Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Stanley Tucci trying to be the next Bourdain?

Well, is he?

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2021 6:02 PM

Yes, and CNN is trying to make him the next Bourdain.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2021 1:24 AM

duh, do ya think?

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2021 2:04 AM

I hate him, and I can't really pinpoint why.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2021 3:41 AM

I love him. But he’s getting too thin.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2021 3:43 AM

Do you mean you think Stanley Tucci is going to commit suicide in France, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2021 3:46 AM

r3 Maybe it's because he's a homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2021 4:08 AM

Bourdain didn't commit suicide. He was suicided There is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2021 4:10 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2021 4:17 AM

R6- Maybe it's because Stanley Tucci is GAY himself.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2021 4:22 AM

Let's keep him away from that grifter cunt Asia Argento!

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2021 7:59 PM

Did anyone watch? I liked the show but way too many commercials.

He must vomit after taking bites of all that rich Italian food, he is a compact man!

by Anonymousreply 11February 16, 2021 11:29 AM

Stanley is suddenly displaying a false modesty....very disingenuous. I used to love him.

by Anonymousreply 12February 16, 2021 11:32 AM

He comes across as effete. I'm torn I love the show but him not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13February 16, 2021 12:08 PM

He left his first wife for Edie Falco when they were in a play together but ended up going back to her after he and Edie broke up. The first wife later died of cancer and he is now remarried to Emily Blunt's oldest sister.

by Anonymousreply 14February 16, 2021 12:19 PM

He’s a bit of a slut. Regardless, I’d still do him.

by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2021 12:23 PM

He has no clue about how to make a Negroni, for a start.

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2021 12:26 PM

R14, Which would make John Krasinski his brother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2021 12:27 PM

someone needs to feed him a sandwich

by Anonymousreply 18February 16, 2021 12:29 PM

He was naked during Frankie and Johnny on Broadway, showing his big uncut cock.

by Anonymousreply 19February 16, 2021 12:30 PM

I really enjoyed this first episode, but maybe because I've been to the Amalfi Coast and also down to Paestum where the "mozzarella bufalo" are from.

Just drove through Naples, though! Realky wish we had gone to Ischia, after seeing it on this show!

I'm glad I learned about fake San Marzano labeling! And I might try making that Pasta with Zucchini (and butter! Haha! Stanley was seriously po'ed when he realized he hadn't been told that ingredient before!)!

(As an aside: Tucci is absolutely hilarious in "Shall We Dance?" [Richard Gere, JLo, Susan Sarandon, Bobby Cannavale].)

I know future episodes will make me regret either not visiting (Sicily, e.g.) or not doing enough in the places I did visit!

by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2021 12:37 PM

(a) I'd love to have seen his big uncut cock, and (b) he can be the next Bourdain or anything he wants as long as he takes me in his arms every night.

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2021 12:40 PM

R12, How so, his "false modesty"? He wasn't shy about speaking Italian, for example. And it surely wasn't false to commend his obvious culinary betters!

I'll have to watch again!

by Anonymousreply 22February 16, 2021 12:41 PM

r20 this zucchini pasta recipe seems pretty close to what was shown last night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2021 12:51 PM

that twink is cuter

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2021 12:58 PM

Thank you, r23!

And did you catch that Tucci said "zucchini/zucchine" the Italian way, with the "e" ending?

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2021 3:05 PM

Tedious, preening egomaniac.

Can't abide this prissy oxygen thief.

Or the creatures he surrounds himself with.

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2021 3:12 PM

So I read that recipe, r23.

The only flavor comes from basil, salt, and pepper. And, I guess, the olive oil. IDK that I would care for it so much.

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2021 3:15 PM

Maybe this one.

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2021 3:17 PM

Oops! Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2021 3:17 PM

r22, to be honest I haven't watched his show. The false modesty/disingenuous was running rampant in some recent interview I saw with him where the female host was gushing about his sexiness.

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2021 4:46 PM

They tried with Marcus Samuelsson, but he only got six episodes done...all domestic U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2021 6:53 PM

I can't abide Marcus Samuelson. He has one of those clear-your-damn-throat! voices. [See: Melvin, Craig]

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2021 10:22 PM

I can’t listen to Craig Melvin.

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2021 10:44 PM

R19, I thought at the time it was said his penis was, well, tiny. By DL standards at least.

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2021 10:45 PM

But what do you think about Stanley Tucci, r33?

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2021 11:51 PM

This Levi's advert was recently rediscovered by Esquire magazine. Stanley looks hot here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2021 12:32 AM

R36. Jesus.....he was hot as shit!

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2021 12:44 AM

He's the biggest closeted queen in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2021 12:55 AM

He has a book coming this fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2021 1:03 AM

Is his show worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2021 11:40 PM

His show is on now!!

