Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm not very fascinated by the Titanic, personally.

I just started watching a 1958 film about it. I know what's going to happen. Everyone all jolly and excited before they set sail. It's too awful.

I don't know why so many people are so interested in it. Spending big money to get artefacts etc...

How interested are YOU?

Is it a morbid curiosity do you think?

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2021 3:06 PM

The Third Reich "Titanic" (1943) is the most interesting of them all. Goebbels had the director killed while it was still being completed.

On Kino Lorber DVD.

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2021 6:24 PM

More people died in the sinking of the Nazi refugee ship, “Wilhelm Gustloff,” in 1945, when it was torpedoed by a Russian submarine in the North Sea.

More than 10,000 people died.

That’s well more than 6 times the “Titanic’s” deaths.

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2021 6:52 PM

I've always been a Titanic buff. The sinking of that ship was a transitional moment in history -the end of one age and the beginning of another. All aspects and elements of society (not just Society) were present, and the event gives great insight into the attitudes and mores of the time. On the page linked below, scroll down and take a look at the mortality dashboard. Very eye-opening to discover that you had the worst chance of survival as a second class man (8%). Why is that? Those were teachers, doctors, lawyers, owners of small and medium-sized businesses. They clearly played by the rules more than first class men (33% survival rate) or even male crew members (22%).

The more you research the events, the more anomalies, what-ifs, and amazing stories you discover. It's the maritime equivalent of Hamlet -everything, all of human experience, is there. Very little of that is ever captured on film. Hollywood prefers its drama in the form of love stories, not facts. I heartily recommend Wyn Craig Wade's book Titanic: End of a Dream for a look at the aftermath of the disaster and its impact on the world at that time, and since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2021 6:53 PM

I like to think some day they will make a movie called "Trump" in which a group of people merrily sets sail on journey of hubris, lies & deceit, only to one day have the ship hit a (proverbial) ice berg and everyone on the ship dies screaming. And everyone will shake their heads & marvel at why all these people climbed aboard this clearly doomed vessel.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2021 6:54 PM

Even in a threat about Titanic, you’re obsessed with him.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2021 7:06 PM

You're right, OP. It was totally overrated.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2021 7:11 PM

I get your point, R5, but R4 isn't so far off the mark, really. The Trumps and their ilk are not far removed from the hubris and excess of the Edwardian Gilded Age. They see themselves as inherently more valuable and worthy than those of us living second and third-class lives. We are expendable fodder to them. Exactly the thinking that led to locked gates keeping third-class passengers below decks while lifeboats were loaded. What's scarier is that if you had asked them, most of those poor people would have deferred, saying "Of course the lifeboats are for first class."

Wealth is just as worshipped today as it was in 1912. And the 1% feels just as entitled as ever.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2021 7:12 PM

[quote] The Trumps and their ilk are not far removed from the hubris and excess of the Edwardian Gilded Age.

That was my point; I actually think the Titanic story is a very interesting, but also a very old one in that there were several warning flags about potential problems with the ship & the Titanic crew was warned about the icebergs, but were so certain of the ship's infallibility, they ignored them. Basic precautions like making sure there were sufficient lifeboats on the ship & everyone knew how to reach them were ignored.

So because of hubris, arrogance & a sense of invincibility, people needlessly died. Whatever you think of Trump, I do think some day people will look back on his time in office in much the same way with fascination as to how people could ignore obvious warnings about the clearly apparent danger all in service to a complete charlatan.

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2021 7:19 PM

In addition to the sociological aspects that R3 mentions, I also find the engineering accomplishments and failures interesting. The Titanic was an very advanced in terms engineering and had state of the art (for its time) wireless radio technology, but that’s mostly forgotten today in favor of images of wealthy passengers, early 20th century luxury and the fictional tragedy of Jack & Rose.

That engineering, while advanced, didn’t have a proven track record. This paper has a good breakdown of the failure of the hull. Although, I think the title is misleading. The Titanic sank relatively slow compared to other maritime disasters of the time, not rapidly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2021 7:36 PM

Well, I can tell you that my cat is way more interesting than this Titanic thingy, even as she licks her own butthole.

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2021 7:45 PM

Here on Datalounge, R10, there is very little that is more interesting than licking buttholes.

