Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you visited any celebrity graves? What did you leave for them?

I've been to Arlington, Pere Lachaise, Marx's grave at Highgate, Richard Burton in Celigny but I never left anything..

One grave I'd like to visit is that of Little Eva. I'll put a small locomotive and a red rose near her headstone with a card that says "Thank you, girl."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 5, 2021 5:40 PM

Thank you, girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2021 1:05 AM

We stopped at Forest Lawn and asked the gate porter for a map of the celebrities' graves and he looked down at us as riff-raff and said there was no such thing, it was their resting place. He was very prissy.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2021 1:10 AM

Here's on in my neighboring state of Indiana...haven't been there yet but I know it's a major pilgrimage site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2021 1:17 AM

Jim Morrison's grave in Paris is covered with graffiti tributes. Charles Lindburgh's grave in Hawaii is deliberately hard to find. Audie Murphy's grave at Arlington is nice.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2021 1:18 AM

Sinatra's grave in Palm Springs is a dump. Dried grass, chain link fence, etc. It's surprisingly bad. Why no Italian family tomb?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2021 1:22 AM

I went to Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery on a tour once and saw all of the celebrities there.

I've visited where my Grandmother is interred at Calvary Cemetery in LA. Ethel Barrymore has a crypt on the same wall as her and Lionel and John are nearby.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2021 1:25 AM

Jim Morrison's grave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2021 1:26 AM

R6. No pix?

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2021 1:27 AM

Sorry, R8 but the last time I was there I was probably around 7. I should go next time I'm in LA, though and take a couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2021 1:32 AM

I've never been to a celebrity grave but I did go and stand at the tunnel where Princess Diana died when I was in Paris. Even years later it was decorated with mass flowers, cards and gifts.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2021 1:38 AM

Hillside Memorial Park (Jewish) and Hollywood Forever are worthwhile in LA, although Westwood Mmeorial Park has a greater density of stars than any of them. My sister and I saw some woman who looked like she lived in her car leave a kiss on Dean Martin’s crypt. The big Catholic movie star cemetery (I think it’s called Holy Cross) discourages tourists. The Forest Lawns used to be accommodating and you can stumble on bit players like Sammee Tong at the Glendale one, which has a lot of old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2021 1:38 AM

Stonewall Jackson's grave in Lexington, VA (not a Confederate sympathizer, I just happened to be in town)

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2021 1:39 AM

I spent a whole day in Père Lachaise Cemetery last time I was in Paris. It gorgeous (and huge) and I enjoyed looking for all the final resting places of famous people. Jim Morrison’s is probably the most popular, but I was equally interested in allot the great composers buried there (Rossini, Poulenc...), Maria Callas, Oscar Wilde, etc. I’ll probably go do it again some day because it was so interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2021 1:42 AM

Evita. It was in bad shape. I swear I could peek through crumbling stone and see her casket. I had expected a group of weepy catholic women holding crucifixes and rosary beads but I was the only there.

I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2021 1:44 AM

Why do headstones always reference angels? Are we all supposed to be angels in the next life? If so, that means Richard Speck is an angel. I dont want to sit next to him.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2021 2:00 AM

[quote]One grave I'd like to visit is that of Little Eva. I'll put a small locomotive and a red rose near her headstone with a card that says "Thank you, girl."

Not GURL?

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2021 2:21 AM

The ultimate: Elvis at Graceland, buried right next to Mama. When I was there, three middle-aged fraus were on the ground, literally sobbing. I was all shook up.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2021 2:35 AM

Evita’s tomb in Buenos Aries, Recoleta section. Massive, well kept. This was around 2010. Did not leave anything; there were scads of floral arrangements.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2021 2:42 AM

Why don't you bitches post pix?

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote]Evita. It was in bad shape. I swear I could peek through crumbling stone and see her casket. I had expected a group of weepy catholic women holding crucifixes and rosary beads but I was the only there. I'm gay.

