Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"They're Playing Our Song" Thread #2: Shh, shh, shh. Don't say a word.

Just to piss off everyone who hate that we keep talking about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434October 23, 2023 11:10 AM

I love that logo. Not ashamed to write that....

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2021 3:29 PM

Same here. It's got the totally right personality. Kind of the graphic counterpart to this classic at exactly the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2021 3:41 PM

Here you go..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2021 3:45 PM

Lucie said in an interview during the run that she and Klein have different styles of working. She plays to the other actor while he plays to the audience. Ouch! Hence the friction.

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2021 3:46 PM

Was there much friction between them? They seem so pals-y now doing reunions etc.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2021 3:50 PM

That logo looks cheap. Just like the show.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2021 3:55 PM

They had a weird relationship. They worked very well together but Klein was unhappy doing the same thing over and over again and it affected their relationship. However he showed up at her final performance and they’ve been good ever since.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2021 3:59 PM

"Neil Simon has a new hit. Go see it" at OP is the epitome of "damning with faint praise."

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2021 4:12 PM

Does anyone know where the car ended up after they closed? And what's with the Tiny pianos curtain call?

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2021 4:26 PM

I saw the show, it was fine, but I’m astounded by the life of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2021 4:27 PM

[quote] She plays to the other actor while he plays to the audience.

Boy, if that's not the pot talking to the kettle.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2021 4:32 PM

When you watch Lucie in "Here's Lucy" -- a mostly painful exercise -- you can tell Momma made sure EVERYONE was standing straightforward and TALKING so they can be HEARD. Lucie could never change that...

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2021 4:48 PM

I watched Here's Lucy on Hulu a few years back because I'd never seen any episodes. No it wasn't great, but it went down easily enough- except for Lucie Arnaz, who has got to be the first ever example of awful showbiz nepotism. She was so fucking annoying and terrible, mixed with a sense of entitlement and self satisfaction. I would have paid anything to see Gale Gordon kick her in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2021 4:52 PM

But Lucie is actually quite talented, and a MUCH better singer than either of her parents.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2021 4:59 PM

Those two quotes in the TPOS ad -- if the best you can do is Gene Shalit and the AP, how do you run for several years?

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2021 4:59 PM

I keep waiting for the actual evidence that Lucie is so talented. I've never seen any actual proof.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote]I saw the show, it was fine, but I’m astounded by the life of this thread.

I saw the show, completely forgot about it five minutes after the curtain call, and am even more astounded. Gee, I can't imagine why it's never been revived in New York.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2021 5:07 PM

I saw Lucie in one of those STAGE benefit concerts in LA a couple of times and she was EXCELLENT.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2021 5:29 PM

"Just to piss off everyone who hate that we keep talking about this."

"Hates," OP, not " hate." " Everyone" is singular.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2021 5:30 PM

She was terrific in "Witches of Eastwick" in London. The show was bleh but she was delightful. I was surprised. "Another Night with Darryl" stopped the show.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2021 5:46 PM

Why does this have a 2nd thread? Why?!

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2021 6:28 PM

Okay, here’s a TSOP story similar to the different performance styles of Arnaz and Klein:

After the show closed on Broadway, Marsha Waterbury (nee Skaggs) did a little summer stock tour in the summer of 1982 with Timothy Bottoms as Vernon. During their two week run at Traverse City’s Cherry County Playhouse, Bottoms wouldn’t even look at her on stage and delivered all of his lines to a sight line just to her left or to the right of her, just to torture her. Waterbury, though always a professional, found this so distressing and likely disappointing, that she would often break down during her delivery of I Still Believe In Love, for which her powerful delivery was already a signature of her performance as Sonia.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2021 6:44 PM

^^dyslexia strikes again

Should be TPOS not The Sound of Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2021 6:46 PM

It's easy to remember that initials. Just think, "That Piece of Shit."

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2021 6:53 PM

I saw Waterbury in a regional production of "The Heidi Chronicles." She was great.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2021 6:55 PM

I wonder why Bottoms was such an asshole.

No pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2021 6:58 PM

Geez, OP, ain't ya forgettin' something? Like....a link to the *first* thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2021 7:00 PM

r13 - She really wasn't very good. But I think that stemmed from inexperience. It's obvious that she worked at it and improved enough to get the Seesaw tour and TPOS...finally finding her niche (independent of Mom's).

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2021 7:15 PM

Would seesaw be a good Encores show? I don’t know it at all.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2021 7:29 PM

For Thread #2, reposting clips from "TPOS" with Stockard and Tony, plus clips from Reprise! with Stephanie J. Block and Jason Alexander. More footage to come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2021 7:39 PM

I don't know, r29, it didn't come to Denver.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2021 7:39 PM

and....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2021 7:40 PM

And ya know...Seesaw *was* listed on the Robert S. Garner Season mailers. I was told Lucie didn't want to play Denver.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2021 7:46 PM

Do we know what Lucie thought of today's inauguration?

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2021 5:39 PM

Timothy Bottoms was an asshole. He walked out of Fifth of July on broadway and left everyone hanging. Producers brought his more talented brother Joe in to replace him. And please don’t judge Lucie by Here’s Lucie. Not fair. Viv Vance encouraged her to do theatre if she was serious about acting and Lucie took her advice. She’s terrific.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2021 5:46 PM

I would not say Joseph Bottoms was more talented than Timothy. Timothy was the talent in that family, asshole or not. He could outact both Joe and Sam put together.

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2021 6:26 PM

Why'd Timothy walk out on Fifth of July?

I remember seeing on TV a feature about a production Timothy did of TPOS where he had has three brothers as the voices of Vernon.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2021 7:13 PM

Joseph Bottoms is really amateurish in Holocaust with M.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2021 9:14 PM

Perhaps the first complete bootleg (everyone knew they were taping) was "Over Here" starring the Andrew Sisters and featuring John Travolta, Ann Reinking, Marilu Henner and Treat Williams. Janie Sell won a Tony for her outstanding turn as a Russian spy. The scenery looks amazingly like Follies (knew we could get them in another thread) and the staging by Patricia Birch is great. The set had a lift where the entire orchestra was raised onto the stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2021 9:23 PM

The Andrew Sisters came out after the show and did a so-called third act where they did a concert of their hits. It was a huge deal at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote] During their two week run at Traverse City’s Cherry County Playhouse

I may have seen this. I know I saw Arte Johnson in Stop the World... there.

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2021 9:29 PM

R39 Re the "Over Here!" complete video (recorded at the final matinee): It's unfortunate that the first 15-20 minutes of the tape are scrambled and virtually unwatchable. Perhaps it was recorded on 3/4" videotape and the master could not be successfully transferred in full when VCRs appeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 9:33 PM

I remember that day r39. It was a Sunday, kind of cloudy, I wore green socks to the theater.....

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 9:35 PM

They didn't do it after every performance, r40.

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2021 9:37 PM

Arte Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2021 9:37 PM

Yep, r45. 1977 season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 20, 2021 9:39 PM

Didn't Robert Klein say that Lucie Arnaz did not like him at all when they did the show together but then ended up marrying a man who looked like him? I think Klein and Arnaz made up later.

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2021 9:40 PM

R47 Yes, he absolutely did say that. And we know that they made up because they performed a 40th anniversary reunion concert two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 48January 20, 2021 9:45 PM

r46 - I noticed that Miss Nancy Dussault got her act together and took it on the road in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 49January 20, 2021 9:50 PM

Nancy was no Libby Wolfson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 20, 2021 10:29 PM

How could we have missed Jamie Farr in My Fair Lady?

by Anonymousreply 51January 20, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]But Lucie is actually quite talented, and a MUCH better singer than either of her parents.

It's not hard to be a better singer than Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 52January 20, 2021 10:36 PM

Reinking, Travolta and Henner are not in that bootleg. They all left before it closed. Maxine said in an interview that they did their sister act after every performance even though it wasn’t in their contract. Audiences expected it and they felt obligated.

Klein told that story about Lucie on The Tonight Show. I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2021 10:40 PM

I recall a rumor that Lucie Arnaz was not a fan of her "Witches of Eastwick" leading man, Ian McShane.

by Anonymousreply 54January 20, 2021 10:44 PM

The feeling was mutual. McShane loathed Lucie. She said in an interview that she had no idea who he was. He ended up leaving Eastwick before his contract was up. Prior to that he and Lucie has a head on collision and she called in sick until he was gone. Not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2021 10:50 PM

Good stuff r55. That’s what the Gossip thread is missing. Just sayin’.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2021 12:36 AM

You mean actual theatre gossip?

