Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers: The Most Underrated Horror Villain?

We can name a number of films that deserve a spot in the annals of horror history, including Carrie, The Shining, Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist, and Cannibal Holocaust, among others. It’s impossible to ignore the notorious legacies that these films have left behind, but what makes a truly memorable horror flick are the characters that comprise their respective universes.

In a genre designed solely to terrify moviegoers, it’s the villains that make or break a franchise. Whether it’s Freddy Kruger, Jason Vorhees, Mike Myers, or The Thing, these characters have come to define what the genre is truly about, setting the tone for the fictional copycat serial killers and shapeshifting aliens that follow.

However, the world of horror does not just revolve around the iconic names, most of which have ended up in a list of the best horror movies of all time by Viral Baby. There are also characters that deserve a lot more of the spotlight. Lying at the periphery are characters that are just as scary and memorable, but lack the inertia needed to solidify their own legacies. In this article, we make the case for a certain horror movie villain that should have gained more attention from fans of the genre: the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers.

Horror villains have their own idiosyncrasies. For one, the Creeper is both man and monster. It knows how to drive a truck, stitches the bodies of its victims on the ceiling of its lair, and uses a variety of tools and traps to hunt down its prey. At the same time, it has the ability of flight and it can sprout wings which, we all know, is bad news for protagonists in any horror movie.

The creature has also proven to be troublesome to protagonists, with all three films in the series having the same outcome — the Creeper is defeated and returns to its 23-year slumber with the heroes expecting it to continue its killing spree.No one has come close to destroying the Creeper once and for all. Will we ever see the end to the monster’s hunger? It’s hard to tell at this point, but there is enough space for the original creators to play around with the Creeper’s lore.

The third installment hints at the possibility of extending the franchise, but while the Creeper doesn’t get as much fanfare as the Jigsaws and the Michael Myers of the horror world, it sure has the potential to be among the greatest horror movie villains ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2021 8:53 PM

It doesn’t get attention because of pedo Victor Salva.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 12:06 PM

The Creeper is one of the scariest monstrous entities in the history of horror films. My friend Bert brought it home from the video loaning shop in the late 90s and we watched it twice on the trot. I find the first one to be the best, of course being partial to the many cats, but the others will be excellent watches too, and a box set would be a worthwhile investment for horror film fans. I don't know the others the way I know the original.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 12:12 PM

Jeepers Creepers came out in 2001, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 12:15 PM

Jonathan Breck is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 12:33 PM

I personally consider Jeepers Creepers to be one of the best horror films of the 2000s (and in the top 100 of all time).

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 12:36 PM

This movie has a strong sense of real horror. I believe its because the director is a real life child predator and showed us a real creepers thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 12:36 PM

The first Jeepers Creepers was loaded with homoerotic subtext and imagery.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 12:38 PM

But he was just Mr. Carswell, the bank president!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2021 12:44 PM

R7, you mean the second right?

The first movie is just two actors. The second movie has the bus load of hot guys. The first movie is better overall but the second is really fun too.

There’s a third one? Any good?

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2021 1:01 PM

R9 You're right. The second movie is the one that's overflowing with homoeroticism.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 1:18 PM

I swear I've seen the third one but I can't remember a thing about it, so now I'm thinking I've only seen two.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2021 1:24 PM

In the first movie, The Creeper is ONLY interested in Justin Long, with hints of homoeroticism.

In JC2, aside from all of the hot athletes, there is talk about one of the boys being caught at a gay bar. The Creeper only targets the males, sniffing them and pointing out his favorites. Very gay.

Also, Justin Long's ghost appears and flashes his sexy stomach, including his tattooed belly button.

However, knowing the director is a pedo, it's disturbing to note his focus on the blond boy at the beginning of JC2. The boy is fired in golden light, highlighting his blond hair and blue eyes. The Creeper is really perving on him and eventually gets him. It's disgusting.

JC3 was made on the cheap and is dreadful. But there are lots and lots of hot guys in it. Also, The Creeper uses that hole puncher spear on a few of the guys, which is a clear metaphor for fucking them while he kills them.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2021 1:29 PM

The boy is FILMED in golden light...

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2021 1:30 PM

The Creeper is a gay pederast. So if you aren't in proximity to a very young, sexually attractive man you have no reason to be afraid.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2021 2:34 PM

That’s basically it in a nutshell, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2021 2:37 PM

Also in JC2, hunky daddy Ray Wise lives with his cute adult son (and the younger son whom the director pervs on) with no woman in sight, nor even a mention of a wife or mother.

Gay, gay, (and creepy pedo focus on the younger son).

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2021 3:05 PM

[quote] Jeepers Creepers came out in 2001, [R2].

Me friend burt encountered a time machine at the chip shop, he did. Driven by many cats. They took him on a journey to a video loaning shop of the future, where burt saw and grabbed a video called “jeepers creepers, the first one.”

