Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN Changes for 2021

I can't link to the CNN announcement because DL hates CNN, but when the network announced it would be shaking up its programming last month, it stated this:

"The new assignments all point in a hard news direction as CNN transitions from the Trump years to the Biden years."

Besides the on-air news readers and pundits, have you noticed a change to hard news?

I have noticed a lot less pundit chatter, but also a hell of a lot of sports and weather talk that I don't think we have seen on CNN for years.

Can someone tell me why sports is a component of hard news? Please?

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 7:38 PM

Today, CNN announced changes to its weekday morning and dayside lineup, with new assignments for Victor Blackwell, Ana Cabrera, Alisyn Camerota and Brianna Keilar. In addition, the network announced new roles for Jim Acosta and Boris Sanchez on weekends. These changes will be effective in April.

Laura Jarrett and Christine Romans will continue to anchor Early Start from 5-6 am.

John Berman and Brianna Keilar will anchor New Day from 6-9 am, weekdays. Keilar most recently anchored CNN Right Now from 1-3pm weekdays. Prior to that, she was CNN’s White House correspondent during the Obama Administration. Berman has been co-anchor of New Day for the last two and a half years.

Poppy Harlow and Jim Sciutto will continue to anchor CNN Newsroom from 9-11 am.

Kate Bolduan will continue to anchor At this Hour from 11am-noon.

John King will continue to anchor Inside Politics with John King weekdays from noon-1pm. The network’s chief national correspondent, he will also continue to have a key role in all political coverage.

Ana Cabrera, who has anchored CNN’s weekend newscasts for the last four years, will now anchor CNN Newsroom weekdays from 1-2 pm.

Alisyn Camerota and Victor Blackwell will now anchor CNN’s afternoon Newsroom coverage from 2-4 pm. Camerota has anchored CNN’s morning program, New Day, for the last six years, the longest tenure of any weekday morning show anchor in recent CNN history, and, along with Berman, has led CNN to its largest audiences ever in the morning. Blackwell has anchored CNN’s Weekend New Day for the last nine years.

With the move of Cabrera and Blackwell to CNN’s weekday lineup, CNN also finalized its new weekend lineup:

Boris Sanchez will join Christi Paul as co-anchor of Weekend New Day on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Sanchez previously served as a CNN White House correspondent.

Fredricka Whitfield will continue to anchor CNN Newsroom’s midday coverage on Saturdays and Sundays.

Jim Acosta will anchor CNN Newsroom on Saturdays and Sundays from 3-6pm. As previously announced, Acosta has also been named the network’s chief domestic correspondent. Prior to this new role, he covered the White House for CNN for the past seven years, having served as Chief White House Correspondent since 2018.

As previously announced, Pamela Brown now anchors CNN Newsroom on Saturdays and Sundays from 6-9pm. She also serves as Senior Washington correspondent for CNN.

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Today is Alisyn Camerota's last day at the 6AM slot and they are doing a huge tribute to her like she is retiring instead of just moving to the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2021 12:55 PM

There are so many fucking commercial breaks on CNN that I can't watch it anymore. Is it my imagination, or has it gotten worse over the past year or so?

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2021 2:02 PM

They gotta pay those anchors somehow.

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2021 2:09 PM

That's what happens when your show for last 4 years had nothing going on besides bashing Trump. You have nothing going on after Trump. CNN and MSNBC will have to either restructure or sell eventually. Even leftists get tired when you are spreading propaganda 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2021 2:16 PM

I will be sad to see Brianna Keilar move to the early morning slot. I really enjoy her but won't be up and watching her prior to 9:00. I like Stephanie Ruhle and Hallie Jackson from 8:00 - 10:00 (CDT) on MSNBC. I liked being able to switch over to CNN until Deadline Whitehouse comes on later in the afternoon. I can't take watching Andrea Mitchell stammer around for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote] That's what happens when your show for last 4 years had nothing going on besides bashing Trump.

Then I bet you were just beside yourself while Fox News bashed Pres Obama for eight years. Eh?

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 2:37 PM

I really like Ana Cabrera. Gorgeous woman and I like her delivery. Looking forward to seeing her during the week. I’d usually have CNN on while I worked out during the weekends, but won’t be able to since I can’t stand Jim Acosta. I don’t find MSNBC’s weekend anchors appealing.

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2021 2:56 PM

You mean the George Floyd 24/7 network? Put a statue in front of CNN.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2021 3:11 PM

CNN doesn't exactly have the best financial management skills. They waste millions of dollars on contracts for clowns like Chris Cillizza who has useless opinions that get dunked on regularly. They aren't going to last long in the post Trump era. The "news" business will soon be facing a major crisis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2021 3:34 PM

I really like Christi Paul with Victor Blackwell. Is it a demotion for her going from weekdays to weekends?

by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2021 4:00 PM

MSNBC has got to get rid of Alicia Menendez and Joshua Johnson on the weekends. They are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2021 4:03 PM

I don’t know, Anna Cabrera seems like an intern they decided to use when no one showed up for work.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote] They aren't going to last long in the post Trump era.

CNN is owned by AT&T through WarnerMedia, they will last as long as AT&T wants to own them and then they will sell it for billion and billions of dollars. Anyone who thinks CNN is going away is just plain stupid. There are countless media organizations that would love to own CNN and would pay huge bucks to be able to do so, including Jeff Bezos.

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2021 7:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!