Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Dynasty II: The Colbys" finally on streaming!

Someone finally put good quality copies of the full episodes on YouTube, thank goodness -- the box set DVDs are $70-80.

It was a pale spinoff of "Dynasty," but it had its moments, especially anything with Stephanie Beacham. The garden party where she tells Katharine Ross "I don't give a damn about YOU or your BASTAHRD -- you SLUT!" is worthy of the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 11, 2022 10:03 AM

OP here. No one wants to discuss it?

I've watched the first 8 episodes. Really not as bad as it seemed in the 1980s. Stephanie Beacham is marvelous -- she nails both the soap campiness and manages to squeeze in actual emotion, which Joan Collins never was able to do. And Emma Samms' version of Fallon works better here than it did in Dynasty.

Maxwell Caulfield couldn't act in a community theater production, but he wasn't cast for that. Every episode has him in tiny tennis shorts or shirtless. He looks like a young George Peppard. Katharine Ross is terrible, period. And since it's set in 1980s California, there are some hilariously hideous "high end" workout outfits.

Poor Barbara Stanwyck's health varies from episode to episode. In some she's frail but fine; in others she delivers her lines braced on a chair and seems to have trouble speaking.

As 1980s camp goes, it's fine. I've streamed worse during the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2021 12:47 AM

Did Claire Yarlett ever act again?

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2021 12:49 AM

A bit, nothing major. But she's in her mid-50s and aged spectacularly well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2021 12:54 AM

The theme song was spectacular. I’ll link later.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2021 1:00 AM

I think I quit watching when Barbara Stanwyck left? It was sort of fun—Sable was great, but Charlton Heston and Katharine Ross sucked.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2021 1:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2021 4:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2021 4:44 AM

Thanks, OP. I watched it about 15 years ago on SoapNet but I just might watch it again. Of course, it will probably get pulled now that you posted it here.

IIRC, some things worked, and a lot of things (*cough*Emma Samms*cough*) really really really didn't.

Stephanie Beacham was the big casting find. She was fabulous as Sable and she really brought some life back to Dynasty, which had been left on the operating table years ago after a botched lobotomy, when she joined that for the final season.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2021 4:46 AM

[quote]Stephanie Beacham was the big casting find. She was fabulous as Sable and she really brought some life back to Dynasty, which had been left on the operating table years ago after a botched lobotomy, when she joined that for the final season.

She would have been a fantastic Alexis. I prefer her to Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 9February 13, 2021 12:06 AM

Beacham was fabulous. You can understand why they wanted to keep her for Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 10February 13, 2021 12:10 AM

One of the things I loved was Beacham tossing her fur coat in the opening credits. You knew right away the bitch was gonna be epic.

by Anonymousreply 11February 13, 2021 12:12 AM

I'm sure Katharine Ross is a nice woman, but boy, was she out of her element as Frankie.

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote]One of the things I loved was Beacham tossing her fur coat in the opening credits. You knew right away the bitch was gonna be epic.

She does it with the elan of a woman telling her maid, "I'm cleaning out the closet, do you want this?"

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2021 12:16 AM

R13 roflmao. Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2021 12:19 AM

One of the big problems with the Colbys was the cast was too large. The show wasn’t that far removed from Dynasty in terms of stories (the parent show did them tighter and better) but even an hour was too short to accommodate everyone on the show. Stanwyck thought she would have a role similar to Jane Wyman on Falcon Crest and wasn’t happy when it didn’t pan out. But she started to have memory issues and quit after one season. Agree that Beacham was a standout. Emma Samms was horrible. The show should’ve revolved around Jason, Connie, Sable, Jeff and Fallon (Pamela Sue Martin in the perfect world). Jason and Sable had too many kids. As a teenage gay, I loved the opulence and over the top quality of it though.

by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2021 12:24 AM

But where are the Dynasty episodes??

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2021 12:26 AM

Did they try to get Pamela for this? I think she would have been better suited for The Colbys.

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2021 12:29 AM

My friend and I would watch it every Thursday night, and we both LOVED Sable.

We were 16.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2021 12:33 AM

When will "Dynasty III: The Cheddars" be available on streaming?

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote]Jason and Sable had too many kids. As a teenage gay, I loved the opulence and over the top quality of it though.

Bliss and Miles should have been the twins. Miles and Monica had no similarity or chemistry at all.

And "Bliss" is one of the most hilarious first names in the Dynasty universe, perhaps second only to "Caress."

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2021 12:49 AM

Was this something that our dear G was on? I can never keep track.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2021 12:50 AM

Remember when Fallon willingly took off in a UFO?

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2021 12:52 AM

I started watching. I’m sadly hooked. LOL THANKS OP.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2021 12:56 AM

R17 yes. They always wanted Pamela back, even when Jeff and Fallon went back to Dynasty, but she always said no. Emma was a disaster from day one and audiences hated her. They turned Fallon into a frau for pretty much Emma’s entire Colbys Dynasty run, which was the complete opposite of the character.

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2021 2:19 AM

Emma Samms -- love her as Holly, but she is the worst recast of a female on a soap ever. Worse than Donna Reed.

She's up there with John Bolger as Phillip; MISCAST

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2021 4:20 AM

Claire Yarlett played Dr. Jenna Jacobs on the West Wing;

Martin Sheen as the president reamed her over gay rights.

I love this scene.

She and Sheen both were quite good in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2021 4:23 AM

[quote] Emma was a disaster from day one and audiences hated her.

Well, I mean.... the character is not supposed to be British. That is just the beginning of what was wrong with her, but it should have been enough.

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2021 4:25 AM

Emma is Australian.

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2021 4:31 AM

You never know what you're going to get when you cast toddlers and then they grow and have to have actual lines and be little actors. That said, you'll want to light a match whenever "L.B. Carrington" has to speak, he stinks so bad. "Little House on the Prairie" Carrie level bad.

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2021 4:41 AM

R28. No. Sutton is English.

Emma Samms was born on August 28, 1960 in London, England

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2021 4:48 AM

I started watching it now. I hope this doesn't get pulled off YouTube. I'd rather be watching Dynasty. I remember season 1 of Dynasty was actually quite clever. Although Dynasty became a celebration of wealth in later seasons, it almost started as the opposite, with an almost satirical take on the depravity of the wealthy. Of course, 75% of the social commentary was gone by season 2, and none of it remained in season 3, and not even a trace of it made it anywhere near "The Colbys."

