Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Learning as an adult

I love learning for the sake of learning as an adult.

No test, no grades—just to be informed by experts.

In NYC I went to a number of great One Day University lectures. It brought in highly ranked university professors to discuss issues like music, art, religion economics, politics, etc. It would be held in a hotel ballroom with thousands of attendees. Now, it’s gone virtual with Zoom lectures.

I’ve also done a few Great Courses but they require a big commitment to get through hours on a single topic. My local library has a whole wall of Great Courses CDs so I’ve never had to pay for them, thankfully.

How about you?

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2021 7:35 PM

I'm watching a paleontology video on youtube as I type!

But that's just interesting stuff, I won't be taking any official courses until I retire.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 2:50 AM

I watch PBS. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 3:21 AM

iTunes has tons of free university lectures

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 3:22 AM

You audited the classes OP?

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 3:23 AM

R4, no, One Day University is a company that goes to a number of cities and sponsored one day of university-level lectures. It cost about $160.

They come to NYC a few times a year and literally thousands go. They advertise with full page ads in The NY Times.

I’ve been to three such events (each had 6 lectures) and it was amazing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 3:34 AM

OP - Thank you! I just googled it and signed up for the 1st month - so many of the topics sound super - PT Barnum and World War 2 in the next few days - I have never heard of One Day University before - this will really be a pleasure!

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 3:56 AM

I love continuing to learn, OP. It's fun and fascinating.

My latest thing is the history of Malta, which is shockingly amazing for such a small, seemingly insignificant island- archipelago in the Med. It's tiny neighbor Gozo is smaller than Manhattan Island. Malta was the most bombed place on earth in WW2 - 15,000 tonnes of bombs fell there - even though it's only 17 miles long and 9 miles wide. It's the only country in the world to be awarded the George Cross. The George Cross was very rarely awarded as a rule, but the entire population of the island was given the GC. That's how amazing their WW2 story was.

Even before that, tiny Malta was a byword for bravery across all of Europe. The Maltese stopped a massive Muslim invasion of Italy in 1565, with only 500 Knights and about 3000 untrained locals who somehow fended off 40, 000 Ottomans. That alone is an incredible story of unreal bravery and heroism.

It's wonderful to fall in love with a subject. I hope you find a few subjects you really love OP, and happy learning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 4:12 AM

Woo-hoo, DL. I just went to One Day University's homepage and the first thing I saw was "Four Memorable Musicals that Changed Broadway", with a poster for Company.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 4:15 AM

Australian company Academy Travel has been doing online lectures and courses to keep their tour guides in work since the pandemic started. They're all academically qualified, and many are part-time academics when not travelling, so they know plenty about the history and culture of the places they speak of. Prices are from $AUD25 to about $200 (that's 20% less in USD), depending what you sign up for. There are also free podcasts called The Thinking Traveller. I'm a fan, not a shill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 4:24 AM

I love One Day University! It chooses university professors that have won teaching awards so they are all so engaging.

The only thing is very America-centric. I would want some courses about the history of other countries.

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2021 7:15 PM

R7, interesting info!

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2021 7:16 PM

I used to hate school, because I felt like a lot of the stuff I was being taught wouldn't be useful to me in my life. I mean, when was I ever going to use algebra? But as I've grown older, I'd discovered myself becoming more and more curious and learning on my own. I read more for pleasure than I did back then.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2021 7:19 PM

The Open University in the UK has hundreds of free taster courses for people to try, and they are in a broad range of subjects.

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2021 7:20 PM

I forgot- when I lived in London I often went to lunchtime talks at the National Gallery. It was terrific to hear experts discuss notable paintings in great detail, explaining the history and context of the times they were painted. I learned a huge amount.

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2021 7:28 PM

Love art lectures!

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2021 7:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!