Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fleetwood Mac's 1987 "second comeback" album Tango in the Night

Eldergays who experienced that year and gaylings who are just discovering Fleetwood Mac gratify me with your thoughts on Fleetwood Mac's Tango in the Night . It's their second highest selling album after Rumours and surprisingly it went 8x platinum in the UK. Critics have since called the album balearic, or reminiscent of club music scene in Ibiza. The sound oscillates between the thumping jungle gallop of "Big Love" and the cotton candy ear candy of "Everywhere". The album art is reminiscent of a lush Henri Rousseau painting and if the 'rumours' are true, stevie nicks barely appears on the album. replaced by a fairlight synthesizer and clever studio tricks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 7, 2021 4:59 AM

There’s a thread about this album already

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2021 10:36 PM

Shocked by the the love for this album. Its the pits.

I do like Lindsey's stuff, somewhat.

HATE EVERYWHERE. Love that Midnight song.

Overall, its a massive bust.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2021 10:38 PM

Love it!

LITTLE LIES is my all time fave.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2021 12:02 AM

R3- Yuck. That song sucks. It is Sears background music.

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2021 12:04 AM

It's sounds like the album Roxy Music music recorded but threw in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2021 12:05 AM

Just was hit with a flashback! I was 10!

My uncle wanted two albums for his birthday. Fucking Tango In The Night and INXS.

Does his sound right?

I despise Tango as I said above. Its cold, dated, and lame. Shocked that it actually was successful- especially in 87/88 when hard rock was at its pinnacle- G&R, Motley Crue...... Tango sounds LAME.

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2021 12:09 AM

Fun fact: Tango was the band's code word for cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2021 12:09 AM

And Mirage sounds modern, vs. Tango.

And Stevie's SONGS and VOICE were DEAD as my GRAM.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2021 12:10 AM

Stevie looked so hot in the videos during this period. She had a glow about her, and she was perfecting the vacant, come hither to look like a model would.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2021 12:10 AM

I love “BigLove.”

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2021 12:12 AM

R9- FUCK YOU. She was bloated and fat and on Klonopin.

You like dumpy chicks?

Oh my god. Digusting.

Stevie in 1987???

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2021 12:12 AM

Big Love and Isn't It Midnight (and I gag, as I despise Christine) were the ONLY songs on this album worth anything.

I cannot get over the "Stevie looked hot in 87" dude above. I am appalled.

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2021 12:13 AM

And Stevie was at her BLEATING GOAT VOICE NADIR on this album.

God bless her getting vocal coach in 1997.

Fucking hate her material on this dated album.

Emmeline can eat me. Her songs are hogwash.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2021 12:15 AM

I thought Tango only was triple platinum in the US? It could not have sold more than the white Fleetwood Mac album which was 5x platinum.

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2021 12:17 AM

I love love LOVE “Tusk”.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2021 12:20 AM

NOW, we can talk. Tusk is a MASTERPIECE.

Nothing like a HUGE band taking a fucking chance.

A masterpiece. Better than Rumour too.

Love Mirage as well. Fuck Tango. Hate. Hate. Hate.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2021 12:22 AM

R16, thanks for not assassinating me for that comment. It was just so bizarre that it worked. Of course, I’ll love anything with brass in it.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2021 12:27 AM

R11, R13, R16 = Lindsay Buckingham.

Tusk is a bloated, self indulgent mess. You can practically sniff the coke off of the album cover.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2021 12:48 AM

Think About Me is Christine's best song imo. One of Lindsay's best arrangements for her. Love nearly all of Tusk.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2021 12:49 AM

And a marching band for the title track? How very Up With People, Lawrence Welk.

Jimmy Iovine should have produced Tango, the songs would have been much better. Richard Dashut and Ken Calliat were responsible for making Rumours what it was. Lindsay's always been a self important pop hack.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2021 12:51 AM

Tango in the Night is a terrible, terrible album.

