Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sia, facing backlash from autism community, deletes her Twitter account, adds disclaimer to 'Music

Sia's new film "Music" – which received two Golden Globe nominations on Wednesday – will now include a disclaimer before it starts as backlash from the autism community has mounted against it.

The movie features scenes with Maddie Ziegler's autistic character "Music" being restrained as a means to calm her down – something advocates have condemned. Ziegler's casting also angered the community as many had hoped to see an autistic actor in the role rather than a neurotypical person.

"MUSIC in no way condones or recommends the use of restraint on autistic people," the disclaimer will read, according to Variety and The Guardian. "There are autistic occupational therapists that specialize in sensory processing who can be consulted to explain safe ways to provide proprioceptive, deep-pressure feedback to help w meltdown safety."

Sia, who has since deleted her Twitter account, apologized and said the scenes will be removed "from all future printings," and that she "listened to the wrong people and that is my responsibility, my research was clearly not thorough enough, not wide enough."

USA TODAY has reached out to Sia, the film and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) for comment.

Zoe Gross, Director of Advocacy at the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, said in a statement: "MUSIC doesn’t just promote harmful stereotypes about autistic people – it shows restraints that have killed members of our community as necessary and loving acts. This film should never have been made, and it shouldn’t be shown."

Guy Stephens, founder and executive director of the Alliance Against Seclusion and Restraint, echoed those sentiments.

"Physical restraint is dangerous and can lead to significant trauma, serious injuries, and even death," he said. "There are far better ways to work with people that need compassion and support."

The movie, out next week, is Golden Globe-nominated for best motion picture, musical or comedy. Kate Hudson, who play's Music's older sister, is up for best actress in a musical or comedy.

In case you missed:Sia, after being criticized for ableism, defends portrayal of autism in new film

Social media users criticized singer Sia last year for not casting someone on the autism spectrum to play an autistic character, though she doubled down on her decision at the time.

"Several autistic actors, myself included ... We all said we could have acted in it on short notice. These excuses are just that- excuses," @HelenAngel wrote on Twitter. "The fact of the matter is zero effort was made to include anyone who is actually autistic."

"Maybe you’re just a bad actor," Sia wrote back. In another reply to the same tweet, she wrote: "You have no (expletive) idea because you weren’t there and haven’t seen the movie."

The singer-songwriter has heaped praise on 18-year-old Ziegler, an alum of Lifetime's "Dance Moms." Sia says the teen poured her heart into the role of Music, careful to portray the character in a respectful way.

The two previously worked together on Sia's single "Chandelier."

She regretted her response to criticisms later. "Looking back, I should have just shut up; I know that now," she told Australia's the Sydney Morning Herald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote] Sia, facing backlash from autism community, deletes her Twitter account,

That's so retarded

by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2021 7:04 PM

Twitter needs to be deleted from the internet. If an actual autistic person was cast, that would be exploitation.

by Anonymousreply 2February 5, 2021 7:05 PM

I AM NOT RETARDED!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3February 5, 2021 7:06 PM

She's been a mess ever since she left Zero 7

by Anonymousreply 4February 5, 2021 7:07 PM

L

I

T

E

R

A

L

V

I

O

L

E

N

C

E

!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2021 7:07 PM

I can't deal with this ABLEISM!! Cancel Rain Man!

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2021 7:08 PM

That cunt Kate Hudson stole my Globe nomination for this travesty.

by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2021 7:08 PM

Uh oh

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2021 7:09 PM

Everyone who still has a Twitter account should be thrown into a volcano. They are stupidest, most self-righteous mob on Earth and they should all be prosecuted for waging public harassment campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2021 7:18 PM

Decades ago I was the lobbyist for autism at the only national organization at the time. This was before they expanded the definition of autism to include almost everyone in the known universe - yes yes I exaggerate. But back then anyone with autism was severely developmentally disabled except for the rare outliers who were considered "high functioning." One of my interns was considerd high functioning and though she was a lovely young woman and smart in many ways, her autism was unmistakable and at times it was like working with a child. But a child perfectly capable of learning abd retaining knowledge and skills. She loved history. Like an obsession.

Because of the severity of the old autism disability definition and because it affected boys way more than girls, we had many parents who had to deal with very violent, logically unreachable, strong teenage boys and older. One of the issues some autism community critics have expressed is over the use of restraints. Although the best practice os to use the "least restrictive" form of restraint when necessary, the use of restraints was and probably still is a necessary "evil".

