Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Authentic Italian cuisine

I'm a flyover gay who has only gone overseas to visit Hawaii.

If I were to try authentic Italian cuisine, what would I find most surprising?

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2021 9:00 PM

It tastes nothing like Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote]what would I find most surprising?

In the fancy places pasta is often just a starter and NOT a feature, nor is pizza.

Also (in the fancy places) if they do serve pasta it's in very small portions. Four ravioli for example. I once sent it back and said give me more, no way is that enough.

Also, they don't have cheese on all pasta dishes, never if there's fish or mushrooms in the sauce.

I always add multo cheese to any pasta dish and the Italians shake their heads. I say "Gurl this is how we do it in England!"

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 7:43 PM

R2 what is the main course then?

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 7:48 PM

R2 what is the main course then?

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 7:48 PM

R3 R4, the main course is food.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 7:56 PM

A lot of what Americans think is Italian food is actually American. Also, in my experience of trying to re-create authentic Italian at home, I find myself preferring American Italian food. A number of the most popular authentic, non-pasta Italian dishes are extremely overrated, Osso Bucco for example. Italians also have terrible desserts. The only good ones that take a decent amount of effort are tiramisu and budino.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 8:10 PM

[quote]Italians also have terrible desserts

Same with their cakes and cookies.

Ghastly cannoli for example.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 8:12 PM

Here's a nice main course to follow pasta, Marcella Hazan's Roast Chicken with Lemons. I've made it any number of times, with potatoes and a green vegetable as sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] Also, in my experience of trying to re-create authentic Italian at home, I find myself preferring American Italian food.

You really can't recreate Italian food outside of Italy as their produce (and dairy products) taste markedly different than in other parts of the world. Even the tinned tomatoes you can get imported from Italy aren't quite the same.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote]I always add multo cheese to any pasta dish

It's 'molto'

Example:

R2 è molto cuntissimo

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 9:10 PM

The lack of tomato. Americans put fucking tomatoes in EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 9:31 PM

Depending on which region you’re in, the main course is generally a fish, shellfish, sausage or rabbit/fowl ragu. And as with every country other than America, the portions are small and perfect.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 9:34 PM

Pasta is often served just warm, Lasagna for instance - not piping hot.

I've been served Lasagna in London and it's still bubbling from the oven.

you'll never see meatballs with spaghetti - that's an American speciality.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 9:42 PM

A traditional Italian dinner has three courses: The "antipasto", something light to nibble on, although given the antipasto spread at a good restaurant in Italy, the temptation is to shovel it in. The "primo" or first course, which is usually soup, pasta (small portion), polenta (likewise), or something meatless. The "secondo", which is the meat course, which can be meat, fowl, or fish. Also a small portion by US standards. Fruit or dessert after, if desired, as a lot of Italian desserts are kind of bland. Gelato never fails, though!

I read that years ago, when Rome was having a drought and severe water shortage, the government tried to get the population to conserve water by stopping the three-course dinner, which meant washing three plates per person every day. They refused, to an Italian it's just not a meal without three plates of food!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 10:33 PM

Yes, we had a really good thread about Italian pastries, how they're not so great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 10:38 PM

Eh! It's anyting my Nona made, you fuckin' fanuc!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 10:45 PM

I love people like, R15 - he's the DL-gay-cyclopedia.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 11:13 PM

I loved the fruit cup desserts when we were in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2021 12:19 AM

The main course is usually meat, poultry, or fish. It's called "second" or second dish. The "primi" dish is usually pasta of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2021 12:56 AM

Real Italian spaghetti is made from worms not wheat.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2021 12:58 AM

(R19) here. Meant to type "secondi"

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2021 1:01 AM

What are lunches like? Pizza? Calzones? Panini? Soup? Torta Rustica?

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2021 1:14 AM

Food in restaurants is much more rustic in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2021 1:17 AM

I predict this will span three 600-post threads..

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2021 1:32 AM

Italians use moka pots to make coffee (stovetop coffee device). It's what I use (U.S.). It's so inexpensive and makes a strong, HOT cup of coffee. Not sure why more ppl don't use it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2021 1:33 AM

OP, here's what you do. Go on google maps and type in "trattoria" with some Italian city. Then click on one of them and click on their menu. Then see what would shock you the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2021 1:41 AM

That authentic Italian pizza looks like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2021 4:17 AM

R27 I kind of like the simplicity of it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote] That authentic Italian pizza looks like this: r27

Not in Rome it doesn't!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2021 8:28 PM

[quote]Italians also have terrible desserts.

This sentence is utterly negated if one includes gelato.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2021 8:37 PM

Op, you sound very cute! Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote] I once sent it back and said give me more, no way is that enough.

Did they, you fat whore?

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2021 8:44 PM

What r9 said. Italian cooking is about high quality ingredients. Italy had great produce and the style of cooking reflected that, relatively simple cooking that is ingredient forward.

That is why places like Olive Garden really are a complete bastardizarion of Italian cooking.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2021 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!