Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Unusual pie flavors

How come you never hear about pineapple pie? It's quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 15, 2021 2:17 AM

My people, The Pennsylvania Dutch, have this weirdness, Shoofly pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2021 4:20 AM

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2021 4:24 AM

Green Tomato Pie is a delicious sweet & tangy pie. I wish more people were familiar with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2021 4:32 AM

R1 and R3: those look quite good!

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2021 4:32 AM

Mango pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2021 4:36 AM

I found the recipe for this Double-Bottom Blueberry, Lemon and Pecan Pie several years ago. I've since made it several times and it's always a hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2021 4:38 AM

Pineapple pie sounds like it would be an intense flavor.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2021 4:40 AM

I love Pineapple Pie. McDonald's even had a 'special seasonal' deep fried pineapple pie once. It was really good.

I also really love raspberry pie, but you almost never see or hear of it. I got an amazing slice at this "Pie Company" shop in North Seattle, and it was fucking amazing. Next time I'm there, I'm definitely going back.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2021 4:47 AM

Raisin pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 4:47 AM

Texas Grapefruit Pie (you can also use grapefruit in other types of citrus pies).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2021 4:51 AM

Orange cream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2021 4:52 AM

R10 and R11, those look great!

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2021 5:42 AM

Mock apple pie made with ritz crackers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2021 5:52 AM

As a kid, I thought Key Lime and Lemon Mirangue pie were too heavy and sweaty. Then, I tried them on a trip to Florida and understood we Northerners fuck up pie.

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2021 5:53 AM

Blackberry Hostess pie.

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2021 7:39 AM

I told you before, I don't like pie.

Stop trying to make pie happen, you pie fatties.

by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2021 8:05 AM

A terrific pie that is rarely made is grape pie. Yes Rose you peel the grapes. There are variations. Most well-known is Concord grape pie, though you can make the pie with any grape.

My grandmother used to make it. I have made grape pie before, and now with this thread for inspiration I'll make it again. The last time I made it was for 2 other friends and me. Was so good my 2 friends practically inhaled it and there was no pie left after 15 mins. I was pissed because it took me a few hours to make it...they should have savored it more slowly!

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2021 8:18 AM

R17, aside from texture, is it the tarter in the skins you avoid by peeling?

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2021 8:40 AM

[R17] No, as far as I know it's simply for texture. You can cook the skins down and add to the filling if you want. I probably would do this next time, it can't hurt the flavor. I have only made it with just the pulp, the filling is translucent and tastes otherworldly.

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2021 8:59 AM

When I was a kid my dad pestered me to pick gooseberries because he loved them in a pie. It was tough spending so much time picking fruit for a pie I couldn't stand to eat. Plus I had to worry about my uncle's hogs breaking loose and devouring me. True story.

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2021 9:12 AM

I saw Martha Stewart make a Concord Grape Pie on her show several years ago. I thought it looked very interesting (because I had never heard of such a thing) but I didn't dare try to bake it. At the time, it looked like something that required much more baking skill than I had.

Thanks for reminding me R17. I may find a simpler recipe than Martha's and try to bake it soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2021 9:19 AM

Poo pie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2021 9:43 AM

Years ago on Food Network they covered a pie baking contest. From what I remember the winning pie was a Jalapeno Apple Pie. That's always stuck with me because it sounds so unusual.

I wouldn't begin to know how to find the winning recipe I saw all those years ago, but here's a recipe for Angry Apple Pie aka Jalapeno Apple Pie that I just found online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2021 9:58 AM

I haven't seen one, but I bet a persimmon pie would be good. Or persimmon tarts.

by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2021 10:09 AM

Funeral Pie

Those crazy Amish...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 2, 2021 10:37 AM

My grandfather talked of his father taking raisin pie into the mines for lunch. Apparently it was standard miners fair in the north of England.

Turnip pie. I made it once but I don't know what recipe I used. The ones on the Internet look more tasty. It was weird was all I will say.

by Anonymousreply 26February 2, 2021 11:04 AM

fare^

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2021 11:05 AM

in "the long winter", an early freeze forced the ingalls family to bring in the harvest well before its time. ma ingalls had laura bring in a green pumpkin, and ma turned it into a pie that tasted like apple pie.

pa ingalls was very happy and fucked ma's brains out.

then, they all nearly died from a winter of unrelenting cold and snow. but ma still had that one great fuck to remember.

