Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL couple at home in DC

This couple have to be members of DL. I don't even mean that in a snarky, jokey way...they totally must be a couple of us. I like that the townhouse is purely "them," and that they claim not to decorate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 14, 2021 4:04 AM

OP I love it! They are both very likeable and who knew you could no longer use a dial telephone?!

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 9:38 AM

They're definitely DLers!

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 9:41 AM

They need more pictures ;-)

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 9:45 AM

Reminds me of HM The Queen's study.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 9:49 AM

[quote]Marcus D’Amico dies

That's an understatement of the video.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 9:54 AM

Wrong thread, pet.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 9:55 AM

But they did not use a pencil to dial!

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 9:55 AM

[quote]Somebody once said there is not a lot of space but there are a lot of spaces....

Um yes, Dears they were trying to tell you the place is clutters with knickknacks and book beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 9:56 AM

What's with the Jeffry Dahmer decor? Hanging foot from the ceiling?

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 9:58 AM

I love them and can relate to their clutter!

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 10:01 AM

I was looking forward to a tour of the boudoir!

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 10:02 AM

Cute, this is the painting he’s referencing when he goes upstairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 10:02 AM

They seem genuinely happy which is contrary to bitter DL understanding of elder gays. How dare they!

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 10:06 AM

The sure sign of a DL Decorator is over-decoration and minimal exposed wall space. Yes, these are definitely DL. This could be Pete and Chastains future selves. LoL

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 10:06 AM

Speaking of, what is Chastain doing for work in DC?

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 10:09 AM

Younger gays like Pete and Chastain are not like that anymore. The age of gays collecting thousands or worthless pieces of found objects and elevating them as art will die with the elder gays. These two gentlemen come for a world were traveling and filling your how with things that displayed that publicly was the height of being a worldly sophisticate "homosexual". Gen-X and younger will not be doing that.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 10:16 AM

^^ Back in the day the world was a lot harsher toward Gay couples so they turned inward and made their homes personal sanctuaries, because it was the only place they could relax and be themselves

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 10:21 AM

I covet their disaster wall.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 10:23 AM

I love them and their house. Have us over, boys!

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 10:24 AM

I love them!!! Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 10:25 AM

Fabulous couple. They created a wonderful life together. Bravo to them both.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 10:27 AM

R15 = I wouldn't be surprised if Chastain becomes a lobbyist for non sexual gay dating apps...Remember how much Pete bragged about his imaginary lab baby being created, when he was on the campaign trail?. By the way the link is from three years ago. Pete is probably waiting to have a baby with Husband #2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 10:34 AM

I always thought that there is no reason science cant take a part of each man's DNA and scramble it somehow in the lab to make the male part that fertilized the egg. That way at least half of the kid would truly be part of two men.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 10:45 AM

^^ lol, I don't think biology works that way, but nice thought. The answer is have two kids, a bio from each dad

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 10:49 AM

I like them both, and their house, straightaway. Every room is a sort of library/study/sitting room, which is as it should be in my book. They have interesting things and goofy interesting things, and nothing very precious or fussy or serious, even.

It seems to reflect perfectly the character of its owners. They know a great deal about art and architecture yet they don't aim to make a showplace of either. There's nothing pretentious, just a series of things they like, that mean something to them, that have some design quality or that fit a purpose or an interest.

With a small house, you can go Zen Minimalist and have two old gays fussing about whether the Nakashima table looks better 3mm to the right or exactly where it is...and the place will still look and feel every bit a small house, just a precious and calculated one with the two or three "important" art works meant to measure the level of adulation/envy of the visiting viewer. Or you can fill as you please and it becomes one big small space which is what they've done.

It seems to reflect perfectly the character of its owners; they know a lot about art and architecture yet they don't aim to make a showplace of either. They seem lovely guys, bright, interesting, self-effacing, funny, comfortable with themselves, and at ease in a house that's much the same, a house that's not meant to impress anyone beyond pleasing themselves.

I'd buy the both of them DL subscriptions if they promise to submit a few Tasteful Friends posts.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 10:53 AM

They are wonderful. I bet Skippy the dog sleeps in their bed and has a dog ladder to climb it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 11:04 AM

R25 or even presenting hole!

