Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Scavenger Hunt" (1979)

I had never heard of this movie until it was discussed on a podcast. It looks like a budget version of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," with a million 1970s TV stars: Cloris Leachman, Richard Benjamin, James Coco, Dirk Benedict, Richard Mulligan, Avery Schreiber, Carol Wayne, and dozens of others.

The theme is even by "Eight is Enough"'s Willie Aames!

Has anyone seen it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 7:43 PM

10 year old me thought this film was the shit. There’s a toilet named Montclair, something about a foxtail biker gang, and a joke about a KKK member being an “iceberg with feet”

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 12:15 AM

Jerry Fujikawa's Sakamoto was sublime. Su-blime.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 12:20 AM

I was in high school and had a job as a movie theater usher when this movie was out. I must have seen the last 5 minutes of it 30 times as I was waiting for people to exit so I could clean up all their trash.

I will always remember Richard Masur running around with an ostrich at the end.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 12:25 AM

If memory serves, it's really funny. My dad took us to see this when it came out, then it came on HBO and we watched it another jillion times. Richard Benjamin and Cloris Leachman were particularly amusing. And for the gay factor, there's Roddy McDowell, James Coco, Robert Morley, and Vincent Price!

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 1:06 AM

^ You need to be evaluated for dementia.

Watching this film made me lose part of my will to live that I’ve never gotten back. A friend told me, “a light went out in my soul during the toilet scene.” If you’ve seen and truly remember this movie, you know of what I speak.

I say this with authority because Scavenger Hunt was circulated among friends years ago like The Ring. I’m still living with the scars of watching it and the guilt of sending it forth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 1:27 AM

[quote]I will always remember Richard Masur running around with an ostrich at the end.

Richard Masur was the reason I brought it up. On Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, Masur said Cloris Leachman was a brilliant performer, but that he and Richard Benjamin had to take turns restraining each other against her during the filming of "Scavenger Hunt."

I wanted some "One Day at a Time" goss — hold me, David, I'm scared! — but frustratingly the hosts don't ask him about Bonnie Franklin. It was apparently such an unpleasant experience that he went to Norman Lear and said the character of David wasn't working and he wanted to be released from a seasonlong contract. Lear offered to tweak the part, but Masur said no and offered to film two more episodes to write out David. They negotiated and Masur did four.

His other request was that David be killed on the show "so there was no chance I could ever come back." Lear refused. I really want to know why he wanted off so badly, same as Mary Louise Wilson the next year.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 10:57 PM

How Richard Mulligan had ANY career with his UGLY mug, let alone decent success in two television series, is beyond comprehension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 3:45 PM

Presumably, r7, it was a combination of nepotism (his brother was Oscar-nominated director Robert Mulligan -- To Kill a Mockingbird) and talent (he's uproariously funny on Soap).

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 3:56 PM

I remember this movie because as a 13 year old I saw it on the night of December 31, 1979. We went into the movie in the 70s and came out of the movie in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 4:18 PM

Loved this movie as a kid. There’s a weird continuity error where Maureen Teefy (Grease 2) magically changes from funeral attire to jeans and a blouse. I first saw it on TV so assumed there was a scene deleted but it’s the same version on the bluray

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 4:51 PM

"Rat Race" was the 2000s version of this same idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 5:52 PM

This was such an HBO staple back in the day along with "On the Right Track" and "SuperFuzz"

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 5:56 PM

R7, the beauty of her block in Wichita, also is astonished that they allowed Lincoln to be president because of his famously homely appearance.

Simply astonished.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 6:07 PM

CityTV in Toronto used to show this in the afternoon at least three times a year. I'd skip school in the afternoon to watch it, (before we had a VCR). Great memories for me with this film.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 7:05 PM

Wow, I'd completely forgotten this one. I was a young teen and all I remember was that it was a lot of fun and kind of a big deal at the time.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 7:28 PM

Is it available to stream anywhere? I loved it as a kid and wouldn't mind revisiting it but I can't find it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 7:34 PM

God, I fucking love this movie. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid and watched it on cable endlessly. Hadn't seen it in ages before it was released on Blu ray. Bought it and it's still damn funny. Stephanie Faracy is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!