Even though this is certainly a knock off version of Dynasty, it's still more watchable than 90% of what's on TV nowadays. I love the music, the establishing shots, the dialogue where the characters don't sound like idiots and the men don't sound like valley girls, the wardrobe, the decorum. The sets! Jason has a full bar with liquor and glasses and a bookshelf in his office.

The first 10 minutes were quite boring, but it finally comes alive once Sable reveals her hate boner for Jeff to Constance and we get the sense that this interloper will be a continuing source of drama for Sable.

I see what someone was saying above about too many characters, though. Why does Constance need a boyfriend? Isn't Ken Howard playing Dominique Devereaux's baby daddy? Why does he need to be on this show and not Dynasty? And Jason and Sable really don't need three kids.

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2021 5:27 AM

Ricardo Montalban and Charlton Heston were both still very fuckable in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2021 5:32 AM

Beacham was so desperate to be Joan Collins but could not even come close to pulling it off.

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2021 5:37 AM

[quote]I love the music, the establishing shots

Just as on "Dynasty," an establishing shot could include the Eiffel Tower and Marcel Marceau in whiteface juggling with a baguette under his arm, and a title card would still proclaim

[bold]PARIS[/bold]

in case it wasn't obvious.

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2021 5:39 AM

R34 lmao.

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2021 5:40 AM

R33 Hi, Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2021 5:40 AM

Joan refused to have anything to do with the spinoff, believing it would dilute the original. Did any other actors join her in that and consciously avoid The Colbys?

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2021 5:43 AM

"I know that you're very upset about Sean -- but there's a whole world out there! It's full of hideous music, GHASTLY clothes, and dreadful young men for you to bring home to shock us! Now: is there anything I can do for you?"

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2021 6:24 AM

Watched this a few months back when it first dropped. Brought back so many childhood memories.

Bliss might as well have been in her own show. She was barely featured with her family, and rarely knew what was going on with them.

Katharine Ross was so, so bad. Just terrible. When you're out-acted by Maxwell Caulfield, it's time to pack it in.

Not that Max needed to be a good actor. So damned hot.

There were several scenes of Heston attempting to fight, and he always looked like he was about to break a hip.

John James continued to play Jeff as a self righteous asshole. At least he got to be the man in his marriage this go round, however. Pamela's Fallon had a bigger dick than he did.

Tracy Scoggins started out as bad as Ross, but her acting improved greatly by Season 2 -- and thank goodness, since she had a big storyline that season.

I loved Emma Samms (I was 9 when the Colbys premiered) but watching now, I realize how miscast she was. She remained British the entire time, boring, and in constant need of rescuing. I would have liked her to play the Fallon who fucked football teams. I've seen Emma play vixen -- she could have pulled it off.

I keep seeing people comparing Sable to Alexis, but there is no comparison, IMO. Alexis never really seemed to give a damn about her children, other than lip service, especially when it came to Steven, her favorite. She and Adam conspired together, but there was no real warmth there. And I just know that if Alexis and Pamela's Fallon ever fell for the same guy, Alexis would cut that bitch without a second thought (did they ever like the same guy before? Maybe I'm wrong here. I wouldn't mind finding out that Alexis had a heart.)

Meanwhile, I can't imagine Jason or anyone else being able to pay off Sable to stay away from her kids. Or scare her off. Or make her feel guilty enough to ever be away from them. Or any myriad excuses Alexis had for remaining out of her children's lives. Sable had her faults, but the woman was a mama bear to a damned fault. She stanned for her kids -- especially Miles -- and gave no fucks who got in her way regarding their well-being and future. Sable spent the entire first season mad at Connie because Sable believed she had the right to tell Connie how to spend/bequest her own damned money! Sable was determined that Miles get that stock -- not Jeff -- and fought both Connie and Jason bitterly over it.

I just don't recall Alexis giving much of a fuck about her kids. If she did, Collins played it so bitchily, so casually, that I missed it. In fairness, I haven't watched Dynasty since it ran on SoapNet, so if Alexis showed any warmth in an orifice that wasn't her pussy, I've probably forgotten.

Collins made Alexis a bad bitch, a fighter, a tough business woman, for sure. Pure entertainment. Fun to watch. A sexy woman with masculine qualities.

Beacham's Sable had heart and soul. I cared about her. Even when she was misguided, I felt for her plight. She was a lover and a fighter, and she was usually fighting for something/someone she loved. A sexy woman with feminine qualities.

Both were great.

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2021 7:07 AM

R37 Linda Evans was probably another one. She didn’t come right out and say she was boycotting the show like Joan, but when Jeff and Fallon married, Krystle and Alexis weren’t there due to Denver being fogged in or something like that. Alexis I could understand, but wouldn’t Krystle be on the same flight as Blake who was there?

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2021 8:19 AM

R39 Fallon and Alexis both fucked Mark Jennings, Krystles ex.

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2021 8:24 AM

Thanks for the link, OP. I watched 'The Colbys'a few years ago on another YouTube channel, and I let out a very gay gasp when Sabella fainted in the doorway (in her fur coat, of course) when Jason threw her out of the mansion. I must've replayed that scene a dozen times.

From all that I've read, Heston, Stanwyck, and Ross all only signed on for the $$$. Stanwyck soon realized it was trash and asked her friend Aaron Spelling to be released. Ross stayed on because they provided an on-set nursery and the work wasn't very demanding, and Heston was getting paid more than God to play Jason Colby. I think even he was relieved when it was cancelled. Beacham was the breakout star and crossed back over to 'Dynasty' when they cut Dame Joan's eps in the last season as a budget saver.

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2021 9:49 AM

That's right, R41. Was Alexis in love with Jennings? Or was he simply another in a long line of toyboys? Was Alexis aware that Fallon had slept with him? If so, did she care?

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2021 10:13 AM

The theme is fantastic. Beacham was the best, better than Joan when she went to Dynasty. Stanwyck was totally unused, screen legend with not one good storyline.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2021 11:22 AM

R43 After Alexis found out he was fucking Fallon, Alexis made it seem like Mark and her had just slept together. Mark got out of the shower and Alexis was in bed in a dress but she looked like she was nude with the comforter pulled down so Fallon could see her bare shoulders. And then she walked in (Alexis must’ve known Fallon was on her way). It was Alexis and her twisted way of getting Fallon out of his life. So in her own way she cared lol.

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2021 3:01 PM

I want to see this show Connie that Beacham was in before Dynasty. Sounds fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2021 3:55 PM

I believe the excuse for Alexis and Krystle not appearing at Fallon and Jeff's wedding was that both were ill.

