Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It’s over - are you emotional?

Just watching CNN Anderson is emotional tonight. He was kind of teary with Ken Burns and that old wig lady just now.

I think everyone is emotional tonight. It’s over. Finally in so many ways it’s over.

Are you emotional? What are your feelings tonight? I feel happy tears. I would be surprised if I’m not crying tomorrow when Joe takes the oath. What a relief. There’s so much trouble ahead but still what a relief.

by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2021 10:57 PM

Watching Anderson Cooper and Ken Burns sounds like being trapped in an outer circle of hell.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2021 12:57 AM

It's not over until tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2021 12:58 AM

We still have 15 hours OP, don't jinx us.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2021 12:59 AM

I feel a little numb. My dad died a few days before Trump’s inauguration and my brother and I were having lunch at a sandwich shop that had the inauguration playing on tv. I remember looking at my brother and saying “this week really REALLY sucks.”

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote] He was kind of teary with Ken Burns and that old wig lady just now.

Her name is Doris Kearns Goodwin, assface!

Miss Goodwin, if you're nasty.

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2021 1:02 AM

I’m just hoping he goes without any further incident but it seems like a lot to expect knowing him.

I think this last four years has been very traumatic for most Americans, especially the last year. I’ll be very relieved when it’s over, and expect I will be emotional tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2021 1:10 AM

I won't feel like it's over until Joe and Kamala are safely sworn in tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2021 1:17 AM

I think old wig lady is sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2021 1:18 AM

I get so emotional, baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2021 1:20 AM

Don't get ahead of yourself, all his enemies will be in one place tomorrow, including the Republicans he considers traitors. I think he has one final trick up his sleeve.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2021 1:25 AM

Nah, r10, he’s done. He’s lost all of his DC support except for bottom of the barrel Repugs like Ted Cruz. And I bet Ted is regretting his recent choices too.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2021 1:42 AM

Yeah, it’s not over yet. He’s giving a speech tomorrow morning. God knows what he’ll say or try to rile up.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2021 1:50 AM

The COVID memorial tribute made me tastefully sob. But, overall I’m really pissed at the terrible state of this country.

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2021 1:51 AM

When/where is he speaking?

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2021 1:52 AM

R11 Yes I'm emotional today. I was driving to the CVS earlier and I started getting weepy. I had to do an assessment, like, why am I crying right now? And I realized, I am so done with Trump!!! I'm relieved but still kinda worried, but starting to relax and trust again, but still am concerned, but feeling grateful, but I feel like I've been through through the wringer, but I feel hopeful...and...and.....etc etc etc etc Yeah, there was a lot going on inside.

I'm also realizing how very hurt I feel by the myriad ways so many of our leaders across the board abandoned us the past four years. So many spineless enablers allowed this all to happen to us, culminating in that coup on the 6th. And so some of these tears are not happy, relieved tears. Trump's presidency was a colossal, endless betrayal...and it's been very hurtful and damaging for all of us who are sane to have been forced to endure the last four years.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2021 1:53 AM

I ❤️ Doris Kearns Goodwin.

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2021 1:54 AM

Yes, who doesn't love Doris Kearns Goodwin . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2021 1:58 AM

Ken Burns IS the old wig lady...

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2021 2:16 AM

Trump will go, but it's not over. We have a lot of work to do. This was instigated by forces that are still out there. Trump must still be on retainer.

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2021 3:00 AM

R1 yup, eternal damnation

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote] Just watching CNN Anderson is emotional tonight. He was kind of teary with Ken Burns and that old wig lady just now.

Yes, there were a couple of times that I thought Anderson was going to start crying and they were going to have to go to commercial.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2021 4:55 AM

You Mary’s need to up your Prozac dose and get it together . The best way to support Joe is to make sure he has smooth sailing the next four years . That means recruiting smart Democrats who can take over your town councils and state houses and governor’s mansion. You have to run great people for House and Senate seats and pour enough money in to get a stronger majority in both houses of Congress . And finally you need to get off your asses and vote and get all of your friends and family to vote too . Guess what , that’s what the GOP is already plotting for the mid term elections.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2021 5:03 AM

Yes, I am emotional about it. I loved the ceremony at the National Mall today in honor of lives lost to Covid. The women who sang were fabulous. Two of my favorite songs. Amazing Grace and Hallelujah.

