Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Anyone Watching Ted Lasso?

I wasn't interested in this at all but my husband wanted to watch and now I am obsessed. Funny, sweet, and lots of shirtless dudes. Jason Sudekis' Ted Lasso is such a kind smart character. All the supporting characters are fantastic and the character Roy played by Brett Goldstein pretty much doesn't own a shirt and is hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556April 17, 2022 6:36 PM

Just started watching this, am in a couple of episodes. Very entertaining!

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2021 6:31 PM

I love the team owner-apparently she's a West End actress. Explains her kick-ass karaoke performance.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2021 6:36 PM

Just started watching. I really love it. A lot better than I expected and the cast is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2021 6:41 PM

Yum

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2021 6:42 PM

It’s good. I will watch again before S2.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2021 7:01 PM

Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca) singing "Memory".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2021 7:10 PM

I find Sudeikis so sexy and he has a tantalizing bulge in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2021 1:51 AM

Love this show. It looked shit from the outset but I’m glad I gave it a go. Best thing I’ve seen in YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2021 2:02 AM

I expected to hate Ted Lasso, but I ended up binge watching it in a few days. Man, especially now, it’s nice to witness someone unwilling to let adversity get them down...someone who refuses to hold a grudge....someone who goes out of their way to encourage others.

The show has really grown on me and I look forward to the next few seasons. A few asides: The guys who play Roy and Jamie are so hot...but then, so is every other guy on the team. Also, I think it’s cool how cast members have show running roles (Brett Goldstein is an executive story editor, the woman who plays Coach Beard’s girlfriend is a writer, story editor for the show). Finally, Hannah Waddingham has a beautiful voice. I hate Let It Go, but she really gave it life. She’s gorgeous too...hard to believe it’s Septa Unella from Game of Thrones (by the end of Ted Lasso I kind of wished she had played Cersei).

by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2021 2:02 AM

Hot jew daddy !

by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2021 2:08 AM

I watched it last month and absolutely loved it. The cast is great and Sudeikis is wonderful in the role. I was stunned it was Septa Unella, too. She was fantastic in this. Easily one of the best comedies I've seen in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2021 2:34 AM

You saw that too, R7?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2021 3:55 AM

I really love Nick Mohammed (Nate the Great) on this. Too bad this show gets so much love, but the show he created/stars in and writes called "Intelligence" gets no attention. Maybe because it's unfunny and costars the stilted David Schwimmer. It airs on Sky and now Peacock runs it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2021 4:08 AM

I love Juno Temple as the Posh Spice character. Well, Posh if she was sweet and fun and not a complete cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2021 5:06 AM

Hannah Waddingham is quite funny in her one Benidorm season as trashy trophy wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2021 7:20 AM

Shame. My face will no longer be the last thing Septa Unella sees before she dies. She does make a pretty good plaything for my zombie pet, though.

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2021 8:58 AM

Love this show. Hot men, clever dialogue, and earnest emotional storylines.

by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2021 9:06 AM

I adored this show. I do not give a fuck about sports ball but the characters make up for the setting.

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2021 10:49 AM

On FappleTV. Boo! No wonder I've never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2021 11:03 AM

Brett is 40, no girlfriend, no wife.

We life in hope.

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2021 12:47 PM

I really liked the pilot. Funny writing. After about episode 5 I couldn't take the sappiness.

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2021 2:27 PM

The first episodes were lovely. Then you realize that every episode is the same -- Ted is charming. Someone else doesn't like him. Ted charms that person. The end.

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2021 2:36 PM

I want Jason and Brett to tag team me.

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2021 2:37 PM

And so what....I like charming.

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2021 3:55 PM

it's funny. I watched it a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2021 4:17 PM

I liked the scene where Ted and Rupert play darts and have a little wager.

by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2021 4:28 PM

Does anyone else think Juno Temple resembles an Olsen sister (especially Elizabeth)?

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2021 5:39 PM

I love this show and it deserves all the critical acclaim it's getting. As a football fan and an Anglophile, I adore it even more. Jason Sudeikis and the entire cast are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2021 5:44 PM

Ted: The last time I saw eyes that cold, they were comin' toward Roy Scheider!

Coach Beard: [italic]Jaws[/italic]?

Ted: [italic]All That Jazz.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2021 2:12 AM

I'd watch it, but no way am I paying for another streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2021 2:22 AM

r27, to me she looks more like Catherine Tate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2021 6:23 AM

What a great series - a really authentic take on English supporter culture with great performances. Very deserving of the outstanding ensemble nomination at the SAG.

Juno Temple was great as Keeley, a character clearly based on glamma model and frequent footballer girlfriend Keeley Hazel, who confused matters by turning up as Anthony Head's girlfriend. Loved the friendship between her and Rebecca.

Hannah Waddingham also amazing. This isn't her first football adjacent role - her first stage performance was Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Beautiful Game, and she got to record the lead promo single, but unlike Michael Ball, Dina Carroll and Boyzone she didn't get a big hit with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2021 3:46 PM

Love Rebecca!

Bitch goddess!

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2021 3:34 AM

Haven't seen Ted Lasso, but I did see Hannah in The Beautiful Game in London years ago. Actually one of ALW's better shows. The video above is just plain weird -nothing at all to do with the meaning of the song in the show. Whatever -I'm happy to see this talented actress is doing well!

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2021 3:47 AM

Reason #1 to watch Ted Lasso - Roy Kent (played by Brett Goldstein)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2021 2:03 PM

Reason #2 to watch Ted Lasson - Jamie Tartt, played by Phil Dunster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2021 2:03 PM

It’s a really good show. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. It is uplifting but also realistic.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2021 2:53 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2021 11:54 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2021 11:54 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2021 11:56 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2021 11:56 PM

I'm still kind of shocked that this is the same Phil Dunster from the twee Dawn French mini series The Trouble With Maggie Cole where he plays such a bland nondescript character. The miniseries itself is pretty nice though.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2021 12:08 AM

I'm over straight men. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2021 12:14 AM

Well go on then, Miss Marsha P Johnson, with your woke self!

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2021 1:03 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2021 1:36 AM

The hype is right. After 50+ years of the culture largely fixated on the anti-hero, it's refreshing to see a show where the main character is a nice person with good intentions who tries to do well by others

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2021 12:38 PM

I'm up to the episode where Jamie went to the charity auction dressed douchebag-style, in a suit jacket with no shirt underneath, and a horny old matron won the bid on Roy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 23, 2021 12:48 PM

Just finished Ted Lasso, what a fantastic show! After watching this I keep thinking how did Olivia Wilde leave Jason Sudekis, who is hot as fuck, for little boy Harry Styles?

Great show, wish Season 2 was ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2021 4:27 PM

So, Jason S. is hung, right? That's not just khaki-bunching?

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2021 4:45 PM

r49 seems like he's been blessed.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2021 4:57 PM

Last night I had a funny dream about this show in which Roy comes out to Ted as bisexual and then comes on to him. Ted, in typically kindly, understanding fashion, isn't creeped out and decides to venture into the man pond, because "you never know if you'll like something unless you try it!"

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2021 6:55 PM

Sudeikis has some serious meat

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2021 6:56 PM

LOL. I doubt Ted would take Roy's offer, but he would say with a beaming smile "Good for you, my man!".

by Anonymousreply 53March 11, 2021 6:57 PM

Roy and Jamie would pull him into a circle jerk.

by Anonymousreply 54March 11, 2021 7:01 PM

Season two is out now. Unlike the first season which initially dropped three episodes, this is strictly one a week.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2021 5:21 AM

they really put jamie tartt on fake ‘love island’. god this show has such a big brain

and if i see anyone else say he reminds them of jack grealish because of that fucking haircut? its on sight

yes jack is a nasty bitch whore but this is still too far

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2021 6:41 PM

R21 has it.

Perhaps it’s just a cultural difference of expectation, but for me as a Brit I needed more balls and teeth and kickings of either. More schadenfreude and desperation, people making right mugs of themselves without it being endearing or cute. We’re weaned on bleak black comedy over here, so to see our game presented in this treacly feelgood way doesn’t quite agree. It feels off, somehow, and not representative of the footie I know well.

Well done to the writers and Jason for making the game more accessible and understandable to Americans, though. Perhaps your MLS will come on leaps and bounds, now.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2021 10:27 AM

Loving the new therapist character.

Hoping Roy and Rebecca don’t become a couple.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2021 1:00 AM

I still remember fondly when Jason Sudeikis sucked Zac Efron's toes on SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2021 1:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2021 1:08 AM

It's an okay show. The fact that it doesn't involve sassy divas, drug cartels, real-life crime or Gen Z people having sex makes it somewhat unique in today's programming.

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote] Then you realize that every episode is the same -- Ted is charming. Someone else doesn't like him. Ted charms that person. The end.

But it isn't.

The show started to do it last season, as Ted had to deal with his divorce. He wasn't the ideal husband and they grew apart. They're starting to make him more complex.

Now, this season they're shaking the table with the team's therapist coming in. She doesn't fall for Ted's usual "tricks" but she's also good at her job. Ted doesn't know how to deal with it. I think by the end of the season they'll have a healthy respect for one another but not before Ted has to admit that he's not perfect and sometimes needs help too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2021 1:20 AM

LOL at Roy calling the little girls he coaches "a bunch of little pricks"

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2021 1:25 AM

Also: Jan the Dutch jerk

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2021 1:27 AM

Finally just catching up with Ted and Roy and Jamie now. 3 epsiodes in and I'm loving it.

by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2021 7:29 PM

The Christmas episode is cute. Poor li'l Stank Breath.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2021 5:50 AM

Colin (Billy Harris) brought up that Bantr, the dating app Keeley shills for, sounds like Grindr. I wonder if he'll get a coming-out storyline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2021 6:09 AM

[quote]Loving the new therapist character.

That's Sarah Niles, better known for playing the iconic character of Reba in Beautiful People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote]That's Sarah Niles, better known for playing the iconic character of Reba in Beautiful People

I had no idea that's her. Everything I've seen her in post BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE she's playing a DCI or some other put together professional.

James Lance who plays Ted Crimm, The Independent was a fetching young thing in "I'm Alan Partridge" with Steve Coogan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote]I had no idea that's her. Everything I've seen her in post BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE she's playing a DCI or some other put together professional.

Yes, she was a senior detective in that awful Noah Clarke peeping tom thing, she was one of the police officers who interviewed Michaela Coel about her rape in I May Destroy You and she was a teacher in Rocks.

I can't look at her without hearing Olivia Colman shouting "REBA!"

[quote]James Lance who plays Ted Crimm, The Independent was a fetching young thing in "I'm Alan Partridge" with Steve Coogan.

If any Ted Lasso fans are keen on another quirky British/American collaboration starring James Lance, be sure to check out The Book Group. Janice McCann rivals Keeley in the best fictional footballer's wife league

by Anonymousreply 70August 21, 2021 7:21 AM

Ted Lasso reminds me of Gomer Pyle. Gollllleee!

by Anonymousreply 71August 27, 2021 9:45 PM

Show is funny as hell.

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 72August 27, 2021 11:26 PM

The episode started a bit uneven for me, but it's been picking up strength. Today's episode was my favorite this season so far.

by Anonymousreply 73August 27, 2021 11:29 PM

Why is this thread lined out? I mean it’s just Ted Lasso

by Anonymousreply 74August 27, 2021 11:30 PM

It's dreadfully dull and delicately made for Appletards. If I eant to watch an entertaining series about Brit football, I will just watch Footballers' Wives.

by Anonymousreply 75August 27, 2021 11:44 PM

It's centers around football but it is not about football. Just like Scrubs took place within a hospital but was not a medical series.

by Anonymousreply 76August 27, 2021 11:47 PM

I really love this show.

And I love that it will only be on for three seasons. I think they can maintain quality for that time.

Higgins and his wife are my new faves.

But the press is overdoing the love. I hope this show doesn't get Fleabag'd, where no one wants to hear its name again after every award on earth is presented to the show.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote]And I love that it will only be on for three seasons. I think they can maintain quality for that time.

R77, recently EW talked to Jason, Bill Lawrence, Brendon Hunt.

The problem is they didn't know how much people would genuinely love the show. So while Jason planned on 3 seasons, he's open to possibly do more. (With the implication that Apple would have to pay up.) Bill Lawrence the EP wants to continue and joked that they'd move the show to the US if they had to because Jason just wants to spend time with his kids. Brendon Hunt says he'll do whatever Jason wants.

by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2021 11:58 PM

Oh, I wish they'd really keep it to 3, maybe 4.

by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2021 12:00 AM

Overrated and overhyped and I see AppleTV's PR drive is going into overdrive.

by Anonymousreply 80August 28, 2021 12:04 AM

R64, Jan isn’t a prick. They make it clear he’s just Dutch. The Dutch have a well known reputation for being direct and honest even if it can come off as somewhat rude. He was even that way about himself when he said something like “My playing was crap and I am absolutely responsible for it being crap.”

by Anonymousreply 81August 28, 2021 12:13 AM

Brett Goldstein is pure sex. I would lick that furry body everywhere.

There's lots of nice eye candy there. Including Mr Bulgy himself, Sudeikis.

by Anonymousreply 82August 28, 2021 1:30 PM

They're hinting at getting Ted and Rebecca together.

I am on the fence on that one. Part of me thinks it's an obvious trope, part of me thinks it would be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 83August 28, 2021 1:35 PM

[quote] James Lance who plays Ted Crimm, The Independent

TRENT Crimm, the Independent!

by Anonymousreply 84August 28, 2021 1:36 PM

The writing on the show really is excellent. It gets so much right about the football culture and London/English/Britishness.

by Anonymousreply 85August 28, 2021 4:26 PM

Like this show very much. Feel good TV, with very good writing and performances. About three episodes into the second season.

by Anonymousreply 86August 28, 2021 4:31 PM

I think the show is more likely to have Ted and Roy have a ding dong, jeopardizing her friendship with Keeley. He’s the one who told Rebecca she was too good for that boring guy in the early part of the season, remember?

by Anonymousreply 87August 28, 2021 6:47 PM

Oops, hah, I mean Roy and Rebecca. Although I do realize putting Roy with Ted could have been a Freudian slip.

by Anonymousreply 88August 28, 2021 6:48 PM

Roy's hairy balls slamming against Ted's pucker.....ooh, I need a lie down now.

by Anonymousreply 89August 28, 2021 6:49 PM

but seriously.....

***don't read on if you haven't seen much of season 2***

.....my thing with this show that makes it great in my eyes is it almost never goes where you expect it to go. And that was especially so with the whole Ted slept with Sassy thing. I was so expecting that to be a plot twist, that once Ted was happy she came back with a baby or something. But they made fun of that in like 30 seconds flat in a scene between Sassy and Rebecca and I was like, holy fuck, this is great.

by Anonymousreply 90August 28, 2021 6:52 PM

I think we’ll be led to believe that she’ll enter into a relationship with Ted, or even reciprocate Sam’s overtures via bantr but the final twist is she sleeps with Roy.

by Anonymousreply 91August 28, 2021 6:56 PM

Sam can get it.

by Anonymousreply 92August 28, 2021 6:58 PM

I can see why Brits find it a bit cringey - it’s not nearly sarcastic or dark enough - but then it’s not meant for Brits. As evidenced by the scene in which a British character walks into a venue and asks where the “restroom” is. No one in the UK ever says “restroom”. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 93August 28, 2021 7:04 PM

Love the sight gag of Roy dry heaving after he smelt his little niece's breath. What made it more hilarious was that he gave that high almighty speech beforehand that it couldn't be worse than what he smelt before.

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote]Brett Goldstein is pure sex. I would lick that furry body everywhere.

His manly sandpaper voice makes me feel all funny in my downtown business district.

by Anonymousreply 95August 28, 2021 7:55 PM

Not true, R93. My British godchild uses the word. “Restroom” is yet another American term which has found its way into British usage. Like “to go” and “takeout” have replaced “takeaway.” Don’t you think someone on set would have pointed it out if “restroom” was only used in the US? They shoot the damn thing in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 96August 28, 2021 8:11 PM

[quote]I can see why Brits find it a bit cringey - it’s not nearly sarcastic or dark enough - but then it’s not meant for Brits. As evidenced by the scene in which a British character walks into a venue and asks where the “restroom” is. No one in the UK ever says “restroom”. Ever.

Which scene was that? Which character?

The British actors are all very experienced and would say in rehearsal or readthrough if the line didn't make sense,

This Brit doesn't find it cringey - he finds it spot on and very authentic.

by Anonymousreply 97August 28, 2021 9:48 PM

The Christmas episode in Season Two was the best. the writers should get an Emmy nomination for that one.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote] The Christmas episode in Season Two was the best. the writers should get an Emmy nomination for that one.