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2021 4:14 PM

R47 no it was weather related.

by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2021 5:16 PM

Thank you, R48. Either way, it's pathetic. I guess Blake took an earlier flight, or was already in California? And what could Krystle have possibly been doing that required her not to fly with Blake?

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2021 6:26 PM

R33 Beacham was the best thing about the whole affair.

Joanie was never more than a third rate Liz Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 50February 13, 2021 6:26 PM

R50 I wouldn’t go that far. Beacham was effective and understood the camp factor of both shows, but I would’ve cast an American actress as Sable. Another British bitch was just too obvious for me. Angie Dickinson, Faye Dunaway, and Elizabeth Ashley all turned it down. Elizabeth Montgomery was offered the Frankie part, but Montgomery would’ve been perfect as Sable. Dunaway too.

by Anonymousreply 51February 13, 2021 7:37 PM

About the Emma Samms mis-cast dilemma: There is an interesting interview with David Paulsen who took on Dynasty for its last season. It's a very long interview, about many shows, not just Dynasty. This is the part about Emma Samms:

When I first got the show and started screening the episodes to see who was popping off the screen and I saw Emma Samms, I thought to myself, she's a beautiful young woman, but she's stiff – with a British accent- in Denver? I couldn't buy that. And I'd heard that her predecessor, Pamela Sue Martin - I'd heard the audience loved her. And the audience did not like Emma. And so I started thinking, "What if?" And came up with an idea to bring Pamela Sue Martin back in a rather interesting way that would have shocked the audience.

But first I wanted to meet with Emma. I called her, she came into my office and I said, "My God, this a beautiful, charming young woman. Bright, intelligent, funny. But none of that's on the screen." I asked her why. She said she didn't have anything to work with. And I thought she was right. I thought "If we can capture who Emma really is, then we have a character people will like." So, I made some changes in her wardrobe, brought in a coach to get rid of her accent. And decided to give her a love interest who would kind of bring her character down to earth. So we created the character of Zorelli. And it brought her to a reality that the audience had not seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 13, 2021 8:17 PM

I don’t get why there’s a massive wave behind Charlton Heston as Jason in the opening. He wasn’t a surfer. It should have been a shot of the Colby chopper flying over the Pacific. Or maybe a ahotgun.

by Anonymousreply 53February 13, 2021 8:55 PM

Oops, I meant a shotgun.

by Anonymousreply 54February 13, 2021 8:55 PM

Emma was great as Fallon on Dynasty's last season. They had her play it t he way Pamela Sue did in the first 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 55February 13, 2021 9:56 PM

R52 Interesting. Linda Evans was written off to get more money for the production. Joan’s episodes were cut for the same reason. He was also ready to write Alexis off and to make Sable a lead but the series ended before it. He prefered Beacham to Collins, and so did I! Dynasty was so boring during its first season that even one note actor Collins was able to lift it up. Her Alexis was very popular but I always thought Joan was over rated.

by Anonymousreply 56February 13, 2021 10:12 PM

Joan Collins was actually pretty good in her first season. Then the writers figured out what traits she played best and wrote to those traits. She wasn't challenged anymore until the last season.

by Anonymousreply 57February 13, 2021 10:32 PM

Ungrateful bitches, mocking my acting chops here. I am still light years ahead of that Evans blonde one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 13, 2021 10:44 PM

Constance would have been better cast as the real Colby matriarch -- Jason's mother, rather than sister. (Stanwyck was born in 1907, Heston in 1923.) Then Sable would have been fighting her mother-in-law, and the Colby young adults would be her grandchildren.

I wonder if that was ever the plan and Stanwyck wanted it changed.

by Anonymousreply 59February 13, 2021 11:14 PM

[quote]I don’t get why there’s a massive wave behind Charlton Heston as Jason in the opening. He wasn’t a surfer. It should have been a shot of the Colby chopper flying over the Pacific. Or maybe a ahotgun.

That's a good point. So many of the men had phallic symbols in their opening credits -- Blake's towering building, Ben's gushing oil well, Adam's gushing Champagne bottle, Garrett Boydston's big cigar.

I always laughed at trampy Sammy Jo's credit with a big circular bank vault opening up behind her.

by Anonymousreply 60February 13, 2021 11:18 PM

Why was Pamela Sue Martin was so opposed to reprising Fallon ? Surely they would have paid her a ton to play the romantic lead in a Dynasty spinoff...and its not like she had other roles coming through at the time.

by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2021 11:35 PM

R60 I think it has something to do with them living in Malibu

I love Dominique's credit - laying her cards down with the casino in the background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 13, 2021 11:36 PM

R61 Pamela has always been flighty. She left the Nancy Drew series too. She was also battling hair loss and cystitis at the time she left the show. And she was having issues with her marriage. Her official reason was she tired and stressed of dealing with the fame of the show. Plus she disliked the glamour show aspect of it vs the skewering of the rich when the show started. They offered her a spin off before the Colbys and she turned them down. I can’t really see Pamela playing Fallon as the frau on the Colbys anyway like Emma did. She wouldn’t have been cool with that. The producers tried a few times to get her back including the reunion but she always said no.

by Anonymousreply 63February 13, 2021 11:43 PM

I'm on episode 3. Emma Samms is just terrible. And why did they pick the name "Randall"? It's so annoying. But seriously. Did they not make her audition/screen test for the role? Did they not realize she is completely incapable of speaking with an American accent? Sometimes it doesn't even seem like she's trying to.

Maxwell Caulfield had one hell of a bod. I wish they had made him just a little bit more of a ditzy mimbo playboy.

The only time Monica is interesting at all is when she's flirting with Jeff. It would have been SO wrong, but they should have gone there.

Bliss/Claire Yarlett is really stunning and the best actor out of Jason/Sable's kids.

The show is [italic]almost[/italic] great but just missing that extra oomph. They just tried to do too many things and they tried to make it too much like Dynasty. But it's definitely watchable.

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2021 1:54 AM

And what is with Emma's dumpy wardrobe? It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2021 1:55 AM

Emma Samms was quite good on Season 9 of Dynasty. Fallon was no longer written as a boring victim and more like Fallon of the early seasons. But Samms on Colbys and Season 8 of Dynasty was just painful to watch. Stiff, dull, no charisma and stuck with a dull character. Even Karen Cellini showed more life when she took over the role of Amanda from Catherine Oxenberg in Season 7 of Dynasty though she was badly miscast as well as she didn't have an iota of Oxenberg's cool hauteur.

