Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Columbus, OH - Gay Hot Spot?

I was reading that Columbus is a gay mecca, ranked top 15 best gay cities. I went down the rabbit hole and found these amazing apartments and lofts in German Village for around $1200. It seems like this area is the place to be. Exposed brick, modern kitchens. There is a really nice athletic club that has a beautiful gym and socializing. I'm an LA native, I've never been to the midwest or Columbus, but this looks interesting. It's so cheap. Any intel on Columbus? I feel like being good looking in LA would be like shooting fish in a barrel in Columbus - nice, down to earth guys. What's the catch? I read the weather isn't great.

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2021 11:46 PM

I grew up there and it was a homophobic nightmare. After I moved away, it became some kind of gay mecca. I guess that started before I left in the 90s sometime. HUGE pride parade and celebration.

But man, it's not really all that. Downtown is DEAD after 5pm and on the weekends. Some great restaurants, but a lot of mediocre ones. Way too many Republicans. My parents still live there so (excepting the year 2020) visit there once or twice a year. Very insular gay community... some hot college guys from Ohio State University around I guess if you're into that sort of thing. Pretty segregated, racially. LOTS of racism. Tons of strip malls everywhere.

It's got it's pluses and minuses, and it's probably better now than when I grew up there, but still, it ain't all that. The city is at the confluence of two rivers, and they've done NOTHING to capitalize on that... no river-walk, no nothing. It's kinda bleh. Tons of rah-rah "OSU Buckeyes Football" every fall.

I think someone from L.A. might get pretty bored with it pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2021 7:45 AM

It's bland, boring and surrounded by a sea of red. Besides the state capital and the university it's unremarkable. It's surpassed Cleveland as the largest city in Ohio and is relatively clean and newer. If you're coming from LA you will hate the winter and be bored out of your mind. I'd choose Charlotte, Ralegh, Alanta or Nashville before Columbus for better climates and similar cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2021 8:55 AM

I thought it was all gated communities with hidden streets to keep the riffraff away.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2021 9:00 AM

Ohio is such a shit hole state.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2021 9:12 AM

Columbus is culture-free. If you are into the bar scene, then it's fine, because that's all there is.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 1:09 PM

Cleveland is infinitely more interesting, both the gay community and the city in general. More diverse, more distinctive, more self-defined.

But Columbus is very middle-class comfortable, if that’s your thing. And there are some truly wonderful mid-to-high level restaurants to be found, whereas Cleveland's culinary niche is more in the realm of better than average bar food.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2021 1:22 PM

OP, you wouldn't fit in, at all. You're pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2021 1:30 PM

If you thought you were Hot In Cleveland

You and your caftans will be smokin' in Columbus

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2021 1:51 PM

From the pics, it looks really charming. It's ranked more gay friendly than Cleveland. I am imagine a friendly small town, inexpensive, cute victorian flats or brick cottages. Did someone say it has a good gay bar scene?

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2021 6:17 AM

Agree, it’s super boring. It’s got the biggest gay scene in Ohio, but that’s not saying much. If you must, the Short North is the area of town you should be looking to relocate.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2021 6:29 AM

"The city is at the confluence of two rivers, and they've done NOTHING to capitalize on that... no river-walk, no nothing."

Why are you lying? It only has one river, and it has manicured walkways (the Scioto Mile) lining it that are full of cyclists, joggers and scooters.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2021 8:05 AM

I haven't been down to Columbus Pride in nearly 20 years, but just from looking at High Street via Google Maps, I can't believe how much new development has occurred there over the years. Some friends of mine moved there in the late 90's in an area that I believe is known as "Short North". Their house is probably worth double what they paid for it now, it wasn't a great neighborhood at the time, but since then been revitalized.

There's some great gay bars/clubs, and their Pride celebrations are huge. Union Cafe is a great place to grab lunch/dinner and Axis Nightclub is a blast. They also do an annual drag baseball fundraiser called "Bat 'n Rouge".

It can be quite pricey though, I've seen apartments on High Street specifically going for like $3,500 per month which is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2021 12:34 PM

Didn't Columbus have three bathhouses in the not-to-distant past?

Not sure how many remain, if any, and if open during Covid.

Columbus Crew, their MLS team, just won the soccer championship. And hasn't the Nationwide Arena, built over 20 years ago and home to the NHL Blue Jackets, full of bars and liveliness on weekends?

And they have a AAA baseball team.

And doesn't Columbus have several Fortune 500 companies?

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2021 1:01 PM

i met me now ex of twenty years in Columbus at a gay swim meet in 2000.( i was the competitor)

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote]I was reading that Columbus is a gay mecca

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote] Why are you lying? It only has one river, and it has manicured walkways (the Scioto Mile) lining it that are full of cyclists, joggers and scooters.

WRONG.

