Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar Season 2020-2021, Part 2

Awards season begins to solidify after critics groups gave our their prizes last month. Can any movie beat Nomadland? How many movies will Netflix push for Best Picture? Can two women actually earn nominations for Best Director in one year? Can anyone even pretend to care about the Supporting Actor race this year?

Continue the discussion of Frances, Viola, Carey, Chadwick, Delroy and more.

by Anonymousreply 562March 22, 2021 4:36 AM

I hope Sound of Metal does well in the nominations, especially for Ahmed and Raci. I thought it was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2021 12:51 AM

I've never found Viola sexier than as Ma Bottoms

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2021 12:52 AM

Ma’s black bottom should have been a 1 hour special. Maybe an after school special.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2021 1:09 AM

R1, I actually considered asking if Sound of Metal is a stronger contender than anyone anticipated in the original post. I hope it is, and think Riz probably gets in while Paul Raci is a possibility.

My crazy pre-nomination prediction is that it will win Best Sound.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2021 1:12 AM

I will be watching The Mauritanian this weekend and will report back on Jodie's chances.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2021 1:16 AM

My DL is being screwy again and my post appeared on three of my WATCHED threads. Apologies

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2021 1:17 AM

I have to remember to add Mank to my watch list. Looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2021 2:03 AM

OMG, it's so nice to have this thread moving smoothly. I blocked the loon and he posted so many times in the first one that it barely moved.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2021 5:33 AM

R7 Be warned. Mank is exquisitely filmed in black and white. That's one reason I was desperate to see it after its debut on Netflix, and I finally got the chance, courtesy of a friend. But I have to say I was disappointed. The acting is almost uniformly fine, but there are endless monologues from Gary Oldman as Mank and they didn't add up to much. But maybe that's what the screenwriter had in mind as he unspooled the story of an inveterate drunk. The film starts very, very slowly and I didn't mind because the art direction is so well-conceived, but I kept waiting for things to happen. And I wanted more from Charles Dance as William Randolph Hearst. Before I dismiss it entirely as a failed effort, I plan to watch it a second time. For grins, I read the reviews from star critics on Rotten Tomatoes and was surprised by the number who felt completely let down.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2021 5:57 AM

I know it's not figuring in to any awards talk, but I watched "I Am Woman" yesterday. Very standard biopic stuff, but the actress who played Helen Reddy (Tilda Cobham-Hervey) was just outstanding. I'd love to see her remembered at least in the "musical/comedy" actress category at the GGs.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2021 7:15 AM

I'm very disappointed Carey doesn't flash her lovely bosom in PYW.

Has Glenn won any critics awards?

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2021 12:36 PM

Promising Young Woman is my favorite movie of the year so far and I hope Carey Mulligan wins. She is fantastic in it.

Loved Bo Burnham too.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2021 2:56 PM

Promising Young Woman is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2021 3:09 PM

To the poster from the earlier thread who claims Meryl has no competition for the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy-you obviously haven’t seen Rachel McAdams in Eurovision.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2021 11:10 PM

Neither has anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2021 5:26 AM

What I've seen so far:

Pieces of a Woman: Pass. Kirby was great in the intro, but who cares after.

On the Rocks: Really, really wanted to love it. But it just had no magic. It felt dated.

Sound of Metal: Loved it.

Ma Rainey's: Sorry. Feels like an amalgamation of about ten recent films. It's no one's fault. Just that the subject material has been saturated of late.

Mank: It took me two tries to get through it, but I ended up enjoying it immensely.

A bunch still left to see, but Promising Young Woman and Nomadland are next up...

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2021 6:42 AM

The Trial of the Chicago 7 just won Best Picture by the Denver Film Critics Circle.. On that path to Oscar glory!

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2021 11:04 PM

I think that I may be the only Pieces Of A Woman fan here.

I thought at it was brilliant film, Very European, Bergmanesque.

I though that Kirby was superb. Fuck, I thought that Shia was wonderful also. I truly hope that Kirby and Burstyn get nominations- they are more than deserving.

Very moving, dream like film...

Anyway-

Hated Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

Mank was stank.

And I hope that Delroy wins, he deserves it.

And I know once I see Promising Young Woman, that will be my favorite film. I can already tell.

I cannot wait to see Nomadland as well..

And I plan on watching Sound Of Metal this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 18January 20, 2021 2:31 AM

I loved PIECES OF A WOMAN and didn't mind the tangent it took off into when it became a legal drama. Kirby and Burstyn were fantastic. The family gathering scene was incredible.

MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM was decent with very strong performances, but I hate play adaptations that are filmed like they are plays. Which is why I liked ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI better. Actually, I downright loved ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI.

Really enjoyed MANK once I sat down to dig into it. It took me two attempts. I think Gary Oldman is infinitely better in this than THE DARKEST HOUR and TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY.

DA 5 BLOODS was interesting. I like that Spike Lee doesn't seem to take himself too seriously anymore. But while he is a great director, his writing is still piss. Thankfully he has actors that can elevate the material.

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN and NOMADLAND couldn't be any different if it tries, but I loved the both and I really find it hard to choose between the performances of McDormand and Mulligan.

SOUND OF METAL is very good, Riz Ahmed is just good, but his costar Paul Raci is excellent.

Variety has rolled out their lineup for Actors on Actors, which is largely those in awards season contention. They have Jamie Dornan paired up with Eddie Redmayne. Who is seriously thinking Wild Mountain Thyme could be up for anything? Even the Hollywood Foreign Press can't possibly nominate that dreck.

I'm surprised at the lack of talk about Tom Hanks. NEWS OF THE WORLD is a great film and he's wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2021 8:03 PM

I loved Promising Young Woman, and Carey deserves a nomination.

It will be your favorite, R18. I was forced, kicking, to watch it, and it was my personal favorite of the annus horribilis .

by Anonymousreply 20January 20, 2021 8:06 PM

Could Promising Young Woman actually get a Best Picture nomination? Nomadland, Mank, Minari, The Father, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, The Trial of the Chicago 7 and One Night in Miami all look like they'll probably get in, but that's only seven, and since the expansion the Academy has never nominated fewer than eight.

Da 5 Bloods might be a possibility, but that list already has three films with primarily Black casts, and three films distributed by Netflix. Even for this particular Oscar season, I can't see the Academy going for any more than that.

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2021 8:33 PM

I don't think it's that crazy R1. Didn't Whiplash do well in some of the tech categories as well?

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2021 9:07 PM

Promising Young Woman is winning everything.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2021 9:09 PM

shocking, so many movies are about women and blacks..what a surprise..about strong women

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2021 9:12 PM

Yeah, remember the good all days when all movies were about white men...about strong men?

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2021 9:42 PM

Delroy, come to momma...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2021 9:44 PM

R25 so tell me, which year most movies nominated to oscars were about men? Anyway, men are more interesting, women are boring

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2021 9:47 PM

R27 Biggest lie couldn't be spoken. And this is coming from a gay. Most men are boring, simplistic creatures.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2021 9:50 PM

R27 Almost every year, since the beginning of the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2021 9:50 PM

Was Halle Berry coming out with that statement supposed to give Viola a boost? The whole thing reeked of an engineered PR stunt.

I love Viola as an actress, but she's verging into Kate Winslet and Anne Hathaway territory this year and it's becoming a major turn off. Begging for an Oscar is just vulgar, especially in this current environment.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2021 9:51 PM

R28 I meant in movies. The best movies are about men and with men, mostly

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2021 10:05 PM

R27 you couldn't be more wrong. Any writer will tell you that woman are more interesting to write because they have so much more emotional complexities to play with. Men are like bass guitars. They're good for a keeping rhythm. Woman are the rest of the band.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2021 10:13 PM

R31 Maybe cause 95% of movie were about men???

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2021 10:18 PM

WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK!?

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2021 10:21 PM

R32 no way....they are emotional because they have PMS

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2021 10:32 PM

[quote]Could Promising Young Woman actually get a Best Picture nomination? Nomadland, Mank, Minari, The Father, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, The Trial of the Chicago 7 and One Night in Miami all look like they'll probably get in, but that's only seven, and since the expansion the Academy has never nominated fewer than eight.

First Cow was the critical darling before Nomadland came on the scene. For some reason, Charlie Kaufman's I'm Thinking of Ending Things has also ended up in Best Picture contention in critics circles.

I think Paul Greengrass' News of the World deserves a Best Picture nod. Solid filmmaking and performances.

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2021 10:36 PM

First Cow might be a possibility, but I don't see Netflix even mounting a serious campaign for Kaufman's movie, especially since they have so many more likely contenders. Kaufman's always been a critical darling, but aside from that Anomalisa nomination for Animated Feature a few years ago, it feels like the Academy is done with him.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2021 10:55 PM

So many of these films (like First Cow) scream INDEPENDENT FILM SPIRIT AWARD, not OSCAR. Come on, already.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2021 11:17 PM

First Cow is definitely more of an Indie Spirit than an Oscar thing, but it's managed to stay in the conversation a lot longer than I expected, especially for a Kelly Reichardt film. It's a longshot, but I can't rule it out completely.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2021 11:37 PM

The 2020 box office was largely dependent on indies thanks to A24, Focus Features and IFC Films, so unless the Academy wants to suck the toes of Netflix or Amazon, they voters will have to deal with an indie heavy nomination slate.

Or they can put up TENET even though it was incomprehensible - and I'm saying that as a Nolanite.

The times are so desperate that Ben Affleck is being pushed for Best Actor for THE WAY BACK.

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2021 11:37 PM

I know the Oscars hate horror, but could Elisabeth Moss be a dark horse? Great performance + box office success.

Then again, they didn't nominate Toni Collette...

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2021 11:53 PM

I have been trying to make it through Let Him Go, but I really fucking hate it. And Lesley Manville's ridiculous performance should win a Razzie. Man, the things I do for Diane Lane.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2021 7:31 AM

R42 You gay, bruh?

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2021 8:25 AM

Feinberg Forecast: The Lay of the Land a Week Before Oscar Shortlist Voting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2021 7:20 PM

I think Promising Young Woman has a much better chance of a Best Picture slot than something like Ma Rainey’s (which is quite boring and is a much better prospect for acting nods).

An early surprise nomination for Bo Burnham will be an early indicator. Carey Mulligan is a done deal for a nomination and has a very good chance of winning.

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2021 9:25 PM

Does Viola snotter-cry again? It’s so attractive.

by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2021 10:38 PM

Even if theaters were open, very few of these movies would be ones people would pay to go see. Boring list of movies.

by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2021 10:40 PM

r41 Lupita couldn't get in last year for horror either so I'm saying no on Moss.

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2021 8:03 AM

I’m almost sure the Viola Hating Troll and The Lange Hating Troll are one and the same.

Muriel, please.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2021 4:06 PM

Vulture's latest Oscar predictions. I think this bursts the Zendaya bubble, because even if she escapes unscathed, the reviews for Malcolm & Marie make it seem excruciating. I doubt many people are going to put on a pretentious drama made under lockdown restrictions just because they hear Spider-Man's girlfriend is pretty good in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2021 7:48 PM

The Mauritanian was awful and Jodie has no chance at a nomination. Painfully bad script. Messy dreck of a movie full of confusing flashbacks, wannabe zinger dialogue that never lands and laughably executed editing in every way.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2021 5:16 AM

Is it my imagination of did we see that Kirby girl's front bum during the labor scenes in Piece Of A Woman?

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2021 9:59 AM

I'm a little disappointed, R51, because I would have liked to see Jodie Foster have an Oscar comeback, but it probably shouldn't be a surprise. Nearly every serious drama about the War on Terror was a critical and commercial failure, and that was when people actually cared about it.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2021 4:20 PM

R52..yes you see it. You also see a protruding vagina ready to pop and Shia's bum and cock tip.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2021 4:52 PM

Who knew Olivia Colman would become such a fad? Previously promised as her second Oscar, her repetitive performance in The Father was completely ignored by critics' awards, not even nominations. Certainly she will be nominated at the televised awards, but the victory promised by her stans is far from happening...

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2021 5:16 PM

Good. Olivia didn't do shit in The Father and deserves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2021 5:21 PM

Olivia Colman is overrated and a one-note performer.

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2021 5:24 PM

I don't know who the person was who was RAVING over Let Them All Talk in the last thread, but jesus, what a piece of fucking shit. I cannot imagine what drew any of those people to that script, from Soderbergh to all the actresses and Hedges. There's NOTHING there and the nothing is done in the most uninteresting way. Is this basically what movies have become? And the raves for this thing? Are people just afraid to tell it like it is anymore?

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2021 5:25 PM

The Oscars no longer count for anything and the show's ratings have been dropping and most of the people interested in the Oscars treat it like a horse race. They aren't talking about a film's quality but rather what the odds are and who will be snubbed and why. People probably remember that JLO was "snubbed" last year in Best Supporting Actress but probably would have a hard time remembering who actually won! This year with so many theaters closed, I feel interest is at an all time low.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2021 5:34 PM

The Kansas City Film Critics named their winners today.

BEST FILM - (tie) Nomadland and Promising Young Woman

BEST DIRECTOR -Chloe Zhao (Nomadland)

BEST ACTOR - Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

BEST ACTRESS -Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR -Leslie Odom Jr. (One Night in Miami)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Youn Yuh-Jung (Minari)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - Promising Young Woman

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - Nomadland

BEST SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY/HORROR FILM - The Invisible Man

BEST LGBT FILM – Kajillionaire

BEST FOREIGN FILM - Another Round (Druk)

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2021 8:38 PM

The Promising Young Woman surge is really surprising. In the past week or so it's gone from a fringe contender that would probably get Actress and Screenplay nominations to a legitimate player in the race. The Kansas City Film Critics don't usually stray too far from Academy taste, so a win there alongside the race's undisputed front-runner shows real strength.

I really liked One Night in Miami, but I feel like all the attention for Odom is just because people really love Hamilton, not because he's such a standout in the movie. All four actors are really good, but it probably feels safer to award Odom than the others.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2021 9:10 PM

Is Kajillionaire actually an LGBT film or did Miranda July once call herself queer a la Tilda Swinton? I can't be bothered to watch it because I fucking hate her movies.

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2021 9:10 PM

It’s going to be hilarious at how much the Golden Globe and SAG Award nominations will totally diss the winners of these Critics Awards.

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]I really liked One Night in Miami, but I feel like all the attention for Odom is just because people really love Hamilton, not because he's such a standout in the movie. All four actors are really good, but it probably feels safer to award Odom than the others.

Other than Odom is more of a name, I don't get him winning in these circles. The entire cast was wonderful, but Kingsley Ben-Adir and Aldis Hodge were infinitely more entertaining and captivating than Odom.

[quote]Is Kajillionaire actually an LGBT film or did Miranda July once call herself queer a la Tilda Swinton? I

I know Evan Rachel Wood and Gina Rodriguez kiss in the film. I guess that counts to the Kansas City Film Critics.

by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2021 11:04 PM

Odom is being severely overrated in One Night in Miami. Frank Langella will get nominated for The Trial of the Chicago 7 over him.

by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2021 11:18 PM

I think the Chicago 7 cast member most likely to be nominated is Sacha Baron Cohen. It’s a bigger role with more of an arc, and it’ll be his reward for humiliating Giuliani.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2021 12:33 AM

I have suffered! I deserve that Oscar. And my initials spell VD. If that ain't oppression I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2021 7:14 AM

AFI Movies of the Year:

Da 5 Bloods

Judas and the Black Messiah

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Mank

Minari

Nomadland

One Night in Miami

Soul

Sound of Metal

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2021 7:49 PM

If you take out SOUL and replace it with PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN, AFI's list isn't bad at all. Granted, I haven't seen JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH yet, but I've seen everything else.

They're very generous including DA 5 BLOODS because other than the performances, that film is nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2021 7:55 PM

gee, i wonder why they included it

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2021 8:03 PM

R62 It's a LGBT movie. And it's actually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2021 9:35 AM

Film Independent Spirit Awards nominations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2021 4:22 PM

The National Board of Review lists their winners.

Best Film: DA 5 BLOODS

Best Director: Spike Lee, DA 5 BLOODS

Best Actor: Riz Ahmed, SOUND OF METAL

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN

Best Supporting Actor: Paul Raci, SOUND OF METAL

Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, MINARI

Best Adapted Screenplay: Paul Greengrass & Luke Davies, NEWS OF THE WORLD

Best Original Screenplay: Lee Isaac Chung, MINARI

Breakthrough Performance: Sidney Flanigan, NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS

Best Directorial Debut: Channing Godfrey Peoples, MISS JUNETEENTH

Best Animated Feature: SOUL

Best Foreign Language Film: LA LLORONA

Best Documentary: TIME

NBR Icon Award: Chadwick Boseman

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI

NBR Spotlight Award: Radha Blank for writing, directing, producing and starring in THE FORTY-YEAR-OLD VERSION

Best Ensemble: DA 5 BLOODS

Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography: Joshua James Richards, NOMADLAND

by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2021 5:16 PM

Jesus, the NAB went full reparations this year.

