Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Breakfast Ideas

I am trying to lose weight and, lately, have been seriously running out of breakfast ideas. I used to have a hard-boiled egg and croissant but cut that out due how caloric croissants are. I can't abide cereal of any kind, oatmeal or any other mush with water or milk. Do any of you have any ideas? Everything I Google is the type of stuff that either requires serious cooking or is milky.

by Anonymousreply 90February 23, 2021 9:59 PM

Auntie needs a sidecar with scrambled eggs au saumon on toast with some ground pepper. Some black coffee and a slow, slow read of the obituaries in the morning paper.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 10:19 PM

Why not replace that croissant with an apple or something?

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 10:20 PM

R2 - really any fruit in the morning makes my ulcerative colitis flare up. Also, yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 10:22 PM

Just make an omelette and skip everything else except more black coffee or tea. This will be a zero carb breakfast or almost.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 10:26 PM

I've been eating a cup of red grapefruit slices and a cup of plain Greek yogurt lately. Not a big cereal, oatmeal fan. Not big on eggs either so this fast snack suits me. I have herbal tea with that. No coffee.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 10:26 PM

Instead of a hard boiled egg OP, scramble it with some sort of vegetable--spinach, broccoli, kale

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 10:26 PM

My go to is a slice of whole wheat seeded toast with peanut butter and a little raspberry preserve, and a mug of tea. The bread I get is 70 calories, with the peanut butter and preserves it's a breakfast under 300 calories and it fills be up until lunch time.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 10:28 PM

I have two large cups of black covfefe and a peanut butter donut, sometimes also one to go.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2021 10:29 PM

Get some low calorie bread and have with your egg. Or make a turkey sandwich. Peanut butter on toast. French toast with sugar free syrup (or none, just a lot of cinnamon.)

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2021 10:31 PM

Yikes. That's almost 400 Calories for that one PB donut r8.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2021 10:33 PM

I like steel cut oats mixed with some peanut butter and a drizzle of agave syrup.

Maybe some toaster protein waffles, OP? I’ve had birchbenders, they’re decent.

by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2021 10:33 PM

In Paris we often have a black coffee and two cigarettes. It keeps us thin.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2021 10:35 PM

Why not just have half of the croissant, and add some strawberries? Or a whole wheat toasted English muffin with topping of your choice?

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2021 10:40 PM

[quote] I like steel cut oats mixed with some peanut butter and a drizzle of agave syrup.

Ban "drizzle" puhleeezzzzzz. So 80s.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2021 10:46 PM

Rye is lower on the glycemic index - maybe rye toast or Wasa lite-rye crisps. If you don't like rye flatbread, try sourdough - it's pretty low glycemically as well. So are strawberries - I like to keep frozen ones and microwave a bowl of them for a minute - yum. Peaches are also quite low. But I forgot you can't eat fruit.

Just add a slab of steak to your eggs? And maybe some beans, made without sugar, if you want carbs.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote] English muffin

Do you cut them open or fork them open?

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2021 10:46 PM

Skip breakfast. Fast until lunch. Then have a healthy dinner and stop eating around 8 or 9. You’ll lose wait.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2021 10:49 PM

^weight.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2021 10:49 PM

R11 Steel-cut oats, also called pinhead oats

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2021 10:51 PM

Eat a nice toilet full of shit

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote] Skip breakfast. Fast until lunch. Then have a healthy dinner and stop eating around 8 or 9. You’ll lose wait.

Unhealthy way of losing wait (sic), even if effective (doubtful). Breakfast like a king... you know the saying.

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2021 10:53 PM

I like to add this syrup to my steel cut oats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2021 10:54 PM

I make my own version of McDonald's Sausage McMuffin, varying the ingredients (sausage, egg, cheese, etc).

R16, Marie, try an angel cake knife for splitting English muffins (or bagels).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2021 10:55 PM

Eat a fresh piece of shit. The texture is amazing

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2021 10:56 PM

What R17 said. I did the 16-8 fast and lost 50 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2021 11:00 PM

Alternatively, have something to eat first thing, then light lunch around noon, then that's it for the day. Maybe an avocado around 4:00 pm.

by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2021 11:00 PM

Tall glass of cold beer (hair of the dog) with a raw egg in it (protein). Cigarette (then a shit in the pan).

by Anonymousreply 27February 20, 2021 11:01 PM

Intermittent fasting as a lifestyle is very sustainable and healthy. Do you really think our ancestors ate as much as we do now? Breakfast was intended by Kellog.

by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2021 11:01 PM

After a cancer diagnosis, anutritionist gave me a diet worksheet. It involved many small meals throughout the day to ensure a balanced diet. Breakfast was a hard boiled egg, one piece of bread/toast, a small orange (Clementines are perfect) and a yogurt of no more than 100 calories. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and kept it off. Breakfast is still pretty much that though I’ve moved on from the 3 Graham crackers and skim milk at 3:on.

by Anonymousreply 29February 20, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote] Breakfast was intended by Kellog.