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2021 12:21 AM

Fuck the spaghetti pics.

Big, uncut dick pics please!

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2021 12:26 AM

I made the zucchini pasta the other night..I used 3 cloves of garlic it was delish

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2021 12:31 AM

I have absolutely zero interest in watching this.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2021 12:34 AM

I’d eat his ass.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2021 12:53 AM

Dunno who or what Bourdain is- but I met Tucci years ago at a film opening (Big Night) at the restaurant Le Madri in NYC. He was handsome, unaffected, pleasant and smart. Did not pick up a hint of him being gay. Since then he has produced an incredible body of work on stage and screen that few peers can match in virtuosity. He has played straight thugs and gay men and ordinary Joe’s. He is a tolerant progressive liberal in life and still good friends with the chef from Le Madri who did all the food in Big Night. In brief- there is as always a pile of bullshit on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2021 1:01 AM

Anthony Bourdain is the Ur-Chef of books about the job of cooking and possibly of shows on traveling to find good food.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2021 4:11 AM

I like the show and the smart commentary. I have looked at the credits to see who is writing the episodes and there's no writer credited, so I am guessing Tucci is the writer. He doesn't seem affected to me and displays an incredible fluency of Italian. I love travelogues and their hosts, with the exception of the pedantic Rick Steves. His "history professor" vibe is grating and the overly detailed scripts are too dense, even for PBS. That's why I find Tucci's low-key and conversational style so refreshing. I will be watching the series to the end.

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2021 4:26 AM

The best show on television right now. He's charming, the food is gorgeous. I hate that I can't travel to Italy this very second. Fuck Bourdain-total poseur. Went to the lamest restaurants in San Francisco and I will never forgive him for it. Bourdain is frau bait, Tucci is cougar bait and I prefer the latter.

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2021 4:32 AM

How is he a "homophobe"?

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2021 4:32 AM

He has a moist, fragrant, extremely hairy, inviting anus.

by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2021 4:34 AM

Bourdain was a cranky, pretentious curmudgeon. Didn’t surprise me to hear he offed himself. I don’t think Tucci is like that.

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2021 5:42 AM

His taste in good food sucks! There it had to be said.

I love the show itself for off the beaten path info but so far raving about pasta with zucchini like it's the best thing he ever ate in the world is only important to one person, him and his wife This weeks episode included chicken organ meats and tripe and artichokes, rabbit? Um, hard pass.

The first episode on the Almafi coast he hardly went into all the lemon things the were known for. A glass of limoncello and a desert. Big deal. There are tons of uniqueness recipes there that use lemon in unique ways, he went to the cliche.

Bottom line, here's lots of strange food no one wants to eat, wrap it up at the end with a cleché to make the producers happy.

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2021 7:03 AM

Next weeks episode, bovine testicles, horse meat, blood pudding and finish with classic meatballs and spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2021 7:08 AM

Why does he want to be the next Anthony Bourdain? Bourdain was an asshole and Tucci is an incredibly in-demand movie star.

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2021 7:11 AM

IF CNN is willing to pay him to travel and indulge in something he enjoys why wouldn't he do it? He may need a break from pretending to be other people.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2021 7:24 AM

I don’t find him handsome

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2021 7:33 AM

I don’t find him handsome either r57, but I do find him charming.

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2021 10:58 AM

R36, I suspect it was Stanley or his agent who unearthed that ad, not Esquire or the writer.

Still, he was a little hottie and I envy his wife.

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2021 11:05 AM

I watched it and wasn't won over. So much has already been said about Neapolitan pizza, I didn't feel Tucci brought anything new to the subject. The rabbit restaurant was interesting. It felt like he was just covering restaurants he went to on holiday. I could do that! He seemed fine, just not as energetic & passionate about travel and food as Bourdain was. I will be trying that pasta recipe with zucchini though....

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2021 11:17 AM

r56 has hit the nail on the head. All expenses culinary vacation paid for by someone else- yes please! Although he must workout like a demon to keep the calories off- my mother did a culinary tour of northern France and gained 10 lbs in a week.

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2021 11:29 AM

How does he feel about straining pasta? That will determine how deeply I want him inside me.

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2021 11:40 AM

The ad's been on Youtube for years, r59. When someone "discovers" something like that, it's either PR or a very slow news day.

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2021 11:45 AM

Agree R60. Tucci is not bringing anything new to the Italian table here. Bourdain’s episodes in Naples and Rome (the gorgeous black and white one) really captured the soul of Italy.

by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2021 11:52 AM

I'll watch Episode 1 again (have Episode 2 taped), but my recall is that ST doesn't show us much of the justly vaunted Amalfi Coast or of Amalfi. And he takes us to an island only to ignore its island features?