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2021 3:21 PM

I enjoyed Powder and Jeeper Creepers 1 and 2. I remember hearing vague rumblings of controversy but figured it was being blown out of proportion but it sounds like he really did abuse a young kid. How does someone serve 5 months in jail for something like that and then get the green light to write and direct a big budget studio film?

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2021 3:37 PM

'Powder' did not have a VAGUE rumbling of controversy. It was a BIG controversy!

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2021 3:38 PM

Which one had the guys laying out shirtless on top of the school bus?

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2021 3:39 PM

R20 That was Jeepers Creepers 2.

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2021 3:42 PM

Jeepers Creepers 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2021 3:43 PM

Justin Long gave a very good performance in the 1st, JC. Surprisingly so.

I'll always watch it if it's on, genuinely creepy film.

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2021 3:44 PM

R22 The part where the creeper licks the glass freaked the hell out of me the first time I saw this movie.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2021 3:49 PM

The thing I hated about the first one was when they went back to the church. I have never been more compelled to yell at the screen then at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2021 3:52 PM

I was 10 or 11 when I watched it on a Friday night, my older brother rented it and teased me about being too scared to watch it. My mom warned me not to watch it as she and my dad went off to bed. I knew from the first scene that this wasn't a movie for me, but I thought Justin Long was really cute and wanted to be tough around my brother. Safe to say it scared the shit out of me.

I had to sleep with the light in my room for probably a week. My mother gave me the, "I told you so" speech the next morning. My dad didn't care. He'd bring my brother and I too see a double feature at the drive in that included Chucky as the second feature when I wasn't even in 1st grade. He and my brother find scary movies to be funny, I couldn't find the humor at such a young age, just fear.

Yes, I know I was a big baby, but the movie terrified me. I was also in love with Justin Long so the ending hurt my pre-teen soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2021 5:14 PM

Verificatia of Creeper size meat?

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2021 5:23 PM

The 2nd one sucked and I never bothered with the 3rd one. The first one is terrifying for the first half until it turns into a full scale monster movie and The Creeper sprouts wings and starts flying away with people. It got silly.

The first half of the film was inspired by a great episode of Unsolved Mysteries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote] I enjoyed Powder and Jeeper Creepers 1 and 2. I remember hearing vague rumblings of controversy but figured it was being blown out of proportion but it sounds like he really did abuse a young kid. How does someone serve 5 months in jail for something like that and then get the green light to write and direct a big budget studio film?

It's a mystery to me!

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2021 6:43 PM

R26 = linky stinky

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2021 7:24 PM

I LOVE them, even the terrible third one. Unfair to tell us "we know what you are" and never do a fourth.

by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2021 7:31 PM

It's kind of mind blowing that a guy who videotaped himself raping one of his child actors only served a brief sentence and was hired by DISNEY a few years later. He's never working again, fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2021 7:45 PM

Oh now I vaguely remember the third one. I remember a scene of guys finding the truck, and then running away on bicycles and getting speared. I don't remember much else about it.

It's hard to do sequels because each one has to be 23 years into the future from the last one. You can pull that off once, MAYBE twice, but it gets harder and harder to make it seem like it's been 46 or even 69 years since the first one...

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2021 7:53 PM

Apparently there is a Jeepers Creepers 4 in production, sorta. I guess Covid delayed it a bit.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2021 7:56 PM

R34 no there isn't. The only mention of it is on movie sites that have the integrity of the National Enquirer. The 3rd movie bombed and Salva is radioactive

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2021 8:00 PM

you bitches have me watching this now.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2021 8:01 PM

Can't get any more blatant than this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2021 9:49 PM

[quote]I LOVE them, even the terrible third one

Me too, the third one has a really low rating on imdb.com (3.9) but it's still more entertaining than most horror sequels

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 5:08 PM

The 3rd was okay, but you can tell he had nothing for a budget.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 5:17 PM

R39 which isn't shocking in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 2:56 AM

I confused Gina Philips with Laura San Giacomo and I don’t dislike either one of them. It must have been Justin Long or my year of drinking.

Sorry, Gina and/or Laura!

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2021 3:11 AM

I love that scene when they're on the bus and the Creeper is choosing his meals. The way he was looking at that black teen was so insanely frightening.

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2021 3:15 AM

It’s not lost on the viewer, either, that the Creeper steals a pubescent, blond-haired boy at the beginning of JC2. Salva was pretty blatant with such imagery, and you view such scenes and the movie in a different light when you know Salva’s history. In today’s climate, Salva wouldn’t get the actors, money or studio time to make any of these movies, and we’re not talking such a long time ago that he did.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2021 9:53 PM

Nothing more terrifying than Meg Foster’s face in Jeepers Creepers 3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 24, 2021 4:26 AM

Damn, Johnathan Breck's audition for the creeper was hot as fuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2021 12:04 PM

R35 here. Guess I'm eating my hat. I wouldn't want this movie on my slate. Not worth the headache IMO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2021 8:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!