Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix “I Care A Lot” with DL Fave Rosamund Pike

Pretty good 84% RT rating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 17, 2021 3:43 AM

Spoilers below so don’t read if you haven’t seen and intend to.

Loved the premise and the initial act, but ended up disappointed in this. The metrics in Hollywood telegraphed exactly what was going to happen. You start with a schlub whose mother has been ripped off and warehoused by the cunty me in character — he’s prominently featured in the opening act so you KNOW he’s there for a reason. He gets tucked away.

Then of course the protagonist and her cohort are a lesbian couple so there’s literally no way they’re going to lose in the battle with the mobsters, and the fact that the main antagonist is Peter Dinklage in full clown mode just underlined that he’s going to lose. Having a same sex couple get defeated is like having a white guy defeat a black woman — 0% chance of that happening in Hollywood today. Not that I mind that but it meant you saw the resolution coming down Fifth Ave — the wicked protagonist will checkmate the mobster and then the schlub from the beginning would step in and get revenge for the audience and What’s Right.

And this was exactly what happened.

Sometimes it’s fun to watch a story even when the ending has been put on speakerphone, as long as it’s told well. This ones ok, but it’s seriously harshed by the fact that the protag is a person who hurts old people. I’m sorry but people who harm helpless people, like children or senior citizens? Nope, not happening.

The character felt like a Kmart Wendy Kroy to me — the anti-hero in The Last Seduction. That’s what they were shooting for but having her be such an objectively terrible person just kills the fun of the conflict.

There’s also the fact that, to make the denouement work, the protag basically has to transform into a special ops warrior, in a really ludicrous scene in a garage.

Overall I wish I’d skipped this — I’d much rather just watch The Last Seduction.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 5:03 AM

I found it deeply unsettling to be honest. The whole grift scheme premise horrifies me. Taking advantage of old people and bleed them dry is deeply disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 10:47 AM

I think the theme is morbid but very true. I’m glad to see this subject get attention. I had this happen to a friend of mine. The social worker went through $600,000 in a couple months.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 12:36 PM

Terrible film but that it shows the aged care industry in a bad light is its only redeeming feature.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 12:56 PM

The recent review on IMDB are scathing. Its all ratings of 1 in a row. I think its a BOT or something.

It looks like an interesting/twisted/fun film.

I think Rosamund is supremely underrated. Everything I have seen her in, she is very good to excellent.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 12:58 PM

R5 I think it's the incels and alt-right bros, hating the movie cause they find it sexist against men and social justice "queer" tumblr woke girls cause women and more importantly lesbians are portrayed as evil and un-compassionate

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 1:28 PM

Movie went very unrealistic very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 1:28 PM

I didn’t mind it. It was an okay time waster.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2021 1:29 PM

The reviews are out there by social workers who have heard about the film.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2021 1:57 PM

It truly is an awful movie. It’s one of those that has a way of making a person violently angry. Pike is such a horrible individual, yet they decided that viewers will root for her anyway. Nope. Turns out the Russian mafia is actually who we should be rooting for. Unfortunately, this version of the Russian mafia is more like Scooby Doo villains.

Worst movie I’ve seen in years, and I’ve seen Cats.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 1:01 AM

It’s like all the other Netflix drivel. I think they’re targeting young viewers who grew up on crappy Marvel movies.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2021 3:23 AM

The real problem here is that Rosamund Pike is just not strong enough of an actress to pull off a nuanced portrayal like this.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2021 3:30 AM

And CATS is not even a bad movie, R10.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2021 3:30 AM

[quote]There’s also the fact that, to make the denouement work, the protag basically has to transform into a special ops warrior, in a really ludicrous scene in a garage.

That was the worst part. Like a video game sequence or something.

[quote] I had this happen to a friend of mine. The social worker went through $600,000 in a couple months.

r3, that sounds horrifying. Can you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2021 4:10 AM

I thought that was Jack Dorsey @the OP

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2021 4:15 AM

There was far too many contrived unfoldings that it started to play like bad TV episode. Too many people being tased or shot up with stuff to knock them out every time someone has to get out of a sticky situation or pivot the plot in another direction. She was also underwater too long to legitimately live crashing through a window, and then somehow making it out with cash to buy snacks and dry clothes along with remembering the license plates of her kidnappers and writing them on her hand. Puleeze Eye rolls all around. And everyone always seemed to show up at the right time making every kidnapping and oneupmanship almost routine. It's a very interesting premise and I'm glad it's bringing attention to a ghastly scam. I think they just used very common over the top cast of characters. A screaming little man throwing things at walls and idiot employees, greasy lawyers played in charicature, the Scooby Doo Russian mobsters mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2021 4:27 AM

I understood this was meant to be a black comedy and the characters weren't really on any kind of redemption arc. I mean, I loved American Psycho and Natural Born Killers and the fact that those characters were meant to be over the top. So I thought I would like this.