It was great, every second of it.

I started crying at the animated opening credits. I was done for at that point......

by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2021 11:40 PM

I thought the bit at the end with the Higgins child seeing “Santa” whoosh across the night sky was too schmaltzy, though.

FYI It very rarely snows in London around Christmastime. London is in a basin. It doesn’t snow much at all. If it does it’s usually not until late January/February.

by Anonymousreply 100August 29, 2021 12:16 AM

I thought that part was cute - that only he saw it. If it had been others seeing it that would have totally cheesed out.

by Anonymousreply 101August 29, 2021 12:22 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 29, 2021 12:22 AM

The Christmas special is nice, but I find it difficult to believe that Rebecca, before she met Ted, would run such an operation at Christmas for years, apparently.

Loved the Higgins family plot with all the players showing up at his home. That really warmed my heart.

by Anonymousreply 103August 29, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote]Loved the Higgins family plot with all the players showing up at his home. That really warmed my heart.

It was kind of a variation on Bob Cratchit inviting Scrooge to Christmas dinner. You have expected the toast at dinner to be "God bless us, everyone!"

by Anonymousreply 104August 29, 2021 1:33 AM

[quote] You have expected the toast at dinner to be "God bless us, everyone!"

They got that out of the way earlier on in the episode with Jamie saying, "God bless me, everyone."

by Anonymousreply 105August 29, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote] The Christmas special is nice, but I find it difficult to believe that Rebecca, before she met Ted, would run such an operation at Christmas for years, apparently.

I thought they explained this, that it was an obligation with Rupert but that she grew to enjoy it after they were split up.

by Anonymousreply 106August 29, 2021 1:32 PM

Harriet Walter was good as Rebecca’s mother but does she have to be in everything these days? I think they should have cast someone more glamorous, like Stephanie Beacham or Francesca Annis.

by Anonymousreply 107August 30, 2021 2:29 PM

Oh, I knew I recognized her from somewhere. Of course that's who played her.

by Anonymousreply 108August 30, 2021 6:15 PM

Wow I didn’t recognize her!

by Anonymousreply 109August 30, 2021 7:35 PM

She’s usually a brunette.

by Anonymousreply 110August 30, 2021 8:59 PM

It's as if Fiona Shaw and Harriet Walters are the only British women of a certain age who can get TV roles.

by Anonymousreply 111August 31, 2021 5:41 PM

Jason Sudeikis is hot!

by Anonymousreply 112August 31, 2021 5:48 PM

And hung!

by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote]It's as if Fiona Shaw and Harriet Walters are the only British women of a certain age who can get TV roles.

Well Fiona Shaw isn't British but yeah, you never see Miranda Richardson on TV, or Emma Thompson. Or Dame Frances Barber or Jenny Agutter, or Lindsay Duncan or Celia Imrie. Imelda Staunton just can't get a job these days. And Juliet Stevenson? Pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2021 6:37 PM

Your snark, R114, is tiresome.

Yes, all the others you mention get work, too, but on comparatively minor international projects, not things like Succession, Ted Lasso and Killing Eve. And Dame Emma Thompson doesn’t do TV, you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 115September 1, 2021 3:51 AM

[quote] Usually used with "Mama's mussy"

Mama's mussy is never used, though. That's why it's always hissing for cagemeat!

by Anonymousreply 116September 1, 2021 4:02 AM

Naked Luca should have shown peen.

by Anonymousreply 117September 1, 2021 2:15 PM

[quote]Yes, all the others you mention get work, too, but on comparatively minor international projects, not things like Succession, Ted Lasso and Killing Eve. And Dame Emma Thompson doesn’t do TV, you dolt.

She doesn't? Oh,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 1, 2021 4:33 PM

Hey! This thread isn't about some withered old trouts! It's about ME!

by Anonymousreply 119September 1, 2021 5:25 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 120September 4, 2021 5:04 AM

I don't think Jason is hot. not into facial hair

by Anonymousreply 121September 4, 2021 5:23 AM

There's so many things to love about this series but the way it allows actors to shine despite the lack of screen time is so well done.

Nick Mohammed is such a good actor, and the character's turn is unexpected but totally believable. And Juno Temple is amazing. And that scene from Sex And The City! So perfect.

And there REALLY IS a Roy Is Sorry for Not Understanding Keeley playlist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 4, 2021 8:15 AM

R120, I disagree. I think Nate’s behavior is disgusting but it clearly stems from his non-relationship with his hard as nails father.

by Anonymousreply 123September 4, 2021 1:06 PM

Is it me or has the show become super twee and precious this season? Everything wrapped up so cutesy and when you look at the season as a whole thus far, Jason Sudeikis barely has true dialogue - he ONLY speaks in the increasingly irritating hokey anecdotes. That’s become really old. From the sugary Mumford song opening to the way they’ve made the once ballsy brassy team owner into some giggling middle aged, stereotypical teenager woman-child who never does anything “business” anymore. She just walks around typing on her Bumble app. Talk about sexist writing.

And the Nate character mumbling all the time is hard to hear, and he’s literally the least likeable character. He seems like a psychopath, the kind of guy who’s got a flesh collection back home in a special closet. I’ve grown to hate him.

by Anonymousreply 124September 4, 2021 1:26 PM

Ugh To look at Nate for too long makes my peen retreat. He’s a troll with a wonky eye that mumbles.

by Anonymousreply 125September 4, 2021 1:47 PM

Thanks r122 it’s on Spotify too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 4, 2021 5:16 PM

R124, you obviously haven’t seen the most recent episode yet. Sudeikis gets to do more than his bumbling shit.

by Anonymousreply 127September 4, 2021 6:12 PM

I couldn't help but stare at his crotch while Sudeikis did the whole laying on the couch bit in the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 128September 4, 2021 6:17 PM

R124 I thought the sound on my TV was going in the scenes where Nate was talking!

by Anonymousreply 129September 4, 2021 6:21 PM

Could the lawnmower guy PLEASE run over koala faced Nate so we don’t have to suffer this weird troll anymore? He’s detestable.

And WHY was the sour psychologist crow-barred into the series this season? What’s her purpose? Was it a diversity hire? And why would a bunch of butch football players want to see a therapist so often? And at their place of work?!!

by Anonymousreply 130September 9, 2021 3:53 AM

I like it, but the characters are starting to get a bit over the top In the second season (Roy Kent’s growling, etc). They doubled down on the things that made them funny in season one, but now, it’s too much and a bit too farcical. I feel like it should have been one season, but since it’s a US series, it will have twelve.

by Anonymousreply 131September 9, 2021 4:09 AM

Wrong, R131. Sudeikis has always stated Ted Lasso will have three seasons only.

by Anonymousreply 132September 9, 2021 1:25 PM

R132 - Not R131 but you know as well as I do that American series television usually milks the shit out of these things. They'll throw money at Sudeikis and he'll agree to "I thought Ted just needed one or four more seasons to tell his story" bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 133September 9, 2021 1:27 PM

I really love it but they're going overboard with the sexy Roy Kent character turning him into some love-starved puppy one minute, and some growling, grunting rage lunatic the next. Just let the character be what he started out being.

Suidekis' Lasso is the one that's becoming really too much for me. The cutesy, hokey statements and "inspiring" talks. We never see anyone on this show actually work. They've turned the giant, Amazonian team owner from a more steeled but soft-hearted female executive to some giggling layabout who sits on a sofa, in EVERY SINGLE SCENE she's in, gobbling-up cookies and thumbing through Tinder all day. And the trajectory of her and the young African footballer eventually discovering they're talking to each other..... that's only gonna make the show more farcical than it is now. There'll be no chemistry or believability in that. (By the way, wouldn't a wealthy British socialite have had enough shortbread in her life not to be so impressed by someone's homemade cookies that she'll gorge on a box of them every day?)

The red-bearded coach is periodically funny but in the last episode, they essentially made him supernatural by disappearing from an office with only one door. (I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of hairy ginger bear is under that shirt and if it's worth a second look.)

Wish they'd back up. Get rid of the sour, mumbling doctor woman whom absolutely nobody would be wanting or needing to see with such frequency that she would immediately give up whatever job she had before, and start officing full-time at a football stadium, where all her patients are both exposed at their place of work by revealing they're in psychological therapy and revealing their frequency of visits. What IS her purpose? Seriously. The series wasn't calling for anything like this. Is there a law in Britain that a certain number of cast members must be black?

Finally, we should all deluge the show's Twitter account by demanding they kill-off the evil mumbling little Paki who nobody seems to like or care about.

by Anonymousreply 134September 9, 2021 1:39 PM

[quote]The series wasn't calling for anything like this. Is there a law in Britain that a certain number of cast members must be black? Finally, we should all deluge the show's Twitter account by demanding they kill-off the evil mumbling little Paki who nobody seems to like or care about.

Such a shame the presence of a black woman and an Asian man on a tv show is causing you such distress.

Maybe you should stick to Fox News?

by Anonymousreply 135September 9, 2021 1:49 PM

Oh, take your woke bullshit and shove it up yer hole, R135. You literally cruise the board looking to be "offended", don't you? Such a shame the irreverent snark and "pointless bitchery" of a gay mens' discussion forum offends you so. Maybe you should stick to HuffPo? Or is it the DailyKos?

by Anonymousreply 136September 9, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote]Oh, take your woke bullshit and shove it up yer hole, [R135]. You literally cruise the board looking to be "offended", don't you? Such a shame the irreverent snark and "pointless bitchery" of a gay mens' discussion forum offends you so. Maybe you should stick to HuffPo? Or is it the DailyKos?

You honestly think referring to a British Asian actor as a "Paki" is acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 137September 9, 2021 2:00 PM

I’ve had r136 blocked, but I’m sure the racist asshole is leaving his turds all over DL. I hate people who drop racist shit and then accuse the rest of us of being offended. We ARE offended. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 138September 9, 2021 2:02 PM

I'm not here for your "acceptance" R137. You have no idea what true racism is and you wouldn't believe me if I told you anyway. But know how stupid your assumptions make you out to be. Now join the conversation or fuck off. I won't indulge you again.

by Anonymousreply 139September 9, 2021 2:10 PM

R132, I read that as well—but I wonder if Jason would extend it if enough money were thrown at him. Apple has deep pockets. Does anyone know if this is Apple’s most watched series? I would think the Jennifer Aniston show is. It will get some Emmy love, I think, which will hopefully help viewership. (Not that it worked for Arrested Development.)

by Anonymousreply 140September 9, 2021 6:46 PM

R133, uhhhh…no he won’t.

Sudeikis has a very clear vision for his show and he’s not letting it go past three seasons. It’s not like he’s Tim fucking Allen.

by Anonymousreply 141September 10, 2021 1:24 AM

1-3 seasons would be a UK series.

US series will keep it going or do some shit spin-off as long as a handful of people hold on. See The Walking Dead thread.

by Anonymousreply 142September 10, 2021 1:28 AM

Jesus, R142, how dense are you?

That isn’t going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 143September 10, 2021 1:48 AM

It's not unheard of for a Brit show to get more seasons than the creator and showrunner intended. Absolutely Fabulous had plenty of seasons added to its original run, for example.

Of course, I'd give the creator mad respect for sticking to his guns if there is more demand. It's better to leave fans wanting for more than to for them to beg for the show to be put out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 144September 10, 2021 6:51 AM

R143, considering that this has happened many times, I don’t understand why you think it’s crazy to consider it won’t happen here. I mean, do you personally know Jason sudekis or Bill Lawrence? Bill Lawrence in particular-talented for sure, but I don’t know if Scrubs or Cougar Town ever made him serious bank. In any case, this is a moot point if Ted Lasso isn’t pulling down ratings, and we don’t know that it is.

by Anonymousreply 145September 10, 2021 12:39 PM

[quote]That isn’t going to happen.

[quote]Sudeikis has a very clear vision for his show and he’s not letting it go past three seasons. It’s not like he’s Tim fucking Allen.

[quote]Sudeikis has always stated Ted Lasso will have three seasons only.

But actually, he said:

[quote]"I don't know. The story that I know is the one that I wanted to tell, and so that's the one we're telling with the help of numerous people in front of and behind the camera, so it's by no means me typing every key stroke and saying every word. It's nowhere near like that. But the story that's being told--that three-season arc--is one that I see, know, and understood," he said. "I'm glad that they are willing to pay for those three seasons. As far as what happens after that, who knows? I don't know."

by Anonymousreply 146September 11, 2021 3:19 AM

If they think this makes sense then I might bail: Rebecca the fiercely independent “bitch boss” would be enamored with an online person she can’t see or speak audibly to then meets said person and it’s her 21 year old child like employee. Nope. She’s old enough to be his mum. She belongs with Ted. It seemed like the writers were also hinting that the annoyingly bland, frumpy frau therapist would be hooking up with Ted. It’s Uber woke to appeal to the PC crowd and it’s shite writing. Make Jamie Tartt play for our team. Give him more layers to explain his bad relationship with his abusive father. And that Muslim troll with the lazy eye and moles needs to be run over or get a kick in the head from the footballers. Hate Nate. Love sexy nasty growling Roy Kent. And the French footballer is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 147September 11, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote]Rebecca the fiercely independent “bitch boss” would be enamored with an online person she can’t see or speak audibly to then meets said person and it’s her 21 year old child like employee. Nope. She’s old enough to be his mum.

Rebecca, is hooking up with her player [bold]because[/bold] she's a fiercely independent "bitch boss" that is getting 21 year old dick.

And she connected with someone because of something that had nothing to do with their looks or their money. That is why she's giving it a shot albeit reluctantly.

[quote]She belongs with Ted. It seemed like the writers were also hinting that the annoyingly bland, frumpy frau therapist would be hooking up with Ted.

She absolutely should not be with Ted. They are completely different people. As for the therapist, they haven't hinted that Ted would be with her at all.

She's annoyingly bland to counter Ted's syrupy sweet attitude. It took them all season to figure out how to deal with each other because she sees through his bullshit and he couldn't deal with it. That's also exactly why they need each other. He made her lighten up and she laughed which was pointed out. She made him more serious and he told her about his personal life without making a joke.

The only person Ted has connected with is Rebecca's friend but he's not in a place to be in a relationship right now. (And neither was she which is why it worked.)

[quote]It’s Uber woke to appeal to the PC crowd and it’s shite writing.

Woke? Oh, dear. If you can't make your point without using that word then there's no point.

by Anonymousreply 148September 11, 2021 4:15 AM

I can still see Rebecca hooking up with Roy in Season 3, jeopardizing her friendship with Keeley.

by Anonymousreply 149September 12, 2021 12:22 AM

So many “people” here are so bothered by the fact that the therapist is black.

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 150September 12, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote]So many “people” here are so bothered by the fact that the therapist is black. Why is that?

The same reason there's "concern" about the captain of a nuclear submarine being played by a black actor and a senior Navy captain being played by an Asian actress in the BBC's drama series Vigil.

by Anonymousreply 151September 12, 2021 7:57 AM

I love the therapist. I think she’s great.

by Anonymousreply 152September 12, 2021 8:07 AM

Waiting for Christa Miller to be somehow shoehorned into this show.

by Anonymousreply 153September 12, 2021 8:09 AM

I love this show so much, it’s very feel good without being mushy.

by Anonymousreply 154September 12, 2021 9:19 PM

I want Hannah Waddingham to peg me with a giant dildo

by Anonymousreply 155September 13, 2021 12:10 AM

Friday's episode was just so, so good.

Not everything is exciting, but I love that these characters are people and they (almost) never go for the obvious trope.

I'm glad Sharon is not the usual "sassy black woman"/magic black woman who fixes everything and makes them have an epiphany, etc. She was hilarious in this episode - the messages she left Ted - LMAO.

The ending with Roy and Jamie.....just, wow.

by Anonymousreply 156September 13, 2021 12:48 AM

I agree with [147] It seems odd to see a woman of her age, stature and wealth use a dating app. Then she hooks up with a guy who can be her child and truly isn’t anything like her. I love the idea of her with Ted but need a huge dramatic event to make them see it would make sense. The holiday episode where they effortlessly played Mr and Mrs Claus types was a hint in my estimation of how they have chemistry but they can’t fathom it yet. I do think Jamie Tartt being gay makes perfect sense. And would add to his story. The short FUG troll needs to be sent off to some other club to get a taste of reality. He was handed this job because Ted Is Ned Flanders. Nate could never hack it working in his position on another team. He needs to get humiliated to see what a cunt he’s been. Hell no to Ted with the therapist in a romantic relationship. She seems to like snatch, or A sexual maybe but not seeing her with a man. She’s too butch.

by Anonymousreply 157September 13, 2021 12:48 AM

I can't believe Hannah W was also The Bitch That Said Shame A Lot on Game of Thrones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 13, 2021 12:50 AM

I was a little relieved that the “big revelation” at the end of the episode wasn’t that Jamie had been sexually abused by his father and his two friends.

by Anonymousreply 159September 13, 2021 1:22 AM

I agree, r156. The expectation in a regular mediocre tv show was that the team would win in Wembley, but they lost—badly.

by Anonymousreply 160September 13, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote]Then she hooks up with a guy who can be her child and truly isn’t anything like her.

