Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which Carol Burnett guest walked out on the show before taping?

[quote]“During our 11-year run, there was only one guest who was a royal pain,” she wrote. “I won’t name him, but he wasn’t a happy camper from the get-go. We tried to accommodate him at every turn, but to no avail.” The cast wasn’t particularly upset when the contentious co-star decided to leave before show time. “We later learned he was ‘on’ something, which might’ve explained his orneriness,” Burnett remarked. “At any rate, it came as no surprise when he simply decided to walk the day before we were to tape the show.”

[quote]While Burnett wouldn’t identify the unpleasant celebrity, she did reveal the nickname he was given by someone on the production team. “He was a belligerent little SOB,” the variety show star wrote. “I say ‘little’ because he was very short, which prompted one of our writers to label him ‘a pony’s ass’.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2021 7:37 PM

Paul Williams

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 5:42 PM

Paul Williams?

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 5:42 PM

Dudley Moore?

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 5:43 PM

It's Paul Williams. He's discussed this since the event and I believe he apologized privately to Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 5:44 PM

I'll bet it was Paul Williams, as others said. That makes perfect sense. What a moron!

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 5:45 PM

Thank you. I knew you bitches would know off the tops of your heads.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 5:46 PM

It was toddler Tammy Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 5:55 PM

Apparently, he has a temper as short as his height.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 6:05 PM

I'm happy Paul Williams was not on the show. He wrote some good songs, but as an actor/singer he was an annoying little fug, very unappealing in every way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 6:14 PM

Helen Lawson never walked away before a taping, but that didn’t mean they could air the show. I’d love to get access to the CBS archives.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 6:27 PM

Seemed like Paul Williams was EVERYWHERE on tv in the 70s. Game shows, talk shows, variety shows, guest spots... could never figure out why this little goon was so ubiquitous.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 7:37 PM

Capote.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2021 6:38 PM

Oops, I do see elsewhere that it was Williams.

Capote would have been a little too much of a hothouse flower for TCBS. I loved her and the show, but it was definitely mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2021 6:39 PM

Billy Barty

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2021 6:40 PM

I think bloated fetuses make poor guests on television, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote]I loved her and the show, but it was definitely mainstream.

R13, true, though the original Family sketches were pretty edgy, at least for that time. I remember a lady my mother worked for who said she wouldn't watch them because they were "too vulgar."

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2021 8:43 PM

It was the backward-talking dwarf from Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] Sober since 1990, Williams has been active in the field of recovery from addictions and became a Certified Drug Rehabilitation Counselor through UCLA. In 2014, he co-authored Gratitude and Trust: Recovery is Not Just for Addicts, with Tracey Jackson.

A sober author and counselor, Paul Williams has been a shit to work with from beginning to end. He’s Proto-Covid, changing just enough to remain present while torturing everyone about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2021 8:57 PM

He wrote some lovely songs.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2021 8:52 AM

There's a corny and honest documentary about him ("Paul Williams Still Alive") that covers everything mentioned here. Paul grew sick of himself, too.

He wrote memorable and beautiful songs and humbly repented for his sins. I forgave him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2021 6:38 PM

Looks like someone mentioned in the trivia for this episode that ads showed Paul Williams was supposed to appear, but he didn't. You guys are good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote]He wrote some lovely songs.

He called Karen Carpenter fat.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 6:43 PM

[quote] "He wrote some lovely songs."

[quote] He called Karen Carpenter fat.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2021 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!