Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Badehotellet (The Seaside Hotel)

Danish series starting on PBS this weekend, many seasons and many episodes. Any gay content ?

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2024 3:15 AM

When on PBS? I don't see it on any schedule (and I get four PBS stations).

by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2021 11:14 PM

Watched this last year. A gay storyline. When of my favorite series EVER!

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2021 11:16 PM

It's in New York starting tonight on both channel 13 and channel 21

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2021 11:27 PM

Anyone watching? It's so good.

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2021 6:38 PM

I am convinced. Presently downloading the torrent.

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2021 7:17 PM

I just finished the first four episodes that were available on my local NYC PBS station, there are about eight seasons but they're only six episodes per season, I hope PBS bought the whole lot.

Apparently this is the most popular TV show in Denmark for the last several years.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2021 7:52 PM

Spoiler alert: that broke Count Ditmer will eventually be revealed to be gay

by Anonymousreply 7March 8, 2021 12:19 PM

Just finished watching six seasons on the PBS channel on Amazon Prime.

It is 1940 and things are looking dire.

Ditmar and Dupont are now a happy couple, but with Hitler at Denmark's doorstep that probably won't last.

There are an additional two seasons out there. I hope they show up soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 8, 2021 12:25 PM

And now the seventh season is on Prime.

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2021 9:14 PM

The bidet toilet?

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2021 9:16 PM

With just one more brain, what a half wit you'd be r10.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2021 9:50 PM

I KNEW we had a lot in common, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2021 11:25 PM

Who will turn out to be Mrs Anderson’s lost son? Morten’s drowned brother? Or will her lost son be alive & be Morten? Or will it be the goulash king, who was adopted by someone?

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2021 5:59 PM

The first season has too many plot twists for a maiden effort--you practically get whiplash, from all lost, to all found, to a "murder". And plucky Fie saves the day once too often.

I like the Wednesday Addams-ish daughter---one of the few characters that was allowed to build across episodes and the actress is much better than the one who plays her slutty sister. The adulterous pairing at the end is a bout as plausible as someone getting hot and heavy with the naturalist's mother.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2021 7:19 PM

Does anyone else suspect Amanda had a baby? She made a bet with her friend about which one would get laid first. She pursued Morten and succeeded in getting laid. The following summer she & her mother were late getting back to seaside hotel and her father said she & her mother had been in Italy for 6 weeks because “Amanda met a boy” at a theater and they were afraid she’d run off with him instead of marrying Ditmar. Amanda seemed less mean and more reflective when she arrived back at the Anderson hotel. I wonder ifmaybe she got pregnant by Morten and she & her mother either managed to hide it from Madsen, then went off to Switzerland for her to give birth…..or maybe Madsen knew she was pregnant and is in in the plot, but didn’t know who the father was until Amanda told him she was with Morten when he came through the window.

After all, Morten was Mrs Anderson’s son all these years, so it’s not like they haven’t had a similar story line. And when Fie told Amanda that Morten had been on the run for a year because of her father, Amanda seemed uncharacteristically mature and guilty, considering her previous impetuous, spoiled, bitchy self.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2021 4:22 PM

I've watched every episode so far. Amanda did not have a baby.

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2021 4:44 PM

PBS Passport only has 3 seasons. Amazon Prime has all seasons if I pay Amazon $5.99 a month extra for PBS but I’m already paying PBS every month.

by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2021 3:17 PM

I have watched the first 8 seasons on PBS via Amazon

Highly recommend.

There is indeed gay content-- a gay couple are among the main characters

by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2021 3:20 PM

How come a PBS subscription on Amazon shows all seasons, but a PBS subscription on PBS doesnt? That doesn’t make sense.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote] And plucky Fie saves the day once too often.

Spoiler alert -

That stops happening.

Anyway, like so many tv shows & movies nowadays, history gets rewritten into a kinder, gentler, sunnier version of real life. One thing to know about this show is that they don’t want to depress people, so everything is simplistic. They even have spies making uncoded phone calls from a hotel that’s right next door to a German-occupied hotel. “Hello? I’ve been spying for you, and here’s what I’ve found out about the Germans while I’ve been spying on them, ok?”

And spies just pop up unexpectedly, in places where they’re immediately noticed by everyone else. “Hey look! It’s the guy who’s been using boats in these waters for many years! He lives in England now. Gee, I wonder how he gets back and forth from here to England, which is one of the only enemies of the Germans left standing? Say, didn’t England bomb the German airfield a couple of farms over, recently? That’s a coincidence.”

You’re not going to get any Upstairs Downstairs stuff, like maids hanging themselves, or a sadistic, bible-addled gay footman killing his dom employer and taking staff members hostage. No former maid’s babies dying of pneumonia for lack of money to buy food and medicine. No cooks going mad & kidnapping babies. No one goes down with the titanic. God, how did we manage to survive 1970s tv?

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 8:37 PM

PBS has all 8 seasons now on Passport

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote] The adulterous pairing at the end is a bout as plausible as someone getting hot and heavy with the naturalist's mother.

Which adulterous pairing?

There are so many…..

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 8:42 PM

This thread is useless sans pictures.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 8:43 PM

I’ve been binge watching and I’m pretty sick of Edward Weyse. He’s fine in very, very small doses. But they overdose the audience with him as time goes on.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 8:49 PM

I FF every time he sings.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 8:56 PM

It suffers from “Everybody turns into a good guy” syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 11:31 PM

Fist Fuck, r25?

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 11:42 PM

These people been vacationing together at the same hotel every summer for at least 10 years, but they still call each other “Mr” Weisse, “Mrs Fjeldsoe,” etc.

When Mr Frigh dies, Mrs Madden asks if Mrs Frigh would like for her (Mrs Madden) to travel home with her and stay until after she tells the children their father has died. Mrs Frigh thanks her but says no.

But not once do they call each other by their first names. Mind you, this is a group so chummy that they have the hotel opened in winter in order to congratulate Mr Weisse and his new wife, the former Mrs Aurland on their marriage. They are told - at this winter party - that Mrs Aurland’s 2 sons are actually the children of Mr Weisse,

Who tells them? Mr Aurland.

No first names please.

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2023 8:21 PM

Dull as Danish dishwater

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2023 8:41 PM

People were more formal then. In The Diary of Anne Frank, the adults still use Mr. and Mrs. even after being locked in an attic and watching each other poop into a trash can.

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2023 10:55 PM

I was really turned off this season when they defended Nazi collaborators.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2023 10:57 PM

Who was Nazi collaborator? Madsen & creepy little stockbroker?

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2023 3:27 PM

I love this show. I love the aesthetic of the hotel and the styles.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2023 12:02 PM

Good news! The 10th and final season is currently running in Denmark. Can't wait for it to get here.

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2024 3:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!