So, you performed the entire musical, playing every part.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2021 2:53 AM

Amusing that Helen Lawson is buried in the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cementary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2021 2:54 AM

Saw tons of them at Westwood. I didn't leave anything but a prayer for one.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2021 2:56 AM

Diana's grave at Althorp was the only one worth visiting. We were robbed by selfish Caroline of being able to visit JFK Jr's grave.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2021 3:01 AM

Yes, Jayne Mansfield, she’s buried in the same cemetery as my parents.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2021 3:01 AM

Chopin's (Pere Lachaise Cemetery). I remember walking by Jim Morrison's grave, too, but wasn't that interested. Can't recall any others I've gone to.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2021 3:03 AM

Oh, I also intended to visit Karl Marx's grave in Highgate Cemetery, but it was one of my first times in London and I got lost, ending up in Hampstead instead.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2021 3:05 AM

Highgate Cemetery in London is incredible. It's one of the most remarkable places I've ever visited. There are 53000 graves in it, with Karl Marx's being the most remarkable (and monumental), but also with George Eliot's, Malcolm McLaren's, George Michael's, Beryl Bainbridge's, Radclyffe Hall's, both Anthony and Peter Shaffer's, Sir Ralph Richardson's, Douglas Adams', Christina Rossetti's, Jacob Bronowski's, Lucian Freud's, ... and it goes on and on and on, and is covered in ferns and other vegetation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2021 3:07 AM

Jaco Pastorius. Left flowers.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2021 3:12 AM

I visit a lot of celebrity graves.

Usually with a shovel.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2021 3:14 AM

Marlene Dietrich in Berlin. Very plain. You would have to be specifically looking for it to find it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2021 3:16 AM

It's a bit hard to find Jim Morrison's grave in Père Lachaise; his estate could not afford one of the fancier graves along the main walkways, so you have to really search for it (though you can get a map at the entrance to find it). his devotees used to paint directions on other graves and mausoleums with arrows on them telling you which way to go to find his, but eventually it got to be much and everything was scrubbed and taken down because it was disrespectful to the other dead people there.

He is actually far from the most notable person buried there: you can (usually more easily) find the graves of Molière, Colette, Marcel Proust, Jean Auguste Dominque Ingres, Édith Piaf, Peter Abelard and Héloïse, Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas, Honoré de Balzac, Georges Bizet, Frédéric Chopin, Isadora Duncan, Richard Wright, Amadeo Modigliani, Camille Pissarro, and, famously, Oscar Wilde. There got to be a weird tradition of women kissing Wilde's cenotaph and leaving your lipstick there that actually began to damage the scuplture (by Epstein)m, so they had to cover it with Lucite to protect it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2021 3:20 AM

I guess I’ve pretty much made it a pastime, and I’m a traditionalist and usually bring flowers. Some highlights are the Carpenter’s mausoleum to see Karen, unfortunately she’s interned there with her bitch of a Mother for eternity, poor girl. But nice hilltop view in the valley and extravagant without looking too tacky.

I’ve been to Edie Sedgwick’s grave, which is simple, quiet and low key, such a difference from how she lived her life. Andy Warhol’s definitely wins for what people have brought to it, Campbell’s Soup, classic green bottles of Coke, flowers and more. I purposely visited his mother’s grave and brought her flowers, I felt Andy would want her to be remembered too.

One of most special experiences was visiting Harry Houdini’s grave on Halloween, the day he died, it’s a lovely almost Victorian monument in a Hasidic cemetery in Queens and then going to the Catholic cemetery in Westchester where Bess, his wife, is buried. She couldn’t be buried in the Jewish cemetery although there’s a marker for her. I mixed two bouquets of flowers together and left bunches at each grave. Houdini’s grave had many objects placed there, especially playing cards and of course stones as is the Jewish tradition.

One of the first, and most powerful ones was Clover Adams, the wife of historian and author Henry Adams in Rockcreek Cemetery in Washington D.C. Distraught over her father’s death, she committed suicide by drinking photo developing chemicals, she was one of the first female photographers. Her husband had Augustus St. Gaudens design an ethereal memorial for her that ranks as one of the most important works of funerary art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2021 3:23 AM

I left a note on Louisa May Alcott's grave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2021 3:42 AM

I once saw Marilyn Monroe's grave (plus tons of other celebs in a cemetary in Westwood.)

I just stumbled onto it. Didn't know it was there.

