Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matt Bomer and Chris Messina in the Sinner on Netflix

Bomer is so beautiful. SO BEAUTIFUL. Those eyes. I had forgotten. Why isn't he in more things? And he has real sexual chemistry with Messina. Hope they make out.

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2021 2:39 AM

I watched the first two for Pullman who is always fun, and MB really is good in this role which requires a few more dramatic layers than some of his previous work.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2021 6:53 PM

yes, great eyes

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2021 6:55 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but the consensus I saw was that Bomer's season wasn't as good as 1 and 2.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2021 6:56 PM

R3

I just started, and it's great so far. Mainly because of the acting. Pullman, Messina and Bomer are all excellent. Surprised by Bomer, had no idea he could act.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote] I watched the first two for Pullman who is always fun, and MB really is good in this role which requires a few more dramatic layers than some of his previous work.

I've never seen him display ANY dramatic layers

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 7:20 PM

I watched the first 2, but couldn't make it past a couple of episodes of this one. From what I've heard, I didn't miss much.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2021 7:24 PM

Bomer has narrow shoulders and birthing hips. Very feminine body IMO.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2021 7:34 PM

So is the series worth watching? Are Bomer and Messina not on it until the third season?

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2021 7:37 PM

Love Bomer and he is so nice on the eyes but they ruined Season 3. The first couple of episodes are great but after that its hmmmm. I hope Season 4 is better. The premise this time as to why? is weak unlike the previous season1 and 2.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2021 7:38 PM

Gonna piggyback on this thread to recommend Doom Patrol, the BEST superhero series on tv. And Bomer is fantastic in it. Some really fine dramatic work in his limited episodes. The whole cast is great but he is exceptional in the scenes with his son. And it's nice to see a well-rounded gay character on tv.

It's on HBO Max. Go watch it, it's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2021 7:53 PM

R8

it's worth watching. the first season is prob the best, but I really enjoyed 3 too. And yes it's a new cast every season so you can dive right into 3.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2021 7:55 PM

R6 the resolution is kinda dumb but have to say the acting in the last episode is top-notch. worth it.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2021 8:16 PM

R9 what did you think of his performance in the last episode though? despite everything I found myself feeling for him, and I think that was just because of Bomer and Pullman's acting.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2021 8:18 PM

Has anyone finished the season because I have Questions of the spoilery kind

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2021 8:22 PM

I am on the first episode but Bomer looks like sexy Harry Potter with the hair and the scar

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2021 9:19 PM

I have finished the season R14 (watched all of them previously). I thought it was fantastic. I had more questions than answers at the end; but that's more on the writers. Bomer and Messina were excellent; Pullman is always good.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2021 9:24 PM

S3 sucked donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2021 9:24 PM

Bomer was excellent as well as the entire cast this season. The acting carried this season, because the writing was deeply flawed. I agree about his work with Messina and Pullman, but his work with the young girl and Fitz Henley who played his wife were really powerful and moving. I especially liked the scene in the end between Jamie and Leela with no dialogue , so emotionally resonant.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2021 9:46 PM

R16 is it ok if I ask a few spoilery questions here?

SPOILERS AHEAD I am confused by the psychic angle. Were we supposed to think that there was an actual paranormal presence haunting Jamie? Because otherwise how does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2021 9:49 PM

R18

I agree, that scene got to me. Even his acting in the last episode is heart-wrenching. Despite everything he got me to feel for a character that I honestly would not understand or sympathize with on paper. Acting>>>>>>>>>>Writing. The only weak spot for me was Susan from Friends, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2021 9:51 PM

I enjoyed that season, but I think I ended up more confused than anything re: the nature of Bomer and Messina's relationship. They were just really close, homoerotic buds with a deathwish?

They should have just made them former boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2021 9:58 PM

I had problems with S3 because Bomer's character is completely unlikeable, and a GIANT DOUCHEBAG. The extended adolescence of a Nietzschean superman - barf. I mean really. The acting was all good. The last episode only works because Bomer's eyes are so mesmerizing. But can't redeem the character in any way, as it had already gone to hell with bad conception and writing.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote]Doom Patrol, the BEST superhero series on tv. And Bomer is fantastic in it.