A covid nurse sings Amazing Grace at 5:40 Yolanda Adams sings Hallelujah at 9:43

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2021 5:08 AM

Oops, put the link in the wrong place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2021 5:09 AM

The nurse begins singing at about 6:12, she spoke first.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2021 5:10 AM

No, not emotional yet.

I'm glad they made some arrests of the Capitol domestic terrorists. I hope the arrests will deter people from trying anything at the inaugurations. I hope law enforcement officers take their jobs seriously this time.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2021 5:14 AM

R5, I assumed the old wig lady WAS Ken Burns.

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2021 5:15 AM

[quote]Yes, there were a couple of times that I thought Anderson was going to start crying and they were going to have to go to commercial.

I always find it interesting when this happens. News reporters/anchors are supposed to be these staid, neutral types who do not show any emotion or reaction to the news they're reporting but sometimes, it just gets to them and they can't stop it from coming out. Two such examples that come to mind:

(1) The female reporter who was interviewing a man during Hurricane Katrina whose wife had just been swept away by the wind and water. By the time she happened upon him he had been walking around in a daze and when she stopped him and put a microphone in his face, he talked about his wife being taken from him by the storm. After he walked away, the reporter turned back to the camera and tried to speak normally but her feelings came to the surface and she got emotional.

(2) A black reporter for ABC News on the night of Barack Obama's election in 2008. He started crying on air, saying he never thought he'd see a black man elected to President of the United States in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2021 5:23 AM

I think it's normal for a reporter to get choked up, esp. when reporting live. But reporters now are taking things way too far, crying (Don Lemon) and making the story about themselves instead of the subjects. It's like when Jimmy Fallon needs attention and just absolutely has to break character and make the scene about himself.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2021 5:26 AM

Trump was horrific to the press. Imagine being called fake fraud hoaxes for 5 years. He convinced his disciples to never read or trust the media- and they obeyed.

When I was watching that tsunami of Deplorables flowing from his speech to the Capitol building that day, many were glaring at the cameras and cussing and spitting. They only trust Trump.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2021 5:40 AM

The news channels all made tons of money while Trump was president.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2021 5:44 AM

[quote] You Mary’s need to up your Prozac dose and get it together . The best way to support Joe is to make sure he has smooth sailing the next four years . That means recruiting smart Democrats who can take over your town councils and state houses and governor’s mansion. You have to run great people for House and Senate seats and pour enough money in to get a stronger majority in both houses of Congress . And finally you need to get off your asses and vote and get all of your friends and family to vote too . Guess what , that’s what the GOP is already plotting for the mid term elections.

I will never understand you emotional fascist, R22s. If you don't personally ever get choked up from emotion, then that's a cool story, bro. It's not relevant to others. This whole "up your Prozac, Marys!" judgey bullshit is meaningless to anyone but you. Thank you, however, for the comedy.

I guess I had better stop typing now, though, and get ready to hit the pavement manana to begin this task you've assigned me to "recruit" and "run" people for the House and Senate" with my fellow Marys. Because after we're done doing that, you are reminding me that then "we" (the Marys) "have to pour enough money in to get a stronger majority in both houses of Congress." And I agree with you, R22. That's all on us. The recruiting. The money-pouring. The election-running. (And let's face it, we can run election if our mascara is running, too!)

Oh, and of course, we Marys mustn't forget, in all of our pathetic capacity for emotional depth, to "get off [y]our asses and vot-- ." Oh wait - WE ALREADY VOTED! We voted so good, so alpha, so damn STOICALLY, that we voted Trump right out a job. And now, m'lord, we are FEELING OUR FUCKING FEELINGS ABOUT IT.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2021 6:04 AM

Will Biden’s granddaughters get Secret Service protection? I’m afraid some of those Trump crazies might try to snatch them.