People would stick pens and paper in the cracks so if she rose from the dead she could write to them I guess.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2021 3:45 AM

oh wait - - I linked the wrong Sleepy Hollow Cemetery!

Alcott's is in Concord, MA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2021 3:48 AM

Article about that graveyard.

Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Ralph Waldo Emerson are also buried there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2021 3:52 AM

My dad lives 30 miles from Diana's, so I've visited her's at Althorp, Northants.

The nicest one I've been to is to the English Cemetery in Florence, Italy. An ex and I went, as he was interested and he now teaches English Literature. When we arrive at the gate it was closed, but an old nun saw us there and came out. "Where are you from?", she asked, through the locked gate. "Brighton, England", I replied. "Oh you can come in", she said. "I used to study at Arundel, near there."

The cemetery is beautiful. It is full of famous graves, like Elizabeth Barrett-Browning's. You can see it in the movies as it features in the opening scene of Tea with Mussolini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2021 3:53 AM

R37 Yes it is lovely, and the Protestant Cemetery in Rome is a nice follow up.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2021 4:06 AM

Since I’m from LA, I’ve visited many celebrity graves at Forest lawn, Westwood, Hollywood Forever etc. My relatives are buried at Holy Cross in Culver City so I like to stop at the graves of Sharon Tate, Rita Hayworth, Bing Crosby, and Rosalind Russell when I visit.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2021 4:24 AM

In Westwood I also remember seeing Jack Lemmon, Merv Griffin (whose tombstone says "I won't be right back"), the little girl from Poltergeist and quite a few others I forget now.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2021 4:29 AM

Not a grave...but I've been to Jon-Benet's house in Boulder. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2021 4:35 AM

Selena’s grave and the memorial in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2021 4:38 AM

R35 Yes! The Existentialists are all buried there. Emerson, Thoreau, and Nathanial Hawthorne are all near Louisa May's gravestone. It's a magical cemetery. I live not so far from it.

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2021 4:38 AM

I went and paid tribute to my beloved Jimmy Stewart at Forest Lawn in Glendale a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2021 4:42 AM

On a trip to Penang in Malaysia, I read that the husband of Anna Leonowens (sp?), Anna of The King and I, was buried in a cemetery there. “ When I think of Tom, I think about a night, When the earth smelled of summer, And the sky was streaked with white” etc etc.

So he’s buried in the Old Protestant Cemetery in the old part of Georgetown which turned out to be a large walled area of dirt, eroded/tumbled headstones with mercifully, plenty of shade trees because it was easily over 100° F and very humid. There was a weathered sign with a hand-painted map showing the location of notable graves but it didn’t bear any relation to where I was standing. I must have staggered around for a couple hours looking for that grave before I gave up.

You have probably know that Anna is not well thought of in Thailand. She GREATLY exaggerated her influence. The king was an educated man who adopted several Western practices, in an effort to ward off becoming colonized by Europeans, the fate of all the other countries in Southeast Asia.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2021 4:43 AM

Took my very artsy family to Figueres, Spain, birthplace of Salvador Dali, a few summers ago. We wanted to go to the Dali Museum (which he designed himself while he was still alive to serve as both his mausoleum and as a repository of his work). When we got to town, they had just exhumed Dail's body after 28 years of resting in peace, because some 60-something year old woman was claiming her mother used to tell her as a child that Dali was her father.

The local papers were saying that his mustache was still intact when they lifted the lid! Anyway, they took DNA from his remains and lowered him back into the below-ground chamber the day before we went to the museum. He resides just below the floor of the giant central atrium where all the visitors walk around on top of his eternal resting place. T(urns out she was not related to Dali and they ended up charging her the cost of the exhumation.) It was a wonderful trip. If you ever find yourself in Catalonia, you must visit the Dali Museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2021 4:55 AM

r41 Who the fuck let you in?

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2021 5:20 AM

Diana didn't die in the tunnel, she died in the hospital

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2021 5:21 AM

[quote]Turns out she was not related to Dali.

They should've known because her mustache much bushier and unkempt.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2021 5:31 AM

So, New Yorkers, have any of you been to Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Westchester County, NY?