I can't speak to Naples, but in a long life of many pies, I found the best pizza to have been on Capri, outdoors, overlooking the sea.

In Rome I dined on deep-fried zucchini flowers, again outside, on a rooftop across from the Colosseum.

All these shows---Steves, Bourdain, Zimmern, Tucci, even Fieri---offer memory prompts and vicarious thrills. Keep 'em coming!

But I'm not paying extra to watch Bobby and Giada on Discovery +!

by Anonymousreply 65February 22, 2021 12:31 PM

I'm enjoying the show! It's light and breezy. It is odd that no one is wearing masks at all in Italy, which is exactly why they went right back into lockdown soon after the filming.

by Anonymousreply 66February 22, 2021 12:52 PM

I’d watch the Tooch. I couldn’t stomach Bordain.

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2021 1:31 PM

I see what you did there, r67!

by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2021 1:41 PM

R46, And he has a gorgeous cock.

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2021 1:47 PM

R69 that’s always something to look forward to!

by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2021 1:50 PM

I have a crush on him. I think he's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2021 1:50 PM

This is R71 -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2021 3:22 PM

I know Bourdain was an asshole, but his streak of melancholy made his show at times less about travel or food and more about trying to find something in yourself. After going back & watching some of the old episodes, it is not all surprising he had a substance abuse issue & suffered from depression. I don't really want to see a depressed traveler, but if you want peppy travelers, go watch Rick Steve. I kind of the "dark night of the soul" kind of show.

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Just watched the Rome episode. Highly enjoyable and informative!

One good result from these 2 episodes is I learned not only more about the authenticity of San Marzano tomatoes and why guanciale is preferred over bacon in Sauce Amatriciana (guanciale is fattier and not smoked); but also that an Italian store in my vicinity carries both products!

Bologna up next! Dang, I spent one hellaciously hot and un-airconditioned summer night there, and upon awakening high-tailed it, did not stop, did not collect $200, straight to more temperate Austria!

by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2021 6:14 PM

Might be good to point out, in case there is one DLer who is unaware, that the small portions of pasta (even cooked in petite single-serve pans!) relative to American plates, is standard in Italy. Not drenched in sauce, either.

And they walk a lot. So that's how Italians eat their daily pasta without needing bariatric surgery!

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2021 6:21 PM

[quote] Which would make John Krasinski his brother-in-law.

Here's hoping they have boys only in law weekends that end in a lengthy, sweaty flip fucking session.

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2021 6:24 PM

Tucci is doing the PBS version of Bourdain's show.

Tucci has some knowledge of what he talks about - clearly, he's not as adventurous as Bourdain, but he's also not promoting some big commercial enterprise, either, so, okay by me.

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2021 6:26 PM

Now did you Tucci Fans go and watch "Shall We Dance?" like I implied you should?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2021 6:33 PM

I like lots of gravy on my pasta.

by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote]He has a moist, fragrant, extremely hairy, inviting anus.

Watching SUPERNOVA, I was distracted- in a good way - by his very hairy arms.

by Anonymousreply 80February 22, 2021 6:39 PM

I could eat the lemon delight dessert from the Amalfi Coast every single day, served with limoncello. I can't get enough of those Italian lemons from the Amalfi Coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 22, 2021 6:40 PM

I need to make some Roman carbonara this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 22, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote] I like lots of gravy on my pasta.

I'd like Stanley's cream sauce on me.

by Anonymousreply 83February 22, 2021 6:47 PM

I thought they were trying to make Zac Efron the next Bourdain. His show was (is?) closest to what Bourdain was doing in the end.

by Anonymousreply 84February 22, 2021 7:56 PM

I watched his show. It was interesting and engaging, and the food looked absolutely delicious. I will watch again especially because I love the passion the Italians have for food, and I can't take my mind off Stanley Tucci's hot, suckable intact cock.

by Anonymousreply 85February 22, 2021 8:45 PM

I'm watching as I enjoy food and travel shows but I'm not impressed at all. This is a really basic show. The first episode he was raving about tomatoes cheese and pasta. Oh wow groundbreaking. In the second episode it was more interesting except for the part bout the restaurant that featured the worst parts of animals.

Tucci is OK but his voice is a bit unpleasant and I hate the way he says "lunch". He was attractive when he was younger but not a stunner.

In general, Italian cuisine is now overexposed. I can't believe CNN made a whole series about Italian food. For the past 20 years in the US it's the main foreign cuisine we hear about, supplanting the hype that French food used to get here.

I used to watch certain episodes of Bourdain but a lot of the food he ate was shit too and it was often glum.