Sam is more like Rebecca than the hot himbo she hooked up with on the other app.

[quote]I love the idea of her with Ted but need a huge dramatic event to make them see it would make sense.

There are people who don't Sam and Rebecca because she's his boss; but some of the same people want her with Ted despite her being his boss, as well.

by Anonymousreply 161September 13, 2021 1:29 AM

I think the storyline is the app is/was some business venture of Keeley and all started using it to support her and got hooked.

by Anonymousreply 162September 13, 2021 1:29 AM

I would like this show more but since there are no Asians I feel underrepresented.

by Anonymousreply 163September 13, 2021 1:31 AM

Nate is being a cunt and his turn over the last several episodes is not my favorite part of the show, but I assume the whole story has a point.

The only one I really don't quite get is Beard.

by Anonymousreply 164September 13, 2021 1:35 AM

Nate is like a lot of people who get promoted into leadership/manager roles because of nepotism and perpetually suffer from feelings of inadequacy. They overcompensate and think being an asshole bully is the way to gain/maintain respect. A lot of times they lack the skills to lead and think being in charge is equal to being an asshole. It’s a story arc, so I’m sure there’s a point to it.

by Anonymousreply 165September 13, 2021 1:56 AM

I think the point to it could actually mean Nate committing suicide in A Very Special Episode of Ted Lasso.

by Anonymousreply 166September 13, 2021 2:44 AM

I thought all the signs were there that Jamie Tart is a closet case. There was also the cute footballer that immediately knew what Grindr was. There's the storyline just sitting there waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 167September 13, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]Is it me or has the show become super twee and precious this season? Everything wrapped up so cutesy and when you look at the season as a whole thus far, Jason Sudeikis barely has true dialogue - he ONLY speaks in the increasingly irritating hokey anecdotes.

It's not this season. It's the entire show.

I couldn't make it through the first season. It's treacly sentimental twaddle.

by Anonymousreply 168September 13, 2021 3:45 AM

I think Nate will turn against the group at some point and screw them all over. He'll either out Ted as having panic attacks or Rebecca's relationship in a fit of rage. Then maybe end up on another team against them at some point. Either way, he's headed for a fall. Even the thing he named in his confession was a backwards compliment to himself. Of course, at some point they'll all forgive him because it's Ted Lasso.

I think they're pointing towards the therapist as having a drinking problem with all of the bottles of alcohol around her home. She'll help Ted deal with the fallout from his father's death and he'll help her deal with her alcohlism.

[quote]The only one I really don't quite get is Beard.

I don't think anyone is supposed to get him. Ted gets him. That's about it. His emotional distance makes what he says more profound or funny. He was the perfect person to call out Nate when Nate was mean to that player because it definitely shook Nate up and he did it in a way that Ted or Roy couldn't do. He got straight to the point and then he was done with him.

[quote]I thought all the signs were there that Jamie Tart is a closet case. There was also the cute footballer that immediately knew what Grindr was. There's the storyline just sitting there waiting to happen.

I thought they were going to go that route before, especially since the first time I saw Phil Dunster, the actor he was being fucked by Julian Morris in "The Man With the Orange Shirt." So he has no problem with those roles. They also don't have a gay character. I just don't see them doing it this season if they do it at all. This show spends all season telegraphing stuff and they haven't with him and this as bluntly as they usually do yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 13, 2021 4:26 AM

I think Season 1 was fine because it was new and fun. Season 2 feels like when they turn an SNL skit into a movie. What was fun and amusing for ten minutes becomes much less so after ninety minutes.

by Anonymousreply 170September 13, 2021 4:27 AM

Phil Dunster will always be Cineworld Man to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 13, 2021 8:21 AM

Second seasons are always difficult when the first was a surprise hit. High expectations can lead to an underwhelming experience.

by Anonymousreply 172September 13, 2021 8:28 AM

Jamie and Colin would make a hot couple.

by Anonymousreply 173September 13, 2021 9:47 AM

But it's been a decent second season. Several very strong episodes. I don't see this as a sophomore slump at all.

I think by its nature it has to go wider/deeper in story and some of those choices will piss people off. But it's also serialized storytelling, and so many are used to being manipulated and having story ramped up and hyped up in that method.

by Anonymousreply 174September 13, 2021 2:48 PM

Fans of the first season (including me) will look back at this show and agree that the Season 2 Christmas episode is when this show jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 175September 13, 2021 2:57 PM

Kinda have go agree with R175. The Christmas episode was just a little much.

They've pretty much gelded everyone on this show. Just totally burned through the original posture of nearly every character and have remade them into soft, much, surgary cartoon characters. From the ballsy, calculating team owner to her bitchy executive assistant/accounting guy, to sexy Roy Kent, Jaimee Tartt et al. They've even taken the edge out of Keealey who was supposed to be this highly recognizable B-list, social media celeb type. She was doing ads for whisky and stuff like that, being recognized everywhere she went. Now, she's like some giggling intern going to an office every day. Would she really stop pursuing fame so cold turkey that way just to be the "savvy media lady" for the team?

I honestly wish Nate and the sour-puss, bland doctor chick would take a hike to another show or something. Both characters are major bores and in no way seem likable. Nate always came across as a sociopath. Like the guy who stalks and murders young nursing students. He's just creepy from all sides. And cruel too.

by Anonymousreply 176September 13, 2021 4:00 PM

Caught a few episodes, can’t really be arsed with it. Too American, too sterilised, too feel-good—doesn’t really capture the spirt of the game in a 3D authentic way for me. They just seem to be pinching little sensationalised bits from the real game and tossing them into a fairly treacly run-of-the-mill sports sitcom.

And I was only watching early Premier League as a baby, saying that, so it’s not as if I’m weaned on we-eat-nails football stories. I just come away from TL wanting more guts, more grit, more something. FOOTBALLER’S WIVES from back in the day was more compelling.

If there’s a TL episode in future that, say, objectifies Jordan Henderson in a new way, then I might become very interested. That man could do whatever to me, I don’t even care (I’ll take a humiliating and dirty one-time pity fuck, honestly). Otherwise, not the show for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 13, 2021 4:32 PM

The cast and people behind the scenes all just got raises which was holding up the start of Season 3.

Warner teamed up with Apple to, "show them the money."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 13, 2021 5:53 PM

[quote] I thought all the signs were there that Jamie Tart is a closet case.

Given that the character is now basically an IQ-boosted Jack Grealish expy, that would be a pretty fucking brave and spicy statement from the writers’ room.

by Anonymousreply 179September 13, 2021 10:07 PM

This is not a show about soccer or sports just like "The Office" isn't a show about manufacturing paper. It's a workplace comedy.

People are so fucking dense.

by Anonymousreply 180September 14, 2021 11:49 AM

Anyone who says this is a feel good show is utterly missing the point. If anything, the show is about questioning the whole idea of reflexively feeling good. Hint: the team keeps losing.

by Anonymousreply 181September 14, 2021 12:04 PM

R181 yeah, no, somehow I don’t think it’s show is BoJacking us. Ceci n’est pas deep.

by Anonymousreply 182September 14, 2021 12:40 PM

I just don’t get technically how a relegated team like Richmond can go to the FA Cup. And the show has never explained that. When they first brought up it was happening (on that Soccer Saturday show) I thought it was a dream sequence.

by Anonymousreply 183September 14, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote]I just don’t get technically how a relegated team like Richmond can go to the FA Cup. And the show has never explained that

It doesn't matter for the FA Cup. That's sort of outside of everything else. You don't have to be in the Premier League to play in it.

The real issue was that no one outside of the top leagues had ever won it in 40 years, which is what Higgens said on the show. It's one of those things where they weren't expected to win it, as per Higgins and history, but maybe the audience thought they would because they're used to that trope from these kinds of shows?

I don't think anyone thought they would lose that horribly.

It also wouldn't have promoted them had they won it. They would have simply been part of the Europa League but it wouldn't have gotten them back in the Premier League.

by Anonymousreply 184September 14, 2021 4:40 PM

I'd be shocked if this show even hinted at the existence of homosexuals let alone have even a minor character be identified as gay.

Sports = Straight according to Hollywood. Just like there are no straights on Drag Race, there are no gays in professional sports. Welcome to America circa 2021!

by Anonymousreply 185September 14, 2021 4:58 PM

Given that your average DLers taste in TV is Golden Girls and Facts of Life and taste in music is Mariah Carey and Madonna, I doubt this show will find many fans on this board.

Dunster and Goldstein are shirtless a lot, which may lure some DLers, but the "Ewww, Sportsball!!!" vibe on here will likely keep more away.

Pity, because it's a great show that is exactly how R181 describes it and not the sort of broad elbow-in-the-ribs stuff DLers so love.

by Anonymousreply 186September 14, 2021 5:06 PM

I'm genuinely curious--those of you posting here who hate this show, what series do you watch and like? I watch all sorts of series, and I was a latecomer to Ted Lasso because I didn't think I'd like it. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 187September 14, 2021 5:28 PM

It's DataloungeR187

They like Housewives shows and other reality TV, Golden Girls, Sex and the City and Murder She Wrote.

I suspect more than half of this board still only watches cable TV, no streaming, not even Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 188September 14, 2021 5:32 PM

As a half Latino I love soccer, but never saw this show. Is there any gay character in it? If it does, I bet it's a lesbian couple.

As for the R188 stereotype I hate all those things, specially musicals and divas. So you can die at your nursing home while the remaining gays move forward into the future.

by Anonymousreply 189September 14, 2021 5:40 PM

R188 actually I don’t think so at all. Golden Girls is more of a camp thing, and the other stuff? Never saw any love for it. I mean have you actually read the threads on Sex and the City? Merciless. Most DLers have pretty good taste in tv, movies and music.

by Anonymousreply 190September 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Dude upthread sayin "our game" how pompous and ridiculous can someone get? There are more Latin Americans and Arabs playing soccer than the whole fucking UK combined, get a fucking grip.

by Anonymousreply 191September 14, 2021 5:46 PM

Have you seen the music threads R190?

Very quickly devolve into "Bad Pop Songs of the 1980s"

by Anonymousreply 192September 14, 2021 6:02 PM

Thanks, R184, but it still makes zero sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 193September 14, 2021 6:07 PM

I'm confused. Does watching this mushy show about men getting in touch with their feelings make me fem? Or does watching this show about soccer make me butch?

Label me, DL!

by Anonymousreply 194September 14, 2021 6:21 PM

R183 - The FA Cup is a simple knock out club competition that all English (and Welsh) clubs can play in.

It starts off with all the non-league village clubs (around 700) playing against each other, then the lower league teams enter the draw and then the Premier league clubs.

However, the draw is done at random and there are no seedings, so when the Premier League clubs enter the draw - midway through the season - you might find Liverpool and Chelsea play each other, while the only two qualifiers might draw each other, e.g. Kiddy Fiddler United and Nonce Athletic

In 2017 Lincoln City made the quarter finals, the first non league club to do so since 1914. They were beaten by Arsenal 5-0 who went on to win the cup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 14, 2021 6:24 PM

I love how gentle and surgical Jason Sudeikis is about inserting his progressive politics into the dialogue. Recently he quipped about Planned Parenthood and injected a little commentary/plug for the British "free" healthcare system model.

by Anonymousreply 196September 14, 2021 6:28 PM

[quote] Label me, DL!

Okay. How about “asshole”?

by Anonymousreply 197September 14, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote]I think by its nature it has to go wider/deeper in story and some of those choices will piss people off.

I admit that this first three episodes of this season felt underwhelming to me, but I chalk that up to having high expectations. But now I'm back to wholeheartedly loving the show.

I've seen complaints elsewhere about how the show is barely about Ted anymore but it's understandable and necessary for the show to show the other character's growth.

Another complaint I've seen is that they've taken Rebecca and made her into a woman solely focused on dating and not the strong capable woman of season 1, but all she did in season one was sit in her office plotting against Ted. She has a markedly better storyline this season.

by Anonymousreply 198September 14, 2021 6:33 PM

Rebecca and Keely have both been way too sketchily written so far this season.

by Anonymousreply 199September 14, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote]I'd be shocked if this show even hinted at the existence of homosexuals let alone have even a minor character be identified as gay.

They had a brief segment with a gay couple on an episode a few back that come to see the game. I was shocked they did.

That being said, it's likely (According to Reddit and what I saw) that either Trent Crimm or Colin are gay.

With Colin, they've hinted at it. Between his leopard print shirt when they went out, his "like Grindr" mention when the group was talking about Bantr, and him getting a moment every episode so we can remember he is there (along with the player that cuts hair and the "rude" Dutch player). It would actually make sense for him not to initially say anything about it since the football world is brutal. Even then still think the show would just mention it, show him with a guy or something brief but not dwell on it.

Bill Lawrence said that Trent Crimm does have a story arc but it's not clear what it is yet to the audience. He does have a child which means nothing these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 14, 2021 7:09 PM

Nate the ugly wonky eyed troll needs to get a taste of reality, he was given the job because Ted is too nice and wasn’t up on football terms. Now that he has sexy Roy, he needs to demote the Muslim Midget or they write him a storyline where he tries to undermine the other coaches to ‘save the day A La Wunder Kid’ style only to have it spectacularly backfire and he gets fired. And the secret alcoholic therapist needs to get scissored already. She needs a good tonguing from a female footballer to loosen her up. Or she can date the barmaid at Teds local. I hope Ted thinks he needs to get back to America to be a proper father which causes Rebecca to realize she’s madly in love with him and Sam can take his african bride and go back to his homeland to become a politician. Jamie Tartt is closeted and when he is about to be outed (maybe that’s a Nasty Nate storyline?) It’s ROY who decides to bully the press into letting Jamie decide if he wants to come out. I’d like him and a hot footballer to get it on.

by Anonymousreply 201September 15, 2021 12:06 AM

R201 Thank you for repeating the same shit you've already said

by Anonymousreply 202September 15, 2021 12:11 AM

At least our crazy people have an imagination.....

by Anonymousreply 203September 15, 2021 12:21 AM

I love Nate. He’s like any shy person who gets a taste of celebrity and becomes a monster. He’s also passive-aggressive in a very human and hilarious way.

by Anonymousreply 204September 15, 2021 12:26 AM

Defucktard cares about Ted Lasso? Who knew!

by Anonymousreply 205September 15, 2021 1:37 AM

CHEEZUS, somebody here really REALLY wants a gay character on this show. Hey people, I'm gay too, but not everything on TV has to have a gay couple wedged-in just to make it cool or whatever. Brit shows tend to do that with African-British people and it's awkward. If they were going to have a therapist come in, I don't care if they're black or not. It's just the whole idea of a therapist showing up out of the blue, and one that's so drab and sour and ridiculously wedged into the show that irritates me. Seems like they could have waited on having the cameos and "wacky new neighbors" type of casting tropes for the third season while we get to know the main characters.

And I agree (again), that they've made Rebecca into a stereotype. I'd be okay with all of it, and would keep watching if they'd kill Nate. Preferably in a particularly horrible way.

by Anonymousreply 206September 15, 2021 12:51 PM

Dunno.

I'm kind of on Team Chekhov with the "like Grindr" comment.

by Anonymousreply 207September 15, 2021 1:23 PM

I've seen complaints elsewhere about how the show is barely about Ted anymore but it's understandable and necessary for the show to show the other character's growth."

Then why is the show called "Ted Lasso"? Shouldn't it be called "Richmond" or "Football Means Soccer" or something like that?