Lots of famous people there including James Cagney, Babe Ruth, Dorothy Kilgallen, Billy Martin,Sal Mineo, George Nathan, and Dutch Schultz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2021 5:46 AM

R47: It seems they never fixed that wonky basement window.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2021 6:03 AM

I had a smoke and took a piss on Ree’s grave right after the fat bitch choked on the chicken leg and died. Stopped by nippy’s grave and left a steaming load cuz the bitch couldn’t even leave me a few dollars for some smokes and a new bedazzled caftan for my debut at the Newark Golden Corral.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2021 7:20 AM

Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn is massive and gorgeous, from the landscaping & topography to the statuary and mausoleums. Its "residents" (official terminology) include everyone from Henry Ward Beecher and Louis Comfort Tiffany to Jean-Michel Basquiat and Leonard Bernstein. Well worth many visits.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2021 8:06 AM

R53 My grandparents are buried at Green-Wood. I pay them a visit anytime I’m in NY. I’m always moved as I walk through the grounds.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2021 8:28 AM

Never happen but wouldn't it be great if Trump and Melania would be put in adjoining plots. It would sure save time for all future generations if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2021 8:59 AM

Just two.

Elvis at Graceland and Patsy Cline in Winchester Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2021 9:05 AM

When people say they visit Diana they mean paying for the tour of her family home and looking out at the island she's buried on?

Isn't she in an unmarked grave, all alone?

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2021 9:13 AM

[quote] So, you performed the entire musical, playing every part.

Yes. The matinee crowd was not too lively. My evening performance had an encore.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2021 9:41 AM

R50 I’m R32 and went to visit Bess Houdini there and also saw Sal Mineo and Babe Ruth’s final resting places at Gates of Heaven Cemetery. It is the cemetery for St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC. As you can surmise from my posts, I’ve been to many cemeteries all over the world. Unfortunately, this is one of the dullest, unimaginative cemeteries and not quite worth making a pilgrimage too, the most interesting thing is the mid century modern chapel.

The cemetery to go see in Westchester county (besides the fore-mentioned Sleepy Hollow) is the Hartsdale Pet Cemetery, which is the oldest and largest pet cemetery in the world. It’s nestled on a hillside and each little pet grave is a story unto itself. Just about every type of animal is buried there, quite a few famous ones as well as pets belonging to people like Mariah Carey and Diana Ross. There are also memorials to different animals, like the 9/11 cadaver dogs who searched for bodies. Plan to spend a couple of hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2021 9:58 AM

[quote] Evita’s tomb in Buenos Aries, Recoleta section. Massive, well kept. This was around 2010. Did not leave anything; there were scads of floral arrangements.

I must have gone to Evita’s tomb the day after R18. What I saw did not appear well kept. There were no flowers and no one else was there. It was sad because I had expected R18's experience. I was there on a weekday so maybe the foot traffic was less. It was sort of sad and anti climatic.

Many of the tombs were in a state of disrepair.

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2021 10:05 AM

We've got so many kings and queens and poets and writers buried in our Cathedrals over here in the UK, you take them for granted tbh.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2021 10:36 AM

Bill the Kid, when I lived in New Mexico.

His grave was covered in cigarettes and bullets.

The US is such a weird place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2021 10:43 AM

^ Billy the Kid

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2021 10:44 AM

Oscar Wilde's tomb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2021 10:46 AM

Another vote for Green-Wood Cemetery in NYC I took the Trolley tour and the Twilight Tour of the crypts visited the graves of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Leonard Bernstein. The people conducting the tours are volunteers and some of them are New York characters with amazing stories and make the trip worthwhile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2021 11:28 AM

I've seen more celebrity graves than I can count, especially in Los Angeles. But at home some that would be noteworthy would be

Margaret Mitchell, (author of Gone With The Wind) in Oakland Cemetery

Susan Hayward, in Carrollton, Ga. near her former home

Johnny Mercer, in Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah

Wayland Flowers, in Dawson, Ga.

Miss Lillian (Jimmy Carter's mother) in Plains, Ga.

Flannery O'Connor, in Milledgeville, Ga.

Jan Hooks, in Cedartown, Ga.

