Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bachelor host Chris Harrison defends Ante-Bellum Theme Party: "50,000,000 people did that in 2018"

Chris Harrison wants people to show Rachael Kirkconnell “a little grace.”

The Bachelor host weighed in on the controversial contestant during an interview with former Bachelorette, Rachel Lindsay. Kirkconnell, who is currently the frontrunner to win Matt James’s heart, has “just been thrown to the lions,” Harrison told Extra.

Kirkconnell has been embroiled in scandal for weeks. Photos emerged of the 24-year-old attending an antebellum plantation-themed fraternity formal in 2018. A TikTok user made unverified claims she was bullied by Kirkconnell for dating Black men. (James was cast as the first Black lead of The Bachelor in the show’s 18-year history.) People looked up the Georgia native’s voting record and the voting record of her parents as they appeared to support former President Donald Trump.

“I haven’t talked to Rachael about it,” Harrison told Lindsay. “We all need to have a little grace, a little understanding, a little compassion. Because I have seen some stuff online — this judge, jury, executioner thing where people are just tearing this girl’s life apart and diving into, like, her parents, her parents’ voting record. It's unbelievably alarming to watch this. I haven’t heard Rachael speak on this yet. Until I actually hear this woman have a chance to speak, who am I to say any of this? I saw a picture of her at a sorority party five years ago and that’s it.”

Lindsay pressed Harrison on that party photo.

“Well, the picture is from 2018 at an ‘Old South’ antebellum party,” she explained. “It’s not a good look.”

“Is it a good look in 2018 or is it not a good look in 2021?” Harrison asked.

“It’s not a good look ever because she’s celebrating the Old South,” Lindsay explained. “If I went to that party, what would I represent at that party?”

“I don’t disagree with you,” Harrison said. “You’re 100 percent right — in 2021. That was not the case in 2018. Again, I’m not defending Rachael. I just know, I don’t know, 50 million people did that in 2018... that was a type of party that a lot of people went to.”

Harrison maintained he’s “not defending it,” but said people aren’t looking at the party “under the same lens” now.

“My guess? These girls got dressed up and went to a party and had a great time, they were 18 years old. Now, does that make it OK? I don’t know Rachel, you tell me,” he said. “Were we all looking through [that lens] in 2018?"

“With Rachael, I think what’s frustrating… There’s nothing that contractually stops her from saying, ‘Hey, this isn’t true,’” Lindsay declared. (Kirkconnell has issued no public statement regarding the controversy.)

“Yeah, but it’s a slippery slope,” Harrison replied. “I saw something that said this person is a registered Republican, therefore they are this ... We have to be so careful when we start labeling people.”

Harrison speculated that Kirkconnell “needs a little time” before speaking out as she has never been in this position before.

“Well, it’s been six weeks,” Lindsay pressed. “We’ve seen problematic contestants before affiliated with the franchise, Rachael’s not the first. I think people have a question of will the franchise speak out and say something? Will she say come out and say something? Then you have another level that she is dating a Black man. It adds more complexity to it.”

“Where is the narrative of her falling in love with Matt?” Harrison asked. “When you are trying to react to something on social media, there is no grace ... I’m just going to give her the grace and the time to actually come out and speak.”

“Will the show address it or is this on Rachael?” Lindsay asked.

“It's first on Rachael,” Harrison noted. “The show does push these social issues and then we will talk about it, on the ‘Woman Tell All’ we do get into it… Rachael was not there and so we didn’t get into the Rachael of it all but, Rachael will have her time to speak. Hopefully, I will be there to have that debate with her and I will push her... I will try to hold her feet to fire as much as I can... I don’t think the show needs to speak before Rachael does.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65Last Tuesday at 1:37 PM

“I really agree with you on that,” Lindsay said. “I agree this is on her, not necessarily the show.”

“I respect her enough to allow her the courtesy of time and she can speak on her own,” Harrison concluded.

Harrison’s interview was not well received by many on social media.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2021

Chris Harrison to be cancelled in 3....2.....1.....

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2021

Isn’t the main viewership for this show the kind of people who would go to an antebellum frat party?

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2021

Happens in threes.

Who's next?

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2021

Who?

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2021

I demand that thing be CANCELLED!

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2021

Uh, CBS PR didn’t step in on Chris Harrison straight white mansplaining how racism is okay?

REALLY???

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2021

I don't give a fuck about any of this, but I know The Bachelor is on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2021

Whatever R8. Even worse. At least CBS would have had an excuse as the old racist white person network.