But the scam was so fucking horrifying, and seeing Dianne Weist's character's be forced into a home and her life ripped away from her by these greedy guts was horrifying, and just too stomach churning to watch after the march of greed and cravenness we've witnessed over the last two months. It was hard to stomach. That they made her a lesbian in love only enraged me more, like it was supposed to give her woke points so that we could get over how horrible she was and cheer her on for outwitting the other bad guys, but it never felt that for a second. And that female empowerment speech at the beginning just made me roll my eyes. That was utter bullshit. I was rooting for the Russian mobs to rip those cunts' faces off.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2021 4:30 AM

I don't think Rosemund will get the 5th slot.

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2021 4:35 AM

Chris Messina as the hunky lawyer made up for a lot.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2021 4:39 AM

The subject matter hit way too close to home for most of DL, as they are in their twilight years & about to become wards. Are there any good articles about this sort of elderly scam happening in real life?

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2021 4:44 AM

Yes R20, and if you watched the movie, you’ll know that many of us are cherries with no living relatives.

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2021 4:50 AM

Just saw the movie—what a load of crap.

So much scenery chewing with a contrived plot.

It could have been so much better if they had not gone the black comedy route

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2021 12:39 PM

I gave up 15 minutes in. Horrible people doing horrible things why waste my time?

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2021 1:45 PM

Wow, I really enjoyed it. I guess I just went with it.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2021 2:09 PM

Bump for original thread.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2021 3:54 PM

What R17 said. I was hoping the mobster would torture the fuck out of her.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2021 3:59 PM

The first 20 minutes were excellent.

It then ventured into slapstick territory.

And yes, I was constantly rooting for the mob to finish her off.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2021 4:00 PM

Yes it's meant to be a dark comedy but as others noted, it goes off the rails in the second half as Pike's and Dinklage's characters try to get the upper hand on each other.

Pike's character is just a stone cold POS, and she's basically doing a riff on her Gone Girl performance. If her character had a dollop of wit, she would have been a bit more engaging as Dinklage was. But I was hoping they'd both off each other honestly, especially after seeing him looking at the drug mule photos. The lesbian partner in crime could go too.

Weist played the only character that I enjoyed watching and she didn't have nearly enough screentime.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2021 4:04 PM

[quote]R1 the fact that the main antagonist is Peter Dinklage in full clown mode just underlined that he’s going to lose.

SPOILER

except he doesn’t. they both win, for a time.

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2021 4:19 PM

Things ended pretty well for little Mr Dinklage

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote] except he doesn’t. they both win, for a time.

That’s just a twist. He loses. After that, he pivots.

by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2021 5:27 PM

By the way, the director is one of those Brits who come over here to work and then shit all over the country. Like Gervais basically.

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2021 5:30 PM

The goon getting knocked out by that oxygen tank was pretty funny.

The rest made me pretty queasy and hated most of the ending, except the last few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2021 5:55 PM

Was that Dinklage or a body double in that scene where they find him naked in the middle of the road? He has a cute butt.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2021 6:05 PM

r20, there was a case in Nevada a few years ago where a woman was running a scam like this; it's been mentioned in a number of articles about the movie and seems like it was an inspiration for it. Here's a long New Yorker story about it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2021 7:02 PM

Here's the outcome of that story. At least she was sent to prison, though that doesn't in any way compare to the harm she caused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2021 7:04 PM

And here's a NYT article with a lot of such stories, all horrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2021 7:05 PM

Trixie and Katya watch it on their Netflix series if you want to see a 15 minute version of it. At first we thought maybe we want to watch this, but after realizing Rosamunde’s character was gonna win, that’s all I could take. Too gruesome a premise for me. Diane was the best part of it.

by Anonymousreply 38February 21, 2021 8:08 PM

I don’t think the main character is supposed to be engaging or sympathetic. She’s clearly evil. The audience is not supposed to root for her, which is why the ending is perfect. I think Netflix is doing a good thing by bringing attention to the appalling and all-too-common practice of coerced guardianship, which in many cases is simply imprisonment and robbery. And the story is definitely not anti-men since women play most of the villains. Incels really are thick. Weist plays the only sympathetic character. I don't think it was meant to be a dark comedy but rather a negative commentary on our materialistic, corrupt society.

by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2021 8:20 PM

Eiza Gonzales was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2021 8:23 PM

r39. The movie pretty much whacks you over the head with the message. In this world there are only two kinds of people: Predators and prey ... *aimed at the audience* which one are you?