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2021 2:02 AM

Yes, she was fine on season 9 of Dynasty. I'm particularly fond of her catfight with Sammy Jo when they fight over Jeff but then realize in a fit of giggles that neither of them want Jeff. But unless someone wants to put Dynasty season 9 on YouTube I'll probably never see it again.

by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2021 2:05 AM

And why is Frankie American but Sable British? Did they just think accents were carried on recessive genes or something?

by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2021 2:07 AM

For r67. Nothing is ever lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 14, 2021 2:17 AM

Maxwell Caulfield has almost a transatlantic accent in this, and I absolutely love it. He could have been great if the writing was just a little bit better.

by Anonymousreply 70February 14, 2021 2:42 AM

Thanks R69. In season 9, they made Dynasty fun again. Shame it was too little too late.

by Anonymousreply 71February 14, 2021 2:43 AM

Too bad it took so long for Emma to settle into Fallon. She was a total score on General Hospital as Holly, and had great chemistry on-screen (and off) with Tristan Rogers. Having to replace the popular PSM in a poorly written revamp of Fallon opposite a vanilla John James stacked the deck against her for sure...

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2021 3:04 AM

Who names a chick Randall anyways?

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote]And why is Frankie American but Sable British? Did they just think accents were carried on recessive genes or something?

They make reference to Frankie growing up in L.A. while Sable grew up in England, but it's further muddled by the fact that Frankie now lives in London and commutes back and forth to L.A.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2021 4:22 AM

[R60] I think it has something to do with them living in Malibu.

And yet, the Paul Wilson designed Hilton mansion they used in the opening credits and for locations was in Holmby Hills.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2021 4:47 AM

Emma did improve in season 9, but every time she was onscreen , even season 9, I always thought ugh we are stuck with this actress. Dynasty had its share of fuck ups since its glory days, but I always thought losing Pamela was the biggest.

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2021 5:08 AM

Some hilarious fuckups -

At the end of S1E13 Charlton Heston backhands Maxwell Caulfield, but they forgot to dub in the sound later and you can see just how phony the "slap" was.

At the beginning of E15 a furious Maxwell Caulfield peels out of a parking lot recklessly in his sports car, but the cars on the freeway behind him are moving in sped-up motion.

The Shapiros were never sticklers for verisimiltude, either in the writers' room or in the direction.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2021 5:18 AM

For handful of people who watch the New Dynasty: How do both shows stack up? Is Dynasty II better than New Dynasty? Or should both be dumped and forgotten?

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2021 11:56 AM

Colbys is much better than Nu Dynasty. Nu Dynasty is so bad you have to see it to believe it. It had some semblance of at least being enjoyable trash at first. But the writers and actors have just completely given up and it’s become a live action cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2021 12:15 PM

The Colbys theme music is great...but so very similar to Falcon Crest and Dynasty. Guess Bill Conti didnt want to stray too far from his proven formula.

This interview offers insights into his approach...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2021 3:05 PM

Samms is intriguing in a car crash manner. Miscast, badly dressed, coiffed, and an an American accent she never nails down. She's as watchable as the parade of bad wigs (Heston, Montalban, Stanwyck). Weirder is she's at the forefront for any nostalgia money spinning event such as the upcomng Zoom.

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2021 4:23 PM

We have Tori Spelling to blame who suggested to her father Emma. I truly don’t know wtf they were thinking by casting her. Total opposite of Pamela and Fallon in every way. It’s really two different characters before and after Pamela left.

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2021 5:46 PM

R80 The theme song is excellent. I especially love the closing credits version with the extended trumpet section.

R81 Someone behind the scenes seemed to have had a grudge against her, between the wardrobe that makes her look like a middle aged hausfrau and the awful writing. She accused Adam of rape and the psychiatrist reasoned that she did it because she has an incestuous attraction to Adam... how humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2021 9:55 PM

Maxwell Caulfield is a lot of fun when he's chewing the scenery and especially when he's threatening Jeff.

Ricardo Montalban is the perfect 80s soap villain in the mold of Stefano diMera. I wish they hadn't given him such a stupid name as Zach Powers.

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2021 9:56 PM

The incest theme runs heavy on The Colbys. Fallon gets amnesia over the shame of incestuous feelings for Adam. Bliss comes on to cousin Jeff then gripes how all the hot guys are off limits. Jeff gets acccused of doing it with cousin Monica, albeit on season 9 of Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2021 11:14 PM

[quote]The incest theme runs heavy on The Colbys. Fallon gets amnesia over the shame of incestuous feelings for Adam. Bliss comes on to cousin Jeff then gripes how all the hot guys are off limits. Jeff gets acccused of doing it with cousin Monica, albeit on season 9 of Dynasty.

As long as Jason and Connie don't start doing it, I'm willing to play along.

by Anonymousreply 86February 15, 2021 1:51 AM

I'm tearing thru these pretty fast. I will definitely be done with season 1 by Friday. Having no life helps :) Is season 2 anywhere? IIRC, there was a hot Russian ballet twink on season 2.

by Anonymousreply 87February 15, 2021 3:29 AM

Dynasty also played with the incest thing as well, finally going full on incest with the Leslie and Clay storyline when it was revealed after they hooked up that Clay was actually the son of Leslie's father. Drama insued briefly, though it was near end of season 7 and Ted McGinley's Clay was about to exit the show.

by Anonymousreply 88February 15, 2021 12:15 PM

R88 I think almost every soap did

Days of Our Lives multiple times

by Anonymousreply 89February 15, 2021 1:08 PM

Joan Collins is not a good actor. (well, not much.) Stephanie Beacham is a MUCH better actor. But watching early clips of Dynasty on Youtube, it's hard to imagine anyone else as Alexis or at least giving us the Alexis we fell in love/hate with and who saved Dynasty from the chop. Maybe it was the cartoony way Dynasty was written, it was a great fit for Joan's acting skills. Beacham has this this softness, hurt, vulnerability in her eyes. She's too real or too human for a character like Alexis. Of course she could dress up, spit out Alexis's lines no problem and it would work but I think Joan's Alexis works better. And Collin's has flawless diction and her cut glass accent.

by Anonymousreply 90February 15, 2021 1:59 PM

Kate O'Mara's character was the most non-sensical in Dynasty. They brought her to the show to ruffle Alexis' feathers and nothing else. When they realized that they had no idea what to do with the character she was sent back to prison. Then they brought her back for reasons I don't understand only to find out that they still didn't know what to do with Caress, and they dumped her again.

