Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dean Martin's Former Palm Springs Home Now An Abandoned Dump

He bought it in 1968. He and his 2nd wife Jeanne lived there until they divorced in 1973 and the house became her property. She owned it until she died in 1989, but it's not known if she lived there full time.

You'd think someone would have been able to snap this place up at a good price at some point and turned it back into a showplace. It seems in much better condition inside than outside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2021 4:48 PM

It looks like a cheesy jersey shore rental from the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2021 6:12 PM

Is it for sale? Anyone know the address?

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2021 6:14 PM

Not for sale. Yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2021 6:18 PM

Fuck that, it looks like someone could just walk through the goddamn bedroom windows.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2021 6:19 PM

Seems very modest, especially for the neighborhood

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2021 6:23 PM

This is where Dean lived when he died, on Maple Dr. in Beverly Hills. This house went on the market in 2017 for just under $28 million. Apparently it had been massively redone since Dean lived there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2021 6:39 PM

This is another of Dean's properties in Palm Springs, called "The Tea Dance House". Now this is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2021 6:41 PM

Jeanne Martin actually died in 2016. It's odd that the house is empty, but even odder that new-ish trash cans are there.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2021 8:33 PM

Yep, you're right R8. I got the numbers wrong. She didn't die in 89, she was 89 when she died in 2016.

Some said Dean died alone and was found the next day by his house help. But Jeanne said she was with him when he died and had crawled into bed with him and held him.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2021 8:47 PM

Jeanne Martin is still the owner of record. How can property taxes in Palm Springs be less than $2,000 per year?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2021 8:51 PM

r10 Proposition 13.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2021 8:59 PM

From the listing at R7, "known eponymously as 'the Tea Dance House.'" Oh, dear! /WTF?

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2021 9:01 PM

About a block down from this, Sandra Dee and Bobby Darrin's place is abandoned and in ruins. My friends have a gorgeous midcentury right behind it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2021 9:11 PM

Dean Martin had a “sad last days” moment. I’d see in a BH restaurant now and then, alone drinking and looking so so so sad. Patrons knew to leave him alone. I am only guessing here, but I heard the death of his son destroyed him.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2021 9:17 PM

R13 doesn't look "in ruins" to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2021 9:26 PM

A few things. As someone else pointed the trash cans look like new cans. So does the ac unit. Someone obviously cleans the interior. The driveway would get a power wash and look great. It is a shame that the exterior has not had jack shit done to it in years. I could see Dino sitting by the pool all tan and shit. Last, what is with the metal pull up down in the back?

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2021 9:56 PM

R10, I'm no real estate guru, but aren't property taxes based on the original selling price of the home? If Jeanne has owned it forever, the taxes wouldn't be as high as someone just buying it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeanne's daughter Gina is still alive at age 64 and would potentially be the sole heir. (Dean and Jeanne's son Ricci died three weeks before Jeanne, and golden child Dean Paul infamously died in the plane crash in '87.) I don't know if Dean's children with his first wife would've been in Jeanne's will, but they seemed to have a good relationship with her. Dean Paul also had a son with Olivia Hussey when he was married to her; it would be interesting to find out who actually inherited the house, and why it's not been kept up or sold. They could easily sell the house for $1 million+ as is, just based on the lineage.

R16, the metal pull-down thing in the back is installed often on homes that go unoccupied for a length of time. The last condo complex I lived in had a lot of snowbird owners, and most all of them had the pull-downs over their windows to prevent theft. It's odd--yet again--that there would only be one installed on this house, and on the back side. The ones in my condo complex had them over each window.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2021 12:49 PM

Maybe the pull down is to keep out light/heat. It's a pretty unremarkable looking house.

The property tax in California is based on the purchase price, because of Prop 13. If it was bought in the 80s, the property taxes would be very low. Not only because houses were cheaper then, but interest rates were high (which depressed prices) and Palm Springs was considered old fashioned at that point and no longer a big celeb place, while the snowbird retirees had moved to other towns with newer housing.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2021 1:27 PM

It's an original Alexander so there is some value there.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2021 2:38 PM

I think it was restored a while ago and turned into a rental, R13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2021 2:49 PM

"I’d see in a BH restaurant now and then, alone drinking and looking so so so sad."

He was going out in public without his teeth and looked extra bad. I don't know how he ate in restaurants with no uppers and lowers, maybe he always drank dinner. Contrary to popular myth, Martin was indeed a big drinker, alcoholic by today's standards.

"I am only guessing here, but I heard the death of his son destroyed him."

That's what has been written. Dean didn't pay attention to Dino when he was a kid and rarely when he was an adult. Know that they were not great friends or close, EVER.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2021 4:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!