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2021 8:57 PM

R40 the first and last time that will ever be said about Eiza.

by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2021 9:53 PM

I agree with those who felt is started strong but then went off the rails. Too bad because the premise was really intriguing.

SPOILERS

One thing that really annoyed me was all the almost-deaths. Russia mafia can't seem to pull off any proper kills, but an in-over-her-head GAL can stage putting someone in a coma without actually killing him. By that point I was rolling my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote]Terrible film but that it shows the aged care industry in a bad light is its only redeeming feature.

I agree with this.

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2021 10:18 PM

I enjoyed it, but it did make me sick to think that she got away with it. Until the very end

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2021 10:35 PM

In the right hands, that could have been a fucking great film. They took the easy route by attempting to make it a dark comedy but the premise was so damn dark, the thin "humor" added absolutely nothing and cheapened it.

This is one of those movies I'd love to see a different director take a whack at. Like Fincher.

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2021 10:55 PM

She's a real crock of cunt!

Whoever put that emo wig on Dinklage should never work again! Who looks at him and thinks he'd look good with bangs?!

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2021 12:49 AM

Horrible. My partner gave up after 15 minutes but then it turned and I thought, okay, they are going the revenge route, but then it turned again and suddenly she's Super Villian with powers that gets her out of near death experiences and a girlfriend who gets beaten up practically to death but she still looks beautiful with a couple of strategically placed bruises. The ending just didn't do it for me. I wanted both of them to have incredibly painful deaths. Sorry. Garbage.

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2021 2:36 AM

We cheered at the ending. But then my partner turned to me and said I remind him of Rosamund’s character... I’m like, wtf?

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2021 3:22 PM

I hated it. I wanted to like it but it was not good

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote] But then my partner turned to me and said I remind him of Rosamund’s character... I’m like, wtf?

Maybe he thought you were watching Gone Girl and thought of your affinity for taking showers together.

by Anonymousreply 51February 23, 2021 3:45 AM

I liked it and it was something completely different. Rosamund Pike did a fantastic job. The film just didn't know what it wanted to be. It could have been just as good without the unrealistic Atomic Blond like stunts. The premise and the acting were good without having to go off the rails. I bet Pike will win an award for this performance. There are a lot of strong women this year for best actress.

by Anonymousreply 52February 23, 2021 4:06 AM

She's not making a dent on sexy Viola and Mulligan's fight to the death. And don't expect St. Viola to go to down without a fight.

by Anonymousreply 53February 23, 2021 4:09 AM

When Carey Mulligan wins on Sunday this race will over.

by Anonymousreply 54February 23, 2021 4:10 AM

There are so many great women this year. Frances Mcdormant was terrific. She should at least get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 55February 23, 2021 4:20 AM

Is this movie about britney spears in a roundabout way lol.

Anyway it was a little one note for me. I didn’t like it very much it was pretty boring. And the guardianship thing - wow- a lot of boomers are about to lose their fortunes.

by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2021 4:27 AM

It was garbage. There was a brief shot of Dinklage's round ass. Not worth. it.

by Anonymousreply 57February 23, 2021 4:43 AM

Dinklage has shown his ass before, in a movie that was nowhere near as noxious as this one. And yes, it's very nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2021 10:44 AM

At best, a medium good made-for-TV, Movie of the Week type piece of crap. Chris Messina should have been in the whole thing. He can be the court-appointed guardian of my ass any day.

by Anonymousreply 59February 23, 2021 11:39 AM

The grey looks good on him.

by Anonymousreply 60February 23, 2021 12:41 PM

Sorry, I posted this in a knock-off thread. But this was so bad, even LIfetime wouldn't have made it.

by Anonymousreply 61February 23, 2021 8:08 PM

Chris Messina was HAWT. His sexuality filled the screen and I don’t know if the grey hair was real or not but wow, DADDY!

by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2021 8:37 PM

A movie that dares to ask, "What if a whole bunch of stuff happened?"

by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2021 8:53 PM

Peter Dinklage just makes me cringe

by Anonymousreply 64February 23, 2021 8:56 PM

It was completely implausible how inept the mob was at killing and how competent she was at everything.