His granddaughter Naomi has vocal fry to the max.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2021 6:17 AM

What R7 and R19 said. When Twitter permanently deleted his account, I felt happy he was muted but until I know Biden and Harris are really safe, I will feel content.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2021 6:28 AM

Yes. I feel that it's virtually a miracle not only that Joe won, but that the Democrats also won the Senate (with Kamala).

The daily insanity, cruelty, bigotry, lies, incompetence, and Fascism ARE OVER.

OMG. HALLELUJAH.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2021 6:35 AM

The past four years I would get fahklempt any time I heard Stevie Wonder on the radio because he reminded me of the Obamas. Sometimes I would start to cry thinking of what was. So glad these past 4 years are over.

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2021 6:35 AM

R15 You hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2021 7:07 AM

I'm so damn tired, drained and exhausted. The last 4 years - and in particular the last year - has seemed like it has lasted decades.

Before November 3rd, I was worried that Dump might have won the election and then the shitfest afterwards has been a travesty even though I knew it wouldn't work. I've been reticent to feel some hope for the future because everything has been so bleak for so long and I am looking forward to feeling hope and calmness tomorrow after President Biden is inaugurated and it is all real. I cried today when Biden cried about his son giving his farewell speech in Delaware. That was sad. So yes I'm emotional.

I don't think we'll see anything else or any trouble from Dump now. Maybe some boring lies given during a last speech about the "stolen election" tomorrow but he's been deserted by his party, banned from Twitter and effectively neutered for now.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2021 7:09 AM

[quote]I'm also realizing how very hurt I feel by the myriad ways so many of our leaders across the board abandoned us the past four years. So many spineless enablers allowed this all to happen to us, culminating in that coup on the 6th. And so some of these tears are not happy, relieved tears. Trump's presidency was a colossal, endless betrayal...and it's been very hurtful and damaging for all of us who are sane to have been forced to endure the last four years.

Wholeheartedly agree with this from R15. I'm not hurt - I'm really angry about the betrayals and relentless lies and mistruths which have been supported by so many of our political leaders and has created so much lasting trouble in America. It's going to take a generation to fix this - if we even can.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2021 7:12 AM

I've always followed politics - habit from the study of current events my high school imposed. The Trump years exhausted me to the point that all I want is a 'no drama' Presidency. Just get the work done, control McConnell, and meet new threats before they become crises.

Emotional state: relief from tension. Although I wouldn't be surprised by 'one last outrage for the road' tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2021 7:18 AM

He's losing power fast. Soon it will just be him and a few leftover psycho diehards tweeting to each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2021 7:27 AM

Nonsense! We only have 2 years to get all of Dump undone. It's not looking good so far since Biden/ Shumer are already kissing up to McConnell (of all people!). I've give up already! Weak ass Dems are all wrong-footed. The best thing that can happen now is if Biden goes on saying nice, positive, healing RHETORIC and leave taking out the trash to others.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 7:30 AM

I’m still expecting something cataclysmic.

It won’t even be intentional - just a string of fuckups that escalates through the “that’s not my job” dweebishness that informs this administration.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 7:45 AM

Tomorrow you mean R43?

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2021 7:53 AM

I am a few weeks from being 62, and have lived in the United States all my life. I have never felt this unease about everything. The fuckery of this administration has worn down my resistance to negative thinking to the point that a week ago I was convinced the cancer I survived 10 years ago was back. I know that ideation to be borne of pure paranoia. But my mental ability to absorb what has happened is on overload. I know that I eventually will return to normal, and I just remember that this bullshit is exactly that. I cannot express my loathing and hatred for Donald Trump and what he has done.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2021 7:59 AM

Actually, we've only just begun.

As has been said up-thread, that whilst the Senate, House and Presidency has been won, now, more than ever, every school board, every city councilman, every minor town and city official, right through to state representative elections, needs to be fought tooth and nail by the Dems, because the Republicans will use every lever to pull, to disenfranchise dem voters. They will redistrict to their own advantage. They will create laws and rules to silence any Dems with any power.

Why? Because they are pissed they lost and will do anything to turn the tide of change which is being driven by social change in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 20, 2021 8:07 AM

The House

The Senate

The Presidency

BAM !