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2021

"50,000,000 people did that in 2018"

Names please.

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2021

I'm surprised at Chris Harrison.

But he seems to be in the same position as Republican Congressmen.

His viewership base is made up of Deplorables and MAGATS, and if he pisses them off then his ratings will sink.

So he has to pander to them.

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 1102/11/2021

He’s a moron who needs to shut his fucking trap.

by Anonymousreply 1202/11/2021

Here we go....

[quote] Fans Want Chris Harrison Fired From ‘The Bachelor’ After Another Racism Scandal

For fans of The Bachelor, the escapism that comes with watching the show is starting to clash with reality in a big way. After years of allegations of racist behavior within the show’s ranks, as well as incidents of contestants’ racist behavior in public and on camera being swept under the rug, calls are intensifying for ABC to finally do something about it. One thing many fans want? Some accountability for Chris Harrison, the show’s host and executive producer.

Harrison is under fire this week after he spent an excruciating 13-minute interview with Rachel Lindsay, the show’s first Black lead, gaslighting her and excusing the racist actions of Rachael Kirkconnell, a contestant on the current season.

When discussing pictures that resurfaced of Kirkconnell attending an Antebellum themed fraternity formal in 2018, Harrison responded to Lindsay’s comment that it “wasn’t a good look” by saying, “Well, Rachel, is it a good look in 2018? Or, is it not a good look in 2021? Because there’s a big difference.”

Lindsay responded, “It’s not a good look ever, because she’s celebrating the Old South. If I went to that party, what would I represent at that party?”

Harrison’s response to that?

“I don’t disagree with you. You’re 100 percent right in 2021. That was not the case in 2018. And again, I’m not defending Rachael. I just know that, I don’t know, 50 million people did that in 2018? That was a type of party that a lot of people went to. And again, I’m not defending it. I didn’t go to it.”

Harrison has since apologized for that interview. In a statement posted to his social media, he said he was “simply” asking for “grace” for Kirkconnell.

“What I now realize I have done is cause harm by wrongly speaking in a manner that perpetuates racism, and for that I am deeply sorry,” he wrote, adding a personal apology to Lindsay at the end.

In response to Harrison’s statement, the BIPOC women from the current season of the show put out a statement of their own, condemning the way non-white women are treated on The Bachelor and saying that they deserve the grace that Harrison is asking for for Kirkconnell.

This is far from the first time Harrison has been accused of sweeping racism under the rug during his 18-year tenure on the show. In 40 seasons, Lindsay was the only Black lead to be cast before this season, with Matt James in the starring role. The franchise has been accused of casting James as a “knee-jerk reaction” to last summer’s racial justice protests and a petition from fans that garnered 80,000 signatures asking for the show to finally cast a Black male lead.

Now, fans are circulating another petition, this time calling for Harrison to be removed from the show. Some of the franchise’s biggest and most outspoken fans, the moderators of The Bachelor subreddit, have shared the petition and called for Harrison to finally face some accountability.

“The moderators of this sub are disgusted by the recent interview between Rachel Lindsay and Chris Harrison,” they wrote. “Using a black woman’s platform to shield Rachael [Kirkconnell] and advocate that racism should be given ‘grace’ is beyond words. It is past time this franchise take REAL ACTION to denounce racism and white supremacy and this sub provides a platform to call for change.”

So far, more than 30,000 people have signed the petition asking for Harrison to be removed. He has not commented on the petition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2021

I'll bet he regrets doing that stupid interview with Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2021

Every undergrad in Kappa Alpha and their dates R10.

Wonder what fraternity Chris was in, hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2021

"I knew I never should have included black people on The Bachelor!!"

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2021

R15 He was a Kappa Sigma at Oklahoma City University in the late 80’s. I was at the same university at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2021

[quote] Kappa Sigma at Oklahoma City University in the late 80’s

Oh, DEAR!

He's a Deplorable MAGAT for sure.

Gen-Xer former fratboy from Oklahoma????

No wonder he said what he said.

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2021

Rachel Lindsay is annoying. She takes this silly show and its participants way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2021

He’s a Trumper, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2021

He's stepping aside - I assume until this season is over.

"I have consulted with Warner Bros. and ABC and will be stepping aside for a period of time and will not join for AFTER THE ROSE special. I am dedicated to getting educated on a more profound and productive level than ever before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2021

Isn't this a show about procuring women for some rich guy to pick and choose from after trying each of them out? I mean...

