Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brideshead Revisited 1981: Anthony Andrews or Jeremy Irons?

Team Anthony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2021 2:39 PM

never liked it.

no desire to revisit.

[quote]Who was hotter?

neither

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2021 2:23 AM

They did a nude scene : total anti-climax.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2021 2:29 AM

OP, you left Anthony Blanche off your poll.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2021 2:30 AM

Mmmmmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2021 2:33 AM

That blond one was skinny and dull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2021 2:35 AM

Sir Anthony Andrews is now 73, so average DL age.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2021 2:37 AM

Jeremy Irons had zero sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2021 2:41 AM

Charles is just like Waugh himself, such a dreary mope, unable to make emotional connections with others. He’s a cipher.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2021 2:41 AM

This show, for all its idiotic bits and pieces, overall had and has lots of charm. It is more fun than the novel.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2021 2:43 AM

Irons has haunting voice and magnificent cadene.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2021 2:44 AM

R10 He does, but his voice is the only sexy thing about him.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2021 2:46 AM

I was, as a gayling, very unimpressed with the Irons backside. Now I am ok. Still prefer Andrews'.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2021 2:49 AM

[quote] Irons backside.

Germaine Greer who's used to the bronzed Aussie Adonis referred to one scene in rides head with a close up of Jeremy's flank and she said it looked as spotty as mouldy bread.

But I agree with R10 that Jeremy's talent is in his haunting voice and magnificent cadence. The French chose Jeremy to narrate the Proust film and he was excellent in this audio (which unfortunately is no longer available)—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2021 3:01 AM

R7

Says you; but facts speak otherwise.

When BRR reached American shores scores of females and gay men were creaming their undergarments over Jeremy Irons. The man could stand there and recite out of the A-B-C's and give people orgasms.

After BRR Irons was a hot property doing several films (Swann in Love, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Dead Ringers, Reversal of Fortune...) that further cemented him as a more cerebral sex symbol.

No one can say Jeremy Irons is (or was) drop dead gorgeous and or a stud say in way of young Ruppert Everett, but there was something about him that seemed to tick all the right boxes.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2021 3:20 AM

Sonny ... was ... a ... drug ... addickt

No so difficult.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote]Germaine Greer who's used to the bronzed Aussie Adonis referred to one scene in rides head with a close up of Jeremy's flank and she said it looked as spotty as mouldy bread.

I have no trouble imagining that to be true.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2021 6:03 PM

Princess Anne had a lengthy affair with Anthony Andrews in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2021 6:05 PM

I assume we are speaking of looks not how each one nailed his role?

Because both were fantastic. Did any of you lot read the book, as well?

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote] Jeremy Irons had zero sex appeal.

r7 But, he has a bedroom voice.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2021 6:08 PM

R18 Yes, I read the book. The casting was perfect. Has nothing to do with the actors’ hotness or lack thereof.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2021 6:10 PM

I didn't like Andrews in Sebastian role. He's constantly looking like a man in midlife crisis than some adult kid saying " 'If it could only be like this always – always summer, always alone, the fruit always ripe and Aloysius in a good temper...'

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2021 1:31 AM

Jesus Christ! Jeremy Irons’ son is smoking hot! I voted for the other guy in OP’s poll, but if Jeremy looked like his son....😳

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 1, 2021 1:38 AM

Jeremy Irons. Too bad he's a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 23February 1, 2021 1:39 AM

I like Irons' dark eyes and hair. I thought he was sexy in several of his early film roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 1, 2021 2:00 AM

Jeremy Irons was extremely hot in his younger years- like Patrician, Elitist hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 1, 2021 2:13 AM

I suppose it's a c-curse of the rich that nobody will help them with addiction or mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 26February 1, 2021 2:24 AM

BR showed the British people why they are fortunate to be largely a Protestant nation.

by Anonymousreply 27February 1, 2021 2:36 AM

When the series first aired, watching as a confused teen I was team Anthony but he’s revealed himself to be a bit of a homophobe (same as Jeremy right? R23). So I am now Team Aloysius.

by Anonymousreply 28February 1, 2021 2:37 AM

These actors are homophobes? They're in the wrong business!

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2021 4:54 PM

I read the book as I was into Waugh but it's an unusual Waugh and I'm not sure I enjoyed/appreciated its longueurs.

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2021 5:16 PM

Team Aloysius, Yes!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2021 1:13 AM

Jeremy has never been hot. What does Anthony look like now? Show us!

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2021 1:22 AM

Anthony Andrews married the Simpsons Department Store heiress in the early 70's and has stayed married to her ever since. He's never been desperate for money, which is why we never saw much of him unless he either loved the script or had become bored enough to work.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2021 1:27 AM

Jeremy Irons son in R22 looks exactly like his mother Sinead Cusack. .

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 8:56 PM

I was team Anthony at the time, before I realized how monkey-like he looked. Now, I'm Team Neither.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 8:58 PM

Team Charles. I’m not going to compete with that d-d-damn bear.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 9:00 PM

I'm team Antony Blanche now, too. Honestly, decades after seeing this series, his performance was what continued to stand out in my memory. D-d-d-elicious!