Not a "celebrity" per se, but JonBenet Ramsey, in Marietta, Ga.. I have 2 family members interred nearby so I check out her grave when I take flowers out for the relatives.

And last but not least, the Martin Luther King tomb next to Ebenezer Baptist Church

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2021 11:47 AM

Does Elvis’s grave still have his middle name misspelled?

by Anonymousreply 67January 24, 2021 11:50 AM

R6 took the Gay version of the Catholic Pilgrims Tour of Spanish Cathedrals.

by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2021 11:59 AM

Wyatt Earp, buried in the Jewish section (he wasn't Jewish, but wanted to be buried next to his wife who was) of Hills of Eternity, Colma, CA. I was just up the block at Eternal Home, where my parents are buried, remembered that I'd always wanted to see Earp's grave, so walked down the road to have a look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2021 12:03 PM

Don't call her a celebrity! Her head was big enough in life!

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2021 12:21 PM

[quote] I went to Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery on a tour once and saw all of the celebrities there.

Ewwww. Did they dig them up for you or something?

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2021 12:23 PM

[quote] unfortunately she’s interned there with her bitch of a Mother for eternity,

She’s working there for free?

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2021 12:24 PM

Yes. Marilyn’s in Westwood.Me and a friend trekked to Hollywood all the way from Canada in a Volkswagen Beetle.when I was 18 years old. Not exclusively for that purpose but almost.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2021 1:18 PM

TBH, R61, except for a few, they are pretty meaningless to most people, if not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2021 3:23 PM

If you are in NYC, Green-Wood is definitely worth a visit for the famous dead, funerary art and crypts trees and birds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote]r43 Yes! The Existentialists are all buried there. Emerson, Thoreau, and Nathanial Hawthorne are all near Louisa May's gravestone. It's a magical cemetery. I live not so far from it.

Maybe you know my wacky friend Ronni? She lives near it, too. I also dragged her to Orchard House for the hundredth time when I was visiting... which every good gay knows was meticulously recreated for the Winona Ryder version of [italic]Little Women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2021 4:32 PM

I visited Audrey Hepburn's grave at Tolochenaz, Switzerland when I lived there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2021 4:45 PM

I hope you left some food. She was anorexic, and deserves a decent meal.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2021 4:48 PM

I and about 50 other fans visited Laura Branigan’s grave site on her birthday a few years ago. We all joined hands and sang “Self Control”.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2021 4:53 PM

[quote] Me and a friend trekked to Hollywood

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2021 5:09 PM

R76 i live an hour away lol...but Ronni sounds fun

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2021 5:31 PM

[55] I’ll make sure to save up a big bladder of piss to release on their graves.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2021 5:35 PM

We were staying with Austrian friends in Linz and they actually took us to see Hitler's parents' grave in a nearby village! I was just a kid. I understand it has been taken down now.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2021 5:58 PM

[quote] I understand it has been taken down now.

What do you mean, taken down? Like it’s a Broadway marquee or something?

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2021 6:12 PM

I have been to many around the world, but none excited me more than the Cemetery in Sleepy Hollow, NY - it's filled with Rockefellers, Andrew Carnegie and more - but no "grave" is more ostentatious than the mausoleum of the Queen of Mean - Miss Leona Helmsley (she was a DLer at heart!). She intended for her dog Trouble to join her, but alas, the law would not allow it (nor did they allow her to skip paying that tax bill!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2021 6:20 PM

R84 - yes, it was removed from the cemetery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2021 6:26 PM

I saw the graves of Jeanne Moreau and Truffaut - buried next to each other in Montmartre Cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2021 6:30 PM

My parents are interred at Inglewood Cemetery and there are a lot of celebs. In their immediate area are Cesar Romero (cremated) and Ray Charles. Ray always has balloons and cards and people are always leaving pennies. Close by are Etta James and Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son. I think LaWanda's says "Watch it sucker".

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2021 6:33 PM

Jesse Helms, Elizabeth Edwards, and Jim Valvano are buried in the same cemetery as my father and other relatives (inc. one set of 3x great grandparents) so I have been by their graves. One interesting tidbit is Helms is buried close to the office. I have wondered at times if this was on purpose since he was such a controversial figure when alive. If any of you are ever in Raleigh, Oakwood Cemetery is a fascinating place to visit.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2021 6:36 PM

I’ve been to Pere LaChaise. Didn’t leave anything, but a great atmospheric experience. The dead can be very compelling.

