Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do so many people love little foofy dogs?

They are

so

fucking

UGLY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2021 12:59 PM

I love animals, but the appeal of those yapping little fluff dogs escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2021 3:30 AM

I love animals and love most dogs, R1, but some of the little ones just seem like snarling bags of bones and it escapes me why anyone wants that.

I get that they're defensive, but....I mean, if the damn thing barks 22 of 24 hours a day.....just, no.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2021 3:36 AM

I have had a succession of poodle-mixes/cockapoos , all of them in the 12-15 lb. size range, throughout my adult life. I wasn't particularly a poodle fan but I happened upon a stray, who was struggling down the snowy sidewalk in front of my home (turned out he had only three legs). I brought him inside and he turned out to be the smartest, sweetest, happiest little guy ever! When he died, I headed to the humane society and adopted another poodle-mix, who had a similar look. He, too, was marvelous-- intelligent, compliant, and eager to please. I am now on my fourth poodle-mix, and at one point, had a toy poodle, too. All were rescue dogs (No, they didn't drink from dainty tea cups!) and each was fantastic. We also have had three Scottie dogs, a rat terrier and a lab, whom we loved dearly. However, now that we are old and require easy, reasonable dogs, my husband and I always say "Cockapoos forever!" That is how great those little floofers are. Plus, they have the added bonus of "therapeutic curls". When you run your hands through their wooly coats, you just feel better.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2021 3:47 AM

I had a maltese that looked like one in the link. He needed a lot of maintenance cause he shredded fur a lot and he also hated bathing. But he was very well-behaved, calm and never barked incessantly. His bark was not a sharp shriek either. He did use to cry and just roll around the floor when me or my parents would return home after the day. That was never annoying though. He was so sweet. I miss him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2021 4:04 AM

^^ Sorry. That was the wrong link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2021 4:05 AM

I adopted a 10-pound adult Maltese when he was 5 and a half, and had him until he died in my arms 6 and half years later. He saved my life. He got me through a really rough period and motivated me to be a better person. People would stop me on the street and tell me how beautiful he was, and he loved to shine. It's been over 9 years since he died, and I still think about him every day.

It doesn't answer your question, OP, but sometimes little foofy dogs really are man's best friend.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2021 4:41 AM

R3, I recently had a delightful poodle mix stray as a house guest that I rescued and warmed from hypothermia, and thoroughly enjoyed her stay until she could be turned over to the local Humane Society. They checked her over and located the owner.

Like you, I was surprised to learn what excellent dogs they are. This coming from an owner of several large, non-floofy pooches over the years. I'll add poodles/mixes to the list next time I'm looking.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2021 8:59 AM

Why?

Little foofy dogs are better kissers.

So there!

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2021 9:34 AM

I don't like canine excreta in my house!

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2021 9:41 AM

"Foofy"? ๐‘…๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ฆ?

Large, potentially dangerous dogs bark too, OP/R1/R2. I'm not sure what your collective socktivist point is supposed to be, unless it's to call small dogs and by extension their owners, 'sissy.'

That really shouldn't play here.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2021 9:43 AM

R10 Nothing about "sissy" implied. That's quite a stretch.

"Foofy" is a term for those dogs that get very babied, carried around in purses, wear bows, etc.

And it goes for straight owners too. I'm in a warm climate and just see a LOT of small dogs.

To me, in general, they come across as more neurotic and more defensive. And some of them are just painfully unattractive. When owners coo at how "cute" three or four randomly distributed clumps of fur are.....I guess beauty really IS in the eye of the beholder.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2021 1:59 PM

OP, bitch, my foofy little ass won BEST IN SHOW at Westminster in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2021 2:45 PM

OP- You're fucking ugly too it doesn't mean you don't deserve to be loved. I'm sure you'll find someone.

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2021 2:53 PM

Poodles and their mixes are smart, loving dogs. I just wish they weren't groomed to look like OP's picture. They're attractive with natural hair cut short, in what is called a puppy cut.

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2021 2:58 PM

People in general are stupid.. If you haven't figured that out by now- you may be the same.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2021 3:01 PM

I love dogs, but I do prefer a much larger breed with short hair over the smaller floofers.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2021 3:05 PM

Poodles have at least two characteristics that make them ideal as part of a mixed breed dog: they are smart, and the don't shed or they don't shed much.

Here's a Youtube vid of the popular poodle mixes and the characteristics of each mixed breed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2021 3:09 PM

Last summer, we lost our black Lab when she died suddenly at the age of 14. We planned to get another Lab, but that didn't materialize. This time around, to be honest, I think I'd rather have a smaller dog, something wooly and floofy, but my partner would prefer a Lab to take hiking. We'll see...

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2021 3:30 PM

There's nothing ugly about that dog, OP.