"The Office" isn't about Michael Scott, it's about all of the people in the office. Which is why that show isn't called "Michael Scott."

by Anonymousreply 208September 15, 2021 1:29 PM

I think the show would get boring if it was all about Ted being a fish out of water in the UK working as a soccer coach. What makes the show interesting is how Ted influences the people around him and how that carries over into their own personal lives. Like Jamie standing up to his abusive Dad who treats his own son like total shit.

by Anonymousreply 209September 15, 2021 1:36 PM

The first season had a very clear beginning, middle, and end. Unfortunately, the second season is a messy mish-mash. Oh, and that Mumford music is beginning to grate.

by Anonymousreply 210September 15, 2021 1:57 PM

The problem with a potential “gay footballer” storyline is that while being gay in men’s professional team sports is still a big deal in real life, you can’t fathom that a gay player would experience any sort of mistreatment form anybody at FC Richmond, so what would the stakes be? The three fan-boy lummoxes at the local call him a poofter through the tv and then get an earful from the salt of the earth landlady before changing their tune and showing up in rainbow jerseys when he scores a game-winning goal?

by Anonymousreply 211September 15, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote]The three fan-boy lummoxes at the local call him a poofter through the tv and then get an earful from the salt of the earth landlady before changing their tune and showing up in rainbow jerseys when he scores a game-winning goal?

Ma'am, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing Ted Lasso would do with Ted dropping in a homespun story about some gay he knew that overcame adversity.

by Anonymousreply 212September 15, 2021 3:29 PM

TED LASSO isn’t stylistically sexy or sharp enough of a show to handle a gay footballer storyline, which realistically would involve grimy under-the-table PR/agent dealings, heated flirtation under the guise of dirty competition, and sweaty clandestine hookups that look more animalistic and rough and messy than the straights can handle seeing on their sitcoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213September 15, 2021 3:47 PM

R208, the show is called, "Ted Lasso" because Ted Lasso is the impetus for the show taking place. All of the changes that are happening now and all of the stories can be traced back to him even if the show doesn't always focus on him. It's not so much about the team or the location as it is about what he does to people. Even if the show focuses on other people it will always come back to Ted Lasso.

by Anonymousreply 214September 15, 2021 4:15 PM

The therapist is kind of a drag, but perhaps Ted would finally only open up to this sort of stolid, no-nonsense person who’s seemingly impervious to his “charms.”

by Anonymousreply 215September 15, 2021 4:31 PM

Ted is somewhat toxically-positive. People like that IRL are insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 216September 15, 2021 4:32 PM

Ted, Coach Beard, Nate, Roy, Brent, Jamie, Rebecca, Keeley

The show wants to give them all major storylines which is far too many. They should concentrate on Ted and Rebecca and let the rest fade into the background.

by Anonymousreply 217September 15, 2021 5:21 PM

^^^I forgot Higgins

by Anonymousreply 218September 15, 2021 5:21 PM

I seemed to have missed the episode or scene where they started doing that little huddle "Diamond Dogs" thing. But I find it forced and stupid. I don't get it. Something about them needing an emergency meeting of the "Diamond Dogs"? Or all agreeing on something and putting the hands in the circle and making kind of huddle cheer? Huh? What did I miss and why do that do that? It's made worse by always having the side of Nate's koala face facing the camera.

by Anonymousreply 219September 15, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote]I seemed to have missed the episode or scene where they started doing that little huddle "Diamond Dogs" thing. But I find it forced and stupid. I don't get it. Something about them needing an emergency meeting of the "Diamond Dogs"? Or all agreeing on something and putting the hands in the circle and making kind of huddle cheer? Huh? What did I miss and why do that do that? It's made worse by always having the side of Nate's koala face facing the camera.

Ted created the Diamond Dogs in season one after the episode where he had a one-night stand with Rebecca's friend. It's their way of bouncing personal things off each other. The huddle/cheer is separate from that. That's a coach thing, which is why Roy was involved. Only Ted, Beard, Higgins and Nate are the Diamond Dogs.

by Anonymousreply 220September 15, 2021 6:42 PM

I have started growling like Roy Kent when things piss me off.

At least in the privacy of my own house.

It's quite cathartic.

by Anonymousreply 221September 15, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote]Nate is like a lot of people who get promoted into leadership/manager roles because of nepotism and perpetually suffer from feelings of inadequacy. They overcompensate and think being an asshole bully is the way to gain/maintain respect. A lot of times they lack the skills to lead and think being in charge is equal to being an asshole. It’s a story arc, so I’m sure there’s a point to it.

I felt like the true Nate was revealed in S1 when Ted gave him the go-ahead to read aloud his letter from the suggestions box where he basically ridiculed every member of the team in an apparent attempt at tough love. Instead, it just came off as mean-spirited to me. I've been side-eyeing him ever since.

by Anonymousreply 222September 15, 2021 7:06 PM

Roy and Keeley have essentially solved all their problems - Roy has made his peace with aging out of playing and in his growly way now let’s people in, and he has a partner who loves his decent and vulnerable side and Keeley has figured she’s more than a WAG hitting her best before date and has a partner who adores her and puts in the work to consider her needs. Too much more of them and it’ll start checking over into Anna and Bates territory. I figure the final season, it’s them trying to have a baby and maybe a episode b-plot devoted to his niece getting jealous.

by Anonymousreply 223September 15, 2021 8:15 PM

I could have done without seeing her diddling herself to his YT video.

by Anonymousreply 224September 15, 2021 11:59 PM

I love this show. The only negative shit I read about it is on this thread. Bitchy gays or something else?

by Anonymousreply 225September 16, 2021 1:01 AM

It's not the sort of show DLers like R225

by Anonymousreply 226September 16, 2021 1:03 AM

R177 Not everything is for you.

R182 Not everything is for you, either. Why come dump (cumdump! Ha…sorry) on a show that many of us like?

by Anonymousreply 227September 16, 2021 1:39 PM

It took me 3 attempts to find a torrent that worked - the first 2 stopped visual at 18 minutes in.

What an odd episode.

by Anonymousreply 228September 17, 2021 9:17 PM

For the shit-for-brains homophobe at R225

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229September 17, 2021 9:55 PM

On the Ted Lasso reddit forum people are hate this most recent episode with a burning passion or they think it's the most brilliant piece of work. I'm in the middle. It was perfectly serviceable episode. I would have surely enjoyed it more if I had ever seen Martin Scorcese's "After Hours".

by Anonymousreply 230September 18, 2021 1:08 AM

I don't like beard.

by Anonymousreply 231September 18, 2021 1:10 AM

I would have Brett Goldstein standing at attention, as frequently as possible. I hope he doesn't use the razor below his navel; it would look extremely awkward if he does.

This picture is from "the Pact" Enjoy, as I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 18, 2021 1:36 AM

There should never be a Beard-centric episode. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 233September 18, 2021 4:53 AM

That episode was kinda weird.

by Anonymousreply 234September 18, 2021 4:56 AM

How to Make Ted Lasso’s Biscuits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 18, 2021 5:01 AM

I loved tonight’s episode. I also love After Hours.

by Anonymousreply 236September 18, 2021 5:25 AM

Who was that insanely muscular man? He could get it.

by Anonymousreply 237September 18, 2021 1:26 PM

The hula hoop was so ridiculous it made me lol.

by Anonymousreply 238September 18, 2021 3:52 PM

[quote]Who was that insanely muscular man? He could get it.

That's Charlie Rawes; his acting credits include "Neanderthal Man" in Bridget Jones' Baby, "Lead Mercenary" in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and "Harkonnen First Trooper" in the upcoming Dune.

by Anonymousreply 239September 18, 2021 4:15 PM

This show is falling apart at the same time if's going to win a bunch of Emmys. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 240September 18, 2021 4:35 PM

R239 Bless you for doing the lord's work.

by Anonymousreply 241September 18, 2021 5:06 PM

It's hardly falling apart! You bitches are really weird.

by Anonymousreply 242September 18, 2021 5:06 PM

Falling apart????

by Anonymousreply 243September 18, 2021 5:29 PM

The After Hours episode didn't feel like success to me but the most annoying thing was the Thierry Henry and Gary Lineker appearances.

The Soccer Saturday scenes with Geoff Stelling and Chris Kamara worked well because of Roy Kent interacting with them.

Ian Wright was ok a few episodes ago, Mike Dean was funny last week but Henry and Lineker were just flat. I hope there aren't any more footballers playing themselves, unless they're actually very good actors or sending themselves up.

by Anonymousreply 244September 18, 2021 6:43 PM

A beard-centric episode was a waste. It could have been used as a internet episode. He’s not strong enough to carry the full show, I was FF through most of it, never did that with the other episodes. I can’t take the innocent child Sam being able to hold a conversation let alone anything else with worldly Rebecca. Not to mention she pays his salary so its weird. Her goddaughter is in teen love with him. He’s just out of his teens for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 245September 19, 2021 12:31 AM

I'd like to take turns on Sudeikis, Goldstein, Dunster and Naked Luca or whatever that was.

by Anonymousreply 246September 19, 2021 12:47 AM

Brilliant episode.

Again, this is a group of older gay men who love Golden Girls, Facts of Life and Housewives Shows and listen to Celine Dionne and Mariah Carey.

Of course something like that is going to be wasted on one of them.

(Not to mention the British Aspie who keeps getting all wigged about about some minor soccer thing he feels they got wrong.)

by Anonymousreply 247September 19, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] Celine Dionne

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 248September 19, 2021 12:54 AM

^^on all of them.

This is what a show can do when the writing staff is confident and feels the audience is ready to go with them.

So many great moments

by Anonymousreply 249September 19, 2021 12:56 AM

I still feel sad about Celine Dionne, the missing Dionne sextuplet.

by Anonymousreply 250September 19, 2021 1:01 AM

R250 LOLOL

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2021 1:02 AM

Another great thing about that episode are all the movie references worked in: the obvious "After Hours" one referenced in the title, the Clockwork Orange bit with Tartt Sr. and the American Werewolf in London "Blue Moon" bit.

by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2021 1:07 AM

And a little Googling reveals the following:

Apple had initially ordered 10 episodes and then expanded the order to 12 episodes after the initial 10 were already written.

Rather than go back and attempt to rewrite everything, they added two extra episodes, the Christmas episode and this one that don't advance the plot but give them a chance to flesh out characters other than Ted and have some fun with tone and genre.

by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2021 1:25 AM

R253 and those were exactly the two I would have guessed were drop ins.

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2021 4:13 AM

Nothing gets past you R254!!!

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2021 5:21 AM

It sure doesn't, henny!

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2021 1:44 PM

The casting for Jamie's dad is insane. He looks SO much like the actor who plays Jamie.

by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2021 1:45 PM

[quote]The casting for Jamie's dad is insane. He looks SO much like the actor who plays Jamie.

That's former child actor Kieran O'Brien, famous for playing Gruey in the 80s and getting his dick out and having all kinds of real sex in 9 Songs in the 00s.

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2021 2:22 PM

was it a big one, R258?

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2021 2:23 PM

[quote]That's former child actor Kieran O'Brien, famous for playing Gruey in the 80s and getting his dick out and having all kinds of real sex in 9 Songs

I was trying to remember why his name was familiar. 9 Songs, like Mark Rylance/Kerry Fox's INTIMACY three years prior, had the most un-sexy sex scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2021 3:58 PM

Oh, nice!!!

by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2021 5:45 PM

PRON AT R260!

CITY ON FIRE! CITY ON FIRE!

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote]That's former child actor Kieran O'Brien, famous for playing Gruey in the 80s and getting his dick out and having all kinds of real sex in 9 Songs

Kieran O'Brien is 47 but sure did pass for even older than that.

I didn't recognize him at all.

(Phil Dunster is 29 although the character is about 24 now.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2021 11:27 PM

Awww so happy for Hannah Waddingt

by Anonymousreply 264September 20, 2021 12:09 AM

^ stupid typo.

by Anonymousreply 265September 20, 2021 12:09 AM

What the hell… it’s up for a lot of awards.

by Anonymousreply 266September 20, 2021 12:12 AM

Brett!

Double privileged

by Anonymousreply 267September 20, 2021 12:18 AM

Months ago, I screwed up my Apple TV app when I got a new tv - cause I couldn't remember my Apple password. (Phone) So I tried too many attempts and they blocked me. Is there anything I can do about it? I want to see Ted Lasso.

by Anonymousreply 268September 20, 2021 12:23 AM

You'd have to contact customer service. I don't have any Apple products but my sister does and I tried to help her when she forgot her account and it was a like an act of Congress. They really take you through the wringer to reset anything. Customer Service can give you steps.

by Anonymousreply 269September 20, 2021 12:25 AM

Yay Brett and Hannah!

by Anonymousreply 270September 20, 2021 12:36 AM

This is awesome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 20, 2021 12:49 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272September 20, 2021 9:00 AM

Beard's Emmys top hat was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 273September 20, 2021 9:53 AM

What makes the show great to me is that it very much highlights that "winning isn't everything". Sure, they lose a lot, but it doesn't turn into drama about self-doubt and the pressure to play dirty tricks or cheat the next time in order to win. The team grows closer together, and even dickhead Jamie is now considered part of the team. Rebecca isn't on Ted's or the team's ass to win. She just leaves Ted be and is consumed with her dating life.

by Anonymousreply 274September 20, 2021 5:47 PM

"What makes the show great to me is that it very much highlights that "winning isn't everything""

Of course, in the real world, winning is everything if by "everything" you mean keeping your job. Life or death? No. House or No House? Probably.

So you like this show because it is a fantasy. That's fine but keep in mind that in a lot of situations in the real world, winning IS everything.

by Anonymousreply 275September 20, 2021 6:20 PM

R275, of course you’re right, but I think this show is what we wish were reality. It certainly isn’t, but it sure is nice escapism.

by Anonymousreply 276September 20, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote]So you like this show because it is a fantasy. That's fine but keep in mind that in a lot of situations in the real world, winning IS everything.

All series are fantasies where things get tied up in a neat little bow at the end of the runtime or the series. But TED LASSO shows that winning is not everything when it's at the cost of your well-being or your humanity. Surely, had the team suffered these losses under their previous gaffer George, they would not be dealing with it as gracefully. The lesson in defeat is how you deal with it, learn from it, rebound from it. The team was relegated at the end of last season and they're now dealing with scrambling back. There has been a mental cost to Ted as we've seen this season; and frustration within Coach Beard. This show isn't a cotton candy kiddie fare despite the feel good moments.

by Anonymousreply 277September 20, 2021 6:37 PM

R275 = Howard Roark

by Anonymousreply 278September 20, 2021 7:28 PM

R277 well said, and a parallel to another show recently discussed on the DL, Call The Midwife.

Very different shows, of course, but I am making the comparison that despite looking very sunny on the surface in some ways, both shows also deal with pain, adversity, and some of the dark corners of life.

But instead of yet another antihero show where someone falls apart and becomes a sociopath/killer or chases killers around for kicks, we have people who can still remember their humanity or help other people find theirs.

by Anonymousreply 279September 20, 2021 7:34 PM

R275, spoken like SUCH an American. There are many countries where nothing you said is true. Even if you lose a lot you can still be housed and kept healthy. Or you can choose, as many people do, to work in industries where the work is caring for other people, and you can make a decent living doing it. You'll never be paid the way you are when you work for a corporate, but you can have a respectable and not unpleasant life.

Ted Lasso is a wake-up call for those who are sure life is a zero-sum game.

by Anonymousreply 280September 21, 2021 9:17 AM

r275, are you one of those sad individuals who has to remind people that they watch fiction? I pity your life choices.

by Anonymousreply 281September 21, 2021 9:20 AM

[quote] Is Anyone Watching Ted Lasso?

I'd like to watch him. In a long, slow stroke session. And maybe lend him a hand.

by Anonymousreply 282September 22, 2021 3:06 PM

For those people who are criticizing r275, I think you’re off base. I’m assuming he’s talking in terms of the sports world and similar industries. In the real world, coaches who don’t win are fired. No ifs, ands or buts, they are gone. He’s absolutely right. And it doesn’t matter whether you’re in the U.S. or anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 283September 22, 2021 4:28 PM

I'm sure the next season or end of the show will deal with Lasso being fired.

I actually wonder if they'll have Ted off himself.......

by Anonymousreply 284September 22, 2021 4:46 PM

I think Nate will off himself first.

by Anonymousreply 285September 22, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote]In the real world, coaches who don’t win are fired. No ifs, ands or buts, they are gone.

Ehhhhh, in the NFL that's not always the case.

There have been plenty of coaches who had losing seasons back to back (And even, back again) and still managed to never lose their jobs.

Either they had great reputations or the owner or management liked them (and they themselves were horrible.)

To loop this back to Ted Lasso, it would come down to Rebecca deciding that it was time to get rid of Ted because of pressure from within or without. I don't see her doing it at this point. He'd more likely leave before it got to that point.

by Anonymousreply 286September 22, 2021 10:05 PM

R286, any coach who had a couple of losing seasons was a coach who had a winning record and turned it around again after a few seasons. There is no head coach who kept his job with more than 3-4 losing seasons in a row.

by Anonymousreply 287September 22, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote]any coach who had a couple of losing seasons was a coach who had a winning record and turned it around again after a few seasons.