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2021 7:58 PM

The 1953 version is my favorite. Mainly because of the witty dialogue between the married couple.

by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2021 8:04 PM
by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2021 11:09 PM

Completely overlooked are the 2nd class passengers. Middle class sprocket salesman from Coventry going to NY to then catching a train to Cleveland. Nobody ever mentions them

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2021 11:22 PM

Weren't the poor the last to get on the life boats?

by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote]Tourists can visit the Titanic shipwreck in 2021

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2021 11:35 PM

I'll admit to being a Titanic nut. I was obsessed with it as a little kid and even now as an adult, every few years I'll go thru an obsessive phase and dig out the deck plans and pore over them. There's a video game in the works, "Titanic: Honor & Glory" where the developers are going to ludicrous levels of scrutiny in recreating the entire ship down to the tiniest detail. There's going to be some superficial plot, but the real point of the game will be for nerds like me to just wander the boat and go, "Oh, THAT'S what an ash ejector system looked like!"

For me at least, I've always been fascinated by situations of isolation. As a little kid, the juxtaposition of the world's more luxurious liner with an icy, watery death was kind of haunting. As well as idea that everyone on board, from the millionaires to the boot shiners all faced the same fate alone together. And after that absorbs you, you start wondering: what was this capsule like, that everyone spent their last days on? And how poorly their final luxuries measure up to modern standards. And then finally you take it to unhealthy levels where you're researching whether the first class dining saloon had carpeting or linoleum (spoiler: linoleum).

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2021 3:14 AM

I'm another Titanic obsessive. As a child I read A Night to Remember. I still have the book and you can see how I checked off in pencil all the women and children that died in 3d class and steerage and tje high mumber of men who survivied in 1st class.

Even as a child I could spot injustice.

This was one of my 3 childhood obsessions that pretty much lasted into adulthood. You know back in the dinosaur days having an obsession took some work. Not just googling. You actually had to go to a library and other places.

by Anonymousreply 18February 16, 2021 6:52 AM

When the 1997 version of Titanic was released there was a slew of books on the Titanic published. I remember somebody came back to the office after lunch with a book and everybody raced out of the office across the road to buy the same book.

Lots of interest back then because of the film but I think since then there is little interest.

by Anonymousreply 19February 16, 2021 6:59 AM

Why should any man give his life in favour of a woman that is not his spouse or family? I never understood or accepted the bullshit "woman first" code. Fucking right I'd push a frau overboard for a seat on a lifeboat.

by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2021 7:19 AM

R20 I agree. Though I would like to think that now it would be youngest first. However, the reality is is that it would be richest first.

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2021 7:21 AM

[quote][R20] I agree. Though I would like to think that now it would be youngest first.

NO! Minority groups. BAME.

Maybe we could use that ticket as homosexuals. I'd make sure of it.

by Anonymousreply 22February 16, 2021 7:45 AM

[quote]”Oh, THAT'S what an ash ejector system looked like!"

I wonder if bottoms could use something like this.

by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2021 2:03 PM

Interesting that the only black passenger onboard wasn’t acknowledged until after the wreck was discovered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2021 7:01 PM

I met a Titanic survivor fifty years after the sinking. Her husband went down with the ship. I "interviewed" her for a school project when I was in the fifth grade.

So yeah, I was and am fascinated, personally.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2021 7:13 PM

I'm sitting here 700 miles from the wreck. Looking out my window at the Atlantic Ocean, if I could see far enough over the horizon I could actually see where it went down. Many of the bodies were brought here to Halifax, and buried, especially in Fairview Cemetery. We also have an assortment of Titanic artifacts in the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2021 7:31 PM

[quote]I'm not very fascinated by the Titanic, personally.

It's not The Titanic, just Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote]It's not The Titanic, just Titanic.

I'm going to hang onto the the - if you don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2021 8:32 PM

R2, Titanic was ballyhooed; your ship wasn't. Plus, the whole manifold SNAFU aspect. The wealthy and famous dead.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2021 8:46 PM

P.S. "Titanic" does not take the article "the."

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote][R20]I agree. Though I would like to think that now it would be youngest first.

Black trannies first!

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2021 9:20 PM

R1 you watch for free on YouTube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2021 9:22 PM

Well, it was sad. Yes it was sad. It was sad when the great ship went down. Husbands and wives, little bitty children lost their lives.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote]the first class dining saloon had carpeting or linoleum (spoiler: linoleum).

Rich people puke too, why would they have carpet in a ship's dining room?

