Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist Season 2

Despite its rocky first season, ZEP pulled off getting a season two. As in the past, Alex Newell and Sylar Astin are carrying this show on their backs, and they seem to have realized this and are prominently featured this season. Thankfully Lauren Graham exited the series in the first episode, and despite Peter Gallagher’s character demise he has shown up in video, which is welcomed.

Seemingly, with an unlimited music budget the songs have been strong and the work force choreo has been improved and Leaf could be the breakout star this season. Liking it or hate watching it, come share your opinions, while gazing at the beautiful, sexy, hairy chested form that is Sylar Astin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2021 9:46 PM

I’ve met Skylar Astin. I have a weird obsession with him since then. He was very kind and handsome.

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2021 10:45 PM

He did very charming quarantine broadcasts and his singing and playing instruments definitely was a lovely distraction.

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2021 10:49 PM

I finally gave up on it. It’s insufferable. Lauren Graham was one of the few bright spots—I’m sorry she’s gone. The lead is awful.

by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2021 10:51 PM

Why did Lauren Graham leave?

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2021 10:54 PM

R4 Conflict with a show she was EPing and I think in the cast as well. But she was god awful acting, singing dancing not to mention that face that looked like a candle in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2021 11:22 PM

Skylar? Milan? Jace? Brielle? What kind of names are these for Jewish children? Feh.

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2021 11:38 PM

Has anyone ever come up with an easy guide to telling Katherine Keener and Mary Steenburgen apart? I mean there must be some identify marks, other than those caused by the face lifts?

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote] Leaf could be the breakout star

LEIF. As in Ericksen, Garret, et. al.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2021 3:18 AM

Lol, I was thinking San Fran hippie with names like River and Rainbow, thanks R8.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2021 7:59 AM

Did they recast Justin Kirk with a different person or was the boss/owner someone else?

by Anonymousreply 10February 3, 2021 5:57 PM

WHET Jonathan B. Wright?

by Anonymousreply 11February 3, 2021 6:20 PM

Zoey has a mid season finale next week, does every show do this now, and when it returns it’ll be on Sundays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2021 8:33 PM

I thought the show was gonna lose me after Peter Gallagher left, but it has kept my attention so far. Loving the brogrammer dance numbers and also Skylar doing more than just pining away for the insufferable Zoey.

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2021 8:40 PM

I like Skylar Astin, but he always plays the nice guy who never gets the girl because she's always in love with the really hot guy - even though he's pretty good looking himself.

He's like the modern day Scott Foley - if you saw Scott or Skylar on the street, you'd think that guy is really good looking. You'd only think he's average when you put him next to someone who is SCORCHING hot - which they always do.

Most people would be fine with a guy who looks like that.

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2021 9:03 PM

Skylar Astin is the poor frau's James Wolk.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2021 9:31 PM

Who’s the wealthy frau’s James Wolk?

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2021 12:14 AM

I think Kapil Tawalkar (Tobin) is the hottest one on the show.

Jane Levy got her first Golden Globe nod.

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2021 1:59 AM

I actually liked the show in season one, though it was very uneven with some real lows. The season one finale was incredibly well done (even Lauren Graham's part in American Pie was solid- that number was impeccable).

The second season so far has felt a lot better and more even than the first. Their ratings were doing better (we'll see how that holds up after the midseason once they're back to Sundays). I'm definitely planning to keep watching. It feels like the talent is more evenly spread as well- Skylar and John Clarence Stewart are both great and killed it in the most recent episode. They bumped up both Kapil Talwalkar (Tobin) and Michael Thomas Grant (Leif), which bodes well, but I'm hoping we'll see more with those two soon. I don't think it was mentioned in the s1 Zoey thread, but MTG is apparently bisexual and it looks like Leif is as well (there's been a bi flag on his bike helmet since s1). It'll be interesting to see if they actually let his character pursue guys onscreen. The guy's got a killer voice, so I'm hoping they give him more to work with.

Either way, with them tackling racism in the current storyline, sticking the landing next episode will be huge. They've got some good traction with Jane Levy's GG nom and Alex Newell's critic's choice nom- interested to see if it's enough to keep them from being as much of a bubble show as they were before

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2021 8:06 AM

I really want to sniff Skylar Astin's pits.

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2021 8:30 AM

I really enjoyed the first season but am struggling with this one. Without the through-line of the father dying and Zoey no longer questioning why she’s hearing everyone’s inner music it feels unfocused. Plus they’re throwing in new characters every episode which aways feels desperate. Some of the song choices have been pretty weird as well. But I keep watching because Skylar is hot as balls.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2021 1:29 PM

I think the season has been a bit of a drag, I am so tired of them mourning the father every single episode.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2021 1:46 PM

Tonight's episode was stellar, full stop.

And the scene of Leif and Tobin with them making a point to very much show off the bisexual pride flag on Leif's helmet in frame was interesting

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote]I really want to sniff Skylar Astin's pits.

