Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why wasn't Carrie Ingalls homeschooled?

I never read the Little House of the Prairie books, but I find it a bit hard to believe that the TV version Ma and Pa Ingalls would allow her daughter to attend Walnut Grove one-room school with all those heathen children, including that horrible slut Nellie Olsen. I know there wouldn't be any good stories without Mary, Laura, and Carrie going to the town school, but that small detail has always bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 4:55 PM

And why was Ma Ingalls such a religious nut job?

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 11:05 PM

Because Ma needed some "me" time every day.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 11:11 PM

They hated that little bitch. One time hey even tried to throw her down a steep hill. Unfortunately for Ma & Pa, she rolled to the bottom of the hill and got right back up.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 11:31 PM

Carrie did not seem to be the brightest bulb on the Ingalls tree...

if you know what I mean

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 12:16 AM

She was a retard, and no one wanted to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 12:24 AM

Frontier mothers didn't have time to teach their children their letters, they had to look over a wood stove and make soap so they could wash the laundry in a pot and chop wood for the fires and birth another baby and change the nappies on the ones that weren't toilet trained yet! If a kid stayed home instead of going to school, they'd be put to work and not educated.

If kids were home-schooled, it was usually because they were just too damn far from a school to make the trip. I did read a memoir by someone who'd grown up dirt poor in the last days of the Frontier, in the early 20th century when the rest of the world was putting in electric lights and bragging that the Titannic would be unsinkable. She'd do chores or run around loose all day while the adults tried to make a go of the farm, and in the evenings her mother or grandfather would sit down and educate her using the only book in the house - a dime novel about Kit Carson. Somehow they used that book to teach her spelling and writing and mathematics, and she grew up to be a writer. After giving up on the farm, moving to town, and going to a real high school, of course.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 3:18 AM

"they had to look over a wood stove "

COOK, dammit!

Fucking keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 3:19 AM

The real question is why wasn’t Carrie Bradshaw homeschooled? She might not have developed that crippling addiction to expensive shoes.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2021 3:20 AM

Carrie was a fall down drunk who sounded like she had a mouthful of marbles whenever she talked. She should have been put down.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2021 3:52 AM

I don't think they called it "home schooled" back then. Besides, she was a girl and as Pa said, "What's the point?"

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 11:12 PM

Here we go again....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 12:15 AM

She was probably obsterperous!

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 12:52 AM

I AM NOT RETARDED!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 12:55 AM

The reason parents homeschool now - to keep their children steeped in ignorance, subject to their complete control and belief system, isolated from mandated abuse reporters like teachers and school nurses - didn't really exist then. Education was considered a desirable thing, but physical punishment of children wasn't frowned on, by either parents or teachers, and if you weren't a practicing Christian you kept your mouth shut about it.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 1:03 AM

Carrie Ingalls,

Carrie White,

Carrie Bradshaw

Those sluts all should have been home schooled!

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote]I AM NOT RETARDED!!!!

My mother says that's what the poor retarded girls always say...

Have you seen my new dress and bonnet?

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 1:21 AM

Home schooled or homeschooled?

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 2:26 AM

Wasn’t Carrie “special”? I don’t remember her ever being in school. She must have just ate paste.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 3:18 AM

Teachers are free babysitters. Just look at all the parents in 2021 complaining about their kids being home. I can only imagine it was worse in Walnuts Grove.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 3:24 AM

Land sakes!

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 3:26 AM

My gods, R11. The copier of threads needs to be banned from DL. It's happening with every third or fourth thread now.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 3:32 AM

Poor R21, she doesn't wear underwear

her dresses are made from feed sacks

and her butt smells like poop

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 3:59 AM

[quote]The copier of threads needs to be banned from DL.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!