Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why was The Love Boat so popular?

Every week it was the same thing--they'd cruise down to Puerto Vallarta, then they'd cruise back to California. You'd never even get to see what Puerto Vallarta looked like.

Otherwise it was just an anthology show with has-beens in dull storylines. And with has-been musical comedy stars as the ship's crew's mothers.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2021 7:27 PM

I was a 13 or 14 year old girl when it started. We had moved to a new state - I hadn’t made a lot of friends yet. At 13/14 you are getting that dating grown up urge - but not too fast. Love Boat was very naughty for a young teen back then - in the early seasons Julie and Gopher were really young and attractive but non threatening. The old has been were the people our parents and grandparents knew. The main passengers were stars of tv shows we watched during the week. For a young girl who wasn’t going anywhere on a Saturday night it was like having a standing date. Issac always pointed right at me!

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2021 4:30 AM

Issac was hot.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2021 4:38 AM

I just remember it being a boomer landing spot. My folks would always be saying things like 'she held up, he's fat and is that a toupee? What the fucking blue hell did that bitch do to her face?' I always hated it.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2021 4:38 AM

You have to remember at that time we only had probably be three or four channels. So watching something like that was a treat.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2021 4:45 AM

Everybody watched it with their grandmother. I know I did.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2021 4:46 AM

Guys in Speedos walking about the pool in the background.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2021 4:47 AM

What R4 said, TVs only had 13 channels, but out of that maybe 3 or 4 channels had professional content. 3 networks ruled the airways, the rest was local armature crap, bad reception or just off the air.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2021 4:52 AM

I was home alone most Saturday nights and it was a ritual to watch it and Fantasy Island. One night, my older brother’s cool friends came by to pick him up. I was a 12 year old gayling, making popcorn and shooting the shit with the guys. I proudly told them that I never missed an episode of The Love Boat, and they were like “Dude, that’s bad. Don’t brag about that.”

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote]I just remember it being a boomer landing spot. My folks would always be saying things like 'she held up, he's fat and is that a toupee? What the fucking blue hell did that bitch do to her face?' I always hated it.

Clearly your folks had the right attitude and knew how to enjoy it for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2021 5:09 AM

I will say this, even as a young boy, those episodes were cringe worthy. All those recycled old movie starts making cameos were totally unbelievable and awkward even back then.

Maybe if I would have had as much blow as Julie the cruise director was doing on set I would have go it.

One of us was a lot more "happy" than the others, can you guess which one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2021 5:14 AM

Saturday night. Old people well past their party days.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2021 5:14 AM

There were some episodes where they went on location. Definitely remember an Alaska episode and I think Hawaii? Panama Canal?

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2021 5:06 PM

Falkland Islands?

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2021 5:40 PM

A majority of the show was filmed in a studio. The terrible 2-shot deck scenes overlooking the water, usually at night, were in front of a screen.

The third or fourth season they built a spa/gym set and it was in several storylines.

Some of the plots were clearly written by 80 year old former radio writers. So goofy. It was basically Love, American Style on a boat.

I did love the speedos and hairy men in the background. I saw one episode recently where a guy with a hairy back walked across the screen. You'd never see that now.

Even Peter Lupus appeared on screen in a speedo...though he did Playgirl and wasn't a pussy about it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2021 5:57 PM

Because we didn't have a remote control.

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2021 6:01 PM

I hated it, but as everyone else has said, there were only a few channels, no video recorders, DVDs, internet ....

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2021 6:09 PM

Very young and very old people loved it. They weren't going out on Saturday night anyway and the kids could dream of being a grown-up dancing at the disco and finding love on a cruise ship, while the olds got to see all the movie stars of their youth.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2021 6:44 PM

It was good, wholesome fun period. No violence, no guns.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2021 6:49 PM

Eldergay here. Back in the 70's taking a cruise vacation was everyone's dream. There were very few weekly luxury passenger ships in those days and sailing was expensive. Seeing it on TV made the dream a little more possible for many of us. Now, having done many cruises since those days, I appreciate how hokey the show may seem now, but we waited the whole week to watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2021 6:56 PM

Why was The Love Boat so popular?

One word: Charo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2021 7:02 PM

I know one reason....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2021 7:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!