Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Real World Binge

I’m going on a Real World binge, which is available on CBS All Access. I just started the first episode of season one. It’s such a trip seeing how things were thirty years ago. The first season is the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 5, 2021 9:38 PM

Bummer they don’t offer all seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 11:56 AM

I’m almost done with season 1. It’s been a trip. I love Julie, Heather, Norm, and Becky.

And Eric was so beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2021 2:38 AM

The early seasons have such a different vibe than the way later ones.

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2021 2:50 AM

R3 Totally. They’re less... what’s the word... produced? The later seasons seem synthetic.

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2021 2:52 AM

R4, I think the vibe changed right around the Vegas season. Other reality shows gained huge popularity (Survivor, Big Brother) right around that time, so I think the producers felt compelled to add more drama and sex, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2021 2:55 AM

R5 And overdone lighting, too. The early seasons are definitely grittier.

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2021 2:57 AM

R6, I remember the actual houses and condos the cast stayed in became way ritzier, with pools and hot tubs. Although I guess with more popularity, the show had a bigger budget.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2021 3:03 AM

R7 True. I think the last season I was really invested in was either Boston or Seattle- whichever was last.

My biggest crush was on Danny from the Boston season. He was so beautiful. He ended up contracting HIV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2021 3:10 AM

Wasn’t Danny NOLA cast?

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2021 11:24 AM

R9 Yes! Totally forgot that.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2021 2:18 PM

Looking at the wikipedia page, I realize now that I lost track of the Real World seasons after the San Diego season (14th season) way back in 2004. Had no idea they had a Portland season.

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2021 2:26 PM

Started season 2. I forget that the first episode is a few of them on the road. It’s sort of a precursor to Road Rules.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2021 2:43 PM

r11 I really enjoyed RW until Las Vegas, then dabbled in it until San Diego when I was done with it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2021 2:50 PM

This was a great series, they should bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2021 3:06 PM

Have they stripped the old episodes of the music and replaced it with Muzak as they did with “Daria?”

The music gave the show so much of its flavor.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2021 3:19 PM

If there’s one thing the world agrees upon its that the Vegas season is when it went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2021 3:23 PM

I still enjoy The Challenge - formerly Road Rules/Real World Challenge. Recently, I discovered the PlutoTV app and they have a streaming channel that plays the Challenge (seasons 16 - 30) on a 24/7 loop. Looking back at the old episodes, the current version is kind of a mess. I’ve really been enjoying the older episodes though, especially because many of the guys are at the peak of their hotness.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2021 3:25 PM

R15 I thought I heard the original music while watching. However, If they did replace it, you don’t really notice. It’s definitely noticeable with Daria though.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote]The early seasons have such a different vibe than the way later ones.

The first season really was just people living their lives, but MTV began tweaking it as they realized they had to create storylines and drama. I think Kevin was the reason they instituted the rule that the participants had to actually stay in the house at night because Kevin was staying away, hence the ruse where everyone switched personalities on him. Then later seasons people had to get jobs. MTV was learning as they went along.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote] The first season really was just people living their lives, but MTV began tweaking it as they realized they had to create storylines and drama. I think Kevin was the reason they instituted the rule that the participants had to actually stay in the house at night because Kevin was staying away, hence the ruse where everyone switched personalities on him. Then later seasons people had to get jobs. MTV was learning as they went along.

In the first season, all the housemates were working and doing their own thing in NYC, so, like in the real world, their lives were richer, less artificial.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 3:46 PM

Which seasons are available on CBS All Access?

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2021 3:48 PM

The first season cast only lived together for three months; season two is when they extended it to six months. I found this out after watching the first episode of season two a few hours ago.

R21 I think seasons 1-6 and then it jumps to season 14. I’m not sure what seasons after 14 are available.

It’s been great seeing how different things were back then. I was barely a teen.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2021 3:53 PM

It was much better when they had less artificial drama.

I never got the Danny from NOLA love--I think it had more to do with the fact that he was out and sexually active (he was fucking a marine, a fantasy of so many gay men) rather than that he was drop-dead handsome (he was actually short) or had such a stunning personality or anything).

I always thought Dan from Miami was much hotter, although he had such an annoying personality back then. He grew up to be a really admirable person though--he flew out to NYC during the early days of COVID to help with his nurse's training, and worked like a Spartan.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2021 3:58 PM

I thought Jamie, Danny's New Orleans housemate, was the most handsome RWer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote] I never got the Danny from NOLA love

R23 For me it was the fact that he was so beautiful. I mean, objectively speaking, he was just both a pretty and handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2021 4:10 PM

Jamie now. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 24, 2021 4:16 PM

R25 Jamie was a bitty and it can be said, per the pic at R26, is still a hottie. He has a very handsome face that even extra weight doesn’t really detract from.

by Anonymousreply 27February 24, 2021 4:24 PM

To each his own, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28February 24, 2021 4:26 PM

I don’t know when or how it happened, but I have Jamie’s number for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 29February 24, 2021 4:36 PM

My favorite was David from Seattle...he was so passionate and his accent turned me on. I just Googled him and found this interview from a couple years ago. He says he would sneak off to LA during the filming to see Kira! I also didn't realize (or forgot) how intense the fan base for the show was back then. I'll never understand how MTV devolved into complete shit but still keeps chugging along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 24, 2021 4:37 PM

R30 You just reminded me of David! He was hot, with his Rocky Balboa demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 31February 24, 2021 4:40 PM

A more recent pic of David.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 24, 2021 4:43 PM

R32 Aw, still handsome.

by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2021 4:44 PM

I really want to binge on those earlier seasons. London was underrated, IMO. That season always got flack because there wasn't enough "drama", but I didn't really care. The guys were cute, they mostly had enough to do on their own, they were classic early 90s "cool" kids. Not fighting or stressing, just "vibing". I'd sit around on thr couch with Jay, Jacinda & Neil any day.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2021 4:50 PM

“Kira, baby, I love you, you don’t even [bold]KNOW[/bold]!!!”