And the movie wanted us to root for her, which was impossible.

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2021 8:59 PM

Really, R64? I kind of want to do sexual stuff to him.

by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2021 9:47 PM

A nice ending would have shown Ms. Grayson and GF being bled dry just as slowly and painfully as their victims were.

by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2021 10:19 PM

Too many agenda layers for that, r67.

by Anonymousreply 68February 24, 2021 2:03 AM

Ugh, brace for “I Don’t Care For The Whole Lot, The Sequel” as Fran inherits the multi billion Forbes whatever firm and runs it to the ground until a Mexican Cartel whose asses she’s obliged to serve for dinner handling three semi-automatics at the same time wakes up from a blow job coma to realize they must obey her. The actress is Mexican so that’s why u think they’ll go in that direction, complete with yellow dessert film tones and English subtitles for el diálogo en español.

Enjoy.

Or don’t.

by Anonymousreply 69February 24, 2021 3:30 AM

You bitches are so uninteresting and stupid.

This movie didn’t ask you to sympathise or root for anybody. That was the whole point. More than half of you idiots can’t even recognise an anti-hero when you see one. This movie was just lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 70February 24, 2021 4:22 AM

What r70 said. Nobody was supposed to root for any of the characters, they were all disgusting. I thought it was good for what it was, solid performances all around. And it touched on a subject that doesn't get enough attention.

by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2021 4:42 AM

I give the lead actress her due. She acted her ass off. I was never more enraged and fascinated by a character

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2021 4:42 AM

Omg, where are you people getting they made her a lesbian for woke points and make us root for her? The character was clearly portrayed as absolute vile, despicable monster. Up until the end she was giving Jason Voorhees vibes in the sense she's pure evil and can't be stop.

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2021 4:55 AM

When do so many DLers become so stupid? Are they really gay men or idiot fraus?

This was a good movie, something different for a change.

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2021 4:58 AM

She is so damn good at playing sociopaths. Could almost be a sequel to Gone Girl. Amazing Amy grifting the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 75February 24, 2021 5:57 AM

I like that they are inclusive and showing gay people for what they really are for once - horrible, terrible people.

by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2021 5:59 AM

Ben Affleck hated Rosamund Pike during Gone Girl saying she was exactly like her character in real life. I like the anti hereon. She plays them well. I felt like the main characters being lesbians felt authentic to the story and were going for woke points. Pike was the perfect hard lipstick.

by Anonymousreply 77February 24, 2021 6:02 AM

Anyone who watched that movie and thought you were supposed to root for her: seek help.

by Anonymousreply 78February 24, 2021 6:02 AM

Agree with R 52. Guess I’m not the only person who truly enjoyed the film. Pike was excellent. To me, the lesbian love story was not woke, neither here nor there. Can’t a movie ever have a gay people in it and have that be a non-issue ??

And of course it calls attention to these hideous caretakers.

by Anonymousreply 79February 24, 2021 6:22 AM

This movie seem right up DL's rank mussy. I am surprised this is getting so much hate. It's gotten positive reviews and everyone I know who has seen it enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 80February 24, 2021 6:29 AM

Why would anyone watching this film think that the character of Marla Grayson would EVER BE WITH A MAN? She says several times that she’s not going to owned by a man. Pay attention, people!

This was as good as any Coen Bros. film.

by Anonymousreply 81February 24, 2021 7:08 AM

I thought it was great, cheers!

by Anonymousreply 82February 24, 2021 8:03 AM

R77, did Ben maybe stop to think she was a method actress? Or was he too concerned that his drink be mixed properly?

by Anonymousreply 83February 24, 2021 12:57 PM

I thought Wiest was wasted. But I loved Messina’s courtroom bulge.

by Anonymousreply 84February 26, 2021 2:13 AM

I hated it, I fast forwarded through the last half. I think they should have made her go to prison in the end instead of the stupid ending it had.

by Anonymousreply 85February 26, 2021 2:17 AM

^ Reese Witherspoon, still bitter

by Anonymousreply 86February 26, 2021 2:58 AM

I thought it was very good, and it was something different from the usual fare that's out right now.

