Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Times ties itself in "WOKE" knots: Goodwin

"Such is life in Wokestan, where notions of misconduct are malleable and arbitrary. Social-justice activists stalk a newsroom that is racialized and radicalized, hunting for reasons to be offended. When they are, the ax falls.

A female reporter at the paper got her scoops by sleeping with a government source, who went to prison for leaking classified information while she kept her job. The star female reporter who fell for the false claims of a wannabe jihadist on the “Caliphate” podcast got demoted, but Mills, her white male producer, is suddenly sent packing because Twitter users dug up his randy behavior at NPR. At the Times, he had been promoted and was not blamed for the “Caliphate” debacle. But as Mills put it in his resignation letter, “another story emerged online: that my lack of punishment came down to entitlement and male privilege.” The twin firings illustrate how mercurial Baquet has become and suggest his main focus is obeying the loudest voices in the newsroom. When reporters and editors gang up to complain about colleagues, including former op-ed page editor James Bennett, Baquet, along with publisher A.G. Sulzberger, promptly delivers pink slips. Careers and years of service are tossed aside like trash. Opinion writer Bari Weiss, in her fiery resignation from the Times last year, decried the mob mentality running the paper, declaring that “Twitter has become its ultimate editor.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2021 7:53 AM

Found this on another article.

"The famous The New York Times has just proposed to the Biden administration to set up an "agency" or "centralized working group" to fight, in collaboration with major social networks, against "misinformation" and "extremism", that is, against anything that is not in line with official propaganda. With a reality czar at its head, it would be a matter of controlling information and "subversive" ideas, deciding what is correct and what is not. It remains to find this apparatchik capable of imposing progressive realism. There must be somewhere among the great consciences of the just cause, an apparatchik capable of being as effective as the sinister Jdanov."

Question: Why do the Democrats allow to be infiltrated by these extreme ideologues from the far-left wings?

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 1:26 PM

The GOP really thinks if they just chant "WOKE! ANTIFA! CANCEL CULTURE!" enough times their insurrection problems will disappear.

It's kind of adorable.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 1:29 PM

Denying that the far left Wokes with its fascist ideology is doing a mad evil to America is suicidal. These are from Marxist and Communist methods.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 1:34 PM

Fuck the NYPost and R3.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 1:35 PM

Fuck the NYPost and R3.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 1:35 PM

and R4 R5 Fuck you first you fascist bigot

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 1:36 PM

"Thunk, thunk. The career guillotine at The New York Times was busy Friday, dispatching two men found wanting by the Purity Police." I couldn't have said it better "Police purity" Just like Staline.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 1:41 PM

Cancel/woke culture is the Democrats' cancer.

Racism is the Republicans' cancer.

They're both real. They each come from an extreme. They are eating each party from inside.

If only the US has a real party at the center... I'd vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2021 1:41 PM

R8 I absolutely agree with that. Both sides tend to go to their extreme wings. We need a balance. It's vital.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2021 1:44 PM

No one likes a ginger.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2021 2:07 PM

'Why has The Times’ management let the inmates run the asylum? I’m afraid the problem starts at the top, with Chairman Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr. A 1992 story in New York magazine reports that Sulzberger responded to a complaint from a dignified older man about un-Timesian coverage by saying that if they were making older white men unhappy, they were “doing something right.” Former Timesman Peter Boyer described newsroom atmosphere in that era as ”moderate white men should die.” (Say, maybe there is something for the DOJ to investigate here.)

But it’s got to be hard for someone who has spent his entire (wealthy, powerful) career trying to “stick it to the man” to suddenly provide adult supervision. And with regard to his son the current publisher, A.G. Sulzberger, to whom Weiss' resignation is addressed, the apple does not appear to have fallen very far from the tree. Which is too bad, because adult supervision is what The Times needs most. For many years, though The Times always leaned left, it did in fact function as an arena for public debate. Now its junior staffers, fresh from the hothouse environment of academia, want to make The Times a megaphone for a single set of views. That will diminish the importance of the newspaper but, I predict, not the self-importance of its staffers."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2021 2:18 PM

OP made the majority of the posts in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2021 2:28 PM

R12 Erm... So i can't add the informations i have found about my post? Are you a member of the Police purity? What are you? 5 yo?