I never said otherwise.

Mike Shanahan was a great example of this. He coasted on his Broncos wins for years, leading him to the time period he coached the Redskins and sucked.

[quote]There is no head coach who kept his job with more than 3-4 losing seasons in a row.

I never said there was. I said (well with my "backs" 3.)

Tom Coughlin is a great example of someone who should have been fired years before he was. I could say the same for Jeff Fisher. Tom is also an example of what you're talking about, someone who had a winning record initially but then didn't.

The point is a single losing season or two doesn't guarantee you will be terminated. Of course you will eventually be canned but it's not usually a, "NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE!" kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 288September 22, 2021 10:41 PM

R275 is not talking about sports, people. By all means talk about football if you wish, but it wasn't the topic.

Also, I don't think any of the main characters in Ted Lasso will top themselves. It's not that show.

by Anonymousreply 289September 23, 2021 1:56 PM

I agree, r289. My point was that in many areas of life—and it’s not a U.S.-only phenomenon—winning is paramount. Whether in sports, business, entertainment, etc. I was taking issue with another poster’s implication that Americans are obsessed with winning. It’s not just us. And it really is not just sports.

by Anonymousreply 290September 23, 2021 2:34 PM

Well, maybe Ted Lasso is all about convincing people that doesn't have to be so.

by Anonymousreply 291September 23, 2021 2:38 PM

I am trying to watch this right now and Sudeikis’s character is annoying me. I’m trying to explain why and the best I can come up with is what if Woody was the main character in Cheers instead of Sam Malone. I just can’t invest in such a cartoonishly genial character.

by Anonymousreply 292September 23, 2021 5:36 PM

R291, That is exactly what was hinted at in the first episode this season. The sports therapist can say that Ted's players really like him (and ultimately they're better for PEOPLE for having him there) but they're still losing. That conflict is going to have to be addressed at some point.

by Anonymousreply 293September 23, 2021 5:44 PM

Looks like Nate is going to the dark side, what was Rupert talking to him about? Nate is gray and looks much older this season.

by Anonymousreply 294September 24, 2021 7:34 AM

Excellent episode today. Hannah will repeat her Emmy win next year. I choked up a few times.

Oh, and I love the way Jamie Tartt says “Keely.”

by Anonymousreply 295September 25, 2021 2:41 AM

The latest episode was lovely. Perfect mix of funny and heartbreaking. Where has Hannah been all my life?!

by Anonymousreply 296September 25, 2021 1:40 PM

Shame shame shame! on us for missing out on Hannah's greatness.

by Anonymousreply 297September 26, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]Nate is gray and looks much older this season.

They've definitely been letting him go grey all season.

It's a trope that this happens when someone crosses over to the dark side. It also helps him look a bit more like a threat.

The whispering with Rupert was pretty obvious. His thoughts on what he wanted to be in his next life.

He's definitely going to screw the entire team over.

by Anonymousreply 298September 26, 2021 8:09 PM

I think the theme this season is fathers and their children. And I think Nate’s father will be the primary reason for Nate committing suicide. I just hope Ted doesn’t walk in on it this time.

by Anonymousreply 299September 26, 2021 8:14 PM

[quote] I agree, [R289]. My point was that in many areas of life—and it’s not a U.S.-only phenomenon—winning is paramount.

Exactly-- in professional sports anywhere in the world, you keep your job only if you win. It's the same at the D-2 level where the character was before. It's the same in high school sports. That's why Ted Lasso character is not believable. Elite athletes and coaches get to where they are because they are focused on winning.

The show is an American fantasy about how we wish the world saw us. It's "American exceptionalism" in a form that appeals to people who normally reject that kind of thing. I tried watching it but it has no edge and nothing interesting to say. I imagine David Brooks loves this series.

by Anonymousreply 300September 26, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote]Exactly-- in professional sports anywhere in the world, you keep your job only if you win. It's the same at the D-2 level where the character was before. It's the same in high school sports. That's why Ted Lasso character is not believable. Elite athletes and coaches get to where they are because they are focused on winning. The show is an American fantasy about how we wish the world saw us. It's "American exceptionalism" in a form that appeals to people who normally reject that kind of thing. I tried watching it but it has no edge and nothing interesting to say. I imagine David Brooks loves this series.

Do you ever follow English football? A club like Richmond keeping on Ted Lasso as manager is totally believable, especially when it's Rebecca making the ultimate decision on hiring and firing.

With Lasso as manager Richmond almost escaped relegation from the Premier League, and in their first season in the Championship they've made the FA Cup semi final, and are seemingly safe in the mid table.

There's no reason to sack him right now - there will be next season if Richmond are still mid table.

[quote]The whispering with Rupert was pretty obvious. His thoughts on what he wanted to be in his next life. He's definitely going to screw the entire team over.

If by screwing the team over you mean put together a team of investors to try and force Rebecca to sell the club and put it back in Rupert's control with Nate in a more senior position, then yes I agree.

by Anonymousreply 301September 26, 2021 9:02 PM

I am re-watching Season 1, and just realised that while Rebecca is singing Let it Go in the Karaoke bar, Roy Kent is mouthing the lyrics along with her. He's such a good uncle to Phoebe!

Sorry if that has already been pointed out back when it aired. I love Roy and it made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 302September 29, 2021 8:34 AM

R302 I watched that episode today to see Roy. He’s so cute. Realized it’s the first time we see Ted’s hands shake and he has panic attacks. Such a great episode.

by Anonymousreply 303September 30, 2021 5:09 AM

Has it been discussed how lucky we were to get Brett Goldstein as Roy? He was an original member of the writing team, and as they wrote he started to think he could play Roy. Nobody else seemed to have the same idea, so before he flew back to London he made a video of himself doing several of Roy's scenes and sent it to the others, with a note saying please never mention it again if they hated him.

He said they called him in London and said, "We're tired of looking, so you'll do." I assume this is an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 304September 30, 2021 9:34 AM

I thought the actress who played Rebecca was in her 50's, I guess we are not used to seeing wrinkles with all the botoxed actresses.

by Anonymousreply 305September 30, 2021 11:11 AM

R304, I didn’t know that! He’s actually an executive story editor (not sure what that is), and also wrote three episodes according to IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 306September 30, 2021 12:14 PM

Brett Goldstein is an undervalued gem. Super sexy but has a keen sense of writing for humor and drama. Watch him in UNCLE. Fantastic Brit comedy, he’s so hot. Also , Jamie Tartt is on our team, how are the writers not seeing this? His Keelah(pronunciation is key) declaration was bullshit, cheap writing to cause friction. Tactics like that are used on stale predictable comedies not smart writing like we’ve gotten from Ted Lasso so far. His fathers abusive, stereotypical pub crawling, football loving “man” probably created confusion for pretty young sensitive Jamie, I think many sessions with the bland scissor sister therapist could help but I think a good fall to grace and seeing that French hottie naked in the locker room might give Jamie his COME TO JESUS LET THE DICKS IN moment!

by Anonymousreply 307September 30, 2021 12:44 PM

I want Jan Maas to simply walk over to him and say “Mate, you’re gay. Deal with it.”

by Anonymousreply 308September 30, 2021 6:45 PM

I feel sorry for Brett and Nick Mohammed (Nate). On the Emmys red carpet no one asked them about their other shows. Yes, they were there due to their work on TED LASSO, but both Brett and Nick are creators/showrunners on other series. Brett co-created SOULMATES on AMC and Nick INTELLIGENCE which just had its second season.

by Anonymousreply 309September 30, 2021 9:27 PM

Fucking Nate.

by Anonymousreply 310October 1, 2021 5:20 AM

Nate the Great? No, Nate the Snake.

by Anonymousreply 311October 1, 2021 6:28 AM

It's an interesting development. People you foster do sometimes turn around and bite you instead of being grateful. How will eternally optimistic Ted deal with betrayal?

by Anonymousreply 312October 1, 2021 11:11 AM

Nate is an ugly troll. How can anyone buy that Keely would ever be turned on by his kiss? He’s a cunt who bites the hand that feeds him. I hope his selling Ted and the team out turns Ted into a demon possessed! I hope Rebecca gets some balls and fires him in such an epic humiliating way and the towel boy he bullied is given a bigger role like marketing assistant. Keely and Roy now breaking up? This show is beginning to jump the shark, if they don’t stick it out. Jamie Tartt is gay, let’s get this going and make it a hot storyline. The therapist is an alcoholic who should be lez. Needs to scissor the barkeep. Ted and Rebecca are inevitable. Sam can be her child and it doesn’t feel comfortable watching since he’s like a wide eyed kid.

by Anonymousreply 313October 2, 2021 2:46 AM

I don’t think Ted and Rebecca are inevitable. Rebecca and Roy, on the other hand…

by Anonymousreply 314October 2, 2021 2:57 AM

Keely won’t go with Nate. But she will go back to Jamie, leaving Roy for Rebecca when Sam goes back to Nigeria.

by Anonymousreply 315October 2, 2021 3:32 AM

[quote]Sam can be her child and it doesn’t feel comfortable watching since he’s like a wide eyed kid.

Rebecca looks old for her age and she looks like Sam's babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 316October 2, 2021 3:48 AM

Of course Keely won't go with Nate. She was horrified: those were British good manners she plastered over her reaction.

I'd like to think she'll end up with Roy. She is the female counterpart of Ted and Roy needs her warmth and sunshine to combat his "dark charcoal" moods. In return, he's one of those guys who, once he commits, will always be her rock and never leave. He just hasn't committed yet. Keely's relationship with Jamie was nothing but bad for her except sexually, and it's hard to see what she gets out of returning to it, even with a reformed Jamie. She probably will, but I'm hoping it's for the short term.

I can't see Rebecca and Roy at all. He's emotionally very simple and clear, if a bit dark, and she's a mess. I imagine his damaged pride would also have trouble with the class divide between them being so much in her favour. Nobody wins in that relationship. Nor have I seen any signalling within the show that the two of them have any attraction, or anything in common, besides knowing the lyrics of Frozen. The key to Rebecca lies in Sassy's early remark, "This isn't the real Stinky. The real Stinky is...silly." Roy isn't a partner for being silly with, but it's true Ted might be.

by Anonymousreply 317October 3, 2021 12:56 PM

I don't begrudge Hannah Waddingham her award but my god Juno Temple does amazing things as Keeley. It would have been so easy for Keeley to have been a tart with a heart character but she's just amazing, and the chemistry with Brett Goldstein is so right. Their photo shoot scene together was perfect from them both.

by Anonymousreply 318October 3, 2021 1:02 PM

It’s going to be Roy and Rebecca. Or Roy and the teacher.

by Anonymousreply 319October 4, 2021 4:07 AM

I would think Rebecca and Ted would the end game but the show probably won't go there.

by Anonymousreply 320October 4, 2021 5:46 AM

It’s getting a bit repetitive. One season was enough.

by Anonymousreply 321October 4, 2021 5:53 AM

Jamie looks like shit now. What happened between season 1 and 2? He looks like he aged 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 322October 4, 2021 5:54 AM

That big scar on his eyebrow happened. Anyone know where that came from?

by Anonymousreply 323October 4, 2021 6:04 AM

It's not a scar. It's a shaved line.

by Anonymousreply 324October 4, 2021 6:26 AM

[quote]I don't begrudge Hannah Waddingham her award but my god Juno Temple does amazing things as Keeley.

Agreed. I can see her getting the nod and award for this season when it's time.

Jason will definitely take it again.

[quote]I don’t think Ted and Rebecca are inevitable.

I think the story has been telegraphing it like mad but Ted is going back home to be with his son at some point. He doesn't want to repeat what happened with his own father and he wants to be around but he won't go until everything is okay in Richmond so he can leave them better than he found them.

Rebecca will either end up alone and be happy with it or end up with someone we haven't met yet.

by Anonymousreply 325October 4, 2021 6:32 AM

I definitely think series three will end with Ted going back home to his son. If he has a major love interest storyline in the third season, I suspect it will involve deepening mutual feelings with Rebecca’s larky friend.

I think after this “woman in love” season, Rebecca’s major plot for the third season will be facing down her awful ex-husband once and for all, I suspect he will buy a team and that Nate will go coach for him and quickly regret it and yearn for the Diamond Dogs.

If they break up because they get spooked, Keely and Roy will ultimately end up together. I can’t think of a more universally loved couple in recent television history.

Jamie Tartt will finish the show by turning down a more lucrative offer on a better team, choosing to stay at FC Richmond and becoming the captain who carries on the Lasso legacy.

by Anonymousreply 326October 4, 2021 2:27 PM

Rebecca's larky friend is stand-up comedian Ellie Taylor. There's lots of her on YouTube. Very similar persona to Sassy.

I like your analysis, R326. You're not Brett Goldstein, are you?

by Anonymousreply 327October 5, 2021 12:59 AM

The fate of Ted as a character surely is impacted on how Richmond do in the league.

With one match to go, one win win see them get promoted back to the Premier League, although it didn't specify whether that was automatic promotion or the play off places for the 3rd to 6th placed teams.

If Richmond do get promoted straight back then bigger clubs would be looking to poach him.

by Anonymousreply 328October 5, 2021 7:25 AM

r327 I never heard of her before but enjoy her on the show. Surprised to read she is only 37 but I guess it fits her character to look a little older to be school mates with Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 329October 5, 2021 8:03 AM

Kind of sad about Nate, but you do see this with people who are promoted due to nepotism rather than skill or when theu haven’t earned their position, so to speak. The times I’ve seen it these people either rest on their laurels or use their position to bully people under their authority,—because they think being a leader or boss is just doing nothing all day/finding excuses to push people around and tell them what to do.

by Anonymousreply 330October 7, 2021 12:08 AM

The way they made Nate go from an earnest, sweet dark horse to a mean-spirited dick is baffling to me.

by Anonymousreply 331October 7, 2021 12:38 AM

I think it is trying to make up for the lack of story arc with characters that was there last season. A lot of the tension is gone and everybody getting along is not interesting. It feels a bit forced and soap opera-ish, like when they make it seem like a good character is has gone bad, and then we learn it’s really evil imposter or twin sister. Lame.

by Anonymousreply 332October 7, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote]The way they made Nate go from an earnest, sweet dark horse to a mean-spirited dick is baffling to me.

I think his character sort of represents the flip side of Ted, kind of like Led Tasso. When we first met Nate, he was lowest on the totem pole and the players treated him like shit, throwing their sweat stained jockstraps in his face. Now Nate has a bit of power over those players, and a dark side fully emerges which we'd already seen a glimpse of in S1 when he gave the whole team a dressing down - with Ted's explicit urging. While the team may have needed a kick in the ass, a lot of what he said was just mean and not constructive in any way. So on some level, Ted sort of fostered this side of Nate that is wanting more recognition. Granted, Nate is not fully there yet, as he at least feels bad when he does something shitty or inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 333October 7, 2021 1:36 AM

I think that’s a good assessment—you see the same dynamic play out in the gay world where guys who were bullied as kids become as bad as the people who bullied them to other gays who they see as inferior to them.

by Anonymousreply 334October 7, 2021 1:54 AM

I assume Nate's spitting on mirrors shows he hates himself so they will probably deal with that (will Dr. Sharon come back?)

by Anonymousreply 335October 7, 2021 1:55 AM

[quote]The way they made Nate go from an earnest, sweet dark horse to a mean-spirited dick is baffling to me.

Really? When he was in the locker room, getting the chance to roast the players and he didn't hold back at all. Someone truly earnest and sweet wouldn't have been able to do that. This show is very good at setting up things. Since that moment, he's been spiraling. They also set up the issues with getting his dad's approval this season and Ted thinking of him almost like a son with a picture of him next to his own son.

[quote]I assume Nate's spitting on mirrors shows he hates himself so they will probably deal with that (will Dr. Sharon come back?)

He definitely hates himself and since Ted is all about helping people, even though they've screwed him over (like Rebecca), I have no doubt he'll call Dr. Sharon next season to come and talk to Nate when he's at his lowest since he trusts her now.

by Anonymousreply 336October 7, 2021 2:38 AM

Yes, but not very realistic. Someone on the inside circle of a sports team leaking damaging information about the head coach? He’s a security risk and would be fired immediately for insubordination in the real world. It they go the aw shucks Nate you need therapy route, the show is shot for me.

by Anonymousreply 337October 7, 2021 2:44 AM

I agree R337.

It really depends on how they play it. If Rebecca finds out she will fire him whether Ted wants him there or not. She wouldn't leave that in his hands. No one else there would forgive him for doing it, even if Ted does. Roy would go in on him. It basically becomes an environment he can't be in.

