Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Snapdragons Are Similar, But Not The Same As Lupins

Historically, Valentine’s Day is when you plot your out your five show garden around perennials and seeds you chose in September.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 5:43 AM

I live digitalis, snaps and lupins.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 11:44 PM

My grandmother usually planted snapdragons in one of her beds. She placed them in the back, for height. I can't remember what she planted on the border. Violas or pansies maybe? At any rate, they have pretty colors and a pleasant scent, so I'm all for snapdragons.

There's some landscaping company in Houston that uses snapdragons in its color plantings, but only one color, for some reason. I've seen the same arrangement all over town, so I guess some big company has won a big city contract or something. It's boring, but at least they're trying.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 12:15 AM

This is what we see in Houston, mostly in a color to replicate bluebonnets, the state flower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 12:21 AM

I like all spike-form flowers - Delphiniums, foxglove, lupines, snapdragons, veronicas, peach leaved campanula, foxtail lilies, gladiolus. That angelonia is cool, but I don't think it would be successful in my climate. They're all great for the back of the perennial border, but need shorter, more rounded flowers in front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 8:17 AM

Lupins?!

You must be out of your tiny mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 9:32 AM

Have always been a snaps fan, from the small bedders to the tall ones, suitable for cutting. One of the joys of growing Antirhinnums is making them snap. Why deny us the pleasure?

BUT, whoever "Luther Burbank-ed" the non-snapping snaps should be run over with a rotary cultivator.

It's easy to always have snaps in the garden, if you are growing them. At the end of the growing season simply break off the dried seedpods(which readily release the enclosed seeds), and sprinkle the seeds over the areas you want to have snaps in next year. In the colder areas of the country, you can sprinkle them on top of melting snow. This gives them adequate moisture, and the lighting conditions needed for germination. Once the plants are up in the spring, thin and/or transplant as needed.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 2:17 PM

Always fun to lead a child to a snapdragon, squeeze the flower and show the kid the "dragon's mouth" opening up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 9:56 PM

As a child I loved pinching them and making them "snap".

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 5:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!