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2021 5:52 PM

It's going to be a very good year for black actors at the Oscars (and in most cases, deservingly), but I think there's going to be a rude awakening when people realize on nomination morning that there are still a ton of old white guys in the Academy who still think that veterans like Gary Oldman and Tom Hanks are great, and no amount of shouting on Twitter will make them think otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 75January 26, 2021 7:25 PM

The New York Film Critics Online named their winners. There's two ties in their winners' list.

Best Picture: MINARI

Best Director: Chloé Zhao, “Nomadland”

Best Actor: Riz Ahmed, “Sound of Metal”

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”

Best Supporting Actor: Leslie Odom Jr, “One Night in Miami”

Best Supporting Actress: Ellen Burstyn, “Pieces of a Woman” and Yuh-Jung Youn, “Minari” – *TIE*

Best Screenplay: “Promising Young Woman” – Emerald Fennell

Best Animated Feature: “Soul”

Best Cinematography: “Nomadland” – Joshua James Richards

Best Use of Music: “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” – Brandon Marsalis

Best Documentary Feature: “The Way I See It”

Best Foreign Language: “Minari”

Best Debut Director: Emerald Fennell, “Promising Young Woman”

Breakthrough Performer: Kingsley Ben-Adir, “One Night in Miami” and Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” – *TIE*

Best Ensemble Cast: “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

by Anonymousreply 76January 26, 2021 11:33 PM

“Never Rarely Sometimes Always” didn’t have good performances. I don’t even know what you’d call the dour, grungy, documentary like (but also lifeless) ‘performances’ from the non-actress girls in the film.

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2021 8:46 AM

If Langella is nominated the old farts who vote for the SAG, the GGs and the Oscars will vote for him over Odom or anyone in Judas and the Black Bottom.

by Anonymousreply 78January 27, 2021 4:10 PM

Oh, hell to the NO, NYFCC. I demand a recount.

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2021 5:46 PM

Naomi Watts is absolutely wonderful in Penguin Bloom.

by Anonymousreply 80January 27, 2021 5:54 PM

I would love to see Frank Langella win an Oscar. He deserves an honorary one for sure. Fifty years in film giving amazing performances. He certainly did more memorable work than Cicely Fucking Tyson.

by Anonymousreply 81January 27, 2021 6:09 PM

R81, it will be particularly memorable this year because Anthony Hopkins might also win an Oscar for The Father, which happens to be based on a play in which Langella starred on Broadway and won him the Tony Award for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 82January 27, 2021 6:36 PM

Love Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2021 6:43 PM

Frank Langella troll

by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2021 7:01 PM

God, Jessica Lange is ugly with the surgery and corrective surgery. She knows it, too, and it’s what made her into the go-to horror bitch or bitch in general.

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2021 7:03 PM

Jessica Lange doesn’t even have any recent TV shows. GTFOH with her. I swear, obsessions with her, Streep, Glenn close, such bores.

by Anonymousreply 86January 27, 2021 7:05 PM

One Night In Miami is absolutely nothing special. Bad dialogue, uneven performances that all mirrored each other (laugh, shout , cry, laugh, shout cry) going from serious to fake laughter and actory reactions to anger. And the staginess good fuck..hotel room, outside, hotel room, roof, phone booth, hotel room. Gees. It wasn't awful but the exaggerated praise is obscene. And don't even get me started on Ali jumping from one bed to another though a monologue. Sweet Jesus Reggie..

by Anonymousreply 87January 28, 2021 3:57 AM

The Lange/Viola Hating Troll is such a sad, feckless churl 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 28, 2021 4:25 AM

Amanda Seyfried is not going to win an Oscar. Too unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 89January 29, 2021 3:22 PM

The trouble is that I can't see any of the other front-runners in Supporting Actress as the winner. Maria Bakalova or Youn Yuh-Jung don't seem to fit the mold of an Oscar winner, and it doesn't seem likely that Ellen Burstyn or Olivia Colman would earn a second Oscar for their performances, either.

Seyfried makes the most sense, by default.

by Anonymousreply 90January 29, 2021 4:07 PM

I can see Youn Yuh-Jung as a winner. The movie is very well told and she is so winning and charming that it's a performance that can catch on. I don't see the Borat girl pulling it off, agree about Olivia and Ellen and I was sort of underwhelmed by Amanda. She seemed like she was trying to create a "character" not a real person. And she's unlikeable. Also, hope the little boy from Minari picks up a surprise nomination.

by Anonymousreply 91January 29, 2021 4:18 PM

This is going to be the worst Oscars ever. Nobody's seen these movies.

by Anonymousreply 92January 29, 2021 4:21 PM

The four best movies I saw (with my verbose reviews):

Lover’s Rock – a London house party in 1980 creates a universe that perhaps never existed, but if not, should have, and whose energy and love for living is needed now. McQueen, the dour and stark purveyor of man’s suffering, tracks through one long night, with all the life’s threats in tact (racist neighbors and oppressive economics, organized religion’s distrust of joy, outcasts and violent angry, sexual attacks), but it’s a night where the ecstatic survives and delivers. “Family” transcends the familiar. Seeing the group of dancers perfectly sing Janet Kay’s “Silly Games”, after the music stops fills up any heart. A mood piece, a memory piece, an absolutely perfect 68 minutes.

A White, White Day – An atmospheric report on marital fidelity, mortality, grief, revenge, psychological and carnal violence, familial bonding, and really cool house remodeling. Small town/rural Iceland might suggest open lonely landscapes, stark terrain, and… weather as a character itself. It is, but visually and the actors’ performances quietly reveal how we live in both isolation and agonizing connections.

Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets – Is a documentary? Is it a fake? Is it exploitive of the alcoholics having several too many drinks more than prudence would allow? Do your lungs feel raw from the constant cigarette smoke? Are you manipulated at the “actors’” expense? Is either bartender named Prudence? (well, no on this last question). The cramped and cluttered bar in New Orleans (apparently really in New Orleans) is the stage for performance art for some genuinely drunk hard core alkies, taking loving care of each other until they don’t, eventually looking like they can’t take care of themselves… as usual.

The Assistant – The me-too dark “problem” that is the moral core of this, is not too heavy-handed and does, effectively, scare the viewer with the toxic power of the still-dominating Patriarchy. But it is the claustrophobic offices, and soul-killing boredom of “work” duties that takes the air out of the room – even in the exceptional business sector of the film biz (where in addition to suffering papercuts on the fingers, the assistant needs to appropriately dispose of the boss’s used syringes).

by Anonymousreply 93January 29, 2021 4:39 PM

I love Regina King but that movie is being graded on a curve. It's ok but it's not even good.

by Anonymousreply 94January 29, 2021 4:45 PM

The trouble with Youn Yuh-Jung, R91, is that it's still an industry award. It's been a long time since the Academy gave an acting Oscar to someone who hasn't really had a Hollywood career before and almost certainly won't have much of one afterward.

And in the two most obvious cases where that happened, it was because both actors narrowly survived actual warfare.

by Anonymousreply 95January 29, 2021 4:57 PM

[quote] This is going to be the worst Oscars ever. Nobody wants to see these movies.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 96January 29, 2021 7:19 PM

How will the ceremony take place, considering the Coronavirus

by Anonymousreply 97January 29, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]It's been a long time since the Academy gave an acting Oscar to someone who hasn't really had a Hollywood career before and almost certainly won't have much of one afterward.

I think the most recent example might be Alicia Vikander, who won supporting for "The Danish Girl." I don't think many people had ever heard of her before that film, though I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 98January 29, 2021 9:52 PM

Vikander is a different case, R98. Everyone expected her to be the next big thing after Ex Machina and The Danish Girl. She was a a young, hot actress with a lot of promise. She was a case where the Oscar was an investment in new talent, it's just that so far that investment hasn't paid off.

Youn Yuh-Jung is in her seventies and Minari is the closest thing she's done to a Hollywood film. It's not just that she was an unknown here before Minari, it's that there's no reasonable path for a career for her in Hollywood after Minari, even by character actress standards.

by Anonymousreply 99January 29, 2021 11:00 PM

Word in Hollywood is that Carey Mulligan is going to give Frances McDormand a run for her money in the Best Actress category. Many people think Carey deserves it over giving Frances a record-setting third Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 100January 29, 2021 11:04 PM

Mulligan is my favorite of the ones I've seen so far. I haven't worked up the energy to watch Viola yet because she exhausts me. But its one of the last ones I have left.

by Anonymousreply 101January 29, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]How will the ceremony take place, considering the Coronavirus

I would rather the Academy follow in the steps of the BAFTA TV awards rather than the Emmys and European Film Awards. The Emmys had people with statutes at the nominees (U.S based) homes in Hazmat suits for if they won. European Film Awards didn't give out the trophies, but had all the nominees virtually and proceeded like any awards show.

The BAFTA TV awards wisely had all the nominees record a thank you and submit it ahead of time so that if they did win, they aired their speech. That's less fuss for everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 102January 29, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] Youn Yuh-Jung is in her seventies and Minari is the closest thing she's done to a Hollywood film. It's not just that she was an unknown here before Minari, it's that there's no reasonable path for a career for her in Hollywood after Minari, even by character actress standards.

I think she's got a good shot because last year the cast of Parasite was snubbed for nominations, as was the wonderful Shuzhen Zhao for The Farewell, who should have won the Oscar for Supporting Actress and wasn't even nominated. I have a feeling this will be the year all the "wrongs" are righted.

by Anonymousreply 103January 29, 2021 11:32 PM

I liked someone's idea earlier in the season on DL to have the ceremony at the Hollywood Bowl. There's plenty of room to social distance and it could make for something different the telecast has needed to regain interest. I thought the Emmys were embarrassing. Either that or keep them at the Dolby and only have nominees, presenters and one guest as to remain socially distant. It's a good time to try something different because people are just looking to see more live events that they are used to when everything else has been modified or postponed altogether.

by Anonymousreply 104January 29, 2021 11:39 PM

I was completely surprised by Promising Young Woman. I knew only the vaguest outlines (feminist revenge movie), but what a blast! Smart script, beautifully acted, riveting pace , kept me guessing every step of the way. I had no idea where it was going at any point, but couldn't wait to find out.

First Cow was charming, but slow and minor....Odd choice for Oscar (but it's an odd year).

I was totally underwhelmed by Ma Rainey -- very little about her, and very much about straight men who can't control their egos and anger.

Lovers Rock isn't eligible for Oscar (somehow it counts as tv, even though everything else has been on tv), but was my favorite movie of the year. Pure joy, unlike anything I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 105January 29, 2021 11:47 PM

Vikander sucked Weinteins dick, thats why she got an oscar.

by Anonymousreply 106January 29, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote] Either that or keep them at the Dolby and only have nominees, presenters and one guest as to remain socially distant.

I like this idea. The Dolby is spacious enough for the nominees, a plus one and the presenters could spread out. I think they would want to still do something celebratory but virtual ceremonies have all the appeal of a Zoom call, despite how much effort is put into it.

[quote]First Cow was charming, but slow and minor....Odd choice for Oscar (but it's an odd year).

First Cow is still hanging in there, but it was lauded early in the season before stronger films were released. Now it's being relegated to the back burner.

I don't understand how Steve McQueen's collection of films got so far in the film critics circles. I contend it is episodic as Small Axe is a collection of five films. It's been nominated for the Critics Choice awards in the Limited Series category, which is fitting.

The question is whether any of the Small Axe films were slated for a theatrical release. Netflix and Amazon does release some films theatrically, which makes their films eligible.

by Anonymousreply 107January 29, 2021 11:59 PM

Feinberg Forecast: The Landscape Heading In to Oscar Shortlist Voting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 30, 2021 2:57 AM

Lovers Rock was the best thing I saw this year. Nothing even close.

by Anonymousreply 109January 30, 2021 3:10 AM

For anyone interested, THR has published the screenplay for "Malcolm & Marie":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 30, 2021 3:53 AM

No one is interested.

by Anonymousreply 111January 30, 2021 6:02 PM

I'm just assuming that Malcolm & Marie is unwatchable because it was shot under lockdown, and every other movie made under those conditions has been terrible (Songbird, Locked Down).

I swear, after this year I never want to see another movie where no more than two people can be in the same room again or, even worse, where anyone interacts over Zoom. I want the next few Best Pictures to be epics so grand they make Ben-Hur look intimate.

by Anonymousreply 112January 30, 2021 6:26 PM

Every time I see Malcolm and Marie mentioned in print I think of Eddie Murphy as Gumby on SNL exclaiming “DONNY AND MARIE!” I’m funny that way.

by Anonymousreply 113January 31, 2021 12:26 AM

Why has there not been a bigger push for Hilary Swank's comedic masterpiece in Fatale?

by Anonymousreply 114February 1, 2021 2:55 AM

Riz Ahmed was excellent in Sound Of Metal, but sometimes he has a problem with American accents.

His accent in The Night Of series was spot on, perhaps because he stayed in the Queens NY accent off the set. That shoot took about 8 months. His American accent was terrible in VENOM and also in Jason Bourne.

He's great with UK dialects and his Pakistani accent in The Reluctant Fundamentalist was good, as was his California accent in Nightcrawler. I didn't quite understand why his Paul-Louis character in GIRLS had a California surfer dude accent, his character was from Detroit!

Not sure how long SOM took to film. To portray Ruben, Riz prepared for nearly a year. He stayed in Brooklyn, learned to sign, took drum lessons, got in shape and spent time with an acting coach.

Similar to what DeNiro used to do, Riz really commits to his characters. Because of that, he can be quite difficult on the sets of his films and TV series.

by Anonymousreply 115February 1, 2021 3:17 AM

He's also woke to a fault.

by Anonymousreply 116February 1, 2021 3:51 AM

R114 Because your own film Hope Gap failed so miserably.

by Anonymousreply 117February 1, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote]He's also woke to a fault.

Who?

by Anonymousreply 118February 1, 2021 8:58 AM

Asian actors rarely win Oscars. Youn Yuh-Jung will win Supporting.

No one cares about Seyfried or Mank enough at this stage.

by Anonymousreply 119February 1, 2021 11:19 AM

R105, PYW is a G Rated slapstick compared to Violation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 1, 2021 11:24 AM

Never heard of any of these movies.

by Anonymousreply 121February 1, 2021 6:03 PM

Exactly, R121. Very few, if any of thrm, will be nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 122February 1, 2021 6:49 PM

Promising Young Woman is entered as a drama for the Golden Globes

by Anonymousreply 123February 2, 2021 3:10 AM

So who's the biggest snub at the Globes today? Delroy Lindo is a pretty big omission, and it's shocking that Youn Yuh-Jung couldn't make the Supporting Actress field , even though the other critical favorite (Maria Bakalova) was slotted in Lead.

And for all the press about how everyone was going to go full woke this awards season, the Foreign Press nominated the five whitest front-runners in Best Drama, although the Directing nomination for Regina King suggests that One Night in Miami probably got pretty close.

by Anonymousreply 124February 3, 2021 6:21 PM

Regina King is a fucking joke. This has been a publicist's doing for the past year and a half. That movie is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 125February 3, 2021 6:30 PM

I loved One Night in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 126February 3, 2021 6:32 PM

R125. It was ridiculous. It has no business getting any nominations. All the performances are nearly exactly the same.

by Anonymousreply 127February 3, 2021 6:32 PM

I don't think Regina King will get in at the Oscars, at least. They added so many international members who have zero interest in awarding actors turned directors, and there isn't much visual style to One Night in Miami.

The only director this year who really knew how to make a play work as a movie was Florian Zeller, but since he's not a celebrity of course the Globes knocked him out for King.

by Anonymousreply 128February 3, 2021 7:00 PM

G got a Globe nod and M didn’t...

😂

by Anonymousreply 129February 3, 2021 7:16 PM

Watch me sweep the awards this year, baby. I DESERVE every award. It is MY turn!

Gotta tweet Meryl and pretend that I am disappointed she did not get nominated. Hate having to pretend to be friends with that New Jersey bitch.

by Anonymousreply 130February 3, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]I don't think Regina King will get in at the Oscars, at least. They added so many international members who have zero interest in awarding actors turned directors, and there isn't much visual style to One Night in Miami.