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote] With a small house, you can go Zen Minimalist [....]Or you can fill as you please....

Completely untrue. Either of those extremes can be taken as evidence of present neuroses. Most people find a way to manage their living space without creating a spartan environment or burying themselves with junk.

These two are the living embodiment of the marketing term, "discretionary income." If they had children to house and to raise and tuition to pay, they would not have amassed 90% of that crap.

In their own odd way, these guys are a great argument for gays having children.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 11:29 AM

Haha! I just watched this the other day! They are a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 11:44 AM

They're nothing but wealthy hoarders who have horded expensive paraphernalia and crap.

They seem nice though.

Lord I hope I don't turn into an old queen like they are.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 11:48 AM

They can't be DLers because I love them.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 11:49 AM

I remember going to some eldergays homes when i was young and they looked just like this in some form and i liked how "sanctuarial' they all felt.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote]If they had children to house and to raise and tuition to pay, they would not have amassed 90% of that crap.

[quote]In their own odd way, these guys are a great argument for gays having children.

^^^^ Found the sniffy, judgmental heterosexual

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 11:50 AM

what a completely odd take at R28

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 11:52 AM

No, you didn't, R33.

First up, I'm a Gold Star Gay and always will be. Secondly, there is nothing judgmental about anything I wrote. It's just obvious. If these two had raised three children, they would have the same wrecked house with broken furniture that most straight seniors call home. And no African masks or self-portraits.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 11:56 AM

Love them but surprised the house hasn't caved in with the weight of all those books and pictures

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 11:56 AM

What is "Gold Star Gay"?

Sounds like a prize you get for being judgemental

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2021 11:59 AM

R35 So you'd prefer everyone live in tacky pig sties?

The other thing that I love about this couple is that I get the sense they both recoil in horror at open floor plans every bit as much as I do.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 11:59 AM

You said that "filling the home as you please" is "evidence of present neuroses," and if they'd had children they wouldn't have filled the house as they pleased with "90% of that crap;" therefore, "these guys are a great argument for gays having children," i.e. if they'd had kids they wouldn't be neurotics hoarding crap.

That's a terrible thing to say, R35, just a nasty little judgment you made for no reason other than to be awful to people who don't deserve it, and it also pushes the idea that breeding is the right way to live, which is about as heteronormative as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 12:00 PM

r37- it's someone who was delivered by Cesarean, so has never been near a vagina.

And given their age, they would have never had the permission to adopt children. Surely there are more straight childless couples with houses like these that have the discretionary income like these two?

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2021 12:03 PM

r40--No-- that's a PLATINUM-Star gay. Gold-Star just means no sex with a female.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2021 12:06 PM

A gay couple only a frau could love.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2021 12:07 PM

I love them, but the amount of stuff makes me a bit anxious. I imagine they probably hire a cleaner to dust it all, what a job that must be. Their little doggy is adorable too. I hope they continue to live long and happy lives in the home they've made together.

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2021 12:08 PM

r14 r15 r16 r22 His name is CHASTEN, not Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2021 12:08 PM

[quote]These two are the living embodiment of the marketing term, "discretionary income." If they had children to house and to raise and tuition to pay, they would not have amassed 90% of that crap.

[quote]In their own odd way, these guys are a great argument for gays having children.

[quote]...there is nothing judgmental about anything I wrote. It's just obvious. If these two had raised three children, they would have the same wrecked house with broken furniture that most straight seniors call home. And no African masks or self-portraits.

I don't want to see the inside of R28/R37's house. Or smell it. It would stink of someone who thinks gays are second-class citizens if they don't aspire to have three children and tuition bills.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2021 12:14 PM

I think you meant R35 and not R37 at R45, but otherwise, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2021 12:19 PM

The dining room on the ground floor is the only thing I didn't like about the home, it must be miserable in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2021 12:20 PM

R47 they're probably in the Seychelles then

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2021 12:26 PM

Yes. Right, R46. And thanks! I meant [R35] and not [R37] .