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2021 12:40 AM

Does anyone have the inside gossip as to why Over Here never toured? It seems like a natural show for touring.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2021 1:03 AM

'Tis said that Patty and Maxene were not getting along well by the time the Broadway run ended. And the show really only existed as a vehicle for The Andrews Sisters. In fact, the plot revolved around the search for a third voice for the act, just as the actual sisters were now without their third voice.

Of course other performers could have tried it, including several who would soon be seen in "Four Girls Four." But in those days they knew better than to send out an iffy tour of a semi-hit.

by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2021 1:19 AM

^^ The Andrews Sisters, Patty and Maxene, loathed each other. Their Broadway success only worsened their long-time sibling rivalry. (The third Andrews sister, Laverne the peacekeeper, had died years before.)

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2021 1:20 AM

Maxene Andrews was one of the first name entertainers to live openly as a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2021 1:22 AM

The tour was booked and set to go. Patty refused to sign. Maxine gave a scathing interview to Rex Reed at the time blaming the amateurish producers for the tour not happening. Maxine did a production with Margaret Whiting but it wasn’t the same.

by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2021 1:37 AM

R43 I got you and LOVE you!

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2021 2:06 AM

Why...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2021 2:15 AM

Laurence Luckinbill was the star of Simon's Chapter Two when Lucie was appearing in TPOS. That's how they met.

Seems like a happy marriage. I saw her in concert once and she kept looking at me and smiling a lot. Sort of made me self-conscious. When it was over I stood up and turned around and noticed Luckinbill was sitting right behind me so it was him she was looking at a lot.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2021 2:59 AM

It was a complicated situation. The two remaining Andrews Sisters didn't negotiate or sign together, they negotiated separately. Patty had a much better agent and got a slightly better salary and all kinds of perks that Maxene didn't get (limo service to and from the theater, dinner delivered from a good restaurant, etc.). Maxene resented it all very much. Then during the run of the show, Maxene quietly came out as lesbian, going to girl bars after the show and hanging out with people like Patsy Kelly who was in No, No, Nanette. Fundie Christian Patty was horrified and the two sisters didn't speak for years, although they did have a reconciliation before their deaths.

Sorry, too tired to write more details but back in the 90s the National Enquirer did a full exposé of the situation and got most of it right.

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2021 9:27 AM

I saw the show and Patty was the star. Maxine was good but Patty had the ‘it factor.’ She nailed every laugh and the audience loved her.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2021 9:40 AM

Meanwhile, back in Quogue....Does anyone know of any songs "cut" from TPOS? Were any of the songs in TPOS Hamlisch "Trunk" songs...

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2021 2:50 PM

Luckinbill was in the middle of divorcing Robin Strasser who he was co starring with in Chapter Two when he met Lucie.

by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2021 3:01 PM

Do we need a separate "Lawrence Luckinbill" gossip thread?

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2021 3:45 PM

very impressed by the Cherry County Playhouse...Abe Vigoda! Never knew he did theater.

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2021 3:49 PM

A short but interesting Broadway resume, r71.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 21, 2021 4:20 PM

So Luckinbill and Strasser were divorcing but still starring in the same play together?

by Anonymousreply 73January 21, 2021 8:07 PM

Maggie Smith and Robert Stephens were embroiled in a very nasty and vicious divorce while performing Private Lives in London. Those must have been interesting performances. When Smith did the show a year later on Broadway, Stephens wasn't involved.

by Anonymousreply 74January 21, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote]Do we need a separate "Lawrence Luckinbill" gossip thread?

No, but we could have a LAURENCE Luckinbill thread.

by Anonymousreply 75January 21, 2021 10:47 PM

John Standing was opposite her when I saw it in Denver, r74.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 22, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote]John Standing was opposite her when I saw it in Denver, R74.

He also co-starred with Maggie when I saw "Private Lives" on Broadway in 1975 at the 46th Street Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 77January 22, 2021 2:06 AM

Wasn't she fabulous, r77? So adept at at Coward...and Shaw...and Shakespeare...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 22, 2021 2:18 AM

One at.

by Anonymousreply 79January 22, 2021 2:19 AM

I saw Maggie in "Private Lives" when the production was still on in the West End, and by the time I caught it (summer 1973) John Standing had already replaced Robert Stephens.

Angela was starring in "Gypsy" just down the road---good times.

by Anonymousreply 80January 22, 2021 2:19 AM

Angie got to Denver as well, r80. Yes....very good times.

by Anonymousreply 81January 22, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote]Wasn't she fabulous, [R77]? So adept at at Coward...and Shaw...and Shakespeare.

Fabulous indeed. I remember her performance in "Private Lives" as being quite broad. Her vocal delivery at times almost reminded me of Paul Lynde. And yet it all worked wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 82January 22, 2021 4:06 AM

I should have worn green. Oh. I wore green the last time.

by Anonymousreply 83January 22, 2021 11:50 AM

So back to TPOS... Did anyone ever wonder what "Leon" was like?

by Anonymousreply 84January 22, 2021 2:08 PM

Well, r82, I wouldn't say Paul Lynde (that would be Alice Ghostley). I call it more quintessential Maggie Smith broadness that she alone possesses. And such timing. I still remember how laugh out loud funny she made the line: "I believe there was a stillborn one in 1902". I mean, how do you do that???

by Anonymousreply 85January 22, 2021 2:21 PM

Don't know about Leon, but I do remember that a Natalie Klein saw the show and threatened to sue.

by Anonymousreply 86January 22, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote]So back to TPOS... Did anyone ever wonder what "Leon" was like?

Not for a moment. For some reason, every mention of "Leon" annoyed me. I guess we were supposed to find the name funny in and of itself. Typical lazy Neil Simon shtick.

by Anonymousreply 87January 22, 2021 3:53 PM

There’s only one performance of “They’re Playing Our Song” that matters, and it’s MINE!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 22, 2021 4:00 PM

As long as he needs Ellen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 22, 2021 4:15 PM

R85, lets not forget that Maggie Smith and Alice Ghostely were lifelong friends. They appeared together in New Faces.

by Anonymousreply 90January 22, 2021 4:25 PM

Alice accepting Maggie's Jean Brodie Oscar...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 22, 2021 5:01 PM

Can someone answer the question about cut songs/trunk songs? I'm actually interested in that -- with all due respect to Dame Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 92January 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Leon/neon/Freeon/be on/pee on/Dionne... The possibilities are endless.

by Anonymousreply 93January 22, 2021 5:25 PM

[quote]lets not forget that Maggie Smith and Alice Ghostely were lifelong friends. They appeared together in New Faces.

They both appeared in "New Faces," but not together. Alice was in "New Faces of 1952" (which was filmed, as "New Faces"), and Maggie was in "New Faces of 1956."

by Anonymousreply 94January 22, 2021 5:35 PM

[quote] Can someone answer the question about cut songs/trunk songs?

If you check out the Reprise! L.A. video at R32, you'll see a song called "If You Remember Me" performed in place of "I Still Believe in Love." It's possible that that was a song cut from the original.

by Anonymousreply 95January 22, 2021 6:57 PM

Alice Ghostley was said to be heavily influenced by the style of Paul Lynde. Maggie Smith often mentioned famed UK comic Kenneth Williams as a major influence on her comic delivery.

by Anonymousreply 96January 22, 2021 6:59 PM

I saw a stock production of TPOS that had a different ending. Instead of Sonia saying ‘I’m so lucky’ the phone rang and it’s Leon who ended up becoming friends with Vernon. Leon is going through a bad breakup and Vernon says ‘I’ll be there in half an hour’. Blackout. A friend told me that’s the ending they used in London.

by Anonymousreply 97January 22, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote]Alice Ghostley was said to be heavily influenced by the style of Paul Lynde.

And Paul Lynde was said to have been heavily influenced by the style of Alice Ghostley. They were in "New Faces of 1952" together.

by Anonymousreply 98January 22, 2021 7:29 PM

I had a friend who had a theory that Leon was actually dead, and it was all in Sonia's crazed mind. Seriously...

by Anonymousreply 99January 22, 2021 7:48 PM

Over Here was enormous fun. I enjoyed it tremendously and it was staged better than Grease. Janie Sell was wonderful.