The Olentangy River meets the Scioto River in Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2021 1:26 PM

Another vote for Cleveland > Columbus too. Much more interesting - and cheaper, more interesting homes. Cleveland has history, diversity, the waterfront, nice old neighborhoods and just an all-around more interesting vibe. Columbus seems like the DC of Ohio- striving professionals and college kids in a bland, homogenous if wealthier environment. Cleveland is more like Philly - gritty, working class and more “flavor”.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2021 3:03 PM

Columbus has gray skies more than half the year.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2021 8:49 PM

I moved from a small town in Western Ohio to Columbus this fall. I'm settled, and came from such a homophobic place, so it works for me. Honestly, just seeing a gay couple bag groceries at Aldi together made my day. But it's a boring place and feels like it has zero history. I'd take Cincy any day (even though it's kind of dirty and trashy) if it were more gay friendly, but alas, it is absolutely not. If you were settled and thinking about adopting a kid or two, I think Columbus would be a great place. Otherwise, no.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote]The Olentangy River meets the Scioto River in Columbus.

lmao at the queen who researched this!

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2021 9:30 PM

You don’t have to research it if you know the city. There actually is a (rather unimpressive) river walk there and a restaurant called Confluence Park.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2021 9:52 PM

gurl you live there?

well tell us more then.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2021 9:53 PM

A few years ago, I was in Columbus for work for about 3 weeks. I hooked up a LOT and went to the bathhouse several times. It was phenomenal - lots of cute guys.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2021 9:55 PM

I don’t, r22, but I used to. I’m in Cleveland now, but still travel down there to visit friends.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2021 9:56 PM

R17, much of Cleveland's gay bars/culture is scattered throughout neighborhoods that might freak out non-locals. Many of the gay bars in Cleveland are dive bars and located in sketchy areas. Unless you're familiar with the areas and the locals, it might not be someone's cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2021 9:58 PM

Columbus gays - in my mind what I am picturing Columbus to be is like a Queer as Folk version of Pittsburgh. A small diner where everyone knows your name, a few great gay bars, a nice gym, small town vibes, friendly, just everyday life. I could even get a sexy loft for 1500. I have never been to the midwest, so I might take a trip in March if the virus calms down a bit more in LA.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2021 11:56 PM

OP - did you ever manage to tour Columbus? What did you think?

My partner has just informed me that he has to work in Columbus temporarily for six months starting in January. Subsequently, if he does well with his Ohioan colleagues, it is likely to become a permanent transfer. At first, I assumed it was a joke, today being Columbus Day, but nope, it's real.

We're both from southern California, and we've never lived anywhere other than here. Given the posts above, Columbus doesn't sound like a great place to live. He loves his work, and frankly, it's the best job he’s had in the 10 years we've been together. I know it’s too soon to panic, but if it comes down to us moving there, it's gonna be a shitshow 'cause I can't see myself leaving L.A. for Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote] some hot college guys from Ohio State University around I guess if you're into that sort of thing.

Ewww, yuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 4:17 AM

Columbus is a hellhole of crime. And very few of them are solved. Shootings EVERY SINGLE NIGHT....Gay friendly? It depends on what you consider hot....We have a bathhouse. Tons of gay bars. Several Gay Parks (Helsel is probably the cruisiest with woods)--but rumors of police cameras in parks are out there--mostly because they installed "you are being monitored" signs at the parks...But we also have the Hillbilly Coalition and the GOP has taken over the state Senate--they have publicly promised to copy the Texas Abortion Laws. Governor DeWine has been in politics for 40 plus years and is a Trump lover. The schools are banning rainbows and transgendered rights and the AntiVaxxers are taking over. Arnold Shwartzengger comes to town every year for his Fitness Convention...(never seen the Hot Son here with him)...

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 8:29 AM

I fucked a priest in Columbus. All his priest friends were gay, but not sure if they were active. I see he has gotten quite fat now.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 8:37 AM

Columbus is dangerous. OSU rich parents are complaining because their little angles are getting robbed all over campus (and off campus). So THEY get better lighting and more security for coming home drunk at 3am.. 4 nights were NOT enough for the boozer students so their protection got expanded thanks to the whining parents...And the rest of us do not get special protection...LINK of mother who seems oblivious to the fact her kid should probably be HOME at a certain hour. Columbus is filled with crime. Come here and see for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 8:44 AM

What with the backlash growing against Christopher Columbus, they'll have to change the city's name.

Ohiopolis?

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 9:13 AM

R31 Sloppy angles. They deserved to be robbed.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 9:22 AM

Columbus suffers from having had no great wealthy patron during the era of the robber barons to fund first class museums as other cities had. Its art museum is a joke compared to the ones in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Toledo. Its orchestra performs in an old movie palace that isn’t designed for that sort of thing. No train system period. No subway, elevated trains, trolleys, or even Amtrak. The city seems terrified of building up. There’s been much development downtown in recent years, but mostly small boring apartments rather than skyscrapers or other impressive projects. The city has also become super trashy for some reason. The streets and sidewalks are just lined with litter.