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2021 11:09 AM

Our Ozark funeral pie is raisin pie.

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2021 11:31 AM

Sour orange pie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2021 12:11 PM

Snickers pie?

by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2021 12:23 PM

Re: r25’s Funeral Pie:

[quote]This pie is seen quite often in Amish homes. It is easy, quick, and made from non-seasonal ingredients, it was often taken to the family of those grieving over a passing.

Because nothings says “I’m there for you” like something hastily tossed together from dusty pantry odds and ends.

by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2021 4:12 PM

With some ingenuity and a good supplier, you can really create something unusual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 2, 2021 4:25 PM

Vinegar Pie

Tates great. And it might even cleanse your cooter on the way out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 2, 2021 4:36 PM

When I was very little, I remember my father talking about mincemeat pie that his mother used to make during the Christmas season. Also talked about rubarb pie. Neither one seemed very appealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2021 4:37 PM

Hair Pie

by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2021 4:40 PM

this is from Bon Apetit'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 2, 2021 4:41 PM

I've made mango pie a few times. Delicious. I've also made blueberry-mango pies. Even better.

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2021 5:06 PM

Pineapple pie sounds like a creature invented by Dole to push canned pineapple. I do remember years ago seeing cans of gloppy pineapple pie filling in the stores.

by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2021 5:17 PM

Is a cobbler a pie?

by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2021 5:21 PM

R6 leave it to you to bake Double BOTTOM pies :)

I vote for Rhubarb...nobody seems to have it anymore.; probably too tart.

by Anonymousreply 41February 2, 2021 5:22 PM

R24, I've never tried persimmons in pie but why not? I've used the firm ones instead of pears in an apple/pear crisp and it was excellent. I think an apple pie recipe would work fine with them (maybe use a little ginger or nutmeg instead of cinnamon). If the soft ones weren't so wet, they might work in a pumpkin pie recipe but they have to get so ripe to taste good that I think the texture would be too soupy.

R35, you don't know what you're missing. Order a piece of mincemeat pie in a restaurant to try it -- lots of apples and spices, good strong flavors (no meat in modern recipes). Rhubarb is very tart and Americans tend to prefer it mixed with strawberries and more sugar than I care for -- try a piece of that in a restaurant and I bet you'll like it. Listen to your dad!

by Anonymousreply 42February 2, 2021 5:23 PM

Pete's going home to pull a train to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 43February 2, 2021 5:27 PM

Meant for the Pete confirmation thread. ^

by Anonymousreply 44February 2, 2021 5:28 PM

R1 Are you Amish?

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2021 5:44 PM

Pineapple seems like it would be better as a lemon meringue like pie.

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2021 5:50 PM

Sour cream pie, vinegar pie and nobody makes Shoo Fly pie anymore.

by Anonymousreply 47February 2, 2021 5:53 PM

Strawberry rhubarb pie is moderately popular around here, I think it's taken over from rhubarb as it's sweeter. One place adds cream to the strawberry rhubarb, it's superb!

And mincemeat pie is wonderful! And if you haven't had mincemeat do give it a try, it's delicious. No meat, just a lovely hearty spicy compote of autumn fruits, apples and raisins and things enriched with complementary spices and brandy. Mincemeat can be used in other recipes, such as a bar cookie recipe I've tragically lost, but it best enjoyed by being baked in pie crust. It's one of those simple foods that needs no tarting up.

by Anonymousreply 48February 2, 2021 6:07 PM

My mum used to make apple and rhubarb pie which was tasty.

by Anonymousreply 49February 2, 2021 6:18 PM

R45 Mennonite, Amish Lite.

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2021 6:19 PM

An acquaintance who visited Ukraine once told me that their McDonalds serve kiwi pies and they were good. It was the first and only time I'd ever heard of a baked kiwi pie.

by Anonymousreply 51February 2, 2021 6:24 PM

Pi Pie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 2, 2021 6:44 PM

R32 I don't know why I've voluntarily surrounded myself with cuntery. Probably the sparkling wit at the other end of the scale.

by Anonymousreply 53February 2, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote] Also talked about rubarb pie. Neither one seemed very appealing to me.

