Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Confirmation Hearing for Biden's National Intelligence Chief Abruptly Postponed

The first confirmation hearing for one of President-elect Joe Biden’s crucial cabinet posts has been abruptly rescheduled, the ranking members of the Senate Intelligence Committee said on Thursday.

Biden announced in November that Avril Haines, who held top national security jobs under former President Barack Obama, would become his director of national intelligence in his administration. The virtual hearing was scheduled for Friday but was postponed, NBC News reports.

A Republican Senate aide told NBC News that there is no rescheduled date yet for the postponed hearing, but the delay occurred in part because members wanted to be able to attend in person. The aide said they do not expect this to “significantly delay the confirmation process.” Another aide said the Senate hopes to hold the hearing on Tuesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 3:57 PM

Are they still playing games?

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 10:32 AM

"A Republican Senate aide told NBC News that there is no rescheduled date yet for the postponed hearing, but the delay occurred in part because members wanted to be able to attend in person. The aide said they do not expect this to “significantly delay the confirmation process.” Another aide said the Senate hopes to hold the hearing on Tuesday."

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 10:34 AM

^this stinks. something is up.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 10:34 AM

This can't be good.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 10:39 AM

It could be due to the impeachment. I remember a talking head saying one of the reasons it’s a good idea to wait until after Joe has 100 days in office was because during an impeachment trial, all other work of the Senate ceases.

Idk, just throwing it out there.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 10:43 AM

How many of us in DL believe Dump and his depraved crew have some fuckery to unleash on Jan. 20? Biden is okay with not having any security briefings as any newly-elected President is customarily granted and now is not being allowed to seat his own intelligence appointments. Would any other incoming Administration tolerate this?...especially given how depraved Dump's bunch is?

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 10:52 AM

I never trust Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 12:01 PM

She could be a lost Bronte sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 12:03 PM

No, Biden was NOT okay with not getting briefings, R6, where did you even come up with that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 12:19 PM

Dump has been blocked by the White House since Nov 3. Nothing has been done about it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 1:00 PM

^^Say what?

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 1:28 PM

John Cornyn did not want to hold a virtual hearing so he caused a stink. It doesn’t look like the confirmation is too much off schedule as of now

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 1:31 PM

I don't even know what R10 is trying to say.

Biden has been getting briefings since November but he says they'd been facing roadblocks with regard to key information. We now know that was probably part of the whole plan for the coup.

But he has been getting briefings, he very clearly wasn't just accepting it like r6 claimed, and there's no indication that this has anything to do with the two-day delay on the confirmation hearing, where they moved it from Friday and hope to now have it on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote] How many of us in DL believe Dump and his depraved crew have some fuckery to unleash on Jan. 20?

Not me! Much too incompetent. As I’ve been saying for five + years, Trump is good at nothing except one thing — manipulating stupid people.

Anyway even if “they” were planning “something,” why would this hearing need to be postponed? What difference would it make to “their” plans?

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 2:11 PM

Just make him acting chief. Like Cheeto did.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 3:11 PM

If you want to be mad, please direct your anger at the source of the problem. There is truly only so much Joe can do until he’s installed — he cannot physically force them to do what they refuse to do. It is outrageous, and I’m totally pissed too, but when I hear some of you start bitching at Joe I want to scream. Can you just one time zip it? Is that too much to ask for your country that you not undermine Joe at this fragile and dangerous moment?!?! JFC.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 3:21 PM

I don't understand what the big deal is. Trump had "acting" officials. Why do Dems have to be the ones who wring their hands at the prospect of doing the same? Because the media make it a thing? How spineless are we? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 3:28 PM

I'm not sure the people who complain about Biden are always from this country, R16. We have at least one person from the UK and one Canadian who complain about Biden nonstop, and on Twitter I always see people complaining who it turns out don't even live in the US. A lot of Australians, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 3:41 PM

I, for one, could care less about what games twice-impeached President Dump and his minions are trying to play or have up their sleeves; IT IS OVER. He and those under him will only tighten the nooses around their necks if they continue their shenanigans and that’s just fine by me. The future looks extremely bleak for all of them anyway.

They are digging their heels in the way a prisoner headed for execution would. It is both understandable and [italic]bathes[/italic] me in relief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 3:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!