Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australian TV

For some reason (boredom? having seen everything else?) I've been watching a lot of Australian tv recently. Man, that is one screwed up country if the tv shows have any semblance of reality. The people in them are almost always horrible, mean-spirited, and constantly having sex with everyone else, no matter who the other person is, or what he/she looks like (the one exception is same-sex, which seems to scare the bejesus out of Australians, especially the boys). The one that really has me mystified is called Tangle, a popular night-time drama in which a bunch of fairly unattractive women (with one exception) are continually being propositioned by all the men in their lives. All of them lie to each other, cheat on each other, and then have immediate make-up sex. The men, by the way, are better looking but are all dressed terribly in ill-fitting jeans and ugly jackets. (The women also seem to have terrible taste in clothes).

Never been to Australia but their tv programs would indicate that's is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2021 5:21 AM

The only Australian TV show I ever watched was The Man from Snowy River, with Guy Pearce and... Josh Lucas, who moved to Australia to film it (this was back in the 90s).

I agree though, I've seen a few Australian movies and the people in those are horrible. The Australians I met in real life were very cool, but maybe they were the exception - who knows.

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2021 11:38 PM

Absolutely! Judging a country based solely on its reality TV output sounds like a very informed approach!

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2021 11:42 PM

Wilfred is a great show. Funny as hell. Very dry and surreal humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2021 11:42 PM

I apologise. The title was apparently Snowy River: The McGregor Saga.

And our actor was then called Joshua Lucas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2021 11:42 PM

Very strange. I can't see my own post. Have I placed myself on Ignore?

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2021 11:43 PM

The accents are also tough to deal with. In some shows, the accent is quite strong, and most of the vowels sound like "i." In other shows, the accent is barely noticeable.

Hey Australians: is there a marked difference in regional accents as there is in the UK and America?

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2021 11:50 PM

Australian accents are actually easier for me to understand as an America. I find they speak much slower with a drawl than Brits. British TV has some characters who speak so fast and clipped that I can't get what they are saying.

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2021 11:51 PM

*American

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2021 11:53 PM

Like any other place, Australia is a mix of good and bad. I've had some wonderful experiences with Australians. But they do tend to brandish the national identity in your face at the drop of a hat. It gets tiresome after a while.

And my Australian clients were only eclipsed by the Swiss as the rudest, most boorish and crass people I have ever dealt with.

No opinion of Aussie TV. They occasionally make great movies, but the little TV I've encountered has not left me searching for more. To be fair, I am very anti-TV generally. With a few exceptions, I find it irritating.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 12:44 AM

Where are you watching Australian TV, OP? On YouTube?

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2021 1:05 AM

Australian television and movies are all rubbish for the most part. It's all projected at the lower class majority (read: those with convict ancestry). Try 'A Place To Call Home', a period series set in the 50s and 60s about the trials and tribulations of the wealthy Bligh family, it's very well done. Straight men in Australia dress appallingly because they fear if they dress stylish they'll be called gay.

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2021 1:32 AM

So Australians are similar to Americans but with a British type of government?

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2021 1:33 AM

OP, how many threads are you going to start typifying Australians by Tangle, a show hardly any of them watched?

This is the second one I'm aware of.

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2021 1:42 AM

Yes I remember OP's post/thread about Tangle (which is an obscure TV show made for Foxtel that no-one has ever heard of or watched) in another thread too R13.

OP's obviously not getting the level of anti-Australian hatred that he's desperately trolling for. But it looks like this thread is doing better than his last one. Perhaps OP can inspire some really nasty comments yet.

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2021 1:48 AM

OP I’ve saved this as a handy template for getting it all out there in the regular anti-Australia troll posts. Hope that this helps!

All Australians are racists. Every single one of us. All the men are misogynists. All the women are loud and called Sheila. We are all completely homophobic. And gay. A bunch of alcoholics. Setting foot out of our front doors is an exercise in risking death from our killer wildlife. We have no history. None! No accomplishments of note. No cities - we all live in the outback, killing kangaroos for dinner. Because the dingo got our baby! We’re just a tiny little island, regularly on fire, upside down, down under, somewhere down in the Pacific. Or the Atlantic. Or some big ocean. Somewhere.

Does that make you feel better, OP?

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote] risking death from our killer wildlife

This calls for a song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2021 2:36 AM

I quite enjoy Australian sitcoms and the new drama Harrow (going on season 3) They have a sense of humour about themselves and their comedy isn’t as predictable as most American sitcoms are. They don’t cast Hemsworth looking people as a rule , it’s more based in real people so it’s more believable.

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2021 2:41 AM

They have a few drama shows I like. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, A Place To Call Home, Please Like Me,.

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2021 3:31 AM

A Place to Call Home actually seems a lot better than the other Aussie shows you can find on Netflix and Prime. It's got some really good acting in it. Apparently the guy who created it is gay and has done a lot to help Australians understand what being gay is like -- as someone above said, most of these shows are for the middle classes who aren't very homo-friendly.

And unlike the other Australian tv shows I've seen, there are some really, really hot guy in this one -- especially this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2021 4:05 AM

"Packed to the Rafters" was on Hulu in the US in 2017. (I was unemployed for most of that year.) I thought it was going to be a sitcom, but it was more a family dramedy/soap. It was decent for a while.

And according to another thread here, one of the sons is gayish.

I remember being thrilled when the Greek neighbor pretty near flashed pubes in one episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2021 4:26 AM

I just watched Frayed on HBO Max. It's about a woman who left Newcastle, escaped her alcoholic mother and married a rich man in London. She loses everything in the first episode after her husband dies and has to return to Newcastle with her two kids. She has to try to mend the relationships she hurt by taking off without telling anyone. Her mother is now sober, her younger brother, whom she kind of raised and protected is resentful, and her ex-boyfriend is the local hot gym teacher.

I thought it was very good. It's a dramedy. There are laugh-out-loud moments and very serious ones. I think this show hit the mark on how to mix the two.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2021 5:21 AM

[quote] I remember being thrilled when the Greek neighbor pretty near flashed pubes

I remember that. But I've forgotten his name.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2021 5:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!