And it is the only thing I ever saw John Travolta in. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 100January 22, 2021 8:06 PM

Our own Erna was in the chorus of "New Feces of 1973."

by Anonymousreply 101January 22, 2021 8:13 PM

Birdland posting Lucie now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 23, 2021 12:12 PM

Those Over Here clips looks wonderful and Janie Sell was just great.

I always thought Leon was some big black guy.

by Anonymousreply 103January 23, 2021 6:53 PM

I guess he thought Quogue was funny because it has a “k” sound

by Anonymousreply 104January 25, 2021 12:10 AM

It wasn't. The K sound thing had died out by then...

by Anonymousreply 105January 25, 2021 1:08 AM

Just how much did this show break out into the public consciousness? I noticed in the Tony Roberts-Stockard clips, the title song gets applause as soon as the chorus begins, as if it's a familiar hit song. That surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 106January 25, 2021 1:35 PM

I found that curious too, r106. My guess is its because they saw it on the Tony Awards broadcast. It never made Top 40, or anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 107January 25, 2021 3:56 PM

Lucie can’t even hang on to her own thread.

by Anonymousreply 108January 25, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote]Lucie can’t even hang on to her own thread.

Well, to be fair, it is Part 2 of a thread from 2015 about an inconsequential musical from 1979 that has never been revived on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 109January 25, 2021 5:02 PM

OMG. Those Tony Roberts/Stockard Channing clips are gruesome! They look totally trapped in this shit show. I'll bet they still have nightmares about matinee days during their run of TPOS. Fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2021 7:50 PM

Speaking of Tonys, I think that they are not having them this year in order for the whites in theater to deny me my numerous Tony awards!

by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2021 10:39 PM

Just so you will STFU already.

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2021 10:43 PM

I wish Terence McNally was still here instead of Jeremy O. Harris.

by Anonymousreply 113January 25, 2021 11:39 PM

R106 and R107, the show got lots of exposure on local TV shows and it was usually the title song which was featured. More importantly, it was featured in the TV commercials which were run constantly in the NYC area. I think there was more than one version of the commercial but am open to correction.

by Anonymousreply 114January 26, 2021 12:17 AM

^ Like I said I think were other versions and some were longer. Still open to correction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 26, 2021 12:50 AM

I would love to see some Brit director have a go at it, and re-invent it, ala Cabaret or Carousel.

by Anonymousreply 116January 26, 2021 1:05 AM

That tv commercial plays like a SCTV parody of a Broadway tv commercial...

by Anonymousreply 117January 26, 2021 1:07 AM

That tv commercial doesn't mention Neil Simon. What was that about?

by Anonymousreply 118January 26, 2021 1:08 AM

How would TPOS be different if it was directed by Jeremy O. Harris?

by Anonymousreply 119January 26, 2021 1:09 AM

r199,. may I have your babies?

by Anonymousreply 120January 26, 2021 1:11 AM

And now for a word from our sponsors...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 26, 2021 1:22 AM

The audience is eating it up in the Roberts/Channing clips. Seems like a crowd pleaser of a show.

by Anonymousreply 122January 26, 2021 1:50 AM

Only in the hands of engaging performers, r122.

by Anonymousreply 123January 26, 2021 2:09 AM

Whatever Happened to Rhonda Fherer?

by Anonymousreply 124January 26, 2021 2:12 AM

What ever happened to class?

by Anonymousreply 125January 26, 2021 2:12 AM

I'm always shocked that Stockard Channing has done as many musicals as she has. Her voice is tolerable in the right role, but she's never been much of a powerhouse singer. She managed to replace roles originated by Lucie Arnaz and Liza Minnelli on Broadway. How did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 126January 26, 2021 2:12 AM

No mention of Neil Simon in that commercial? Was he not box office at that point?

by Anonymousreply 127January 26, 2021 2:13 AM

Well, she seemed to display a lot of verve in TPOS that compensated for her lesser vocals, r126.

by Anonymousreply 128January 26, 2021 2:21 AM

r126 Stockard actually started in musicals. He first job was Two Gentlemen from Verona.

She was a big star from Grease when she replaced Lucie. She had been groomed for two sitcoms both of which flopped. She did TPOS on her hiatus but then the sitcom got cancelled. She still left though. Lucie was supposed to return after Stockard's run but for some reason didn't hence them putting understudy Rhonda Farer in (she's listed as Ronnie Farer on imdb and seemed to work a little bit after the show.)

Lucie was actually the first choice to replace Liza in The Rink but she wisely decided not too. Stockard was in a rough period around The Rink. She had two plays flop that season that were thought to be hot properties. Then she went into The Rink and it quickly closed without Liza there to sell tickets. Who knows why she accepted The Rink. May have needed the money or thought it would continue on because of Chita's Tony win.

by Anonymousreply 129January 26, 2021 2:40 AM

[quote]I would love to see some Brit director have a go at it, and re-invent it, ala Cabaret or Carousel.

Good luck, is all I can say. "Cabaret" and "Carousel" have depths to explore and first-rate scores. "They're Playing Our Song" has Neil Simon one-liners and songs that go in one ear and out the other.

by Anonymousreply 130January 26, 2021 3:24 AM

You don't think "Fill In The Words" is first-rate?

by Anonymousreply 131January 26, 2021 2:48 PM

for Gawd sake folks, it's a minor musical entertainment, not even close to Cabaret or Carousel....

by Anonymousreply 132January 26, 2021 2:53 PM

"Fallin'" is a very good song, and very good first number in a musical. Not a classic "I Want," but the want is implied. And the notion of starting with a ballad was smart for a small musical. Again, before the nay-sayers pounce, I'm [italic]not[/italic] saying the show is in any ways a masterpiece, but it's better than haters say.

by Anonymousreply 133January 26, 2021 2:54 PM

Was "Fallin" in the LA production, or was that written for New York?

by Anonymousreply 134January 26, 2021 2:56 PM

I think a director could "Meta" the show, and expose its emptiness as sort of a new dramatic fuel.

Or at least, eliminate the car.

by Anonymousreply 135January 26, 2021 4:28 PM

How about TPOS...on Ice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 26, 2021 4:33 PM

[quote][How about TPOS...on Ice!

How about TPOS -- ALL NUDE!

by Anonymousreply 137January 26, 2021 4:52 PM

Having done the research, not sure I need to see Rhonda Feher nude...Nor Tony Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 138January 26, 2021 4:53 PM

They could set it in the frigid tropics!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 26, 2021 6:19 PM

LUCIE ARNAZ SEESAW AUDIO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 26, 2021 9:19 PM

Can you imagine how great TPOS might have been if Cy Coleman wrote the score? Wonder why Simon asked Hamlisch...

by Anonymousreply 141January 27, 2021 1:24 AM

My memory is the idea for TPOS came from Simon listening to Hamlisch go on and on about his relationship with Carol Bayer Sager, and it struck him to write the show.

by Anonymousreply 142January 27, 2021 1:31 AM

Simon should have been less impulsive, R142.

by Anonymousreply 143January 27, 2021 2:00 AM

It was their story not Simon’s

by Anonymousreply 144January 27, 2021 2:46 AM

On a hot summer day in 1978, Neil Simon called. He had his sights set on turning his play “The Gingerbread Lady” into a Broadway Musical. (An unlikely idea, but who was I to argue with Neil Simon?) He had already written hilarious books for the musicals “Sweet Charity”, “Little Me”, and “Promises, Promises.” It never dawned on me that my stories about Carole Bayer Sager and me had started the Simon creative juices flowing. I was puzzled when one day, a few months later, Carole and I received a brown envelope from Neil. I couldn’t figure out what was in it, since by then we had abandoned “The Gingerbread Lady”. We found a typewritten manuscript inside…

by Anonymousreply 145January 27, 2021 3:14 AM

It's a much more entertaining show than the "Let's take a movie we've all seen 10 times and put some songs in it and call it a musical" thinking that has become what Broadway is.

