Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kamala Harris's iconic style inspires women to wear Converse and pearls on Inauguration Day

On Election Day in 2016, women across the United States wore white to the polls as a tribute to the suffragettes and their fight for equality. Born through a hashtag, #WearWhiteToVote went viral, with people using fashion to honor the first woman to represent a major party in a United States presidential election.

Four years after Hillary Clinton’s loss, women are using clothing again thanks to a social media call to action, this time to commemorate Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on Inauguration Day by mimicking her iconic style: Converse sneakers and pearls.

Dozens of Facebook pages have popped up dedicated to celebrating Harris, who is the first woman vice president-elect as well as the first Black woman and the first South Asian woman vice president-elect. One such group, Chucks and Pearls Day, January 20, 2021 was founded by Texans Jeanette DeVaughn along with Marilyn Toliver and Sharon Whetstone in December and now has more than 70,000 members.

“Women have a voice and we embrace the opportunity to work together for progress,” Toliver tells Yahoo Life on the trio’s inspiration for creating the community. “Vice President-elect Kamala Harris represents an amazing step in American history and diversity and inclusion. She's the first woman to be elected as Vice President. And she's the first woman of color in this vital role. And her signature campaign style was a suit accessorized with a string of pearls and her cool Converse All-Stars aka ‘Chucks.’ When she'd get off of the plane in that look, you could see that she was down to earth, comfortable in her style and confident in her brilliance.”

Harris has been a fan of Converse for years, even wearing them on the cover of Vogue magazine. As she told The Cut in 2018, "I have a whole collection of Chuck Taylors: a black leather pair, a white pair, I have the kind that don’t lace, the kind that do lace, the kind I wear in the hot weather, the kind I wear in the cold weather, and the platform kind for when I’m wearing a pantsuit."

And while the shoe preference is more a comfort choice, pearls have a deeper meaning, seemingly worn as an homage to sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha, one of the nation's oldest Black sororities. Founded in 1908 at Howard University, Harris’s alma mater, AKA calls its founders and incorporators the “twenty pearls,” with the object today representing sisterhood to its members.

In addition to paying homage to Harris’ style, the group has encouraged its members to use their creativity by decorating a pair of Chucks and sharing pictures of their designs. Countless women have posted photos of their shoes, which they accessorized with a string of pearls, including Sharael Miller of Georgia. Miller tells Yahoo Life that it was not easy to come up with her embellished look, which she decked out in white pearls that she says represent “hard work and accomplishments recognized.”

“It took me a couple of days to figure out what I wanted. I designed my Chucks according to my own style. Classic and stylish. Wearing Pearls and kicking doors down. Ready for the journey!” she explains.

Other examples feature empowering quotes, ribbon laces, encrusted diamonds and more flair and flash.

Toliver admits that she and the group’s other co-founders are in awe of the response the group has gotten.

“To think that we formed this community almost a month ago and we are now 71,000 strong? Amazing. We also love the sense of community and bonding that is organically emerging. We're culturally diverse and we have moms who are posting pics of their kiddos wearing Chucks. So we're seeing our movement reach multicultural and multi-generational audiences,” she adds.

Beyond Wednesday’s inauguration, Toliver hopes to cultivate the community for good, continue to promote creativity and inspire women to go after their dreams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2022 9:06 AM

Converse shoes are manufactured in factories in Indonesia, China, Taiwan, India, Thailand, Pakistan, Vietnam, and Malaysia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] Kamala Harris's iconic…

You have to do something before people will worshipping you as an icon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2021 12:24 AM

I saw her on CBS Sunday morning, she’s so normal. Btw, does anyone own clothes that the majority aren’t made somewhere else? Although to be fair, it was always pointed out that the Trump brand was an import. But Kamala is not promoting any clothes as her own for profit.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2021 12:35 AM

Will any men have the nerve to wear pearls with their Converses tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2021 1:05 AM

Lez be honest...

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2021 1:11 AM

R5 she wouldn’t be the lone closeted homo around.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2021 1:18 AM

I think that I will sit on my couch and watch the Inauguration with my pearls on, and a glass of champagne in hand.

by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2021 1:19 AM

I love her style. She’s mid-50s and looks good in a normal, natural way. I’m not saying she is natural, I’m sure she’s had some injections and laser treatments but she hits the sweet spot - not looking like she’s desperate to look young and giving up and looking mumsy.

by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2021 1:25 AM

Kamala is probably the best looking Vice-President we've ever had in U.S. history! Lol.