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2021 8:15 AM

R33, Which one of those snatches is allegedly on the sex tape with Uncle Hunter?

by Anonymousreply 48January 20, 2021 8:27 AM

It just showed up in my account. Hallelujah!

by Anonymousreply 49January 20, 2021 8:30 AM

Out with a whimper. He can ride right back up that gold escalator with Melontits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 20, 2021 8:58 AM

It's always been the same with Trump. Trying to attract more ratings than the other guy, to feed his insecurity and narcissism.

Even on the last day, he couldn't share the limelight. He's not gonna readjust to life out of it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 20, 2021 9:20 AM

I remember being in the gym & watching the Obamas leave & crying - really crying - at the sight of them flying away. It felt like the country had been turned over to a madman, which unfortunately, turned out to be too true.

Now that it's finally over, I hope to have good cry while watching that miserable fucker crawl away like the cockroach he is. While I hope very much for healing & reconciliation in this country (good lord, if Rwanda can get past their issues, so can we), but this administration exposed things about people we know - their casual attitude about cruelty towards others, bigotry, "I don't give fuck so long as I've got mine" attitude that you just can't "un see."

I grew up around a lot of fundamentalist religious types and I can no longer see them as anything except for hateful hypocrites. There are people I no longer speak to now as a result of this administration's policies and I feel kind of sad about that.

by Anonymousreply 52January 20, 2021 9:38 AM

Trump’s not going away. His narcissistic personality won’t let him. He’ll troll Biden and still hold Klan rallies. He craves the hillbilly adoration.

He needs jail time.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2021 10:25 AM

[quote] When I was watching that tsunami of Deplorables flowing

To be fair though, wouldn’t take but like 5 of those fatasses to make a tsunami.

by Anonymousreply 54January 20, 2021 11:10 AM

[quote] He’ll troll Biden and still hold Klan rallies. He craves the hillbilly adoration.

Fine with me. As long as we don’t hear about it (no media coverage, no twitter) I really don’t give a shit if he wants to hold superspreader events in DeathSantis’s anti-science state.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2021 11:12 AM

Trump was a symptom, not the disease, and even if he's gone his followers and the QAnon types aren't.

Some of this stuff goes in waves; you'll all probably remember Prancing Ponies and Snapewives and other less harmful conspiracists, who in a lot of ways resemble the QAnoners. They disappeared all of a sudden when their fantasy movie franchise supply was cut off, so we can expect a lot of the Trumpster nonsense will also disappear, too.

The Boogaloo Bois, Proud Boys and their offshoots won't disappear. That's a problem.

COVID is still here. That's also a problem. The economy is in a shambles, and that's a problem, too.

The obstructionist GOP who cater to Trump types and humor them until it gets to the point of a coup attempt are still here.

No, I'm not emotional.

by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2021 11:16 AM

[quote] you'll all probably remember Prancing Ponies

How could we forget?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2021 11:21 AM

Trump is going to set up a "shadow" Presidency, wherein everything Biden or Kamala says or does will be greeted with some sort of rancorous bloviating and calls to action from Trump. He'll be sure to keep his toadies all fired up. We can only hope most of the press ignores him.

by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2021 11:32 AM

How though?

He has no Twitter, Facebook, or any social media platform for them to follow.

The media will not be interested as he’s just a regular citizen.

by Anonymousreply 59January 20, 2021 12:00 PM

I did when I saw this photo last night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 20, 2021 12:07 PM

What is he doing in there???

by Anonymousreply 61January 20, 2021 12:11 PM

The Bidens get bullet proof glass but not the Harris-Emhoffs?

by Anonymousreply 62January 20, 2021 12:11 PM

Two weeks ago today his winged monkeys stormed the capitol. A year ago today the first coronavirus case was reported in the country.

by Anonymousreply 63January 20, 2021 12:21 PM

Get bent R31. Deplorables love to use money as a way to excuse Trump’s evil, even (or sometimes especially) if they’re not the ones who even made said money.