Her film or as director? The Best Director category is peer voting so only the Directors branch votes in that and surely that body is mostly white men of a certain age. I think she has a hurdle ahead of her in that category.

by Anonymousreply 131February 4, 2021 3:59 AM

What kind of gown should Glenn wear to the Oscars this year? She wore the stunning gold dress last year, so it needs to be something equally dramatic. Unlike Meryl, she still has a girlish figure and should wear something sexy to show it off.

by Anonymousreply 132February 4, 2021 4:05 AM

R131, as Director. I think One Night in Miami is relatively safe for a Best Picture nomination. And I don’t think King won’t get in because of old white guys. It’s that the Academy has invited a ton of foreign art house types, the kind who voted for Pawel Pawlikowski over Bradley Cooper and Peter Farrelly.

If anything, the geriatric members of the director’s branch are more likely to enjoy something as basic as One Night in Miami, regardless of race.

by Anonymousreply 133February 4, 2021 4:46 AM

I'm all for Chloe Zhao being nominated, even though I don't think she deserves it for Nomadland, because I thought she more than deserved it for The Rider. But Regina King's work is just nothing. And she's become really smug and self important, which is funny because the more celebrated she's become, the less her work impresses me.

by Anonymousreply 134February 4, 2021 7:30 AM

BAFTA Unveils 2021 Film Awards Longlists for All Categories:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 4, 2021 2:53 PM

2021 SAG Awards Nominations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 4, 2021 4:02 PM

The HFPA takes cash and gifts in exchange for nominations and wins. They are a joke. It's very telling that the films that did well at the GG (Mank, for instance) didn't do very well at all with SAG. Seyfried couldn't even get name-checked into that top five? LMAO.

It's very obvious who bought GG nominations.

by Anonymousreply 137February 4, 2021 4:05 PM

From looking at how the last two days transpired I think the Oscar race may now stand at:

Best Actor: LOCKS Ahmed Boseman Hopkins CONTENDING Lindo - probably out Oldman Yeun

Best Actress: LOCKS Davis Kirby McDormand Mulligan CONTENDING Adams Day Zendaya

Best Supporting Actor: LOCKS Cohen Kaluuya Odom CONTENDING Boseman Leto Kim- still think he can be one of those long shot noms that only gets the Oscar nod Raci - same as above comment

Best Supporting Actress: LOCKS Bakalova Colman Yuh-Jung - movie didn't qualify for GG acting noms Zengel CONTENDING Burstyn - probably out Close - I could see her getting the lesser noms and Hillbilly Elegy no be taken serious by Oscars Foster

by Anonymousreply 138February 4, 2021 4:28 PM

Please, hopkins win this..boseman was for from outstanding

by Anonymousreply 139February 4, 2021 4:45 PM

*far from

by Anonymousreply 140February 4, 2021 4:46 PM

Why would you think that Close is out, after she earned the two most important precursors for the Oscar, with only one left (BAFTA) left to go, R138? Critics were never going to go for Hillbilly Elegy, but Oscar voters have always gone for that type of obvious, larger-than-life redneck drag act.

Remaining in the conversation while critics elevated their favorites was always going to be the tough part for Glenn. Now that she has, she is in a very good position today, certainly better than Ellen Burstyn.

by Anonymousreply 141February 4, 2021 4:56 PM

Please, Lindo win this. He was better than ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 142February 4, 2021 5:08 PM

Why is Jared Leto in awards contention?

by Anonymousreply 143February 4, 2021 5:29 PM

Daniel Kaluuya is going to wind getting a 2nd undeserved oscar nomination in 4 years. That guy is a fucking horrible actor. I don't get the love for him.

by Anonymousreply 144February 4, 2021 5:38 PM

Oh, I disagree. I love Daniel Kaluuya. He is a total star. Sexy AF too.

by Anonymousreply 145February 4, 2021 6:29 PM

The Trial of the Chicago 7 has now clearly established itself as the frontrunner for Best Picture.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 146February 4, 2021 6:36 PM

Oscar pundits will throw an absolute fit if Trial of the Chicago 7 wins Best Picture. In fact, expect a ton of articles in the next week or so about how Judas and the Black Messiah is a far superior film to Sorkin's movie.

It's not -- I think they're both really good -- but Trial of the Chicago 7 is such a white Boomer movie that it's destined to be this year's villain in the Best Picture race.

by Anonymousreply 147February 4, 2021 8:18 PM

How the fuck did G get nominated? Weren't the reviews for the movie and her performance terrible?

I have a feeling Boseman, Viola and Odom will win the Oscar for Actor, Actress and Supporting Actor. I hope V presents hole and flashes her titular black bottom in her acceptance speech, sexual woman that she is.

by Anonymousreply 148February 4, 2021 8:42 PM

Trial of the Chicago 7 is unfairly being lumped in with the awful, grossly dishonest film Green Book.

by Anonymousreply 149February 4, 2021 9:47 PM

R148 I think Glenn got good notices for her performance but they were buried in the lukewarm response to the movie. Amy was good too in a very unlikeable role.

Numerous actors have got Globe and SAG nominations but didn't carry the momentum to get an Oscar nod. Of the 2, Glenn is more likely to score her 8th nomination.

Question is, will she wear THAT gold dress again while she sits in her den being live streamed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 4, 2021 9:55 PM

Feinberg Forecast: First Post-Golden Globe and SAG Noms Reassessment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 6, 2021 1:41 AM

^Is that the fat little racist kid that just got out of jail in Wisconsin?

by Anonymousreply 152February 6, 2021 1:46 AM

Has Carey Mulligan pulled ahead of Fran McD and Saint Vee or do we need to see what the Globes do?

by Anonymousreply 153February 6, 2021 2:46 AM

I think it’s Carey versus Viola. Fran just won, doesn’t care and Nomadland is fading. Both Carey and Viola want it, at least based on their appearances on the campaign circuit.

I’d put Carey above Viola, but that’s definitely colored by my love for PYW and hatred of Ma Rainey.

by Anonymousreply 154February 6, 2021 2:51 AM

Quilters! Let's revive Quilters.

by Anonymousreply 155February 6, 2021 2:57 AM

Promising Young Woman appears to be surging too. I agree that The Trial of the Chicago 7 is probably the frontrunner. It's got the most Best Picture type pedigree and it is actually a well done "movie". Like a better A Few Good Men courtroom drama with a great cast. But I would not be surprised if PRY takes over the top indie from Nomadland on nominations morning. I can see a director nod and potentially Bo Buhrnam in supporting. It's a tricky performance (having to be a romantic lead that does a strange shapeshift )and he could get swept in with a strong showing for the film.

by Anonymousreply 156February 6, 2021 3:08 AM

PTW*^

by Anonymousreply 157February 6, 2021 3:08 AM

Thirsty Viola is in trouble. It looks like it is Mulligan's year. The offbeat movie is also gaining word of mouth

by Anonymousreply 158February 6, 2021 5:40 AM

I actually am voting for Glenn in supporting. As I always say it has gotten really trashy in recent years. Melissa Leo, that reality show singer, AnnE, Harvey's Danish Girl, Patricia Arquette.

Glenn fits in what with her bad wig and all.

by Anonymousreply 159February 6, 2021 6:51 AM

[quote] Thirsty Viola is in trouble. It looks like it is Mulligan's year. The offbeat movie is also gaining word of mouth

Um, hello Jada? Listen, I need you to do me a favor, gurl. I need this Drew Carey bitch taken care of. That Oscar is MINE. You take care of her and I'ma bring up BLM, Miss Cicely, my suffering and my craft. Thanks gurl. I owe you my black bottom.

by Anonymousreply 160February 6, 2021 7:28 AM

Viola will win at The Globes and make her acceptance speech all about ME. It will be spectacular and clear the path for her to sweep the rest of the televised award shows.

by Anonymousreply 161February 6, 2021 11:22 AM

How can Nomadland be fading? It hasn’t even been released anywhere. Fran won’t campaign but if her performance is as good as people say, she’s still a front runner.

by Anonymousreply 162February 6, 2021 11:44 AM

I think Bakalova is winning Supporting. She gives a comedy performance in the vein of Mira Sorvino and Marisa Tomei. Plus, Hollywood will be excited to put another knife in Rudy G’s back.

by Anonymousreply 163February 6, 2021 11:49 AM

Nomadland is smartly sticking to a slower rollout. It’s a long time til April. Peaking now is a bad sign.

by Anonymousreply 164February 6, 2021 12:03 PM

[quote] Viola will win at The Globes and make her acceptance speech all about ME. It will be spectacular and clear the path for her to sweep the rest of the televised award shows.

Ooh, my speech will be about you, Auntie Cicely, but the award and the exceptional dedication to my luminous craft are all MINE! I am determined to be intense, dignified, somber, angry, sexual and fierce. The world MUST acknowledge my suffering and brilliant talent.

by Anonymousreply 165February 6, 2021 1:32 PM

OMG bitches, just imagine G losing to an obscure Ukranian actress! The humiliation!

by Anonymousreply 166February 6, 2021 1:37 PM

Glenn wont win for Hillbilly. I personally think she was too beautiful for the role of Meemaw and it distracted from the role.

by Anonymousreply 167February 6, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote]Glenn wont win for Hillbilly. I personally think she was awful, broad and histrionic, in the role of Meemaw

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 168February 6, 2021 3:54 PM

Viola better not disappoint with a perfect stank face when Mulligan is walking onstage.

by Anonymousreply 169February 7, 2021 1:12 AM

Borat is too crass for a lot of the Academy.

Eva Marie Saint is not going to vote for that kind of vulgarity.

by Anonymousreply 170February 7, 2021 3:45 AM

Eva Marie St will vote for the gradmother

by Anonymousreply 171February 7, 2021 4:24 AM

Eva loves our Julia

by Anonymousreply 172February 7, 2021 4:26 AM

There aren’t enough nonagenarians in the Academy to make a difference, but a win by Bakalova would be such a vast departure from what Academy voters typically prefer that people should be skeptical, despite all the critical prizes. There’s a first time for everything, but some of the Bakalova surge feels like last year when people thought J. Lo was a sure thing and Laura Dern’s biggest rival, even though she was in a trashy stripper movie.

(Counterpoint: everything undeniably awful yet completely true about Jennifer Lopez)

by Anonymousreply 173February 7, 2021 4:37 AM

Toronto Film Critics Awards

Best Actress - Frances McDormand (runner up: Viola Davis, Sidney Flannigan)

Best Actor - Riz Ahmed (runner up: Chadwick Boseman, Mads Mikkelsen)

Best Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (runner up: Paul Raci, Leslie Odom Jr.)

Best Supporting Actress - Maria Bakalova (runner up: Yuh-jung Youn, Olivia Colman)

Best Animated: Soulwalkers (runner up : SOUL, THE WILLOUGHBYS)

Best Foreign Language: BACURAU (runner up: ANOTHER ROUND, BEANPOLE)

Best First Feature: THE FORTY YEAR VERSION (runner up: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN, THE FATHER)

LONDON FILM CRITICS

FILM OF THE YEAR - NOMADLAND

British/Irish Film of the Years - SAINT MAUD

Foreign Language Film- ANOTHER ROUND

Actress of the Year - Frances McDormand

Actor of the Year - Chadwick Boseman

Supporting Actor of the Year - Shaun Parkes (Mangrove)

Supporting Actress of the Year - Maria Bakalova

British/Irish Actor of the Year - Riz Ahmed

British/Irish Actress of the Year - Morfydd Clark

Director of the Year - Steve McQueen

Screenwriter of the Year - Chloe Zhao

by Anonymousreply 174February 7, 2021 7:59 PM

St V is narrating a Super Bowl package on right now about black players. Carey, You better get your ass out there girl. Viola will not be denied nor will she deny any opportune appearance.

by Anonymousreply 175February 7, 2021 8:22 PM

Borat 2 has surprisingly low scores from audiences on imdb and rottentomatoes.

The critics liked it but the people don't.

by Anonymousreply 176February 8, 2021 5:44 AM

That’s because of Trump supporters driving the scores down.

by Anonymousreply 177February 8, 2021 10:18 AM

Ohnoyoudi'nt R175. Ain't no Drew Carey white girl gon rain on my parade this year. The Oscar is MINE! I can feel Oscar in every pore and every orifice of my body. My beautiful, full figured, sexual, dark chocolate body. Dark chocolate like Miss Cicely Tyson, who was cruelly ignored by the academy and truly suffered. But not as much as I have! My tears MUST be shed and you MUST appreciate them.

That Drew Carey English bitch can go back to England and play some damn countess or duchess, which is all they ever do.

by Anonymousreply 178February 8, 2021 10:33 AM

R144 What are you talking about? He was great in Get out.

by Anonymousreply 179February 8, 2021 1:24 PM

R176 Borat 2 was such an awful, unfunny film.

by Anonymousreply 180February 8, 2021 1:25 PM

Is this just one sicko who's obsessed with Viola or are there more of them?

by Anonymousreply 181February 8, 2021 1:25 PM

R181 Right? I don't know how some people track who posters really are, but this thread turned racist pretty quickly and stayed there.

by Anonymousreply 182February 8, 2021 3:42 PM

R181 / R182 It’s the same troll that hates Jessica Lange and celebrates Faye Dunaway’s birthdays.

It’s Buffalo Bill.

by Anonymousreply 183February 8, 2021 3:53 PM

-As much as I loved Viola through all other performances I don't like her bottom thing. Can't describe what is wrong with it but something is missing. -Amy Adams and Glenn Close's film is a shame and looks as if they appear in a filmed SNL sketch. At least the BAFTAs ignore it and Sophia Loren would have been more worthy to be nominated for THE LIFE AHEAD than Glenn. -I wonder why ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI isn't recognized a bit more. I really liked it and Eli Goree as young Cassius is fantastic! Is it too "small" for awards? All four actors deliver outstanding performances. -MANK I paused at least three times. Seyfried does her best but that's all. A cold stylistic film with no heart and no story that had to be told. -While I liked Sorkin's TRIAL it's rather not outstanding. It's a decent film with too many inaccuracies in the vein of ARGO etc - sorry, no. Give Cohen an award if you have to but not Sorkin for screenplay. And don't even think to nominate Langella - everyone else in the film was more memorable. -PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN should win picture, director, screenplay and actress. Carey Mulligan deserves it! -I miss Zachary Quinto on the lists for supporting in THE BOYS IN THE BAND. -And also no love by Globes' gay foreign journalists for the best song - Husavik (Hometown) - in the EUROVISION film? I hope the Oscars don't miss it!

by Anonymousreply 184February 8, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote]And also no love by Globes' gay foreign journalists for the best song - Husavik (Hometown) - in the EUROVISION film? I hope the Oscars don't miss it!

I thought for sure it would be a lock for Golden Globes. I've heard most, if not, all the songs that have been nominated in various circles and have seen them in context of use, but only Husavik nails it completely. Thankfully, the Critics Choice Awards nominated it, but I'm stunned it's been largely ignored.

by Anonymousreply 185February 8, 2021 4:47 PM

The only surprise with the Critics Choice Film nominations is that they bothered nominating Ben Affleck for THE WAY BACK. I finally saw JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH and LaKeith Stanfield is incredible and much more deserving than Affleck.

Critics Choice wisely carves out child actors to their own category which has freed up Ellen Burstyn to be nominated. Helena Zengel of NEWS OF THE WORLD has suddenly gained traction in that category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186February 8, 2021 5:03 PM

Me, too, R185. It’s a great song. It’s the kind of song Dianne Warren WISHES she could write but instead she churns out stuff which gives mediocrity a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 187February 8, 2021 5:05 PM

WTF is with Frances McDormand being honored for her monotonous performances? Virtually every performance of hers feels the same and she hasn't produced any memorable work apart from maybe Fargo some three decades ago.

Are these the only choices? The overrated, one-note McDormand, the Lifetime-movie-quality acting of the ghastly Carey Mulligan or the one-note, snot crying of the self-congratulatory Viola Davis?

I hope none of these bitches wins and they honor someone new like the actress who played Billie Holiday. They can get Diana Ross to present it.

by Anonymousreply 188February 8, 2021 9:18 PM

While I did not care for Nomadland, I would not say McDormand hasn't given a memorable performance since Fargo. She was wonderful in Almost Famous, Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day, Laurel Canyon, and even though it contains some of her standard schtick, she was brilliant in Olive Kittridge.

by Anonymousreply 189February 8, 2021 9:34 PM

R186 I’ll be seeing Judas and the Black Messiah on Friday. I have been hearing a lot of great things about the film, particularly the performances. Along similar subject lines, I watched MLK/FBI this past weekend - great, but I think the subject matter is too controversial to pick up any awards.

I wish their was more momentum for Mads Mikkelsen’s performance in Another Round. He should definitely be on the Oscar shortlist.

by Anonymousreply 190February 8, 2021 9:37 PM

I don't hate Viola, but I agree that she's been campaigning hard, and it's a major turn off. I also didn't like how she distanced herself from The Help this year, when I clearly remember her gushing over the movie when it was released. I also don't think she's as versatile as she makes herself out to be.