It's also possible he gets poached just as Rebecca finds out so he quits instead of leaving. I guess we'll see soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 338October 7, 2021 2:59 AM

Yes r336, 'really'. I'm talking about the first season when Nate was my favorite character and then bizarrely, mean-spiritedly roasted all the players in the locker room. That was the turning point. What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 339October 7, 2021 5:09 AM

I dispute that the "roasting" in the locker-room was unconstructive. Ted wouldn't have let him just abuse them. Most of the points he made WERE things they could do something about, and for the most part people were nodding, either acknowledging that the comments on them were true, or that the comments were true of the person being addressed. His final criticism, of Roy, ended with "You're now keeping that anger inside you, and I fear for what it will do to you." Which was not the language of a bully at all.

Nate's arc reminds me a bit of Educating Rita. Rita is a lovely, gutsy, ignorant hairdresser, and a year or so into her university course, when she's really taking the lessons on board she becomes a particularly pretentious undergrad and is embarrassed by her mentor's flaws. By the end of the course, though, when she's fully educated, she's nice again, she understands how much her mentor has given her, and she's behaving like the mature person you'd expect of her age. I think Ted picked Nate out because he realised that Nate did actually understand the team really well and could help improve them, and then with typical generosity congratulated Nate on every success. It's totally gone to Nate's head (pretentious undergrad phase). Ted is easy to dismiss and Nate has immediately fallen into the trap of repudiating his mentor to aggrandise himself. But we know he secretly hates himself, so this is not the end of his journey.

by Anonymousreply 340October 7, 2021 9:58 AM

Nate’s schizoid relationship with his parents is a big reason he is who he is. His mother dotes on him and his father stops just short of treating him with actual disdain. That and being an ethnic minority has to be a factor.

by Anonymousreply 341October 7, 2021 2:08 PM

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking Roy/Rebecca was end game.

by Anonymousreply 342October 7, 2021 2:20 PM

I posted about them here early this season (after the episode when Roy said to Rebecca that the boring guy she was dating wasn’t worthy of her) but I don’t think they’re endgame. I think Sam and Rebecca are endgame.

by Anonymousreply 343October 7, 2021 8:45 PM

Sam is a child, goofy grin and always calling his father. Rebecca would tire of this man child even if he has a huge black cock. She needs Ted to balance her out.

by Anonymousreply 344October 8, 2021 2:34 AM

Well, they're sticking with the plan.

Season 3 will be the last season of the show.

And I'll go with the "Casting stuff isn't necessarily a spoiler" thing (and it isn't really for the finale.)

Dr. Sharon and Trent Crimm will have significant roles next year. I always figured they'd bring Dr. Sharon back and they kinda have a setup for her, if you pay very close attention, at the end of the finale.

I still think Trent will turn out to be the gay character next season. I know they said way back in Season 1 that they have a plan for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345October 8, 2021 6:33 AM

Actually, scratch that. Seems like it could still go on in some way but THIS story would be over.

by Anonymousreply 346October 8, 2021 6:36 AM

Well that was a fitting end to a brilliant series.

The only thing I didn't like was the Melrose Place reference. It's a show that was never shown on terrestrial TV in the UK and has no cultural awareness. People know Heather Locklear from TJ Hooker and Dynasty and Rehab but not Melrose Place.

Baywatch and Beverley Hills 90210 were well known in the UK but not Melrose Place.

I can't believe I care so much to have typed that.

by Anonymousreply 347October 8, 2021 8:39 AM

Fucking Nate. Ripping up the BELIEVE sign was unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 348October 8, 2021 9:58 AM

I guess it’s a good thing that Ted Lasso isn’t seen as widely in the UK as it is in the US. If it was I’d be genuinely concerned that Nick Mohammed could be attacked by drunken Brits out on the lash on a Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 349October 8, 2021 1:49 PM

The actors who plays Jamie Tartt just got signed to CAA

by Anonymousreply 350October 8, 2021 4:10 PM

Whenever I see Nate now, I can't stop thinking "koala face," which I read here and has kept me laughing ever since. So imagine the shock seeing that little koala-faced bastard turn so dark and angry. What the fuck was he on about, accusing Ted of building him up and then tossing him aside? He's psycho, right? Man, that was dark.

by Anonymousreply 351October 9, 2021 12:52 AM

The character progression of Nate from the first part of season one until now is bafflingly bad. Why ruin such a great character and not even make it plausible?

by Anonymousreply 352October 9, 2021 1:25 AM

Daddy issues. Dr Sharon will come back and help him. Although right now I don't think Nate deserves redemption.

by Anonymousreply 353October 9, 2021 1:39 AM

Classic “biting the hand that feeds you”…

by Anonymousreply 354October 9, 2021 2:04 AM

Nate's descent into bitterness made sense to me *shrugs*. Nick Mohammed had some reminders in a tweet. I'd totally forgotten how Nate turned on Rebecca when he thought he was being fired back in S1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355October 9, 2021 3:52 AM

Roy not caring enough to even be mad about troll koala faced traitor Nate kissing Keely was genius. He forced himself on her so it was not reciprocated or wanted, sexual abuser in the making. Maybe they find out he’s the new London Strangler? Sam needs an african Queen to get all down with his roots since his whole existence revolves around honoring his Nigerian roots. Can’t imagine daddy being happy he’s banging a white British woman who happens to be his boss and double his age. Ted should’ve lashed out at that troll Nate not apologized. But it was peak Ted to do so. Trent Crimm needs to get scooping on Nate and Rupert , do a Podcast and uncover shady shit. Rupert needs to be jailed, Nate fired and left out of football with egg on his troll face. Ted needs to fuck Rebecca hard. She needs a real man who fucks and she can have adult chats with afterwards. Beard has a female pear shaped body, it’s a major turn off when we see it. Roy is fine as fuck. I’d rather see him and Jamie fuck but I’ll be ok with him and Keely long haul and Jamie gets a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 356October 9, 2021 4:22 AM

[quote]Can’t imagine daddy being happy he’s banging a white British woman who happens to be his boss and double his age.

I agree. I love Sam, but he's a sweet big puppy dog, and the idea that Rebecca could carry on a sustained relationship with him and that they somehow "got" each other while texting on a dating app seems silly at best. And the fact that she's his boss is just a big no. If the roles had been reversed women would have had a major issue with it. The women in Rebecca's life should have been pointing that out not squeeing over her getting some BBD.

by Anonymousreply 357October 9, 2021 1:52 PM

The main thing she was concerned about before she went ahead was that she was his boss. I agree it was a stupid move but she did at least consider it.

by Anonymousreply 358October 9, 2021 1:55 PM

R357, he’s a sweet puppy dog who actually can think intellectually and intelligently. Compared to Rebecca’s alpha female, he’s a pretty good match for her I think.

by Anonymousreply 359October 9, 2021 1:58 PM

After being treated like shit by Rupert why shouldn’t she turn to a guy who’s kind and thoughtful? And British women since WWII have been notorious for craving black cock because all they usually get is pasty white blokes.

by Anonymousreply 360October 9, 2021 1:59 PM

Look, Nate has in all likelihood been bullied for both his physical stature and his ethnicity. And his relationship with his father is extremely sad. I have faith the show will delve into this next year and “redeem” him along with some mild form of comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 361October 9, 2021 4:07 PM

I think people like him get by being “small” and don’t really know how to navigate the world either because they are personally or socially inept, or they let it go to their head. I think Nate got a taste of success and notoriety and thinks that being a ruthless dick is the answer for getting even more.

by Anonymousreply 362October 9, 2021 7:04 PM

No, I think there’s much more to it than that. It comes from intense self-loathing and feeling alone. It’s deeply rooted psychologically in him.

by Anonymousreply 363October 9, 2021 7:10 PM

I agree, so his taste of notoriety and power is like a potent and addictive drug. He sees the external validation as an answer to his inner demons.

by Anonymousreply 364October 9, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]Look, Nate has in all likelihood been bullied for both his physical stature and his ethnicity. And his relationship with his father is extremely sad. I have faith the show will delve into this next year and “redeem” him along with some mild form of comeuppance.

It's interesting that Nick Mohammed referenced Jose Mourinho as an influence for the hair going grey. Like Nate, Mourinho is a nasty piece of work - he's a vicious bully who picks out players and targets them, undermining them and blaming them for his failings as a manager. It's why he's never lasted more than 3 seasons at any club.

by Anonymousreply 365October 9, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote] It comes from intense self-loathing and feeling alone. It’s deeply rooted psychologically in him.

The picture comment is a perfect example of what's going on with Nate. He assumed it wasn't important to Ted. He created a whole scenario in his head around the meaning behind him not having it in his office. Of course, we know, Ted has that photo on his desk at home next to his son. There was no point in telling Nate that. He wouldn't have believed him.

A lot of Nate's problems are of his own creation and as a few people pointed out, when he was yelling at Ted he was really talking to his father.

by Anonymousreply 366October 9, 2021 8:30 PM

Who were the “dumb Americans” Nate was referring to. How very xenophobic of him.

by Anonymousreply 367October 9, 2021 10:00 PM

Nate hating on “dumb Americans” was an interesting choice to go to when we’re in woke overload. Imagine Coach Beard calling out “stupid Nigerians” when listening to Sam wax poetic about his “homeland”.

by Anonymousreply 368October 10, 2021 12:52 AM

How was Rebecca promoted? Ted congratulates her on her promotion. What did I miss?

by Anonymousreply 369October 10, 2021 1:25 AM

The team's promotion. They're out of relegation.

by Anonymousreply 370October 10, 2021 1:31 AM

I see Colin coming out and the Dutch player farting in front of everyone

by Anonymousreply 371October 10, 2021 1:43 AM

R370 thank you. I couldn’t figure it out. Not a sports fan.

by Anonymousreply 372October 10, 2021 2:07 AM

[quote] The team's promotion. They're out of relegation.

Being promoted and being out of the relegation zone are two totally things!!!!!

Football teams are in leagues. You get 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. Zero points for losing. In the Premier League the 3 teams with the lowest number of points (18th, 19th, 20th placed) get relegated to the league below, called the Championship. This is what happened to Richmond last year. From what I remember, had Jamie Tartt/Man City not scored against Richmond, Richmond would have survived relegation and finished 17th.

The three spaces in the Premier League left by relegated teams are filled by the two teams with the most points in the Championship, which is what happened to Richmond this season - this is known as automatic promotion. The third place is fought for in the ‘play offs’ by the teams that came 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. 3rd play 6th and 4th play 5th and the winners then play each other for the final spot. If Richmond hadn’t scored the penalty and equalised Brentford in the final episode to get 1 point and get automatic promotion there was still another route to promotion through the play offs.

by Anonymousreply 373October 10, 2021 6:34 AM

Sudeikis said he thinks Ted is Rebecca's soul mate. But I always figured the ending would be they win the championship and then Ted moves back to Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 374October 10, 2021 6:39 AM

Nobody cares, R373.

by Anonymousreply 375October 10, 2021 10:28 AM

Michelle will have to die for Ted not to have to return to the US for his son.

Of course, Rebecca could buy a US football team, whatever they're called, and go with him. She seems to have endless money.

by Anonymousreply 376October 10, 2021 10:30 AM

They are called football teams. My city’s team is playing today in town (god help the rest of us)

by Anonymousreply 377October 10, 2021 12:02 PM

Speak for yourself, r375. I was wondering too.

by Anonymousreply 378October 10, 2021 1:45 PM

Thank you R378!

Fulham is a club similar to Richmond, both in size and geography.

They were promoted back to the Premier League in 2018, through the play offs after finishing 3rd, were then relegated after finishing 19th, got promoted through the play offs after finishing 4th, then relegated again this summer after finishing 18th. They're currently in 5th place so could be in play for promotion again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379October 10, 2021 2:47 PM

And interesting that both Fulham and Richmond are fairly prosperous areas (especially Richmond, which looks a bit like a fairy tale town).

I once asked a Brit “So is West Ham short for West Hampstead?” He said no. Then I asked “Isn’t ‘Ham’ short for ‘Hampstead’?” He didn’t have an answer for that.

by Anonymousreply 380October 10, 2021 5:04 PM

No, West Ham (and East Ham) are places in their own right and not near Hampstead.

Like Fulham, Birmingham, Dagenham. Buckingham etc

[quote]“Ham” is an Old English word meaning farmstead. It is also confused with “hamm” an Old German word meaning enclosure. Modern German derives the word “Heim” and modern English “home” from that word.

by Anonymousreply 381October 10, 2021 5:41 PM

R368's comment is not valid, in my opinion. There was indeed a long, vicious rant from Akufo about stupid Nigerians. Just because he's African, too, doesn't make it any less offensive. I realize that today, white people love to claim that anti-white sentiment is racist, but it's not. That rhetorical maneuver used to call the phenomenon "reverse racism," and there's no such thing. The clue is in the words themselves. Either it's racism (racial prejudice plus power advantage) or it's not.

Anyway. Any guesses what's going to happen with Roy and Keeley? This "trouble in the relationship" business seems slapped together to me and without any real foundation.

by Anonymousreply 382October 10, 2021 9:40 PM

Anti-white sentiment is racist, regardless of the new woke-definition where there absolutely has to be a societal power hierarchy at play for bigoted, hateful statements and actions to be considered "racist"

by Anonymousreply 383October 10, 2021 10:35 PM

Nate's turn seems so obvious in retrospect.

As is often noted on Datalounge in reference to Mean Gays, "Hurt People hurt people."

by Anonymousreply 384October 10, 2021 10:40 PM

R382 types fat/non-binary

by Anonymousreply 385October 10, 2021 10:44 PM

I re-watched the finale and he definitely has issues stemming from his father.. Ted thought by bringing Nate up he could swim on his own, and that it was enough to be treat him as an equal. Instead, Nate felt invalidated and used by Ted and slowly grew more resentful. Obviously that explains it, but it doesn’t justify it. Ted isn’t responsible for being Nate’s supply of validation and approval.

I’ve had similar experience in organizations where I’m doing a lot of the hard work behind the scenes, but someone more charismatic gets the applause, credit or attention by basically just showing up. It’s not that I needed a parade, but you can grow resentful when you feel no matter how much you do, other people get the focus and accolades—and you’re hard work is ignored.

I think that’s the dynamic with his father—no matter how good or hard working he is, he never gets any approval or attention from his father. I think many gay guys felt that way growing up with their own fathers, knowing deep down that if they had they been the high school quarterback, things would probably be different.

by Anonymousreply 386October 10, 2021 11:19 PM

R383, go away

by Anonymousreply 387October 10, 2021 11:35 PM

r387= fat trans

by Anonymousreply 388October 10, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote]It’s not that I needed a parade, but you can grow resentful when you feel no matter how much you do, other people get the focus and accolades—and you’re hard work is ignored.

Beard and Roy aren't resentful. Even Jamie got over not being Captain any more episodes ago.

Nate is a member of a group that coaches a team. A group that the team is ultimately included in. What Nate doesn't realize is that, yes the press might give Ted the credit when the team is successful but when Ted screws up he gets the blame. Ted himself, however, doesn't take all of the credit. He knows it's a combination of all of them that has gotten them where they are. He even asks that team what they think they should do when he doesn't have any idea of what's right.

People respect Ted because he respects them.

The problem is that Nate is going to realize that while he believes he's the alpha, and everyone else is beneath him, that's not going to work in the long term because he's still part of a team. Either Rupert or the players and staff will eventually put Nate in his place. I also doubt he could handle losses because again if he wants the credit for winning he has to take it for when they screw up too.

Also, I get the feeling that Rupert will be very hands-on with his team. Rebecca lets Ted handle everything. She's not walking down on that field to have a conversation with Ted. Rupert and Nate will definitely bump heads and Rupert will win.

by Anonymousreply 389October 11, 2021 12:51 AM

Ted is a cutie

by Anonymousreply 390October 11, 2021 12:57 AM

Anyone feel Ryan Reynolds and Rob McChlenhey (they bought that Football team in Wales) will be in Season 3? Also, Ted ultimately needs to either share custody so his son does summers and holidays with him or just move back so he’s the dad he never had. Rebecca realizes she’s missing Ted , not as the coach (Roy gets that gig and MURDERS IT taking them ALL..THE…WAY!) so she moves to America and buys a football team here (soccer in USA) and Beckham turns up to be her biggest rival across the pond with his shit Miami club.

by Anonymousreply 391October 11, 2021 3:39 AM

I’m surprised so many people want Ted and Rebecca together. I see them more as friends or a brother/sister relationship. I guess I must be in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 392October 11, 2021 5:30 AM

R391, I like that

i didn't know that Ryan and Rob bought a club. . . .

by Anonymousreply 393October 11, 2021 12:04 PM

[quote]Anyone feel Ryan Reynolds and Rob McChlenhey (they bought that Football team in Wales) will be in Season 3?

