Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Night Stalker” document-series has viewers bitching its “too graphic”

How about don’t watch a docuseries about a serial killer if you can’t handle it being “graphic”??? They wanted the Oxygen Network version?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 7, 2021 5:44 AM

“I love serial killers but even I’m finding this Night Stalker guy extremely dark & twisted.”

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2021 3:29 AM

FRAUS ARE TAKING OVER!

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2021 3:42 AM

It’s about murder

And unicorns and rainbows!

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2021 4:23 AM

If the families gave permission for the crime photos to be seen then what's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2021 4:42 AM

People need to grow up

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2021 11:08 AM

I’ve only watched the first episode. Does it mention how Dianne Feinstein revealed sensitive ballistics and other info at a press conference, compromising the investigation?

That woman has always annoyed me. The only reason she has a career in politics is because of a tragic accident of history.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2021 2:12 AM

If you don’t like it, watch The Crown. He was a rapist and murderer. Of course, it’s going to graphic. He was a monster.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2021 2:21 AM

Yes, R6, they cover that.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2021 2:25 AM

Fascinating docu-series, but in the end, it eas a group of neighbors who captured him, not the detectives.

Night Staljer was gang stalked. LOL!

Scary shit. Probably the scariest serial killer out there, because he was so erratic and had no partticular MO or patterm, other than his shoe prints and the occasional pentagram.

What a fucking douche... a pentagram.

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2021 9:16 PM

The people who are bitching just wanted more courtroom images of Ramirez with his sunglasses on and cheekbones jutting out. Watching and hearing the graphic details of his murders and assaults kinda ruins their ladyboners.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2021 9:22 PM

r9, I totally agree. I truly believe Ramirez was the most horrifying serial killers that ever lived. The best part of the documentary was when that one woman called Ramirez groupies “dumb bitches”. They most certainly were. Added to the horrific things he did to his many victims, including rape of women and kids, was the fact that he had rotted teeth and really bad body odor. Very well done series.

r6, they cover that in Part 3.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2021 9:36 PM

I found it rather boring and nothing about Richard Ramirez frightens me. I love the way he was almost lynched by the members of a Hispanic community in LA before he was taken into police custody.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2021 9:42 PM

The doc didn’t capture his evil, or his real life. We know nothing of him outside of he had a rough childhood (they touch on it, but nothing too in-depth) and his victims.

I wanted to know more about him. Where and how did he live? Did he have jobs? Neighbors?

I wanted more about his motivations and psyche.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2021 9:44 PM

Much too focused on the cops who "caught" him (though he was really caught by local citizens) and those cops, while nice enough, just aren't very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2021 10:05 PM

The cops would’ve caught up to him eventually. He wasn’t investigated and named by citizens. They just recognized him because he was on the front page of newspapers that day. Let’s please not discount what the detectives did, as fun as that might be.

R12, I assume you were alive and living in L.A. at the time of the murders? Was it really actually boring then?

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2021 10:12 PM

R15, I'm not R12, but I was alive and was in LA when this happened, specifically, when he was caught.

I was a bi-coastal kid snd remember when the Hillside Stranglers were caught, and ehen Ramirez was caught, though I was a kid and then a teen.

When in LA, as a child, we lived in Glendale, and both of these serial crimes were happening too close to home.

I felt safer in Manhattan, than in Glendale, honestly.

Suburbia was very nice on the outside, but there were more seedy types which O encountered behind the facade in Glendale/Pasadena/Eagle Rock/Atwater/Los Feliz/Echo Park/Hollywood/WeHo, than in NYC, Westchester, Queens or Edgewater, NJ, that's for sure. Never had a serial killer bsck East, but they were abundant in California!

The 80s were crazy times.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2021 10:37 PM

An old friend of mine said her grandfather hired Richard Ramierz to help out on his farm in San Bernardino for a while before the killings began. Grandpa said he was a strange guy, but overall pretty nice.

I live in LA and I remember all of it. The thing that stuck with me was they said on the news that he would actually crawl on the floor when he was inside a house because he knew no one would look down if they thought someone was inside. Creepy shit.

When the guys in Boyle Heights caught him, it was all over the news. I still cannot pass Boyle Heights on the freeway and not think of The Night Stalker.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2021 10:44 PM

He lived in the Hotel Cecil, of all places.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2021 10:56 PM

I really didn't find the content to be too graphic, but I could have done without the bloody hammer falling and splattering blood.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2021 11:09 PM

Was it rape-rape though?