I concur on both counts, though the show itself gets points knocked off for showing every single other character having sex on screen, including background characters, except the gay guy. Matt Bomer's work on Doom Patrol is often voiceover work, by the way - it's some other guy in the costume when he's bandaged. But it's very consistent for the scenes where he doesn't have bandages, and the role is very much against type for him.

[quote]They should have just made them former boyfriends.

Oh... they weren't supposed to be that? Now I'm confused, too.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2021 9:58 PM

its the homoeroticism of classical tropes. they don't need to be fucking. They are intellectually and spiritually fucking. quite lame, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2021 10:00 PM

R22

see, I actually liked the ending because after everything it turns out he didn't actually believe in any of that, nor did he get the "release" or whatever Messina's character got. He threw away his life for nothing. It's tragic in that he let this other person destroy him completely and got nothing in return. He was just weak. The show makes a point of telling us he never gets angry and he blames himself for even his wife's affair. He was the perfect victim for Messina to impose his ridic philosophy on. And I think a lot of the idiots who idolize Nietsche are like Jamie.

Of course, that whole psychic thing makes no sense to me because I don't know how that would work. If Jamie was literally being haunted, that would make for a very different show.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2021 10:03 PM

Couldn't have said it better, R22. It wasn't anywhere as good as seasons 1 & 2. From a writing (not acting) standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote]Why isn't he in more things?

Because he is a weak actor, and a duckling.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2021 10:10 PM

R24, it was very Ryan Gosling and Michael Pitt in "Murder by Numbers." Homoerotic, with allusions to some level of gay attraction but rather straight-washed in the end.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2021 10:13 PM

They did say they hooked up once and didn't like it. They had to address the elephant in the room, lol. Messina and Bomer had really intense chemistry though.

Wasn't that ex-student Lola from gossip girl

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2021 10:16 PM

R19, as R25 and R22 have said, the concept of the Nietzchean Ubermensch in Jamie's mind, we are led to believe, makes him think Nick COULD be haunting him. But in all honesty he really doesn't believe this himself. He wants to, maybe? He wants to test himself? Nothing makes him happy. I also think they (Jamie and Nick) were in love with each other and didn't want to admit it; it didn't work because they didn't want to let it.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2021 10:16 PM

His eyes say the lights are on but nobody's home. Handsome in a bland, generic way but, not hot or sexy to my mind though I certainly wouldn't kick him out of bed and he certainly couldn't be accused of acting up a storm.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2021 10:16 PM

R30

so how did that unfortunate psychic or medium or whoever he was pick up on Nick's presence and message? That has me flummoxed.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2021 10:19 PM

Why would he destroy the lives around him if he didn't believe? That would mean he is equally psychotic as if he was a destroyer who did believe. Either way, a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2021 10:22 PM

it just seemed like rehashed, treacly adult update on The Secret History

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2021 10:23 PM

He wanted to believe. He wanted to think that he was special, that there was a difference between him and the other phonies. He wanted to think there was an external reason for his sadness. Nick fed that delusion. But ultimately it turns out that he was just like everyone else.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if Pullman hadn't got involved. If he had got away with the first accident. Because that is the only sympathetic thing he does. Maybe he wouldn't have been sent down this road.

Honestly, I get what you mean. On paper there is nothing to endear me to this character. Yet somehow Bomer made me feel for him. I am happy he got his comeuppance but I can see the tragedy of it too. I sorta get why Pullman was drawn to him. Honestly Pullman's character frustrated me more than anyone. He made the most ridiculous choices.

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2021 10:28 PM

Did you see the creepy scene where he strips naked in front of the photographer lady? All I can say is his ass has seen better days.

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2021 10:30 PM

Are you the jealous twat who has tried in vain to get "duckling" to stick? Bomer is a beauty. His ass is fine. He's 43. Post your nudes, you annoying cunt.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2021 10:32 PM

R36 well he had lost 30 pounds by then to show Jamie's descent into madness.

His ass seems to have bounced back in the boys in the band which he shot after this

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2021 10:33 PM

You have to be blind to think Bomer has birthing hips. Some people here are jealous!