R19, who in their right mind wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2021 4:39 AM

What's Skylar's story? Gay? Straight?

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2021 4:57 AM

Evidently straight but in my mind he's flexible.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2021 10:26 AM

It’s back, but this seemed like and uneven episode.

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2021 10:48 PM

I loved last season. As others have said, now that the father is gone and Zoey is cool with her "gift" the tension is gone. Plus, it went all woke. I'm sorta fine with it - it feels right for this world. But it isn't an enticing story element for me.

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2021 4:09 AM

I like Leif but he is kind of a butter face.

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2021 4:19 AM

Now that the father’s dead I was really expecting that they would discover the brain tumor in Zoey’s head to explain why she’s hearing these songs. And, does no one notice that Zoey’s incompetent at her job?

by Anonymousreply 29April 12, 2021 7:39 PM

Also, when did they start adding a "Y" to Zoe.

For years, people knew how to pronounce it without the adding an extra letter. Did people finally decide that it was required so idiots would stop saying Zoe, rhymes with Joe?

by Anonymousreply 30April 12, 2021 7:53 PM

R30 People have a lot to say about it on the baby boards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 12, 2021 7:58 PM

Ugh, I think I’m back to hate watching. Postpartum depression storylines and Bernadette Peters doing whatever it was she was doing seems of the rails. I hope they just move on the brain tumor storyline and wrap up with her death in the finale and end the series at this point.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2021 5:55 PM

Does anyone know if it's been renewed? There's been speculation online that it will not be back for a S3, which would make me sad.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2021 6:02 PM

I love it. It's such comfort entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2021 6:30 PM

Feel good entertainment. Well, it works for me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2021 11:32 AM

I hope they renew. Jane Levy is charming and she’s a lovely foil for the cast. Where else can you see lively singing and dancing every week.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2021 3:09 PM

For some reason I always mix up Skylar Austin with either Zachary Levi or Chris Wood

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2021 3:16 PM

R35, thanks for posting this! I did a DVR rewind several times of this scene. Broadway legend Bernadette Peters doing her stuff!

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2021 3:34 PM

Canceled! Despite its up tick at the start, the weird splitting of the season and the lost momentum of the early episodes dwindled to little interest and I’ve not even watched the last two episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2021 12:46 AM

My heart song is the SADS right now....

I shall miss you, ZEP. There's nothing quite like you on TV.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2021 12:53 AM

“I believe we can have a real chance somewhere else,” Winsberg continued. “But the more fan support we can throw behind it – the better. Please tweet #saveZoeysplaylist. Let’s get it trending and let the powers that be know the appetite is strong.”

Added executive producer Paul Feig: “If you love @ZoeysPlaylist as much as we do, we need your help. NBC and Peacock have decided not to renew us. We want nothing more than to keep this wonderful show going. I feel like it’s 21 years ago all over again when Freaks & Geeks got cancelled. Help us find a new home.”

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2021 12:57 AM

Eh, I’d rather have another season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Glee.

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2021 1:00 AM

Did R42 actually watch the last 2-3 seasons of GLEE?

No one who did would wish for more of that shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2021 3:35 AM

Gee I hope Skylar Astin doesn't have to resort to OnlyFans now. That would be too bad even though he could make lot of money

by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2021 5:55 AM

It fizzled out, which was reflected in its ratings.

Although I never miss a Mary Steenburgen musical, I can live without seeing her flop around a suburban kitchen singing both parts to "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better."

That sequence still comes to me in nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2021 6:18 AM

I watched every episode but I never really loved it. I won't miss it, but I know other fans that will.

by Anonymousreply 46June 11, 2021 1:30 PM

Cute show at times, but Jane Levy, although very photogenic, has ZERO sex appeal and ZERO sexual chemistry with any of her male co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 47June 11, 2021 1:31 PM

Just found out it was canceled in an article about Manifest being canceled. Bummer. I really liked the show.

Basic cable is killing shows which have way better rantings than anything on HBO, HBO Max and streaming services like Netflix or Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2021 8:13 PM

Ooops. Sorry. have way better ratings than ...

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2021 9:19 PM

Emmy Nomination for Bernadette - well deserved

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2021 4:30 PM

I don’t know if this affected the ratings, but the show was such a dreary drag for so many episodes, the mourning of the dead father went on and on and on, they should’ve wrapped that up by the third or fourth episode and then moved on, but it took until the last episode for the mother to even consider dating again.

And the diversity plot line was no picnic either.

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2021 5:27 AM

The show didn't work in so many ways. It was lucky it got a second season.

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2021 5:35 AM

Skylar Astin is a turn off. Used to get him mixed up with Dane Cook

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2021 6:06 AM

Some how I missed this announcement, and I thought Roku was a device you plugged into the back of your TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 3, 2021 8:08 PM

The next door neighbor was so fucking annoying at first but eventually she grew on me. Jane Levy has no sexual chemistry with anyone either.

by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2021 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!