My grandma served me rhubarb pie when I was a kid. Hated it.

But as an adult I reluctantly tried strawberry rhubarb pie and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 54February 2, 2021 7:09 PM

R50's mother sews buttons.

by Anonymousreply 55February 2, 2021 7:14 PM

R55's folks make and sells homemade cheese.

Oh, and "Funeral Pie, because they're dead anyway and we have too many leftover raisins." Erp.

by Anonymousreply 56February 2, 2021 8:07 PM

Oops. Sorry, R55. I meant R50 (but not cruelly, just teasingly because I love Mennonite cheese 😊)

by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2021 8:13 PM

Cream pie

by Anonymousreply 58February 2, 2021 8:14 PM

Cheeseburger pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 2, 2021 8:32 PM

Baked strawberry pie. Most people don't bake strawberries because they turn a sort of sad, pink color, but it still tastes very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 3, 2021 3:17 AM

My boyfriend makes me a blueberry beef and cherry pie that is delicious

by Anonymousreply 61February 3, 2021 3:55 AM

Hell when I was comin up in Nebraska we would done eat pie mos days. My momma was a gross butter landwhale but she wasn’t half bad at bakin. We had apple, blueberry, blackberry and cream pie. My brother and me was given lots of cream pie, so we had some mos days.

by Anonymousreply 62February 3, 2021 4:10 AM

R61, beef in the pie?

by Anonymousreply 63February 3, 2021 4:12 AM

speaking of Amish, this crazy Amish coconut pie from DL fave Simply Sara looks really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 3, 2021 4:33 AM

This is the kind of thread that makes my fat ass love DL.

by Anonymousreply 65February 3, 2021 4:41 AM

When I was a kid I always wondered why strawberry pie wasn’t a thing. I guess now it sort of is, with rhubarb. But does anyone know why strawberry pie is never an option the way cherry or blueberry pie is?

by Anonymousreply 66February 3, 2021 5:13 AM

I've seen lots of strawberry pies. Hell, McDonalds even does a good strawberry pie every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 67February 3, 2021 5:20 AM

R31 Shnickersh pie.

by Anonymousreply 68February 3, 2021 5:34 AM

Have some Water Pie.

A Depression Era recipe where the main ingredient is literally water

"... yet somehow you end up with a pie that’s creamy and sweet and totally indulgent. It uses just a few pantry ingredients but still manages to feel like a special treat."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 3, 2021 6:27 AM

i'm with r63 on r61's post. "blueberry beef pie"? that sounds like rachel screwing up the english trifle and shepherd's pie on friends.

by Anonymousreply 70February 3, 2021 11:23 AM

R69, I'd like to see some depression-era versions of the water pie recipe. I remember my grandparents saying meat, fat and sugar were the things most missed. The original pie probably had a lot less butter and sugar in it. Or no butter at all.

R1 even though we don't eat it much anymore, chess pies - and shoo-fly is a version of chess pie - were probably the most common type of pie 100 and more years ago. Sweetener (molasses or sugar), flour (or cornmeal), eggs (maybe) or another liquid, flavor. Molasses was cheap.

Pecan pie is a bastard of chess pie. Early recipes (pre-1870s or so) were made with milk custard. Later recipes at the turn of the 20th century turned up using molasses and sugar. People started making it with Karo instead of molasses in the early 1900s. Karo printed a recipe on the bottle and now you're a fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 71February 3, 2021 4:09 PM

Saw a YouTube clip about a family that ran a shop for 100 years in some English seaside town. The sold eel pies and only eel pies, the chips go without saying. I just shook my head in horror and disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 72February 3, 2021 4:39 PM

R8 you might like a Linzer Tart.

by Anonymousreply 73February 3, 2021 4:40 PM

On the savory side in Cajun Country they make Crawfish Pie.