It was a symptom for Dynasty's greatest weakness. Everything was planned for big PR, nothing was planned to advance drama.

by Anonymousreply 91February 15, 2021 2:16 PM

The UFO was the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 92February 15, 2021 2:24 PM

'The Colbys' jumped the shark about the 2nd episode, but nothing (besides the UFO) beats Bianca Jagger guest starring. This clip is in a foreign language, but it still showcases her lackluster acting skills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 15, 2021 2:41 PM

LOL, R93, lackluster Bianca and wooden Heston. What a terrible scene! I remember being so excited for The Colbys. Within a few episodes, it was clear it was just a dull bore.

Emma Samms really was terrible as Fallon. By the late 1980s, I lamented the use of so many daytime soap actors who just couldn't cut the mustard in primetime. Samms was one, Kristen Alfonso on Falcon Crest was another. Jack Coleman was terrible as Steven when Al Corley had given the character so much heart. So often those daytime soap actors just didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 94February 15, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote] Jack Coleman was terrible as Steven when Al Corley had given the character so much heart.

I loved Al Corley, but at least Jack Coleman kept the Steven character’s fuckability. Steven was a total top BTW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 15, 2021 4:15 PM

Jeff is revealed to be the son of Charlton Heston. So he gets accused of screwing his half sister Monica by the tabloids. Eww!

by Anonymousreply 96February 15, 2021 5:45 PM

I wasn’t too keen on Corley and his acting ability. But I do admire him for insisting on making Steven full on gay or just leaving the show. Of course he chose to leave. Coleman was the sharper actor, but could be TOO sharp at times without the sensitivity, but he was still my favorite Steven.

Beacham gets a lot of love, especially on the Dynasty and Colbys blogs. I still prefer Joan, but Sable was a perfect foil for Alexis and Connie on both shows.

by Anonymousreply 97February 15, 2021 8:19 PM

Emma discusses having "long COVID" in Patsy Stone's favorite magazine. She certainly has aged well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 15, 2021 8:29 PM

24 seconds of pure gay heaven, courtesy of Sable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 15, 2021 8:55 PM

From what I've seen in interviews Stanwyck loathed Heston with a white hot passion. She wasn't too fond of the younger actors, either. She adored Beacham who she made share a dressing room with her so they could have daily lunch.

Caulfield was also hated by cast and crew alike as being arrogant and problematic on set.

Heston called Beacham as soon as he became ill and told her that he wanted her to know (before he lost his memory of her) that he loved her.

by Anonymousreply 100February 15, 2021 10:58 PM

Miles actually had to utter the line, "Bliss, you live up to your name!" If I were Maxwell Caulfield I would have prayed for the earth to open up and swallow me whole right there.

by Anonymousreply 101February 16, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote] I wasn’t too keen on Corley and his acting ability. But I do admire him for insisting on making Steven full on gay or just leaving the show. Of course he chose to leave. Coleman was the sharper actor, but could be TOO sharp at times without the sensitivity, but he was still my favorite Steven.

I actually like them both... I thought both were fuckable and could act. But Corley definitely benefited from much better writing for the character than Coleman had. Steven was the character whose lobotomy hurt the most, because he was such a complex character in the first two seasons. The way he loved his family in spite of the way they treated him was so tortured and tragic. Then with Jack Coleman he was just another Carrington except he sometimes fucked dudes and sometimes fucked chicks. But still fine as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 102February 16, 2021 1:57 AM

In episode 17, Fallon looks stunning in a sexy red dress. It's the first time since the beginning of this series she hasn't looked completely frumpy.

by Anonymousreply 103February 16, 2021 5:24 AM

[quote]R33 Beacham was so desperate to be Joan Collins but could not even come close to pulling it off.

Oh, she was a better actress than Collins by FAR and created a much more rounded character.

Incidentally, Our Faye was first offered this role, but she held out for too much money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 16, 2021 5:52 AM

^^ oh sorry. I see this was covered in R51.

by Anonymousreply 105February 16, 2021 5:59 AM

R104 a lot of fans feel that about Beacham. I don’t see why Sable and Beacham are so worshipped. Sable was simply a bitch who’s husband cheated and left her, then she tried to cozy up to Zach Powers, Blake and Dex for awhile. Period. Not saying she wasn’t effective at times, but Joan had more levels and to play as Alexis and at least worked for a living. Sable did shit except spend money and fuck.

by Anonymousreply 106February 16, 2021 7:31 PM

R98 I thought it is Faye Dunaway! R100 interesting

by Anonymousreply 107February 16, 2021 7:39 PM

Beacham never had as good writing as Collins had in season 2 of Dynasty. There were so many mysteries and layers about Alexis in Dynasty season 2 -- plus she intentionally caused Krystle's miscarriage which is by far more fucked up than anything Sable did, or Abby on Knots Landing did. Alexis was a very fascinating character. Something that had never really been seen on TV before then.

Collins definitely made Dynasty a hit, but she had very good writing to work with in season 2 of Dynasty, which is perhaps the best overall season of *any* 80s primetime soap. Beacham fought her way from a member of the ensemble in The Colbys season 1 to getting the "And..." credit in The Colbys season 2, but despite her best efforts wasn't able to make The Colbys a hit and wasn't able to save Dynasty in season 9.

I love both Collins and Beacham. But there's a reason Collins is a legend legend and Beacham is a DL legend.

by Anonymousreply 108February 17, 2021 4:29 AM

This review seems to be suggesting that season 2 of The Colbys is better than season 1. I guess I'll see. I'm almost done with season 1 and headed straight for season 2 when I'm done. There hasn't really been a second of this show where I wouldn't rather be watching Dynasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 17, 2021 4:32 AM

I'm rewatching the series and forgot about [spoiler alert below]

...I forgot about Sabella backing over poor Connie (Barbie Stanwyck) in her Mercedes. Stanwyck must've already been begging to be let out of her contract. I think she dies later in a helicopter crash or something.

by Anonymousreply 110February 17, 2021 9:36 AM

R108 I think you nailed it. The British bitch had been done to the hilt by Collins. By the time the Colbys debuted the audience was like “yawn”. Beacham did try, but I always thought not having Pamela Sue Martin on the show really set it back from day one. Monica was the Fallon like character, but little of the charisma. Like I’ve said previously, the cast was too large and it was too similar to Dynasty. Knots Landing lasted a long time because it wasn’t a Dallas clone. Throwing in some elements from the parent show, yet making it different is a hard task. But the Colbys WAS more entertaining than Dynasty was in that two season time period.

by Anonymousreply 111February 17, 2021 4:36 PM

I finished season 1. It was like a mediocre season of Dynasty. It was actually worse than I thought it was 15 years ago when I saw it on SoapNet.