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2021 11:23 PM

r18, what’s the deal with the Hotel Cecil.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2021 11:26 PM

Yes, r18. The Ghost Adventures guys just did a show on the Hotel Cecil two weeks ago and claimed they were "talking to Richard." I guess a lot of shady shit has gone on there, including that woman who died in the water tower who was obviously schizophrenic.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2021 11:26 PM

R20, he raped kids, boys and girls. So yeah-it was rape rape.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2021 11:27 PM

I think there have been several other weird deaths/suicides going back to the 20s.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] what’s the deal with the Hotel Cecil.

Creepy place. I had lunch with friends in a nearby restaurant some years ago, and afterwards, we decided to check out the Hotel Cecil lobby just for kicks. Odd place with a heaviness to it, and I'm not at all even religious/spiritual. The front desk man did not seem amused by us being there -- they probably get a lot of curious lookie-loos -- so we made our way out rather quick.

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2021 11:34 PM

R21

There are plenty of articles about the Cecil - here is one to start with:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2021 11:35 PM

R21 Lots of weird things happen there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2021 11:37 PM

So the Hotel Cecil is where Ramirez took that 6 year old girl that he repeatedly raped? Dear God!

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2021 11:43 PM

R28, probably, but they don't specify. There are (or were) a number of derelict SROs in that part of town which attracted unsavory beings. It's still a rough part of town, and it was even rougher before it became hipsterized within the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2021 11:56 PM

I shouldn’t have watched this alone

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2021 12:14 AM

Amazing that he died of cancer. Why was he never executed?

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2021 12:35 AM

r31, my understanding is that the California death row appeal process takes a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2021 12:43 AM

R32, yeah. I've only ever heard of a handful of death row inmates ever being executed during my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2021 1:30 AM

Who the heck stays at that Cecil Hotel? Crazy people?

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2021 2:08 AM

R34, the hotel's sordid past probably brings in more business if anything -- from the morbidly curious.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2021 5:36 PM

Oddly enough, I found it to be a bit boring.

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2021 5:52 PM

Same here, R36. Nothing new that a true crime armchair enthusiast wouldn't know.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2021 6:03 PM

I liked it better than the "I'll be waiting in the Dark" series about the Golden State Killer. Both suffered, however, from too much attention paid to the detectives and journalists behind the scenes. I think a lot of viewers want to know more about the killer and victims.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2021 6:30 PM

There's hasn't been a documentary series yet on Netflix that really nailed it. Everything they've been pumping out has been aggressively mediocre. Some could argue for Tiger King, but all you had to do was turn the camera on those nutballs.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2021 7:08 PM

In possibly related news of interest, Netflix is releasing a docuseries about the Elisa Lam death at the freaky, aforementioned Cecil Hotel. It premieres next month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2021 7:13 PM

OP, they picked out a few random tweets to create a bullshit story.

The documentary was total shit. Totally boring.

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2021 7:20 PM

[quote] In possibly related news of interest, Netflix is releasing a docuseries about the Elisa Lam death at the freaky, aforementioned Cecil Hotel. It premieres next month.

What a mess. It’s been proven a million times that she had a mental break and they showed that the caps were off the water tanks. She was Bipolar. Let this poor girl rest. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 7:21 PM

How could they possibly squeeze a whole mini-series out of the Elisa Lam death? Good grief.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 7:23 PM

They can't but if Netflix loves to drag shows out. Remember when everyone thought Netflix was going to be HBOs big competition?

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2021 7:24 PM

Netflix realizes there's a big audience for this true crime stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they churn out a Hillside Strangler docuseries next.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2021 7:26 PM

Agree, R42. Young girl dealing with nasty mental illness. This is a shitty move from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 46January 20, 2021 7:31 PM

Elisa Lam's death would have warranted a 12-minute "Unexplained Death" segment on Unsolved Mysteries, at most. Not a multi-episode docu-series on Netflix. Lord knows how dull it's going to be.

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2021 8:00 PM

^They really should have just done a one-hour show about the Cecil Hotel and its sordid, unsavory history.

by Anonymousreply 48January 20, 2021 8:01 PM

American Horror Story: Hotel was done with the Cecil in mind.

by Anonymousreply 49January 20, 2021 8:03 PM

They should do a "Russian Doll" series on Lisa Lam where in each episode she winds up floating in the water tank in a different way.

by Anonymousreply 50January 20, 2021 10:28 PM

[QUOTE] There's hasn't been a documentary series yet on Netflix that really nailed it. Everything they've been pumping out has been aggressively mediocre.

The Ted Bundy Tapes nailed it, R39.

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote] Remember when everyone thought Netflix was going to be HBOs big competition?

It isn't?