I've had it. It's rare and wonderful in season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 3, 2021 5:06 PM

Filipino coconut pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 3, 2021 5:15 PM

Hair pie.

by Anonymousreply 76February 3, 2021 5:47 PM

R71, I hadn't thought about Karo in years. My grandmother on the Southern side of my family had it in her kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 77February 3, 2021 8:01 PM

If you have a loquat tree, which we did growing up, you make loquat pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 3, 2021 8:11 PM

I haven't tried the linked recipe for Bean Pie aka Muslim Pie but plan to do so. I never heard of it before, though it's supposed to be similar to chess pie, which is a southern staple that I'm familiar with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 16, 2021 8:49 PM

I was watching an episode of The Great British Bake-Off and the challenge was “American” pie, which is apparently crust on the top and bottom with fruit in between. The judges and contestants said American pie is too sweet. Well. Stick to your Spotted Dick and treacles.

by Anonymousreply 80February 16, 2021 8:57 PM

My neighborhood pie shop is owned by Muslims so I tried their bean pie. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 81February 16, 2021 8:59 PM

Pie!

by Anonymousreply 82February 16, 2021 9:01 PM

Is a lemon chess pie unusual enough? I've never made it myself. They used to serve it at Johnny's Half Shell in DC, which, sadly was a victim of covid, and closed in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 16, 2021 9:07 PM

If I were going to make a lemon chess pie, this is the first recipe I would try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 16, 2021 9:08 PM

R3 First I was grossed out by your pie, but thinking about it, I can see where it would be pleasantly savory.

by Anonymousreply 85February 16, 2021 9:33 PM

Someone posted sugar pie on another thread and I was intrigued! I would definitely like to try it.

My favorites are pretty boring: pecan, strawberry and ohhhhh KEY LIME!

Also had a mixed berry pie from a farmer’s market which was heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 86February 16, 2021 9:36 PM

I’m heating up the “chicken” pot pie now! Jealous, vegan bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 16, 2021 9:40 PM

Years ago I made a Peanut Butter Pie that was delicious. I didn't use this recipe but the one I used was similar.

Shoo Fly Pie is a great way to get rid of leftover molasses. Easy to make and yummy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 16, 2021 9:47 PM

Raspberry pie is delicious but raspberries aren't cheap.

Chess pie is not difficult to find in parts of the South and places with Southern heritage like DC & Baltimore (Dangerously Delicious Pies carries them).

by Anonymousreply 89February 16, 2021 9:49 PM

I wonder why no one’s tried a lemon AND lime pie! It’s sounds like it might be really good.

by Anonymousreply 90February 16, 2021 9:52 PM

I had a slice of pickle pie 30 years ago. I was only 11 but I didn't care for it. The same cafe still serves it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 16, 2021 10:12 PM

Ritz Mock Apple Pie. never ate any, but legend is that is tastes like apple pie without any apples.

Apple pie without any apples? Sorcery.

YIELDS: 1 COOK TIME: 0 HOURS 30 MINS TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 35 MINS INGREDIENTS FILLING 2 c. water 2/3 c. sugar 2 tsp. cream of tartar 35 RITZ Crackers 1 ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice 2 tsp. cinnamon TOPPING 1 c. crushed RITZ Crackers 2/3 c. brown sugar 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/3 c. unsalted butter, melted This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. GET INGREDIENTS Powered by Chicory

DIRECTIONS Heat oven to 400ºF. Make filling: Mix water, granulated sugar and cream of tartar in large saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Add crackers; simmer on medium-low heat 5 min., stirring occasionally. Line 9-inch pie plate with crust as directed on package; fill with cracker mixture. Sprinkle with lemon juice and cinnamon. Make topping: Combine all topping ingredients. Bake 10 minutes at 400, reduce to 350 and cover edges of pie crust with foil. Bake 18-20 more minutes, or until pie filling has set. It shouldn't jiggle a lot when moved. Cool before serving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 16, 2021 11:24 PM

r92 I made that pie years ago. It doesn't really taste like apples, but the spices and the texture fool you into thinking it does.

by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2021 2:00 AM

[quote] "I found the recipe for this Double-Bottom Blueberry, Lemon and Pecan Pie several years ago."

You had me at "Double-Bottom"!

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2021 2:23 AM

R23 That Jalapeño Apple Pie would be especially good with sharp Cheddar cheese baked into the crust! Now I really want to try that.

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2021 2:26 AM

Coconut. Cream Pie: YES GAWD.

Banana Cream Pie: HELL NAW.

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote]Because nothings says “I’m there for you” like something hastily tossed together from dusty pantry odds and ends.