It wasn't about a superhero, it wasn't Woke and it wasn't a dreary depressing Oscar Bait movie. Very refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 87February 26, 2021 3:06 AM

I thought it was good, I thought about it the next day, so that's a good sign. I think it had the potential to be great, falls a bit short.

by Anonymousreply 88February 26, 2021 3:26 AM

Chris Messina just adds that something extra to what he does. This movie might be to sophisticated for some of you of you queens.

by Anonymousreply 89February 26, 2021 5:18 AM

The thing about a good antihero story is that it requires a least a bit of sympathy for/understanding of/amusement about the protagonist. Dinklage understands and managed to do that with his character. Wiest had too little screen time. Pike just created a flat cardboard robotic Terminatrix villain, and the story was far too full of convenient coincidences to suspend disbelief. There was nothing novel or interesting about the ending. The villains succeed. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 90February 26, 2021 5:31 AM

I saw the trailer and was intrigued but having read the synopsis, it's a "no" for me.

All the characters are awful people doing horrible things to victimized people and it sounds too much like daily headlines to be enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 91February 26, 2021 6:28 AM

The movie could've fleshed out the strained, or non-existing, relationship between the lead and her mother. That would've given the leading character more depth beyond being a vicious, cold-hearted predator preying on the elderly. But maybe that wasn't the intention of the movie after all? Maybe the lead wasn't supposed to be liked and appreciated as an anti heroine?

by Anonymousreply 92February 26, 2021 6:35 AM

[quote]All the characters are awful people doing horrible things to victimized people and it sounds too much like daily headlines to be enjoyable.

Good lord. Maybe you should never watch anything ever again. Or leave your house.

by Anonymousreply 93February 26, 2021 6:46 AM

She's not supposed to be an anti-heroine. Not every movie is supposed to have a hero. Some movies are about horrible people.

Think Barbara Stanwyck in Double Idemnity.

by Anonymousreply 94February 26, 2021 6:46 AM

The reviews by "users" are really depressing! "Oh it's so distasteful" "Oh its takes advantage of the elderly" "Oh it's immoral" For Christake sake: where did this generation of sensitive flowers who are offended come from?! What do they expect of a Black Comedy?!

No wonder comedians now dread going to university campuses. Everything has to be "inoffensive".

by Anonymousreply 95February 26, 2021 7:03 AM

Once upon a time, not so very long ago, people looked forward to being offended by comedy, and the rug pulled from under them. No bloody longer! Everything has to conform and pander to their expectations and trite values.

by Anonymousreply 96February 26, 2021 7:06 AM

It wasn't funny or droll or mordant though, just flat. And Phyllis Dietrichson is a fascinating character. Marla Grayson is not.

by Anonymousreply 97February 26, 2021 7:09 AM

Loved it

by Anonymousreply 98February 26, 2021 7:14 AM

The movie is based on Marla's perspective. She sees herself as a victim of misogyny believing that men don't hate her because she's vile, they hate her because she's good at it. Her monologue every time a man calls her a bitch or threatens her reflects her world view. It is played very straight, in a dark comedy it can read as we are meant to feel for her, take her side. The way men fall sheepishly silent afterwords executes like a tiny takedown of the patriarchy.

I agree we are not meant to root for her, but the direction takes many queues from standard heroic fair. Even the final scene has a crying widow. Satire needs to be made clear or be mistaken for intention. Since the comedy felt out of place The Narrator's philosophy felt like the movie's core. It's thesis statement. Concluding that Marla, herself, fell victim to another man's rage.

by Anonymousreply 99February 26, 2021 8:49 AM

I hear that the queues from the standard heroic fair can get long indeed, so I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 100February 26, 2021 11:20 AM

Next time I'm taking Mad Tea Party or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride instead.

by Anonymousreply 101February 26, 2021 11:25 AM

I'm one of the boring people who's familiar with the real-life subject matter and doesn't see any appeal in seeing it treated as entertainment. It's amusing to see how many people decided to shove their face in a pile of shit, and now are looking down at the rest of us with their shit-covered faces, sneering, "You DON'T want to smear shit all over your face? You're so boring! You're so simple-minded! You're so trite and dull and demand predictability! Unlike me! I have shit all over my face! And I LOVE it! Look how cool and clever and edgy I am! SHIT ON MY FACE!"