I made money during Trump’s Presidency, anyone with investments in the stock market or even a 401k did. But for me, and many others, it doesn’t begins to make up for the vile impact he had on the nation and the world. Good riddance to him, and to the reptiles who mindlessly support him, time to crawl back under the rocks from which you came.

by Anonymousreply 64January 20, 2021 12:30 PM

I think R56 is completely right - Dump is the *symptom* of what's been simmering below the surface, not the actual problem. But I'll still be glad to be rid of the ugly, miserable fucker. I also think his removal from social media defanged him (though not entirely)

by Anonymousreply 65January 20, 2021 12:33 PM

I bawled like a baby at the ceremony yesterday, just lost my shit when she sang Hallelujah. HALLELUJAH indeed.

How will Joe fix all this? Can it be done? He’s going to try. And I voted and was very active and gave a shit ton of money and got people to turn blue. But the poster above is right. The GOP are already looking to swarm us at the next battle. So this isn’t over *at all*. But you should all be able to sleep at night and know we aren’t being nuked in our beds or going to drop bombs on Canada. I truly hope that this experience has inspired you to commit to being fully engaged in democracy. Now that COVID is done, I’m hoping to do door-to-door canvassing next election cycle, door-to-door WORKS, ask Stacy. GOP will target state and locals as well as of course Congress. Be ready — they are going to pull out everything they’ve got.

The most interesting part to me is watching McConnell and how he’s going to deal with this trial, and Cruz and Hawley. Keep the pressure HIGH, call your Congresspersons and demand that they fight to get him convicted. If he’s able to run again, our country is absolutely done. I think even the Turtle knows this. Excise the cancer in government, every single last one must be removed.

by Anonymousreply 66January 20, 2021 12:38 PM

[quote]How will Joe fix all this? Can it be done?

Saw someone on Twitter talk about an old friend who had gone completely QAnon looney and was insisting DC would run red with the blood of the nonbelievers, and she ended her Twitter thread asking, "How can Biden fix this?" and I thought... you know, it's not his job to fix your friend's mental illness.

He can help by increasing social services, giving people financial support and health insurance, upping the overall quality of life, but the truth is that it's these individuals' families, friends, coworkers, and healthcare professionals who needed to be stepping in here and there, and law enforcement when it got to that point. It was the responsibility of social media to stop promoting the radicalization of people just because they got more clicks and ad dollars from it. It was the responsibility of the regular media to tell us what was going on, rather than trying to legitimize Trump or spread his propaganda in exchange for access.

Biden can't fix much of that, and it's not realistic to expect him to.

by Anonymousreply 67January 20, 2021 1:17 PM

That send off was pathetic with a small crowd and walking off to YMCA

by Anonymousreply 68January 20, 2021 3:21 PM

R68 Wait, is that really what happened, or are you making leetle joke??? Because if he actually invoked YMCA this morning....THAT IS NEXT-LEVEL HILARIOUS

by Anonymousreply 69January 20, 2021 5:35 PM

Yeah, R69 it really happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 20, 2021 10:12 PM

Why is that bitch Anderson always crying or on the verge of crying? It's unprofessional, tacky and vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 71January 20, 2021 10:15 PM

All this shit from the media is performative nonsense right now.

I can't believe anyone with half a brain still watches cable news. It's so dumbed down and mostly filled with personalities who want to be celebrities first and journalists second. All the cable news networks enabled the prospect of a Trump presidency and coddled him when it was convenient for ratings. Now that the tide's turned, they play like none of it happened. Thus, the fake tears and and all of that other bullshit.

Meanwhile, a week from now, they'll be broadcasting stories about how Biden needs to step up with dealing with COVID and what the democrats need to do to unite the country.

Stop being sheep.

by Anonymousreply 72January 20, 2021 10:20 PM

Well, R70 , now that I think about it....if there were ever going to be an actual appropriate time for Trump to invoke the anthem that is YMCA, I suppose it was this morning:

Young man there's no need to feel down I said young man pick yourself off the ground I said young man 'cause you're in a new town There's no need to be unhappy

Young man there's a place you can go I said young man when you're short on your dough You can stay there and I'm sure you will find Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.

by Anonymousreply 73January 20, 2021 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!