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2021 12:26 PM

Put three kids in that house for a year and see what's left.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2021 12:32 PM

They must work at the Smithsonian. (Or used to) They seem really fun and good humored for living in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2021 12:33 PM

if the parents discipline them properly, all will be fine, as was my home growing up

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2021 12:34 PM

How many orphans has R35 rescued? We're waiting, Miss Gold Star.

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2021 12:37 PM

I love their house. It's old, full of character and is filled with beautiful, interesting things...kind of how I'd like to have my home.

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2021 12:40 PM

Anyone single...or coupled, gay or straight...who never had children, would have discretionary income to spend pretty much as they please. Nothing wrong with that. I know people like that. Maybe the ones with the kids are a little envious?

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2021 12:47 PM

Cute house but I can smell the dust and moldy wood from here. And my house is a mere 160 years old.

It does look cozy but impossible to have even a Medium sized party in. Could you imagine being in that ancient, cramped little space for a cocktail party and a fire breaks out?

With all the books and tchotchkes everywhere, I hope there’s a fire extinguisher every 10 feet.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2021 12:52 PM

@r45,r46 and r49

Whew! I'm glad we cleared that up

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2021 12:53 PM

I lived in DC for a number of years, wish I got to know them. DC's gay community is huge.

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2021 1:20 PM

I love them and their house. Not my taste of decor - a little too much - but I respect that every piece is bought for beauty or meaning. The reason many gay men’s houses are stuffed with “Knick-knacks” may be we appreciate beauty more - we are more affected by a beautiful or interesting piece of art than most. Or at least we used to be. Good taste + wide travels + long life = accumulation of interesting beautiful things.

A Georgetown townhouse is the perfect place to display their stuff. They represent the best of DC - educated, non-wealth obsessed but comfortable older gay men living a good life surrounded by history.

I love how he throws in the “I’m a Ghiradelli and was supposed to take over the company but my parents sold it” - so I was forced to study art history and travel the world. Clearly inherited wealth allowed/allows him to live a comfortable life.

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2021 1:31 PM

I love them, and, except for all the knickknack's, I hope to be as happy and fun as they are when I'm that age.

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2021 2:31 PM

I love them! Thanks for posting OP

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2021 2:32 PM

I notice a vintage turquoise Fiesta dinner plate in the dish drainer (7:38).

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2021 3:40 PM

I love their enthusiasm for the artifacts they discovered when redoing the floor.

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2021 3:40 PM

Hate the decor, so fussy and over the top.

But the guys are genuinely nice and interested in the world. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2021 3:48 PM

It looked like the front door in the living room. Surely the kitchen and dining room are in the basement?

by Anonymousreply 65February 22, 2021 5:44 PM

Here's a great interview with one of them. Truly engaged with those around him. If we all had neighbours like these the world would be terrific

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 22, 2021 5:47 PM

OP, I knew who you were referring to before I clicked on the link. I saw this video on YouTube a few weeks ago and immediately thought of DL.

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2021 6:11 PM

Another DC eccentric, I love this home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2021 6:16 PM

R66: I just barely knew Tom Birch when I lived in DC, but I knew a lot about him. We had connections among friends and acquaintances and civic associations, and no one of those people who worked with him or knew him to whatever extent ever had the least unkind word or guarded praise for him, ever. He was well liked and well respected by everyone it seemed, and to such a degree as to be remarkable (in a town where everyone seeks to put their own interests above speaking too well of someone else.)

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2021 8:48 PM

LOL. They're sweet and it seems like they have a great life.

But there's no edge to them, they can't be DLers. They didn't even call Allison a cunt, not even in a nice way.

by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2021 9:37 PM

The precisely folded gingham napkin covering the ancient flat screen tv in the kitchen gives them away as DLers, (as if nothing else did). For someone with a degree in art history, and a career in a museum, their art is very pedestrian, and mostly junk. Surprising. But they're fun, so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2021 10:08 PM

[quote]For someone with a degree in art history, and a career in a museum, their art is very pedestrian, and mostly junk. Surprising.

R71: Why does the famous and famously rich fashion designer have as his own uniform a pair of Levi's and a white tee- shirt? Why does the famous and very rich architect live in an historic house and not one of his own design?