I wish Taraji would get more chances. Jenifer Lewis as well. She's so criminally underused and underrated it isn't even funny.

by Anonymousreply 191February 8, 2021 9:43 PM

Mo’Nique should have been Ma Rainey.

by Anonymousreply 192February 8, 2021 10:04 PM

R188 25 years ago is three decades? Alrighty then. Also, you haven't seen the Billie Holiday movie but you hope they nominate the actress from the movie? The one you don't even know the name of.

by Anonymousreply 193February 9, 2021 12:36 AM

Bakalova is running away with out of the awards.

by Anonymousreply 194February 9, 2021 1:13 AM

^meant to say "with most"

by Anonymousreply 195February 9, 2021 1:14 AM

Can Viola do comedy?

by Anonymousreply 196February 9, 2021 2:16 AM

Well, I laugh every time she snot cries.

by Anonymousreply 197February 9, 2021 2:18 AM

I don’t think she can, R196. Look at her performance in The Help. Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain played the material for both laughs and tears, scaling their performances for what the material required, but Davis approached it with deadly seriousness. It’s like she’s in an entirely different movie from everyone else.

She played her role as if it were The Grapes of Wrath, without realizing it was closer to The Beverly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 198February 9, 2021 2:30 AM

[QUOTE] Mo’Nique should have been Ma Rainey.

She already played her and even got an Emmy nod for it.

by Anonymousreply 199February 9, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote] Mo’Nique should have been Ma Rainey.

Hell yes, R192.

by Anonymousreply 200February 9, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote] Well, I laugh every time she snot cries.

Be prepared to laugh throughout the awards season then. I am going to sweep every Best Actress award there is and snot cry through it all. And something extra for Oscar night, baby.....

by Anonymousreply 201February 9, 2021 6:48 AM

[quote] [R144] What are you talking about? He was great in Get out.

Eh. Never got the hype for that one. That was almost totally a passive, reactive performance. He was much better in his small part in Widows than Get Out.

The person upthread mentioning Mads in Another Round— yes! Wonderful movie and performance. It’s best bet is for the International Film Oscar but I too hope Mikkelsen has a shot.

by Anonymousreply 202February 9, 2021 6:50 AM

R46 She adds copious amounts of sweat to the mx in in the incomprehensibly praised Ma Rainey!

by Anonymousreply 203February 9, 2021 7:00 AM

Oh my word, I need to “Oh, Dear” myself for the misuse of “their”.

*I wish there was more momentum...*

R202 Maybe Mads will be a surprise nominee. I would love to see that.

by Anonymousreply 204February 9, 2021 7:25 AM

R202, it's called "blood, sweat and tears" for a reason. Now you know why you see me cry onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 205February 9, 2021 7:33 AM

Don’t forget snot, St V.

by Anonymousreply 206February 9, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote] Eh. Never got the hype for that one. That was almost totally a passive, reactive performance. He was much better in his small part in Widows than Get Out.

I'm the one who initially commented on Kaluuya and, while I didn't think he was bad in Get Out, I didn't understand the nomination. But I wouldn't have said he was a bad actor based on that. However Widows was a totally different situation. It was one of the worst performances of that year. He stuck out like a sore thumb he was so bad. And the role wasn't even anything to speak of. It takes a really bad actor to make you notice the terrible performance of what amounts to a "henchman with a gun" role.

by Anonymousreply 207February 9, 2021 6:49 PM

Oscars: Academy Unveils Shortlists in Nine Categories:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208February 9, 2021 10:12 PM

The Academy released the shortlist for a few categories. HUSAVIK from Netflix's EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: THE STORY OF FIRE SAGA made it amongst the fifteen songs.

“Turntables” from “All In: The Fight for Democracy”

“See What You’ve Done” from “Belly of the Beast”

“Wuhan Flu” from “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

“Husavik” from “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga”

“Never Break” from “Giving Voice”

“Make It Work” from “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”

“Fight For You” from “Judas and the Black Messiah”

“lo Sì (Seen)” from “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”

“Rain Song” from “Minari”

“Show Me Your Soul” from “Mr. Soul!”

“Loyal Brave True” from “Mulan”

“Free” from “The One and Only Ivan”

“Speak Now” from “One Night in Miami...”

“Green” from “Sound of Metal”

“Hear My Voice” from “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

by Anonymousreply 209February 9, 2021 10:12 PM

Apparently the big winner from the shortlists is Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey, which made the cut for Makeup, Score and Song.

Watch out, Aaron Sorkin and Chloe Zhao, there's a new frontrunner in the race and it stars Forest Whitaker, Phylicia Rashad and Ricky Martin!

by Anonymousreply 210February 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Since when is Aaron Sorkin the pinnacle of brilliance?

by Anonymousreply 211February 9, 2021 11:09 PM

Amanda Seyfried's people are trying to get her back in the Oscar conversation. She will be honored for her career and her performance in David Fincher’s “Mank” at the 36th Santa Barbara Film Festival. Seyfried, who recently received a supporting actress Golden Globe nomination, will be recognized with the Montecito Award at an April 9 ceremony. “Amanda gives one of the best performances of 2020 in “Mank,” and makes us do a double take about her whole career. This is a defining moment for her, and a rediscovery for us,” said Sbiff’s Executive Director Roger Durling. The festival takes place March 31 to April 10.

by Anonymousreply 212February 10, 2021 12:18 AM

G is winning the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 213February 10, 2021 12:35 AM

If the reviews were better, I don’t think we’d have any doubt that Close is winning. She’ll be on her eighth nomination over nearly forty years, she’s coming off a narrow loss, and a character like Meemaw is Oscar catnip. You just look at stills of her in the movie, and it screams Oscar, kind of like Allison Janney in I, Tonya.

by Anonymousreply 214February 10, 2021 3:04 AM

R214 Many wrote her off for any nominations because of the reviews and yet, the HFPA and SAG didn’t give a shit about those reviews; she was nominated anyway.

by Anonymousreply 215February 10, 2021 4:29 AM

It's mad that the Oscars were a year ago tonight. It feels like an eternity ago.

by Anonymousreply 216February 10, 2021 4:47 AM

I just watched One Night in Miami and thought it was utterly meh.

by Anonymousreply 217February 10, 2021 5:31 AM

AMPAS put Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar on their streaming channel this week. I wanted something light before I went to sleep so I turned it on. I am so utterly horrified by it after under 10 minutes that I don't think I can go back in. It has a fabulous opening shot and then jumps straight into the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 218February 10, 2021 6:52 AM

Oscars: Plans Underway for Show With In-Person Components at Multiple Locations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219February 10, 2021 5:33 PM

It just seems totally unlikely to me McDormand will be a three time winner. I think Mulligan is a slight favorite. But I'm not so sure Kirby doesn't deserve a surprise win. The scene at the end in court where she states she doesn't think her daughter was born for those few minutes to do all that was unbelievably powerful. I'm in minority however about Burstyn. I love Ellen Burstyn but not this performance. She was ok but the character was caricature. Playing the rich parent of a child involved with someone "unworthy" was beneath the movie and the other performances. I mean the cliche writing of the check to get you out of my child's life parent died in the 80's. I even thought Shia was terrific until his character did that ridiculous turn and walk away with a check. Total eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 220February 11, 2021 3:01 AM

R220- I really, really enjoyed Pieces Of A Woman. I would love for Kirby to win.

It's one of the only films that stayed with me. I have not seen Promising Young Woman yet..

by Anonymousreply 221February 11, 2021 3:22 AM

I wanna annoy absolutely EVERY deplorable and want Biden and Dr Jill to present Best Picture. Republican heads would explode. If it was to Minari all the better.

by Anonymousreply 222February 11, 2021 3:49 AM

I have to give kudos to Promising Young Woman for Angel of the Morning. I love the song used beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 223February 11, 2021 4:49 AM

[quote] I wanna annoy absolutely EVERY deplorable and want Biden and Dr Jill to present Best Picture. Republican heads would explode. If it was to Minari all the better.

Deplorables could care less about the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 224February 11, 2021 4:50 AM

Sorry, couldn’t

by Anonymousreply 225February 11, 2021 4:50 AM

R224 I think you give them too much credit. They actually care more and love Hollywood pageantry way more than the participates. They pretend they don't care But first to but a $600 dollar purse.

by Anonymousreply 226February 11, 2021 4:56 AM

It's gonna be Carey Mulligan and Viola will have her best Sally Kirkland face on.

by Anonymousreply 227February 11, 2021 5:26 AM

Honestly Viola has an Oscar and she should be gracious. Mulligan and Kirby are far more worthy than her. Mulligan went further and Kirby was far more devastating and lived in than her sweaty lip syncing.

by Anonymousreply 228February 11, 2021 5:46 AM

[quote] Honestly Viola has an Oscar and she should be gracious.

Oh honey, that Drew Carey thang and Frances, who benefits from nepotism, are the ones who should be gracious when I win. They are privileged white women and haven't SUFFERED like I have. That English bitch will never know what it's like to eat out of trash cans like I did in Rhode Island. And Fran never had to take a bus like I did to get to Juilliard.

I am the Queen of my craft and I weave a tapestry of people's lives with every role I assume. These brave, kind, humorous, loving, admirable, angry, dignified and intelligent souls get a FACE and a VOICE thanks to me and my dedicated pursuit of the noblest profession there is.

Any other woman winning this year would be an affirmation of the reprehensible racism that oppresses us every single day and that prevented our queen Cicely Tyson from soaring as high as she wanted to or was capable of. The Academy owes us. It owes ME. Our Black Lives Matter! Ma Rainey's Black Bottom Matters!

I deserve this win and many more in the future, but I don't get any work to showcase my skills. I rarely get cast while I watch white women with not even a fraction of my talent star in ten movies each year. I have EARNED the right to shed my tears and cry.

by Anonymousreply 229February 11, 2021 7:18 AM

R229 LOL. And sexual!

by Anonymousreply 230February 11, 2021 8:29 AM

Carey Mulligan has this sewn up.

by Anonymousreply 231February 11, 2021 8:33 AM

Viola hating racist troll strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 232February 11, 2021 3:47 PM

R232 ... and beyond the racist proclivities, the "Viola voice" has long, long ago jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 233February 11, 2021 4:01 PM

Yeah, even when the Viola thing isn't overtly racist, it's just not funny. A little of the sniping diva actress schtick goes a long way, no matter the actress. And by this point, we've seen more than just a little of it.

So what haven't we discussed in a while? Minari? The Father? Who's going to win the various techs?

by Anonymousreply 234February 11, 2021 4:32 PM

R234 Stop pretending you care about the garish Viola Davis performance in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, you faux woke annoying twat. You're not at Awards Worthy, pal. Shed the concerned anti-racist act and let people post whatever they want to.

by Anonymousreply 235February 11, 2021 5:24 PM

R235 Take your meds, kiddo. Saying that the Viola schtick is old and boring is not saying one thinks she should win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 236February 11, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote]So what haven't we discussed in a while? Minari? The Father?

The Dorian Awards from the Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association (GALECA) nominated MINARI for six awards. It led the pack in their nominations.

I liked MINARI enough but without Yuh-Jung Youn that film wouldn't be as enjoyable. It's a nice slice of life film.

THE FATHER cleverly showed the disorientation and confusion that comes with dementia. I will give it that. But Anthony Hopkins was just so hammy in some scenes that it takes away from the film. Olivia Colman, Olivia Williams, Rufus Sewell and Imogen Poots were all good with what little they had.

by Anonymousreply 237February 11, 2021 5:32 PM

I just finished watching Judas and the Black Messiah. Great film. It felt very 70’s in nature - gritty, character-driven, cynical (in a good way). The talk surrounding Daniel Kaluuya is deserved, he was excellent, but I was really impressed by Lakeith Stanfield.

I’m not sure why the studio didn’t give this film a bigger push. It is a surprisingly strong film.

by Anonymousreply 238February 11, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote]but I was really impressed by Lakeith Stanfield.

The fact that he has been ignored during this awards season is maddening. I can only chalk it up to the fact that it's not a showy role - his potency is his reactions and the things he telegraphs on his face when dealing with both the Panthers and Jesse Plemons (who was also very good). This film is really the only real contender WB has this year. WONDER WOMAN 1984 and TENET may be represented in the technical awards (and Ludwig Gorannson surely will be nominated for Best Score), but Jared Leto and Ben Affleck receiving nods are anomalies.

by Anonymousreply 239February 11, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote] THE FATHER cleverly showed the disorientation and confusion that comes with dementia. I will give it that. But Anthony Hopkins was just so hammy in some scenes that it takes away from the film. Olivia Colman, Olivia Williams, Rufus Sewell and Imogen Poots were all good with what little they had.

SPOILER ALERT

While I really loved The Father (it's the only truly good movie I've seen this year so far) and think Hopkins deserves the Oscar far above anyone else, I feel that the writer/director dropped the conceit of the film far too early. The film does a great job in the first 30 min or so (perhaps more, I didn't time it) allowing the audience to experience the story purely through the senses of Hopkins' character. We're as confused and unsure of things as he is, and it's fascinating. But far too soon, we see a scene played with him out of eyesight and earshot and it breaks that wonderful spell. I don't know if (nor do I necessarily think) it's possible to keep that viewpoint through the entire movie, but I would have liked Hopkins to have a period of clarity that would also serve to bring the audience up to speed on what was real as opposed to the "ugh, we just can't keep this up anymore" way they did do it. It was still powerful, but not enough. We've seen umpteen movies about Alzheimers and dementia, but the first section of this film is the only time anyone has ever gotten even a little close to what it must be like for the person experiencing it and it was just brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 240February 11, 2021 6:05 PM

Boseman’s performance in Ma Rainey is exhaustingly overwrought. No way should his performance be judged as superior to Hopkins’.

by Anonymousreply 241February 11, 2021 6:07 PM

R241 Largely due to the direction... he was a talented, charismatic actor. The director should have had him reign it in a bit in certain place, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 242February 11, 2021 6:09 PM

I found Nomadland dull dull dull. Minari wasn't much better in that regard. It would be nice if the best picture nominees actually had a plot.

by Anonymousreply 243February 11, 2021 6:14 PM

I would so much rather see Charlene Swankie get a supporting actress nomination for Nomadland than McDormand a lead nom. She was the heart and soul of that movie and it was a beautiful performance, especially when you consider she's not an actress.

by Anonymousreply 244February 11, 2021 6:24 PM

I find the lack of recognition for Lakeith baffling r239. In another year, I think he would be a favorite for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 245February 11, 2021 6:39 PM

I'll sign up to the love for Lakeith Stanfield in Judas and the Black Messiah. He's so good at just watching other actors, and because of that even when his role isn't showy, he's always compelling.

by Anonymousreply 246February 11, 2021 6:54 PM

Lakeith is a terrific actor. Much better than awful Daniel Kaluuya.

by Anonymousreply 247February 11, 2021 6:55 PM

R243, there just isn't that much to Minari. I didn't hate it -- the movie is nice, it's kind of moving, the actors are good, and yet I doubt I'll think of the movie again once this awards season is over.

by Anonymousreply 248February 11, 2021 7:26 PM

I loved Minari. There is way more to that story than Ma Bottom for fucks sake. A day in the life of a crazy tantrum filled recording session that ends in a ridiculous death that was amateurishly staged. Please. Minari had wonderful fresh characters that maybe don't accomplish anything big but arc in small human ways most of which comes together with all of them sleeping in living room at the end as a family after a near disaster which earlier in the film had been rejected because "daddy snores". Some people here don't know shit about stories and movies.

by Anonymousreply 249February 13, 2021 3:21 AM

Sexy Viola isn't beating Mulligan. PYW is picking up a lot of affection.

by Anonymousreply 250February 13, 2021 3:31 AM

R249, I may have to revisit Minari. I’m open to the idea that it might affect me more on a second viewing. French Exit improved a lot after a second viewing for me, so it does happen.