I realized Hutch/Joseph Campanella left halfway thru the season and I didn’t even notice. That’s how insignificant his role on this was. Lol. But apparently now his character is dead along with Connie/Barbara Stanwyck. I can see why she left. Connie ended up being a nothing role, really.

Fallon is pregnant from getting raped by Miles. This is just like the storyline where Adam raped Kirby and she got pregnant on Dynasty. Jeff was also married to the pregnant Kirby. IIRC, it actually turns out to be Jeff’s baby, but that really doesn’t make sense, because Jeff and Fallon didn’t get back together until a few episodes after Miles raped Fallon.

Monica crashed her plane. Lol. I guess they weren’t sure she was coming back or if they wanted her back?

I’m so happy Sable told the police Jason pushed her down the stairs. He so had it coming. The season ending with police cars tearing him away from that ho Frankie is wonderful.

On to season 2! It’s also on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 112February 18, 2021 2:11 AM

[quote]There were so many mysteries and layers about Alexis in Dynasty season 2 -- plus she intentionally caused Krystle's miscarriage

And then sneered, [italic]"Poor Krystle — the empty-armed madonna ... "[/italic]

Trust me, gay gasps were heard from coast to coast that night.

by Anonymousreply 113February 19, 2021 12:47 AM

R113 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 114February 19, 2021 12:53 AM

Lol r113.

I’m on season 2. It is a big improvement over season 1. They’ve made Frankie and Fallon both a little feistier and both actresses are improved. Bliss’ Russian boy toy is just stunning. Channing is a really fun character. They’re doing a lot less and they’re doing it better, even if they are covering territory Dynasty already covered by having Sable (Alexis) live with Frankie/Jason (Krystle/Blake) and Jeff (Jeff) married to the pregnant Fallon (Kirby) who was raped by Miles (Adam.) James Houghton is a snack with a touch of gray as Sen. Cash Cassidy and Tracy Scoggins is another who has improved over season 1 as Monica.

Ken Howard as Garrett left after the season premiere. Apparently he and Dominique were a couple? I knew that from watching dynasty, but I don’t think it was ever mentioned on The Colbys until he left. It never made sense to have him on this show instead of Dynasty if his major storyline was on Dynasty with Dominique. I think they thought having characters cross over would be easier than it ended up being, which is strangely a lesson that spin-offs have had to learn repeatedly throughout TV history. But IIRC the goal was originally to have “Dynasty” air 3 times a week. Anyone have more background on that?

by Anonymousreply 115February 19, 2021 1:38 PM

R115 what do you mean three times a week? I know the way Joan felt about crossing over (hell no), but I’m unsure about the rest of the cast. Garrett was Jackie’s father. I think Diahann was the only cast member to cross over on season 2. I dont think the crossovers really added too much to the show. When the spin off is trying to establish its own identity it’s probably not a good idea, but I don’t think the ABC, the producers and writers really cared. They just wanted an extra hour of Dynasty. Hence the name Dynasty 2 for the first season. The Colbys really should’ve followed Dynasty. The Thursday night time slot killed it. But soaps were dwindling around this time frame, so even if the Colbys was close to perfect, I can’t see it getting a third season.

by Anonymousreply 116February 19, 2021 2:58 PM

Sable had some great bon mots during the episode with Constance’s death.

To Miles: Just remember, everything she gave him (Jeff) should have been yours.

Lol, the way she said it was really funny :)

Anyway, season 2 is great. A lost gem.

by Anonymousreply 117February 20, 2021 5:39 AM

I finished the series tonight.

Overall, I’d give season 1 a C and season 2 a B+.

Season 1 was too unfocused with too many characters and it was just too derivative of Dynasty. It also had serious problems with the actors. By the end, Emma Samms was OK as Fallon. In the first half of season 1, she is completely terrible, and it makes moments that should be dramatic almost like a joke. The characters are just too undefined and the question is why we should care when Dynasty has already done all of this first and better.

Season 2 was a big improvement. The storylines are much better, the cast has been pruned, and they do more than just cover ground Dynasty has already covered. It is very good and the storylines such as Monica’s secret past and son with Senator Cash Cassidy and Miles’ new bride Channing, who fears having children, are both winners. Bliss’ new romance with Russian dancer Kolya is also good, though I may be just blinded by the fuckability of Kolya, and the storyline loses steam halfway through the season. The season is definitely watchable, and has something unique to say; this is no longer just a Dynasty clone. There are some pacing issues. The Sable/Jason divorce is delayed until halfway thru the season, seemingly because the show isn’t ready to bring on Michael Parks yet, who is a great addition when he arrives. This season is very good, but it’s definitely a B+ and not an A. This isn’t the deeply layered compelling storyline of Knots Landing, but it’s also not the can’t miss outrageousness of Melrose Place. It comes up just short of greatness. But maybe they were getting there.

Or maybe not. The cliffhanger of Fallon getting abducted by aliens, which is now all anyone remembers of The Colbys, is awful. As Chris Carter of the X-Files should have learned, but never did, you can’t confirm aliens exist in a TV serial. That is a lame storyline because it’s impossible to pay off in a satisfying way. The curiosity and conspiracy of aliens is what makes them interesting.

Overall, I would recommend season 2. Season 1 is nothing special. Thanks again for posting, OP. It was fun to revisit this series.

by Anonymousreply 118February 21, 2021 4:11 AM

R118 The X Files wasn't a serial, it was an "plot of the week" sci fi drama, there were some serial elements here and there but it was nowhere near serialized like The Colby's

Or any other primetime or daytime soap opera

by Anonymousreply 119February 21, 2021 6:04 AM

R119 True. I always preferred the Monster of the Week episodes to the mytharc episodes. Maybe that will be my next rewatch since I finished The Colbys!

by Anonymousreply 120February 21, 2021 6:05 AM

If I remember correctly back then I immediately disliked the look of the show. The entire design, interior design, clothes, hair - it all reeked Republican of the 80s. It was like Nancy Reagan on steroids. Even Dynasty had a more unique look. More importantly, The Colbys had a universal look, giving their characters no way to distinguish themselves. Second season broke that look up a little bit, but not by much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 21, 2021 7:48 PM

