Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Americans, do you have a news cycle dedicated to the Uyghurs in China?

Here in Canada opposition parties and the government are debating non-stop whether or not China is committing genocide against the Uyghur people.

Has it even made the news in the US?

by Anonymousreply 71February 23, 2021 11:08 PM

I've seen it mentioned several times on the NBC Evening News in the recent past, but not in the past couple of weeks or so.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 3:33 PM

Uyghur, please. This is the United States. No substantial reporting on this unless one gets away from the mainstream outlets.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 3:33 PM

No. I need that time to read DL countless duplicate threads on Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 3:38 PM

I have heard reports on "Democracy Now!" It is not an every day thing, though.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 3:51 PM

The anchors of the MSNBC evening block have discussed it at various points over the past year, but it's not a point of constant discussion or update.

'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver did a show on the subject this past season.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 4:00 PM

I thought it was spelled Wiggers? I'm so confused now

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 4:48 PM

Americans really don't care.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 5:16 PM

I've read about it in The Atlantic and NYT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 5:19 PM

And:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 5:20 PM

i do now know that Black Lives Matter, however

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 5:23 PM

Yes, OP. The media here are obsessed with Xinjiang-- e.g., CNN, NY Times, Washington Post. Nearly every China-related article mentions Xinjiang. i'm not being sarcastic: it's like the entire English-speaking world is obsessed with it (e.g., BBC, ABC and 60 Minutes in Australia). Almost like there's a hidden hand behind all of the coordinated coverage.

CNN and BBC jumped on the latest horror stories from activists last week. Zero skepticism.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 5:26 PM

The activists call Xinjiang "East Turkmenistan:". Turkmenistan exists, and its culture is the same. There's no "cultural genocide" if their culture has an entire nation to itself, next door, I think. It's like making French Canadians learn English in schools in Ontario. Quebec, their homeland exists, etc.

You have to think critically when all media are stacked up on one side, with zero nuance.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 5:29 PM

There's WAY too much shit going on in the US now for Americans to give a fuck about some tribe of people they've never even heard of.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 5:30 PM

Excuse me, Miss, but with all due respect, I have problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 5:31 PM

No. But it would make a great comedy series. We eliminate one Muslim minority a week: Rohingya, Uighur, Maute.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 5:32 PM

It's absolutely being covered nonstop; if you don't see it, you're not actually reading the paper. Go to Google News and search "China": what results? Read the articles, even if they're about business: they'll mention Xinjiang.

America and its allies are jumping on it eagerly as a way to hammer away at China (like COVID isn't enough). And because, I think, the center-left feels guilty about the Iraq War (being pro-Islam is nearly as fashionable as BLM support in polite society in America and the UK).

They (government, media, academia, military firms) want a cold war with China, and this is one bullet point to justify it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 5:35 PM

What's a Uyghur? Sounds obscene.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 5:37 PM

Wow, OP, I was just reading an unbelievable article about this in The Epoch Times!

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 5:39 PM

And 5,000 critics agree, r18! It was THE BEST article they've ever read!!!

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 5:39 PM

You could be on to something, R16. Here in Canada, the Conservatives are pushing Trudeau's Liberals to declare the situation a genocide. Trudeau so far has been hesitant, and the media has been non-stop in questioning why.

The Conservatives want Trudeau to pull Canada from the 2022 Olympics, but they sure don't want to end trade with China, so I am kind of thinking that this is all just a tactic to hammer China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 5:52 PM

At any rate, the discussion and the vote in the HoC today is pissing off the Chinese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 5:53 PM

Anything that pisses off the CCP is probably a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 5:54 PM

Oh! This just in, the Liberals are going to abstain from voting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 5:55 PM

The Pod Save America guys basically cum when they talk about Xinjiang: they love defending the Uyghurs because it burnishes their woke credentials.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 6:15 PM

Send a bunch of Uyghurs to live in their neighborhood r24. They'll quickly change their opinion.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 6:32 PM

What's to debate?! Concentration camps, gang rapes, cultural destruction,...

Of course China is committing genocide!

Trump is a sadist, so naturally his Maladministration of Miller, Bannon, Flynn, et al. couldn't have cared less.