You do you, scat lovers. The rest of us will be perfectly happy being boring simpletons who didn't feel like shoving our faces in a pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 102February 26, 2021 11:32 AM

[quote] This movie might be to sophisticated for some of you of you queens.

Or it might be unsophisticated like your grammar.

by Anonymousreply 103February 26, 2021 11:33 AM

R102 Disney movies are made for that purpose. Go take a look to Cinderella or The Sleeping Beauty, you won’t be able to relate to any of them so they can’t hurt you :)

What you are saying is that watching this movie moved or affected you somehow, so you can’t really say it’s a bad movie, a bad movie doesn’t do that and that’s all we are here discussing.

You can’t just call a movie bad because it’s hard for you to watch it. A lot of people here in DL are trashing the movie because they relate with Diane’s character so, as a consequence, they really hate Rosamund’s when in fact they know that, in other circumstances, they would have loved her.

Some people can’t just get rid of their ego when it comes to judge quality, can they?

by Anonymousreply 104February 26, 2021 12:57 PM

And Rosamund makes a terrific performance, that’s why you all can’t deal with the movie and what’s being told. Aging makes people more annoying for fact. Just don’t call us scat lovers because we don’t hate her just for this performance.

by Anonymousreply 105February 26, 2021 12:59 PM

It’s like saying “Schlindlers’ List” is a bad movie because you are upset they are using nazi victims’ pain as entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 106February 26, 2021 1:05 PM

Whenever Rosamund sports a bob in her movies, you know shit is going down and you should avoid her at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 107February 26, 2021 1:23 PM

I thought it was excellent and a warning to those that have money and no family can afford and should take precautions to make sure this doesn't happen to them.

by Anonymousreply 108February 26, 2021 1:30 PM

I wanted Wiest to be more involved in Pike’s undoing, like if she had been the real mob boss.

by Anonymousreply 109February 26, 2021 1:35 PM

I think the movie's themes triggers a lot of people (boy, did it trigger me!) and that emotional turmoil might make them write unkind things about movie for putting them through all that. Pike played the mustache twirling villain to perfection imho. I thought it was great to just hate her character. Even her being a lesbian didn't change my tune.

We give entertainers a lot of credit for making us laugh or cry, but do we do the same with actors or actresses playing irredeemable villains?

For me the movie was a bit challenging, but it was still a great movie, with great performances and poignant scenes, and I won't forget it any day soon.

by Anonymousreply 110February 26, 2021 3:07 PM

R10 - agree with you re Scooby Doo villains. There is no way in hell the Russian mafia would have been so sloppy about killing the 2 women. No mafia would have left that job as finished unless they were absolutely certain life was extinguished because they risk getting offed themselves for botching it. Ludicrous development in the show overall, although I know it was done to advance the plot in the direction desired.

by Anonymousreply 111February 26, 2021 3:22 PM

Pike’s hair is indeed formidable in this movie. Looks like the kind of do you need to trim every day.

by Anonymousreply 112February 26, 2021 5:07 PM

I deal with this subject matter quite a bit, and I think it’s a great premise for a film, even a dark comedy. It IS an are of law that is ripe for abuse and it is tremendously satisfying to see someone like Pike’s character meet her match and her her comeuppance. I was enjoying the premise, wondering just how long a totally shameless and corrupt lawyer could abuse the law to outwit a totally shameless and corrupt violent Russian mafioso. But the movie just took too many ridiculous turns, I stopped enjoying it not even halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 113February 26, 2021 6:33 PM

r106, do you think Schindler's List was intended as "entertainment?" I certainly don't. Drama, art, a story that needed to be told--yes. Nothing about that movie made it seem like Holocaust victims' pain was being treated as entertainment.

It also wasn't told from the perspective of Amon Goth, with the people in gas chambers being ignored and forgotten while the movie focuses on the wacky hijinks of Goth trying to foil the antagonist trying to stop him from shoving people in gas chambers. Plenty of people would have found that tacky too.

by Anonymousreply 114February 26, 2021 6:39 PM

Get off your fucking cross r114. It's just a fucking movie on Netflix. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 115February 26, 2021 7:07 PM

When people can't respond to the substance of one's comment and just start throwing "fucking" around, they certainly sound intelligent, don't they?