I was 16 when it came out and loved Fleetwood Mac. I bought this cassette and listened to it while my mother was in the supermarket. I vividly remember being bitterly disappointed with the whole thing. First time I ever felt “wow, I really wasted my money on this”

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2021 12:56 AM

R20 Stevie's solo albums suck. Indie kids like Tusk. Bella Donna is music for cheesy K Mart shoppers. It's corny country rock for middle American women. Go listen to Motley Crue is you like that shitty 80s production. Ken Caillat is a glorified studio engineer. Buckingham and Dashut did all the production. Even Mick admits this.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2021 12:59 AM

R20 has no clue what they're talking about. Lindsey taught Dashut a lot about producing, having been longer in the game. Dashut met Lindsey and Stevie while he was working as a studio engineer and showed him how to use his home studio when they (Lindsey, Stevie, Richard) were all living together. Lindsey had been working at Sound City for over a year before Richard even showed up. The reason Lindsey doesn't have a production credit on Rumours is because Mick didn't want him to have one, because having an entire band credit meant more money for Mick. That's also why he get a paltry "special thanks to Lindsey Buckingham" on Tusk. Lindsey also arranged all the songs before anyone else got their hands on the demos. Dos R20 really think Stevie wrote every not in eg. Landslide? These are her piano skills:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2021 1:17 AM

I did not like this album when it came out, yet oddly I have grown very fond of it over the years. Well, I’ve grown fond of Lindsey and Christine’s songs; Stevie’s contributions continue to be atrocious. There’s something interesting to me in listening to the demos and then following them to the final product, and that’s really how my opinion of Tango got turned around. There is a lot of warmth in the original versions of these songs that is disguised by the album’s production. I find the interplay between those two elements fascinating for some reason.

One of my all time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs is “Ricky,” the B-side to the “Little Lies,” single. Years ago I asked Richard Dashut if that song was about him or a nod to him, and he would neither confirm nor deny. In any case, I think you can really hear the warm-cold, push-pull thing on that track.

I also love the unreleased “You and I Part 1.” I will never understand why they put Part 2 on the album when 1 is so superior.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2021 1:31 AM

And yet Stevie can still sell out arenas. And Stevie is the only member to have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist.

Lindsay "the unsung genius" plays house BBQ's.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2021 1:39 AM

Stevie’s ability to sell out arenas has no bearing on her shitty Tango songs.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2021 1:48 AM

FUCK TANGO IN THE NIGHT. I am not even bothering to see where I posted above. Just trolldar me.

HORRIBLE AND DATED ALBUM. Pure and utter BULLSHIT. I sold appliances at Sears in 1996, and that album WAS THE SOUNDTRACK.

Fuck Stevie. Former huge fan- NO MORE. She is an egomaniac.

Tusk is a masterwork. Stevie's work. Lindsey's, and Christine's. It's stunning.

And I stand by this - Mirage is awesome as well!

Tango- Trash of the 80's. It's DOA.

And Stevie is at her lowest on this album. And check out the live concerts on Youtube!

Both Tango and Behind The Mask should be TRASHED.

However, I still like Stevie's "Ooh My Love".

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2021 1:48 AM

R24 I don't like Seven Wonders but 'Welcome to the Room....Sara' works fine if you remove Stevie's vocals. Family Man also works better as an instrumental track. Stevie sounds like she has emphysema and marbles in her mouth and I never liked Buckingham's scream-shout-singing that he adopted after discovering The Talking Heads. It never worked because he has an androgynous voice to begin with so his yelping comes off I don't know, bratty? He's a mid-high tenor similar in timbre to Christine McVie, who is a contralto. He downright sounds like a choirboy singing in Crystal from the S/T. For these reasons Christine McVie is the MVP of Tango for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2021 1:49 AM

R25 the rock and roll hall of fame is a sham institution. Popularity doesn't mean shit in the long run. Are you really going to argue that Justin Bieber and Bon Jovi are better than Kate Bush? Kate Bush makes Stevie look like uneducated trailer trash in comparison btw.

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2021 1:52 AM

R28-

I DO like Welcome To The Room, Sara.....