Give me an animal over a human any fucking day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote]R10 Nothing about "sissy" implied. That's quite a stretch.

No, it isn't, R11. It's part of a collection of words used to designate homosexuals, frequently in a denigrative fashion, i.e. 'pansy'..

Adjective

๐Ÿ๐จ๐จ๐Ÿ๐ฒ (comparative foofier, superlative foofiest)

(slang) Excessively frilly or frou-frou, typically in a manner calculated to attract attention to an otherwise unremarkable person or event.

To act like a ๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘“: a derivation of poof (See ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘“)

๐ฉ๐จ๐จ๐Ÿ - Britspeak for gay, with the implication that the man is soft and easily vanquished (as in a "poof" of air). (aka poofter)

from Reuter, Donald F. (2006) ๐บ๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ-2-๐‘๐‘’๐‘’: ๐ด ๐ท๐‘–๐‘๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘†๐‘’๐‘ฅ, ๐‘†๐‘ข๐‘๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘ฅ๐‘ก, ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘†๐‘ข๐‘๐‘™๐‘–๐‘š๐‘’, pp. 79, 162.

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2021 3:41 PM

R20 I'm American. I did not intend it that way, nor did I ever understand it to mean that.

If you want, by all means die on this hill, but you aren't sucking me into it. Lemme know if you need a glass of water, though.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2021 3:57 PM

I like Maltese dogs & Bichon Frise dogs. Maltese are lap dogs. They don't need much exercise. I don't think of these breeds as yapping dogs. They are good for apartment dwellers who don't have the time / inclination for long walks (exercise). You have to keep the area around their eyes clean.

I was walking a Maltese dog, once, in L.A. area. There was a guy, sitting on the curb, looking depressed. When he saw my dog, he visibly brightened up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2021 4:06 PM

This is strained pasta and Dukes vs Hellmans all over again

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote]: I'm American. I did not intend it that way, nor did I ever understand it to mean that.

But that's simply what it means, R21, regardless of country. Would your Native American name be 'Fights with Dictionaries,' by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2021 4:19 PM

I love dogs excessively, but I would not pick a little dog as a pet. I have always preferred medium-size mutts.

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2021 5:06 PM

Poodles are the second smartest breed, so they have that going for them. But come on, big dogs are better in every way.

Well, until you need to carry them...

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2021 5:11 PM

I don't understand it. Most of those small dogs have fucked up, ugly faces. Give me a medium sized or bigger dog any day, they don't yap and aren't snappy like those little glorified rats.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2021 5:14 PM

The saddest thing is when you see one of those tiny mini-poodle cross breeds all wet during a bath. Pathetic, rat-like faces. Hideous, frankly.

My apologies to anyone who currently owns or has owned one of them.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2021 6:21 PM

People tend to condemn poodles because of their topiary-type coifs, which are deemed ridiculous. The original standard poodles were retrievers and the poofs of hair on their legs were meant to keep their joints warm in the water. I happen to find the poodle-cut extremely elegant on show dogs. However, in real life, it can make smaller poodles appear a bit rat-faced. The answer is, as another poster suggested, a puppy cut, which transforms smaller poodles into adorable teddy bears.

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2021 10:26 PM

Soft and cuddly like babies. That's the selling point.

That, and the breeding of dogs with flat faces to approximate a human face.

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2021 10:28 PM

how DAAAAAARRRRE you?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2021 10:52 PM

OP = Ted Cruz

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2021 11:01 PM

They're always filthy. They bury their faces in wet dog food and look like they just ate out an unclean ass.

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2021 11:25 PM

BIG dogs master race! Newfoundland, Saint Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog, Great Pyrenees, German Shepherd, Malamute, Husky, etc.

You are an embarrassment if you own one of those wimpy looking dogs as a man.

by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2021 3:01 AM

Hear hear, R34! Big real dogs for real, masculine men. Itโ€™s the only way.

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2021 3:15 AM

^^ See? Told ja.

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2021 10:46 AM

This argument always comes down to the same thing. Small dogs are "gay" and therefore bad. Big dogs are "manly" and therefore good. It's always the same, and it's fucking stupid and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2021 11:04 AM

My parents have a golden doodle and he's about 60 lbs, so far from little or foofy and exhibits positive characteristics of both breeds--smart, friendly, easy to train and gets along with humans and other dogs. Not the best watch dog but that's not why they got him.

R3 - do you have a mini cockapoo? The ones I've known are sort of mid-sized, say 25-35 lbs. (I realize it depends on the size of the poodle father)

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2021 11:10 AM

R37 Has a small dog and feels insecure about it.