PS: If I have a cross, I guess that means I am Jesus, in which case "It's just a fucking movie on Netflix, Jesus." might work better.

by Anonymousreply 116February 26, 2021 7:27 PM

No r116 you're just a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 117February 26, 2021 7:41 PM

It was no Arsenic and Old Lace.

by Anonymousreply 118February 26, 2021 9:38 PM

r117, So clever! Such wit! You're really showing the intelligence level of the people who enjoyed this movie.

by Anonymousreply 119February 26, 2021 10:50 PM

r119 is so above it all. It's a good movie for what it is. No sympathetic characters, and it's nasty. No wonder the fraus and femmebottoms hate it.

by Anonymousreply 120February 27, 2021 12:14 AM

There are those of us here who are well aware of how a black comedy operates and its intentions, but felt the film failed at it. It started out promising, but fell apart towards the end. And don't kid yourself that the main character being in love with her girlfriend while simultaneously being a horrible piece of shit wasn't there to as a means to gain some sympathy for the character. I've watched plenty of films and shows with an anti-hero, with an entire cast of truly terrible characters, but they need to have some kind of charisma or charm to pull the viewer along otherwise what is the point. Look at that final shot of Pike's Maya Grayson dying in the arms of her crying lover and then tell me again it wasn't designed to evoke a modicum of sympathy for her plight at the hands of an evil white man.

It had the right ingredients in there, but it came out wrong. This review was pretty accurate to me on the film's failures. I also agree that the timing was just bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 27, 2021 4:18 AM

For the last 10 years I've been the legal guardian to 4 kids, trustee of their trusts. I'm family but I am also a lawyer.

I hate this film because it glorifies a stereotype of guardians. I stepped in because I loved these kids and nobody ese in the family would. I mean nobody. And they all act now like they were so helpful, so good. I don't challenge any of it. The fact they finally got on board to help the situation these many years later is good for the kids. I'll never tell the kids how they initially abandoned them.

In these 10 years, I have never taken a penny from the trusts, and have paid dearly financially, emotionally, and in many ways, lost out on my career.

At one point, there were distant family members who wanted to take over. The children did not even know them. They got the court to knock me out for a year, during which time, the court hired firms to do what I did for free. In that year, the paid trustee and guardian decimated their finances. When the court finally returned me to my position as trustee/guardian, close to $50k was out the door. Probably more. Just on their fees, their accountant's fees. their lawyer's fees. It builds.

So, yes, the film's depiction of these bloodsuckers is accurate to the extent that they bill their hourly at will and there is nobody to negotiate otherwise. Just know some of us out here who are doing this out of love often do it at a loss on the books. Not on the heart.

by Anonymousreply 122February 27, 2021 6:08 AM

Nobody's bashing guardianship in general. It's about the bad eggs that are present in every profession, organization, or industry.

by Anonymousreply 123February 27, 2021 6:14 AM

Legit, R123.

My point is that once the court steps in and appoints someone/firms, the money just goes. I've seen it. If there is money there, there's no incentive not to spend it.

As for the film generally? The entire storyline was implausible and the acting was over the top. Helen Lawson would be spinning in her grave!

by Anonymousreply 124February 27, 2021 6:29 AM

Of course, it's an overwrought dramatization. They want to soften it by calling it a dark comedy and having Rosa wear that wig.

by Anonymousreply 125February 27, 2021 6:43 AM

Might have been better with a Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul treatment. At least then, we'd get some internal exposition in Rosamund's or Dinklage's character.

Sucking a vape, throwing a vase--none of these deflections gets to the nub of their pathologies.

by Anonymousreply 126February 27, 2021 7:47 AM

I don't like it, the subject is too disgusting and too reprehensible for me to even justify it, but if this film can expose the the guardianship industry, I can't believe it is really an industry for profit, then it deserves applause even though I still hate it.

by Anonymousreply 127February 28, 2021 8:18 AM

She's coming for you, eldergays! That's why everyone hates the film.

by Anonymousreply 128February 28, 2021 4:38 PM

There was an excellent -- if disturbing and infuriating -- documentary on this very topic done a few years ago. It's called "The Guardians." I think it's available on Amazon Prime.