Forgot that in my hatred for this album.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2021 1:52 AM

R29 RULES. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2021 1:55 AM

Stevie's popularity is largely unrelated to her talent or musical output from the last 40 years. She's a meme who has been dining on Rumours, Edge of 17, and her witch persona for longer than I have been alive. That said, her Tusk songs are the high point of her creativity. The drop in quality from her Tusk songs to her Bella Donna songs is immense. 'Sara' is a master work of lyricism, singing, arrangement, and production. Edge of 17 sounds like Eye of the Tiger, the lyrics are stupid as fuck, and she sounds like a goat. That more people listen to and enjoy Edge of 17 over 'Sara' is an indictment of a lazy, stupid corn fed American public.

I really don't understand how people can rate her songs/tracks with Fleetwood Mac and her solo tracks in the same footing. There is a difference in quality that rings as clear as a bell in the night (pun intended).

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2021 2:08 AM

Yeah, but you gals went nuts when "Seven Wonders" and Stevie featured in "American Horror Story: Coven." They even incorporated that moderate chart hit into the last Fleetwood Mac tour setlist. Every Fleetwood Mac album with this five person line-up had its own distinct moments and magic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2021 2:20 AM

R33 You can't go wrong with an Arthur Baker remix from the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2021 2:56 AM

I can attest that this was not Stevie's best year.

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2021 3:01 AM

I like how Stevie was fat for a hot minute and her stylist squeezed her into a tight corset made of black upholstery fabric and a jacket with huge puffy sleeves. Momma looked like she could not breathe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2021 3:38 AM

By 1992 Mick had somehow become the second best looking member of Fleetwood Mac and Lady Buckingham fulfilled her dream of being the prettiest girl in Fleetwood Mac. Stevie was in third place here but she would reclaim the top spot by the Dance much to Miss Lindsey's chagrin. Poor Christine never cracked the top 3, ever.

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2021 3:53 AM

Buckingham was so fucking sexy during Tango In The Night...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2021 5:12 AM

OMG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2021 5:51 AM

Loved it! First year in grad school and in Los Angeles. It's strange that at the time I thought it was an old album. This was probably the last album that I appreciated the old time FM sound. I loved the videos, too. They don't make music like this anymore. It's all gone to shit these days. So, kindly f**k off to the nay-sayers.

by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2021 9:24 AM

R49 they don't make music like this anymore because making music that sounds like this is incredibly tedious. A lot of what people think are synths is actually layer upon layer sped up guitar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 31, 2021 8:48 PM

Stevie looked like Honey Boo Boo in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 42February 1, 2021 12:47 AM

R38 noooo his hair looks dumb as shit there. He looks like Eraserhead. Honestly after he shaved the beard he looked like a teenage girl. The eyeliner certainly didn't help. The 80s were not kind to Fleetwood Mac.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 1, 2021 5:39 AM

R20 The marching band was Mick Fleetwood's idea.

by Anonymousreply 44February 1, 2021 6:14 PM

Fleetwood Mac concerts are hagfests.

by Anonymousreply 45February 1, 2021 10:19 PM

OP here. YES I am going to make a Tusk thread next Friday. So prepare your butts.

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2021 2:57 AM

R20

[quote]Lawrence Welk

Try drinking a warm glass of milk before bed. It will make you less cranky, grandad

by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2021 1:11 AM

R43, I love 1980-1981 Lindsey and his glossy curls (before he chopped them off in the shower with manicure scissors) 😂

by Anonymousreply 48February 4, 2021 3:26 PM

Do we have a Fleetwood Mac Troll now? Fleetwood Mac was done when Tango came out and they are even more done now.

by Anonymousreply 49February 4, 2021 3:30 PM

R49 Fleetwood Mac is the gayest rock band of all time. It's no surprise these discussions take off.

by Anonymousreply 50February 4, 2021 5:31 PM

Have a water damage repair guy on speed dial for when R50 ‘s suggestion goes terribly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 51February 6, 2021 8:55 PM

And also the most OVERRATED, next to The Eagles- R50.

Fuck these Boomer greedy egomaniacal scumbags.

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2021 9:03 PM

R52. I agree. They need to go away. Being in a rock band over 50 is cringe.

by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2021 9:11 PM

Amen brother. Or sister!

They are the worst of the worst, as human beings.

Done with those 2 bands.

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2021 9:15 PM

I'm listening to this album right now! Rumours is my favorite album of theirs, but I forgot how great this one is, too.

by Anonymousreply 55February 6, 2021 9:40 PM

"NOW, we can talk. Tusk is a MASTERPIECE. Nothing like a HUGE band taking a fucking chance."