Ma Rainey didn’t, though. The second viewing verified that it’s an awful movie. If it gets a Best Picture nomination, the secret Oscar ballots that Hollywood Reporter and EW do each year are going to be epic.

by Anonymousreply 251February 13, 2021 4:04 AM

I hope the mother from Minari steals the last Best Actress nomination slot

by Anonymousreply 252February 13, 2021 4:07 AM

R252, this article mentions her as a potential surprise nominee. As well as Bo Burnham for Promising Young Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253February 13, 2021 4:15 AM

The mother in Minari was wonderful. And i Would not be surprised to see Burhnam snagging a nomination for an actually difficult role.

by Anonymousreply 254February 13, 2021 4:29 AM

The father and grandmother from Minari I think will get in but the mother and Alan Kim gives the child performance of the year. He was almost best in show

by Anonymousreply 255February 13, 2021 4:33 AM

Colman Domingo and Glenn Turman in Ma Rainey’s? Lol I don’t even know who the fuck they played and I saw that horrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 256February 13, 2021 4:49 AM

The guy that played Toledo was the best performance in that movie to me. Everything else was overwrought bullshit. Anthony Hopkins mops the floor with all these guys.

by Anonymousreply 257February 13, 2021 4:51 AM

R251 which is why no matter how sexual or loud Viola's performance is it's not gonna happen. Carey Mulligan actually took chances and created an original damaged character. For the Oscars Viola isn't even playing. I wouldn't' be surprised if in the final Oscar talley she ran behind Mulligan, Kirby and McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 258February 13, 2021 5:44 AM

R258, you gonna weep when Chadwick and I sweep the Best Actor and Best Actress trophies at all the shows this year. Don't deny my beautiful, alluring sexuality. And for all the birches claiming I looked greasy in MRBB let me remind you that grease can be a good lubricant, if you know what I'm sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 259February 13, 2021 8:07 AM

She was so good in Doubt. Trash in everything else. Anyone associated with The Help should be embarrassed. It was a horrible movie. I can't stand the lez Emma Stone

by Anonymousreply 260February 13, 2021 8:15 AM

R260 No one associated that movie should be embarrassed. It wasn't a horrible movie. And Emma Stone isn't a lez. You on the other hand are horrible, every one of your friends should be embarrassed and I can't stand your lesbophobic ass.

by Anonymousreply 261February 13, 2021 9:11 AM

Ugh. I really don’t want Carey Mulligan to win. If she does, Variety will run with the headline: “STILL NOT HOT”.

by Anonymousreply 262February 13, 2021 9:26 AM

I want to see trannies up for Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 263February 13, 2021 9:29 AM

And her "little old ME?!" affectations at winning are tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 264February 13, 2021 10:27 AM

Yeah R264, who does she think she is? Meryl, the Queen of the "I am so humble and SHOCKED that I am even nominated! I am unworthy of this honor" bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 265February 13, 2021 10:30 AM

I saw a picture of Viola working out right after her ma Rainey shit Netflix dropped. She looked stupid and was in a wig. Shoulda just worn her regular hair like on how to get away with murder when I watched it once in 2015

by Anonymousreply 266February 13, 2021 12:30 PM

Thigh gap, pert tits, ma Rainey who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267February 13, 2021 12:33 PM

VD would have been more fun if her parents had named her Voila instead.

by Anonymousreply 268February 13, 2021 12:34 PM

CN the Viola troll just fuck off? This thread is for general discussion of the Oscars. Not whatever weird shit you’re doing.

by Anonymousreply 269February 13, 2021 1:50 PM

I just watched Mulligan in THE DIG and thought she was great.

by Anonymousreply 270February 13, 2021 2:04 PM

I’m 30 mins. into One Night In Miami and it has yet to distinguish itself.

by Anonymousreply 271February 15, 2021 2:58 PM

It’s highly overrated because King directed it and she’s so well liked.

by Anonymousreply 272February 15, 2021 6:14 PM

I never thought I'd get sick of King and want her to go away, but I really do now.

by Anonymousreply 273February 15, 2021 9:19 PM

The movie didn't really do anything. Introduce four legendary icons>Go to Miami for a boxing match>Celebrate in a tiny hotel room by arguing for 2 hours over eating ice cream. Announcing your joining the Nation of Islam, potentially doing some acting work after a little taste and uncovering your down low super secret music you are working on are not true character arcs. Usually those things are the setup. There's very few stories that are well done about the journey to find the courage to do something. Most stories are about doing something. It's a pretty small idea for a play more so for a motion picture. I've just never really liked those kind of platys. It feels more like it shoulda just been a scene in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 274February 15, 2021 9:45 PM

Feinberg Forecast: First Oscar Projections For All 23 Categories:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275February 16, 2021 3:21 AM

Most of Feinberg’s predictions seem solid. It seems like the consensus has solidified for most of the categories. I still think the fifth slot for Best Actress is a complete tossup, though. I can’t see Andra Day, Zendaya or Amy Adams getting in, but someone has to.

by Anonymousreply 276February 16, 2021 3:56 AM

I would love to see Andra Day get nominated. I haven't seen the film but it's a great story of how she didn't even want to do the part (her first serious acting gig if I'm not mistaken) because she feared she couldn't pull it off, then goes on to get rave reviews for her performance. An Oscar nom would be like the icing on the cake for her.

by Anonymousreply 277February 16, 2021 5:01 AM

I think it's a shame Diane Lane isn't in the conversation for Let Him Go. I really disliked the movie, but her performance was wonderful, very possibly the best of her career.

by Anonymousreply 278February 16, 2021 7:38 AM

What about Carrie Coon in The Nest? She’s fantastic in that.

by Anonymousreply 279February 16, 2021 2:23 PM

Coon would be my choice, R279, but that movie was unfortunately forgotten. It would have been easy to see her make it with just a bigger critical push. She's a highly respected actress who has seemed on the verge of major awards attention for a while, and the role is well in line with Oscar tastes.

The distributor of The Nest really dropped the ball with its awards campaign (or, rather, lack thereof).

by Anonymousreply 280February 16, 2021 3:51 PM

That’s too bad, R280. It really is a terrific film. Instead of a limited theatrical run in September it should have been sold to Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 281February 16, 2021 4:05 PM

Add my opinion on Coon in The Nest. It was a riveting performance... nuanced but also "big" in dramatic swings. It was a pretty good movie, good dark chilling period piece. Curious it just got lost in the mix.

by Anonymousreply 282February 16, 2021 4:06 PM

R277, the thing about the Billie Holliday film is it’s supposedly not very good but Andra Day is supposedly really good in it. Go figure, I’m not sure how that happens. I’m still looking forward to seeing it but at this point kind of feel movied-out. One Night In Miami felt like such a chore to watch and, if I’m honest, I think people are conflating these actors with the characters they’re meant to be playing - what was so good about Leslie Odom Jr.? I love looking at Aldis Hodge but the script didn’t really afford these actors much to do, no matter who they were playing. So how could they be great or Oscar-worthy? Sometimes acting is just a job; not every role is award worthy.

I watched Judas and The Black Messiah - a story I’m very familiar with. Honestly? I wanted to like it a lot more than I did. I really liked Daniel Kaluuya in it but it was like the film had no centre - all of the elements were there but it was just kind of parochial and uninvolving. I think maybe if you didn’t know the story of Fred Hampton and/or The Black Panthers (and the film kind of fails on both counts) it might’ve been more engaging but it, for me at least, the style or direction of the film kind of negated the story. Everyone else is saying it’s brilliant and I’d like to think I’d recognise brilliance if I were watching it. But it seems like they’re responding more to the history than the actual film that someone has made of it.

Maybe I need a break from films for a while.

by Anonymousreply 283February 16, 2021 4:12 PM

R276, I agree the 5th Best Actress slot could be a wild card and I’m going to say that Kate Winslet in Ammonite is going to get in. She has not let up on campaigning and it’s serving her well - she is selling the film and its importance. She is familiar to a lot of Academy voters, as is Saoirse (though I’m not saying she’ll get in). I think Winslet might be the surprise nominee.

by Anonymousreply 284February 16, 2021 4:18 PM

R283, I totally agree about both One Night in Miami and Judas and the Black Messiah (awful title). They’re being extremeky overrated for many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 285February 16, 2021 4:25 PM

Seriously, what about Sophia Loren?

It is probably a long shot (longshot?), but I do LOVE her and she is probably the last semi Old-Hollywood star alive (She even worked with Cary Grant.). If she'd be nominated, she would probably break a record for longest duration between first and most recent nomination. She is a legend and her nomination would be an honour to all those lovely, old Italian grandmothers and grandfathers who lost their lives to Covid!

I know the movie is only a remake and has gotten meddling reviews. But this has to happen! It would also increase DIVERSITY!!

by Anonymousreply 286February 16, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote]Maybe I need a break from films for a while.

I've been saying that for the last decade. A lot of these oscar winners are so bogged down with being prestigious and profound that they're a chore to get through. Very few can write a female character worth shit, BTW.

And now it seems that everyone is in a push to be groundbreaking and diverse that entertainment value is taking a backseat.

For what it's worth, the 90's was a criminally underrated, groundbreaking time in black cinema, and for all the pats on the back that people are giving themselves today and the constant congratulations, I haven't seen many movies that come close to the quality and real diversity that came out in that era.

Do the Right Thing, Boyz in the Hood, Juice, Soul Food, Eve's Bayou, Why do Fools Fall in Love, Set it Off, What's Love Got to Do With It?, House Party, Waiting to Exhale, The Best Man, Malcolm X.

by Anonymousreply 287February 16, 2021 4:37 PM

R283, you probably need a breather from Oscar-bait biopics. I loved Judas and the Black Messiah, but when I saw it, it was well after I had gone through most of this year's dour field. We're practically treating Promising Young Woman as the lighthearted choice in the race, and that one's a rape revenge thriller.

Just rent something like Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar as a palate cleanser. It won't be anywhere near the Oscar race, but it might help clear your head.

by Anonymousreply 288February 16, 2021 4:40 PM

Way to go spoiling Promising Young Woman, R288.

You’re worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 289February 16, 2021 4:57 PM

R288 didn’t spoil anything about Promising Young Woman. You could have gotten all that information from watching the preview.

If you had seen it, you’d know that the major spoilers of the film are not included in that post.

by Anonymousreply 290February 16, 2021 5:04 PM

I'd better be careful now that R289 has become the spoiler gestapo. He might be shocked to learn that Trial of the Chicago 7 is about a court case involving Tom Hayden and Abbie Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 291February 16, 2021 5:10 PM

That’s not the same situation and you know it, R291.

I did NOT know that Promising Young Woman is about a rape victim on a revenge rampage. And it’s NOT a focal point of promo material so that’s a total lie, R290.

by Anonymousreply 292February 16, 2021 5:20 PM

R289, it’s not about a rape victim and it’s not a thriller. R288 hasn’t really spoiled it. Plus we can’t all wait for you to catch up before we can discuss films. If you’re interested in discussing the awards season, watch the films.

by Anonymousreply 293February 16, 2021 5:22 PM

R292 If you've got two brain cells to rub together and hope for a neurotransmitter or two.. .you get everything R288 implies within the first five minutes of the film.

by Anonymousreply 294February 16, 2021 5:36 PM

Here are the WGA nominations:

Original: Judas and the Black Messiah, Palm Springs, Promising Young Woman, Sound of Metal, Trial of the Chicago 7

Adapted: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, News of the World, One Night in Miami, The White Tiger

As always, a ton of Oscar contenders were ineligible for the award, such as Nomadland, Minari, Mank and The Father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 16, 2021 5:40 PM

Will Glenn be beaten by that new girl from Borat?

by Anonymousreply 296February 16, 2021 5:59 PM

Anyone who watched G on Hollywood Reporter’s latest roundtable is less likely to vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 297February 16, 2021 6:40 PM

The only possible spoiler I am confident with is that Ellen Burstyn will get in for Pieces Of a Woman...

And I truly, truly hope that Paul Raci gets nominated and WINS for Sound of Metal- I was sincerely impressed. A performance that is from the heart.

by Anonymousreply 298February 16, 2021 6:57 PM

R298 Yes, me too!

I also love Ellen Burstyn.

by Anonymousreply 299February 16, 2021 7:00 PM

Poor Candace Bergen has been shut out.

by Anonymousreply 300February 16, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote]Poor Candace Bergen has been shut out.

She was nominated for the AARP Movies for Grownups Awards. That's something, right?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301February 16, 2021 7:15 PM

I love Carrie Coon and I thought she should have been nominated for supporting actress for Gone Girl, but I did not like The Nest. It just didn't grab me at all, nor did any of the performances. I wanted to like it, and I went in not knowing anything, but it didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 302February 16, 2021 7:53 PM

Did not like THE NEST either.

And if there is anything Jude Law's team should have been pushing him for it's the Golden Globes and Emmys for his work on HBO/SKy's THE THIRD DAY. Incredible work by him.

[quote]And I truly, truly hope that Paul Raci gets nominated and WINS for Sound of Metal- I was sincerely impressed. A performance that is from the heart.

I would love that. He was the heart of the film. He's managed to skate on the authenticity issue. He himself has complained about non-deaf actors playing deaf, but he's not hearing impaired. He's the child of deaf parents so he feels he can be able to portray a deaf person because of his ties to the community.

by Anonymousreply 303February 16, 2021 8:01 PM

R286, Loren was fabulous in a really absorbing movie. I’m surprised she’s not getting more love here.

by Anonymousreply 304February 16, 2021 8:07 PM

R286, Loren would smash the record for longest gap between an actor's first and most recent nomination (59 years). Hepburn holds the record now (48), with Pacino not far behind thanks to last year's nod for The Irishman (47). Burstyn would also beat Hepburn, but only by a year.

If any working actor beats Hepburn's record, though, it really should be Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 305February 16, 2021 8:27 PM

I will be distraught if Sophia doesn't get nominated!

by Anonymousreply 306February 16, 2021 8:29 PM

R297, I winced when Glenn Close said that she was so moved by how “articulate” Zendaya and Andra Day were in the discussion. Yikes. Isn’t she aware of how condescending that old chestnut of saying that POC are “articulate” sounds? Zendaya was criticized in the comments for how she spoke on that but I thought she was very sweet and expressed her views perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 307February 16, 2021 8:37 PM

Glenn took a nap three times during that round table.

by Anonymousreply 308February 16, 2021 10:56 PM

Glenn certainly could have been talking about their age, not their race.

by Anonymousreply 309February 16, 2021 11:22 PM

She could have R309 but that’s not the point. The word “articulate” has long been the buzz word for white people who are surprised that POC can actually express views in a coherent manner.

by Anonymousreply 310February 16, 2021 11:40 PM

Something has told me from early in this season that if Maria Bakalova gets nominated, she’ll win.

by Anonymousreply 311February 17, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] She could have [R309] but that’s not the point. The word “articulate” has long been the buzz word for white people who are surprised that POC can actually express views in a coherent manner.

Neither Glenn Close nor I give half a fuck what you and the rest of the woke squad think.

by Anonymousreply 312February 17, 2021 2:08 AM

R311 I still just don't get it. I enjoyed it fine but I'm still repulsed that the character ate a monkey too. It's just not the type of mercurial performance that someone could win in Oscar for in that type of movie.

by Anonymousreply 313February 17, 2021 2:20 AM

Carey Mulligan is probably gonna win and I hope Viola does not disappoint

by Anonymousreply 314February 17, 2021 5:04 AM

I'm confused as to why Maria Bakalova is in the supporting category. She is totally a lead.

by Anonymousreply 315February 17, 2021 9:20 AM

I just finished Sound of Metal and I thought it was excellent. Riz gave a fantastic performance and he's really giving Hopkins a run for his money in terms of Best Actor for me. But I thought it was also wonderfully directed, and I thought Olivia Cooke was terrific. I'm not sure I sign on to the raves for Paul Raci. He wasn't bad, but he seemed like a non-actor to me, like one of those people Chloe Zhao likes to put in her films and have them play themselves. (Except she does a much better job with them and they give better performances.) I know he's a legit actor, but I just wasn't feeling it from him. But all around a highly recommended film.

by Anonymousreply 316February 17, 2021 9:25 AM

R313 She ate the monkey, yes.l, but it’s also brilliant comedy, not just comedy, and this gal stole the film from Baron Cohen who many proclaim a genius, she’s really a lead but fits nicely in supporting, she’s hilarious and heartbreaking at times with this fabulous arch in the film. She’s magic. I mean, if you don’t get it and think it’s just Farrelly brothers or something, I don’t know what to say.

by Anonymousreply 317February 17, 2021 9:34 AM

I hope Frances McDormand gets shut out. Looking like shit with her MILLIONS. Yale NYC Cannes Coen playing a motherfucker who lives in a van and acting like she’s damn well the ONLY one who could make that real (and also that van living is the only thing that’s real!). She should sit in her penthouse and think of more ways to ugly herself up. So real.

by Anonymousreply 318February 17, 2021 10:03 AM

There’s always a surprise nomination! Maybe this year it’s Liz Moss? certainly deserving.

by Anonymousreply 319February 17, 2021 9:25 PM

It's not going to be Elisabeth Moss.

People keep holding out hope for respected actresses who do horror movies, and every year the Academy disappoints.

by Anonymousreply 320February 17, 2021 9:44 PM

True, R320, Toni Collette should have been nominated for Hereditary.