R121 I wasn’t alive then, but it does seem like it would have come across as a bit stodgy, even for the mid-80s. Season 2 of The Colbys and season 1 of thirtysomething both aired in 1987 and they just seem to be on entirely different planes of existence.

by Anonymousreply 122February 21, 2021 7:51 PM

R121 And did like every single 1980s soap take a cast pic with that background? Even the cast pic was too generic.

by Anonymousreply 123February 21, 2021 8:01 PM

I'm rewatching the first season, and Sabella has yet to repeat an outfit. There was even one scene in the breakfast dining room where she was only on camera for less than two minutes...but she never wore the outfit again. I would assume most of the wardrobe budget went towards her, as the guys were always in suits. And Frankie, Fallon, Monica, and Bliss seemed to wear some off-the-rack stuff. I'm sure Stanwyck's wardrobe was custom, but she's repeated several outfits.

by Anonymousreply 124February 22, 2021 1:30 PM

[quote]And Frankie, Fallon, Monica, and Bliss seemed to wear some off-the-rack stuff.

Frankie's signature color was yellow, which is tough to pull off for nearly anyone but it looked awkward and cheap on Katharine Ross.

Monica wore weird shades of blue, and the producers put her in front of vivid red backgrounds (her red lacquer office, her lover's red satin sheets). Not flattering.

Barbara Stanwyck often wore Western-ish wear in a nod to The Big Valley.

The only one who consistently looked good was Sable in various shades of white.

by Anonymousreply 125February 22, 2021 6:03 PM

The Colbys Mansion is for sale. Surprisingly the exterior hasn't changed at all in 35 years. Looks exactly like it did when the Colbys helicopter landed in the backyard in the first episode. 13 bedrooms. Only 75,000,000.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 24, 2021 10:47 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 127February 28, 2021 8:36 AM

Holy shit — I'm the OP still working my way through this and I realized I was present for the wedding scene in S2E20.

My roommate at the time worked part-time as an extra and I tagged along with him one day when he was doing a beach shoot at Rancho Palos Verdes. It was at a fancy wedding chapel surrounded by redwoods and he was one of the wedding guests.

The only memory I have now was seeing Charlton Heston sitting on a bench reading a book between shots (I didn't approach him, of course) and smoking a cigarette on the periphery of everything when John James came over with his own cigarette and we had one of those "ah, another smoker" small talk conversations. Wish I could remember more but I'd completely forgotten that day entirely until I saw it onscreen.

Anyway, here's the chapel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 9, 2021 3:08 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 129April 9, 2022 5:17 AM

I always got kick out of the fact that Pamela Sue Martin was so beloved as Fallon.

She was the worst actress ever--she was not only uncomfortable saying lines but she also always seemed stoned. Yet, she WAS that character. Emma Samms (who could be a better actress than martin ever was when the occasion demanded it) seemed absolutely nothing like trampy, bitchy, lovable Fallon.

by Anonymousreply 130April 9, 2022 5:32 AM

[quote]R61 Why was Pamela Sue Martin so opposed to reprising Fallon?

It’s hard for “normal” people who fantasize about living the life of a star to grasp… but once the daily/yearly nuts and bolts of it’s been experienced, not all actors want to continue forever.

Martin had been a model and an actress since her teens. After over a decade in the entertainment industry she might have welcomed getting off the treadmill… or at least not relished the idea of signing another long contract.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 9, 2022 5:49 AM

I just started to watch Dynasty from the beginning for the 1st time - no spoilers please!! - but at what point should I stop watching? Season _____ episode ____?

I'd like to avoid seeing it jump the shark, which it probably did several times, I'd imagine, after so many years on the air. There were tv movies too, right? Is it worth watching all the seasons to get to those?

Honestly, I find most of the characters quite awful, and the "glamour" pretty underwhelming. These are all awful people and there's little romance to cling to.

by Anonymousreply 132April 9, 2022 6:06 AM

My favorite scene in the credits in the tacky, unglamorous disco they show next to Claire Yarlett. I can't even remember her character on the show--she was barely on it.

by Anonymousreply 133April 9, 2022 6:42 AM

Two words: EMMA! SAMMS! Obsessed with her then, still love her now.

by Anonymousreply 134April 9, 2022 7:10 AM

I think Emma Samms had the hardest soap job in the 80s. Not only was she tasked to fill two of the biggest shoes in the soap business. Producers made it extra hard by turning her character 180 degrees into something completely different. The only aspect they kept was the name, nothing else. She was doomed to fail. She couldn't meet anybody's expectations because she had nothing to work with. When the writing started to return to the original Fallon again (Dynasty S9), Samms was instantaneously better and the character interesting again.

Btw, I call b/s on Tori Spelling being the one proposing Samms for Fallon in a way that she is responsible for the miscast. Samms had name recognition, and there was an opening. The screw-up was done by production. Production retooled a character beyond recognition, probably because 'Amanda' had already filled the vacancy of 'difficult daughter'.

by Anonymousreply 135April 9, 2022 1:41 PM

"the Colbys" was almost doomed to fail. It just wasn;t very original, and was almost completely like the original show.

Crusty, craggy, old-fashioned patriarch? Check!

Snarky, slutty British bitch of an (ex-)wife? Check!

Architecturally uninteresting large mansion! Check!

Trashy pretty daughter? Check!

The only things it had ggoing for it that were different were Barbra Stanwyck (who was too old) and Maxwell Caulfield's hot body paraded around in tight polo outfits and short shorts.

by Anonymousreply 136April 9, 2022 2:53 PM

R135 the first season is intellectual but dry. The second season is fabulous in every single way, and one of the best single seasons of TV ever produced.

Seasons 3-5 are increasingly ridiculous, but good trashy fun and the height of 80s excess. Watch thru the finale of season 5, and then stop.