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2021 10:33 PM

yeah that one cunting troll who's already ready with snark about Bomer's looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2021 10:37 PM

R32 I can't explain that one either. It's a red herring.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2021 10:41 PM

R30 I think the show jumped the shark for me, when Jamie killed the psychic. It went from being a psychological exploration to a supernatural one. It was as if the writers just gave up midstream. The writers never gave us a credible explanation for Jamie’s mental issues. Leela makes some vague references to something about his father.. We never understand what is tormenting him, where the hallucinations and delusions stem from. Without that his relationships seem superficial and contrived. Bomer’s acting brings a depth and connection to a character that is only half written. He literally carries the show with his performance.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2021 11:26 PM

I also think that Jamie's self-destructive nature was supposed to mirror something in Pullman's character (Ambrose? I forget). This season went way more into the detective's own personal issues than previous seasons. Why is he drawn to Jamie? because he recognizes that sense of hopelessness in himself. As Pullman said in an interview, this season oscillates between hope and hopelessness.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2021 11:30 PM

R10 Could not agree more about Doom Patrol. Danny Patrol was one of the best episodes ever. Mingus and Bomer were pure perfection in their rendition of People Like Us, by Kelly Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2021 11:43 PM

R44

i love that cover! More than the original tbh

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2021 12:35 AM

when did USA stop doing the happy blue sky shows? I miss White Collar.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 1:23 AM

why didn't this season get any acting nominations?

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2021 1:49 AM

R47, I thought Bomer's acting was good, and outside of the Boys in the Band remake, I'm not familiar with his other work (besides being a pretty and openly gay face).

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2021 5:57 AM

I think I watched it up until the psychic episode. I don't remember finishing the season, and I don't think I want to. I have to give my dog a flea dip.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2021 12:00 PM

Bomer's acting was excellent, and I love that he got to play such a dark character. Unfortunately the writing wasn't really good.

And I agree that Doom Patrol is absolutely amazing. I'm not the sentimental type but Larry's arc with his boyfriend made me teary eyed.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2021 2:08 PM

I just looked up matt on twitter because of this thread and saw a crazy calling him evil for having three sons as a gay man. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2021 4:26 PM

R48 You haven't seen the Normal Heart? I highly recommend white collar, it's on hulu and has Matt at his absolute prettiest best.

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 4:27 PM

R22

why do you hate Jamie so much? He was a kind, interested teacher, a good husband. Apart from Nick's influence, what made you hate him?

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2021 5:46 PM

hardeeharhar R53

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2021 5:48 PM

R54 ?

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2021 5:53 PM

It's official, OP is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2021 5:57 PM

R56

fine I'll bite, why am I an "official" troll?

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2021 6:19 PM

R52, that movie has been on my To Watch list for years now. One of these days I'm going to get around to watching it when I'm in the mood for sadder/heavier themes.

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2021 6:44 PM

You are a troll or an imbecile for writing the post at R53. Jamie Burns is an evil douchebag to multiple characters in the plot and a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 59February 10, 2021 6:55 PM

R59

I actually agree that by the end of the series there is nothing at all redeemable about him. I cheered on his death. I just think there are aspects of him that are likable, pre-accident.

Also, Nick is clearly in love with Jamie, right? There is no other explanation.

by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2021 6:58 PM

What is your diagnosis? Your timeline in your own thread on your viewing of this show doesn't make sense. I trolldared your MULTIPLE posts. Give it a rest, honey.

by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2021 7:01 PM

R61

it's just a discussion about a stupid show why must you ruin everything with your weird intensity nick

by Anonymousreply 62February 10, 2021 7:18 PM

deflecting

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2021 7:21 PM

anyway, was anyone else even more irritated with the detective than jamie? none of his choices made any sense to me. why was he so hot and cold on jamie?

and he seemed genuinely sad at the end. why?

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2021 7:59 PM

I saw this some months ago, but I remember thinking there were some odd daddy-and-son dynamics going on between Bomer's and Pullman's characters.

by Anonymousreply 65February 10, 2021 8:01 PM

Is there peen?

by Anonymousreply 66February 11, 2021 12:22 AM

R66, no.

by Anonymousreply 67February 11, 2021 1:57 AM

What the fuck, I finally watched this shit and they didn’t even kiss. There was no sexual tension between them at all. They were just two fucking buddies. I could’ve sworn someone told me the characters were supposed to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 68February 12, 2021 1:27 AM

I mean they couldn’t even give us something with the college flashback? I would’ve had them in that dorm room flip fucking, just going to town on each other’s asses in a five minute scene of deviant teenage debauchery.

by Anonymousreply 69February 12, 2021 3:30 AM

R69 watch doom patrol, they Bomer at least makes out with his bf a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 70February 15, 2021 6:15 PM

Does Bomer show his ass?

by Anonymousreply 71February 15, 2021 6:52 PM

[quote]They did say they hooked up once and didn't like it.

