Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss the Poconos and those tacky "couples only" resorts

I used to see ads for these in my sister's wedding mags back in the late 80's. There were a lot of ads pushing for Poconos honeymoons and the rooms featured these elevated, clear whirlpool tubs . Has anyone been to one or even been to the Poconos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 10:53 PM

Hilarious.

Can't believe that is still a thing.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 4:11 PM

Lots of them are abandoned and essentially fire traps for the homeless now. I went down a YouTube rabbit hole last year of watching urban ex vids about them. Same with the Borscht Belt resorts...lots of once great, historic properties being reclaimed by nature.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Hotel whirlpool tubs are nasty. I honestly can't believe anyone gets in them.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote]Hotel whirlpool tubs are nasty. I honestly can't believe anyone gets in them.

The same type of people who get in them at the baths.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 4:24 PM

I had a friend with a house in the Poconos, but he ghosted me. Pretty enough.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 4:28 PM

🎶 Now is the perfect time and the season is just right you can play all day and dance into the niiiiight. At beautiful Mount Airy Lodge, all you have to bring, is your love of everythiiiiing.🎶

I’m deciding. Should I go to the Joe Piscopo show or Fred Travelena?

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 4:30 PM

^^TravAlena

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 4:31 PM

Found this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 4:32 PM

VIdeo killed the Radio Star

Cheap Airfare killed the Jewish Alps & the more Goyishe Poconos.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 5:05 PM

This is the commercial I remember as a teenager in the early 1980s. The Poconos was considered a fancy getaway place for many blue-collar New Yorkers. I don't know who goes there now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 5:27 PM

Another enticing commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 5:33 PM

Mosty rabid raccoons, R10

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 6:23 PM

I've always wanted to stay in one of these, but then I thrive in certain types of "tacky" environments.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 6:26 PM

Those heart shaped tubs, in those resorts, make me think of Hefner's tacky Playboy mansion and the grotto.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 6:44 PM

Are these actually for "honeymooners" or are they just swinger resorts?

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 6:55 PM

Poconos used to be anti-Semitic and have "No Jews" signs apparently years ago. Isn't that where Gregory Peck went in the film "Gentlemen's Agreement" to get turned away?

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 6:59 PM

In middle school we went on a ski trip and stayed at Mt. Airy Lodge. I was excited because I knew it from the commercials but it was a dump even in the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 7:03 PM

You can bathe in giant champagne glasses, too.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 7:10 PM

In college I stayed at the Skytop Lodge, a late 1920s resort hotel -- pre-singles retreat era. It's a quite handsome grand pile, a stone Colonial Revival building with wings off in all directions. There was bocce ball on the lawn and older people, lots of posh down-dressed guests, though I think the main restaurant had a strict dress code at dinner.

It was a dead of winter trip and a different sort of place than the cheesy singles motels or the ski resorts, and was a great visit. The rooms were quite expensive at the time, but it was also a full-/part-board rate. We were the youngest people on our own on the hotel, by a couple generations, but I remember the other guests were very nice and chatty, even as we planted ourselves in the lobby for the better part of the stay.

Another time with the same friends I stayed at a rustic cabin rental, but a big one, 1930s-40s with flagstone floors and a massive fireplace, unmodernized and charming because of it. It sat almost on a small road and then terraced down to a stream in back, completely forest.

Both places were great experiences, but I never saw the tawdry bits up close.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 7:19 PM

Skytop Lodge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 7:21 PM

Kimmy Schmidt had an episode where they ran away to one.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 8:02 PM

When I was in fourth grade we went to a conference at Tamiment and I told my parents I knew this girl I saw there and they thought I was crazy. But it turned out she really did go to my school, though it was about 2 1/2 hours away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 8:08 PM

I’ve always found it odd that the Poconos are so trashy. Trashiest mountain retreats in the Northeast. Even the old Borscht Belt is nicer and more interesting. I know there are some decent vacation developments tucked into northeast PA - but all of the hotels, including that nasty gay campground, are trashy. Odd given it’s a perfect weekend trip from NYC or Philly - but I guess the demand is just not there. The rust belt towns and the people like the Goys may be an insurmountable obstacle.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 8:13 PM

These resorts are tacky, but it's a little sad that they are deteriorating. They were kitschy.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 8:22 PM

I remember, years ago, a co-worker was so excited to go with her boyfriend. When she returned, she said it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 8:25 PM

Apparently, this one is still going strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 8:31 PM

Not Poconos but the same concept. Really tacky!

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 8:33 PM

The friend took me to The Skytop for brunch before I was ghosted. They put out a nice spread. No “once around the garden.”

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 10:13 PM

Their heyday was in the 70s. I'm sure they were dumps by the late 80s---by then, going to a Caribbean island where you weren't supposed to leave the resort (but many did, to sample the local culture) was the norm.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 10:31 PM

R16, in [italic]Diner[/italic], doesn't Shrevie suggest to Beth that they go to that resort with the heart-shaped bathtubs? I can't remember if he mentions the Poconos, or if I just assumed he meant the Poconos because of the tubs.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 10:31 PM

He mentioned the Poconos, not the tubs. Not a 50s thing.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 10:34 PM

Thanks, r31. The vagaries of memory. At any rate, I doubt Barry Levinson would have had Shrevie suggest the Poconos if it were considered anti-semitic. It's been decades since I saw [italic]Gentlemen's Agreement[/italic], so I have no idea where the hotel was.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 10:36 PM

Anyone here go to Grossinger’s? That looked nice and not tacky like the Poconos places.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 10:40 PM

I bet Jeff Spaide went for secret assignations.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 10:50 PM

The Madonna Inn is nothing like the places being discussed. Fabulously tacky, yes, but no heart shaped tubs or "love swings".

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 10:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!