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2021

Rofl R21.

Chris Harrison is CANCELLED!

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2021

[quote] Rachel Lindsay is annoying. She takes this silly show and its participants way too seriously.

She may soon take Harrison's job and be the face of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2021

[quote] I am dedicated to getting educated

@ R21 China does a lot of re-educating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2021

From the wikipedia page for the series creator/executive producer, Mike Fleiss:

"In November 2014, Fleiss was criminally charged for harassing Baywatch star David Charvet and his wife, actress Brooke Burke;[1] the case was eventually dismissed. In July 2019, Fleiss' then-wife Laura Kaeppeler alleged that he physically assaulted her while she was pregnant after he "demanded she get an abortion", prompting the Kauai Police Department to lead a criminal investigation.[7] Two weeks later, Kaeppeler dropped the assault charges and received a $10-million settlement."

Probably a conservative too.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2021

He was stupid to open his mouth but the cancel culture makes me want to puke. How is it not McCarthyism when any speech that isn’t “correct” costs people,their livelihoods, reputations etc. and the whole thing is run by mobs. That apology was like something the Stalinists made people sign before they shot them.

Chris Harrison is the show. So maybe now is a good time to pull the plug on the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2021

[quote] Chris Harrison is the show. So maybe now is a good time to pull the plug on the franchise.

I agree.

The show will die without Chris Harrison.

And if they try to install Rachel as host? No fucking way. She's a twat.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2021

Cancel culture = McCarthyism = Group Hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2021

Chris Harrison made a good point about how standards have changed so rapidly in recent years that nearly everyone has a "cancelable" action on social media that someone could weaponize against them.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2021

Chris has been doing The Bachelor for so long that he probably has accumulated enough "fuck you" money to say, well...

FUCK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2021

Guess who is another famous graduate of Oklahoma City University. DL fave Kristin Chenoweth!

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2021

He’s never coming back. All these deplorables unable to hide their racism being taken down is fucking glorious. And the Trumpie whining about canceling is even better. LOLOLOL

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2021

Not trying to defend the douche Chris or the crap show, but if Shonda had made some show like Bridgerton with wealthy black people in some antebellum party, the same SJWs, who are foaming at the mouth and demanding cancelation, would be bending over backwards to explain how there were wealthy Black people in the South even back then, how the casting is justified, yada yada yada. All the social media chatter is a case of "outraged when it is convenient to be".

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2021

[quote] That apology was like something the Stalinists made people sign before they shot them.

Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 3502/14/2021

Gina Carano had more balls than he does, by refusing to grovel to such a revolting degree. She lost income as a result of the attacks on her, but at least she was able retain her dignity.

by Anonymousreply 3602/14/2021

As if someone comparing how Republicans are treated to Nazism has dignity! You Trump Nazis are too fucking much!! 🤣😂

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2021

The Twitter bubble is not the world. It is a very small subset of the viewing audience for The Bachelor. The petition only got 30,000 signatures out of 20 million people who watch the show. The majority of its millions of viewers would not want Chris to leave the franchise. To have him step aside to appease this small minority of wokers is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2021

[quote] I'll bet he regrets doing that stupid interview with Rachel.

He went on her podcast as a favor to her, which he should not have done. Don’t do any favors for former contestants. Be like other producers, bosses, writers who refuse to go on former underlings’ podcasts. You don’t see Joss Whedon going on Amber Benson’s podcast.

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2021

[quote] The petition only got 30,000 signatures out of 20 million people who watch the show. The majority of its millions of viewers would not want Chris to leave the franchise. To have him step aside to appease this small minority of wokers is absurd.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!

That ABC would cave to this tiny minority of annoying twats, is LUDICROUS!!

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2021

He thinks things were different 3 years ago? Has he not paid attention to what’s been going on since the 50s and 60s? What an incredibly stupid person.

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2021

The show is fake as shit, but people should be more insulted by the very premise of the show - a bunch of desperate women falling over themselves for a bunch of closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2021

[quote] Cancel culture = McCarthyism = Group Hysteria.

McCarthyism was nominally a reaction to communism. To what sociopolitical movement is cancel culture the reaction?

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2021

[quote] He went on her podcast as a favor to her, which he should not have done. Don’t do any favors for former contestants. Be like other producers, bosses, writers who refuse to go on former underlings’ podcasts. You don’t see Joss Whedon going on Amber Benson’s podcast.

