Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Drs or Nurses

I had colon resection 6.5 years ago. I had abdominal pain back in May in the area where my stoma had been. My dr did a CT & said i was only constipated. A few days ago the pain returned. It was so painful it became hard for me to get up from a lying position. I thought I pulled a muscle & I took laxative in case I was constipated. Yesterday when I took a shower it looked a little swollen, but I thought I was imagining it. But today when I took shower it was undeniable swollen & scar is red & my abdomen is warm to the touch near the swelling. Of course, it’s Saturday going into Sunday because this medical shit always happens on a weekend.

I put triple antibiotic cream on it. I don’t have a fever, but I never have a fever, not since I was a kid. Can a scar get infected 6 years after surgery.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 6:57 PM

Most urgent care places are open on Sunday. Go in tomorrow. That it is warm to the touch is a worrisome sign OP and should you have an infection, you need to get started on antibiotics ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 3:49 AM

You may as well skip that step and go straight to the ER because they'll most likely want to do imaging and urgent care places don't typically have that available.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 3:54 AM

First go to Urgent Care so you don't have to pay through the nose on an ER visit that may, or may not be necessary. If Urgent Care can't handle it, they'll know what to do. If they refer you to the ER you will end up paying less because it is considered a referral and not a drop in.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 3:58 AM

My guess is that you have internal adhesive scar tissue connecting the scar to your colon and somehow it has torn, causing, as others have said, an infection. Frankly, you could be going septic and need to get into an ER now.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 4:00 AM

While you are deciding what to do, OP...

Can we have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 4:06 AM

Many possibilities. You may have adhesions which could happen years after surgery or it was asymptomatic until now. If you have an inflammatory process going on inside your abdomen (from whatever the cause) it can make the adhesions worse. Alternatively, whatever inflammatory process is happening inside your abdomen is causing the scar tissue to be reactive, so it’s a secondary response as opposed to primary cause.

I would go to the ED to be checked out just to be on safe side. What’s concerning to me are obvious clinical signs of infection, you being afebrile notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 4:10 AM

R5 I think I'd pass on the stuff this time, because you just know that somewhere in that house is a little box with that section of removed colon inside.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 4:14 AM

I'm a Dr. Nurse (NP w/ a PhD): I second the above replies. You need to go to the ED for imaging. I'm guessing something with adhesions and/or fibrotic scar tissue.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2021 4:24 AM

I’ll have to go tomorrow. Right now I’m so tired I can’t take a shower, which I need to do because my hair is dirty. I haven’t been shampooing it more than twice a week because my scalp gets dry. I’m also going to have to drive to a walk-in clinic that is outside the local hospital cachement area. The hospital staff & I did NOT get along when I went there for my blockage. They kept trying to discharge me (on a weekend, of course). IThey hated that I turned out to have exactly what I told them I had (it runs in my mother’s family). So I can’t go to a walk-in that will send me to the local place.

I need some sleep. My dr is 1.5 hr away (I don’t trust the local doctors after I had that hospital debacle.) I’m passing flatus ok. I’ll let yiu know tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2021 4:40 AM

Get some sleep OP, and seriously PLEASE let us know how it went when you get back tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 4:43 AM

Well, let us know if you wake up dead tomorrow, R9.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2021 4:44 AM

But at least the corpse will have clean hair.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2021 4:46 AM

Are you still with us, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2021 2:15 PM

I’m still here. The area of my abdomen is red & swollen but I’m passing flatus & bm (I know it’s TMI but you really need to do those things to make sure yiu don’t have a full intestinal blockage). I have a feeling it’s cellulitis. My scar has one part that looks like a little hole. Looks like the dr didn’t put a stitch there. Since my sewage pipes are working, I’ll wait til Monday & call my dr rather than deal with walk-ins & local hospital. My husband will give me a ride to my dr tomorrow. Last week it was super cold outside so I didn’t open my trunk for my groceries.....I just jumped in my car & put groceries on passenger seat. One bag of groceries flew out into the floor when I had to stop short. While at a red light I quickly leaned forward reached over to gather the groceries & my seat belt snapped me back. Some kind of safety feature. It felt like it might’ve cut me but I forgot all about it until yesterday.

I’ll call the dr tomorrow & send hee a photo of the swelling/redness/bruise.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2021 8:41 PM

Thanks for the update, OP. Let us know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2021 11:56 PM

Went to my dr who sent me to the ER & I’m getting admitted. Getting fluids and antibiotics. They’re not sure what’s wrong with me but they don’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 9:35 PM

Forgot to sign my post at R15

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 9:41 PM

sent up prayers that all is well.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 9:47 PM

Hang in there, OP, & let us know what’s going on. I’m glad you’re at the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 9:47 PM

Keep us updated, OP. Sending healing vibes.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 9:49 PM

*hugs* OP.

Please give us an update in the future. No rush for now.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 9:53 PM

Sending you positive vibes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 10:00 PM

GL OP

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 10:06 PM

Sending healing vibes OP. Keep us updated. When one of us DL bitches go down (not like that) the rest of us bitches are a pretty fucking impressive support group, so don't be shy about checking in if you are feeling wigged out or just need some encouragement or a chat.

*muah*

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 10:30 PM

Keep up the fight OP. Been down that road with a section of my colon removed and polyps so while it seems like hell now, it will pass.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 10:32 PM

Thanks. My kidneys are a little funky. But don’t know what this abdominal thing is

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 10:40 PM

Sending good wishes your way, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 10:59 PM

It looks much better after getting IV Vanco & Zosyn. Don’t know if they’ll need to do an I&D yet. Hopefully it improves.