On the plus side, there is a nice free metro parks system, some good bike trails, excellent public library system, world class zoo, and decent restaurants. People are pretty friendly. Hot college guys. Huge Pride.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 10:54 AM

South High cannot handle the bad traffic they already have and they are putting up new apartments--around the South Drive In....Ridiculous.. I went to the Walmart on S High and noticed it a couple of months ago. WTF? This is what Columbus does---they build and then worry about the traffic headaches another day. That's why some kids walk to school and there aren't even sidewalks for them (and Columbus just got sued for it)...The joke is on anyone who lives in these new hipster trash apts because your traffic commute is going to be a nightmare--and they won't tell you that at the rental office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 11:10 AM

Which Ohio city offers the highest percentage of men with 8+ inches.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 11:16 AM

[quote] Tons of strip malls everywhere

Like LA doesn't have the same thing? LA invented strip malls.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2021 11:21 AM

R34 I think Chicago is the only real subway in the Midwest. Detroit murdered theirs.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2021 11:36 AM

R35 So tell us what you got at Walmart!

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2021 11:38 AM

The Cleveland orchestra is world reknown. It tours the globe off season - plays Royal Albert Hall.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2021 12:52 PM

R39 = Thank You for asking. I got some hot shopping gossip. I went to get an electric blanket at walmart ---yes I know it's early---and when I got to the blankets department I was greeted with a giant locked case!!..It was empty and so I immediately found a low wage Walmart employee to explain it to me--and as the fancy dancy customer it is my right to be informed...Anyhoo...I was told the lock cases are new to keep people from stealing expensive blankets and pillows!!...So this is a thing now?.....The employee told me I was too early to find electric blankets this time of year so I told her to get lost while I absorbed this whole Blanket Lock Display Case..Anyways--I got some velcro. Cat Food.. House Slippers (six bucks!!)...Some Nyquil cold medicine (10 percent alcohol)...And some Chicken Enchiladas!!

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2021 4:05 AM

It's okay and deserves credit for making a lot of progress over the past few decades, and it's nice enough. But, it's not THAT great. If I had to live there, I could do fine, but I wouldn't choose to live there.

It may sound crazy, but I like Cleveland better.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2021 4:18 AM

Big Run Park is very cruisy in Columbus every time I have driven thru there. Off of Clime Road. It has a police station there close to the entrance. But I have never seen anyone get arrested there. Most guys drive all the way to the back of the park and go into the woods. There is also a racing track in the park you can only get to by walking. Love that area---it is great for exercise..

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2021 4:19 AM

Does anyone have any hot stories about the "back room" at A.W.O.L?

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2021 7:07 AM

The Columbus Zoo is going through a huge scandal right now and just lost its national certification R34.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2021 11:26 AM

Cleveland has one of the best symphonies in the world.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2021 11:28 AM

[quote] The Columbus Zoo is going through a huge scandal right now and just lost its national certification

Now we know why Jack Hanna retired suddenly. Looks like it wasn't all because of his diagnosis of dementia. Seems he and another guy there were buying animals from roadside animal collectors and people who were raising animals in their yards and presented them on TV as Columbus Zoo animals. Plus there were some missing funds, to the tune of over $600 thousand that zoo officials seem to have used for their own personal pleasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2021 11:41 AM

Columbus Daily Crime Report. Video. Car gets stolen. Pedestrian gets splattered and driven over. Good luck trying to find who did it because the only thing worse than being a crime victim in Columbus---is knowing whoever did it will get away with it...Visit Columbus Today!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 9:35 AM

R41 What are you going to do with the Velcro?????

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2021 11:25 PM

I really regret that I never got to go to the Tradewinds bar there as it seemed like the perfect venue for tiny umbrellas!

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2021 11:37 PM

Highball Gay Halloween is coming back this year. I am assuming the Covid is all gone in Columbus?....By the way--Video Clip---They hired THIS ugly male reporter and got rid of the hot gay reporter Mark Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2021 5:26 AM

I hear you R51. There need to be some more gay newscasters in Columbus to balance out all of us super straight bros. Diversity is important.

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2021 11:01 AM

Columbus used to be "America's test market" because the demographic was most like the rest of country.

Look at today's list and you can see what today's average American looks like.

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2021 11:36 AM

"Columbus ranked 10th in the country for increasing murder rates".......((today)))...Worse than getting murdered?.Knowing the Columbus Police are not going to solve it. Also robberies are really high too. Remember that when you visit. The crime is seriously out of control here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2021 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!