Bullshit! His hubris is his undoing. Don't tell a Black woman how she should feel about a racist affront.

by Anonymousreply 4402/14/2021

[quote] Don't tell a Black woman how she should feel about a racist affront.

I think it's easier just to never speak to a black woman. Ever.

Then you won't have to deal with all their self-righteous bullshit and defensiveness.

Problem solved!

by Anonymousreply 4502/14/2021

I hate this show. Nothing good comes out of any season. Some people might justify their own bad behavior because they saw it on the Bachelor/ette.

by Anonymousreply 4602/14/2021

R45, I definitely agree that is the right solution for you -- since you likely are a maladjusted loser who no one would ever want to talk to anyway.

But the lesson for everyone else is don't let your overweaning ego overwhelm your decency and common sense.

by Anonymousreply 4702/14/2021

This is typical of females in the workplace.

Catty, vindictive, and hateful.

Always out to get men.

Rachel probably wanted his job, and she knew how to get it. Particularly in this woke climate.

by Anonymousreply 4802/14/2021

[quote] “Were we all looking through [that lens] in 2018?"

Excuse me? This was less than three years ago. He’s making it sound as if happened decades before. I’m surprised that in 2018 anyone still thought it was a good idea to have a party celebrating the Old South. No one should have needed the horror of George Floyd’s murder to realize that some “Moonlight and Magnolias” themed party was a piss-poor idea.

by Anonymousreply 4902/14/2021

[quote] Rachel probably wanted his job, and she knew how to get it. Particularly in this woke climate.

There is a petition on Twitter for Rachel to be the new host and all bachelors to be BIPOC.

by Anonymousreply 5002/14/2021

There you have it, R50.

The woke agenda strikes again.

Little do they realize that this is really turning people against the movement.

It's fucking obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 5102/14/2021

WHITE MEN WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!

They WILL assimilate to our tolerance Level and belief systems or they WILL be cancelled!!

While people will NOT offend us in any way!!

You WILL NOT trigger our discomfort for the sake of your own white thoughts and viewpoint!s!!

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2021

Does anyone know what the ratings were for Tayshia’s season and for the first black Bachelor? It’s back to back black leads.

by Anonymousreply 5302/14/2021

Rachel is such a joke. Maybe if she actually picked a black man she would have more credibility, but she went on to snag a white guy. Now she’s made a career out of being the black spokesperson for the show and she gets pissed at everything.

Every black lead has picked someone white, yet the outrage is reserved when a white person picks another white person or when it’s a black male in this case picking a white woman. That’s why they went hard into this girl’s background because she is rumored to be the winner. There is a Bachelor Reddit board and all they do is investigate everyone who is a non POC and call for them to be canceled. It’s asinine, especially given with this show is about.

by Anonymousreply 5402/15/2021

Looks like the whole show is going to be CANCELLED.

Thanks, Rachel! Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5502/15/2021

The white male host defends a white female contestant's attendance at an overtly racist gathering -- the Greek equivalent of a Klan rally -- but it is somehow all the Black woman's fault? Trump is the consequence of NOT holding someone to account for their own actions.

by Anonymousreply 5602/15/2021

[quote] Rachel Lindsay Says It Was the 'Right Decision' for Chris Harrison to Step Aside as Bachelor Host

What a fucking SNEAKY and CONNIVING bitch!!!

I hope there's a fucking backlash against this ugly, maniupulative twat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5702/16/2021

I wonder what her endgame is.

by Anonymousreply 5802/19/2021

Is she a man in drag?

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2021

It's funny/strange to me how popular this garbage show still is. Is it getting even more popular or has it peaked yet? With this junk as a number one show, what won't basic straight people watch on TV? Are televised executions next?

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2021

If you hate Trump but you watch reality TV of any kind, that's cognitive dissonance.

by Anonymousreply 6102/19/2021

Supposedly, the first black bachelor has already dumped the girl because of her misdeeds. He issued a very woke statement.

What a boring dud he turned out to be. I think it may be time to kill off Bachelor Nation.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Tuesday at 4:12 AM

Too many damn Rachels. The only one we need is Maddow.

Chris Harrison doesn't deserve to be a Chris.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Tuesday at 4:22 AM

That’s a Demon, Baby!

by Anonymousreply 64Last Tuesday at 4:40 AM

He really had no choice but to dump her. I think that would’ve happened anyway though. I am not someone who screams ‘he’s gay’ like so many here, but he had no chemistry with any of the women. He was the happiest when Tyler came to visit.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Tuesday at 1:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!