I actually wonder if the filmmakers of "I Care a Lot" got their idea (and some of the material) directly from the doc. There are plot points from "I Care a Lot" right in the trailer (at link below) for "The Guardians."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 28, 2021 4:52 PM

r128 I do think it hits way too close to home for DL's eldergays. God knows most of them are estranged from their families.

by Anonymousreply 130February 28, 2021 6:09 PM

This might shock you, R128, but some of us have parents who are elderly whom we worry about. After reading that New Yorker piece from 2017 which the film is based on (And Marla is an exact copy of April Parks in her methodology, the guardian in Nevada at the center of the piece). At one point in the film, Marla says to Dinklage's mob boss to try and beat her legitimately, in court, to outwit her, but I guess all of the men in this film were too stupid, as evidenced by the incompetent antics of the Russian mobsters and the terrible white guy who used slurs against her at first and then ultimately guns her down at the end because he'd just watched Marla destroy his mother. Demonizing the powerless did this film no favors.

I reiterate - this film suffered from poor timing. I didn't object to the sociopath anti-hero being a woman (I actually loved Gone Girl), just how she was turned into a martyr at the end. Reminded me of a certain figure we've been dealing with for the last four and half years. I not only didn't care about Marla's fate, and the way the film tried to buoy her character by championing her girlboss efficiency and brilliance, I did not find anything funny in it at all - kind of a deathly result for a black comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 1, 2021 7:51 PM

Pike is a weak link here. Annette Bening or Angelica Houston in their youth would have been better,

by Anonymousreply 132March 1, 2021 8:08 PM

Just finished watching my illegally downloaded copy of the film. It's an entertaining satire that's obviously not meant to be taken too seriously. But I hated how Miss Wiest totally disappeared in the second half and what the fuck was up with that horrible tacked-on ending?! It was like watching a Hays code-era movie where the bad guys always had to be punished right before the end credits rolled, even if it didn't make much sense.

by Anonymousreply 133March 1, 2021 8:28 PM

I called it! I knew Rosamund Pike would win an award for this performance. She was great!

by Anonymousreply 134March 2, 2021 3:24 AM

Thought it was fantastic. So enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 135March 5, 2021 8:47 AM

Not surprising the negative Buzzfeed review was written by a man.

How many awful immoral men have been celebrated in film and tv - Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Wolf Of Wall Street, Goodfellas, Fast & Furious - yet a woman gets to do the same and she’s held to a very different standard.

by Anonymousreply 136March 5, 2021 8:57 AM

I can understand the hate. Most DLers are just a couple of memory lapses short of a court-appointed guardian.

by Anonymousreply 137March 15, 2021 3:53 AM

She was good in it. The character reminded me of Johnny Depp’s ex.

by Anonymousreply 138March 15, 2021 4:34 AM

I would do things to Peter Dinklage, too.

by Anonymousreply 139March 15, 2021 4:35 AM

Awful series. We had four years of grifting abs we don’t need to give more ideas to the deplorable types.

by Anonymousreply 140March 15, 2021 4:45 AM

Unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 141March 15, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote] Awful series.

Um, it's a movie.

by Anonymousreply 142March 15, 2021 12:44 PM

I just can't get over how much Peter Dinklage looks like Casey Affleck in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 143March 15, 2021 12:56 PM

Netflix bought her a Golden Globe R134. Pike hasn’t been nominated for or won a single legitimate award, including the Oscars today.

by Anonymousreply 144March 15, 2021 1:12 PM

Every time I see that pic in the OP I think Jack Dorsey is up to something.

by Anonymousreply 145March 15, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote]Pike is a weak link here. Annette Bening or Angelica Houston in their youth would have been better,

Great point, although that casting would have been tricky considering that was then and this is now.

But along those lines, they definitely should have invented the COVID vaccines first and [italic]then[/italic]had the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 146March 15, 2021 2:30 PM

Off topic but Pike has kids named Solo and Atom. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 147March 15, 2021 2:32 PM

Pike is too cold and one note to elicit the kind of sympathy the role required. As is, there are no redeeming qualities and her feminist speaches sound like excuses to behave badly. Even her lesbian romance was not believable. Also, although it is supposed to be a dark comedy, it simply wasn’t funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 148March 29, 2021 1:08 PM

We were supposed to sympathize with her?

by Anonymousreply 149March 30, 2021 4:32 PM

Wow, I fucking hated this movie so much. Not one thing to recommend about it. It could have been good, biting satire, but whoever this idiot writer/director is, he has no clue how to handle it. It just comes off like a higher budgeted Lifetime Movie.

by Anonymousreply 150April 17, 2021 3:35 AM

It’s awful. I don’t get it’s popularity.

by Anonymousreply 151April 17, 2021 3:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!