But you never learn if that was actually true or not since he lies to people to obscure their relationship. It's possible he said it to his wife just to get her to stop asking questions about why their relationship was so intense and the aggression was coming from Messina's character.

That was one of the points of the whole season: they're challenging your ideas of masculinity.

Jamie is going to chaperone the LGBT club. Jamie gets upset in his mind because people think Jamie and Ambrose the detective are a couple. Other people assume that there is something sexual there including the other detective. People make random side negative gay comments about Jamie/Ambrose/Nick. Jamie's wife thinks something weird had gone on between Jamie and Messina's character. There's a woman painter that paints men nude so she can really "see" their vulnerability but none of it is sexual. Then you have Jamie and Abrose's relationship.

IIRC from the interviews I saw at the time this season came out: the two men are close, they're basically soulmates but their closeness isn't sexual. You, the audience, are making it sexual because society won't let two men have friendships and be close without people assuming sex is involved. They never say "toxic masculinity" but they're clearly talking about it. Since that leads both characters down a murderous path.

There's also no reason not to think the psychic didn't actually speak to Chris Messina's character which is a weird loose end to leave which leaves the possibility that he was being haunted. In the end though, the acting was solid but the writing was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 72February 15, 2021 7:10 PM

I know I'm tearing him down, but his face is gorgeous but when you see the side profile it's a bit odd. He is still a gorgeous man but his acting is that of a daytime soap opera. It gets most of the job done but his face can't seem to move past pretty boy looks and show some deep emotions. This is why we don't see more of him op. His face doesn't emote, just stares at you like a human Alaskan Husky (the eyes).

All that said I enjoy his work when he's in a supporting role and would kill to have him as a husband. As an actor, he's just decent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 15, 2021 7:35 PM

R73 He does have a weird profile, like the shape of his head is too square or something. It looks unusual, and this is the first time I hear someone else mention it. But from the front his face is absolutely perfect.

by Anonymousreply 74February 16, 2021 1:50 AM

From the front, he's almost perfect in an enchanting way. Then when I see the side of him, which this show decided to show a lot of his profile, the spell wears off. It's glaring to go from perfect symmetry to an imperfect profile. I don't want to knock the guy, but it's something I've always noticed when I see him.

Then again, I need to check myself because I could very easily be trying to tear him down for his looks and perfect looking life. Imagine going through life looking like him. Must have been amazing back in his 20s when he was a horny young thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 16, 2021 3:48 AM

R72 "people think Jamie and Ambrose the detective are a couple." remind me about this please, it completely escaped me

by Anonymousreply 76February 17, 2021 4:30 AM

Jeez, I misread this thread title as Matt Bomer and Chris Messina in the Shower.

by Anonymousreply 77February 17, 2021 6:20 PM

I thought Matt did an incredible job of being pathetic, heartbreaking, a completely normal guy, and an psychopathic asshole. I cried at the end.

I was going to start a thread on this show because I wanted to know if anyone else got as annoyed with the characters’ choices as much as I did? Without spoiling anything, Sonya towards the end makes the stupidest choice and yeah, yeah, it’s Hollywood, but UGH!! I wanted to slap her face so hard.

Am I alone in this neurosis? Well, am I?

by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2021 7:35 PM

Agree R78, the acting was great, but watching the characters make dumb choices again and again was really frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2021 8:32 PM

I binge-watched this on Netflix over the President's day weekend. I agree that Bomer's acting was remarkable (and I wish I had his profile and ass however "imperfect"). I think the problem with the show is indeed the writing. These 8 episode miniseries just string things out and drop little surprises in the way. It started out very interesting with a possibly closeted married man with a dark friendship/love affair in his past that comes back to haunt him. Chris Messina was mesmerizing as Nick. Bomer was hinting at all sorts of secrets and twisted stuff. But as it progressed the plot backed off from these interesting dangerous choices and became a psycho-melodrama of the slasher movie type.

