Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ben Affleck recalls 'racist, sexist' criticism of ex Jennifer Lopez

Ben Affleck is incredibly proud of what ex-fiancée, Jennifer Lopez, has accomplished — but he’ll never forget the “ugly s***” she dealt with when they were together.

“Bennifer” was one of the biggest celebrity couples of the early aughts, which happened to coincide with the rise of the tabloid industry. It also happened to coincide with some bad Affleck films —Daredevil, Surviving Christmas and Gigli — which the actor reflected on during The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast.

“You know, there’s always a story of the month, and me dating Jennifer Lopez happened to be that tabloid story at the time when that business grew exponentially,” he said. “The tabloids exploded, the internet started… they needed something to write about and we were that thing.”

When it came to his romance with Lopez, their two-year relationship ending in 2004, Affleck said they were the Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor of the time.

“Particularly in that case, at first it was like Dick and Liz. It was sort of this infatuation, ‘What an interesting couple!’ Then there was a ton of resentment,” he explained.

Lopez received the brunt of that resentment in the tabloid press which Affleck called “reckless and irresponsible.”

“The irony is not lost on me that Jennifer now — people were so f****** mean about her. Sexist, racist. Ugly, vicious s*** was written about her in ways that if you wrote it now, you would literally be fired for saying those things you said. Now it’s like, she’s lionized and respected for the work she did, where she came from, what she accomplished — as well she f****** should be!”

Affleck, who is still friends with Lopez, continued, “I would say you have a better chance from the Bronx, of ending up as like [Justice Sonia] Sotomayor on the Supreme Court than you do of having Jennifer Lopez’s career and being who she is at 50 years old today. Not that one has more value than the other, just on a pure odds level, pure hard work. I don’t think I met anybody that worked harder than Jennifer Lopez.”

When the couple split, Affleck’s career was in a shambles.

“I was depressed, had depression when I was younger, that was very difficult… I kind of had to develop a sense of, like, ‘I’m going to get through this no matter what. No matter how s***** it feels,’” he said.

“I never thought to myself, ‘I have no talent. I really am an a******. I really am some jerkoff shallow frat guy.’ I've never even been inside a fraternity, not that I have anything against it,’” he said, but noted he “was actually in the very worst position you can be in in this business.”

“Which is you can sell magazines but not movie tickets,” he recalled. “People were just saying, ‘You’re worthless. You’re talentless. You’re a hack. You’re a cad. You’re a nobody. You’re s***.’ And really — I guess I function well when I have something to prove.”

Affleck’s career rebounded, but he’s still shocked that some people think he craved that kind of attention in the press, or still does.

“Why in the world would I have wanted that?” he added. “Still, to this day, [some] will go, ‘I see you out there in the paparazzi and the pictures!’ It’s like, ‘Yes, I left my house and took out the trash….’ And it’s still like, ‘You were taking a pap walk!’ As if, if you leave your house, you’re only doing so in the hope that you could be so lucky that you could end up as the sixth item in The Daily Mail. It’s absurd!”

Affleck’s life has been under a microscope for decades, which included a public battle with alcoholism. The actor said he realized he was an alcoholic in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2021 9:01 AM

“I started drinking too much around the time of Justice League, and it's a hard thing to confront and face and deal with. I’ve been sober for a while now, and I feel really good and as healthy and good as I’ve ever felt,” he shared. “And the process of recovering from alcoholism has been really instructive. I think it’s great for people who aren’t alcoholics, you know? Like, ‘Be honest. Have integrity. Take accountability. Help other people.’ It’s a good set of things that they teach you. It took me a little while to get it — I had a few slips, like most people — but I feel really good.”

One of those slips happened while he was filming The Way Back, which is generating awards buzz for Affleck. He sought treatment in 2018 while making the movie.

“It took me several shots [at treatment] to get it,” he admitted. “It’s not an easy thing to do. It’s difficult.”