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2021 9:30 PM

I’m not fascinated by it either. There’s nothing compelling about the story.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2021 9:47 PM

[quote] I like to think some day they will make a movie called "Trump" in which a group of people merrily sets sail on journey of hubris, lies & deceit, only to one day have the ship hit a (proverbial) ice berg

You don’t even have to get all proverbial on it — there were multiple instances of those Trump flotillas turning into mini-titanics, with ships sinking. Is that any surprise, really?

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2021 10:00 PM

There is no romance to the Gustloff. 10,000 Nazis, east Europeans, Russians. No first class 10 course dinners. Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2021 10:14 PM

R35 you aren’t fascinated by a tragic event that changed things in the maritime industry ? You aren’t fascinated by the back stories of those who survived and those who perished? You aren’t fascinated by the Olympic Class vessels? You sound boring to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote]You aren’t fascinated by the back stories of those who survived and those who perished?

Not really. i don't get off on people's tragedies.

[quote]You aren’t fascinated by the Olympic Class vessels?

No.

[quote] You sound boring to be honest.

One thing I can be extremely confident about is that I'm not boring. You on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2021 11:11 PM

If Titanic was full of DLers, who would have been locked behind the cages, who would have been on the lifeboats first? So many questions.

Btw- Titanic fascinates me.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2021 11:31 PM

OP I noticed how you didn’t answer my first question.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2021 3:22 AM

[quote]If Titanic was full of DLers, who would have been locked behind the cages,

Those that make mama's mussy moist.

Who would have been on the lifeboats first?

Not the fat ones.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2021 3:54 AM

R39, You sound defiantly pretentious, akin to those sorts who smugly state that they haven't watched TV since the Carter Administration.

The tale of "Titanic" is one of hubris, of Man's achievements vs. Nature's indifference, and so demands our attention (much like that of the "Challenger"), for hubris is humanity's Original Sin. Indeed, the gods were challenged from the very naming of the ship.

It is a Memento Mori, as the excessively wealthy perished with the desperately poor, neither taking anything with them.

Nevertheless, we find ourselves envious of the expression of wealth, of the no-expense-spared interior design and decor, as we ignore the conditions of the hold, just as the rich did.

The demise of "Titanic" is a tragedy of epic but also human-scaled proportions, of pride, hope, arrogance, complacency, fear, heroism, cowardice, nobility, love.

Ultimately, and quite unlike many past events, this moment in history compels us to ask of ourselves: "How would I have behaved?"

It is the struggle within one's soul to find the honest answer that comprises our true fascination with "Titanic."

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2021 9:21 AM

[quote][R39], You sound defiantly pretentious

No I don't but you do, as is VERY CLEARLY evident from your post.

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2021 9:24 AM

R44, I readily admit to not being humble.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2021 9:32 AM

But if OP isn't fascinated by "the" [italic]Titanic[/italic], why post about it? You must find some fascination with it or else would wouldn't have posted such a troll-esque thread. I don't post in threads if they aren't about something I know about/are interested in. I think most people are like that, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2021 2:45 PM

Why did someone ask why other people like golf, R46? Someone asked that a week or so ago, and there was a good discussion of something few of us like. Sometimes people are just curious.

And I agree that the story of the Titannic is memorable as the neatest example of the perils of Hubris in the 20th century, and that's something the world always needs to be reminded of. But even though I'm so prone to obsessive interests that I take birding vacations, that's one wormhole I've never wanted to dive into. But it's interesting to hear about why others like it.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2021 3:53 PM

R43 here. And I'm going to posit one other reason for people's interest.

In its better expression, it is "There but for the grace of God, go I."

But more realistically, it is "Those people don’t know what's in store for them. But WE know it's death, and we're enthralled!"

The frisson of imminent death---of others.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote] I’m not fascinated by it either. There’s nothing compelling about the story.

You probably think "The Real Housewives" are riveting.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2021 10:39 PM

R6 You can be blasé about some things, Rose, but not about Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2021 3:02 AM

And now we have ships five times her size that can potentially carry twice her complement.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2021 4:10 PM

I go through cycles every few years with Titanic, where I'm intensely interested in finding out everything I can about it, reading obscure bios of obscure people on board, watching real-time sinkings of the ship and the Movie, etc, etc. And then there are long periods where it doesn't even cross my mind (and I forget some of what I learned during the last cycle). I actually had a Titanic binge earlier this year and am currently in a latent phase, but the anniversary is coming up and I already know I'm going to watch the Titanic: Honor & Glory livestream because there are some questions I want to ask those experts.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2021 4:30 PM

As I child and young adult I was fascinated with Titanic. Books, movies, you name it. Then I saw Cameron's and I lost complete interest. It's like it just flushed it from my system-don't know why (although I thought the movie sucked).