Calling it now-Regina King wins in 2022 for her Shirley Chisholm biopic.

by Anonymousreply 321February 17, 2021 10:03 PM

Actor and Actress both have kind of a wild card spot.

by Anonymousreply 322February 18, 2021 1:25 AM

I think the Actor slot seems like it’s probably between Lindo and Yeun. I know Lindo didn’t get in for SAG or the Globes, but he seems like the type of critical favorite who underperforms there but still makes the cut with the Academy. And if not him, Yeun because he’s in a film the Academy is expected to love.

But that last spot in Actress is just baffling. Maybe it’ll just be Day based on the Oscar-friendliness of the role, but that reasoning feels really weak.

by Anonymousreply 323February 18, 2021 1:40 AM

Sigourney Weaver got that genre nomination back when.

by Anonymousreply 324February 18, 2021 2:04 AM

It probably will be Andra Day just like it was Ruth Negga a few years ago. It's all for you, Jada!

by Anonymousreply 325February 18, 2021 2:20 AM

The Minari mom would be even more inclusive with Viola

by Anonymousreply 326February 18, 2021 2:23 AM

The Minari mom and Bo Burnham (Supporting Actor- Promising Young Woman) were both highlighted as dark horse WTF nominations in an article I read recently.

by Anonymousreply 327February 18, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote]Calling it now-Regina King wins in 2022 for her Shirley Chisholm biopic.

Nah. It's been done.

by Anonymousreply 328February 18, 2021 4:41 AM

We're calling it now. The Oscars for the year 2020 will be the WORST ever. What a rotten year for movies! Netflix, COVID, blechhhhhhhhh!

by Anonymousreply 329February 18, 2021 5:12 AM

R318 Well, good thing you are not butthurt.

by Anonymousreply 330February 18, 2021 9:42 AM

Marisa Tomei fully deserved that Oscar, R329. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 331February 18, 2021 1:14 PM

This is a smart move,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332February 18, 2021 6:21 PM

I'm in the minority that actually thinks Trial of the Chicago 7 is the "Best Picture" of the year. It's standard Best Picture material and very well done. Other than Minari no other movie is in the conversation. Promising Young Woman and Nomadland are worthy. All the others are really shit. Viola's attempt at sweaty sexy was ridiculous. Her entire performance consisted of enough people respecting her so she can do a fucking recording. And don't you dare look at her purchased dyke.

by Anonymousreply 333February 19, 2021 3:31 AM

I hated Ma Rainey and Davis hardly had the swagger to do it. And Black Panther, so energetic but he’s just a pretender at being a great, a try hard. To tell you the truth, I feel sorry for the black peoples who are truly gifted (Regina King, Regina Hall, Michael k. Williams, adepero oduye, uzo, micaela coel, djimon, Halle berry.. so elegiac in that European art film she won for) when nothing parts are up for nominations

by Anonymousreply 334February 19, 2021 7:24 AM

R333, you WILL and SHALL find me sexy. I am a sexual goddess.

by Anonymousreply 335February 19, 2021 8:08 AM

Well, R334, David Rooney with THR says Andra Day "burns up the screen" and delivers "a dazzling star turn" in his review of the new Billie Holiday movie, so perhaps she will be a major contender after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336February 19, 2021 5:06 PM

Was Andra Day as good as Audra Macdonald? I saw her on stage in "Lady Day At Emerson's Bar & Grill" as she was sensational !

by Anonymousreply 337February 19, 2021 6:18 PM

Neither was good as Audra Lindley when she played the part in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 338February 19, 2021 6:20 PM

R338

by Anonymousreply 339February 19, 2021 6:34 PM

Andra, Audra L, Audra M ...

Very confusing...

Just looking back at the year's performances after some time now... although at the time the vehicle seemed so flawed, and she was a little over-exposed... I thought Zendaya wasn't a contender. But in retrospect here performance stayed (stays) with me. It's like a ballerina or gymnast who just did things others couldn't The degree of difficulty etc.

Carey Mulligan is a very gifted actress... but the Promising Young Woman just seemed a bit too expected. Julia Garner for the Assistant was also remarkable, but I don't think that many folks saw it and she won't be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 340February 19, 2021 7:31 PM

[QUOTE] Carey Mulligan is a very gifted actress... but the Promising Young Woman just seemed a bit too expected.

Really? Have you seen the movie? It is one twist and turn after another. And Carey Mulligan is about the last actress I would have cast in the role and she absolutely nails it. “Expected” it is not.

by Anonymousreply 341February 19, 2021 7:33 PM

R341 Yes I've seen the movie. And I'm a great Mulligan fan - I thought some of the scenes in Wildlife (not a movie that got a lot of notice) were some of the most remarkable by any actress ever.... her face showing rapidly changing and conflicting emotions ... powerful, subtle, and surprising.

I know what you're saying about the movie's "twists".... but, and this will seems nuts I suppose, the plot twists were expected to me. Yeah this revelation. Yeah, she is revengeful of he best friend.

In short, I think the problem with the performance was the plot and the direction more than the actress. The parents' house, too calculated odd. The range of hook-ups, too perfectly villainous. The edging into vulnerability with the doctor boyfriend... not realistic giving her obsessions and pathologies. And Mulligan played all these "surprises" by the "surprise textbook"... at least my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 342February 19, 2021 7:40 PM

Tried watching Nomadland on Hulu and switched off after an hour. Beautifully shot but pretentious as hell-those “real people” in scenes with McDormand made me wince. Hire some real ACTORS, dammit, this ain’t a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 343February 19, 2021 10:30 PM

If Rosamund Pike gains traction she could put an end to Carey Mulligan’s Oscar campaign because her performance in I Care A Lot makes Mulligan’s performance in Promising Young Woman look like absolute child’s play.

by Anonymousreply 344February 19, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote]her performance in I Care A Lot makes Mulligan’s performance in Promising Young Woman look like absolute child’s play.

I'm watching it now. Great film and performance, but nothing new for Pike. It's just another shade of Amazing Amy in GONE GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 345February 20, 2021 12:10 AM

Rosamyn pike, yuck

by Anonymousreply 346February 20, 2021 8:53 AM

R344 No, it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 347February 20, 2021 9:23 AM

I think the fifth Oscar slot goes for Rosamund Pike.

by Anonymousreply 348February 20, 2021 1:52 PM

I think you’re right, r348. Especially as the film is now widely available via Netflix or Amazon (depending on country).

It is a great performance and though it is reminiscent of Amazing Amy, the difference is I went from purely hating her to hating her but also rooting for her at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 349February 20, 2021 11:02 PM

Rosamund Pike won’t be nominated for the same reason JLo won’t. Both have reps as being utter cunts.

by Anonymousreply 350February 21, 2021 3:21 AM

I meant the same reason JLo WASN’T.

by Anonymousreply 351February 21, 2021 3:22 AM

I think Nomadland will win Best Picture and Director. It’s beautifully made and it’s captured the zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 352February 21, 2021 3:23 AM

Lopez wasn't nominated because her performance was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 353February 21, 2021 4:22 AM

Nomadland won’t win Best Picture, it’s a precious, pretentious art film that has NOTHING to do with the zeitgeist. Just Frances McDormand doing her quirky shit as a supremely selfish asshole.

by Anonymousreply 354February 21, 2021 4:37 AM

The most unbelievable part of Nomadland has to be David Straithorn's character being attracted to McDormand's character. He is handsome and sexy, whereas she is haggard and repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 355February 21, 2021 5:09 AM

I really didn’t need to see Frances taking a shit.

by Anonymousreply 356February 21, 2021 5:25 AM

BSA Dianne Wiest-I Care A Lot

She makes the entire movie and is the only character you’re rooting for.

She was robbed of a GG nom because Glenn sent a Costume Director to Goodwill & a discount wig shop.

by Anonymousreply 357February 21, 2021 5:32 AM

Ugh almost turned off Nomadland when she shows off what’s left of her dishes that her dad got at yard sales and then have to her after high school graduation.

by Anonymousreply 358February 21, 2021 6:12 AM

R356 it was much worse hearing it and then seeing her wipe with paper towels.

by Anonymousreply 359February 21, 2021 6:15 AM

Nomadland- why is she living in these ghost towns filled with tweakers? Why doesn’t she get a life?

by Anonymousreply 360February 21, 2021 6:18 AM

Will Frankie taking a shit be her Oscar presentation clip?

by Anonymousreply 361February 21, 2021 6:19 AM

Frannie ^

by Anonymousreply 362February 21, 2021 6:19 AM

Omg hanging out with Nomadland van people is my nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 363February 21, 2021 6:27 AM

how a gorgeous guy like him end up with that woman

R355 is just another variant of the perplexing mystery that DL fails to solve

by Anonymousreply 364February 21, 2021 6:33 AM

She’s not the same as Gone Girl at all. She’s capitalism personified. Jeez, some of you have no ability to discern anything, you just think everything is the same.

by Anonymousreply 365February 21, 2021 6:45 AM

Surely grandpa David straithairn isn’t so god damn studly in Nomadland. I’m sure she was fucking Swankie and Linda May too. The obese dyke showing off her tattoos at Amazon and more.

by Anonymousreply 366February 21, 2021 7:08 AM

Give me the Gold!

I've earned it!

by Anonymousreply 367February 21, 2021 7:37 AM

Wtf G come in here and start grasping at straws. Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 368February 21, 2021 8:43 AM

Can we please annoy the Trumpers one more time and have the Bidens present an Oscar by Zoom or perhaps give another Super Bowl type public service announcement before the 2nd most watched US television event of the year? It might send them over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 369February 23, 2021 4:13 AM

Even better have then show up at the Dolby with Dr. Jill in a ball gown and the president in his best tux to present Best Picture. The Trumpers' heads will explode.

by Anonymousreply 370February 23, 2021 4:16 AM

r370 He's almost 80. He's not showing up at any huge gatherings even if he's already been vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 371February 23, 2021 4:21 AM

Best Director via Zoom would still send them over the edge..

by Anonymousreply 372February 23, 2021 4:26 AM

Yuck. Another bad Oscar year. No one deserves an Oscar this year!

by Anonymousreply 373February 23, 2021 4:52 AM

We’re not like the Deplorables who do everything to own the Libs. It doesn’t really work, no matter which side does it.

What’s the point of Biden presenting? All you’d get is some performative outrage from conservatives about how Biden only cares about those liberal elites from Hollyweird.

by Anonymousreply 374February 23, 2021 4:54 AM

It must just burn Dump's soul that Biden and Dr. Jill are welcome in every grand ballroom at any huge event in the country he has never or will never be accepted in.

by Anonymousreply 375February 23, 2021 5:01 AM

Wait until someone makes the documentary, Full Diapers: Donald Trump’s Endless Battle with Adult Incontinence, and they give it an Oscar. That’ll really get Trump and his supporters. Directed by Michael Moore.

by Anonymousreply 376February 23, 2021 5:08 AM

(You know Trump stood like that, tilting forward, because he was trying to create room in his full diaper.)

by Anonymousreply 377February 23, 2021 5:09 AM

Reps always pretend they don't care about Hollywood but the morning after the Oscars 99% of Facebooking posts I see about dresses and diamonds are from fraus.

by Anonymousreply 378February 23, 2021 5:24 AM

Only in a year as bereft in quality as 2020 could Promising Young Woman be a leading contender for a number of top Oscars. What a horrible movie. I didn't have any problem with the main conceit of the story whatsoever, but the way in which it was told was so ineptly done in every single aspect. Bad writing, terrible cinematography, awful score and completely amateurish directing. This felt like a student film someone threw a few bucks at. Wow, I cannot believe all the overpraise this thing is getting.

And performances.... Mulligan was fine, and the fact that she is a charisma void in every other film she's ever made actually works in her favor here. It's too bad the director didn't know how to take advantage of it. Her performance might have been something to talk about. I found Bo Burnham somewhat charming (and I guessed his twist ten minutes after his introduction) but I have no idea why anyone is talking about a supporting actor nomination for him. Also- when you cast well known actors and give them nothing to do (Jennifer Coolidge, Molly Shannon, Connie Britton, etc.) it makes them stick out like a sore thumb and throws the viewer out of the scene. It's not like anyone in this movie was going to help at the box office, so why not just cast actors who are going to disappear into their small roles instead of announcing with every scene- Hey, look who I know!

When Laverne Cox is the least objectionable thing about your movie, you know you're in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 379February 24, 2021 9:47 AM

Nomadland will NOT win Best Picture because it’s a fucking semi-documentary.

by Anonymousreply 380February 24, 2021 3:50 PM

Nomadland is brilliant, timely, and a hell of a lot better than most of the bullshit being peddled for Oscars.

Da 5 Bloods, Let Them All Talk, and Nomadland have been my favorites this year.

by Anonymousreply 381February 24, 2021 3:57 PM

How is Nomadland “timely”? It’s set in 2012 during the Obama era. The Trial of the Chicago 7 is set in 1969/1970 and is incredibly timely for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 382February 24, 2021 5:26 PM

Nomadland is about the gig economy that was emerging during that time period and has only become more prevalent now. That's the timeliness.

And Trial of the Chicago 7 might be about political protests, but it also sidelines its one major black character in favor of the white guys, so it's not exactly in line with the current political mood. And you know pundits are going to use Judas and the Black Messiah as a cudgel against Sorkin's movie, even though it's unfair to both movies.

by Anonymousreply 383February 24, 2021 6:24 PM

Trial of the Chicago 7 doesn’t “sideline” its black characters. It only features them as much as they were featured in the actual event. Give it a fucking rest.

by Anonymousreply 384February 24, 2021 8:07 PM

It makes no sense to claim that Trial of the Chicago 7 appropriately places its black protestors in secondary roles and yet it's also an incredibly timely film, since the protests last year from which it earns its supposed relevance were absolutely centered around black people.

Besides, if Trial of the Chicago 7 wins, it will be because it's the old-fashioned, classically crafted entry in the race that taps into the deep well of Boomer nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 385February 24, 2021 9:47 PM

I said on another thread that I loved Nomadland because it felt like a scripted documentary. But after reflecting all day? Nothing about it has stuck with me. I've already forgotten much of what it was saying. It's sort of like a line of coke. Feels fantastic in the moment, but its ephemeral nature is its inevitable downfall.

by Anonymousreply 386February 25, 2021 2:22 AM

Nomadland is the film equivalent of The Emperor’s New Clothes. Many are raving about it right now but it’s a big fat nothing. It’s fundamentally hollow. People are seeing profundity in it hecause of the beautiful imagery, not because of the content. I can’t wait to read what those Oscar voters have to say about it in the inevitable Hollywood Reporter interviews.

by Anonymousreply 387February 25, 2021 2:47 AM

Of course contrary Datalounge hates Nomadland.

I think it’s very deserving of its praise.

by Anonymousreply 388February 25, 2021 2:51 AM

I finally watched Hillbilly Elegy and what a piece of shit that was. No way should Glenn be nominated. Even her smoking was over the top and playing to the far back of the balcony. The whole thing was a disaster from start to finish. Howard's sloppiest most garbage mixed bag movie of his career. And Freida Pinto looked like a 40 year college student.

by Anonymousreply 389February 25, 2021 2:57 AM

[R379] But Connie Britton actually did something with her appearance in PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN. She managed that I felt some sympathy for the smug complicit she really was. Intense and well played scene.

by Anonymousreply 390February 25, 2021 4:01 AM

Britton did nothing that could have been done casting an unknown or lesser known character actor. I think your argument could be applied to Alfred Molina (which is why I purposely left his name out), but every time the "tv stars" showed up for their little cameos, it threw me right out of the film. Adam Brody- I kept expecting him to show up again because he's Adam Brody. Max Greenfield- I'm sitting there thinking, That's ALL they gave him to do? And I felt the same with Molly Shannon and Connie Britton. (In the case of Jennifer Coolidge, I thought she was entirely miscast both in terms of name recognition/size of the role and the fact that she is incapable of playing an actual human being.)

This is not the only film that has ever done this and done it badly, so I'm not singling it out for it. It's just with everything else that was so wrong and so bad about this film, it didn't need yet another thing to make it not work.

by Anonymousreply 391February 25, 2021 4:34 AM

Chicago 7 movie? No one gives a shot about that. It’s not winning anything big. Someone comes in here obsessed with it all the time though.

by Anonymousreply 392February 25, 2021 4:51 AM

Completely agree with you, R379. Just don’t try voicing that opinion around much. I had SJWs assaulting me on FB for a week because I remarked on an Indiewire post that the film was fundamentally dishonest and contrived. Oh, and that I wanted better outcomes for women than killing themselves. Oh the cries! “But I want to kill myself!!!” Bunch of perpetual victimising nutters.