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2021 2:33 PM

DL slobbering all over Michael Goodwin? Well, imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2021 2:34 PM

R14 Is there a problem with Goodwin? I do not know this journalist. Also, he is far from the only one to criticize the editorial line of the NYT and the new ideology that reigns there.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2021 2:38 PM

I think Goodwin is a jerk, but he is on point with the NYT's obsession with race and wokeness. Just read a recent article which implied medical schools not granting residency to Black and Hispanic graduates of Caribbean medical schools might be racism. How about those schools don't have the standards American and other foreign medical schools have. The article does not look into that.

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2021 2:45 PM

As ludicrous and stupid and toxic as wokeism is, it's slowly falling out of fashion now. I can feel it in a nonspecific way. It's just another passing mania after all.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2021 2:49 PM

I don't think it's falling out of fashion. Companies are revising their hiring and internal policies to be more woke. This will have long term repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2021 2:53 PM

Among the measures reminiscent of the Soviet purges are those taken by several American universities. Harvard rejects Asian students and favors African-Americans. In San Francisco, no less than 44 schools have changed their names. At the end of January, the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) decided this sham to obey "Woke" criteria. Fired from the frontispieces, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Daniel Webster, Paul Revere... Their wrong? They did not fight slavery (the censors obviously forgot that Lincoln led the war that ended slavery) and their political commitment would not have been sufficiently "progressive".

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2021 2:54 PM

I suspect you are right r17, unlike the neo-nazi right which currently has a stranglehold on the Republican Party and might never let go.

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2021 2:55 PM

I disagree. Woke is to the left what "neo-nazi" is to the right. None of them is new, and they aren't going away.

Neither of them.

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2021 2:58 PM

R21 Exactly!!!!

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2021 2:59 PM

Bari Weiss isn't liked because she's FUCKING TERRIBLE, not because of Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2021 3:01 PM

R23 Yeah sure, in your Wokestan world everyone is terrible which has nothing to do with democracy and journalism.

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2021 3:03 PM

I know more about journalism than you will ever know or understand.

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2021 3:17 PM

R25 It's funny that you chose "journalism" part and not democracy. Normal, is undeniably a word that the cancel culture has deleted. As for your imaginary journalistic skills, it touches me one without moving the other.

by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2021 3:23 PM

Poorly written blurb from the post.

by Anonymousreply 27February 20, 2021 3:29 PM

[quote]The twin firings illustrate how mercurial Baquet has become and suggest his main focus is obeying the loudest voices in the newsroom.

That's not "wokeness." That's a racist complaining he doesn't have the loudest voice anymore.

The NYT caters to the rich and powerful. They carry water for the GOP all the time. The opinion section is a haven for the stupidest conservative voices in the country. It's not crippled by wokeness, it's just shit.

by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2021 3:33 PM

I've noticed that anything that doesn't follow "progressive" propaganda is Conservative/Right wing/Nazis/Boris according to Wokeists dressed as Democrats on this site. A very binary thought. It's white or black and they forget the shades of gray. The methods of new Wokes employees are questionable. In labour rights the harassment they practice on their colleagues is reprehensible. They do that in universities, in journalism, in the highest office. When America becomes totally Communist and builds gulags, there will still be Wokeist who will come to plead for their cult.

by Anonymousreply 29February 20, 2021 3:44 PM

R29, your pithy word salad completely ignores that the NYT has a rule that journalists are not allowed to publicly disagree with or otherwise criticize opinion columnists. The reverse is not true. Which protects the largely conservative leaning garbage spewing op-ed page from the actually talented investigative journalists who do real work. So every time Bretbug posts some nonsense that is utterly fucking embarrassing to the paper and its employees, the news division has to keep its mouth shut. The only place they can challenge it is behind the scenes, and shitbags like Bari Weiss make free use of the lopsided rule to publicly LIE about her colleagues. THAT'S harassment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2021 3:54 PM

The "harassment" that Weiss and the idiot at R29 are complaining about is her colleagues noting that Weiss' consistent factual "errors," casual racism, and petulant "I'm not wrong, you're just a meanie" responses were never dealt with.