Keep it closed. We aren't missing much.

by Anonymousreply 146January 27, 2021 3:54 AM

Oh Dear....Robert Klein going solo. How could anyone watch this? How could anyone do this 8 times a week. WTF?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147January 27, 2021 3:09 PM

It will take a few years for broadway to rebound. I predict very few shows will reopen but off and off off broadway will thrive thanks to smaller theatres and crowds. The era of the big glitzy overpriced musicals is over for now. Time to revive Same Time, Next Year and (dare I say) TPOS.

by Anonymousreply 148January 27, 2021 3:30 PM

I think its the exact opposite. The big ones will return and thrive; the smaller, independent will wither.

by Anonymousreply 149January 27, 2021 3:36 PM

Who "choreographed" that Tony Randall video?

by Anonymousreply 150January 27, 2021 4:08 PM

I haven't seen mugging like that since Dana Plato held up a video store.

by Anonymousreply 151January 29, 2021 4:37 AM

Debbie Shapiro!

by Anonymousreply 152January 29, 2021 4:56 AM

the closed caption in that Tony Randall video labels Robert Klein as Richard Kline (Three's Company)

by Anonymousreply 153January 29, 2021 5:00 AM

Elaine Zayak skated to They're Playing Our song..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 29, 2021 6:13 AM

God bless Elaine Zayak. God bless.

by Anonymousreply 155January 29, 2021 7:33 PM

More Hamlischian skating

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 29, 2021 7:44 PM

Here's Tom Conti on the London cast...He makes Klein seem like Hugh Jackman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 30, 2021 3:36 PM

I've generally heard people liked Conti in the show

by Anonymousreply 158January 30, 2021 5:13 PM

How could they like any musical with that voice in your leading man...

by Anonymousreply 159January 30, 2021 11:12 PM

Conti and Paulette Collins did the West End production of Romantic Comedy in the '80s. Anthony Perkins was in the Broadway production (of RC) and had musical experience. He'd have been rather old for Vernon, but maybe it could have worked opposite Anita Gillette?

by Anonymousreply 160January 30, 2021 11:34 PM

And now that I've looked it up, Anthony Perkins was 48 in the fall of 1980. Anita was 44. Tony Roberts was 41.

by Anonymousreply 161January 30, 2021 11:38 PM

Any relation to PauLINE Collins, r160? Who, by the way, turned 80 this past year.

by Anonymousreply 162January 30, 2021 11:41 PM

D'oh! Speaking of older actors joining established shows, did I Love My Wife do any sort of adjusting when the likes of James Naughton, Joanna Gleason, Ilene Graff and Lenny Baker and their replacements (30ish or thereabouts) were succeeded by the Smothers Brothers, Barbara Sharma and Janie Sell (~40)?

by Anonymousreply 163January 30, 2021 11:44 PM

Miss Barbara Sharma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 30, 2021 11:58 PM

Romantic Comedy should have run longer. Perkins and Mia Farrow were great together but business fell off sharply during the run. Karen Valentine and Keith Baxter played the final month on broadway then took it on tour where it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 165January 31, 2021 12:46 AM

Sharma was obviously a good Fosse dancer. I wonder why she didn't do Chicago. I could absolutely imagine her doing Roxie. It would have been the right time in her career as well.

by Anonymousreply 166January 31, 2021 1:03 AM

I also wonder why Romantic Comedy didn't have a longer run.

by Anonymousreply 167January 31, 2021 1:04 AM

R116, have you lost your mind? Trevor Nunn is just what this show deserves.

Besides, it was revived in London about 10 years ago or so at The Menier Chocolate Factory with some reality tv star. It got TERRIBLE reviews.

by Anonymousreply 168January 31, 2021 1:18 AM

R168 I had quite forgotten about that revival. Connie Fisher won the TV competition "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?," which got her the star part in Andrew Lloyd Webber's 2006 London revival of "The Sound of Music." She won acclaim for that, but had much less luck with "They're Playing Our Song" in London and "Wonderful Town" on a UK tour

by Anonymousreply 169January 31, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote] D'oh! Speaking of older actors joining established shows, did I Love My Wife do any sort of adjusting when the likes of James Naughton, Joanna Gleason, Ilene Graff and Lenny Baker and their replacements (30ish or thereabouts) were succeeded by the Smothers Brothers, Barbara Sharma and Janie Sell (~40)?

Yes, Rose, the two male characters no longer kissed each other because they were brothers.

by Anonymousreply 170January 31, 2021 2:14 AM

Did anyone see Donna as one of the Sonias?

by Anonymousreply 171January 31, 2021 3:33 AM

Donna is one of the Sonias in the footage at R30. But the photographer didn't know that Donna would become a two-time Tony winner, so he never zooms in on her.

by Anonymousreply 172January 31, 2021 3:38 AM

You sure? I tried to recognize her

by Anonymousreply 173January 31, 2021 4:03 AM

R173 Donna is in the cast list as a Sonia in the Playbill for the TPOS performance captured in that video. Of course, there's always the possibility that a slip announcing a swing on for Donna could have fallen out of the program. But I think I found her among the Sonias.

by Anonymousreply 174January 31, 2021 4:09 AM

Around the 4:25 part in the video at r30 it sort of sounds like Donna when the backup singers come in really loud.

by Anonymousreply 175January 31, 2021 6:53 AM

Tom Conti sounds awful on the London cast recording. Did they change the nationality of the characters in the London version or was Conti's ghastly performance his dreadful attempt at playing an American? He should have been slapped viciously and prevented from singing or playing an American ever again.

by Anonymousreply 176January 31, 2021 4:12 PM

And it doesn't seem that Gemma Craven had much of a West End career after TPOS either...

by Anonymousreply 177January 31, 2021 7:02 PM

R177, according to Wiki she won an Olivier for TPOS. Wtf?

[quote] In London's West End, she starred opposite Tom Conti in the musical They're Playing Our Song for which she won a Laurence Olivier Award for her performance, the lead role in South Pacific, and in Noël Coward's Private Lives opposite Marc Sinden, Tony Anholt and Anholt's wife Tracey Childs which toured throughout 1991 and into 1992. She also played Josie in Boy George's Taboo and features on the OCR singing "Independent Woman".

by Anonymousreply 178January 31, 2021 7:35 PM

Craven will always have a place in American filmgoers hearts for her performance in Slipper and the Rose.

by Anonymousreply 179January 31, 2021 8:00 PM

Oh, R175, did you hear someone singing flat?

by Anonymousreply 180January 31, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] Craven will always have a place in American filmgoers hearts for her performance in Slipper and the Rose.

Honey, even Richard Chamberlain doesn't remember that movie.

by Anonymousreply 181January 31, 2021 11:09 PM

R181, that's funny. A good friend was working for William Morris and was making a delivery to his house. She broke protocol and asked him to reenact the last scene from Slipper and the Rose. He laughed, rolled his eyes and said that was 20 years ago, how did you expect me to remember that.

How could anyone think someone named Gemma Craven could have a career in showbiz. Maybe porn.

by Anonymousreply 182February 1, 2021 12:21 AM

I saw The Slipper and the Rose at Radio City the week it opened. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed it and applauded at the end with the rest of the audience. Not a great film but a real audience pleaser. Gorgeous physical production and cinematography with a cute Sherman Brothers score and such likeable performances.

I'm probably overpraising it but Gary and I had such a nice afternoon. I miss that Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 183February 1, 2021 1:26 AM

Old show queen

by Anonymousreply 184February 1, 2021 1:52 AM

I saw Donna as one of the Sonia’s. Very round face and a little chubby. I think she either dropped out of college or had just graduated when she got cast. Andy Roth who played one of the Vernons was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 185February 1, 2021 1:55 AM

You type that like it's a bad thing, r184.

by Anonymousreply 186February 1, 2021 2:09 AM

Murphy is in the clip at r30.

