Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

PERSONAL INFO ON THE INTERNET

Is there a way to erase yourself from being searched - not by going to each one but one company that will do it for you? I've found myself on some with a lot of incorrect information and I'm not on a few of the most used ones. I've been unemployed for a year now and never hear from any of the companies. I know my age (61) is a detractor but I am overqualified for 90% of them and I've had one interview exactly a year ago. So I'm thinking maybe there's some bad shit on some of them that isn't true. I had one j-walking ticket 10 years ago, I own a house that's worth over $1M so there's nothing other than my age that would stop me from at least getting interviews. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote]I own a house that's worth over $1M so there's nothing other than my age that would stop me from at least getting interviews.

I'm sorry, what?

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2021 6:20 PM

I only wrote that because I'm not bankrupt or owe tons of money or any negative financial factors. What's the snark? I still have a mortgage that I can barely pay. I by no means consider myself lucky.

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2021 7:10 PM

I'd go with AGE discrimination and leave it at that. Unless you are highly specialized with in a specific skill set, forget about it in the "professional" realm.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2021 7:14 PM

[quote] I am overqualified for 90% of them

This

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2021 7:24 PM

I've seen this one advertise on line, but I know nothing about them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2021 7:30 PM

Five Best Companies for Fixing Your Online Reputation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2021 7:32 PM

I had to use Rep Defender and they did a good job.

I had a sociopathic patient who was harassing and stocking a major public figure and she turned on me.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2021 8:03 PM

It’s age discrimination. Welcome to the club.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2021 8:38 PM

Ask Omarosa.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2021 8:48 PM

I need to find good reputation. Where to go?

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2021 8:52 PM

Do you give any indication of your age on your resume? Do you write old, lots of shalls, and oh dears? Do you use an age-specific email account, like Hotmail, AOL, or Yahoo? Do you mention that your hobby is archiving the costumes of every character on Golden Girls? Do you have an Instagram account showing your collection of caftans? Get rid of the tell-tale signs, OP, or you in trouble, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2021 9:03 PM

OP i found a reddit thread last year on how to remove your info from the main sites that list your DOB... i just tried to find the thread to link for you but i can't. it was annoying and who knows if it worked but basically if you go to the sites with your DOB there is a way to remove your info. the thread compiled all the sites into one list but you can do it piecemeal.

start with whitepages and just remove your info from them.

it took me about an hour.

agree that it's insane how so much of our information is accessible by google. my age, my addresses, my relatives - all out there. really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2021 9:41 PM

Thanks to the helpful responses - except R4. What I do is very specialized but there are many out there half my age and more "moldable". Very funny R11 but no, none of those. I most often dumb it down and don't list anything before the mid 90s. And I'm only on Facebook with occasional liberal replies to others' posts.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2021 1:12 AM

R13/OP. I don't think it is that there is bad stuff on the internet about you.

It is age discrimination.

R7 here. When I googled searched my name, all sorts of horrid things would pop up, that were placed by the patient who was stalking me.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2021 2:51 AM

I have used DeleteMe for years. It is well worth the money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2021 2:52 AM

I googled an old pal once and there were some crazy info out there. Like all her details plus who is related to her, associated with her at the address and there was even one site where they list all the occupants of an apt building, past and present, for how long etc.

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2021 3:11 AM

[quote] I own a house that's worth over $1M

Another Datalounger bragging about being a millionaire and all the house(s) they own.

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2021 3:30 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 11:22 AM

Reputation Defender is super expensive. I looked into it once and they basically wanted about 1,000 for EACH negative link. And no guarantee of course. In my case it was a lawsuit, sued by employer, kind of was a draw, got published by the court, bounced from law firm to law firm so my name is all over the internet with over a dozen links all on the first page. I can't afford to clean it up. But I know every HR director Frau first thing they do is Google the name to see what comes up for free.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 11:43 AM

[quote]I know my age (61) is a detractor

Most companies these days give you the stink eye after the age of 50. So 61 is really pushing it. How many working years do you have left? Four? Plus chances are you except a really high salary based on your years in the industry. All of those are big negatives. You might be better off trying to freelance or work as a consultant so the commitment to hire you does not get in the way.

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 11:47 AM

Keep in mind that there may be a lot of other people with the same name. Unless the information about you is very specific, it could be anyone. Once in a while, I search my name to see what I've been up to. I'm always amazed at how many times I've died.

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 12:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!