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2021 11:12 AM

No, none my dogs are small, I'm just tired of seeing the same phobic bullshit on DL over and over. We've had versions of this thread many times over the years.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2021 12:42 PM

R38, I think my cockapoos were all pretty average in size. I know there are mini golden-doodles and such but cockapoos are naturally fairly small. Poodles tend to be slim but cocker spaniels can become a bit tubby if you're not careful so, perhaps, overfeeding accounts for the weightier cockapoos.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2021 1:28 PM

I never weighed them R41, was just guessing on that as they seemed to have been more towards mid-sized like a cocker spaniel than small like a Yorkie. But like I said, it depends on the size of the poodle parent.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2021 1:31 PM

A short walk down Palm Canyon Drive in Palm Springs and you see dozens of Muscle Marys prancing with these silly white puffy bow and ribbon attired purse puppies.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2021 1:33 PM

You are ugly, OP. Ugly fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2021 1:35 PM

OP, I love you- agreed.

Poodles are the worst. I felt the same way about Dachsunds and those shaky little whatchamacallits. Don't really mind them anymore, but they aren't my thing.

The site of poodles though- No.

I always thought Rat Terriers were little fuckers from afar, but the few I have "met" are actually funny little creatures.

My favorite breeds are Chocolate Labs, Malamutes, and Huskies.

I think Rottweilers get a bad reputation- I have yet to meet one that wasn't a sweetheart.

Pitbull? Never, ever, ever, ever, ever. I see one and I get out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2021 1:37 PM

I love dogs. I've had a dachshund and subsequently a basset hound. Great dogs, the both of them. Now I have a miniature poodle / shih tzu mix. Really, what a difference. The poodle mix is MUCH more interested in being cooperative and MUCH more a companion dog. And smart. Smart and inquisitive.

Make sure you have the right breed with the right traits that suit you. Because you're not going to change and neither is the dog.

by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2021 1:40 PM

A friend of mine has a small dog, I think it's a shih tzu, it started yapping at my parents older dog and so my dog, a german shepherd, went over, lifted his paw and slammed it down on the small little cunt, the thing yelped and ran away. I had to hold back the laughter and pride I felt in that moment.

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2021 3:04 PM

I don't get it either. My mother hoards these dogs. 3 rescue poodles and all of them are dumb as a brick. They don't listen, yap constantly, and seemingly can't be trained to not piss and shit in the house.

People go on and on about how smart poodles are, but last time I went to go visit, I brought my husky. We walked in and the 3 little furballs went nuts. My mom started yelling at them, they're barking at my dog, my mom, and each other, and I just remember my dog looking back at me like "Wtf are these idiots doing?"

by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2021 3:18 PM

Hate these tiny dogs & hate that most people who own them are under the impression that everyone else thinks these things are as adorable as they do. Absolutely no brain activity goes on in to their puny heads.

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2021 3:25 PM

I love all dogs but I find the larger ones can be problematic in the house. They tend to knock things over easily and without meaning to plus the size of the mess they leave behind is off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2021 3:32 PM

R44 You're an insecure, sad, fat cunt. Lick me where I shit.

by Anonymousreply 51February 20, 2021 3:33 PM

Fuck you op, they are the smartest sweetest dogs. Photo in your link was the first thing I saw when I opened Datalounge this morning, she reminds me of my beloved Cricket.

by Anonymousreply 52February 20, 2021 3:34 PM

What a real dog looks like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 20, 2021 3:44 PM

All shitboxes are ugly and gross. There I said it!

by Anonymousreply 54February 20, 2021 3:51 PM

I have a Bichon, she's cheerful and loyal and you can take her anywhere - she's not overly interested in others so will just walk to heel and if we eat out she'll happily sleep under my chair. She loves hiking and exploring, will even run after my bike for several miles in the woods. Also people will happily babysit a little, sweet dog overnight if I have to go away. I can't imagine anyone would have ever wanted to babysit my late German Shorthair - she was wonderful but not trustworthy with others.

Downsides - she took a long time to house train and ruined several doormats. She watches out the windows constantly and if so much as a leaf blows across the lawn she'll bark and growl with surprising depth and volume, thank goodness we have a detached home. The hair takes a lot of effort, normally she has a puppy cut but with covid restrictions the groomer has been closed for months and she now has a full coat with a top-knot (Mary!) I can't imagine having a big dog now.

by Anonymousreply 55February 20, 2021 4:50 PM

R51 I'm none of those things. But you sound like an ugly, insecure loser when you open retarded threads like this.

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2021 12:14 AM

1) They live up to five years longer than a large dog. 2) They can stay in terrific health up until 12-14 years old (which is the entire life expectancy of a bigger dog) 3) When they do decline in health, the small size makes it easier to assist them living life for several years (accidents in the house aren't as big of a deal, you can pick them up for steps, transport them easier) 4) much less shedding if they shed at all. 5) easier to deal with if you end up with a specifically difficult dog to train. Some are far less trainable (or aggressive) than others across all breeds. With a small dog, its manageable. Incidentally I know a few very difficult to train dogs. One is 20 lbs. Another is 120. Their behaviors are so similar and yet for one family, the imposition on life is far greater. 6) For those who dont get the appeal of smaller dogs, its often the result of less exposure as a child. They dart around quickly. Probably triggers anxiety or defense mechanism in the brain when you see an animal with sharp teeth springing towards you at lightning speed. Bigger dogs tend to be lumbering and slow.