[quote]Person G: i wasn’t here when we had a public editor, but i understand how it worked. it was clear. what i don’t understand now and now what’s unclear is what’s supposed to happen when the same mistakes keep getting made again and again. at what point is the company willing to take the responsibility off the public for calling this stuff out? will the reader center step in? is that even what the reader center is for? i genuinely don’t know! (“mistakes” in hindsight is a very generous term for what I’m talking about here)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2021 4:01 PM

Aaaaaand they do it again. This is not a paper paralyzed by wokeness. This is a paper paralyzed by its commitment to white mediocrity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2021 4:31 PM

R30 R31 (same person) Funny that you're serving me your Vomit Wokeist by blaming me for having pithy word salad and trying to excuse with newspaper links that have also succumbed to your totalitarian sect. Bari Weiss would be responsible for her situtaion. Except that she is not only she who has complained about the Wokeist behaviors in that shitty newspaper. The racism she is accused of has no basis if not adopted the Wokeist ideology for which EVERYTHING is racist. You're fascists and everyone's seeing it.

What about Macron, whom the New York Times Wokeists accused of Islamophobia because they preferred to listen Islamists version on Twitter rather than check and do a real investigative work and all this in the midst of terrorist attacks on French soil? What about the fact that after understanding that they had made a mistake they had to delete their article against a foreign president and a foreign country of which they know absolutely nothing? Did they apologize? Never. But the French decided to boycott the NYT.

What about the fact that other editorialists are forced to resign for writing and publishing articles that do not correspond to Wokeist-style doctrines? Like James Bennet, head of the Opinion section of the New York Times, because he published an op-ed by a Republican and conservative senator. A famous columnist for the Philadephia Inquirer. Stan Wischnowski, was also forced to resign because he chose a title deemed "offensive" to Black Lives Matter activists who vandalize buildings: "Buildings Matter, too" ("Buildings also matter... »). They're all racists??? Or conservatives or right wing or Boris or Nazis? Journalism is about reporting facts, not activism in the newsroom.

Below Weiss's letter of resignation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 20, 2021 4:39 PM

^Situation ^^ she's not the only one

by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2021 4:42 PM

Goodwin used to write for the Daily News, where he had a liberal slant.

He’s just a soulless paid assassin.

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2021 4:45 PM

So bored by constant rightwing ranting about wokeism. Reminds me of the 2 minute hate in 1984 when Goldstein turns into a blearing sheep. That’s what these rightwing confederates are like — sheep bleating over & over & over again, “Woke! It’s woke blacks! Woke women! Woke homosexuals! Woke trans! Woke anybody not like me!”

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2021 4:47 PM

Wokeism > fascism

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2021 4:49 PM

Lol the argument of the Wokes makes me laugh. Pace they don't have any. Either they try to demonize the OP, accusing me of being right-wing, or it's Goodwin who is not good enough. But they are, of course, as everyone will have understood, the angels of humanity.

R36 Except you had to read 1984 diagonally because it's exactly Wokeist and their cancel culture that this book speaks. But when you're intellectually limited, it's clear that Orwell is a bit complicated.

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2021 4:50 PM

Wokeism = Fascism

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2021 4:52 PM

R3 is right. This is very destructive.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2021 4:54 PM

R40 The good thing is that you're proving me right. Everyone is racist/right wing except you of course, angel of humanity

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2021 4:56 PM

How do you recognize the Wokes disguised as Democrats on the DL?

Here's what a real Democrat would say about Wokeism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2021 5:04 PM

If only the US has a real party at the center... I'd vote for them.

R8 But what we get IS a kind of center.

Trump was not so much a extreme right-winger as he was a deranged sociopath edging on dictator. But the current gov't is pretty much in the middle: Capitalistic with a social welfare agenda.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2021 5:08 PM

E33 just keeps tripling down with the lies. No wonder Bari is your hero.

Bennet was fired for allowing a Senator to call for violence against protestors in an op-ed filled with lies, and Bennet excused himself by claiming he didn't actually read it before publicizing it. So, basically he was fired for failing to do his job.

Stan Wischnowski resigned not just because of a headline, but because of longstanding problems at the paper he was simply incapable of handling. His staff was publicly turning on him. Of course, he jumped right over to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette because white men fail up.