Richmond are back in the Premier League (the top league) having been promoted from The Championship (second league). Then there's the English Football League 1 (3rd) the English Football League 2 (4th) and then the National League (5th) which is the league Wrexham (that Football team in Wales) play.

It is possible for teams in the two different leagues to play each other - either the league cup or the FA Cup, where Spurs beat Richmond 5-0 in the QFs this season gone.

If anyone is confused as to why Scottish teams play in their own league but Welsh teams play in the English league, it's because Welsh football knows its limitations and the clubs are happy to take the English quid.

by Anonymousreply 394October 11, 2021 12:21 PM

I agree with you, R392. I don't see them as romantically suited, either. He should just get with Rebecca's friend again.

by Anonymousreply 395October 11, 2021 7:33 PM

Someone on Insta posted the photo of Ted and Nate and it’s actually in Ted’s home next to a photo of his son.

by Anonymousreply 396October 11, 2021 8:31 PM

Just a thought re: that last scene—does anyone think it actually might be set way into the future? I just felt Nate going entirely gray in between seasons was just too unrealistic. He was portrayed in that scene as much older to me. Maybe it’s like the ghost of Xmas past—this is what his future might be if he keeps going down that road.

by Anonymousreply 397October 11, 2021 8:37 PM

I doubt that, R397. Because it said something like “Two months later…” on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 398October 11, 2021 8:41 PM

R398, you’re right, I just went back and rewatched the ending. Nate was very gray in the last game too. I think maybe the styling of it in the last scene threw me off.

by Anonymousreply 399October 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Nick Mohammed has talked about it. From IIRC episode 5 onwards Nate has been going grey as to illustrate the stress, bitterness and guilt eating away at him.

by Anonymousreply 400October 11, 2021 8:54 PM

What a pity

by Anonymousreply 401October 12, 2021 1:17 AM

This seems to indicate not going past Season 3 but there’s always the chance of spinoffs happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402October 13, 2021 12:18 AM

Nate is like Nadine in Stephen King's 'The Stand', her hair turned white when she got evil.

by Anonymousreply 403October 13, 2021 1:52 AM

I’m in showbiz, r402, and you should always leave them wanting more

by Anonymousreply 404October 13, 2021 2:06 AM

They should definitely finish that story when it needs to be finished. But Ted needs to return to his kid in the US, and it would be interesting to see a new story where he's put up against some of the darker ideas swirling in the south and south-west there.

by Anonymousreply 405October 13, 2021 2:28 AM

I didn't know this thread exists. I never knew Akufo was also on Veep. That guy, Sam Richardson, is a brilliant actor. His tantrum at the end when he didn't get his way was one of the most hilarious scenes of the season. I'm still laughing thinking about it.

And did you all catch his handshake guy, Francis, practising on a skeleton in the background? LMAO 🤣 🤣 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406October 13, 2021 3:59 AM

Three unpopular opinions:

1. Nate's character arch makes perfect sense. I noticed most of the stuff listed in Nick Mohammed's tweet at r355. I hope they don't redeem him and stick to the Jose Mourinho template.

2. I think careerist Keely breaking up with Roy and following Nate to West Ham would not be implausible. Most betrayals hurt because they're by good people we love

3. The 'Beard After Hours' episode is some of the most brilliant TV I've ever seen in my life! I loved, loved, loved every second of it and automatically makes Brendan Hunt the front runner for the Emmy next year.

by Anonymousreply 407October 13, 2021 4:11 AM

So how many people are plotting revenge against Richmond? Nate and Rupert, obviously. But also, Akufo is not done.

by Anonymousreply 408October 13, 2021 4:14 AM

Why can't we type Akufo's first name? This is some random weird shit even for DL LOL 😂

by Anonymousreply 409October 13, 2021 4:16 AM

This is a test. I'm going to type his full name here: Akufo.

by Anonymousreply 410October 13, 2021 11:07 AM

^ LOL

by Anonymousreply 411October 13, 2021 11:07 AM

I agree with r407

by Anonymousreply 412October 13, 2021 12:14 PM

The Beard After Hours episode was unwatchable but a lot of people will name the Christmas episode as the all time worst because they won’t want to diss Brendan Hunt who’s perfectly fine but only in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 413October 13, 2021 2:45 PM

couldn't disagree with you more

by Anonymousreply 414October 13, 2021 2:48 PM

I don’t get why people think the Beard episode was a great episode. It just seemed like a surreal random dream sequence, not anything profound or groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 415October 13, 2021 2:49 PM

I didn’t like either extra episode tbh. I didn’t really hate them, but I felt they were out of step with the show’s rhythm.

by Anonymousreply 416October 13, 2021 4:41 PM

As someone said upthread, this site is mostly eldergays for who Golden Girls and Facts of Life are more up their alley. Frankly, I'd feel weird if they loved the Beard episode as much as I did. It would be like like your 90-year-old grandma blasting Drake.

by Anonymousreply 417October 13, 2021 5:05 PM

I don’t agree with your assessment r417. I don’t know anyone here who likes Facts of Life, and GG is just a camp thing to like. Most everyone has good taste in television as well as other media, including books and movies. In fact, the book threads are great—I get so many great suggestions from them.

Again, not saying the Beard episode was bad. I think if I didn’t have to wait a week for the next episode, it would have been more enjoyable. As it was, I wanted to watch more progression on the main stories, so it was a distraction to me.

by Anonymousreply 418October 13, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote]Frankly, I'd feel weird if they loved the Beard episode as much as I did. It would be like like your 90-year-old grandma blasting Drake.

i'm an elderly who watched those shows when they came out and I loved the beard episode.

by Anonymousreply 419October 13, 2021 5:34 PM

[quote]I think careerist Keely breaking up with Roy and following Nate to West Ham would not be implausible.

Followed by Roy going on the rebound with a hot but vapid twink, then getting fed up with all of the twink's whining.

by Anonymousreply 420October 13, 2021 5:42 PM

I did think the hula hoop scene was funny as hell. It was just such a random episode it was a bit jarring.

On the flip side, a lot of younger gays talked about how they hated the HBO series Looking because there wasn’t a twenty-something/non-binary/trans character, and therefore couldn’t enjoy it because they didn’t see themselves it. I guess we all have to be more open about our expectations and our ability to be entertained. Sometimes challenging expectations is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 421October 13, 2021 5:46 PM

I agree, look outside your own sandbox

by Anonymousreply 422October 14, 2021 12:40 AM

After all the backlash and complaints when it started, I think season 2 ended up being better than season 1. But that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 423October 14, 2021 2:02 AM

what was the backlash?

by Anonymousreply 424October 14, 2021 2:07 AM

^ Fan debates and complaints, especially on Twitter, about stuff they didn't like earlier in the season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425October 14, 2021 2:12 AM

shucks, I just binged it over the past couple weeks, can't be bothered with the "backlash"

by Anonymousreply 426October 14, 2021 2:13 AM

I liked both season equally. It’s just the perfect show for these crazy times.

by Anonymousreply 427October 14, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote]I don’t get why people think the Beard episode was a great episode. It just seemed like a surreal random dream sequence, not anything profound or groundbreaking.

It was Dante in half an hour. Dunno about you, but I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 428October 14, 2021 5:05 AM

or 45 minutes even

by Anonymousreply 429October 14, 2021 2:01 PM

People think Jason Sudekis is Ted Lasso.

by Anonymousreply 430October 14, 2021 4:45 PM

he's a cutie

by Anonymousreply 431October 14, 2021 6:33 PM

Olivia Wilde left him for Harry Styles just as he was about to hit the big time. Bad timing.

by Anonymousreply 432October 15, 2021 3:03 AM

Olivia is feeling herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433October 15, 2021 3:31 AM

With all the plot speculations, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Roy and Phoebe's teacher. While they're obviously comfortable with each other, I was still a bit surprised when Roy expressed guilt about the fairly harmless time with her. Which made me think "mmmm".

by Anonymousreply 434October 15, 2021 7:51 AM

His problem was that when asked whether he was married he didn't say no, but he was spoken for. I think the fact he did that had confused him about his own commitment to Keeley, which he hadn't questioned previously. I don't think he had any immediate intention of seducing the teacher: it was more that he suddenly realised he wanted to leave such an option open, and it shocked him that he did. We don't know how much experience Roy has of meaningful relationships.

If things fall apart with Keeley he could well take up with the teacher, but it will turn out to be a bad option (not least from Phoebe's POV).

by Anonymousreply 435October 15, 2021 11:02 AM

she's got a nice rack if anything

by Anonymousreply 436October 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Who has a nice rack?

by Anonymousreply 437October 16, 2021 2:03 AM

I’d really like to see Roy and Jamie Tartt get it on in the locker room. also, Nate needs to be a victim of football hooligans, dragged through the streets and beaten like the ugly troll he is.

by Anonymousreply 438October 16, 2021 2:38 AM

Just the name “Jamie tartt” makes me think dirty thoughts

by Anonymousreply 439October 16, 2021 11:19 AM

[quote] Most everyone has good taste in television

As witnessed by the hundreds of threads about the various Housewives shows and other reality TV.

SMH

by Anonymousreply 440October 16, 2021 11:27 AM

[quote] On the flip side, a lot of younger gays talked about how they hated the HBO series Looking because there wasn’t a twenty-something/non-binary...

No.

No one actually said this. Maybe a few freaks on Twitter but the guys on Looking were late 20s/early 30s as it was.

by Anonymousreply 441October 16, 2021 11:31 AM

Agree completely R417

I thought it was brilliant too.

Take a character from your favorite sitcom and put him in a weird dream sequence episode that actually makes sense tonally with the rest of the show.

The whole episode was so well done too.

by Anonymousreply 442October 16, 2021 11:33 AM

Which part of London does Ted live? It's very picture postcard.

by Anonymousreply 443October 16, 2021 4:26 PM

Richmond, in southwest London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444October 16, 2021 6:40 PM

I'd love to see Charlie Rawes, the roided-up goon from "Beard After Hours," come back in some capacity.

by Anonymousreply 445October 16, 2021 6:52 PM

Those of you who thought the Beard episode was brilliant, what do you see in it? I mean it without any snark. It didn't seem meaningful to me at all, and I'd like to hear more about that.

by Anonymousreply 446October 16, 2021 7:16 PM

Supposedly, "Beard After Hours" is a modern-day retelling of the Odyssey, which successfully translated the experience of reading a stream of consciousness novel for TV.

Apparently there’s some of Dante's The Divine Comedy mixed in as well.

by Anonymousreply 447October 16, 2021 7:36 PM

Huh. Interesting. But why?

by Anonymousreply 448October 16, 2021 7:48 PM

By that I mean that Coach Beard isn't a very interesting character, and we don't know much about him that would make this journey meaningful. His relationship seems stupid (and subsequently they break up and get back together again an unknown number of times--see season 2 finale). It just didn't seem worth it. I'm probably overthinking it, though. Thanks for answering.

by Anonymousreply 449October 16, 2021 7:50 PM

It's often hinted that Beard has some sort of other life that's a bit freakish, hence Jane R446

The After Hours episode took that kernel of truth and spun it out into a dream sequence fantasy, where actual characters from the show--the three pub boys, for instance, were acting in the way you'd expect them to act, but then weird random things were happening like Beard could fake being an Oxford don and the Toffs and the Pub Boys bonded and then Beard was wearing Elton John pants and being chased around London by a giant tough guy... there was something magical about the whole thing because it played off of the whole "WTF *does* Beard do when he's not with Ted" bit and spun it out.

Sort of like the underwater episode of BoJack, it doesn't necessarily advance the plot as much as thrill and delight fans by giving you a very different kind of story featuring characters you already know.

Make sense?

by Anonymousreply 450October 16, 2021 8:04 PM

Beard needs to be seated in every episode to avoid looking at his birthing hips and flat flabby ass.

by Anonymousreply 451October 16, 2021 11:26 PM

I like how Beard supports Ted and has been on to Nate being a snake.

by Anonymousreply 452October 17, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote]and I like your mustache

Don’t you wish that Ted would end up with BEARD!

by Anonymousreply 453October 17, 2021 12:57 AM

Beard is the man

by Anonymousreply 454October 17, 2021 2:11 AM

[quote]By that I mean that Coach Beard isn't a very interesting character, and we don't know much about him that would make this journey meaningful.

The fact that r449 missed nearly two seasons full of hints of Coach Beard having a wild and rocky private life, as r450 mentions, makes me think this isn't the show for him if he's only catching surface stuff.

by Anonymousreply 455October 17, 2021 3:15 AM

[quote]Don’t you wish that Ted would end up with BEARD!

Keeley says in the show that people keep asking her whether Ted and Beard are an item.

by Anonymousreply 456October 17, 2021 3:20 AM

We haven't discussed Higgins enough. They showed his family of five sons, the eldest became a priest, with the irony being he was born out of wedlock. I'd like them to delve more into that in season 3.

by Anonymousreply 457October 17, 2021 10:58 AM

higgens is a comic trope, but comes across is better rounded that at times

by Anonymousreply 458October 17, 2021 12:11 PM

That’s because the actor is so good.

by Anonymousreply 459October 17, 2021 12:37 PM

he actually is

by Anonymousreply 460October 17, 2021 12:40 PM

No, R455, I saw all that, and it wasn't interesting to me. It all seemed an obvious way of making him look weird and mysterious without showing us anything about his real nature. I liked him more in the beginning, when he was an almost total cipher whose tiny interactions with Lasso spoke of a lot below the surface. The rest is just window dressing. Sorry not to be the idiot you wanted me to be.

by Anonymousreply 461October 17, 2021 3:48 PM

R461 will not be dismissed!!!

by Anonymousreply 462October 17, 2021 3:56 PM

her boundaries have been crossed!

by Anonymousreply 463October 17, 2021 4:24 PM

The casting has been perfect top down. Amazing to me that Bill Lawrence wanted Brett Goldstein to play Higgins and James Lance (Trent Crimm) and Phil Dunster's (Jamie) agents wanted them to audition for Higgins.

by Anonymousreply 464October 17, 2021 4:29 PM

Hilarious

by Anonymousreply 465October 17, 2021 5:24 PM

Brendan Hunt is in no way compelling enough as an actor to carry an episode of a series. The flaws he has (like the way he pronounces the consonant s) are only amplified.

by Anonymousreply 466October 17, 2021 5:42 PM

Posters like R466 is why DLers so often scare me.

by Anonymousreply 467October 17, 2021 5:50 PM

James Lance (Trent Crimm) and Jeremy Swift (Higgins) were in two of the most underrated Brit comedies of the 00s.

James Lance was fantastic as brothers Barney and Lachlan Glendenning in The Book Group. Warning: the series contains aggressive anal sex between two men.

And Jeremy Swift is fantastic as Barry in The Smoking Room. There is no aggressive anal sex in the series, thanfully, but it is very funny and very British, and very much of its time.

by Anonymousreply 468October 17, 2021 5:54 PM

Oh please, R467. I’m callling it as I see it. After realizing the whole damn episode was being wasted on somebody who didn’t merit it I fast forwarded to the end.

by Anonymousreply 469October 17, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote]Posters like [R466] is why DLers so often scare me.

R467, You've been told several times yet you don't listen. Being on DL is like walking around Jurassic Park.

by Anonymousreply 470October 17, 2021 6:55 PM

^ And right on queue, the dinosaur posted at r469.

by Anonymousreply 471October 17, 2021 6:57 PM

Oh dear, R471, you’ve hurt my feelings now. I’ll have to drown my self-pity in gin tonight, I fear.

Well, no, actually I’ll be having great sex with my Latvian toyboy and you won’t.

Heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 472October 17, 2021 8:49 PM

Yeah! Well R472 is having an even better sex party! With TWO Latvian toyboys AND a Lithuanian

So there!

by Anonymousreply 473October 17, 2021 9:51 PM

Jeremy Swift was also on Downton Abbey, playing Maggie Smith's devious butler.

by Anonymousreply 474October 17, 2021 10:28 PM

James Lance is a hottie. Was he involved in the anal sex in that series?

by Anonymousreply 475October 17, 2021 10:29 PM

Hmm, I thought I’d seen The Book Group but I don’t remember gay anal sex! Is that the series with Michelle Gomez?

I *loved* The Smoking Room.

by Anonymousreply 476October 17, 2021 10:52 PM

Does the gay sex happen in series two with the gay guy in the group and a Spanish footballer?