As for casting a person with autism, the environment of a film set contains many of the triggers that cause serious sensory issues for many including pain. Try getting insurance for that.

Though there were lovely parents involved, I have never met more crazy ones than the parents of autistic children. I get why because they were desperate and most of their lives were consumed and hellish. I tend not to keep up with the issue now cause it can burn you out but it just seems nowadays like some parents use their child's status as a bragging point and their child seems barely affected by it.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2021 7:38 PM

R10 thanks for insight. It’s such a complicated subject and reality for many people.

I think the main sentence that sticks out for me and sums up this whole event is “this film should never have been made”. Like, why would Sia feel that the most appropriate way for her to play out her own relationship with autism be to make it into a profitable enterprise via an entertainment medium. It’s so random.

Also agree with others, Twitter brings out the worst in people. Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2021 7:52 PM

[quote]parents who had to deal with very violent, logically unreachable, strong teenage boys and older.

True. We would have to taser Chris Burke when he'd start throwing props around, or pull out his penis and begin furiously masturbating.

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2021 7:57 PM

Hiss.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13February 5, 2021 8:12 PM

The internet was created by a lot of spectrum-y men and women who can’t deal with normal social interactions. So of course they live on it. And would communicate issues with a movie on it.

It’s like a snake eating its tail. This whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 14February 5, 2021 8:20 PM

R10. Was it Autism Speaks? Autism activists I know loathe that organization.

by Anonymousreply 15February 5, 2021 8:22 PM

How will Shia ever be held accountable now?

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2021 8:35 PM

While we're at it, why wasn't a special needs trans person of color cast in the lead?

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2021 8:38 PM

Speaking as someone awaiting a probably-positive Asperger’s diagnosis, I really don’t give a fuck about this and think the display of manufactured outrage is embarrassing as well as tone-deaf and alarmingly despotic.

One person’s experience of atypical neurology is completely unlike another’s. We don’t know what Sia has been through or how she feels the need to express herself, and it’s her right to do that. Thought-policing and censorship is never the answer to anything.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2021 8:46 PM

I read about this yesterday and I could not believe it. This is going to far. It's called acting. Can only cops play cops? Addicts or prostitutes play those roles? Do you have to be handicapable or blind for such a role?

How could an autistic actor have played Rain Man? What kind of crazy stuff is it to say - it should never have been made? So no representation on the big or small screen if the portray isn't by someone who lives it for real. Only cancer patients or survivors in some movies. Too bad all the holocaust survivors are dead, no more movies about anyone who went through that.

Only those who had covid can play any role about this pandemic when it comes out. And if the character died, well you are just out of luck. Story can't be told.

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2021 8:48 PM

Can Patti LuPone herself really be classified as neurotypical?

by Anonymousreply 20February 5, 2021 8:53 PM

Sia.... wouldn't wanna be ya!

by Anonymousreply 21February 5, 2021 8:53 PM

All of these manufactured first world problems are exhausting. Sia should have just ignored and blocked al the fucking “outraged” trolls. They are miserable cunts who will never be happy.

by Anonymousreply 22February 5, 2021 9:38 PM

Vid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2021 10:06 PM

Yes, like with that damn The Good Doctor, why not cast an autistic doctor instead?

by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2021 10:44 PM

Soon, we will see disclaimers like " do not put a knife to your wrist, you will bleed".

by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2021 11:57 PM

God, some people really have nothing to do with their time. I'm sure the movie sucks if Sia's involved but who the fuck cares who she cast in it?!

by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2021 11:58 PM

[quote]Ziegler's casting also angered the community as many had hoped to see an autistic actor in the role rather than a neurotypical person.

LOL - I wonder how they feel about that show The Good Doctor.

It's not really "acting" if you do this, is it - it's more akin to a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2021 12:09 AM

I feel like Kate's just playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2021 5:16 AM

South Park's disclaimer was ahead of its time in 1997.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2021 5:19 AM

STOP NEUROTYPICAL ACTORS FROM TAKING OUR ROLES!!!!!!!!

STOP IT!!!! NOT FAIR!!! THAT LITTLE WHORE MADDIE IS NOT AUTISTIC!!!! I AM AUTISTIC AND A BETTER ACTOR THAT THAT COOCHIE WHORE SLUT!!!