Break Fast means to eat something after the overnight fasting, which should really start about 6pm or 7pm the day before when you are meant only to have a snack.

by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2021 11:04 PM

Oatmeal. I don't think breakfast is the problem with weight lost though. Oatmeal is great for an evening snack. It helps you get to sleep too.

by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2021 11:05 PM

[quote]Intermittent fasting as a lifestyle is very sustainable and healthy.

My doctor recently recommended intermittent fasting as a way to combat weight gain caused by medication, it’s only been a few days so time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2021 11:08 PM

So what happens when you stop intermittent fasting? Let me guess, you can’t stop. Or you gain the weight back.

by Anonymousreply 33February 20, 2021 11:19 PM

You need nurtrious foods. Can you do huevos racheros in the morning? Eggs, Beans and Salsa. Make the salsa yourself. Chop together tomatoes and clilanto (herbs very good for you). You can add in peppers and onions, if you wish. This is healthy. You get those healthy legumes.

For dinner, lentil soup. ( healthy legumes) For dessert/snack: OATMEAL.

Lunch is where you can eat more, i think.

by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2021 11:20 PM

OP is playing the "Yes, But...." game. He doesn't want solutions, he just wants attention. Don't play the game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2021 11:21 PM

Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, Dinner Like a Pauper

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2021 11:21 PM

The idea that you have to eat breakfast is nonsense. Have a couple cups of coffee or tea, and eat a reasonable lunch when you get hungry. If I eat breakfast, I’m starving by 11, if not, I usually start to feel hungry about 12:30.

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2021 11:23 PM

R33, The idea with intermittent is that you aren’t supposed to stop. It’s a lifestyle if you need it to maintain a healthy weight.

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2021 11:25 PM

Do like the French do and have breakfast for dinner. Making breakfast for dinner is easy. It is a real time saver for Dinner time meals. If you have kids, kids love breakfast for dinner. I love a poached egg over sauted veggatables. I like spinach and mushrooms, with light olive oil and fresh garlic. It's feels really healthy to me. Protein and veggies.

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2021 11:27 PM

I make a crustless quiche every Sunday and a have a piece each morning for breakfast. If It’s summer I’ll likely do cottage cheese instead.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2021 11:29 PM

Depends what you do in the AM

If you wake up early and go workout, breakfast will be very different than if you roll out of bed and get to work without much movement.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2021 11:30 PM

[quote] If I eat breakfast, I’m starving by 11, if not, I usually start to feel hungry about 12:30.

That is quite normal, your metabolism is boosted by breakfast. That is why you have Elevenses: a snack at 11am these days probably a handful of nuts and a nutrition drink; in my day a glass of chilled sherry and some tasty shortbread.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] Do like the French do and have breakfast for dinner.

Never heard such tripe.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2021 11:32 PM

[r40 ] I would love to have your quiche recipe?

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2021 11:33 PM

Quiche receipts are 19 to the dozen on the web FFS, don't encourage her.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2021 11:36 PM

Protein drink and get on with your day.

by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2021 11:37 PM

Drain my man, shower and off to work .

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2021 11:39 PM

Donuts d'peanut butter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2021 11:40 PM

Cheese toast (a slice of cheddar or whatever type of cheese you prefer on a slice of toasted bread, run under the broiler just enough to melt the cheese a bit. You can add sliced tomatoes and/or pepperoni before broiling as well.

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2021 11:43 PM

Boiled rice with chopped shallot and coriander and steamed egg with garlic.

by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2021 11:49 PM

Crustless quiche (keto friendly) 6 eggs 1 cup of whipping cream S&p, 1/2 t. onion powder 1 cup of shredded cheese 2 pieces of bacon, crumbled

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pie dish with nonstick spray. Sprinkle dish with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar. Beat eggs, mix with cream, add onion powder, s&p. Pour evenly into pie dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 51February 20, 2021 11:49 PM

I've been interested in alkaline vs acidic foods lately, OP. Check this out and plan your meals using this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 20, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] Boiled rice with chopped shallot and coriander and steamed egg with garlic.