Did you read the recipe, R32? It takes four and a half hours to make. That's hardly "something hastily tossed together." It reflects considerable care and effort.

The Amish are frugal; they don't waste anything. It's highly unlikely that there's anything 'dusty' or like 'odds and ends' in their pantries. The raisins are a pantry staple, they keep. Also, death is frequently impromptu, of necessity so must be the response.

You sound like the ungrateful sort.

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2021 3:09 AM

Fig/ Rhubarb pie - weird combo but so delicious. I always thought it was Lidia Bastianich's recipe, but it's Mary Ann Esposito:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2021 3:14 AM

Grasshopper pie. Lots of different recipes. But the one I remember had an Oreo cookie crust. The filling was made with a mixture of mint (green) chocolate chip ice cream and marshmallow cream. Whipped cream and chocolate syrup (or ganache) on top. Sounds good now, but not really a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 99February 17, 2021 3:17 AM

I like any combo of berries pie (including cranberry) - raspberry is a favorite, but i really like to add more depth to flavor, so i've even added plum in with raspberries and blackberries, which was delicious.

Walnut molasses pie is wonderful, and i've subbed pecans instead of the walnuts to give it a more rich flavor. Either is delicious.

Grape pie was a huge summer favorite when i lived in Western NY...believe it or not, they grow quite a lot of grapes.

I made regular strawberry pie as a kid baker when i was young without the rhubarb and loved it. Wish i could find the recipe.

The orange and grapefruit pies sound yuck, but i'm NOT a fan of grapefruit at all and orange i can take or leave. Key lime pie, yes please and lemon meringue every 10 years or so lol

Lastly, the one that has been requested of me for years and years is my chocolate silk pie which is essentially a dense chocolate pie made with unsweetened chocolate, butter, cream cheese, sugar and cool whip, all on top of an oreo cookie crust (better when you make it from scratch but here on the west coast, they don't have the oreo cookie crumbs available so you have to use the shitty pre-made oreo cookie crusts). top with more cool whip (or regular whipped cream would be good too).

by Anonymousreply 100February 17, 2021 3:28 AM

Avocado chocolate pie sounds awful, but I bet it’s delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 17, 2021 5:13 AM

yeah r101, mine is the total ghetto, white trash version of chocolate silk pie but it's the recipe that keeps them coming back for more, so i stay with it.

by Anonymousreply 102February 17, 2021 5:18 AM

Marionnerry pie is to die for! Well, at least it sounds divoon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 17, 2021 5:54 AM

Pie! Yum!

by Anonymousreply 104February 17, 2021 6:16 AM

Marionberries are pretty much the king of berries. Only grow well in the PNW.

by Anonymousreply 105February 17, 2021 6:28 AM

Irish coffee pie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 17, 2021 6:33 AM

R101, ditch the chocolate and just have an avocado pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 17, 2021 7:47 AM

Tourtiere. A traditional meat-heavy pie, quite the thing in Canada. Sweet baking spices are in it.

Pizza Rustica. My grandmother always made a big, deep-dish version for Easter. VERY heavy on dairy and meat, eggy as well. Just the thing to celebrate the end of Lent.

A friend always makes Cranberry Walnut pie for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. More like a cake, I suppose, in the manner of a Boston Cream Pie(which they call pie because it was originally baked in a pie tin) Chopped walnuts and cranberries are put in the bottom of a pie dish, over which is poured a batter that bakes up a little bit like cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 108February 17, 2021 8:14 AM

I love strawberry rhubarb.

by Anonymousreply 109February 17, 2021 8:35 AM

r100 I don't think Oreo cookie crumbs are sold anywhere. I think you mean chocolate wafer crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 110February 17, 2021 2:03 PM

R13, another variation of a mock apple pie - my friend does this with zucchini. I tried to find some pictures but all the zucchini pie recipes I'm seeing are more like savory quiches. It's decent, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it.

by Anonymousreply 111February 17, 2021 2:44 PM

Buy Famous Chocolate Wafers, r100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 17, 2021 2:56 PM

R84 Lemon Chess Pie is really just a basic version of Tarte au Citron, it shouldn't really need cornstarch in the filling.