And Carey Mulligan looks feeble in her film compared to the steeliness of Rosamund Pike. Mulligan’s character doesn’t have to earn anything in the film, everything is just handed to her. Laverne Cox’s cafe wouldn’t stay open a week the way she runs her business - where does Mulligan’s character get all of her money, for car, her outfits, all the going out, etc., her fake blonde hair extensions? You know when Alison Brie can’t make your script work, you’re in danger, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 393February 25, 2021 1:48 PM

R392, you’re an idiot. It’s a frontrunner. Pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 394February 25, 2021 2:17 PM

R393, yes, I had the exact same thoughts about her money. I assumed she got it from her parents, that they let her have anything she wanted, and I'm sure that's how the writer/director would excuse it. However, that flies in the face of her parents wanting her to be more independent AND wanting her out of the house, and the things she had (or acquired) to put her plan into play required far too much money for her parents to not question why she needed so much (the outfits, the hustler, the guy she paid waiting to beat someone up, etc.). Everything was just conveniently provided with no thought to reality.

And even though the film was told in a somewhat dreamlike manner, there was still far too much of the real world crashing in for that style (or blatant ignoring of logic) to not make a huge difference. A more skilled director would have known to make a choice and go with it. Even the cinematography was at odds with itself. You had all these bright, candy colors set against the most inept, flat lighting and camerawork. The way the cafe was shot is a perfect example. It looked like a tiny space that was overly art directed to make it seem like a viable store, yet it was shot to disguise that they were likely shooting in some alcove with no extras and no room to move the camera. I was in absolute shock at how amateurish the look of the film was. I looked up the DP, Benjamin Kracun. He's mostly done shorts and TV, but he's done enough that you would think he'd have figured it out by now. I've only ever seen one other example of his work, the film Beast. I barely remember the cinematography, but there was a lot of outdoor, natural lighting in that, so maybe his lack of talent wasn't as noticeable. Or maybe he does better with stronger directors who know what they want.

by Anonymousreply 395February 25, 2021 8:38 PM

Quit discussing the fucking movie like that u will spoil

by Anonymousreply 396February 25, 2021 8:47 PM

Oh shut up, there's nothing I said that was a spoiler. If you're so worried about it, then skip the posts about the movie until you see it, you stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 397February 25, 2021 8:49 PM

You’re sassy, R397. Me like.

by Anonymousreply 398February 25, 2021 9:30 PM

Oscars: 366 Films Eligible for Best Picture, Most in 50 Years:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399February 26, 2021 1:13 AM

The relaxed screenings rules plus the expanded eligibility period probably helped, even though so many of the big tent pole pictures were pushed back.

by Anonymousreply 400February 26, 2021 1:40 AM

What happened to West Side Story?

by Anonymousreply 401February 26, 2021 1:42 AM

It was pushed back so that people will forget both the allegations against Ansel Elgort and that it was a stupid idea in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 402February 26, 2021 1:46 AM

I’m sure that B’way revival must be over now too. They’d have to recast the whole thing and likely nobody remembers the choreography....

by Anonymousreply 403February 26, 2021 2:30 PM

The girl who plays Maria in the film remake has landed the lead role in the next Shazam movie opposite Zachary Levi. Lucky little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 404February 26, 2021 3:01 PM

Feinberg Forecast: The Oscar Race Heading in to the Golden Globes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405February 27, 2021 4:44 AM

R366 You have some serious problems.

by Anonymousreply 406February 27, 2021 4:59 AM

R393 Uhmm, she has a job that pays her?

by Anonymousreply 407February 27, 2021 5:00 AM

R397 Fuck your mother.

by Anonymousreply 408February 27, 2021 5:17 AM

I wanna see Miss Viola Davis and Carey Mulligan in the same room Sunday night.

by Anonymousreply 409February 27, 2021 5:38 AM

R409, Miss Drew Carey does not belong in the same room as I. She is just another little white Miss Anne that Hollywood wants to shove down people's throats. I am a true and gifted ARTISTE who weaves a spell with her innate gift of storytelling and gives a much needed voice to all the nameless, faceless and voiceless women of color. There is something maternal about my craft because I give birth to these various vivid and unforgettable characters with my masterful performances. And NO ONE is better suited to tell tales of suffering like I am.

And don't you forget I am a SEXUAL woman!

by Anonymousreply 410February 27, 2021 7:45 AM

R409 I'd like to seem them together as lovers in a film with some provocative sex scenes.

by Anonymousreply 411February 27, 2021 7:48 AM

Lol. I actually Jadore the Viola troll. And expect nothing less than a Bette Midler stank face holding back an eye roll should she lose to Ms Mulligan

by Anonymousreply 412February 27, 2021 7:51 AM

Are we all in agreement its Carey vs Viola? I don't think Fran is a threat. 3 Oscars ain't gonna happen for anyone now other than Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 413February 27, 2021 7:56 AM

Carey Mulligan is the frontrunner and likely winner

by Anonymousreply 414February 27, 2021 7:59 AM

Yes it's Carey and Viola but Mulligan is gonna win.

by Anonymousreply 415February 27, 2021 8:14 AM

I think it’s Fran vs. Viola.

by Anonymousreply 416February 27, 2021 11:23 AM

Viola’s “I deserve this” reputation has to be out there amongst the voters.

by Anonymousreply 417February 27, 2021 11:28 AM

Just watched The Father. NOTHING comes close to the brilliance of Hopkins’ performance and certainly not Boseman’s.

by Anonymousreply 418February 27, 2021 2:30 PM

Viola in THAT movie? Oh no, sweetie. There will be no win for that performance. None at all.

The person who writes LONG multi-paragraph screeds about how much they dislike Promising Young Woman was on the last Oscar thread doing the same thing. Have you created enough material for a book at this point, dear?

by Anonymousreply 419February 27, 2021 2:40 PM

R418 Lindo is miles better than both.

by Anonymousreply 420February 27, 2021 2:42 PM

I’d place Lindo second on my ballot. Hopkins’ performance is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 421February 27, 2021 4:02 PM

If you're talking about me, R419, I just saw the film a couple days ago, and that's when I first posted about it, so you're obviously wrong, dear.

by Anonymousreply 422February 27, 2021 8:36 PM

Hopkins and the dad from Minari are the two only affecting performances. Sorry I gave Many threes tries but it was fucking ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 423February 28, 2021 3:53 AM

Mank*

by Anonymousreply 424February 28, 2021 3:53 AM

There’s a big reason Nomadland won’t win Best Picture. Apart from McDormand and Strathairn the rest of the cast are made up of local non-actors (using their own names, how cutesy). Actors take up a large voting block of the Academy. Most of them will not just not place Nomadland first they’ll place it last because of that very reason. It didn’t even get nominated for Best Cast of a Motion Picture at the SAG Awards. Do the math. It ain’t winning.

by Anonymousreply 425February 28, 2021 4:54 PM

Andra Day should be nominated for her hauntingly fierce, transfixing, and transcendent performance as Billie Holiday. She shoots, penetrates, and burns like a red-hot laser and manages to save an unfocused and, at times, fickle film, providing and grounding it with an aching heart and soul.

by Anonymousreply 426February 28, 2021 5:34 PM

Day’s work also made me wish the producers had opted to invest in a miniseries on Holiday’s life and career, with Day in the lead, of course.

:chef’s kiss:

by Anonymousreply 427February 28, 2021 5:37 PM

Minari is just wonderful. The actress who played the grandmother should really be the frontrunner. It was the superior “grandma” performance of the season.

by Anonymousreply 428February 28, 2021 7:20 PM

Good luck to her.

by Anonymousreply 429February 28, 2021 7:37 PM

Is there is a Golden Globe thread yet? How are we supposed to offer pointless bitchery?

by Anonymousreply 430February 28, 2021 11:08 PM

So are all the ones swearing up and down that Emmanuelle Riva would win for Amour are the same losers who are rooting for Nomadland? I think they are.

by Anonymousreply 431February 28, 2021 11:14 PM

Yes, what r430 asked.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 432February 28, 2021 11:15 PM

link

by Anonymousreply 433February 28, 2021 11:35 PM

Day won the Globe. Fucking YAS!

by Anonymousreply 434March 1, 2021 4:40 AM

My picks:

Best Picture: [italic]Da 5 Bloods[/italic]

Best Director: Spike Lee, [italic]Da 5 Bloods[/italic]

Best Actress: Andra Day, [italic]The United States vs. Billie Holiday[/italic]

Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, [italic]Da 5 Bloods[/italic]

Best Supporting Actress: Glenn Close, [italic]Hillbilly Elegy[/italic]

Best Supporting Actor: Chadwick Boseman, [italic]Da 5 Bloods[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 435March 1, 2021 5:20 AM

Chiiile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436March 1, 2021 6:34 AM

So the Globes went against the consensus here that Carey Mulligan and Glenn Close were the front-runners, and chose actresses without a hope of winning a SAG award in all three categories. Did the wacky HFPA just choose the contenders they saw last? Or are Day, Pike and Foster stronger than people think?

I think this probably means Day and Foster get in now, but Pike's only shot is if Vanessa Kirby is weaker than we think. Since Burstyn has been ignored everywhere and Pieces of a Woman has no buzz right now, that's probably a possibility people have to start considering.

by Anonymousreply 437March 1, 2021 11:34 AM

Pike’s acceptance speech was goofy & off-putting. I don’t see her getting in. Foster, definitely. Day, too, I think.

by Anonymousreply 438March 1, 2021 11:47 AM

I think the effect of acceptance speeches is overstated, especially this year when the Zoom set-up means that even a normal acceptance speech seems weird. I don't think Pike will ultimately get in, but a goofy, off-putting acceptance speech doesn't factor into that at all.

by Anonymousreply 439March 1, 2021 3:19 PM

The Guilty White People’s Golden Globes last night will have zero influence on the Oscar race.

Nomadland will not win Best Picture. Actors take up the biggest chunk of the Academy (1250 or so members) and no fucking way will most of them choose a film with 90% non actors.

by Anonymousreply 440March 1, 2021 4:14 PM

I hope Day wins. If they could give it to that bug-eyed creature for an even worse biopic a few years ago, they can give it to Day. Her work is too good in USvsBH.

by Anonymousreply 441March 1, 2021 4:18 PM

[quote]The Guilty White People’s Golden Globes last night will have zero influence on the Oscar race.

How was this "The Guilty White People's Golden Globes"? Day won because she's received almost universally fabulous reviews for her performance, which makes her arguably just as deserving as any white actress who also received great reviews this season. Granted, Chadwick likely only won because he died but how is that any different than when they did the same for Heath Ledger?

I get so tired of the fucking bigots and their racist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 442March 1, 2021 6:50 PM

There were also the wins of Daniel Kaluuya and John Boyega, neither of which is any great talent.

by Anonymousreply 443March 1, 2021 6:59 PM

R443 And no white actor in history, "without great talent", has ever, ever won. Right.

by Anonymousreply 444March 1, 2021 7:07 PM

I answered the question posed at R442.

by Anonymousreply 445March 1, 2021 7:15 PM

R441 "If they could give it to that bug-eyed creature for an even worse biopic a few years ago" Who?

by Anonymousreply 446March 3, 2021 5:11 AM

The problem with the "Oscars is too white" movement is that it only cares if black actors win. Forget the Asian or Latinos who win. Chloe Zhao, who is that?

by Anonymousreply 447March 3, 2021 5:40 AM

Holy shit, I'm watching "Cherry" with Tom Holland and I had to take a break. What a fucking terrible movie. The Russo Brothers cashed in their favors for THIS? They'll be stuck doing superhero movies for the rest of their careers after this disaster.

That being said, Tom Holland is very good in it and is the only reason I'm actually going back in.

And James Gandolfini's son is gay from space. It'll be interesting to see how he fares in the Sopranos prequel.

by Anonymousreply 448March 3, 2021 8:17 AM

R447 Latino is not a race

by Anonymousreply 449March 3, 2021 8:49 AM

Nomadland is as full of shit as the bucket that McDormand’s character craps into.

by Anonymousreply 450March 3, 2021 9:22 AM

And she wiped with paper towels!

There was also a scene where she pees.

by Anonymousreply 451March 3, 2021 12:07 PM

R449 The whole construct of "race" problematic, and no one claimed that "Latino" was a race (not sure where and why you need to "remind" us).

The "Oscars So White" is simply part of the consciousness that observes that the white dominant culture is "over-represented" - which is to say those who don't fit the white profiles are under-represented. That's why People of Color has been a useful overarching term to describe those who have been commonly marginalized. People make fun of criticize the "POC" language as somehow being "politically correct" - and this criticism conveniently completely ignore the original critique. "Cancel Culture"... "Politically Correct".... "Latino is not a race!" are bulwarks to protect and extend the current cultural power arrangements.

In short, Latinos have consistently been under-represented in the employment and awarding achievement in the Movie biz, which is the critique offered for thoughtful, ethical, compassionate consideration. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 452March 3, 2021 2:50 PM

I want Maria Conchita Alonso to step forward as the brilliant actress and legend that she is!!!

by Anonymousreply 453March 3, 2021 2:53 PM

I think was surprised by the Boyega GG win. I watched all 7 hours of Small Axe and thought he was the only weak actor in it.

by Anonymousreply 454March 3, 2021 7:42 PM

I hope the Oscars snub Carey Mulligan. All the fans of that awful, amateurish movie would consider it personal abuse.

by Anonymousreply 455March 3, 2021 7:46 PM

Boyega is a weak actor in everything.

by Anonymousreply 456March 3, 2021 8:19 PM

I bailed on Cherry after another 15 min. Garbage.

by Anonymousreply 457March 3, 2021 10:15 PM

I am starting to feel like Vanessa Kirby might be a surprise snub.

by Anonymousreply 458March 4, 2021 9:01 PM

Watched The Little Things last night. Was there any reason to set it in 1990 other than the writer/director was too lazy to update his 30 year old script? What a waste of two hours.

by Anonymousreply 459March 4, 2021 9:05 PM

I'm almost about to drop Kirby in favor of Rosamund Pike. Kirby should get in, but nobody has talked about her film for ages, and it's really only a play for her at this point (sorry, Ellen Burstyn).

And setting The Little Things in 1990 was the one good idea that dumb movie had. Modern serial killer movies can't adequately grapple with the prevalence of cell phones and surveillance measures, so setting it in that era meant the film didn't need to invent convoluted reasons for why Leto's character could escape surveillance.

by Anonymousreply 460March 4, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] And setting The Little Things in 1990 was the one good idea that dumb movie had. Modern serial killer movies can't adequately grapple with the prevalence of cell phones and surveillance measures, so setting it in that era meant the film didn't need to invent convoluted reasons for why Leto's character could escape surveillance.

In other words, lazy.

by Anonymousreply 461March 4, 2021 9:15 PM

Feinberg Forecast: The Lay of the Land As Oscar Nomination Voting Begins:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462March 5, 2021 2:41 PM

R462, those Feinberg forecasts are completely worthless. His top five for the acting races have not changed in over a month even after the events of the Golden Globes. He still has Sophia Loren in his Best Actress top five which is just not happening at this point (or, at least, as a fifth slot).

Worthless prognosticator.

by Anonymousreply 463March 5, 2021 3:56 PM

L.A. Times: Here are our Oscar predictions for the acting races. And tips on others to consider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464March 5, 2021 7:28 PM

I watched Minari last night and it was fine, but it's being super overhyped. And there were a couple deus ex machinas towards the end that strained credibility to the max. I don't think Steven Yeun deserves a nomination. The grandmother was fine, but I wouldn't give her an Oscar. I think the MVP was the actress who played Yeun's wife, Yeri Han. She deserves a nomination.