It's a burden when people expect that the expert have perfect taste and the budget to match. The expectation is not for a modestly valued painting by an artist the art historian finds underrated and unknown and undervalued, they expect instead a big name artist with a big name price. Few art historians are in the same league as major collectors and major museums, so they develop quirky, unexpected collecting interests. Besides, their are ethical issues (applied differently by geography and institution) related to collecting in one's own sphere of expertise, so many museum people don't collect at home in the same way they advocate for their museums' collections.

by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2021 10:30 PM

They are cute and fun. Could couples like that still be having sex with each other?

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2021 10:43 PM

[quote] their (sic) are ethical issues (applied differently by geography and institution) related to collecting in one's own sphere of expertise,

Nonsense...most experts collect in their fields of expertise. You just don't bid against the hand that feeds you,

by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2021 10:44 PM

I L❤️VE these 2 fabulous queens 👸👸!

I want to dress up as a cute, stray dog and yelp until they take pity on me and adopt me.

Their home is absolutely lovely.

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2021 10:54 PM

[quote]Nonsense...most experts collect in their fields of expertise. You just don't bid against the hand that feeds you,

R74. It was commonplace in the past but by and large the practice of collecting in one's own field of expertise has come under increasing scrutiny over the past four decades. The Smithsonian (of which the Hirshhorn is part) is fairly strict on this issue of overlapping interests - more than just now bidding against one's employer.

I picked the first example I found, from the American Alliance of Museums, ' A Code of Ethics for Curators." There was a huge flurry of publication on this topic from the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2021 11:16 PM

Just kill me if I ever turn into that, I can smell the mold and mildew from those books.

by Anonymousreply 77February 23, 2021 3:28 AM

They're adorable, but I foresee an ugly ending with a rentboy.

by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2021 3:31 AM

They seem familiar to me. I think that somewhere over the past 35 years I likely met one or both of them here in DC. And, I wouldn’t be surprised if my dearly departed friend David, (who had been the only other person I have ever known who was a Datalounger) knew these two. Charming gents.

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2021 6:12 AM

[quote]These two are the living embodiment of the marketing term, "discretionary income." If they had children to house and to raise and tuition to pay, they would not have amassed 90% of that crap.

That's BS. I'v seen many straight couples that spend a fortune on their house and cars, kids live off McDonald in an bland room with bed and some toys. No money for college etc. You have some kind of idealized parenting issue.

This is more an example of a Boomer thing, money, objects, things over people or experience. I know couples both straight and gay who have money and no kids and their place looks nothing like these guys house.

by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2021 8:03 AM

@r78, "They're adorable, but I foresee an ugly ending with a rentboy. "

Oh honey, no, it's the "rentboys" that keep the spice in their life. They and Lady G use the same service ;-)

by Anonymousreply 81February 23, 2021 9:57 AM

Some of you bitches just can't tolerate a happy older gay couple with a fulfilled life.

by Anonymousreply 82February 23, 2021 3:14 PM

The "Claire de Lune" score on the piano is a bit pretentious. I doubt either of them can play that....

by Anonymousreply 83February 23, 2021 5:32 PM

I see a Grindr double murder in their future.

by Anonymousreply 84February 23, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]I love how he throws in the “I’m a Ghiradelli and was supposed to take over the company

So he's a fudgepacker?

by Anonymousreply 85February 23, 2021 6:55 PM

They really are a fun couple.

by Anonymousreply 86May 13, 2021 9:55 PM

I love it and they’re an example of high queen I find adorable. Not everything has to have a designer name attached, but most of the stuff has a good story.

As far as accumulating lots of shit, flea marketing on foreign trips is common. It’s cheaper and less structured than some bullshit guided tour. Visit enough and the souvenirs pile up. All those miniature prints and paintings flat pack into luggage without an issue.

As far as books, the place is a reference library that’s easier to cite than google search. Internet search was made for people who didn’t have this access and only needed snippets of information.

Plenty of these old row houses end up with “ground floors” beneath street level because they were built before modern municipal water and sewer lines or paved streets. The only issue would be hydro-whatever (it’s water seeping up and it’s seasonal).

by Anonymousreply 87May 14, 2021 4:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!