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2021 12:35 AM

Big dogs are very expensive.

My 17 year old Shih-tzu died last fall. She was the second we lost this year, after our younger boy had to be euthanized due to kidney failure. She was nine pounds. I've told the long version of her story before, but anyway I adopted her at age 8 after fostering her when it was apparent everyone thought she was "too old." In her later years she developed heart failure which was easily but expensively managed with several medications. She also had a pricey daily arthritis prescription and was on Apoquel for allergies, plus artificial tears. Thanks to the medications she had a great quality of life. But her medications were $275 a month before I started having them filled by online pet pharmacies. Even after, it was around $150-$180. When I would order her prescriptions online though, I saw how much the same prescriptions would be if she were 20lbs, 50lbs, 80lbs++. Just exponentially more expensive. She was 9lbs and a few hundred a month, imagine if she were 90lbs. I'm middle class, I think, and I am not sure I'd be able to afford it if she had been even two sizes bigger.

A few months after we had her euthanized (not due to her heart condition--she seemingly lost the ability to swallow properly and it was time) I I started fostering for an all-breed, no-kill shelter. Everyone likes to foster smaller dogs, so that meant there was a real need for the big dogs. I'm a Shih-tzu person, but I'm a dog person first, so I took on the challenge and brought home a black lab. Man that dog was fast! I mean he could run like an Olympian and jump, and land like eight feet away. We loved him, had him a month and he was adopted. Next we had a Bluetick Coonhound, 100lbs+. I loved him so much. I initially decided to foster him because I didn't want to get as attached to him as I did the lab-- there was no way I was going to fall for some big old hillbilly hound. Oh my God. He became more beautiful and intelligent in my eyes every day. He was so funny. I miss the hell out of that one, more than the rest of them combined (and I love them all). Fast forward past a few crazy labby-type girls, now I have a Great Pyrenees who had never been inside a house before. I feel like someone who gets to test drive luxury cars. They're never really mine, but get to enjoy them, but I don't have to pay for their maintenance or extras which I don't think I'd be able to afford anyway.

The coonhound was older, and overweight. He needed an orthopedic bed, but for his weight it would cost a fortune. He slept on a trifold twin floor mattress that I intended to use for human guests. Chews, toys made for dogs that powerful, etc are very expensive compared to those of small dogs. I did spring for a leash that was made for dogs up to 130lbs, that was $40.

Big dogs are a whole different ballgame, financially.

My Shih-tzus didn't bark very much at all.

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2021 1:50 AM

Little foofy dogs are more tender.

Those big dogs need to be cooked a lot longer to make them any where near tender.

by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2021 8:33 AM

I always think this type of dogs are groomed to look like they are "deformed", I never find them cute, and a lot of times they look creepy to me.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2021 9:29 AM

Not foofy, not cute, can't walk right, one eye, but so adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2021 9:29 PM

They go well with caftans OP. And earrings.

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2021 5:41 AM

I had a bichon who was a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2021 6:10 AM

Oh, I read this as โ€œwhy do so many people love little FROGSโ€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote] "Foofy"? ๐‘…๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ฆ?

[bold]REALLY.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 65February 22, 2021 6:35 AM

Pugs rule. Multum in parvo. These fluffy rats must go.

by Anonymousreply 66February 22, 2021 6:41 AM

Small foofy dogs always remind me of something Cindy Brady would have. Not into little girls or little girls toys.

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2021 6:45 AM

I find little dogs really ugly too, but the people who love them are usually lonely, and want something baby-sized to cuddle and love that will return the adoration.

I understand that impulse, but what's always hard is that them people who love these dogs can look past the little dog's yappiness (and frequent aggression) while often not appreciating that other people cannot.

by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2021 6:52 AM

Smaller dogs are better suited for apartments.

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2021 6:57 AM

I love all dogs. But I will never own a big dog. I know they can be as sweet as pie but I like dogs that I can pick up easily. Thatโ€™s why I have a 20 pound little cutie pie! And sheโ€™s white but not very floofy.

I also like that that her BMโ€™s are a lot smaller than a big dogs!

by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2021 7:00 AM

One of the most charming dogs I ever knew was a tiny foofy little Pomeranian. Clever, elegant, well-mannered, so ridiculously ladylike that everyone joked that she was a reincarnation of a French countess. She didn't yap, mostly she said "wurf"in a quiet little indoor voice.

Some foofy little dogs are very good dogs.

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2021 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!