I also was perplexed by casting younger actors as the college age Jamie and Nick - the Nick was taller and nowhere near as arresting as Chris Messina and the younger Jamie was nowhere near as pretty as Bomer. It was like they were two different people back then. I don't think that Chris Messina can play 19 or 20 but Bomer with lighting, makeup and different hair still could play a college student.

SPOILERS AHEAD: the first murder made sense as something that a good person (which Jamie seems to be) might be pushed to do in extremes to save his own life and humanity.

However, there is a hint with the psychic that somehow once dead, the psychopathic and possible serial killer Nick not just haunts but possibly possesses Jamie's soul. Because from the point where Jamie commits the second murder of the psychic/medium guy in Greenpoint, Brooklyn Jamie/Bomer basically turns into Freddy Krueger with GQ model looks. I mean by the last episode he is going to kill the very person who he had pulled the emergency brake to prevent Nick from killing in the first episode. How does Jamie evolve from Mr. English Teacher/Expectant Dad to Freddy Krueger without the ski mask? Other than the very undeveloped psychic/supernatural/possession? angle - there is nothing in the writing of the character which explains the killing spree that ensues.

Also the Nietzsche ubermensch shit and Jamie's whole "Like Sucks and then You Die - What is the Purpose of It ALL???" existential crisis is basically adolescent angst that is embarrassing in a nearly 40-year old man who clearly is extensively well read. The middle-school pseudo-intellectual philosophy is simplistic and puerile. Bomer made me believe in the angst and the mental confusion so yes, acting trumped writing here. Also, almost every character except for the wife behaved extremely stupidly: Ambrose made decisions (inviting a suspected killer to his home which becomes a nearly fatal mistake in the last episode) that should have gotten him fired.

by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2021 9:34 PM

BTW: there is a semi-forgotten movie called "Apartment Zero" with Colin Firth and Hart Bochner which has some parallels with the third season of "Sinner". Colin Firth is this closeted fussy gay guy who runs a revival house movie theater in Argentina. He needs a roommate and who shows up but hunky, Brando-esque mystery man, Hart Bochner who turns out to have mysterious and sinister ways. Worth watching if not a perfect film and very homoerotic.

by Anonymousreply 81February 23, 2021 10:20 PM

To put into perspective how laughable it is, backstory of Nick & Jamie is basically the origin story of Garth & Randy from GARTH MARENGHI’S DARKPLACE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2021 11:58 PM

Watching this now. I didn't know Bomer was capable of such range. I buy him as straight, but i agree there should have been a former lovers angle between Jamie and Nick. Bill Pullman never disappoints. Worth a watch. Only 8 short episodes.

by Anonymousreply 83August 7, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote] IIRC from the interviews I saw at the time this season came out: the two men are close, they're basically soulmates but their closeness isn't sexual. You, the audience, are making it sexual because society won't let two men have friendships and be close without people assuming sex is involved.

Really, R72?

Babe...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 7, 2021 11:48 PM

I'm confused.

I only watched the first two episodes of The Sinner, and never watched again after that.

I thought the Matt Bomer character was supposed to be married to a woman, and straight?

What's this about Matt Bomer and Chris Messina having sex?

Does anyone here have the patience to briefly explain?

by Anonymousreply 85August 7, 2021 11:49 PM

R85 Bomer is married to a woman who is pregnant and gives birth during the series. Messina plays Nick, an old friend of Jamie, played by Bomer. They have a bizarre "spiritual" connection over a game they played. There was chemistry between them, but they were portrayed as platonic friends. Once in college, they experimented together, and didn't enjoy it. There is no scene of it, just a mention.

by Anonymousreply 86August 8, 2021 12:28 AM

Thanks, R86.

by Anonymousreply 87August 8, 2021 1:19 AM

R80, I think the "Nietzsche ubermensch shit" is meant to be an allusion to Leopold & Loeb, and the questions that case raised about the malevolent influence of one personality on another. This season now sounds more interesting than I first thought when I started reading about it.

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2021 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!