Someone asked her on twitter and she said yes.

by Anonymousreply 187February 1, 2021 3:41 AM

R187 Love it! Thanks for letting us know.

by Anonymousreply 188February 1, 2021 4:07 AM

Donna as Sonia would actually make me sit through the show again...

by Anonymousreply 189February 1, 2021 2:57 PM

I worked with one of the musical directors from TPOS and he thought Anita Gillette was the best “Sonia” of the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 190February 1, 2021 4:09 PM

Well, r190, Anita has *verve*. You can never go wrong with *verve*.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 1, 2021 4:13 PM

Anita morphed from leading lady on stage to character actress in film and tv beautifully. She doesn’t have a lot to do in Moonstruck but she makes every second on screen count.

by Anonymousreply 192February 1, 2021 4:43 PM

I love that TPOS was a WALLOPING hit... We really don't use the word walloping enough, I think...

by Anonymousreply 193February 1, 2021 4:50 PM

Watched an old L&O with her the other day, r192. She really is a fine actress...

by Anonymousreply 194February 1, 2021 4:58 PM

Well, it *can* have a negative connotation, r193.

by Anonymousreply 195February 1, 2021 5:01 PM

"Walloping" from Gene Shalit didn't mean much to anyone with a brain...

by Anonymousreply 196February 1, 2021 6:10 PM

Serious question: Whatever happened to Robert Moore? Who was he that he was directing such a high-profile musical? I'm new to musical theatre history, but I have never heard him mentioned anywhere in the books I've read.

by Anonymousreply 197February 1, 2021 6:11 PM

R197 Robert Moore was first a Broadway performer then a terrific director of such hits as "The Boys in the Band," "Deathtrap," and Neil Simon's "Promises, "Promises" and "Last of the Red Hot Lovers," all prior to "They're Playing Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 198February 1, 2021 6:22 PM

R197, Robert Moore also directed a few movies, including Neil Simon's "Murder by Death." His acting roles included Phyllis's gay brother (who she thinks is dating Rhoda) on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." He also played a disabled gay man opposite Liza Minnelli in "Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon." Moore died of complications from AIDS in 1984. He was 57.

by Anonymousreply 199February 1, 2021 7:02 PM

Here he is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200February 1, 2021 8:25 PM

He looks like one of Vernon's "boys"

by Anonymousreply 201February 1, 2021 8:51 PM

Here's Gemma in "She Loves Me"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202February 1, 2021 8:55 PM

Murder By Death gave us this very useful gif, r199...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203February 1, 2021 9:49 PM

Lorna and Richard can be yours for $9...Which is probably what a ticket cost on their tour....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204February 3, 2021 12:03 AM

His name was "Dick Ryder"? I guess that makes him a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 205February 3, 2021 12:19 AM

Why is Tom Mallow the producer and Manny Azenburg?

by Anonymousreply 206February 3, 2021 12:24 AM

R205, I knew Richard Ryder. He always went by "Richard" and not "Dick."

R206, Tom Mallow produced tours.

by Anonymousreply 207February 3, 2021 12:47 AM

There’s Ellen Greene, Lorna, Rhonda… How many tours were there?

by Anonymousreply 208February 3, 2021 3:21 AM

According to IBDB (which is getting better at this sort of thing), two. Looks like the first one, which started with Victor Garber and Ellen Greene, had more extended engagements. Also, Victor did the tour for more than a year longer than Ellen. He ended up acting opposite Marsha Skaggs. Anita Gillette ended the tour, opposite Ray Buktenica and then Dick Latessa. The second tour, with Lorna Luft and John Hammil, ended up with Richard Ryder and for Sonia, June Gable and Dawn Wells.

by Anonymousreply 209February 3, 2021 4:12 AM

Wow...Two tours for a mid-level show? Did the turntable tour?

by Anonymousreply 210February 3, 2021 2:24 PM

It obviously was a cheap show to tour, r210. O/T, but it just struck me that I saw the Raisin tour and remember absolutely nothing about it.

by Anonymousreply 211February 3, 2021 2:40 PM

I saw the tour with Lorna and Ryder at the Milwaukee PAC. I remember the papers made a big deal that one of Vernon's boys was from Milwaukee. Those were the days...

by Anonymousreply 212February 3, 2021 4:42 PM

is it too boring to cast a new production here? How about Michael C Hall and Danielle Brooks?

by Anonymousreply 213February 3, 2021 4:51 PM

Someone must have broken into Elaine Joyce's house. Simon's original script is on eBay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214February 3, 2021 4:56 PM

If you're looking for musical tour info, this is a great site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215February 3, 2021 5:37 PM

Have we talked about how there was supposedly going to be a movie adaptation (produced by Ray Stark, natch) in the early 80s with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John? They ended up making Two of a Kind instead.

by Anonymousreply 216February 3, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote]They ended up making Two of a Kind instead.

Apparently they were holding out for even worse material.

by Anonymousreply 217February 3, 2021 5:48 PM

The script read like a talky musical that two Jewish New Yorkers like Elliott Gould and Barbra Streisand might have been cast in if it had been produced in the early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 218February 3, 2021 9:17 PM

I saw Susan Anton as Sonia in stock. She looked like Malibu Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 219February 3, 2021 9:43 PM

I think "With One Look" is one of us! The Australian TPOS just posted to youtube! Thank you "With One Look"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220February 3, 2021 11:01 PM

My pleasure. Not the greatest recording. LP is a little scratchy. Not sure if there’s a cd out there. Enjoy :). And thank you to whoever posted the 1980 video clips. I enjoyed them very much.

by Anonymousreply 221February 4, 2021 1:20 AM

If anybody’s the real star of the show, it’s Ralph Burns.

by Anonymousreply 222February 4, 2021 2:37 AM

Really great work

by Anonymousreply 223February 4, 2021 2:48 AM

It had a summer stock tour starring John Hillner and Lauren Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 224February 4, 2021 3:06 AM

[quote]It had a summer stock tour starring John Hillner and Lauren Mitchell.

And I missed it!?

by Anonymousreply 225February 4, 2021 4:39 AM

they were understudies who got promoted to the leads for the tour. He was actually very good. Went on to do a number of shows. She became a producer briefly. (must have married money.)

by Anonymousreply 226February 4, 2021 4:52 AM

I think some regional should run "TPOS" and "The Last Five Years" in rep with the same actors. It could be a whole neurotic jewish composers season!

by Anonymousreply 227February 4, 2021 3:25 PM

What was the deal with Carole Bayer Sager first getting hitched to Marvin Hamlisch and then to Burt Bacharach? She was a mediocre lyricist, so was she just fucking name composers to get herself nominated for awards and earn royalty checks?

by Anonymousreply 228February 4, 2021 4:33 PM

Marvin never married Carole.

by Anonymousreply 229February 4, 2021 4:37 PM

Up next: A massive thread about Barnum.

by Anonymousreply 230February 4, 2021 4:39 PM

Thank god I'm old. Count me in..

by Anonymousreply 231February 4, 2021 4:57 PM

Teri White in TPOS. I'd pay premium.

by Anonymousreply 232February 4, 2021 6:25 PM

Terri White!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233February 4, 2021 6:28 PM

Paul Simon as Vernon and Carly Simon as Sonia in "They're Playing Our Retirement Song" for nostalgic New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 234February 4, 2021 9:02 PM

And it is interesting because Neil Simon also collaborated with a woman lyricist, the much more talented Dorothy Fields, on [italic]Sweet Charity[/italic] and collaborated with Burt Bacharach on [italic]Promises, Promises[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 235February 4, 2021 9:11 PM

Carole Bayer Sager has written some very good songs including the Gay anthem Come In From the Rain

by Anonymousreply 236February 4, 2021 11:11 PM

Carole Bayer Sager is painful to watch in interviews she's had so much plastic surgery. Anyone read her book?

by Anonymousreply 237February 5, 2021 12:09 AM

Her book is very entertaining, and she is honest about all the surgery and more...

by Anonymousreply 238February 5, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote] What was the deal with Carole Bayer Sager first getting hitched to Marvin Hamlisch and then to Burt Bacharach? She was a mediocre lyricist, so was she just fucking name composers to get herself nominated for awards and earn royalty checks?

It worked. She won an Oscar for the Theme from [italic]Arthur[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 239February 5, 2021 12:44 AM

She sure didn't fuck me, r239.

by Anonymousreply 240February 5, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote] It worked. She won an Oscar for the Theme from Arthur.

Thanks to my one line!

by Anonymousreply 241February 5, 2021 12:56 AM

Ha-ha, beat ya to it!

by Anonymousreply 242February 5, 2021 12:58 AM

"Honest about all the plastic surgery"? What's honest about plastic surgery?

by Anonymousreply 243February 5, 2021 1:21 AM

And Peter Allen at R241, you stole that line from an announcement made by the pilot of one of your flights. Four damn writers to compose one song and the only good thing about it was still something that someone else came up with.

This is like "Queen Bey" grabbing songwriter credits for just adding vapid lines such as "Ooh yeah" or "Fuck me boo" to her songs.

by Anonymousreply 244February 5, 2021 6:09 AM

How cute is this, they're doing the logo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245February 5, 2021 12:05 PM

[quote]How cute is this, they're doing the logo!