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2021 4:44 PM

And had she survived, [italic]Titanic[/italic] would have been the world’s largest ship for only one year; then the Germans launched their Imperator-class liners. The first ships to exceed 900 feet in length and 50,000 GRT. Everything would have turned out quite different.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2021 4:48 PM

I'm still pissed that old lady threw the diamond in the water, what the hell was she thinking?

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2021 4:57 PM

Tell us what else doesn't interest you, OP. PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2021 5:00 PM

YOU, r56...and spastic posts like yours.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2021 5:16 PM

The glamour, the shameless “apartheid” separating the classes, the grandeur of the world’s “fastest and largest cruise liner”, the fact that it sank on its maiden voyage...

Still fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2021 5:18 PM

Giving the choice of drowning or eating Barbara Stanwyck's pussy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2021 5:35 PM

I was fascinated by it as a kid because the wreck hadn't yet been found, then was fascinated once it had been. The mismanagement and unnecessary deaths made a compelling story. As an adult (and after the last few years especially) it doesn't seem so strange and unique anymore, it seems like just another few thousands deaths because of incompetence and greed.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2021 5:40 PM

Titanic was NOT a cruise ship or a cruise liner. She was an ocean liner. Big difference r58.

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2021 6:13 PM

I'm surprised they haven't made a modern-day movie about one of these newer "floating cities" sinking. We could all use a 2021 Poseidon-like action flick. I'm sure the cruise industry wouldn't want it but I'd love to see, say, an unsuspecting kid going down one of those water slides at the moment of impact, only to end up landing in the ocean and chewed up by a great white shark.

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2021 7:44 PM

"personally" ... as opposed to professionally?

Same with R25

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2021 7:52 PM

[quote] Even as a child I could spot injustice.

R18 Have you put that skill to use in your life?

by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2021 9:30 PM

I think I have sufficient knowledge of the ship, the event, the aftermath, the music list, the interior design details (middling), some of the dishes listed on the shop's menus, the marine archaeology prospects, and could prattle off a fair number of survivors/victims. I knew all this by the time I was 12 or so, and my curiosity hang increased since.

It's a compelling story but not so much in it's retelling and retelling again.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2021 9:57 PM

R5 'Apartheid' is an ugly word for a normal human character trait.

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2021 10:12 PM

as a young teenager not only was I interested in the Titanic but the Andrea Doria, the Lusitania and any other sinkings I could find. I am terrified of water and decided I must have been on a ship that sunk and I drowned in a past life.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2021 10:17 PM

It’s only morbid if you want to look at the dead people washed ashore.

by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2021 10:18 PM

White nationalist @ R66. Jack Donovan, maybe?

Only on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2021 10:50 PM

My grandmother was on the Andrea Doria's sister ship, the Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2021 10:56 PM

I love my fanny

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2021 11:39 PM

R58 If you go seeking shameful things, you will find them. If you go seeking shameless things, you will find them.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2021 11:46 PM

[quote]My grandmother was on the Andrea Doria's sister ship, the Pia Zadora.

Their was also the Doria Exploria.

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2021 4:12 AM

Totally obsessed in childhood. I have no idea why, but I was really into ghost stories and the Bermuda Triangle and stuff so I think it ticked those same boxes. It still gives me the eerie Jeebies even now. Youtube has a bunch of real-time re-enactments. I watched one on the anniversary night once, while reading accounts, just to give myself the spooks I guess. Definitely morbid curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2021 4:35 AM

When I was 16 in 1996, I spent 9 months in a psychiatric ward. One of the other teenagers there was obsessed with the Titanic. He could quote facts/figures and also made a detailed drawing of the inside of the Titanic using one of those large paper rolls. I've often wondered what his opinion of James Cameron's film was, which was released a year later. I don't think he would have cared much for the fictional love story. He was only interested in the mechanics/history of Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2021 5:09 AM

Did they ever find any of Mrs. Charlotte Wardle Cardeza's luggage? And what about the jeweled copy of the Omar Khayyam’s Rubaiyyat?

