Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

VPN issues

Over the past two weeks the VPN for my work computer has sometimes abruptly ended several times a day. And then other days it works fine. And my home pc has been working fine.

The help desk at work says to have the Internet provider come out and run tests and that the wire from the modem may have to be sealed with rubber caps.

Has anyone else run into this?

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2021 1:55 PM

Yes. It happened to a coworker. All our connections were fine but hers kept going in and out

Turns out it was her WiFi/Internet.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 10:36 PM

I have no issues at all with VPNs.

Especially in either basketball shorts or grey sweatpants.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 11:00 PM

“ wire from the modem may have to be sealed with rubber caps.”. That’s a dumb, bullshit answer from your IT department. If you tell your internet company this, they will laugh.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 11:02 PM

I recently subscribed for two years to NordVPN because there is a site I use frequently that provides streams of broadcasts from cable news channels in the States. After reading about several providers, I opted for NordVPN mostly because it seemed secure enough, talked about fast speeds and gave me the best deal at 70% off their listed price. I've been using it about two weeks and...my VPN connections regularly slow my connections by 2/3. I just had a fibre connection installed last October with speeds of up to 150 MBs/per sec and it really delivers. My question is: do I really need a VPN connection?

I'm thinking maybe I should spend less time paying attention to the news over there and more time enjoying the fast internet speeds I'm paying (a reasonable price) for. Is there such a thing as a "fast" VPN?

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2021 11:45 AM

Is there any such thing as a “fast” VPN or do they all induce a speed hit?

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 3:22 PM

Depends on the capacity of the VPN server. Basically, your internet speed gets you to the VPN as fast as possible and then the VPN server goes and hits the site/data you're trying to reach. If that VPN's internet speed isn't great, or if there are to many people connected and using it, it'll slow everything down.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2021 3:30 PM

I'm so used to seeing VPL on DL that it took me a second.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2021 3:52 PM

Thanks for that, R6! Do you think it's worth looking for a better VPN service than NordVPN? I'm not sure I had the right expectation. It's fine for casual browsing and YouTube but no good really with big downloads (torrents and things).

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2021 1:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!