Aloysius is my runner-up.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 9:03 PM

Do you talk from personal experience, R8.

Were you the pest hanging around the grounds?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 9:09 PM

R9 Evelyn Waugh's novel is from his serious phase. It is not meant to be "fun".

I suggest you watch some trash on TV if you want "fun".

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 9:11 PM

The first time I saw Jeremy Irons was in this when it premiered on PBS. Not long after, I saw him in The French Lieutenant's Woman and Betrayal. He held his own with Streep and Kingsley. Long time fan, he gets my vote for anything.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 9:15 PM

Jeremy Irons had an affair with Carly Simon.

I know from someone who knows her that she became pregnant with his child. And he asked her to have an abortion. She did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 9:32 PM

Your prejudice, R23, doesn't bear scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 9:46 PM

Who was the top?

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 9:46 PM

the damned bear

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 10:00 PM

Matthew Goode

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2021 1:04 AM

R41 "Jeremy Irons and his wife visited Carly Simon's house in Martha's Vineyard in 1984. Jeremy then fornicated with Simon."

This anecdote doesn't seem quite credible to my mind.

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2021 5:30 AM

Hard choice OP, I lusted after both of them at the time, but Irons looked better in the scene R4 posted

I dont remember Anthony Blanche being cute back then but he's since grown on me

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2021 12:02 PM

[quote]"Jeremy Irons and his wife visited Carly Simon's house in Martha's Vineyard in 1984. Jeremy then fornicated with Simon."

Jeremy Irons and his whole family (with wife) stayed at Carly Simon's house for several weeks in the summer of 1984. Jeremy Irons returned to Matha's Vineyard alone that Fall to work on a music video with Carly. It was then that they started fucking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2021 2:30 PM

As a teenager I was team Anthony, until he turned up on the Love Boat and ruined it all. And he does look like a monkey.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2021 2:53 PM

[quote] BR showed the British people why they are fortunate to be largely a Protestant nation.

Beware of the Anglo-Catholics. They’re all sodomites with unpleasant accents.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2021 4:31 AM

Didn't Andrews play the future Duke on Upstairs Downstairs?

He was very cute in that.

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2021 1:18 PM

R40

You should have caught Jeremy Irons in "Swann In Love".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 5, 2021 8:17 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 5, 2021 8:19 AM

Hated it. As a young gay man with very little gay content available back then I still found it extremely boring and tedious with very little pay off.

So that was our choice, extremely boring ugly rich queens or extremely bitch self centered mean spirited NYC queens AKA Boys in the Band. Nothing in between or closer to normal.

by Anonymousreply 54March 5, 2021 9:28 AM

This was such a massive hit in Australia at the time. And that bitter-sweet soundtrack... I still have the vinyl record. Both actors were too old for the roles, even more so in hindsight - but for me Andrews had the cuter butt. The 2008 film was better cast with Ben Wishaw and Matthew Goode.

by Anonymousreply 55March 5, 2021 9:34 AM

Evelyn Waugh was a miserable swine, being a Catholic did him no favours at all.

by Anonymousreply 56March 5, 2021 12:07 PM

Team R1. Besides that I despise Irons...snotty bastard.

by Anonymousreply 57March 5, 2021 12:09 PM

The straight FRAUS must have LOVE Brideshead Revisted. They LOVE posh, mannered FAGGOTS like Sebastian Flyte.

by Anonymousreply 58March 5, 2021 12:14 PM

R2 every regular Datalounger carries the spirit of Anthony Blanche.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 5, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote]Evelyn Waugh was a miserable swine, being a Catholic did him no favours at all.

Waugh said that if he hadn't become a Catholic, he'd barely be human at all.

by Anonymousreply 60March 5, 2021 5:33 PM

I am just rewatching this. I loved it at the time and the series doesn't seem dated. But Jeremy irons is a complete turn-off. His acting is wooden, and he is not attractive at all. The thin lips, discoloured teeth, and he looks utterly gormless every time he smiles. He seems incapable of expressing emotion. The constant smoking, especially the pipe, must have made him stink. He was way, way too old for the role; he was supposed to be 18, 19, but he looked 35. His voice and diction are great however. I liked him in the remake of Lolita.

Anthony Andrews is an adequate Sebastian, especially after Sebastian deteriorated, but his performance is not the equal of Ben Whishaw's. It was also odd that Anthony Andrews and Diana Quick were chosen to play siblings, which we are repeatedly told, strongly resembled each other.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2021 12:12 PM

Did Anthony Andrews go on to work in theatre or what exactly happened to his career after Bridey?

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2021 1:28 PM

Meh. Chariots of Fire, Maurice and Another Country all had better looking men. Jeremy Irons was sexy as Claus von Bülow and a great performance!

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2021 2:07 PM

The original casting was different -- the two actors decided they wanted to switch roles, so they did.

I think that was a wise choice.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2021 2:19 PM

The film version with Matthew Goode and Ben Wishaw was thoroughly hated here, but I thought they were better cast choices. Wishaw had a damaged, charming fragility that pouting Andrews could never manage and it was wholly credible why they would all fall for Charles Rider as played by Goode.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2021 2:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!