Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Delays in receiving the second shot of the Covid vaccine.

Are any of you experiencing a delay or haven't been able to schedule an appointment to receive the second shot of the Covid vaccine? Perhaps, if you choose, indicate if your first dose was Pfizer or Moderna and the state or general locale where you received it..

There are high priority people that have received a second dose. Some states are doing a good job with distributions and administering the shots. Others, appropriately, are blaming shortages and/or the weather. Some states appear disorganized and inefficient with the process.

Right after receiving the first vaccine, my provider conveyed that someone will call and schedule an appointment for me. I contacted them a few days ago and it is the same message. I received the first shot just short of a month ago. They administered the Moderna.

I read website updates and listen to the media information.

I am not impatient, but the uncertainty as to scheduling is unsettling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2021 4:14 AM

I drove 150+ miles away to find an opening for the first shot. I go back for the second when notified.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 4:19 PM

I’m in NYC and when I arrived back home after receiving my first Pfizer vaccine, there was an email from the place directing me to schedule an appointment for my second shot. I’m scheduled to receive it on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 4:33 PM

Acquisition requests and dissemination practices are largely left to each state. Consistency across the board isn't happening.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 4:35 PM

R2 That's good.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 4:36 PM

They're doing them up to 12 weeks apart here in the UK so that they can get the first jab into as many people as they can, now, before offering up the second jab.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 4:39 PM

I dont mind waiting longer for the second jab if the effectiveness of the first jab doesn't diminish/expire. As long as I'm told....

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 4:44 PM

Booked my parents through a specific hospital system in CT because they book the second appt for you while you receive the first dose. Peace of mind for sure. The other vaccine sources in the state are not doing that so it’s a mad scramble for most.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 5:22 PM

OP in which state do you live?

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2021 5:51 PM

My parents got their first shots this week, they where scheduled for their second round before they left the building.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2021 6:03 PM

R8, TN

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2021 6:36 PM

Just one dose of Moderna/Pfizer gives a pretty high level of protection. Honestly we probably should have followed the UK's strategy of getting as many people the first dose as possible.

by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2021 6:40 PM

In NY had an issue scheduling my second Moderna shot. Had to make my appointment in 5 weeks instead of the normal 4 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2021 7:02 PM

I’m in NYC. My partner and mom each signed up for the second dose the day they got the first one, and they both got the second one last week. But now it’s next to impossible to sign up for a first dose anywhere (I have an autoimmune disease that was later deemed adequate to get the vaccine). I have an appointment for March 9 but am a bit skeptical that it will happen.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2021 7:52 PM

I received my second Pfizer shot today at noon. I scheduled this appointment three weeks ago when I received my first shot and aside from some lousy weather in NYC, today went off without a hitch.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 9:07 PM

I'll get the vaccine, but I'll wait until later this year. Hopefully, things will be more organized and it's easier to get it. I would be nice if CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid could administer it...like the flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 9:25 PM

Are you kidding? I can't even get a first shot! (And I'm over 65, with both diabetis and HBP.). I'm not fat though...if anything, I could use some extra pounds.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 9:29 PM

So, since antibodies from the Pfizer vaccine only last up to 3 months and they can’t even stock enough supplies to get people their second required dosage to confer that much protection, how is this going to work? Realistically, everyone needs to be revaccinated every 4 months, minimum.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]It would be nice if CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid could administer it.

I got my first shot at a Rite Aid in Pittsburgh. I'm an ancientgay.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 9:38 PM

Not yet here in New Jersey...not in my area anyway R18. You're lucky.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 9:46 PM

That's the problem. There's no coordination throughout the country...even in the states. Some areas are easier to get it...others are difficult. I had to register for the vaccine, which I did. Now I have to wait to be notified.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 9:49 PM

If you’re in NYC and Brooklyn in particular, check Walgreens online. Many stores are listing appointments available.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 9:49 PM

I checked Walgreens in my area, central NJ. I got the message: not available...check later. I'll wait until later this year.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 9:51 PM

Thank you anyway, R21.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]So, since antibodies from the Pfizer vaccine only last up to 3 months and they can’t even stock enough supplies to get people their second required dosage to confer that much protection, how is this going to work? Realistically, everyone needs to be revaccinated every 4 months, minimum.

None of this is true.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 9:54 PM

If you are in Brooklyn, NY a new vaccination center is opening on 2/24 at Medgar Evers College. A friend was able to get an appointment late last week for this coming Thursday. You need to live in one of the zip codes listed below.

I’ll post the zip codes for a new site opening at York College.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 9:59 PM

York College zip codes in the article below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] None of this is true.

Actually, it is.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 10:13 PM

If I need to get re-vaccinated in four months, I will. Perhaps it will be one shot by then. I’ll wait for the scientists to provide the answers.