Vegan R50 claims to have invented kedgeree.

by Anonymousreply 53February 20, 2021 11:54 PM

I like greek yogurt and drizzle honey over it, YUM. Also, I like buying fruit that is already cut up, quick and delicious. Sometimes I'll have a banana with peanut butter spooned onto each slice.

by Anonymousreply 54February 20, 2021 11:57 PM

You don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. What do you eat fior lunch and dinner? Have some of that.

by Anonymousreply 55February 20, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote] drizzle honey

You can't drizzle honey.

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2021 12:02 AM

Porriidge. Oatmeal , or something else you like. Do oatmeal for snacks and desert.

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2021 12:19 AM

Pork, beef, chicken/turkey, beans, vitamins, eggs, tomatoes, coffee, filter-less cigarette, French Champagne (half-bottle, chilled): then back to bed to rest.

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2021 12:25 AM

Jimmy Dean sounds about right for OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2021 12:46 AM

Spinach and artichoke heart omelette or scramble. Any sort of veggie-egg dish, including a fritata.

Greek yogurt with a touch of maple syrup to sweeten it slightly, with chopped nuts. If you want yogurt buy plain yogurt and sweeten it yourself with something other than refined sugar, and don't sweeten it much. Just add a teaspoon of something to cut the sourness.

Middle Eastern breakfast with pita bread, cheese or hummus, olives, and nibbly veg like cucumber or pepper slices.

Bigass fruit smoothie, that includes active culture unsweetened yogurt for the protein and probiotics.

Poached egg on buttered English muffin. Little slice of ham or a touch of hollondaise sauce optional.

And of course when I want a big-ass breakfast, I make a modified "Full English" fry-up. Fried egg, fried mushrooms and tomatoes, slice of toast, possibly some beans (I like beans), and meat-eaters will want to add a bit of bacon, ham, or sausage. If this has more veggies than eggs and bacon, and you don't use too much fat in the frying up, it's actually not that calorific, but it sure is hearty.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2021 1:35 AM

And yes, putting salsa on eggs is a great way to liven up an everyday egg! And salsa is made of vegetables, and is very low-cal!

I like to scramble eggs, and sprinkle with a little cheese and slather with pico de gallo. Mmmm.

by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2021 1:39 AM

Kedgeree, you dolt.

--Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India," but just this once you may call me

by Anonymousreply 62February 21, 2021 1:42 AM

Granola (the non-grain kind) and peanut butter with a squirt of honey.

by Anonymousreply 63February 21, 2021 1:43 AM

[quote] Granola (the non-grain kind)

The grain is havoc for the teefs

by Anonymousreply 64February 21, 2021 1:44 AM

R36 you forgot pig out like a fatty after Jeopardy!

by Anonymousreply 65February 21, 2021 1:57 AM

Tomorrow my breakfast will be: Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, orange, mango , bananas, apple, honeydew , pineapple.

by Anonymousreply 66February 21, 2021 2:29 AM

Have a salad.

by Anonymousreply 67February 21, 2021 2:33 AM

Poached egg on whole grain toast. Avocado ...on toast... salmon or ham on toast. Or an English muffin. Or if you want to not eat grain, get a Granny Smith apple and slather it with peanut butter. Or... Fix a nice plate of ham and cheese with crackers and some fresh fruit. Granola will make you fat. And most people always eat more ceral than the recommended portion.

by Anonymousreply 68February 21, 2021 2:35 AM

I make different egg dishes: omelettes, migas, fried eggs. Instead of bread, I have fruit. I like huevos rancheros on the weekend. In summer, I eat sliced tomatoes with hard boiled eggs and a slice of cheese.

by Anonymousreply 69February 21, 2021 3:02 AM

I don't care for sweet breakfasts. Late I have been having what I call Eggs Terrazo.

In a mini casserole I put 1/2 cup of salsa, and spread it around.

I had two beaten eggs.

I cut a few thin slices of extra sharp cheddar off a block, place them on top of the egg and salsa mixture, and tuck them under the surface of the egg/salsa mixture.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 in my countertop oven.

When it is done the eggs will be set, but not overly firm, and it will look like yellow and red terrazzo.

Tasty, full of protein and vibrant flavor, lots of vegetables, and pretty low in calories. You can add a little cooked turkey sausage or turkey bacon if you want.

by Anonymousreply 70February 21, 2021 3:10 AM

Add two beaten eggs - not had

Also stir lightly after adding the eggs to the salsa

by Anonymousreply 71February 21, 2021 3:12 AM

Cheese grits. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 72February 21, 2021 3:14 AM

People don’t realize how much iron grits have. They are very healthy. My family makes cheesy grits with stewed tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 73February 21, 2021 3:29 AM

Hot soup,

by Anonymousreply 74February 21, 2021 4:30 AM

Never buy fruit already cut up, it's bacteria city. Unless you can cook it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 21, 2021 4:48 AM

During summer, when it's too hot to cook, I make a lot of sandwiches for breakfast, open-faced or with two slices. Peanut butter and jam, avocado and cheese, cheese and chutney, hummus and tomato (or cucumber or radish), whatever. Back when I ate meat it was ham and cheese or chicken and chutney, with iced tea that I'd put in the fridge the night before.