Also watched On the Rocks, which was a complete waste of time. Incredibly lazy, privileged filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 465March 5, 2021 9:01 PM

R465 I am exactly the person that Minari should appeal to... and I watched it last week with high expectations. And I totally agree that it was fine, but given the hype it was disappointing. A "slight" little movie. And the only acting that seemed awards-worthy was the wife, yep.

by Anonymousreply 466March 5, 2021 11:26 PM

R466, R465 I loved the little boy's performance too.

by Anonymousreply 467March 6, 2021 12:24 AM

He was good. But who knows how much of that was manipulated.

by Anonymousreply 468March 6, 2021 1:11 AM

I enjoyed Day in USVBH but the movie was heaping, steaming, overflowing pile of shit. It was so awful and well written it almost begs to hurt her chances. It's way worse than The Butler and The Paper Boy. The drug sequence through her mother's whorehouse and little girl leading him through the tour was fucking weird, creepy and not at all interesting in any way no matter how dreamlike he tried to make it. The weird crying in the church over Chiquita by the obese sidekick was just a strange scene to keep in there and the dialogue was as absurd as the direction itself. A fine performance trapped and beaten by a garbage film around it. Just a total and utter mess. I put Carey and St Vi back in front.

by Anonymousreply 469March 6, 2021 3:51 AM

*not well written

by Anonymousreply 470March 6, 2021 3:51 AM

R469 Bitch, please. USvsBH isn’t masterful filmmaking but it’s certainly buoyed by Day’s masterful performance. She can definitely win Best Actress for it and it would be deserved. Much more so than that Bohemian Rhapsody dreck.

by Anonymousreply 471March 6, 2021 4:00 AM

Better than Bohemian Rhapsody isn’t that much of a compliment, R471. And Academy members were under some mass delusion that the Bryan Singer movie wasn’t horrible, probably because of that film’s massive box office combined with the most shameless Oscar campaign ever not involving Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 472March 6, 2021 4:33 AM

R472 Not to mention that the last black Best Actress winner was nearly 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 473March 6, 2021 4:35 AM

I had only seen ever seen Rami Malek in BH. I never watched Mr. Robot, nor have I seen his few other films until I watched The Little Things. He is a really terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 474March 6, 2021 4:38 AM

Critics Choice Awards tomorrow night. Maybe we will get a better idea whether Carey or Viola is the true frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 475March 6, 2021 8:42 PM

Viola will not win. Her performance has zero passionate support. Its a good performance, but there is zero "buzz"... Which is odd because you would think that film would have MAJOR support/passionate reviews. What it has is "respect"... And that's not enough.

And good, because I am tired of Viola.

I would rather Day get it. And of course Mulligan.

And my favorite performance is still Kirby's. Its no one else's though. I thought that chick was a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 476March 6, 2021 8:50 PM

R474 Yep, his performance in a truly awful movies was the worst oscar-winning performance... at least in my judgement. What best actor winner was worse?

by Anonymousreply 477March 6, 2021 9:20 PM

Maybe Pacino in Scent Of a Woman, R477-

And that dude in The Artist...

by Anonymousreply 478March 6, 2021 9:24 PM

R488 Pacino's performance was a gifted actor going over the top, too much. Jean Dujardin (like Roberto Benigni) was highly mannered... not to my taste. but neither were horrid like Malek.

by Anonymousreply 479March 6, 2021 9:30 PM

Pacino was fun and moving in Scent of a Woman. Malek was just bad and irritating.

by Anonymousreply 480March 6, 2021 9:42 PM

Rami Malek looks like the little statue from The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 481March 6, 2021 10:18 PM

Look for the Exorcist origin story Pazuzu: The Beginning starring Rami Malek only in theatres in June 2022.

by Anonymousreply 482March 6, 2021 11:30 PM

R482 I always thought that that was proof that vowels can sink a movie.

by Anonymousreply 483March 6, 2021 11:36 PM

Variety thinks Maria Borat and Amanda Wide Eyes will be snubbed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484March 7, 2021 1:39 AM

Rami Malek is more of a model than an actress. He posed a lot in Mr. Robot and sashayed his way through BH. It’s embarrassing he has an Oscar, esp. for playing Freddie Mercury of all things.

by Anonymousreply 485March 7, 2021 2:36 AM

I would love to see Mads get nominated for Another Round.

I don’t get the love for Leslie Odom Jr. at all. Or that film which was very undistinguished and a total bore.

I don’t think Emerald Fennell will get a Best Director nom nor do I think PYW will get as many noms as predicted.

by Anonymousreply 486March 7, 2021 2:43 AM

R481 😂🤣😂🤣😂

by Anonymousreply 487March 7, 2021 2:48 AM

Emerald Fennel deserves NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 488March 7, 2021 3:39 AM

I have not seen EVERY Best Actor performance but here are some that I thought were on par with Malek.

Charlton Heston for Ben-Hur

Pacino for SOAW

Roberto Begnini for Life is Beautiful

Russell Crowe for Gladiator

Denzel Washington for Training Day

Sean Penn for Mystic River (but I thought he deserved it the same year for 21 Grams)

Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything

by Anonymousreply 489March 7, 2021 3:48 AM

Daniel Kaluuya just won the Critics Choice Award. I still don’t think he’ll win the Oscar after that horrendous Golden Globes speech.

by Anonymousreply 490March 7, 2021 11:21 PM

Maria Bakalova’s speech was very endearing.

by Anonymousreply 491March 8, 2021 1:26 AM

omg the Critics Choice Awards could not be trashier. Its an unmitigated catastrophe 10 minutes in.

by Anonymousreply 492March 8, 2021 2:09 AM

Miss Carey went right after International Women's Day in her acceptance speech. Excellent touch. Meanwhile Viola didn't exactly give a stank face but there was no smile behind her deliberate claps. Though I did see she is now pimping Loreal in all her saintly glamour.

by Anonymousreply 493March 8, 2021 4:53 AM

PGA Nominations are out today. The Father is the big snub, while Borat Subsequent Moviefilm is the big surprise. Here's the full list:

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Judas and the Black Messiah

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Mank

Minari

Nomadland

One Night in Miami

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

Trial of the Chicago 7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494March 8, 2021 5:20 PM

Boy is that list from hunger. A truly awful year for film.

by Anonymousreply 495March 8, 2021 6:21 PM

BAFTA nominations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496March 9, 2021 8:03 PM

Those BAFTA nominations are so crazy that I think we can safely ignore them, especially in the Actress categories. They snubbed both of the front-runners in that category and nominated two actresses who aren't even eligible this year. And I knew Hillbilly Elegy would never be a BAFTA thing, but I never would have guessed they'd snub Olivia Colman, too.

The DGA went with the five most predictable choices, though: Zhao, Sorkin, Fincher, Fennell and Chung.

by Anonymousreply 497March 9, 2021 8:09 PM

Emerald Fennell's nomination really burns my ass because she's blatantly incompetent. I would have rather seen one of those Operation Bootstrap nominations from the Best First Film category make it into the mainstream one.

by Anonymousreply 498March 9, 2021 8:58 PM

Feinberg Forecast: The Oscar Landscape as Nomination Voting Continues:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499March 9, 2021 10:06 PM

Ahhh! Clark Peters got a BAFTA nod for Da 5 Bloods; so deserving. He and Lindo were sublime.

by Anonymousreply 500March 10, 2021 3:08 AM

Viola is falling fast

by Anonymousreply 501March 10, 2021 3:10 AM

Kick her fat ass to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 502March 10, 2021 3:33 AM

R500, Clarke Peters was NOT deserving of a BAFTA nomination. His is the least impressive performance in the film, he’s never been singled out in reviews or nominated for anything and the only reason he WAS nominated is because he’s an African-American who’s lived in the UK for several decades, where he psys his taxes.

by Anonymousreply 503March 10, 2021 10:51 PM

R503 Clarke Peters was marvelous. He and Lindo were the standouts for me.

by Anonymousreply 504March 11, 2021 12:10 AM

Christ, shut up, 5 Bloods troll. It's not happening.

by Anonymousreply 505March 11, 2021 12:27 AM

R505 Go back to the Allen vs. Farrow thread, Matt.

by Anonymousreply 506March 11, 2021 12:38 AM

Alan Kim could sneak into supporting with a Minari over-performance on nomination morning.

by Anonymousreply 507March 11, 2021 3:30 AM

Jesus, let's hope not. That kid was ham on rye.

by Anonymousreply 508March 11, 2021 5:05 AM

I thought he was wonderful and quite moving.

by Anonymousreply 509March 11, 2021 5:54 PM

I think Alan Kim’s adorable and endearing Critics Choice Award speech helps him immensely in the hunt for a nod (alongside the surprise BAFTA nod).

by Anonymousreply 510March 11, 2021 6:02 PM

He was far more effective than most of the contenders that have been in Supporting Actor lists all season especially that guy from One Night In Miami and Sasha Baron Cohen who keeps getting included just for playing against type.

by Anonymousreply 511March 11, 2021 6:07 PM

[QUOTE] especially that guy from One Night In Miami

I don’t understand this one at all.

by Anonymousreply 512March 11, 2021 8:43 PM

No way will three women be nominated for Best Director. That hot BU kid on YouTube needs a reality check.

by Anonymousreply 513March 11, 2021 9:26 PM

r513. I suspect two will however which will be a first. Reggie King will be left off.

by Anonymousreply 514March 11, 2021 9:28 PM

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 515March 11, 2021 9:29 PM

Emerald Fennell is definitely making it in.

by Anonymousreply 516March 11, 2021 10:15 PM

Out of the five DGA nominees, I think Sorkin is probably the most likely to be left out for a directing nomination. Fennell looks pretty secure to me.

But if that happens, it won't be Regina King who gets in for such pedestrian direction. With so many international directors in that branch, we're probably underestimating someone like Thomas Vinterberg for Another Round.

by Anonymousreply 517March 11, 2021 10:25 PM

King's pedestrian direction (and I'm not disagreeing with you) is a lot better than Fennel's complete and utter incompetence. I'd say it was student filmmaking, but film students have more visual ambition.

by Anonymousreply 518March 11, 2021 10:29 PM

R517, no fucking way will Sorkin be left out. He’s very popular. And The Trial of the Chicago 7 will get a lot of nominations.

by Anonymousreply 519March 11, 2021 11:15 PM

Do you think he's really that popular among the director's branch, R519? Writers love him (not as much as you'd think, though, with his snubs for Steve Jobs, The American President and A Few Good Men), but I don't think it's far-fetched to suggest that the current director's branch would be unimpressed by his work.

by Anonymousreply 520March 11, 2021 11:34 PM

The direction in Chicago 7 is perfectly competent, but nothing else. Direction need not be flashy or draw attention to itself to be excellent—look at William Wyler, arguably the Golden Era’s most consistently excellent Director. If I studied his films analytically (I’m sure there have been many scholarly articles doing just that), I could eventually describe his muse en scene, his style, etc—but it doesn’t leap out you in the way Welles’ direction does. And having a signature doesn’t ensure quality—look at Tarantino, who I think is awful, but distinctive, or Spike Lee, who is also distinctive but repetitive to the point of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 521March 12, 2021 12:18 AM

Is there any chance Viola gets snubbed in favor of Rosamund Pike, Sophia Loren or the Minari mom (if she rides the movie picking up a slew of nominations)? I have a feeling Minari may sneak into a few categories unexpectedly including Director, Actress and Supporting Actor. I think the Lead Actor gets in for sure.

by Anonymousreply 522March 12, 2021 4:56 AM

I would love the Minari mom to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 523March 12, 2021 9:47 PM

The Oscars Faces Another Ratings Decline as Movies Become More Niche:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524March 13, 2021 1:18 AM

Any surprise nominations you bitches care to call? I'm calling Lee Isaac Chung for Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 525March 13, 2021 1:28 AM

That's not a surprise. There's no one else to nominate.

by Anonymousreply 526March 13, 2021 3:29 AM

I predict Florian Zeller will get either Fincher or Sorkin's nomination.

by Anonymousreply 527March 13, 2021 4:20 AM

The BIG surprise would be Alan Kim in Best Supporting Actor which I’m kind of hoping for so he knocks those pretentious mediocrities like SBC (at least in Chicago 7) and Leslie Odious Jr. out of the category.

by Anonymousreply 528March 13, 2021 4:46 AM

My no guys no glory pick for Monday is a surprise coattail nomination for Dominique Fishback.

by Anonymousreply 529March 13, 2021 10:06 PM

She’s starting to be mentioned now in predictions. I loved her in The Deuce on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 530March 13, 2021 10:08 PM

Predicting This Year's Oscar Nominations Using Just Math:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531March 13, 2021 11:17 PM

Anyone who thinks Sorkin isn’t getting a nomination is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 532March 13, 2021 11:45 PM

Honestly looking at contenders Viola wouldn't surprise me to be snubbed. Pike, Minari mom and Vanessa Kirby all wouldn't surprise me to pull off a nomination. I think only Fran, Mulligan and Day are sure things

by Anonymousreply 533March 14, 2021 2:01 AM

Glenn is iffy too. I think Jodie is in for sure and Glenn is the Amanda, Ellen Burstyn area

by Anonymousreply 534March 14, 2021 2:04 AM

I think Glenn is going to be a surprise snub.

by Anonymousreply 535March 14, 2021 4:00 PM

I don't think Sorkin is a shoo-in for Best Director. Chicago 7 was pretty pedestrian stuff plus that awful Frank Langella performance. Plus, y'know. It's a mediocre film.

by Anonymousreply 536March 14, 2021 4:05 PM

I would love to see Mulligan get snubbed like she did at the BAFTAs. Let that Variety critic have the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 537March 14, 2021 4:06 PM

Won’t somebody think of Joseph Gordon-Leavitt?

by Anonymousreply 538March 14, 2021 4:06 PM

Yeah, I can't believe Joseph Gordon-Leavitt didn't squeeze his way into a roundtable this year. His publicist must be slacking.

by Anonymousreply 539March 14, 2021 4:11 PM

Feinberg Forecast: Final Oscar Nominations Predictions:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540March 14, 2021 7:40 PM

R536, if it’s so mediocre why is it the only frontrunner along with Nomadland? None of the others come close. Sorkin will probably lose to Zhao, though. At least he’ll win for his screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 541March 14, 2021 9:05 PM

I also think Jodie gets in over Glenn. Jodie is an Academy fave. And voters just love to see her acting again.

by Anonymousreply 542March 15, 2021 3:08 AM

R537 Mulligan is the favorite. What the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 543March 15, 2021 3:32 AM

Is she? All she’s won is the Critic’s Choice which has zero overlap with the Academy.

I didn’t care from the movie or the sanctimonious way she promoted it, creating drama over a year old Variety review that didn’t even say what she thought it did. Plus she gives the same, low energy, flat performance in everything. It’s why she only gets cast as a profoundly depressed character all the time.

Thank you letting me get all that out.

by Anonymousreply 544March 15, 2021 8:58 AM

The Variety review said EXACTLY what she thought it did.

by Anonymousreply 545March 15, 2021 9:16 AM

Funny if Viola’s sexual performance was snubbed. She would have some righteous anger raining down on all of us.

by Anonymousreply 546March 15, 2021 9:39 AM

Oh R545, take it down a few notches, luv. You’re like Dylan Farrow on caffeinated coffee with a double shot of espresso.

by Anonymousreply 547March 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Is there no thread for the Oscar noms this morning? (Yes, I searched.)

by Anonymousreply 548March 15, 2021 12:32 PM

Glenn got her nomination.

by Anonymousreply 549March 15, 2021 12:35 PM

Poor Glenn. Relegated to the Supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 550March 15, 2021 12:44 PM

[quote]Anyone who thinks Sorkin isn’t getting a nomination is delusional.

Care to revise that, R532?

by Anonymousreply 551March 15, 2021 12:52 PM

Lol, you’re going to have a very hard night When Carey wins Best Actress, Klan Granny.

by Anonymousreply 552March 15, 2021 1:08 PM

If Olivia Colman wins over Glenn again this year, I shall be displeased.

by Anonymousreply 553March 15, 2021 1:13 PM

Sorkin was nominated for Best Screenplay R551. He was always a long shot for director. The direction was pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 554March 15, 2021 1:15 PM

Glad to see Thomas Vinterberg get a Best Director nod for Another Round. I only wish Mads had been nominated too.

by Anonymousreply 555March 15, 2021 1:31 PM

Another Round has just landed on Hulu.

R551, Sorkin’s one of thr five DGA nominees so my insistence he’d also get an Oscar nomination wasn’t wildly implausible, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 556March 15, 2021 5:27 PM

Read your own words, R556. You wrote "Anyone who thinks Sorkin isn't getting a nomination is delusional," not that it was merely plausible that Sorkin would get a directing nomination.

You're in no position to call anyone a dumbass if you can't even understand the difference between the two.

by Anonymousreply 557March 15, 2021 5:38 PM

Poor Meryl, nominated for nothing. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 558March 15, 2021 6:03 PM

Guess what, Lange loon- your precious Delroy was SNUBBED!

Maybe that will shut you the fuck up once and for all, but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 559March 15, 2021 9:22 PM

Matt the retard is back at R559. It must have tired of the Allen vs. Farrow threads, since its increasingly unhinged defenses of Allen were going nowhere. Maybe it’ll start bashing trans people again and get permanently banned.

by Anonymousreply 560March 15, 2021 9:26 PM

Oh look, the Lange loon is flinging Matt accusations at everything that posts again.

by Anonymousreply 561March 15, 2021 11:35 PM

The WGA gave its awards to Promising Young Woman (Original) and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Adapted). That’s not great for Nomadland, which was considered the frontrunner in Adapted, but even worse for Chicago 7, which really needed to win the Original prize to stay competitive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562March 22, 2021 4:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!