I'd like to see a younger, attractive host traveling the world and eating both well known and lesser known but non-gross foods.

by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2021 2:45 AM

The show has been a big success for CNN(bigger than Bourdain) and it's already been renewed for a second season. Viewers can't get enough of Tucci and Italy.

Good luck finding hotels in Italy next year.

by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2021 3:00 AM

Ugh. He's a lying piece of shit. And a big mo, I suspect. He was always begging for the strap-on.

by Anonymousreply 88February 28, 2021 3:07 AM

Anyone watching tonight?

by Anonymousreply 89February 28, 2021 10:49 PM

just finished the third episode. Not getting what's so great about it. It seems so basic rather than groundbreaking. It'd be a real joke if he won an emmy for this but then again awards shows are meaningless anyway.

It's also annoying that with every bite he acts like whatever he's eating is the best thing he's ever tasted. He keeps saying "oh my god" to everything in his mouth

This episode was so much pork. Also more cheese. The balsamic part was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 90March 7, 2021 7:07 AM

This show got old quickly. I enjoyed the first two episodes, the third bored me, and I tuned out most 9f the fourth.

by Anonymousreply 91March 17, 2021 4:08 AM

How is this man straight?

by Anonymousreply 92March 17, 2021 4:22 AM

I hate the sound of people chewing and smacking their lips and that’s all this show is! Even the commercials drive me nuts. Why would I want to watch and listen to someone eating? I’m honestly surprised it’s doing so well, but maybe it’s right for the time.

by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2021 4:35 AM

Yes, and no he won’t

by Anonymousreply 94March 17, 2021 5:04 AM

Why does he even have a food show? Is it because he played Julia Childs’ husband in that film with Meryl Streep?

by Anonymousreply 95March 17, 2021 7:34 AM

I am watching CNN in Europe and at the moment US version is on. CNN doesn’t have commercials here, the breaks are full of promotion of their shows. Every break begins with Tucci and his tour in Italy. It has been this way for weeks or months. I am so tired of seeing the same ad/pr over and over again. I can’t watch the actual programme because I’ve had enough of it already.

by Anonymousreply 96July 20, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote]Tedious, preening egomaniac.

[quote]Can't abide this prissy oxygen thief.

I agree with the above. Also, OP, the answer to your question is YES.

by Anonymousreply 97July 20, 2021 10:10 PM

Tucci's show is so much better than Bourdain's.

by Anonymousreply 98July 20, 2021 10:11 PM

My partner loves food shows but here's where I draw the line:

Actual chefs demonstrating their cooking techniques = yes

Dilettante foodies prancing around stuffing their faces = no

by Anonymousreply 99July 20, 2021 10:18 PM

He is not fluent in Italian; he is conversational. He is also a self-congratulatory colossal bore and is not hot enough to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2021 12:55 AM

I just found out that Stanely Tucci is married to Emily Blunt's sister.

Things that make you go, hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 101August 22, 2021 2:34 PM

BORING!!!

by Anonymousreply 102August 22, 2021 2:37 PM

Actually, I thought the show was less Anthony Bourdain - no way does Tucci have Bourdain's edge, nor does he try - but similar to Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix - kind of location/food porn, if you will. He's not a chef, but he clearly knows a lot about cooking & Italy, so he has an appreciation without just being a total fangirl or trying to "sell you" on the best mid-priced hotel or hip restaurant. Bourdain, probably in an attempt to show off, would do weird shit or eat disgusting things while Tucci seems to pretty much stick to the beaten path. And the show has very good production values. Whatever you might say about CNN, they don't do shit on the cheap!

I liked the show & I'd like to see them expand it to other countries that Tucci doesn't know so much about (or have a connection to) like France or Germany. He does seem a bit insufferable, but for an actor I guess he could be worse.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2021 5:24 PM

Probably more about raising his profile in this alternative career so he can sell branded cookware. The guy can work 50 years in movies and not touch the tens of millions he could make off cheap pots and pans sold at Macys and Kohls.

by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2021 5:42 PM

You're probably totally right R104! I hadn't really considered that angle - he doesn't want to sell travel, he wants to sell cheap shit!

by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2021 5:48 PM

Yeah once the book came out it became pretty apparent he seems to be trying to reorient himself as a sort of home/kitchen brand. I'm sure he's made a good living as an actor but 61 he still has young kids and probably would like to feel like he's set them up for life as he gets older.

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2021 5:57 PM

The Italy travel series is a fine start towards that.

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote]I'm sure he's made a good living as an actor but 61 he still has young kids and probably would like to feel like he's set them up for life as he gets older.

Well, it beats making some cut rate Western, only to accidently kill the director & camera person (see also, Baldwin, Alec)

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2021 6:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!