The guy appears to be a little reluctant to get too close to someone named Gaby Gasser.

by Anonymousreply 246February 5, 2021 6:00 PM

What about his juhnke, r246?

by Anonymousreply 247February 5, 2021 6:14 PM

Is there a Harold Juhnke cast recording? Bootleg?

by Anonymousreply 248February 6, 2021 4:59 PM

R248 Never fear---there is indeed a German cast recording. I have the LP!

by Anonymousreply 249February 6, 2021 6:38 PM

So you have Juhnke in your trunk, r249?

by Anonymousreply 250February 6, 2021 6:46 PM

Happy Birthday, Robert Klein.

by Anonymousreply 251February 8, 2021 3:14 PM

I miss this thread. Anyone have any stories of doing the show in their high school?

by Anonymousreply 252February 9, 2021 1:34 AM

Don't high schools usually like to do shows with bigger ensemble casts, so everyone gets to be on stage?

by Anonymousreply 253February 9, 2021 3:48 AM

I suspect Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School staged it with Timmy as Vernon and Lourdes Leon as Sonia.

by Anonymousreply 254February 9, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote]Don't high schools usually like to do shows with bigger ensemble casts, so everyone gets to be on stage?

Yes, sometimes even adding walk-on characters not in the original script. "They Playing Our Song" would have no appeal for high schools.

by Anonymousreply 255February 9, 2021 4:16 AM

I'm now imagining a high school production where there's an absurdly high number of Voices.

by Anonymousreply 256February 9, 2021 4:35 AM

OMG - I'm the original OP. I'm a DL LEGEND!

by Anonymousreply 257February 9, 2021 8:50 AM

Not until you hear from Blackglama, r257.

by Anonymousreply 258February 9, 2021 2:18 PM

[quote] Have we talked about how there was supposedly going to be a movie adaptation (produced by Ray Stark, natch) in the early 80s with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John? They ended up making Two of a Kind instead.

Meanwhile, Stark gave musicals a rest after [italic]Annie[/italic] and collaborated with Neil Simon on the megabomb [italic]The Slugger's Wife[/italic] instead.

by Anonymousreply 259February 9, 2021 2:34 PM

I think there were 10 seconds where Lucie was mentioned as a possible Grace Farrell in the ANNIE film. Marilyn Beck or someone like that printed it, I think...

by Anonymousreply 260February 9, 2021 3:13 PM

What about Klein as Warbucks? THAT I'd pay to see...

by Anonymousreply 261February 9, 2021 3:14 PM

This thread has finally run out of gas. Like Lucie's career 40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 262February 9, 2021 6:50 PM

Let's stop the Lucie bashing....She made choices...

by Anonymousreply 263February 9, 2021 7:39 PM

Almost all amateur and some regional productions have added the chorus to the title number which takes away a lot of the charm. Being a voice must have been the easiest job on broadway.

by Anonymousreply 264February 9, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote]This thread has run out of gas.

Then may I present something different. This has been posted at DL before, but for those who haven't seen it, here is Divine in Peter Pan Live! at the Melonville War Memorial Auditorium.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265February 9, 2021 7:51 PM

It doesn't run out of gas until *I* say it runs out of gas, r262.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266February 9, 2021 10:30 PM

Helen Lawson had an entire chorus line of hunky, high-kicking gas jockeys in her Gulf ads.

by Anonymousreply 267February 9, 2021 10:39 PM

Can someone please fill in the words?

by Anonymousreply 268February 10, 2021 3:36 PM

The toy piano idea was simple and smart.

by Anonymousreply 269February 10, 2021 4:44 PM

R269 = Schroeder

by Anonymousreply 270February 10, 2021 4:51 PM

If I had the words, I'd have a song ...

by Anonymousreply 271February 10, 2021 5:09 PM

Do you think Marvin ever tried that when he and Carole had a fight? He'd just whip out the toy piano, play a few notes and down come the panties? ("I think I'll wear black now!"

by Anonymousreply 272February 10, 2021 5:11 PM

I picture them writing songs with the ease of Ann Sothern and Robert Young in Lady Be Good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273February 10, 2021 5:19 PM

r 273, will you marry me?

by Anonymousreply 274February 11, 2021 12:46 AM

Francine and Rodney sing "Right."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275February 11, 2021 1:39 AM

I'm obsessed. Who and where and when are Francine and Rodney?

by Anonymousreply 276February 11, 2021 4:58 PM

"They Playing Our Song" opened on Broadway at the Imperial Theatre exactly 42 years ago today, Feb. 11, 1979.

by Anonymousreply 277February 11, 2021 5:15 PM

^^ Make that "They're Playing Our Song." ^^

by Anonymousreply 278February 11, 2021 5:16 PM

Burn Brae Dinner Theatre, 1987 Ran for 5 months!

This is the understudy Sonia. And apparently they had a matinee Vernon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279February 11, 2021 6:01 PM

For the real obsessives (apparently a lot here) there's a script signed by Simon and Hamlisch available on Ebay.

by Anonymousreply 280February 11, 2021 9:23 PM

Well, we could all chip in and buy it for the DL performing arts library.

by Anonymousreply 281February 11, 2021 9:36 PM

Let our Troupe entertain your Group!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282February 12, 2021 4:34 PM

Some performances sold out!

by Anonymousreply 283February 12, 2021 4:44 PM

That's the thing about TPOS....It's a nothing show that, during its day, really sold tickets. Who can figure?

by Anonymousreply 284February 12, 2021 4:44 PM

I saw The Slipper and the Rose at Radio City as well. It was the Christmas movie. Yes I miss that New York too.

by Anonymousreply 285February 12, 2021 4:52 PM

How about doing it gay with Jonathan Groff and Neil Patrick Harris. They can alternate roles. Vernon and Sonny.

by Anonymousreply 286February 13, 2021 10:46 PM

This thread is ovah...

by Anonymousreply 287February 14, 2021 3:11 PM

Then, r287, like the phoenix...

by Anonymousreply 288February 14, 2021 3:17 PM

They need a sequel where Sonia ditches Vernon and marries a philandering narcissist named Burt.

"They're Playing His Song"

by Anonymousreply 289February 15, 2021 12:59 AM

WithOneLook (who obvsly is here) just post full audio of the original Broadway cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290February 15, 2021 9:24 PM

YES! YES! YES! Don't say a word now...

by Anonymousreply 291February 15, 2021 9:50 PM

Can't wait for the audio of the burn brae production!

by Anonymousreply 292February 15, 2021 9:58 PM

Are there really "People who are not afraid to die"? What was Carole Bayer Sager thinking?

by Anonymousreply 293February 15, 2021 10:00 PM

she was wishing Marvin Hamlisch's cocklet stretched between the moon and New York City.

by Anonymousreply 294February 15, 2021 10:01 PM

I'm afraid to fly. And I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 295February 16, 2021 2:37 AM

r295 = Erica Jong

by Anonymousreply 296February 16, 2021 2:39 AM

Miss Ellen Greene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297February 16, 2021 2:42 AM

I want to have "With One Look's" babies...

by Anonymousreply 298February 16, 2021 2:50 AM

Did Ellen Greene play the part in any other city but Chicago? Lucky Chicagoans...

by Anonymousreply 299February 17, 2021 3:48 PM

Ellen only played Chicago. I believe it was a 6 month engagement.

by Anonymousreply 300February 17, 2021 8:25 PM

I'm amazed it could sustain a six month run...

by Anonymousreply 301February 18, 2021 12:29 AM

...not to mention 1.5 DL threads.

by Anonymousreply 302February 18, 2021 1:00 AM

Rewinding to the Simon production before Song, anybody have strong feelings about Chapter Two?

by Anonymousreply 303February 18, 2021 1:07 AM

Ask that cunt Anita Gillette.

by Anonymousreply 304February 18, 2021 2:21 AM

I saw Chapter Two with Larry Luckinbill and then wife Robin Strasser. I believe the marriage ended during their run. I thought she was quite good. He was fine. The play is too long but it’s not the worst thing he’s written. Anita, btw, replaced Pamela Bellwood during rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 305February 18, 2021 2:35 AM

Sounds like Anita made a career of replacing much younger women in roles she was too old to play.

by Anonymousreply 306February 18, 2021 6:08 AM

Maybe Anita's preparing to play Elphaba?