President Biden has already remonstrated Xi about the Uighurs. I'm expecting actions to follow.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 6:39 PM

What actions?

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 6:42 PM

Most Americans hate Muslims, so they don't care about the Uyghurs.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 6:42 PM

R24, What an absolutely bizarre comment. People defend the Uighurs simply to be considered "woke"? Do you know anything at all about the situation? Because you sound like an imbecile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 6:43 PM

Trump, (Pompeo, actually) is the one who declared it a genocide, R26, not Biden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 6:43 PM

The activists are bullshitters. They said China was destroying their families’ graves: turns out they offered locals modern graveyards to which they could move their relatives’ bodies (traditionally they use fallow lands), and they choose to do so.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 6:54 PM

What r28 said.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 6:54 PM

It’s the most fashionable cause right now, actually There are activists whom the media have elevated to quasi-celebrities. The media trot them out whenever they want to substantiate outlandish claims of abuse.

The bleeding-heart educated public in the West love this stuff. Its the new Tibet. Bring on the concerts and merchandising. Speaking fees for self-appointed ethnic leaders, too.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 6:59 PM

So do Canadians, especially Consevatives, R28, but they're are using the issue to hammer Trudeau.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 7:02 PM

r3 = Xi

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 7:33 PM

Apologies, r3.

Meant r33 = Xi

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 7:34 PM

It's a right-wing conspiracy theory.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2021 7:44 PM

Honestly I really don't care about them, the more the politicians and the media drum it up, the more skeptical I have become of their sobbing stories. If there is anything to be learned from past dealings with those suppressed groups like Falun cult and political dissidents from China, it is they are not innocent either.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 7:48 PM

R12 That is NOT true. First of all, there is NO country called Turkestan. You are thinking about Turkmenistan. And while Uyghur culture is similar to all other cultures in central asia, it is still its own ethnic group. In fact, in China, Uyghurs, Kazaks, Krygz are all their own ethnic group.

In just ten years, China has torn down countless Uyghur historical sights. Many are not able to get passports to leave. People are thrown into camps. Some families are forced to have Han Chinese live with them to “teach them” the right way.

Anyone who calls this anything BUT a genocide is utterly disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 7:55 PM

It looks like all the Boris’s have left the sight and have been replaced with Xiaodongs.

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2021 7:56 PM

R39, I wrote "Turkmenistan", dummy.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2021 7:58 PM

Central Asian countries, esp. the "Stan" countries are a big fucking "whatever" for Americans. We don't really care what goes on there.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2021 8:13 PM

I have seen several reports on it yes.

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2021 8:21 PM

Canadian news networks have covered this all day and are still on it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2021 9:08 PM

R44 Let me guess, before that, it was Kremlin and Alexei Navalny, who is all but forgotten now.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2021 11:01 PM

No, it was Covid, vaccines, the two Canadians detained in China, Keystone pipeline, Line 5, and Trump and Biden, R45.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2021 11:20 PM

oh yes, you are in Canada, the cable news here was all over Navalny three weeks ago, then went all rage on Myanmar, but it looks that story is dying down too.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2021 11:39 PM

i could become a Turkish Men Stan from what i have seen

by Anonymousreply 48February 23, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote] It’s the [bold]most fashionable cause right now[bold], actually There are activists whom the media have elevated to quasi-celebrities. The media trot them out whenever they want to substantiate outlandish claims of abuse. / The bleeding-heart educated public in the West love this stuff. Its the new Tibet. Bring on the concerts and merchandising. Speaking fees for self-appointed ethnic leaders, too.

[quote] It's absolutely being covered nonstop [...] Read the articles, even if they're about business: they'll mention Xinjiang. / [...] I think, the center-left feels guilty about the Iraq War (being [bold]pro-Islam is nearly as fashionable as BLM[/bold] support in polite society in America and the UK).