People in South America eat sandwiches for breakfast, when I was in Chile hotels would put out breakfast buffets of bread and sliced meats and cheeses, all the sandwich fixings. Plus cake, of all things.

by Anonymousreply 76February 21, 2021 5:06 AM

Dry cottage cheese is low fat and sugar. It's good with berries or chopped celery.

by Anonymousreply 77February 21, 2021 5:32 AM

I broil half a grapefruit - I put a little sweet n low on it to make it sweeter. Coffee and toasted protein bread. If you find a bread that takes really good then you won't need a topping.

I also used to put some peanut butter on a slice of toast. With some fruit like an orange - orange & peanut butter is a great combo. Plus coffee.

During the pandemic I have afded a cupcake with chocolate icing with my breakfast. I deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 78February 21, 2021 6:58 AM

R35 = DL's Gay Jung.

For the rest, thanks for the ideas. Intermittent fasting sounds great BUT (R35 = busy taking notes) I have to eat for my meds so i can maybe do a 8/15 and see how it goes. Also, I found some excellent crustless quiche recipes and have most of the ingredients. The rest are awesome ideas I wrote down. For today, did 1/2 croissant and a hardboiled egg with some mozzarella cheese next to it.

by Anonymousreply 79February 21, 2021 7:19 AM

Even when I'm dieting, I do about 1/3 of calories at breakfast. Otherwise, I'd be dragging all morning. I often make chilquiles or sausage gravy and biscuits on weekends, and that works fine with portion control. Oatmeal and a small omelette, a breakfast egg sandwich, they're on the menu, too.

by Anonymousreply 80February 21, 2021 1:52 PM

R75- I NEVER buy cut fruit. The night before I spend 10 to 15 minutes chopping, slicing etc my fruit for breakfast the next day.

by Anonymousreply 81February 21, 2021 2:12 PM

OP, the first step to losing weight is to stop thinking about food constantly. That you even made this thread indicates you will fail at any attempts to lose weight until you get your mind under control. You are fixated on food.

by Anonymousreply 82February 21, 2021 2:15 PM

I always had a problem with breakfast because i was hungry a couple of hours later. I finally got a handle on the cravings. Now I eat scrambled eggs every morning with either bacon, a small steak, or a small piece of salmon. I avoid eating bread, dairy, fruit and coffee for breakfast. I drink water for breakfast and will have tea later in the morning. I have zero cravings.

It’s the carbs and the sugars that are problematic.

by Anonymousreply 83February 21, 2021 2:27 PM

Ulcerative colitis? What did you do to yourself over the years to end up with that?

by Anonymousreply 84February 21, 2021 2:31 PM

Skip breakfast.

The least important meal of the day.

by Anonymousreply 85February 21, 2021 2:33 PM

R84 - I got proteus when I was a newborn in the maternity ward. Couldn't have even my mom's milk as a baby so I had to live on formula. My folks pretty much did all they could but by 17, it was so bad I had to stay home a year from school. Luckily, when I was 18 I found a really good doctor that helped me with diet and natural medicine (nothing had worked until then) and I got it under control but to this day I have to be careful.

by Anonymousreply 86February 21, 2021 5:14 PM

Today's breakfast was what I call a "Omelette Margarita", an omelette stuffed with halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozerella, grated paremesean, and chopped basil leaves.

Tasty, luxurious, and as low-carb as anyone could want!

by Anonymousreply 87February 23, 2021 8:27 PM

I’m losing weight too. I use a non stick skillet and use a spray. An egg, some eggs beaters too, so w water packed canned tuba, diced tomato, mushrooms. A little greater cheese. I put it in a LOW heat with a lid, by the time I’m through with shower and shave it’s cooked, fluffy, not watery and with a tuna it’s a shot of lean protein that keeps me buzzing all day, even after lunch and into dinner, I do better having this breakfast

by Anonymousreply 88February 23, 2021 9:30 PM

Avocado toast and green tea

by Anonymousreply 89February 23, 2021 9:33 PM

If you follow the instructions as stated, these come out quite good. Wrap in paper towel, microwave at 30% power for 90 seconds, then 100% power for 50 seconds. A cup of black coffee, no sugar, and I'm good to go.

I could skip or cut back on lunch or dinner most days, but I'm a big time breakfast person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 23, 2021 9:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!