Lance played a gay superhero on ITV2's "No Heroics". Sadly it's not available anywhere. From what I've read of it it was wild like Amazon's "The Boys".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477October 17, 2021 11:17 PM

Is Apple TV+ really going to allow this show to end after three seasons? Seriously, they've got to do at least five?

by Anonymousreply 478October 18, 2021 12:32 AM

[quote]I’m callling it as I see it.

always the same excuse from the purblind and dumb

by Anonymousreply 479October 18, 2021 2:20 AM

“Purblind”? Wow, that’s some $10 word right there, R479. Here’s one right back atcha-imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 480October 19, 2021 11:54 PM

Blocked. A ted lasso thread doesn’t deserve cunts like that

by Anonymousreply 481October 19, 2021 11:59 PM

The worst storyline was the Sam/Rebecca hook up. That would never happen.

by Anonymousreply 482October 21, 2021 2:19 AM

likely not, but it seemed sweet

by Anonymousreply 483October 21, 2021 2:40 AM

Ted and Rebecca are soulmates. Love to see Jamie Tartt come out and have his father go fuck off. Roy needs to embrace his inner sexy by dating a ton of women then finding out he loves a cool chick who isn’t about being seen (Phoebes teacher). Troll douche bag Nate needs to get kicked in the balls, lose his ability to use the small cock he has and get fucked! I hate that guy and hope they do NOT redeem or forgive him. Make him a killer, he murders his father and mother for allowing the abuse. Higgins is a gift. Do not change that man at all. The doctor needs some lesbian loving.

by Anonymousreply 484October 21, 2021 2:43 AM

I feel like I am the only person not fond of Keeley. She bugs me and she is not that great looking.

by Anonymousreply 485October 21, 2021 3:41 AM

She does look a lot like those Steve Madden models-skinny, tiny with huge eyes.

by Anonymousreply 486October 21, 2021 4:46 AM

Her forehead looks like a Klingon's

by Anonymousreply 487October 21, 2021 10:41 AM

I hate that koala-faced actor who plays Nate. Not just the character, but the actor himself. People that ugly should not be allowed in entertainment.

And his evil character arch moved too quickly. Wasn't he just a timid water boy last season?

by Anonymousreply 488October 21, 2021 10:50 AM

Agree with [488] He’s a wonky koala faced troll who went from meek water boy to Saville Row Suit wearing evil type. Uglies like him should never get that much screen time unless it’s to be mercilessly taunted and having him dare kiss the office hottie knowing she’s fucking a sexy hot ex footballer ? What a rank! He couldn’t lick the shit off Roy Kents cleats! Keely is odd looking, too skinny , gross teeth and those neck moles make me feel she needs to be scrubbed.

by Anonymousreply 489October 21, 2021 11:56 AM

ugly is as ugly does

by Anonymousreply 490October 21, 2021 1:09 PM

[quote]People that ugly should not be allowed in entertainment.

Another example of why Ted Lasso wins. Regular-looking everyday people rather than your typical, 'only models live in this town' casting most American productions are known for. Also, can you imagine how lily-white the show's cast and extras would've been if left to Hollywood? London is 56% POC and, for once, a show has reflected that perfectly. The typical American show would've had an excuse to shoot in front of Buckingham Palace, by now.

by Anonymousreply 491October 21, 2021 1:10 PM

I agree, Nick Mohammed does a great job in this series and yeah, he doesn't look like a matinee idol, and that is good

by Anonymousreply 492October 21, 2021 1:29 PM

Ted Lasso isn’t set in “vibrant” aka ethnically diverse London, though, it’s set in upscale Richmond. I went to a panto in Richmond 10 years ago (I think it was Aladdin) and never saw so many well scrubbed, beautifully dressed blonde children in one place before. It was like fucking Village of the Damned. I sat across from Scottish actor John Hannah and HIS well scrubbed, beautifully dressed blonde children. So no, Ted Lasso is not actually set in a woke utopia.

by Anonymousreply 493October 22, 2021 12:25 AM

I wonder if anyone from Ted Lasso will join Jason Sudeikis on SNL tomorrow night. I’d love it to be Brett Goldstein.

by Anonymousreply 494October 22, 2021 11:34 PM

I haven't watched the new season of SNL but will tune in tomorrow. I am so old I thought his musical guest was Belinda Carlisle.

by Anonymousreply 495October 23, 2021 2:25 AM

Me too

by Anonymousreply 496October 23, 2021 11:12 AM

[quote]Hmm, I thought I’d seen The Book Group but I don’t remember gay anal sex! Is that the series with Michelle Gomez?

[quote]Does the gay sex happen in series two with the gay guy in the group and a Spanish footballer?

Yes - Rab gets fucked aggressively by the Spanish footballer with the broken leg but it's also pretty explicit that Rab is fucking Michelle Gomez's husband.

James Lance's scene with Anne Dudek and the olive oil is jaw dropping. I always wondered what they used to get the sound effects!

And James Lance is also great in I'm Alan Partridge as one of the motel reception staff. Sally Phillips is brilliant as the receptionist who can't stop laughing and Barbara Durkin as the straight taking Susan.

by Anonymousreply 497October 23, 2021 11:25 AM

anal is the key to soccer success

by Anonymousreply 498October 23, 2021 11:51 AM

What is this Book Group show of which you speak? And who the fuck is Anne Dudek?

by Anonymousreply 499October 23, 2021 2:24 PM

This is The Book Group.

Anne Dudek is Clare, an American in Glasgow who starts the book group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500October 23, 2021 2:28 PM

I think Brendan Hunt will probably be on SNL with Sudeikis tonight.

by Anonymousreply 501October 23, 2021 11:13 PM

Brenden Hunt is shaped like grimace. He has birthing hips and a flabby ass. The Beard episode was the only misfire. Oh and Rebecca having a romance with her employee who is a child. He calls his father when he takes a shit, the guy is not mature.

by Anonymousreply 502October 24, 2021 2:00 AM

I just finished watching season 2 today, and I very much enjoyed it, and texted the friend who insisted that I watch it after season one "fuck that little rat-face Nate" after he went after the kid who replaced his when they gave him the shirt that said "The Wonder Kid."

I enjoyed Beard After Dark, it had a surreal quality, and I enjoyed the dip into his private life. I enjoy the occasional up all night type of episode where the tone tends to be very different from regular episodes.

Am I the only one that finds themselves walking around the house singing Jamie Tartt duh duh duh-duh-duh-duh Jamie Tartt

I usually follow up with He's a twat duh-duh-duh-duh-duh duh

I also came across the Venn diagram below, which I found amusing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503October 24, 2021 3:29 AM

R503, the Jamie Tartt / Baby Shark song is FOREVER stuck in my head.

I caught myself humming it even when I'm not totally aware I am.

by Anonymousreply 504October 24, 2021 3:48 AM

R503, i love that Venn diagram

by Anonymousreply 505October 24, 2021 12:33 PM

I still need an explanation. Why can't we type the African billionaire's full name on DL? What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 506October 24, 2021 12:47 PM

You can thank the raving Tik-Tok queen with the same first name for that, R506.

by Anonymousreply 507October 24, 2021 12:53 PM

Okufu

by Anonymousreply 508October 24, 2021 12:59 PM

r507, weird

by Anonymousreply 509October 24, 2021 1:00 PM

So if Okufu's first name is banned can I the name of British politician a Currie who had an affair with John Major and passed a law to lower the age of consent for gay men? Can I type the name of Edwian Monsoon, the main character in British situation comedy Absolutely Fabulous?

by Anonymousreply 510October 24, 2021 1:01 PM

Sorry, typo - I meant E-D-W-I-N-A ( a) Monsoon

by Anonymousreply 511October 24, 2021 1:01 PM

[quote] Am I the only one that finds themselves walking around the house singing Jamie Tartt duh duh duh-duh-duh-duh Jamie Tartt

No. We all do. As, I am told, do parents whose kids listen to the original "Baby Shark" song it is based on.

And very funny Venn diagram, thank you R503

Side Note: Do you all worry that people like R488 and R489 are torturing small animals? Or have they just lived with Mother for too long and are taking it out on the world?

by Anonymousreply 512October 24, 2021 1:02 PM

This is R399, they progressively greyed the actor's natural hair throughout the season, but that last scene, with completely grey hair, was a wig.

by Anonymousreply 513October 24, 2021 1:05 PM

Sorry, I think I meant to say this is FOR r399. I'm not r399.

by Anonymousreply 514October 24, 2021 1:07 PM

The French man who Plays the French footballer is divine looking. Need him deep inside me.

by Anonymousreply 515October 24, 2021 4:41 PM

I grew up playing soccer as a Latino but can't get into this show. I still go to matches. The show though seems forced and I can't waste my time on a show with zero representation, I'd rather invest my time on something else.

by Anonymousreply 516October 24, 2021 5:39 PM

Futbol is life R516

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517October 24, 2021 5:51 PM

There are very few Latinos, of any nationality in British soccer.

Get real, R516, pendejo.

We are extremely lucky to have Dani on the show.

by Anonymousreply 518October 24, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote]There are very few Latinos, of any nationality in British soccer.

Laughing so much at the idea of "very few Latinos" in English football and also laughing at the term "British soccer".

by Anonymousreply 519October 24, 2021 6:40 PM

^^^ but bruh, 'soccer' is british

by Anonymousreply 520October 24, 2021 6:59 PM

No, R520, it’s not. The British call it “football”.

by Anonymousreply 521October 24, 2021 7:58 PM

By representation I mean gay characters, I couldn't care less if they're black, white or Latino. I don't care to invest on a show where only straight people exist, not even my love for soccer will make me watch something without gays like me, it's a personal choice.

So fuck you R518 !

by Anonymousreply 522October 24, 2021 8:10 PM

Fuck off [516] racist! You know you meant Latinos until corrected now it’s gays. How about we don’t know which player is playing for what team and that’s ok. Being gay, I don’t need to have a checks and balances on every fucking show on air like certain races want. Maybe the players are gay and straight , who the fuck cares? It’s hot guys with their shirts off. and Jason Sudekis , Roy Kent and Jamie Tartt. I’m satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 523October 24, 2021 10:36 PM

r516 There are zero openly gay men in the English (not British, r518) Premier League. Including all the main European football leagues like the Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, German Bundesliga, the French Ligue 1 and even minor ones like the Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Belgian, Czech, Greek, Polish, Scottish, Danish, Swiss etc, that number increases to a grand total of ... zero.

They cannot force a gay character if they want to stay authentic. They can only hint at a closeted character, which is what they've done in passing.

by Anonymousreply 524October 25, 2021 1:17 AM

The dutch guy is a turd

by Anonymousreply 525October 25, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote]They can only hint at a closeted character, which is what they've done in passing.

I think Trent Crimm will turn out to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 526October 25, 2021 4:14 AM

And fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 527October 25, 2021 11:59 AM

[quote] They cannot force a gay character if they want to stay authentic.

What. The. Actual. Fuck?????? You believe Ted Lasso is so far authentic? And a soccer player coming out or a gay themed story line about a closeted soocer player would be a bridge too far?

by Anonymousreply 528October 25, 2021 12:31 PM

trent Krimm isn't even a player

by Anonymousreply 529October 25, 2021 12:43 PM

No mention of Phoebe's random obsession with painting tits over and over again? Her teacher showing Brett the paintings and the rich billionaire' s temper tantrum when Sam declines his offer are the best scenes from the later episodes for me.

Nate is a very rich and complex character. Suffering from low self-esteem, desperate for approval from authority figures (his father, Ted) and lashing out and being cruel when he doesn't get his fix. I think the actor does a really good job. When Nate tells off Ted for denying him the love and approval he so desperately needs, you know he really says it to his dad. There is a lot of hurt and pain in that guy and it expresses itself as him being a total dick.

by Anonymousreply 530October 25, 2021 12:45 PM

[quote]rich billionaire' s temper tantrum when Sam declines his offer are the best scenes from the later episodes for me.

it's been mentioned

by Anonymousreply 531October 25, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote]There is a lot of hurt and pain in that guy and it expresses itself as him being a total dick.

it's indeed a great performance

by Anonymousreply 532October 25, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote]the rich billionaire's

Redundant.

by Anonymousreply 533October 26, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote] the rich billionaire's

[quote] Redundant.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 534October 26, 2021 7:27 AM

Jason Sudekis is seeing the actress who plays Rupert’s young hot baby mama IRL. On the show, Ted Lasso and Rebecca are meant for each other. Sam is a F***ing child, always calling daddy in Africa to tell him he wiped his ass, how could anyone believe he could be in a mature relationship with a powerful woman (who happens to be his boss and double his age?) The show has a thread of Ted and Rebecca’s mirroring experiences. I loved Sam Richardsons crazy african billionaire going mental like a kid whose candy is taken away, we need him back next season for sure. The troll rat faced loser Nate needs to get bullied by the new teams players, mental breakdown time, no they don’t let him back to Richmond, he’s Judas. Total fugly. The therapist Dr Sharon needs a hot lez storyline, maybe she can scissor Rebecca’s mum? She needs to get laid and Sharon’s older. I do think she’s an alcoholic so they need to address that if they have her back. Trent Crimm in Keelys job? Maybe he can get one of the boys in the locker room to cum out (Jamie for the win) or maybe Roy Kent is secretly closeted ? His anger issues….?

by Anonymousreply 535October 26, 2021 12:32 PM

Roy kent seems actually pretty in touch with his feelings

there is a closet gay character on the team and I can see Trent being a kindly gay uncle to him in the future

by Anonymousreply 536October 26, 2021 12:38 PM

[quote]Jason Sudekis is seeing the actress who plays Rupert’s young hot baby mama IRL

I had no idea Jason Sudekis got jiggy with the real Keeley! Apparently it wasn't a long term thing.

Keeley Hazell could have been the inspiration for Keeley, although there are dozens of women who progressed from tits out for the lads to dating footballers (Anton Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Keiran Richardson in Hazell's case) and then moving up the celebrity ranks via Steve Jones (lucky bitch!) and David Walliams (to each their own).

Her wiki page is hilarious

[quote]Hazell was hailed by Conservative leader David Cameron in December 2006 as an "environmental hero"[3] for her campaigns in The Sun, giving environmental tips such as turning lights off during the day. She was named alongside the likes of David Attenborough, Prince Charles, and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Tories' list.[26]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537October 26, 2021 12:56 PM

She looks like his ex Olivia here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538October 27, 2021 12:32 AM

Origins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539October 29, 2021 1:33 AM

^ NBC must be kicking themselves.

by Anonymousreply 540October 29, 2021 1:34 AM

What is Coach Beard's name?

by Anonymousreply 541October 29, 2021 1:41 AM

Mitt Romney and Krysten Sinema try to ruin this show for everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542October 29, 2021 2:22 AM

ugh, that's terrible

by Anonymousreply 543October 29, 2021 11:40 AM

My mental health substantially improved after I muted the words Sinema and Manchin on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 544October 29, 2021 7:07 PM

Back to Ted - I watched an interview with Brett Goldstein where he said they've written fewer scenes for Roy and Jamie together in Season 2 because the two of them crack each other up so much it takes all day to film a scene.

by Anonymousreply 545October 30, 2021 5:26 AM

Cutie pies

by Anonymousreply 546October 30, 2021 11:44 AM

[545] also because we all see their sexual chemistry and are rooting for Roy to dump human qtip KeelyRexic and get with hottie Jamie! Imagine Roy never swears again, anger is gone now that he’s finally embraced his inner homo and Jamie realizes the father figure he wanted wasn’t what he needed, it was a nice dicking from a real man.

by Anonymousreply 547October 30, 2021 12:29 PM

The men on this show are hot. I would murder a family member to get with Roy or Jamie.

by Anonymousreply 548October 30, 2021 12:58 PM

The main problem with this show is the complete lack of locker room nudity.

by Anonymousreply 549October 30, 2021 3:01 PM

The 3rd and possible final season began shooting this week. I hope the show sticks the landing.

by Anonymousreply 550March 11, 2022 1:34 AM

I think it will. If it avoids Ted and Rebecca as endgame.

by Anonymousreply 551March 11, 2022 2:43 AM

I hate the idea of Ted and Rebecca being a couple.. It's unnecessary and clichéd.

by Anonymousreply 552March 11, 2022 4:59 PM

Rebecca is a little too Alpha for Ted.

by Anonymousreply 553March 23, 2022 12:33 AM

I’m starting the second episode, is Ted supposed to be an idiot savant?

by Anonymousreply 554April 17, 2022 12:58 AM

No, R554, just an eternal optimist.

by Anonymousreply 555April 17, 2022 5:15 PM

Does it get better?

by Anonymousreply 556April 17, 2022 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!