by Anonymousreply 307February 18, 2021 12:51 PM

In Carole Bayer Sager's autobiography, she points out that by the time the show was written, she and Hamlisch were essentially over as a couple. She also writes that she thought he was bi-polar.

by Anonymousreply 308February 18, 2021 3:29 PM

She also admits because the show was so cheap to produce, it had recouped before they left L.A. Those were the days...

by Anonymousreply 309February 18, 2021 3:30 PM

I imagine a lot of those Neil Simon shows recouped quickly.

by Anonymousreply 310February 18, 2021 11:23 PM

It's sad that Simon's reputation has diminished so much. Yes, the shows are jokey but funny is funny and no one has really shown up who can write funny for the theater. Most of what passes these days has nowhere near his level of craftsmanship, even if the result is dated or out of fashion. And now with general anti-old-white-man backlash, he may never come back into fashion. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 311February 19, 2021 11:38 AM

I think you're right r311, and one of the reasons for maintaining this profoundly interesting thread on TPOS is to keep a public celebration and examination of Simon alive!

by Anonymousreply 312February 19, 2021 2:56 PM

Sid Caesar was on Dick Cavett last night. He was doing the national tour of Last of the Red Hot Lovers with Elaine Hyman, Jill O'Hara and Doris Roberts. I saw a summer tour of it with George Gobel. The only performance I really remember is Jane Curtin's.

by Anonymousreply 313February 19, 2021 3:01 PM

Manny Azenberg and Morton Gottleib were classy producers and made their investors lots of $$$. Same Time, Next Year has recouped by opening night.

by Anonymousreply 314February 19, 2021 11:02 PM

Really, r314? With that enormous cast?

by Anonymousreply 315February 19, 2021 11:28 PM

Jane Curtin did Last of the Red Hot Lovers opposite George Gobel?

by Anonymousreply 316February 19, 2021 11:36 PM

1972, r316, she played Bobbi Michele. I saw the production here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317February 19, 2021 11:42 PM

R315. LOL. Yes it was cheap to produce but that would not happen today.

by Anonymousreply 318February 20, 2021 12:20 AM

I NEVER miss a Jane Curtain comedy!

by Anonymousreply 319February 20, 2021 12:55 AM

r319, you ignorant slut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320February 20, 2021 1:05 AM

sic transit gloria mundi...

by Anonymousreply 321February 22, 2021 8:20 PM

[quote]sic transit gloria mundi...

Also Gloria Stivic.

by Anonymousreply 322February 22, 2021 11:32 PM

Just plain....Gloria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323February 22, 2021 11:48 PM

Gloria!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324February 23, 2021 12:08 AM

Ghastly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325February 23, 2021 12:24 AM

Gloria Mundy's pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 326February 23, 2021 2:16 AM

From LA...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327February 24, 2021 2:46 AM

Interesting the orchestration is different than Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 328February 24, 2021 4:20 PM

That's what tryouts are for, r328.

by Anonymousreply 329February 24, 2021 4:23 PM

They released a single of "Falling"....What could they have been thinking? Wasn't Casablanca primarily a disco label? Maybe the Coke was flowing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330February 25, 2021 7:25 PM

Bump. This. Thread. Not just for tonight.

by Anonymousreply 331March 4, 2021 1:34 AM

Sitting in Quogue...Missing this thread.

by Anonymousreply 332March 5, 2021 2:30 PM

Towns with a "k" sound are funny.

by Anonymousreply 333March 5, 2021 4:11 PM

I Miss the Mountains...

Wrong show...

by Anonymousreply 334March 5, 2021 6:58 PM

I thought it was fun when they hired Ted Wass and Diana Canova from the TV show [italic]Soap[/italic]. Are there other examples of shows hiring a "team" that was interesting together, rather than based entirely on their individual draw?

by Anonymousreply 335March 8, 2021 2:32 PM

[quote]Are there other examples of shows hiring a "team" that was interesting together, rather than based entirely on their individual draw?

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz Sr. were offered the tour, but Gary talked them out of it.

by Anonymousreply 336March 8, 2021 6:58 PM

We cannot let the doubters win. This thread must rally. Everyone do your part. Here's where my boys come in!

by Anonymousreply 337March 10, 2021 5:48 PM

Did I mention I left during the second act of the original production? I thought it couldn't remain as dull as it had been during the first. I mean something had to happen right? Nothing did and I had gotten to the point of theater going where I just didn't want to waste my time. The large stage of the Imperial was very empty. I also saw the original Chapter Two there. Another truly lousy Neil Simon play that was too small for the theater. But at least that had a sterling cast. At least his biographical plays were good and it's hard to believe now but Broderick was wonderful in two of them.

by Anonymousreply 338March 10, 2021 7:22 PM

They're Playing Our Song was the Broadway musical equivalent of Like Cola....(look it up...)

by Anonymousreply 339March 11, 2021 8:07 PM

Chapter Two was autobiographical.

by Anonymousreply 340March 12, 2021 1:49 AM

No r338 you didn’t mention. Did I mention no one gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 341March 12, 2021 1:59 AM

Not 𝙢𝙮 Like, r339!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342March 13, 2021 2:47 PM

I'M. ARAID. TO. FLY.

by Anonymousreply 343April 4, 2021 2:24 PM

Do you know why?

by Anonymousreply 344April 4, 2021 4:28 PM

I don’t!

by Anonymousreply 345April 4, 2021 6:47 PM

The decline of this thread is like when passion turned to pain.

by Anonymousreply 346April 5, 2021 11:44 AM

Did anyone here attend the 40th reunion concert? I was hoping a bootleg would pop up. Never did.

by Anonymousreply 347April 5, 2021 12:08 PM

Here's a short clip at least

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348April 5, 2021 12:13 PM

Thank you! Sorry I missed it :)

by Anonymousreply 349April 5, 2021 12:20 PM

RIP TPOS thread

by Anonymousreply 350April 17, 2021 8:17 PM

Right now my mind is such a mess I hardly knew this thread was here. HEY BABAY!

by Anonymousreply 351April 17, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote]HEY BABAY!

Uh, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352April 17, 2021 9:26 PM

KAREN OLIVIO IS SONIA WALSK!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 353April 18, 2021 2:45 AM

[italic]She/They're Playing Our Song[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 354April 18, 2021 11:34 AM

Maybe it's time for a [italic]TPOS[/italic] film with CGI-aged-up Ben Platt and CGIU-aged-down Julianne Moore.

by Anonymousreply 355May 18, 2021 8:47 PM

I'm so happy this thread is back...I can't WAIT til we get to Quogue!

by Anonymousreply 356May 18, 2021 8:52 PM

Dick Van Dyke and Betty White in They're Graying Our Song?

Lame, I know, but anything to keep the thread alive.

by Anonymousreply 357May 18, 2021 9:12 PM

Mary Martin and Robert Preston in "They're Decaying Our Song"?

by Anonymousreply 358May 19, 2021 8:40 PM

Sweeney co-stars Angela Lansbury & Len Carioiu happily both still alive, reunited in "They're Slaying Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 359May 20, 2021 12:13 AM

Sean Hayes and Jesse Tyler Ferguson in They're Gaying Our Song. Or They're Feying Our Song. Or They're Braying Our Song.

by Anonymousreply 360May 20, 2021 12:11 PM

RuPaul and Billy Porter in "They're sachey chantey-ing Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 361May 20, 2021 1:55 PM

Watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362May 20, 2021 3:40 PM

I like the rhyming game. And keeping this thread alive because other queens are pissed about that.

by Anonymousreply 363May 20, 2021 3:58 PM

They subjected everyone to " Follies," so fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 364May 20, 2021 6:13 PM

I LOVE how ugly the set is.

by Anonymousreply 365May 20, 2021 7:45 PM

S&M version: They're Flaying Our Song

by Anonymousreply 366May 21, 2021 1:02 PM

The Ryan Murphy version starring David Corenswet and Lea Michele: "They're gaying our song."

by Anonymousreply 367May 21, 2021 1:51 PM

Chrissy Metz and Chris Sullivan in [italic]They're Buffeting Our Song[/italic], following the tradition of TV co-stars Diana Canova & Tess Wass

by Anonymousreply 368May 21, 2021 2:01 PM

"S&M version: They're Flaying Our Songzzzzzzz"