[quote] The media here are obsessed with Xinjiang-- e.g., CNN, NY Times, Washington Post. Nearly every China-related article mentions Xinjiang. i'm not being sarcastic: it's like the entire English-speaking world is obsessed with it (e.g., BBC, ABC and 60 Minutes in Australia). Almost like there's a hidden hand behind all of the coordinated coverage. / CNN and BBC jumped on the latest horror stories from activists last week. Zero skepticism.

r33 r16 r11 Exactly. Not just the English-speaking world but the West's educated, polite society as well as the usual wokes. I barely read news about China, let alone search for them. But since 2020, my ears have been bleeding hearing non-stop about Uyghurs, BLM, Islam among the liberal circles. But r47 people give zero fucks about Myanmar (I literally hear nothing from otherwise vocal people) because the fashionable cause of the past was Muslim Rohingya.

by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2021 11:38 AM

Sorry for the epic bold failure, I want to die in shame...!

by Anonymousreply 50February 23, 2021 11:39 AM

R44 But Xinjiang is NOT called East Turkmenistan, you idiot. And it does not border Turkmenistan.

Stick to Weibo, you wumao. NMSL.

by Anonymousreply 51February 23, 2021 1:07 PM

Weibo? I think I get that sauce when I order Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 52February 23, 2021 1:54 PM

Who really cares? No one.

by Anonymousreply 53February 23, 2021 1:58 PM

R28, A more accurate observation would be: "Most Americans are completely ignorant of the Uighurs, ......"

by Anonymousreply 54February 23, 2021 3:27 PM

When the Muslim nations stop selling oil to China, I will pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 55February 23, 2021 3:48 PM

Uyghurs? We don't know them.

by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2021 6:02 PM

Uighurs are an easy cause like Tibetans because the West knows nothing about them. They are a perfect, innocent victim. I'm not saying that they are not being victimized by the Chinese, but that it's easy for the media to take them up. Of course politicians like talking about them. Your audiences knows nothing about them either. It's different for issues affecting Latin Americans, Africans and Middle Easterners. Westerners have preconceived notions about them all and at least a little bit of context.

by Anonymousreply 57February 23, 2021 6:09 PM

When you ask the Uyghurs if they use MSG in their cooking and they say no, are they telling the truth?

by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2021 7:23 PM

I'm PRO Gay. Thanks for asking though.

by Anonymousreply 59February 23, 2021 7:30 PM

Canadian news and opposition leaders still talking about this. Nearly 24/7 coverage now for the last several days.

by Anonymousreply 60February 23, 2021 9:19 PM

If they mutilate genitals of either sex, there will be no discussion whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 61February 23, 2021 10:07 PM

R26: Trump’s Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, declared CCP-China’s treatment of Uyghurs as ‘Genocide’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2021 10:13 PM

Meanwhile, President Biden dismissed it as China’s ‘different norms’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2021 10:15 PM

OP You must be joking.

CNN's "Breaking News" is about a golfer in a car accident.....it's the lead story for hours.

by Anonymousreply 64February 23, 2021 10:17 PM

Trump lost, R63. Lost.

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2021 10:24 PM

R65: what has Biden’s stand on CCP CHINA got to do with Trump? I am genuinely curious.

by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2021 10:27 PM

Turkestan is a big region. They have their own countries. They should move next door to Kazakhstan instead of annexing Xinjiang for another Islamic country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2021 10:30 PM

Even if they were reporting on it, what am I supposed to personally do about it?

Well, OP?

In fact, what specifically are YOU doing about this crisis that is currently playing itself out somewhere in the midst of the vast Asian steppe?

Are you a radical freedom fighting guerrilla ready to take on the Chinese from inside Chinese territory?

Or are you sitting on your ass paying your taxes to support the ongoing efforts of your government to bring aside an end to this conflict through diplomatic means .... JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.

by Anonymousreply 68February 23, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote] 'Last Week Tonight' with John Oliver did a show on the subject this past season.

How could that man get any snide laughter out of the subject ?

by Anonymousreply 69February 23, 2021 10:32 PM

I don't care, R68. I just wanted to know if your networks are as obsessed with the story as ours. Sheesh!!

by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2021 10:37 PM

Well, nothing really happens in Canada so they can afford to do constant coverage on these people no one's ever heard of. The US is such an insane asylum we just don't have the time. Shit happens here every hour.

by Anonymousreply 71February 23, 2021 11:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!