No kidding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2021 1:31 AM

I made curtain tiebacks by stringing (fake) pearls with a chandelier crystal in the middle of each string. I suppose that I could take one down and wear it along with a pair of Chucks. I have several pair, and I like to wear them mismatched - pink on one foot, navy on the other for example. I try to stick with high top with high top and low top with low top - I'm not 20 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2021 1:31 AM

R9 Obama says the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2021 1:41 AM

My final girlfriend was an AKA who I awkwardly went out with for a couple months during sophomore year of college. Crazy times 😅

They do wear pearls quite frequently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2021 1:41 AM

^ Your final girlfriend was an 'Also Known As'?

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2021 1:46 AM

I think by AKA they mean "alpha kappa alpha", a nationwide sorority for African-American girls and former girls.

I understand it's quite the adult social organization in some areas.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2021 2:01 AM

Let's face it Kamala dresses like a lesbian. She pings to the moon and back and I'm a guy.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2021 2:57 AM

R15, do gay guys get the ping on lesbians? Or do straight guys have ping ability?

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2021 4:38 AM

Seriously, R15?

She doesn't set off my gaydar at all.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2021 4:39 AM

My conspiracy theory is that Joe tapped her for his VP long before her "That little girl was me" speech- at the recommendations of his son Beau and Barack Obama. And she ran for POTUS only to get some face recognition for her future position.

I think Biden is a very shrewd politician. I mean look... he's the President now.

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2021 4:49 AM

R15.here. I'm gay. I have a lesbian sister and Kamala would fit right in her group of friends.

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2021 4:49 AM

R10, Christ almighty, why would you admit to making something so tacky?

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2021 5:18 AM

Kamala doesn't ping as gay. But Converse Chuck Taylors are THE lesbian uniform of shoes. Ellen even has them in the logo at the end of her show. If you want to know if a woman is gay, check her feet (and her fingernails).

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2021 5:21 AM

Seriously, is this going to make pearls come back as an everyday fashion accessory?

I wouldn't mind seeing pearls everywhere, pearls always look nice.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2021 7:15 PM

Iconic style? Jackie had iconic style. I don’t consider pantsuits and sneakers iconic unless you’re Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2021 7:30 PM

I see women wearing sneakers and pearls all over the place!

So cool.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2021 7:51 PM

I wear pearls with my caftan.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2021 8:09 PM

R21 Doesn't Ellen wear Hush Puppies? She used to have a line with them. Did she switch?

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote] Kamala Harris's Great-Nieces Recreated One of Her Outfits on Inauguration Day

Vice President Kamala Harris's two great-nieces, Amara and Leela Ajagu, are already budding style stars.

The daughters of Harris's niece, author and entrepreneur Meena Harris, wore matching faux-fur leopard-print coats, custom made by the female-founded childrenswear start-up iloveplum. The precious coats, according to Meena, were a sartorial ode to their great-aunt, who just made history as the nation's first woman vice president, as well as the highest Black and South Asian woman to ever hold public office in the United States. The pint-sized outerwear was also stitched and sewn in Oakland, California, the vice president's hometown.

"Special coats to look just like Auntie's," Meena shared on Twitter earlier today, alongside a throwback family photo featuring a young Kamala; Meena's mother, Maya Harris; and her grandmother, Shyamala Gopalan.

Per the brand, the style, which will aptly be named the Kamala, will soon be available to shop.

Meena has shared sneak peeks into her family's excitement leading up to today's inauguration, including an adorable snap of her two girls cozying up in matching white puffer coats, salmon-colored dresses, and chic Doc Marten boots.

"They're screaming 'INAUGURAAAATIONNNNN'," Harris captioned the mother-daughters snap.

In another image shared to social media, Harris poses alongside her mother in front of the Capitol, taking in their emotions regarding not just the history they had just witnessed, but a monumental moment for themselves as a family.

"WE IN HERE AMERICA," Harris wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2021 12:15 AM

Adorable!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2021 12:17 AM

DL is going to have a fit. “Ladies wear dresses! This is trans propaganda!”

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2021 12:23 AM

I want to see Kamala wear this to tonight's festivities... lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2021 12:27 AM

She dresses as a professional, accomplished woman who actually works long hours. Heels are not good for women.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2021 12:38 AM

How in the hell did Meena get this video of Ossoff and Warnock?

Pretty cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2021 12:40 AM

Meena's "life partner" is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2021 12:40 AM

ZADDY!