I agree. I think Tusk is a masterpiece, too. If you read the book Storms, though, you'll see that it was Lindsey, not the band, who wanted to take such a a big risk with their follow-up to Rumours. They were NOT happy with the direction Lindsey was going in when they were recording Tusk. The rest of the band would have been very happy to go ahead and record a Rumours 2 instead.

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2021 9:45 PM

Pony dance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2021 10:12 PM

I love Welcome to the Room Sara

by Anonymousreply 58February 7, 2021 12:15 AM

When Jimmy Iovine was on Stern, Stern asked him what working with Stevie Nicks was like. He looked shell shocked and just sighed "Lindsey Buckingham is a genius". So no, Jimmy Iovine should not have produced Tango in the Night.

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2021 5:30 PM

I was depressed with how awful this album was. I spent my allowance on this album. Fleetwood Mac was the soundtrack of my childhood, my older sister LOVED Stevie Nicks, we listened to Rumours, Mirage and Tusk on repeat. I listened to the cassette ONCE. It was too studio, too slick. I don't hate some of the songs as much as I did then and have gotten to the point of tolerance, I would furiously change the radio station when any of those songs came on in the 80's. So awful. I haven't listened to any of their new stuff. And, as a producer, I like Jimmy Iovine normally but this album blows.

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2021 5:44 PM

Is someone getting paid for all these Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Knicks threads, they seem so prevalent and omnipresent to just be some random obsessed stans, Someone’s making money off this right?

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2021 6:20 PM

R61 Who is Stevie Knicks? I only know who Stevie Nicks is.

by Anonymousreply 62February 8, 2021 8:15 PM

Stevie Knicks is the New York version of our Stevie.

by Anonymousreply 63February 8, 2021 9:00 PM

Tango in the Night is the best track on the album, imo.

by Anonymousreply 64February 8, 2021 10:14 PM

R64 Agree. It's often overlooked for the singles. It sound exactly like the album cover looks, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 65February 9, 2021 4:28 AM

The Tango tour introduced the world to Mick Fleetwood's iconic 'Percussion Vest'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 13, 2021 6:52 PM

I fucking hate this album overall but forgot that were actually two songs that I liked-

Caroline and Tango In The Night.

I was around 10 when this came out and I remember thinking how DATED it sounded in 1987. It was the ushering in of hard rock like G&R and also bands like INXS and U2 were at their zenith.

This album sounded so weird to me then, and it still does.

by Anonymousreply 67February 13, 2021 7:00 PM

R67 I think it has stood up better than most of GnR's catalog, but I can see how it sounded dated in 1987. It helps that the pre programmed synth sound was kept to a bare minimum.

by Anonymousreply 68February 13, 2021 7:40 PM

The title (Tango in the Night) always sounded cheesy to me. ("It was a dark and stormy night ...") Little Lies and Everywhere are horrible songs.

by Anonymousreply 69February 13, 2021 7:41 PM

R69- Agree on LL and Everywhere. Garbage. No hook either. Shocked at their success with those singles. Straight up Sears Background Music.

I still like Tango in The Night and Caroline.

And I am sad when I hear about the sincere effort Lindsay and the producers put into this album. (I think there was an awesome article linked somewhere above)

You would never know how experimental and labor intensive this album was by listening to it.

by Anonymousreply 70February 13, 2021 7:50 PM

[quote] You would never know how experimental and labor intensive this album was by listening to it.

by Anonymousreply 71February 13, 2021 7:52 PM

R70 R71 You can absolutely hear all the minute details that went into it will a good set of headphones or decent stereo system, but that's now how people consume music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 72February 13, 2021 8:00 PM

R70 must be Stevie Nicks. Little Lies and Everywhere have no hook? WTF? I don't know if you're trolling or not. The prize for the Fleetwood Mac song with no hook is that fucking bore Gold Dust Woman.

by Anonymousreply 73February 13, 2021 11:41 PM

"The Tango tour introduced the world to Mick Fleetwood's iconic 'Percussion Vest'."

