Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Large bitcoin payments to right-wing activists a month before Capitol riot linked to foreign account

WASHINGTON — On Dec. 8, someone made a simultaneous transfer of 28.15 bitcoins — worth more than $500,000 at the time — to 22 different virtual wallets, most of them belonging to prominent right-wing organizations and personalities.

Now cryptocurrency researchers believe they have identified who made the transfer, and suspect it was intended to bolster those far-right causes. U.S. law enforcement is investigating whether the donations were linked to the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2021 10:04 AM

Hello? Isn't this the smoking gun here?

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 2:55 AM

"$500,000 at the time — to 22 different virtual wallets, most of them belonging to prominent right-wing organizations and personalities."

There are only so many people who have that kind of money to shell out. It was probably washed through one of the pacs.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 2:56 AM

R2 this is beyond PAC money, this is Putin.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 3:00 AM

I thought BTC was supposed to be anonymous?

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 3:03 AM

IF it is possible, they will eventually find out. Some people are going to be desperate to stop this.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 3:05 AM

I’m taking names and numbers! We gonna find those receipts! Let’s see who the real pussies are!

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 3:11 AM

[quote]I thought BTC was supposed to be anonymous?

Every bitcoin transaction is recorded in the blockchain. Depending on how careful the people behind the transactions are (or aren't), they might be traceable back to the parties making and receiving the payments.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 3:15 AM

Lets take guesses of where the money came from...

If the total was an even number, like exactly 500k, spread out over 22 wallets, then here is my guess:

Mark Medows... I just have a feeling he was behind the actual payment...

He may have sent it through a PAC...

I don't think this money was for any of the big guys...If the money was for Bannon or Manafort, the sum would be higher... so I am guessing they have been compensated through other avenues.

This would have been a middle men rate... if was payments of $25,00 k here or $10k there, these are middle men who would have people both over and under them. They would have had to use some of the cash to pay for supplies a bodies.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 3:19 AM

Peter Thiel.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 3:28 AM

Right-wing figures and websites, including VDARE, the Daily Stormer and Nick Fuentes, received generous donations from a bitcoin account linked to a French cryptocurrency exchange, according to research done by software company Chainalysis, which maintains a repository of information about public cryptocurrency exchanges and whose tools aid in government, law enforcement and private sector investigations. Chainalysis investigated the donations after Yahoo News shared the data points about the nsacti n.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 3:34 AM

During a press conference on Tuesday on the investigation into the Capitol riot, acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin said the “scope and scale of this investigation in these cases are really unprecedented.” At this time, Sherwin added, prosecutors are treating the matter as a “significant counterterrorism or counterintelligence investigation” involving deeper dives into “money, travel records, disposition, movement, communication records.”

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 3:35 AM

A 2017 Washington Post investigation explored how far-right groups turned even more aggressively toward bitcoin following the deadly August 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Va. The story cited research by the nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center that identified a large bitcoin donation to Andrew Anglin, the editor of the Daily Stormer, a prominent neo-Nazi website that accepts bitcoin donations. At the time, the donation was worth around $60,000.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 3:36 AM

"Now cryptocurrency researchers believe they have identified who made the transfer"

"The source of the funding, according to research conducted by Chainanalysis, appears to be a computer programmer based in France who created an account in 2013 — and who maintained a personal blog, which was not updated between 2014 and Dec. 9, 2020, the day after the “donations.”

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 3:38 AM

Maybe it was just funneled through the international source? What a web.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 3:41 AM

That's what I'm thinking, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2021 9:38 AM

They got a patsy for the Hunter laptop fiasco, I'm sure they could find a patsy for this scheme, too. Probably hired a tech guy who said he could get the payments made securely without governments detecting it.

I agree with r8 that this was about the middlemen, this isn't enough money for the top guys.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2021 10:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!