I do know that I feel more at ease now, having received both shots.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 10:19 PM

I had my first puncture on 2/10 and they scheduled me that day for the second on 3/9. I certainly hope nothing screws that up.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 11:31 PM

R24, all of it is true. Do some reading. You’re woefully uneducated about something that can kill you.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 11:46 PM

My 80 year old Mother with diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease and on dialysis has not had a shot yet. The dialysis center told the patients they would be high up the list. Still waiting. She had a virtual appt with her Primary Thursday and she was shocked my mother had not gotten a vaccine yet. She put her on her priority list. One thing is my mother's PCP is part of large hospital system, so that should help.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 12:07 AM

Can’t get an appointment for my bf’s 94 year old mother in NY. Weather is lousy but hope she can be fully vaccinated by the spring.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 12:34 AM

I am in NC. Our local convention center has been set up for mass vaccinations. I got my first Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago and had an appointment for the booster before I left. I was able to call the hotline and have the schedule moved forward a few days since I am due to be deployed.

It's a very well organized program.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 12:50 AM

R17, R30, etc stop spreading misinformation about the vaccine. It’s true that since the vaccines are new, there is some question about how long they last (only because we’re doing this real time), but no study or reputable outlet is saying only three months. That’s totally and unequivocally untrue. There is some thought we might have to be vaccinated yearly like the flu, but there’s also evidence that the vaccine effects could last 2-3 years.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 1:05 AM

Is there any reason that they aren't using Churches and closed Airport Terminal Buildings as vaccination centers in the US?

Are the military helping with the roll out as they are in other Countries?

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 1:15 AM

California here.

I just scheduled my jabs today. The first one is Wednesday, the second is three weeks from Wednesday. You schedule both appointments at the same time. They emailed and texted me the QR codes within seconds of submitting my request.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 1:20 AM

R34 It's possible that the virus will weaken and become less deadly with successive mutations, flip of a coin really though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 1:24 AM

The main impediment to vaccine distribution has been the limited supply r35. Nothing can help that.

We are trying to manufactor more, but right now demand is exponentially higher than supply.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 1:27 AM

R38 That's not a problem that we're having in the UK, they are leaking plans to start child vaccinations here. We're governed by the reaction in The Sun and Daily Mail comment sections currently.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 1:38 AM

From Goodrx:

How long does vaccine-induced immunity last? When you receive a vaccine, your immune system follows the same process to develop immunity as it does when you are sick. The same three cells discussed above — macrophages, B cells, and T cells — play the same roles. But the biggest benefit of vaccines is that your body learns how to protect you from a virus or bacteria without you getting sick.

As mentioned earlier, some vaccine-induced immunity lasts for a long time and some does not. Everyone hopes the COVID-19 vaccines will provide long-lasting immunity. However, researchers don’t know if this will be the case. Some believe the vaccines currently available will provide protection for quite some time. Others think the immunity will wear off relatively quickly and require a shot every year.

Only time will tell for sure. Remember, although this type of vaccine has been in development for many years, both Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna started their phase 3 vaccine trials for COVID-19 in July 2020. So, as of right now, they’ve only been following participants for about 6 months. Both companies intend to follow the participants for 2 years in order to determine if the vaccines’ protection wears off at all.

Regardless, it is much safer to get the vaccine than to get sick with COVID-19, even if the protection isn’t lifelong.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 2:21 AM

I'm in Texas. I registered with my county health department on Dec 29. I was called on Jan 5 and received my first Moderna dose on Jan 6. I was told at that time that my second dose would be 28 days later on Feb 3. I was called on Feb 2 to confirm my appointment for the second dose on Feb 3. My county has been pretty organized and efficient in their distribution.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2021 2:39 AM

[quote][R17], [R30], etc stop spreading misinformation about the vaccine. It’s true that since the vaccines are new, there is some question about how long they last (only because we’re doing this real time), but no study or reputable outlet is saying only three months. That’s totally and unequivocally untrue. There is some thought we might have to be vaccinated yearly like the flu, but there’s also evidence that the vaccine effects could last 2-3 years.

Thanks. r34. r30 keeps spouting off words as facts, but doesn't post links to support them. r30 saying "Do some reading" sounds a bit like QAnon saying "Do your research".

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2021 2:48 AM

My second shot happened right on schedule. The county emailed me the week before with the dates and times available.

When I made an appointment for my elderly mom’s vaccinations through her doctor, it included booking dates at her county’s site for both the first and the second shot in one phone call.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2021 2:54 AM

I live 6 miles from the hospital which serves the entire NW of PA with multiple hospitals. They always have commercials which show them being innovative and ahead of the rest. One friend traveled 50 miles last week to get a shot at a different hospital and another friend got it in the pharmacy section of a local supermarket last week. Since I had the virus I am waiting to get it until most have gotten theirs. I don't know anyone that has gotten it at the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2021 2:58 AM

My parents are in Florida and they have had both of their shots at this point. There were no issues

by Anonymousreply 45February 23, 2021 3:27 AM

They had a panel on NPR of doctors today and they were saying that if you find yourself in a position to get the vaccine, however it comes, just take it. Even if there are people that might need it more, the more people vaccinated the better. This is in LA, but regardless for where you live.

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2021 4:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!