This French recipe is better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 17, 2021 3:15 PM

That looks wonderful, r113. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 114February 17, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote]I don't think Oreo cookie crumbs are sold anywhere. I think you mean chocolate wafer crumbs.

I wasn't aware that 'chocolate wafer crumbs' were sold anywhere, either. The way that's generally done is that one buys the cookies in question, puts them into a food processor, and pulses them until one has suitable crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 115February 17, 2021 4:02 PM

r113 cornstarch and cornmeal are not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 116February 17, 2021 4:03 PM

I never thought of raspberry pie as rare, because my parents used to have a ton of raspberry bushes in their garden growing up. So they’d make raspberry pies all summer for us. Same with rhubarb. One year all their raspberry bushes died and they quit being interested in gardening .

Now that I think about it, however. I haven’t had a raspberry pie since then! 😥 Based on the price of raspberries in the store, they are quite a cost prohibitive.

I want to plant raspberry bushes now!

by Anonymousreply 117February 17, 2021 4:08 PM

Hair Pie... personally, I don’t care for it

by Anonymousreply 118February 17, 2021 4:33 PM

R116 I know they aren't, the 2nd ingredient on the filling section of recipe at R84 is [BOLD] [italic] 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch [/italic]. [/BOLD]

Cornstarch and arrowroot are just included in recipes to save on more expensive ingredients. Commercially Guar Gum is used in the same way.

by Anonymousreply 119February 17, 2021 4:44 PM

Corn starch is used to help set curds. Otherwise, there's a good chance you'll wind up with a loose globby mess.

by Anonymousreply 120February 17, 2021 5:01 PM

R120 Cornstarch is used by people who can't cook.

[BOLD] [ITALIC] You need 5 ingredients for lemon curd recipe: egg yolks, fresh lemons, sugar, salt, and butter. Each ingredient serves a critical purpose for thickening and flavoring. The egg yolks thicken the curd, just as they do in creme brûlée or butterscotch pudding. Use real lemons; you need both the zest and juice. The sugar supplies sweetness and structure, while the salt balances out the flavor. Add the butter after the curd finishes on the stove. Butter makes it super creamy.

Make lemon curd on the stove. Make sure you are constantly whisking as the mixture thickens– we’re talking about 10 minutes of whisking. The good news? That’s the only step in this recipe: whisking! [/ITALIC] [/BOLD]

You'd use extra egg yolks for firmer set in a pie or tart recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 17, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote]Cornstarch is used by people who can't cook.

What an idiotic statement.

by Anonymousreply 122February 17, 2021 6:41 PM

R122 Cornstarch didn't exist as a culinary ingredient until the mid 19th Century (it was used for starching clothes before). Most dessert/pie/tart and pudding recipes mentioned on here existed for hundreds of years prior to that and weren't made using it.

it's unnecessary unless you are being cheap or aren't a skilled cook.

by Anonymousreply 123February 17, 2021 6:58 PM

R123, your closing statement is imbecilic. Just stop; you're derailing the thread with your obnoxious behavior.

by Anonymousreply 124February 17, 2021 7:06 PM

R110 - pretty sure i know the difference between chocolate wafer cookies and oreo cookie crumbs, which i used for over 15 years when i lived back in Western NY when i made the chocolate silk pies (at least 3 or 4 times a year). In fact, i looked it up, and you can get them off of Amazon (which i didn't know until now) imported from Canada. See link below. Up there, they call them "baking crumbles."

And for those of you saying i could just use regular oreo cookies and chop them up myself, that's a terrific pain in the ass to open them up, scrape the white shit out, then grind. Plus, you have residual white stuff on the wafers instead of just the dark, intense chocolate flavor of cookie crumbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 18, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote] ... that's a terrific pain in the ass to open them up, scrape the white shit out, then grind. ...

R125, I sincerely hope that you never have to know what a "terrific pain in the ass" really is. Ignorance is bliss, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 126February 18, 2021 2:25 AM

r126 oh shut up. i've actually done the scraping of the cookies and it IS a pain in the ass and adds on a bunch of time to what is a pretty quick and simple pie.

Also, you don't know fuck all about me at all. I was brought up on salvation army clothes, food stamps and no extras as we were pretty poor and grew all our own veggies and raised our own animals for food. We did chores every morning and night (we're talking farm chores).

