Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stephen King's "The Talisman" being made by Spielberg's Amblin after 35 years

It will be directed by 'Handmaid's Tale' Director Mike Barker.

The journey from page to screen all started when Steven Spielberg became mesmerized by an early copy of the work-in-progress by King, who was then most famous for The Shining and The Stand, and Straub, best known for his novel Ghost Story.

He was so determined to adapt it that he got Universal Pictures to buy him the rights forever — not just an option to adapt, which would have expired after a few years. “It’s something that I’ve wanted to see come to theaters for the last 35 years,” Spielberg said.

For a long time, Spielberg considered directing a film version of the 944-page novel, then he planned to only produce.

About a decade ago, Amblin developed it as a six-hour TNT miniseries, adapted by The Skeleton Key and new live-action Dumbo screenwriter Ehren Kruger. “At that time it was just too rich for TNT’s blood,” Spielberg said. “Then I pulled it back and decided to try to reconfigure it once again as a feature film.”

King and Straub got used to the stop-and-start nature of it. “Several times he came very close to making it, and there were a lot of discussions about that,” King said.

Now, at long last, Jack Sawyer’s journey seems to be destined for the screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2021 8:22 PM

On landing Mike Barker as director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2021 4:31 PM

Let's just hope they don't totally fuck it up like the ruined Dark Tower film. What a disaster that was.

Spielberg's stuff is usually pretty good so I have high hopes.

I'm very excited about this!

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2021 4:34 PM

The director did some of yhe great stuff a while back in the UK before totally screwing up with The Handmaid's Tale.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2021 4:50 PM

fuck them. I refuse to get excited over SK adaptations any more. Literally everything in the past decade by him on screen has been complete and utter shit at best and The dark tower at worst.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2021 4:53 PM

I know I read this, but I have no memory of it what-so-ever.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 4:56 PM

So a nice surprise then R5?

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2021 12:13 AM

Back when the book came out and they announced that they were going to make a movie I pictures Sean Astin as a good choice for Jack. Not so much now.

Will the third book ever come out - or get written?

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2021 12:16 AM

The better not fuck up Wolf. God, what a great character.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2021 8:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!