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2021 1:41 PM

Hi OP, thanks for updating and with some good news! Forgive my ignorance, what is an I&D?

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2021 2:47 PM

Fingers crossed for you OP. So glad that you went to get it looked at.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2021 2:53 PM

Good luck OP We are all hoping for the best

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 3:07 PM

I & D = incision & drainage

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 3:18 PM

Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 3:25 PM

Thinking of you OP. How are you feeling today?

Any news from the resident head-scratchers as to what might be going on?

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2021 6:51 PM

Wondering how you're doing, OP. Let us know when you can.

by Anonymousreply 35February 26, 2021 2:42 AM

Went to the OR and was drained. I’m still in the hospital because my wound cultures aren’t back yet & I’m on some heavy duty IV antibiotics. They have to know what the bacteria is in order to send me home on the right antibiotics. Infectious disease dr said that I can’t go home til Monday.

Thank you for good thoughts. I’m cracking up in here. I’m not in a lot of pain. At first I was because they took away the anti inflammatory I take for arthritis (because I had abnormal kidney labs) & I was in agony. But I talked the medical guy into giving me some ibuprofen and I’m a lot better than I was. But you know, if you’ve been in a hospital, what it’s like to be bored, stuck in a bed, scared, away from your routine. And I have a roommate and have severe social anxiety & can’t think if what to say when they are admitted to the room and they think I’m weird & they're right. It’s not fun. They have visiting hours but my husband won’t visit me because he’s mad I went to a hospital more than an hour away from where we live. Meanwhile, he worked across the street from here for 30 yrs commuting 3x a week from home. He’s a dick.

by Anonymousreply 36February 26, 2021 9:25 PM

I'm sorry your husband is being a dick. He might be scared so reverting to being a dick like mine does when he is scared or worried. You aren't alone, you have us. I have horrible social anxiety and feel terrible you ended up with a "roommate". I assume you have pleaded your case to try and get your own room. Maybe see if they can at least give you some Xanax to help get through all of this stress. Earplugs help too. Ask for some headphones so you can wear them even if you aren't listening to anything to keep you from feeling like you have to be sociable.

I know that Monday seems far, but hang in there the best you can.

How's the food?

by Anonymousreply 37February 26, 2021 9:52 PM

Speedy recovery, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2021 10:19 PM

Food’s not bad but I have littlw appetite & I've been ordering soup mostly, sugar free Italian ice, tea. Ate a sandwich for lunch. Had hummus, pita & raw baby carrots yesterday. Lunch is my big meal. Yogurt for breakfast, soup for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2021 10:31 PM

r39 Unless you have known problems with it, DEMAND Ambien 10 mg (and NOT extended release. )It will knock you out right away but with no hangover in the morning. You need to do your best to sleep/rest through this ghastly shit you are going through. Sleep really does heal, so whatever you can do or ask for, do it.

Happy to hear the food isn't total shit. I can totally understand that your appetite isn't likely active to put it mildly. Do what you can eating wise. though. From what I have learned It's good not to eat later in the day/night, make lunch your bigger meal if you can, with wee bites at dinner time. You will likely sleep better not having a full meal in yer bellay!

by Anonymousreply 40February 27, 2021 8:38 AM

Hey - OP - Where are you? What happened? Are you okay?

by Anonymousreply 41February 27, 2021 4:52 PM

It's almost Monday OP! Are you getting discharged for sure? No last minute "we want to keep you longer" stress, I hope?

by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2021 11:08 PM

Thinking of you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2021 11:18 PM

Please update us OP!

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 1:07 AM

Officially worried about OP

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2021 2:32 AM

OP, don't make us hunt you down! We WILL find you.

Did your asshole husband do some Chris Watts shit?

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2021 12:32 PM

Maybe their phone ran out of juice from surfing the web all day out of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2021 4:54 PM

I’m discharged with home health care. I’m the guinea fowl DLer. Had guineas since 2012. Was down to one guinea. I asked my husband to please, please make sure he got seeds & water because he can’t wander right now to look for insects. It’s too cold & he was attached by a hawk in the arborvitae hedge & I had to rescue him. He was doing well as long as he stayed close to the house. End of winter is when hawks get desperate for food.

Been calling & calling him...no answer. Looked out window & saw a few feathers on ground next to arborvitae. Went outside, found all of his feathers and his head. Having heard his screams the first time he was attacked, I can’t imagine what he went through as the hawk tore him apart. He was probably calling me thinking I would rescue him again. And I’m SURE my lazy husband never fed him because he’s too busy gabbing on the phone all day & all night.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2021 5:06 PM

Is this for real or have we been had?

OP what kind of medicine are you taking? You don't sound all there.

If we have been had, *I* will go Chris Watts on your ass.

If not, you need to try and find somewhere else to stay if possible. Or get him to stay somewhere else. He sounds like a complete asshole, a useless one on top of it. That is hardly a healing environment you have come home to. Please let us know (if this is real) what is going on and what specifically the doctors told you about your situation. What antibiotics did they send you home with?

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote] You don't sound all there.

Oh really?

What *should* I sound like to please you?

by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2021 6:46 PM

Well whatever the "doctors" have you on, it sure has you feisty. You don't want to tell us what they said, fine. Sorry about your bird if that also really happened. Very sorry about your choice of husband if he actually exists. You had some very nice well wishes from posters who cared and were concerned. I, for one, am removing myself from that list.

I know you don't care, neither do I.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 6:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!