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2021 5:16 PM

^Oops, should be R33.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2021 5:17 PM

R3, I'd say far right fascists like you are destroying America

You wanted to cancel the election because your guy didn't win

You want to cancel Liz Cheney and the other Republicans who stood up to Trump

by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2021 5:19 PM

R39 doesn't know what fascism is, bless his heart. Trump and the Republicans are the real fascists

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2021 5:21 PM

R44 Not a single word of what you say is true. But it's also one of your practices = TO LIE. What you always forget in your affabulations it's credibility. They were not fired, they were forced to resign under pressure from the Wokeist like you. Pure fascists who consider that if a journalist does his job without doing in activism, he is racist. You're a cult. Weiss is not my hero.

by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2021 5:22 PM

"NoT A sINGle WoRd U SaID iS TruE" says the guy posting nothing but lies.

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2021 5:29 PM

R49 Lol I'm drinking your Wokeist tears. Keep trying so hard, people know who you are.

by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2021 5:30 PM

^ That's all you got left? "Liberal tears?" OK. Meanwhile you're hero is getting roasted all over again for her fact-free racist bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 20, 2021 5:35 PM

^ OMG, *your*

by Anonymousreply 52February 20, 2021 5:35 PM

R44 R45 R49 R51 (The same crazy Wokeist)

"James Bennet's Resignation Proves the Woke Scolds Are Taking Over The New York Times"

A cadre of staffers reacted with apoplectic rage that the paper would dare solicit Cotton's opinion on such a sensitive topic. "As a black woman, as a journalist, as an American, I am deeply ashamed that we ran this," said Nikole Hannah-Jones, a Times reporter who has also been credibly accused of making factual errors, though don't expect any walkouts at the Times over it.

Vox's explanation of the Cotton clash, which quotes several anti-Bennet staffers anonymously—their names redacted "for fear of retaliation," an amusingly mixed-up concern—paints the issue as one of Times reporters growing increasingly frustrated. They were frustrated with Bennet, and with opinion page writers Bret Stephens and Bari Weiss, whose columns are generally conservative, contrarian, or otherwise at odds with the paper's left-leaning staff. (For what it's worth, I've criticized Stephens but find Weiss genuinely insightful and interesting.) Some of their frustrations are understandable, if not entirely defensible: News reporters are generally discouraged—or even prohibited outright—from expressing their opinions on social media, which might put some in the position of feeling like they can't publicly dissent from opinion pieces published under their own banner. Vox claims that some Times reporters are losing stories because sources won't talk to them after the Cotton op-ed, though it's hard to put blind trust in anonymous claims.

In any case, Times staffers merely denouncing the op-ed would have been one thing. The op-ed deserves denunciation, so it would be hard to argue that they were wrong to do so, considerations about keeping news and opinion separate notwithstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 20, 2021 5:39 PM

R51 Oh I am now a Liberal, not a right wing anymore?

by Anonymousreply 54February 20, 2021 5:41 PM

No one called you liberal. And posting bullshit from Reason does not help your case. The Cotton op-ed was a final straw in a long string of serious problems with the op-ed section, which liberals and conservative alike have raised serious concerns about (see Bennet's mishandling of an excerpt from a book about Kavanaugh). But conservatives are just trying to ret-con it as some kind of censorship of white people when it's really about poor quality and lack of any meaningful journalistic standards.

by Anonymousreply 55February 20, 2021 6:01 PM

I think the overwrought rhetoric from the right on this thread ("Wokeism is fascism!" -- no, it is not) is as much of a red herring as the whataboutism from the left here ("But what about Trump? He's the real menace! If you don;t like wokeness you have to be pro-Trump, then!" --well, Trump is the real mance, but that doesn't justify what the Times has been doing).

It is possible to be firmly and even vehemently anti-Trump and still think the Times has lost its objectivity and is catering to a certain point of view that is now making its internal politics unfair. Real life does not easily fall into simpkly black and white, the good guys vs. the fascists.