Ugh. Mick Fleetwood is the most tiresome member of the band. I HATE watching videos when he proceeds to do his exhausting, never-ending yet boring drum solos, all the while preening for the camera and making his goofy/maniacle faces. Good God, give it a rest. I long for the day that Christine, the only level-headed one in the group, will wander over to his drum kit during one of these dreadful solos and beat him to death over the head with one of her keyboards.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2021 1:34 AM

Sorry ... "maniacal." Dear me!

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2021 1:35 AM

I also hate Mick Fleetwood. What a tiresome shithead.

by Anonymousreply 76February 18, 2021 2:48 PM

This was also the tour where Stevie threw a chair at Christine.

by Anonymousreply 77March 1, 2021 4:38 PM

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion (I love Tango minus "Welcome to the Room" and "When I See You Again"), at 15 million copies sold Tango ranks as Fleetwood Mac's most popular release after Rumours. It may have "only" reached #7 on the Billboard chart but it lingered in the top 20 for months and months, winning huge numbers over the long haul. Also, it was the first FM album since Rumours to rack up 4 top 20 chart hits (Big Love, Seven Wonders, Everywhere, Little Lies). A big success however you slice it despite representing Stevie Nicks' all time worst collection of songs (which is saying a lot given ROCK A LITTLE and STREET ANGEL).

by Anonymousreply 78March 1, 2021 5:56 PM

R78 Tango was huge in Europe. 3 singles off of Tango hit the top 10 in the UK. Tango is what separates Fleetwood Mac from The Eagles. The Eagles could never have that kind of international appeal. Lindsey put his whole dick & balls and Christine and entire titty into recording it. Stevie was there for 2 seconds, Mick was coked out of his mind and living in a trailer in Lindsey's driveway and John was too drunk and hadn't picked up a bass in 5 years. It's a bit forgotten by US audiences, who only really remember The White album and Rumours.

by Anonymousreply 79March 8, 2021 5:41 AM

I love this album. Pure pop bliss.

by Anonymousreply 80March 16, 2021 6:36 AM

Stevie was a lazy crackhead during this period.

by Anonymousreply 81March 19, 2021 4:15 AM

Crack is whack!

by Anonymousreply 82March 19, 2021 1:35 PM

I used to buy from a small, independent record store. The owner had gotten an advance copy, and he assured me it was gonna be good, with plenty of Stevie on lead and backing vox. When I got my copy the day it came out, it was underwhelming, although I liked it at the time. A recent listen had me skipping tracks like crazy. Stevie does sound terrible.

by Anonymousreply 83March 19, 2021 2:32 PM

Stevie sings like she has a cold. Her voice is like a flat nasally whine. She'd still be a waitress in Phoenix if she did not look like princess Leah.

by Anonymousreply 84March 19, 2021 3:48 PM

# alounge

by Anonymousreply 85March 19, 2021 3:49 PM

I love that Stevie was pressed that she had to record vocals in a vocal booth in Lindsey's bedroom. I mean how dare he. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 86March 31, 2021 7:14 AM

This album was huuuuuuige in the UK

by Anonymousreply 87May 4, 2021 6:41 AM

Mike, if what you wrote is correct (and probably is) and Stevie wrote and recorded “Joan of Arc” in early 1986, that means it’s before the RAL tour which was that summer. So that means Stevie worked on “Tango” before her summer tour and before her Betty Ford stay. Mick’s book made it sound different, that she joined them in the studio AFTER that. So the three “Tango” contributions from Stevie are all pre-Betty Ford vocals? and WTTR...S isn’t a Betty Ford themed song after all?

by Anonymousreply 88May 16, 2021 7:19 PM

meant to put this in my post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 16, 2021 7:19 PM

R88 The only pre rehab vocals that made it to the album are Steven Wonders and harmony on Little Lies, I believe. Mick's book is not a sacrosanct paragon of truth.

by Anonymousreply 90May 16, 2021 7:45 PM

The “I am what I am what I am what I am” vocal part of the extended “Family Man” sounds like pre-Betty Ford, as does Stevie’s end vamp on the “Little Lies” remix.

by Anonymousreply 91May 16, 2021 8:34 PM

Love the Arthur Baker remixes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 7, 2021 4:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!