He added, “If you knew how many actors and directors and writers were alcoholics or compulsive in some way — I mean, it’s the most ordinary thing in the world in Hollywood. I’ve worked with actors who showed up drunk! And that was not me. I drank, like, alone in my living room and just passed out, like, with scotch. But I got sober.”

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2021 5:00 AM

[quote] I drank, like, alone in my living room and just passed out, like, with scotch. But I got sober.

For now.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2021 5:03 AM

Ben....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2021 5:16 AM

Hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2021 5:56 AM

Taco-flavored kisses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2021 6:20 AM

Ben is desperate for positive press.

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2021 6:45 AM

His teeth were yellow and ratty when he was with Jennifer.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2021 7:12 AM

I’m sure she loves having a drunk ex doing unnecessary PR for her.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2021 7:26 AM

Nobody told him to date his housekeeper. That's on him.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2021 7:28 AM

He's conveniently forgetting what a massive, yawping cunt she was pretty much from the get-go.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2021 7:36 AM

[quote] “I would say you have a better chance from the Bronx, of ending up as like [Justice Sonia] Sotomayor on the Supreme Court than you do of having Jennifer Lopez’s career ...I don’t think I met anybody that worked harder than Jennifer Lopez.”

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2021 7:38 AM

Ben hoping to tap that ass again if he says nice things about her in the press. Hit it, Ben!

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2021 9:10 AM

[quote] He's conveniently forgetting what a massive, yawping cunt she was pretty much from the get-go.

And she still is one!

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2021 11:39 AM

R12 he left her. Not the other way around.

I think he let people get in his head

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2021 12:56 PM

The majority of those vile comments about Bennifer were written by live moviegoers as they sat in the theater watching Gigli.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2021 3:23 PM

"Taco taco, burrito burrito.....tacco flavored kisses!"

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2021 7:19 PM

I don't remember any 'racist, sexist' criticsm of her. In fact, ALL I remember from her peak in the late 90s and early 00s is how the media was constantly up her ass, constantly saying how she is so sweet, beautiful and well-dressed. Other entertainers have received so much more criticism despite J Lo being the most tone-deaf person to ever reach A-list stardom. A fromer vocal coach said J Lo was flat-out tone-deaf and couldn't sing on key even after she taught her. Seems like nothing has changed.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2021 7:25 PM

I remember driving home with a heavy glass half-gallon of cool scotch when the radio played Ben’s addiction announcement - it would have been right before his first rehab. He’s an over-sharer.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2021 7:27 PM

Charlie Sheen is the one who told Ben Afflect he had an addiciton problem. I can only imagine how bad Afflecks addiction was. Can you imagine what it would take for CHARLIE SHEEN to tell you that you have an addicition? It had to be terrible.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2021 7:43 PM

"[R12] he left her. Not the other way around."

Doesn't mean he doesn't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2021 7:46 PM

He’s reaching back 20 years for a second-hand reason to drink.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2021 4:26 PM

When JLo was dating Puffy, he was the one who was considered ghetto and beneath her.

When she started dating Affleck, suddenly she was ghetto trash from the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Sounds like he was really in love with her. She was the one that got away...

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2021 7:50 PM

R22, didn't J lo have a part in that herself? Selling herself as "Jennie from the block" even though she grew up upper-middle class?

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2021 11:18 PM

R23 then maybe he shouldn't have cheated on her.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2021 3:34 AM

Why is he STILL talking about this almost 20 years later???? Jesus, he needs to move on.

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2021 3:44 AM

R24, neither are upper middle class. Children of teachers. Respectable working class with passable looks and a WHOLE lot of ambition.

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2021 4:20 AM

Oh please. He had no problem letting the press throw her under the bus while they low-key blamed her for his faltering movie career. He used that to rehabilitate his image with his fake little family pap strolls.

If he were still dating the Cuban he would not be uttering these words. He's so desperate.