Sorry, that title is already taken

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369May 21, 2021 6:09 PM

They're Spaying My Dog

by Anonymousreply 370May 21, 2021 6:14 PM

Lauren Bacall and Harry Guardino in "We're BRAY-ING this fucking Song!"

by Anonymousreply 371May 22, 2021 3:02 PM

r360 did "braying" already r371

by Anonymousreply 372May 22, 2021 3:40 PM

Isaac Powell (naked please) in They’re Wes Tay-Taying Our Song.

by Anonymousreply 373May 26, 2021 6:47 PM

You win, r373, You win.

by Anonymousreply 374May 26, 2021 9:44 PM

This is the commercial for the show at r373

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375May 27, 2021 4:01 PM

Giada de Laurentiis and Guy Fieri in "They're Sauteeing our Song"

by Anonymousreply 376May 31, 2021 12:52 PM

I was playing my "Daily Mix" from Spotify today, and noticed that the title song from the OBC of "TPOS" was grayed out for some reason. Does this means Spotify doesn't have access to it? Obviously it must have at one time or it wouldn't be in my Daily Mix.

by Anonymousreply 377May 31, 2021 9:47 PM

The Marvin Hamlisch estate is quite militant -- the widow is a bit much. My guess is they have something to do with it...

by Anonymousreply 378May 31, 2021 11:31 PM

God I miss the 70s...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379May 31, 2021 11:36 PM

Nureyev and Fonteyn in [italic]They're Balleting Our Song[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 380June 4, 2021 12:09 PM

Sutton and Borle in "They're Crocheting Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 381June 4, 2021 1:30 PM

Those Real Estate Brothers in "They're Parqueting Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 382June 4, 2021 1:34 PM

The cast of West Side Story in "They're Delaying Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 383June 5, 2021 12:02 AM

well played r383

by Anonymousreply 384June 5, 2021 12:56 AM

The cast of 70 Girls 70 in "They're Decaying Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 385June 7, 2021 12:23 AM

Siegfried and Roy in They’re Mandalay Baying Our Song.

by Anonymousreply 386June 7, 2021 3:35 AM

R386, please marry me

by Anonymousreply 387June 7, 2021 3:40 AM

The ghosts of Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine in "They're Manderleying Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 388June 7, 2021 5:29 AM

Sure thing, r387, and we can do this all day.

Secretariat and Ruffian in They're Neighing Our Song.

by Anonymousreply 389June 7, 2021 12:22 PM

Just what Broadway needs - a musical about race relations. Look for it to win many Tonys, especially for its felon producer. From The Times:

“Paradise Square,” a new musical that explores race relations in 19th-century New York, plans to open on Broadway next winter, making it the first previously unscheduled musical to step forward since the pandemic began.

The show, which has been reworked and in development for a decade, is about a long-gone slum in Lower Manhattan, Five Points, where, during the run-up to the Civil War, free Black residents and Irish immigrants coexisted until the draft riots of 1863.

“Paradise Square” is a comeback bid by a storied Canadian producer, Garth Drabinsky, who won three Tony Awards in the 1990s but then was convicted of fraud. He served time in a Canadian prison; charges in the United States were later dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 390June 8, 2021 6:22 PM

John, Paul, George, and Ringo in "They' Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Daying Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 391June 9, 2021 1:21 PM

Two U.N. Translators in "They're Conveying Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 392June 9, 2021 5:06 PM

Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick Sargent – or Dick York, doesn’t matter — in “They’re Mr. Bombaying Our Song.”

by Anonymousreply 393June 14, 2021 3:03 AM

Technically it would be "They're Dr. Bombaying Our Song" but this clarification doesn't negate the triumph of this one.

by Anonymousreply 394June 14, 2021 2:35 PM

Thanks r394. I swear I [italic]meant[/italic] "Dr." and didn't check before posting.

by Anonymousreply 395June 14, 2021 3:39 PM

Joe Frazier & Muhammad Ali in "They're Cassius Claying Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 396June 14, 2021 3:41 PM

These two in [italic]They're Anime-ing Our Song[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397June 14, 2021 4:19 PM

Ben & Jerry in "They're Sorbet-ing Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 398June 15, 2021 12:26 PM

The Delany sisters in "They're Crocheting Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 399June 19, 2021 1:00 PM

Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters in "South America Take It Awaying our Song."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400June 21, 2021 1:52 PM

Zack Weiner and his dominatrix in "They're Fifty Shades of Gray-ing Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 401June 21, 2021 3:40 PM

Fat Albert and Mushmouth in "They're Hey-Hey-Heying Our Song."

by Anonymousreply 402June 26, 2021 2:38 PM

Jordan Roth and Richie Jackson in They’re Lamé-ing Our Song”

by Anonymousreply 403June 28, 2021 6:07 PM

They're Claying My Dong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 28, 2021 6:14 PM

I love Stockard most of the time but she just ain't got the voice for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405August 8, 2021 12:47 PM

But she seems decent in these clips. And that title song always gets applause when it start, as if it's a real classic or hit song. What is that [italic]about[/italic]? (And the poster says Donna Murphy is on in the ensemble here.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406August 8, 2021 12:50 PM

Maybe Beanie Feldstein could do the revival? Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 407August 11, 2021 5:41 PM

WITH Ben Platt since they do everything (except THAT) together. They're the Lunt & Fontanne, the Tandy & Cronyn of the millennial set.

Just imagine: We just booked the Feldstein-Platt Theatre!

by Anonymousreply 408August 11, 2021 5:52 PM

I can't wait until they get to quogue.

by Anonymousreply 409August 12, 2021 1:27 PM

Still not in Quogue.

by Anonymousreply 410December 15, 2021 7:22 PM

Today is the anniversary of the day Tony Roberts stepped in as Vernon, in 1979. Happy Tony Roberts Day!!

by Anonymousreply 411December 17, 2021 12:57 PM

Love Tony!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 412December 17, 2021 3:51 PM

and his ginormous ears even before he got old

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413December 17, 2021 4:11 PM

Where are Sonia & Vernon spending the holidays? I'm sure they're boosted and very careful.

by Anonymousreply 414December 24, 2021 1:24 PM

Happy New Year from the Walsk-Gersches.

by Anonymousreply 415December 30, 2021 1:59 PM

This thread is the biggest embarrassment to DL which is saying something.

by Anonymousreply 416December 30, 2021 2:06 PM

say whatever you want r416, I still believe in love, dammit

by Anonymousreply 417December 30, 2021 2:19 PM

And after all the tears you’ve cried….

by Anonymousreply 418December 30, 2021 2:22 PM

My vibrato and I were robbed of a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 419December 30, 2021 2:26 PM

R4, Ethel Merman played to the audience in every show.

by Anonymousreply 420December 30, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote] Hence the friction.

They've seemed to be cool with each other over the years, reuniting and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 421December 30, 2021 5:22 PM

Me to this thread: Never gonna give you up

by Anonymousreply 422February 4, 2022 1:29 AM

Santino Fontana (not that I'm a huge fan but he'd be good in this) and Annaleigh Ashford

by Anonymousreply 423February 14, 2022 2:01 PM

Good heavens three days late but HAPPY 43rd ANNIVERSARY to our fav show!!!!!!! Dunno how I forgot. I guess right now my minds in such a mess I hardly know I’m here!

by Anonymousreply 424February 14, 2022 2:07 PM

yes thanks for being here r424, I still believe in YOU

by Anonymousreply 425February 14, 2022 2:13 PM

We all hate them both but Ben Platt and Beanie could do a charming revival

by Anonymousreply 426April 13, 2022 11:46 AM

He’s appropriately neurotic and shes wacky. And they should be forced to perform only with each other to spare others

by Anonymousreply 427April 13, 2022 11:49 AM

Beanie I TOLD you you should haven't done TPOS

by Anonymousreply 428April 25, 2022 7:48 PM

So...*both* They're Playing Our Song and the Funny Girl revival are...TPOS?

by Anonymousreply 429May 7, 2022 9:39 PM

If only Barbra had done it. She would have been a good fit for Neil Simon comedy and I Still Believe in Love could have been a hit single for her

by Anonymousreply 430May 8, 2022 1:16 AM

Opposite...who, r430?

by Anonymousreply 431May 8, 2022 3:03 AM

Paul Williams?

by Anonymousreply 432May 8, 2022 3:05 AM

Robert Klein

by Anonymousreply 433May 8, 2022 11:48 AM
by Anonymousreply 434October 23, 2023 11:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!