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2021 5:35 AM

[quote]Their was

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2021 2:40 PM

Folks will fetishize anything.

by Anonymousreply 78April 7, 2021 4:58 PM

Watching SOS Titanic on Kanopy. A beautiful screenplay tempered by sloppy sets and cheapo special effects. David Warner plays a role in this as a second class passenger. He was Lovejoy in James Cameron's [italic]Titanic[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 79April 8, 2021 1:16 AM

It's a handsome vessel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 8, 2021 3:13 AM

Did anyone watch the 1996 miniseries starring a then unknown Catherine Zeta-Jones, Peter Gallagher, and DL fave Mike Doyle looking very lovely. It even had a rape scene (of course) courtesy of Tim Curry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 8, 2021 5:59 AM

I liked the 1979 TV version of SOS Titanic even though some of the effects were crude. First, it was the first film version in color and second I loved Cloris Leachman as Molly Brown. The original was three hours but the European version was different and subsequent home video versions were different from that, all due to different cuts that were made.

Meanwhile. someone above mentioned that she was the largest and fastest liner in the world. Only partially true although a common misconception. She and her sister ship Olympic were designed to be the largest and most luxurious ships afloat but not the fastest. At the time it would have been too expensive. They were fast ships but not in a league with the Cunard sisters Mauritania and Lusitania for speed. Thus, contrary to popular legend, she was not trying to set a speed record and in fact was running below her own projected top speed at the time of the collision. She was, by design, incapable of setting a speed record.

by Anonymousreply 82April 8, 2021 7:28 AM

Another classic film with a Titanic-like plot is [italic]History is Made at Night[/italic] with Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur. It has some camp elements in it that could appeal to some DLers...

by Anonymousreply 83April 8, 2021 2:44 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 8, 2021 2:46 PM

^ Jean is strangling Charles.

For years I've wondered how to pronounce 'Frank Borzage'. I had assumed it was 'Bor-zarj' but I heard someone say 'Bor-zargie'.

by Anonymousreply 85April 8, 2021 8:57 PM

^^^Yes, Frank's family hailed from Trieste, when it was part of Austria-Hungary...he was Italian and some other ethnicities. And not bad looking. Could have been an actor himself.

by Anonymousreply 86April 8, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote] not bad looking

He has an extraordinary cleft chin. And I note he hired Dane Clark (who looks like his twin)

by Anonymousreply 87April 9, 2021 1:40 AM

R82 thank you for your additions - I had no idea. Learnt something new.

by Anonymousreply 88April 9, 2021 7:37 AM

Titanic movies are like pizzas. It's hard to make a bad one.

by Anonymousreply 89April 9, 2021 8:09 AM

There was a third sister ship: Britannic.

She was sunk, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 9, 2021 8:19 AM

There’s a cheaply made movie about the [italic]Britannic[/italic] on YouTube. The man who portrayed the German spy masquerading as a priest is cute and Jacqueline Bisset has a role in it as well.

by Anonymousreply 91April 9, 2021 2:44 PM

There is a fascinating National Geographic special about Britannic from back in the '80s or '90s. It was released on home video but I have no idea what its current availability is.

There are early White Star promotional materials calling her Gigantic but when she was formally announced her name had been changed to Britannic. The legend is her name was changed after the Titanic disaster so as not to sound too pompous or tempt fate.

by Anonymousreply 92April 9, 2021 10:52 PM

Did you know that there was a passenger cargo vessel called LESBIAN?

The crew were cunning linguists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 9, 2021 11:04 PM

As you might have gleaned from the posts above, The White Star Line traditionally named their ships ending in "ic" (Olympic, Homeric, Teutonic, Oceanic) while Cunard traditionally named their ships ending in "ia" (Lusitania, Aquitania, Carpathia, Carmania), with only a handful of exceptions.

This tradition probably helped establish this apocryphal story, which is doubted by most maritime historians but is still repeated:

Cunard decided to build the largest and grandest ship afloat and name her Queen Victoria. Cunard's directors sought an audience with King George V (the current Queen's grandfather) to seek Royal approval. After presenting him with designs, blueprints and paintings, they requested to name her after England's most illustrious Queen. Before they could say another word, the King interrupted with "My wife will be delighted." Thus RMS Queen Mary got her name.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, both White Star and Cunard were suffering tremendously and each petitioned the Government for financial subsidies. The Government agreed on the condition that the two lines merge. They became Cunard-White Star but eventually the White Star part was dropped.