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2021 4:55 PM

David from the Seattle season! Swoon. That Kira/David arc was top-notch drama, much better than the Steven/Irene stuff.

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2021 4:58 PM

R34 London was my favorite season too. Neil and Lars were smoking hot. Wonder what they look like today.

by Anonymousreply 37February 24, 2021 5:16 PM

I live in constant hope that this thread is really called Real World Bulge.

by Anonymousreply 38February 24, 2021 5:18 PM

R34, was London Jay the "straight" playwright?

by Anonymousreply 39February 24, 2021 5:23 PM

R39 😂

I liked the Seattle season and am hoping it’s one of the earlier ones available on CBS; I haven’t checked yet. I’m still making my way through season two.

by Anonymousreply 40February 24, 2021 6:26 PM

R40 last time I checked CBS All Access: Boston, Miami, Seattle & Hawaii were not on the roster, London was.

by Anonymousreply 41February 24, 2021 8:09 PM

One of the girls from NOLA ended up married to Scott Wolf (“BAILEEEEY” from PARTY OF FIVE). I think it may have been Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 42February 24, 2021 8:22 PM

Does CBS have BACK TO NEW YORK? That’s the only one I ever saw, and I remember enjoying it too.

We didn’t get all the series in the U.K., and I don’t think we got any as they were airing. Or if we did, it was on the expensive satellite channels that my poor hick family did not have.

by Anonymousreply 43February 24, 2021 8:23 PM

R15 They played some Sade and Seal’s Crazy, so they’re using the original music.

by Anonymousreply 44February 24, 2021 10:35 PM

And now they just played Kate Bush’s Don’t Give Up and Prince’s Purple Rain.

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2021 10:59 PM

"Also, I think Becky — unsurprisingly — may be the Trumper among them. Ugh."

That would surprise me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 27, 2021 6:32 PM

Becky was a liberal!

by Anonymousreply 47February 27, 2021 6:44 PM

Does anyone remember Alton from Las Vegas? He was beautiful. Ripped and lean. I would argue he and Eric Nies were the two hottest cast members of all time.

by Anonymousreply 48February 27, 2021 6:45 PM

Per his roommates, Alton was also blessed.

by Anonymousreply 49February 27, 2021 6:47 PM

The Real World Homecoming: New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 27, 2021 6:51 PM

Julie looks fabulous, she's hardly aged at all.

by Anonymousreply 51February 27, 2021 7:18 PM

Ryan. From Back To New Orleans season I believe 2011. Is the most cringe cast member of all time. I use to know someone that acted exactly like him. Holy shit. Both were delusional. I hate both.

by Anonymousreply 52February 27, 2021 7:31 PM

So Eric Nies is NOT on the reunion.....? that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 53February 27, 2021 7:41 PM

No, he's part of it.

by Anonymousreply 54February 27, 2021 7:43 PM

Eric is at the 1:36 mark in the reunion trailer.

by Anonymousreply 55February 27, 2021 7:46 PM

Does Eric still have his huge penis?

by Anonymousreply 56February 27, 2021 7:54 PM

Phony, fake-ass World without some Eric Nies.

by Anonymousreply 57February 27, 2021 8:19 PM

R47, didn't Becky have some huge, knock-down argument with Kevin over how great America was? I can see her becoming some jaded 'love it or leave it' type with some decades on her.

by Anonymousreply 58February 27, 2021 10:15 PM

[quote] No, he's part of it.

See R46's link, R54.

by Anonymousreply 59February 27, 2021 11:29 PM

London was an absolute bore fest, not to mention, no cute guys, which is a must for a successful season.

by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2021 1:08 AM

R60 - you didn't even like Neil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2021 1:10 AM

The guys are all fat asses now! Kevin and Norm are huge!

by Anonymousreply 62March 1, 2021 7:45 PM

Neil was a pretentious douche.

by Anonymousreply 63March 1, 2021 7:45 PM

R52 Ryan Knight from the second New Orleans season died a few years ago - OD. I was never a fan.

I rewatched the second The Challenge - Battle of the Seasons last week and Alton from Las Vegas looked like he lost a lot of body mass. He looked like he’d been sick. That was shot back in 2012, so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 64March 1, 2021 7:55 PM

Why do people not like that Ryan guy from NOLA? I never watched that season, so I have no clue what his personality was like.

by Anonymousreply 65March 1, 2021 7:57 PM

Watch it. He’s classic narcissist brat douche bag. So much cringe , they told him to leave. Why he was so fascinating is that he thought he was never wrong for anything , I knew someone that acted EXACTLY like him. I could not look away because it was so textbook

by Anonymousreply 66March 1, 2021 11:52 PM

So, I discovered the entire season of Real World: New Orleans on YouTube and am halfway through it. I think they also have other full seasons on YouTube too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2021 3:15 AM

The first ep. of the reunion was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 5, 2021 9:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!