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2021 4:35 AM

She's a world class narcissist, but still, he was lucky to have her. To go from someone like her to vanilla pudding like Jennifer Garner must feel like a major comedown.

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2021 4:40 AM

Liz and Dick? He wishes.

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2021 4:43 AM

What was racist about it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2021 4:45 AM

R30 Brangelina came closer to being a contemporary Liz and Dick then Bennifer. He's flattering himself. Unlike Bennifer the Burtons made a few hit movies together: The VIPs, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and The Taming of the Shrew.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2021 4:51 AM

Fuck J. Lo, like she needs defending then or now. She’s a very rich bitch nearly talent free. She chooses her battles. If she worried about criticism or excess talk then she wouldn’t be gyrating and singing like Eddie Murphy for the last twenty five years across any TV screen, commercial, urban video, or terrible rom com that would have her. Lock her up and away from my eyes. Her acting wasn’t good in the stripper movie either. Looking good and sliding down a pole at fifty isn’t Oscar worthy. No, she wasn’t charismatic. I always feel ‘desperate mediocre hood Joe’ from her no matter what she does.

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2021 4:52 AM

*hood hoe

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2021 4:53 AM

Ben should not be married to anyone. He can't commit to anything or anybody. 100% that's why Garner got knocked up and then dragged him off to elope. If she had planned an elaborate wedding, he would have jilted her just like he did Lopez. Ben's all about himself and will never change.

Congrats to Ana de Armas for wanting more out of life than to be his newest doormat. Let the hillbilly wipe his ass until the end of time -- she has nothing better to do.

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2021 5:59 AM

Jennifer Garner really is a basic frau hoe. She can’t act. Well she can play a straight up neurotic hoe and that’s it. Her part in Dallas Buyer’s Club? She couldn’t do a single thing with it where a good actress would have.

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2021 6:55 AM

I had hopes that "This Land is Your Land" would be a duet, marking the spectacular surprise return of Bennifer.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2021 7:09 AM

R36 she'll always have Alias.

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2021 7:41 AM

Carrying that torch!

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2021 8:27 AM

R22 this is a caste stratification NOT a racial one. You find exactly the same dynamics in racially homogenized countries. Ironically, by immediately framing a very common and human dilemma into one motivated by racial animus, you have yourself been racist!

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2021 8:53 AM

He has a thing for Spanish chicks doesn't he? Yet he had kids with the blandest white woman on Earth

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2021 9:26 AM

[Quote] Yet he had kids with the blandest white woman on Earth

Snookus and Blake are bland too.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2021 10:50 AM

And does Has Ben give specifics regarding the racist, sexist criticism. Or was that his perception? And why bring this up now?

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2021 2:19 PM

He dumped her and ran to the whitest, most vanilla woman in Hollywood on purpose. Why? Because he was so bothered and turned off by the racist comments he was hearing while being with J Lo.

He appeased people and saved his image by dropping the Latina and marrying the white All American girl.

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2021 2:37 PM

Waaah, I cry for the centimilllionaires.

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2021 2:44 PM

I used to post on other gossip message boards during the Bennifer affair. And this I remember very well: White women were mad as hell. They could not understand how Ben could go from WASP princess Gwyneth to Jennie from the Bronx. Back then Ben was still considered a good catch, even though he was already an alcoholic mess.

I thought they were both terrible but the racist comments were certainly there.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2021 9:44 PM

This was a good soundbite until he compared JLo to Sonia Sotomayor. Ok, now, he went too far.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2021 9:51 PM

I find the alleged information about Bennifer in this thread interesting. Can anybody confirm? Has this something to do with the sexist criticism?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2021 8:52 AM

"Don't forget the hot sauce, chulo!"

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2021 8:57 AM

[quote]And why bring this up now?

Because de Armas just dumped him, so he can't talk about her. Hillbilly Garner hasn't done jack shit in years and the whole coparenting schtick got old about five minutes after it started. Who else is he going to talk about? Goop?

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2021 9:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!