Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sorry, but no one, NO ONE, does this number better than Ben Vereen.

Literally no one can come close.

He's terrifying and so damned sexy and fascinating at the same time.

This should be a Ben Vereen tribute thread, cause everything he does is phenomenal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 4:02 PM

Thanks, OP!

I never got Vereen when he was younger, I saw him on TV when I was younger, and he always seemed annoying and try-hard when I saw him. I guess he was meant for the stage.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 5:36 AM

OP - I LOVE this number. It's dark, funny and thrilling here and it was in the revival, too. For me, it's "and" not "or". I love Ben Vereen's performance and I loved Patina Miller's too. Patina goes almost Grace Jones in her performance of Glory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 5:46 AM

Damn! Didn't realize the clip cuts off before the end of the number. It's still fantastic. Though, OP, I don't deny that the original staging with Ben Vereen is perhaps darker and even more sinister.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 5:53 AM

I saw Patina in the role, R2. She was good, but can't compare to Ben. He owns it imo.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 5:53 AM

You're right that the original staging with Vereen was darker and more sinister, R2. Miller is very talented, but I think it's Vereen's mastery of Fosse choreography which gives him the edge. Check him out in this clip. He's absolutely phenomenal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 4:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!