SIA YOU FUCKING CUNT WHAT ABOUT ME!!!! I CAN PLAY THAT ROLE WITH RESTRAINT!!!! YOU FUCKING BITCH!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2021 5:51 AM

Identity politics suck!

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2021 6:05 PM

Identity politics are for people who don’t have personalities. Also, if we went back to warehousing the autistic, all of this trans bullshit, all of the incel shooters, all of the absolute worst of humanity being celebrated on Twitter would end. Everything wrong with society right now is because we started pretending that autistic people aren’t fucking retarded and incapable of participating productively in society.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2021 6:11 PM

How about a moratorium on using disabilities as a plot device?

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2021 6:17 PM

Twitter really is the worst of the worst. No critical thinking skills whatsoever. It's like hearing from 6 years old most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2021 6:31 PM

Imagine casting by today's demands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2021 6:36 PM

This thread is very concerning

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2021 7:16 PM

R23

Wow, it’s not being well received at all. Look at the comments and dislikes.

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2021 10:45 AM

R32, and it’s more than that. We don’t have personalities anymore, we have diagnoses. I have a colleague who wears his Asperger’s (self) diagnosis like a badge. Conversations with another friend about characters in movies become discussions about what mental health issues a character might have. I’d say it’s crazy, except for the crazy people who say “crazy” is an “ableist slur.” (I still don’t understand why, if we don’t call the mentally ill crazy anymore, we can’t use the word to describe irrational behavior on the part of someone who should know better.)

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2021 11:33 AM

So it turns out that women are shit directors after all :P ?

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2021 11:35 AM

[quote]Twitter needs to be deleted from the internet.

Why does everyone on Datalounge sound like an elderly retiree with a lifelong, untreated personality disorder?

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2021 11:44 AM

[quote]Twitter brings out the worst in people

Not like Datalounge, right?

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2021 11:45 AM

[quote]They are miserable cunts who will never be happy.

and

[quote]Twitter really is the worst of the worst. No critical thinking skills whatsoever. It's like hearing from 6 years old most of the time.

and all the other proclamations about Twitter are giving me the biggest laugh I've had on DL in weeks. Imagine being on a forum that even on good days sounds like it's nothing a bunch of miserable, hateful bastards with untreated personality disorders and a felony record, and saying that Twitter is the real problem.

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2021 11:56 AM

Sia is a bit of a weirdo and very passive-aggressive. She’s bipolar and should do a film on that.

by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2021 12:36 PM

The problem with Twitter are the executives in Hollywood and corporate America who listen to it. They have created a monster much like the GOP with Trump and the Tea Party. They’ve emboldened these morons by giving in to them. They will regret it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2021 12:39 PM

[quote] South Park's disclaimer was ahead of its time in 1997.

Beavis and Butthead did that on 1993 and better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2021 12:40 PM

Why are you guys defending her?

Sis made her own bed. She tries so desperately to appear so “woke”. I hate white people like that. They’re always going out of their way to kiss minority ass even though they only hang out with white people. I’m a minority and I so easily see though that sort of bs. I’m fact, while white people go out of their way to be “woke” actual minorities see though that shot so easily. They only people that buy the “woke” bs are other rich spoiled white people.

These people deserve all the scorn they get.

She wants to be woke? Well that means doing every single little thing the extreme left on Twitter wants. If you don’t? Then get cancelled.

Play stupid games, win stupid prices.

by Anonymousreply 46February 7, 2021 1:11 PM

R35 Some people did bitch when Abigail Breslin played Helen Keller on Broadway

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 8:51 PM

“New film” when was she ever known as a film maker before? And part of the problem was she couldn’t see through that damn wig.

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2021 8:54 PM

At this point the list of subjects that don't offend are:

- Rocks

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2021 9:15 PM

It's not a fucking documentary.

by Anonymousreply 50March 1, 2021 9:40 PM

I eat piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles AND PILES of shit!

by Anonymousreply 51March 1, 2021 9:57 PM

From the 30-second clip they showed at the Globes last night, it looks absolutely awful

by Anonymousreply 52March 1, 2021 10:20 PM

Sia killed SOPHIE!!!

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 2:30 AM

Australians have never been known for their tact.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 3:33 AM

[quote]How about a moratorium on using disabilities as a plot device?

Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 3:44 AM

I remember a few years back when family guy had a show about Chris going out with a girl with Down’s syndrome and the show was getting criticized before it aired. The actress who played Chris’s date had Down’s syndrome and came out and said stop treating her like she was dumb and a child.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 4:03 AM

Crazy "Offended" by every single things génération.

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 4:04 AM

Twitter is the dustbin of humanity. And politicians, Hollywood give them power for exactly that reason. Another American invention that harms the entire planet.

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 4:06 AM

I have no sympathy for Sia. She is stupid for this. I get why people are annoyed by Twitter and cancel culture but I find it hard to defend Sia also. The outrage was not unwarranted.

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 4:09 AM

[quote] Twitter is the dustbin of humanity

Twitter is not the problem. It's the users. It got invaded by trolls and bots in past few years. When Tumblr got purged, it brought a lot of the toxic stans and SJWs to Twitter. Twitter used to be a regular social media site consisting of 120 word updates when it started in 2007 and it was mostly used by journalists, writers and people in the entertainment field. It's hard to believe what it would have turned into.

Facebook was garbage from the start and got progressively worse.

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 4:18 AM

There are tons of movies and shows about people with disabilities and people without disabilities who play characters with them. Yet people chose to make an example out of this particular film and honestly, I can sort of see why. Even without the autism controversy, the movie looks like silly, sappy, overly sentimental junk.

I get what she was going for with the bright colors and music. Autistic people have their own inner worlds and she tried to depict what she imagined that was like. But to me it comes across as awkward and not at all how it really is. And to be honest, I also think her obsession with Maddie Ziegler definitely dragged her down as well. She insists on using her in everything but she doesn't have the acting chops to take on a role like that so it comes across like she's mocking autistic people instead of being one.

I think Sia's heart was in the right place and she had good intentions, but she went about it all wrong. And the way she handled the criticism was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2021 4:46 AM

This is as retarted as the retards who started this brigade. These people are truly not right in the head. And before anyone comes after me with woke shit, austism is not an ideal. It's as much a privation as transgenderism and disability; the fact that they're all something that medical professionals scramble to treat should be enough a reason not to idealize these defects.

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2021 8:34 AM

The fucking retards fuming over this are cooky. They're nuts, I tell you! Nuts! With how the conversation about this issue with psychological health going, I can assure you that in five years, we will have regressed as a civilization even more.

(And this is coming from a fag who's on the spectrum himself.)

by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2021 8:43 AM

I started watching this movie and lasted about 15 minutes. It's just so bad. Never mind the anit-white-male-ness of it, but the way she portrays autism as some kind of retardation akin to Down's syndrome or severe cerebral palsy is positively idiotic and demonstrates her utter lack of insight into what autism is.

by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2021 10:06 AM

I made it through 30 minutes last night and shut it off. I think the whole flap on Twitter is ridiculous overwoke bullshit (and Sia should have not backed down and apologized after her initial comments telling everyone to basically fuck off). There's no way they would have gotten someone with autism to be able to do what the character of Music did. They'd still be on the set, five years later.

That being said- It's a dreadful movie filled with annoying characters. Music herself is the worst of them. Everyone (and I do mean everyone) treats her like she's something special, like she's on the cusp of curing cancer when in reality she's basically a meatloaf who gurgles and twirls. No one would give up their life to take care of her. She belonged in a home. Of course Kate Hudson's character is an alkie petty thief with no life, so she may as well plant herself in the apartment and let the SSI checks roll in, but then the filmmakers want her to grow and change. Again, over some drooling basket case.

by Anonymousreply 65March 11, 2021 9:16 PM

This thread is very comforting as a I learned today that a workshop I teach has too much reading, which must be almost totally eliminated so the course can be more neurodiverse. It's supposed to communicate a working knowledge of immigration law for HR people. Maybe we can play charades or use puppetry. I'm not aware of any complaints. The evaluations have all been outstanding. We do use videos, simulations, group discussion so it's not all reading.

Happy to hear from any educators who can justify this paradigm shift for an audience of college grads. I hate to be one of those trolls railing against diversity or identity politics or politically correct education but this feels like a kick in the stomach, inflicted by people with no expertise in the subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2021 2:45 AM

Maybe Sia can do a reimagining of The Day the Clown Cried

by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2021 2:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!