Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Whit Stillman Thread

Let’s discuss Metropolitan, Barcelona, The Last Days of Disco, Damsels in Distress, and Love & Friendship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 3:04 PM

Who was that lanky guy he almost made a star, but didn’t? WHET him?

by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2021 5:27 AM

Overrated and boring, I only found his latest film, Love & Friendship, moderately enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2021 5:33 AM

Robert Sean Leonard was the most adorable thing in The Last Days Of Disco...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2021 8:41 AM

Whitest, and dullest thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2021 8:48 AM

Metropolitan was EXCELLENT! Film was a rare glimpse into a world that was already dying a slow death.

Know socially and professionally a few like Rick Von Sloneker. While often tiresome they make for the most amusing companions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2021 8:53 AM

I recently watched Damsels In Distress. Can’t remember much about it now, except the tap dancing and Adam Brody was in it.

It was okay.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2021 9:43 AM

I enjoyed [italic]Barcelona[/italic]: the cousin who rewrites graffito and gets the gender wrong, stomping on the Commie ants, explaining that the AFL-CIO was not connected to the CIA. Stillman is good at little movies. I hadn't heard of [italic]Damsels in Distress[/italic], will have to hunt that down.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2021 2:50 PM

I loved Metropolitan and still enjoy watching it every two or three years. The Last Days of Disco is enjoyable and well paced , and enjoyed a lot of TV airings. Barcelona seemed a little lost for me; I should try it again as it's been years now since I've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2021 2:59 PM

I was hoping for more. Rich subject matter - but mediocre script. Barcelona in particular was pointless. Metropolitan was his “masterpiece” - which was really just him mimicking a stereotype with mediocre dialogue and plot.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 3:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!