Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Listen without Prejudice Vol. 1

George Michael's second solo album where he refused to appear in the videos which gave birth to the supermodel era

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2702/25/2021

I miss him so much...

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2021

The follow-up album Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 2 was scrapped for reasons known only to Michael and his record company. Three of the songs intended for that album appear on the benefit album Red Hot + Dance, while a fourth ("Crazyman Dance") turned up on the B-side of that album's first single, "Too Funky".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202/20/2021

Wrong. Those gals were hired because they were supermodels. Did you learn your cultural criticism in a strip mall community college?

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2021

R3 your misery is palpable

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2021

The supermodel birth certificate Vogue cover George Michael saw and cast the five models in his video giving them all worldwide MTV recognition

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502/20/2021

He started to take himself a little too seriously at this point, which is understandable since the success of Faith was probably too much and he wanted to be recognized for his music instead of just his image. The music was incredible and those videos still stand the test of time so he was right after all - it's his music that people love.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2021

This album was a disappointment compared to Faith. Both him and Prince started to get boring when they became more focused on fighting their record labels than making fun music. It was the downfall of both of them.

Also I never understood why it was called Volume 1 - was there an intention of having a Volume 2 or something?

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2021

Heal the Pain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 802/20/2021

I admired the pivot he made with this album from sex symbol/pop superstar to a more introspective, thoughtful, serious artist.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2021

R7, please go read R2.

I mean, jesus.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2021

GM's masterpiece, and one of the most appropriately titled albums ever, although I read somewhere that it wasn't meant to be a reference to GM's superficial pop star image. It was more about the album's sound having such a black influence.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2021

Some good songs, but way too pretentious. GM was skilled at crafting great pop songs. It's sad that his hang ups about being seen as a fluffy sex symbol made him trip all over himself trying to be more serious.

That said, "Cowboys and Angels" is a gorgeous song. The waltz-like shuffle is inspired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2021

[quote] Also I never understood why it was called Volume 1 - was there an intention of having a Volume 2 or something?

R7, R2 already posted on this. Do you actually read threads when you join them, or do you just jump right in and start mouth-breathing?

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2021

It's notable how many straight guys on youtube mention the bathroom where George Michael was arrested and post videos about it.

by Anonymousreply 1402/23/2021

“Praying for Time” although a depressing song is also gorgeous and displays his voice beautifully. The content holds up even more today in our society that idolizes rich kids showing off their wealth on Insta

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2021

R13, R10 already pointed that out. Do you actually read threads when you join them, or do you just jump right in and start mouth-breathing?

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2021

This album was a dud. As a previous poster wrote, George became pretentious. Took six years to release another full album ("Older"). George had lost his momentum. He should've reunited with (poor forgotten) Andrew Ridgely for a Wham reunion.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2021

This was a great album and aged well. It's much more serious than his other work though. But I think he made the point to want to be taken seriously and not just a piece of meat.

I think George's biggest issue was not releasing a lot of material and those long breaks which caused rhe public to lose interest. Imagine if he had Prince or Bowie's work ethic and released an album every year. He was very versatile and I would have loved hearing George do more acid house, electronic, jazz and funk tracks. He deserved the career that Mariah Carey had.

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2021

Listen Without Prejudice was George's Glitter album!

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2021

A friend told me that I'd find 'Older' was just as good as LWP if I'd only give it a chance. I've tried, but it has never struck me the same way.

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2021

I love Fastlove, Star People, and Jesus to a Child from the Older album.

by Anonymousreply 2102/23/2021

R17, You realize he was fighting against Sony's onerous contracts and terms.

He was deliberately NOT releasing albums. Like Prince -- who went so far as to change his name to avoid issues with Sony's shitty treatment of their artists -- he was trying to fight the good fight, not JUST for himself, but for all other artists.

Are you really ignorant of all that was going on, and WHY he wasn't releasing albums?

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2021

No straight guy under thirty ever mentioned the names Christy Turlington and Linda Evangelista until the Faith video

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2021

George's beloved Anselmo died in 1993. That explains the gap between Listen Without Prejudice and Older.

Both are stunning albums. I generally skip They Won't Go When I Go, but my god Cowboys and Angels is 7 and a half minutes of heaven.

You can call it love but I don't think it's true / You should know by now I'm not the boy for you / You're not to blame / Always ends the same

by Anonymousreply 2402/25/2021

[quote] Took six years to release another full album.

Your point?

by Anonymousreply 2502/25/2021

When I first started collecting CDs, I was always curious why no store had Vol. 2. Then some sales bottom clued me in.

by Anonymousreply 2602/25/2021

I love this album. I resisted it at first, but I kept giving it another chance and fell in love.

Waiting For The Day is a BEAUTIFUL song. It makes me so sad to hear it and I try not to, but eventually, I do.

It reminds me of the worse break up ever.

FUCK!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2702/25/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!