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2021 2:05 AM

R52 It's not, there was a brief moment where people connected the idea of quality and Netflix, similarly to how HBO is thought off. Now it's just known for pumping out as many shows as possible, most of them are hit and miss.

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2021 2:17 AM

Please

Wasn't graphic at all

I wanted re-enactments

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2021 2:49 AM

It was less graphic than American Horror Story

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2021 8:25 PM

I finished all 4 episodes and thought it was done well overall. Too much focus on the cops though. They’re not fucking heroes.

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2021 1:26 AM

I like true crime. I like the first two thirds. First the unfolding of the story, the triggering incident, then the discovery period where the cops come in and start trying to solve the puzzle. When that phase ends and they ID the criminal and start closing in, it becomes less interesting.

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2021 1:39 AM

[QUOTE] I finished all 4 episodes and thought it was done well overall. Too much focus on the cops though. They’re not fucking heroes.

I think it was smart using the cops so we could see the case through the eyes of the investigators who were chasing him. Viewers love the whole good vs. evil, law enforcement manhunt puzzle.

And while those two detectives might not have been the ones who caught him, their tireless work a) led police to conclude these were the acts of a single killer, which was major, and b) built the case that led to his conviction.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2021 1:41 AM

When is someone gonna let DL make one of these miniseries so we can see Bitch on Wheels Shanana get what’s coming to her?

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2021 1:45 AM

This show is scarier than any horror movie I've seen in the past 5 years. Exceptionally well-made and grim. I think he was possessed by a demon, because there's no way he could do the things he did unless it was demonic possession.

Did any of you live in LA during this time? What precautions did you take to protect yourself? Was there a fear of picking up strangers at gay bars?

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2021 1:52 AM

[quote] Did any of you live in LA during this time?

I was in LA back then, but I was an infant. 😂 Based off what my parents and older siblings said, it sounded like a terrifying time. Locked windows during a sweltering summer. There was a belief that he targeted yellow houses by freeways, but I don't know if that ever proved true.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2021 7:31 PM

i actually fell asleep watching i think somewhere between the beginning of episode 3 and then woke up as the final episode, episode 4 was ending.... guess i need to see it again..skipping the first 2 episodes...

by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2021 7:34 PM

What were they expecting from a serial killer series?

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2021 12:56 AM

I can’t believe how many people he killed. Once they found his dentist and set up the surveillance operation, I figured “This is the end, time to catch the bad guy.” But he just kept going on and on and on. It was like “When the fuck do they get this guy?”

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2021 4:09 AM

Scary looking dude.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2021 9:17 PM

Totally incompetent detective and police work. This incompetence replicate across America during the 70s and 80s

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2021 9:52 PM

Not too graphic at all. If you’re going to watch or read anything about a serial killer you have to expect graphic details.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2021 10:02 PM

I'm on episode 3 and finding it very boring. Not sure why I'm continuing to watch yet here we are.

The 2 detectives are just boring AF and they narrate the whole thing.

Damn this guy murdered and raped a ton of people though. Horrible. And went after the elderly and children. I would have been scared AF if I lived in LA while this was happening.

by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2021 6:58 PM

R68 They are not only boring they are stupid, they let Ramirez get away when they had him in that China town dental center.

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2021 7:03 PM

I went to school with Ramirez's nephew.

Had that same sinister look but a pretty nice dude all around.

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2021 7:06 PM

yes r69 you're right. and after that shit at the dental office, he killed a more and raped some little boy.

so we are supposed to listen to these boring and stupid detectives narrate a 4 episode docuseries.

and yet i'm still watching................

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2021 7:08 PM

I could have done without the crime scene photos.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2021 7:09 PM

didn't they have the guy's name from the dentist? why didn't they release his name immediately to the media?

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2021 7:17 PM

He used a fake name.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2021 7:18 PM

oh okay. also why did they wait until like 100 people were murdered before releasing the sketch of him to the media?

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2021 7:20 PM

Yeah, unbelievable how many people died unnecessarily because of those dull as dirt, dumb as a box of rocks, bumbling Keystone cops. Same thing happened with Bundy. FFS, the cops on his case let that animal have free run of a library while he was in custody for serial murder. He escaped through a window and killed several more people before getting caught....again.