I told my friends during the election I had become so sick of the Times's wokeness that if Trump was defeated (as I hoped) I would cancel my subscription--I haven't in the end because the news it provides is like that from nowhere else. But I am still heartily sick of not just Roxane Gay's columns and Lindy West's (I no longer read them), but the repetitiveness of the same woke angle of most of the arts commentary.

by Anonymousreply 56February 20, 2021 6:31 PM

This is boring Deplorable propaganda. didn’t Bill Hemmer of Faux News complain that cancel culture is canceling the Bible the other day?

by Anonymousreply 57February 20, 2021 6:33 PM

As if conservatives ever had a problem with "an 'agency' or 'centralized working group' to fight, in collaboration with major social networks, against 'misinformation' and 'extremism', that is, against anything that is not in line with official propaganda. With a reality czar at its head."

The staggering hypocrisy of the right wing is still on full display.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 20, 2021 6:42 PM

So now if you don't believe in white privilege you're fired? so much for free thought.

by Anonymousreply 59February 20, 2021 7:24 PM

I have the impression that the cult Wokeist is so uncomfortable with the news such as in the NYT that all they have as a rhetoric, rather low is 'Right wing'. There is no deep analysis of what they are saying, nothing constructed, nor is there any evidence that there are right wings on this thread. All that is not them are the right wing? So Obama is also right-wing, since he denounced them for what they are: A Marxist sect.

You'all can get out of breath with your thoughts of retarded teenagers, everyone sees you for who you are. And since people open their eyes, you call them racist, right wing. As only children would. If this can help this totalitarian sect to sleep at night, okay then.

by Anonymousreply 60February 20, 2021 7:32 PM

They look like robots. all their answers from the beginning of the thread: "right wing" alternately with "conservative" and then "racist". That's all they have in their mouths. As if they couldn't use their brains and think like human beings. And above all unable to look in the mirror with honesty. In fact, they do exactly what Weiss describes. They harass, and call everyone racist as soon as someone highlights the dangerousness of their behaviors.

by Anonymousreply 61February 20, 2021 7:41 PM

R8...Today racism is a bigger problem for the left. They've let black extremists usurp their agendas & platforms to enforce their own self-serving agendas & platforms. Their intentions to sincerely advance or improve racial relations are as well-intentioned as those on the far right. The idea of race being a bigger problem for one side over the other is ludicrous, as evidenced over this past year. Black extremists who justified looting or who made millions off books that just created more divide haven't done so to improve racial anything. They did so to create their perceived balance of power. Calling for the cancellation of a country singer who called his white buddy a n***** realistically does nothing for any black American or their social advancement. It simply creates a sense of power over the big white beast on the far right they believe is plotting their demise. Between unwitting racist liberals & blatant racist nationalists, racism cannot be blamed on just one side of the political spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 62February 20, 2021 7:52 PM

R62 I add to what you say that the left has abandoned the class struggle in favor of race wrestling. And they are surprised that some people are turning to populists like Trump when it comes directly from their abandonment of the working classes, their lack of cohesion and unity. It's like they're using racialism to hide something. While people are busy fighting each others about races, they are not actually observing what politicians are really doing. It sounds like a well-organized strategy.

by Anonymousreply 63February 20, 2021 7:59 PM

As mentioned up-thread somewhere, all this race baiting and divisiveness really ramped up right after Occupy Wall Street, which was about class and the wealth gap and nothing else. If you don't think there are very powerful, billionaire-class forces at work making all this shit happen today, you're very silly and naive.

by Anonymousreply 64February 20, 2021 9:27 PM

R29 It’s true.

by Anonymousreply 65February 20, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote] These are from Marxist and Communist methods.

Thanks, hon.

Don’t forget to turn off your teeth at night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 20, 2021 10:01 PM

R66 Ok Lenine, and you don't forget to rub your gums so your teeth grow. Ah and I forgot, history books are not for coloring.

by Anonymousreply 67February 20, 2021 10:08 PM

R3, Go see what they are crying about Clubhouse. A NYT reporter already had to issue a half assed retraction for falsely alleging some dude said the word retard.

by Anonymousreply 68February 20, 2021 10:09 PM

[R66] Ok Lenine

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 69February 23, 2021 5:42 AM

[quote] With a reality czar at its head, it would be a matter of controlling information and "subversive" ideas, deciding what is correct and what is not. It remains to find this apparatchik capable of imposing progressive realism.

Wonderful idea. Makes me feel good to see we still have true believers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2021 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!