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2021 6:39 PM

John Chapman aka Johnny Appleseed in Ft. Wayne, IN

William Sydney Porter aka O. Henry in Asheville, NC

Elvis Presley in Memphis , TN

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2021 6:49 PM

Where is Carol Channing's grave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2021 6:51 PM

Did your mothers not teach you to always bring a gift when you visit?

by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2021 7:00 PM

I can't believe they moved the grave of mein Fuhrer's parents!

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2021 7:13 PM

I had a long layover in LAX (ah what I wouldn't give to have that problem now!) and took an Uber to the Jewish cemetery a few miles away. I think it's called Hillside. I visited a bunch of graves like Michael Landon, Shelley Winters, Suzanne Pleshette, Aaron Spelling. I didn't leave anything.

by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2021 7:21 PM

R5 I saw a clip of Frank's daughter Tina on Larry King's show around the time of his death and she was really angry about him being buried in PS. Larry asked if she'd be buried there and she shot back most certainly not, she'd be cremated and neither would her mother or her siblings. I'm going to assume the kids are still pissed about this and don't maintain the grave.

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2021 7:23 PM

JonBenet Ramsey. And as a free bonus, Mrs. Patsy Ramsey (formerly of Boulder, Colo.). I went along with a friend, a photographer, who was making portraits of his dog at the grave-sites of famous Atlantans. It was mildly disappointing, as far as encounters with celebrities go.

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2021 7:24 PM

R96 with the insider knowledge!

I love DL.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2021 7:27 PM

I can't believe cunt Leona Helmsley is winning this thread so far. Life and death are not fair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2021 7:35 PM

I left a poppy for Karl Marx and Jenny at Highgate Cemetery and some supermarket rosemary for W.B. Yeats at Sligo.

by Anonymousreply 100February 5, 2021 2:25 PM

Gregg Allman, Duane and Berry Oaky in Macon. I put smalls stones on their sites...Duane and Berry are buried together in a fenced area.When I visited, GA site was still unmarked

by Anonymousreply 101February 5, 2021 2:31 PM

F. Scott Fitzgerald. He's buried in a tiny cemetery nearby an Asian supermarket in Maryland. I stumbled upon the info and realized I passed the cemetery by bike or train on my shopping runs--so I stopped by one day. Zelda is buried there too.

I was surprised by the location because he's so famously linked to the midwest by birth and didn't associate him with Maryland. Turns out his family had roots in Maryland and when his parents died, they opted to be buried in the family plot. There is a small grouping of Fitzgerald tombs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 5, 2021 2:47 PM

One that I’ve been in the vicinity of, but never seen first hand is that of Montgomery Cliff. It is located inside a small private Quaker cemetery in the heart of Prospect Park in Brooklyn. It is next to impossible to get access to the inside of the cemetery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 5, 2021 3:10 PM

I talked about the fire that destroyed Jack London’s mansion in the lost mansion thread, but didn’t mention that he and his wife are buried nearby. There are three houses there, ruins of the mansion that burned to the ground before they moved in, the house they built as an alternative to it on a smaller scale and a lovely cottage where he actually did write quite a few things. Beside his burial there is also that of an early pioneering family who first came to that area of Sonoma.

by Anonymousreply 104February 5, 2021 3:14 PM

So many in Paris. The ones I stumbled across without looking left more of an impression. dalida’s is pretty interesting in montmartre. Also around Paris, Jeanne Moreau, Truffaut, jean Seberg, henri Georges cluzot, delphine seyrig and many more.

by Anonymousreply 105February 5, 2021 3:24 PM

Lenin's Tomb, Red Square - Moscow. He looked like wax, heavily guarded. Stalin is in the wall.

by Anonymousreply 106February 5, 2021 5:25 PM

I visited Hollywood Forever a few years back. Don't really remember which celebrity graves I saw; I was too distracted by the tacky holographic graves of Russian families.

by Anonymousreply 107February 5, 2021 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!