I'll bet the boyfriend has a huge cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2021 1:04 AM

Meena's stepfather is even hotter IMO

Kamala doesn't ping for me. During the campaign I watched several Instagram Live streams with her where she was unrehearsed and as close to her true self as you can get and nothing about her made me question her sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2021 6:22 AM

Posted this in another thread but why is Kamala so estranged from her father? He’s a distinguished economist alive and well. But can’t come to the inauguration?

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2021 6:29 AM

R36 She hasn't said any specific but her sister and niece never mention him either so there was clearly a nasty fall out in the family. He wrote an op-ed calling her out over a silly comment about being pro weed because she was half Jamaican. It's a pity, even the shittiest dad would have to be beaming with pride to see his girl who looks just like him and carries his name get sworn in.

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2021 6:35 AM

What’s big deal about Pearl necklace? I wear double one from step sons every Wednesday around 1pm. The Donald give me two stud Pearl earrings every six months- old asshole.

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2021 6:37 AM

Papa Harris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2021 6:42 AM

Joe swearing Kamala into the Senate. Her full family at the end including relatives from India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2021 6:45 AM

I think it's great. Heels must hurt, and they damage feet. Converse are cute, functional, and she's still dressed professionally.

More pearls! Bring back pearls!

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2021 6:45 AM

I'm a Millennial and I still wear Converse. You might say I'm too old, but honestly... no other shoe is as comofrtable as a Converse. Sorry but for me comfort trumps style every time.

by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2021 6:45 AM

I love how converse shoes look but they killed my feet and didn’t have much support. Have they gotten any better?

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2021 6:49 AM

Her style is SO refreshing after four years of Republican Barbie women! Every single one of them starves herself to a fashionable size, dyes and processes her hair into a helmet, wears makeup and heels, and they all look uncomfortable and they all look the same.

Kamala has better things to do with her time that turn herself into a Barbie doll, and ain't got time for feet that hurt!

Of course she always looks good, but she looks like herself, not someone else's idea of a perfect woman.

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2021 9:04 AM

My favorite thing that I heard about the fashion was that Barbara Lee was wearing a string of pearls that belonged the Shirley Chisholm. Although Chisholm was a sister in a different Divine Nine sorority, Delta Sigma Theta.

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2021 10:17 AM

Why is she dressing like a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2021 10:29 AM

R10 MARY!

by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2021 10:30 AM

Les baskets ne doivent pas être des vêtements de travail dans la branche exécutive américaine. Mon Dieu.

by Anonymousreply 48January 22, 2021 10:34 AM

Is there a politician that DL think does not dress like a dyke. I'm blanking on what people think she should be wearing? I guess Pelosi is a more feminine dresser but she also has a different body type, personality and vibe. I read that Nancy eats a Dove bar with a knife and fork! If Kamala started wearing very fitted and colorful dresses to work ala Nancy I feel she'd be criticized of being too 'sexual' and focused on fashion.

by Anonymousreply 49January 22, 2021 12:19 PM

I don’t like Kamala. She has said some divisive shit over the years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled the orange blob is out of office, I just don’t love her. Promising to help black people own homes and nobody else who is struggling was something that disappointed me. I work hard and still can’t afford a house. Color shouldn’t have anything to do with helping people who bust their asses to qualify.

by Anonymousreply 50January 22, 2021 1:08 PM

it doesn't matter if you "love " her or not. it's not about you

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2021 1:19 PM

R50 She has never said she won't help anyone else. She came and spoke at our union meetings long before the presidential run and she was always supportive of all low income workers. It's a Right wing scare tactic to suggest that when someone says they will do something for minority group X that they will ignore everyone else and then we will be left looking on as the minorities fly past in a BMW on their way to a McMansion. The problem then is when everyone is scared nothing gets done and we all end up still down in the shits while the rich get richer. It's a winning tactic from them but it's never the full story. You don't have to 'love' her, I hope nobody 'loves' a politician ever again because it's a bad dynamic of love and rejection when they are hampered by the dirty business of politics once elected but don't buy into the lie that raising up one group will be mean you get left behind. It will make you bitter and angry when none of us are being lifted anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2021 1:23 PM

Now all she needs is a pair of Biden aviator sunglasses and she’s all set.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2021 1:30 PM

R18 I don't think it's a conspiracy. This is how it all went down. like R11 says of Obama back in the day. She was being groomed since then for the presidency by the Obama- Biden Admin.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2021 4:55 AM

Wierdly, "The Simpsons" predicted Kamala's inauguration outfit years and years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2021 2:46 AM

Her knee pads must still have been at the cleaners’.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2021 2:50 AM

I think it's pushing it a bit far to claim that Kamala has iconic style.

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2021 12:40 AM

Oh Pretty Things

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2022 9:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!