I've also been homeless living out of my car for 6 months a couple years ago.

suffice it to say, i know what a pain in the ass is like. I also know what an asshole looks like, and i'm looking squarely at you r126.

by Anonymousreply 127February 18, 2021 2:35 AM

I read that in Kenan's voice r82.

In New Zealand savoury pies are more popular than sweet. my favourite is the butter chicken from Fat Bastard Pies:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 18, 2021 2:37 AM

I made a Meyer Lemon icebox pie yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 129February 18, 2021 3:13 PM

r129 What makes it an "icebox" pie?

by Anonymousreply 130February 18, 2021 6:36 PM

An icebox pie has a no-cook filling, something based on whipped cream or Cool Whip or something.

by Anonymousreply 131February 18, 2021 9:22 PM

Dingleberry Pie.

by Anonymousreply 132February 18, 2021 9:41 PM

Actually R131, the original icebox pie recipes use eggs and are usually cooked. There are no-bake versions around. But I bake mine. Meyer lemon juice, regular lemon juice, Meyer lemon rind, salt, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks. Mix, pour into graham cracker crust, bake 325F for 20 mins. Cool and refrigerate (icebox). Top with whipped cream or meringue.

by Anonymousreply 133February 20, 2021 2:16 AM

Polly's Pies, a chain in southern California, used to have a peanut butter pie. It had a mild peanut butter flavor. I was the only one in my family who liked it.

by Anonymousreply 134February 20, 2021 2:21 AM

Corn starch is a useful ingredient to thicken sauces.

by Anonymousreply 135February 20, 2021 2:23 AM

Cottage Cheese Pie, yeah I know it sounds horrible but it was actually pretty good and didn't taste like Cottage Cheese at all. I shared it with the neighbors because, I don't need to be eating a whole pie and she hated it and he loved it, thought it was the best pie he ever had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 20, 2021 2:28 AM

If you're going to use a soft fruit/wet pie filling it's better to put a layer of semolina or ground almonds in the blind-baked pastry case before you add the filling.

R136 Cheese & Onion pie is really popular in the UK, also in lots of other European Countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 20, 2021 2:36 AM

I just finished apologizing to myself for making my eyes read this thread. Each entry is a nightmare for my plain apple pie-loving self. 🤢🤢

by Anonymousreply 138February 20, 2021 2:36 AM

Don't you lace apple pie with cinnamon in the US? I only figured out that I hated it on my first trip to LA in the 1970's when I was a kid. The only one I've disliked more was Heston Blumenthal's that was full of Star Anise.

by Anonymousreply 139February 20, 2021 2:50 AM

I can't conceive of an apple pie without cinnamon r139. Heresy. i also add in some nutmeg and a small touch of cloves. I actually like adding pears in with the apples if they are in season.

by Anonymousreply 140February 20, 2021 2:58 AM

I used cinnamon only, R140. I used to add craisins to the apples, and used cornstarch as the thickener. The finishing touch to the deep dish apple pie was a white powdered sugar glaze coating most of the top crust.

But it's probably been at least a decade since I've made apple pies. What ended it for me was that large cans of pie-sliced apples packed in water were discontinued (a single giant can made two pies), and I was unable to replicate the quality of the pie using fresh apples. So I gave up.

I'm diabetic. I'm not supposed to be eating that anyway. But my friends still ask me to make them.

by Anonymousreply 141February 20, 2021 10:45 AM

[quote]Polly's Pies, a chain in southern California, used to have a peanut butter pie. It had a mild peanut butter flavor. I was the only one in my family who liked it.

Polly's also had Banberry pie -- Banana and Strawberry. Basically a banana cream pie topped with glazed fresh strawberries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 20, 2021 4:25 PM

𝝅

by Anonymousreply 143February 20, 2021 8:15 PM

Thought this makes a nice addendum to this thread. Bit confused by the popularity of grape pie, was that mentioned here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 15, 2021 1:49 AM

I think Dylan got the line “What’s your favorite Woody Allen movie...?” from Ronan. It’s just the writerly thing to add as a hook and bookend to the piece, she didn’t come up with that on her own.

by Anonymousreply 145March 15, 2021 2:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!