6 thru 8 are mostly skippable. Season 9 is quite good, but optional.

by Anonymousreply 137April 9, 2022 7:36 PM

Oops, that was meant to be a reply to r132.

by Anonymousreply 138April 9, 2022 7:36 PM

Stephanie Beacham was my only reason to watch.

by Anonymousreply 139April 9, 2022 7:38 PM

I still pronounce Denver in Emma Samms' mangled American accent " I'm back in Dehn-Vurrr"

by Anonymousreply 140April 9, 2022 9:51 PM

I just don't understand how someone can recast an American actress with one that has a foreign accent.

by Anonymousreply 141April 9, 2022 10:20 PM

"Stephanie Beacham is marvelous -- she nails both the soap campiness and manages to squeeze in actual emotion, which Joan Collins never was able to do. "

Not being a thespian, can you tell me why? I have to say Joan Collins always looks dead behind the eyes when she acts.

by Anonymousreply 142April 9, 2022 10:53 PM

R130 Martin was no Streep, but to say Samms was better than her is ludicrous. Samms couldn’t even pull off a convincing American accent. Granted Fallon on the Colby’s was like Kirby on Dynasty, but Kathleen Beller at least made Kirby likable. Samms was hated by fans and critics completely through her most of her run (improved somewhat in the last season, but by then viewers and critics gave up on the show). She should’ve never got near the show, and I think producers really regretted her casting. They tried to get Martin back at least twice. They knew Samms sucked.

by Anonymousreply 143April 9, 2022 11:04 PM

Enough with the accent. Who cares what accent a character has?

by Anonymousreply 144April 10, 2022 12:18 AM

R137 r138 thanks for the advice. What about reunion movies...they had those, right? Was there a decent ending to the franchise or did they peter out? No spoilers again...just your opinion please, thanks ;)

I immediately noticed Matthew was bumped for season 2 and wondered why, since he was clearly being established as Blake's blue collar rival. The actor was a bit bland but still. I actually liked the season 1 plot with his rig and his lovable mustachioed partner. Surprised they dropped it all...except his annoying daughter. Christ! The waterworks! She had to go. But the Poor Me suicidal wife? Her they keep? Huh?

And Steven not being permitted to show grief over Ted??? Are you kidding me? I realize the 80s were homophobic but why show him to be a sweet man then kill him and make Steven practically mute in response? Bullshit.

Blake raped Crystal (I hate how they fucking spell her name) and called Steven a faggot and then accidentally (hmm) murdered his boyfriend. Please tell me eveyone hated Blake in the 80s. He's AWFUL.

And don't get me started on Crystal. Why the fuck is she claiming to love this man? I don't see it. I see her walking around with a robotic smile and that insane hair...but nothing remotely resembling love. Yet she doesn't claim to want his money either so....???!? What's the appeal?

Wayne Northrop was a HOTTIE in season 1. Good for you, Roman.

Heather Locklear just showed up so I think it's going to get good. Except for that crazy monologuing doctor. Dude STFU.

Personally, I want Steven to openly fuck Jeff by the pool.

...just me?

by Anonymousreply 145April 10, 2022 5:45 AM

R145 there was only one reunion movie in 91 and it only served to tie up the cliffhanger from 89. Poorly written and pretty bad. Forsythe hated the script, but decided to do it mostly for the bucks I’m sure. After the first season, it became more of glorification of the rich. That’s why the middle class characters were dropped. They did keep Bellwood who was amazing in her role.

by Anonymousreply 146April 10, 2022 3:21 PM

R145 I wouldn't say "peters out." Rather, I'd say "violently and enthusiastically hurls itself over the shark" after season 5.

by Anonymousreply 147April 10, 2022 5:36 PM

R145 They did Steven dirty. You'll never ever be satisfied with how they portray his homosexuality. Season 1 was honestly the best they did at it, and even there it wasn't great.

by Anonymousreply 148April 10, 2022 5:38 PM

and that was before they pulled a Will and Grace with Steven

by Anonymousreply 149April 10, 2022 5:40 PM

[quote]After the first season, it became more of glorification of the rich

R146 Agreed... when they started, they wanted to satirize the rich, but they go in the complete opposite direction and celebrate the rich instead. It's quite a fascinating transformation -- you would not see something like that happen in 2022, but they changed with America as it transitioned from malaise to excess.

by Anonymousreply 150April 10, 2022 5:51 PM

R150 plus Martin hated the shift in the show. And Collins getting all the juicy lines and dialogue Pamela used to get with a progressively watered down Fallon before she left.

by Anonymousreply 151April 10, 2022 9:51 PM

[quote] [R130] Martin was no Streep, but to say Samms was better than her is ludicrous.

Read my statement again: I didn't say she was better than her [italic]as Fallon.[/italic] I said she was on occasion the better actress, by which I meant she was better when she played Holly on "GH" than Fallon ever was as an actor. As I said in my post, Samms neevr seemed to have any sort of handle on Fallon as a character--she was a washout in the role.

by Anonymousreply 152April 10, 2022 10:32 PM

Interesting. Thanks everybody!

R148 yeah I was getting the impression season one was being "bold" in a way later seasons would double back on. I'm reminded a bit of how the later Melrose Place started off sane and sensitive and then became increasingly bonkers and ridiculous. The humanity was squeezed out.

Its a shame...they could have still kept all this focus on the rich and shown Matthew dealing with new found wealth in season 2...and then giving it up and exiting the show.

It definitely seemed like Crystal was going to be a POV character in the mansion, but poof - gone. Who could relate to her?

Matthew must have been a controversial character when the show debuted. I hate seeing them depict him as tortured while everyone around him calls Ted at best "his...friend" and at worst someone with a "deviant lifestyle". Blake talking about only catimg that he gets his style "straightened out" is infuriating. YOU'RE the bigot murderer who raised his wife! Maybe fuck off?

Bellwood was Mrs Matthew? The breakdown mom? Yeah...not loving her at all. Its awkward that she stayed to be an excuse for Blake's redemption or whatever.

I'm weirdly dreading the catfights. I watched a few online years ago and while they were campy they felt hollow as hell too. Seeing the series Jerry Springer itself for ratings is depressing.

Who are y'alls favorite characters? I assume Alexis. (Again avoid spoilers please.) I kinda like Fallon and Steven. Cecil is cool too.

by Anonymousreply 153April 10, 2022 10:42 PM

Typos**

only caring

The bigot murderer who raped his wife.

by Anonymousreply 154April 10, 2022 10:44 PM

R152 the woman can’t act. Even on occasion. Her speaking voice is down right horrible. What exactly was the difference between Holly on GH, that presumably she brought all this subtext and nuance to, and Fallon for the duration she played her? I would bet little to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2022 12:20 AM

R153 just have fun with it…. You really can’t take it too seriously.

The first cat fight is the best one. It’s definitely campy, but it also has a deeper level beyond camp value. They have diminishing returns after that, but they’re always fun.

by Anonymousreply 156April 11, 2022 6:09 AM

Will there be a Miles or Sable on (new) Dynasty? There's already a Monica Colby, but she's Jeff full (non-half) sister and their mother is Dominique Devereux!!! WTF!!!

by Anonymousreply 157April 11, 2022 10:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!