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2021 8:09 PM

I have one episode left of this snooze fest that i keep watching. End of episode 3 where the new boring white detective is bragging about punching ramirez's brother (friend?) in the back of the cop car and then threatening to rip him from top to tail (or whatever ridic phrase he used), winding up to punch him again and then the guy told him ramirez's last name....

wtf.

i know there are good cops, but these 3 guys are seemingly being presented as the best of the best (i assume - given that they are narrating the whole fucking thing) and they just seem slow AF.

could they find no other way to present this story?

and goddamn this psycho murdered and assaulted so many people. really really horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2021 9:43 PM

No such things as demons, r60. Just a sick dude who had some very large mental issues happening.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2021 10:20 PM

R66 Nothing has changed much from the 70’s and 80’s. Police departments are still incompetent and many have abysmal clearance rates.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2021 11:00 PM

He was a mess - abuse, mental illness and drugs. When they said his father would tie him to a gravestone and leave him there overnight for being bad...Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2021 11:13 PM

Zodiac was the same mess—the killer’s victims were all in different jurisdictions and the cops were too busy trying to out-alpha male each other. If they’d worked together, less people would’ve died.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2021 11:16 PM

I actually liked it because it didn’t focus on Ramirez as much as the cops, the effect on their lives, and on that forensics lady and the reporter. I was particularly moved by the effects on the guy’s marriage and also the story of the investigators who interviewed the little girl and the decision not to proceed with that in court.

A couple questions I had in regards with the kids and some of the victims. I don’t think think it was always referred to as a rape but sexual assault which made me think which made me think there was something even more twisted. The other thing I thought that wasn’t addressed was why he did not kill the children. A friend suggested perhaps in his twisted mind, he wanted them to be haunted and grow up living with that for the rest of their lives, which to me was even more evil and fucked up

I was in school when this happened so I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to the news. I only remember the arrest and trial.

by Anonymousreply 82January 26, 2021 1:18 AM

Why didn't the dentist put him to sleep and call the cops?

Also, wasn't it a little scary doing dental work on a serial killer with all those sharp objects around?

by Anonymousreply 83January 26, 2021 1:29 AM

R75 It is surprising the dumbass detectives were okay with Netflix highlighting their utter incompetence.

by Anonymousreply 84January 26, 2021 1:30 AM

[quote]oh okay. also why did they wait until like 100 people were murdered before releasing the sketch of him to the media?

And this was a (seemingly rare) sketch that actually resembled the criminal.

by Anonymousreply 85January 26, 2021 1:37 AM

R60 Long post warning...I can tell you my personal experience with the Night Stalker. I was seven at the time. If you watch the first episode, you see them feature a news story about a child kidnapped at an elementary school. That was my school. I was in second grade and the victim was in first. Her mother was a little late picking her up and she was kidnapped by Ramirez, sexually assaulted, tied up in a bag and tossed in a dumpster. She was found alive, but the school hushed it up and the police never prosecuted that crime.

By chance, two of the murder victims (male) and their wives (rape victims) were known to my family. One couple was my father’s patients. I remember clearly Dad coming home, looking really sad, and telling us the news while tearing up and saying, “He was a really nice man. Such a nice man.”

The other couple were friends of friends. Their incident occurred shortly after the bungled Chinatown dentist debacle. I didn’t know the lady was a victim of Ramirez until years later when I saw her name in a book. I cried reading what happened to her, it was inhumane. She was a quiet, petite woman who sat quietly at church, who never remarried, never lived in a detached house again and I know she and her kids suffered greatly from the attack. My last connection was that Ramirez was caught on the street where many of my friends lived.

To say were were frightened out of our minds doesn’t even begin to tell the half of it. My parents didn’t have an alarm system (who did back then?). Their idea of security was putting bars in the windows and sliding doors. My dad also put a deadbolt on the master bedroom door and we all moved into my parents room at night, mattresses on the floor, until he was caught.

I’m sad he died of natural causes. He deserved the death penalty and his victims didn’t get true justice. Ramirez spent his time in jail getting his rotten teeth fixed on the public dime, getting married, getting nude pics from demented sluts, writing to pen pals and masturbating in front of guards for kicks. I was also taken aback by how mellow he looked in his last picture, like a happy go lucky hippy. Hope he’s burning in hell and I hope those groupies had some bad karma for idolizing a turd who raped and killed innocents.

by Anonymousreply 86January 26, 2021 3:15 AM

R86 oooof. That’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 87January 26, 2021 5:54 PM

Idk why I decided to watch this late, but i just finished it and I am TERRIFIED. I can’t sleep.

We all know about Richard Ramirez and his killings but seeing photos, getting details and seeing photos and videos of Ramirez made me feel scared.

There were shots of his eyes up close and I had to look down. He was TERRIFYING

by Anonymousreply 88February 7, 2021 4:56 AM

I'm betting that at some point Netflix (or another company) will put together a short documentary on the death of Robert Wone. That is such a bizarre case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 7, 2021 5:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!