by Anonymousreply 94April 11, 2021 10:03 AM

^ Cunard is now a subsidiary of Carnival. The Cunard flagship Queen Mary 2 is now the only ship considered a true ocean liner, built to cross the North Atlantic in all weather, as opposed to a cruise ship.

by Anonymousreply 95April 11, 2021 10:26 AM

R95 what's the difference?

by Anonymousreply 96April 11, 2021 10:29 AM

You don't want to be on a ship designed to cruise the Caribbean during a heavy winter storm in the North Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 97April 11, 2021 10:39 AM

OP comes off as deeply retarded.

by Anonymousreply 98April 11, 2021 10:41 AM

A liner, as opposed to a cruise ship, will have stronger steel plates...noticeably thicker. Also, I think, a longer bow that can cut through rough water. And a deeper draft, so she sits deeper in the water, making her more stable. I’m sure that I have forgotten something...

by Anonymousreply 99April 11, 2021 12:06 PM

What about those cruise ships that go all the way from Mexico to Alaska and vice-versa?

by Anonymousreply 100April 11, 2021 12:14 PM

Cruise ships also sail closer to land, where the seas aren’t as rough. The only time that they are in deep water is during repositioning voyages...

by Anonymousreply 101April 11, 2021 12:16 PM

True or not, r94, I thoroughly enjoyed that tale.

by Anonymousreply 102April 11, 2021 12:20 PM

The White Star Line treated the survivors and relatives of the dead abominably, refusing to pay reimbursement to many.. They refused to accept any real responsibility for the disaster. And IMM, the owners of the WSL, used their might and connections in the British Board of Trade to whitewash the investigation and exonerate the shipowners. The American inquiry was a bit more thorough, but focused mainly on the head of the line Bruce Ismay.

by Anonymousreply 103April 11, 2021 12:30 PM

R95 I believe they have three Cunard ocean liners now.

by Anonymousreply 104April 11, 2021 3:33 PM

No, R104, they have one bona fide liner, the QM2. The other two and the one currently being built are cruise ships, albeit with strongly plated bows for long distance cruising. They are not classified as ocean liners.

by Anonymousreply 105April 11, 2021 3:56 PM

R105 You are entirely correct. Although the new Queen Mary 2 does do some cruises, including an annual round-the-world cruise each winter, it is a liner and not a cruise ship both because of its heavier design (meant to withstand mid-and-north-Atlantic weather) and because its principal purpose is "line voyages" or crossings between two points, these being New York and Southampton, for roughly half the year.

by Anonymousreply 106April 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Thanks R106.

I know a few people who've done repositioning (transoceanic) cruises on cruise liner. Because of their shallow drafts and topheavy design, they slap on top of the water in rough seas and the bow almost disappears.

by Anonymousreply 107April 11, 2021 5:59 PM

Tonight is the anniversary of the sinking.

by Anonymousreply 108April 16, 2021 5:34 AM

If there had been no Titanic, we wouldn't have this masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 16, 2021 1:29 PM

Nor this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 16, 2021 1:31 PM

R108 and how do you plan to commemorate

by Anonymousreply 111April 16, 2021 1:40 PM

I ‘celebrated’ on Sunday, the actual night it sank. Watched the 1953, 1958 theatrical films and the well written but cheaply produced 1979 TV film (released as a regular film in Europe).

by Anonymousreply 112April 16, 2021 1:43 PM

We would sing this at summer camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 16, 2021 2:04 PM

R111, I don’t know about him, but I commemorated it by lighting 1,517 candles in my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 114April 16, 2021 9:40 PM

It's all well and good for you all to make your jokes, but I lost my great-grandparents on the Titanic, and it led to our losing our family's wealth and estates, my grandmother being forced into prostitution in White Russia, my father growing up abused in an orphanage in Montevideo, and my ending up on the streets in NYC at 14, unable to speak English and being preyed upon by the worst kinds of men.

Thank you for your humanity. Monstruos.

by Anonymousreply 115April 16, 2021 10:01 PM

Is there a Black Russia?

by Anonymousreply 116April 16, 2021 10:08 PM

We prefer the term Russia of color r116.

by Anonymousreply 117July 22, 2021 5:27 PM

I wonder if any gays were onboard the Titanic, and if so did they survive.

by Anonymousreply 118July 22, 2021 7:45 PM

R118, there are a few. Go to the Encyclopedia Titanica website. There are a few articles about them. One survivor saved himself by wearing his large fur coat and a gay crewman stood atop an overturned lifeboat for several hours until rescue.

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2021 3:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!