Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peter Mark Richman, Actor in 'Dynasty,' 'Three's Company' and 'Friendly Persuasion,' Dies at 93

The Philadelphia native went from being a licensed pharmacist to a busy performer known for his intense roles.

Peter Mark Richman, the pharmacist turned ubiquitous character actor who showed up in such films as Friendly Persuasion and The Black Orchid and on TV shows including Dynasty and Three's Company, has died. He was 93.

Richman died Thursday morning of natural causes at his home in Woodland Hills, publicist Harlan Boll announced.

Richman starred as a former mob lawyer who teams with the FBI to bring criminals to justice on the 1961-62 NBC series Cain's Hundred and played Andrew Laird, a savvy attorney for Denver-Carrington Oil and the Carrington family, on ABC's Dynasty from 1981-84.

He also was the Reverend Snow, the father of Suzanne Somers' Chrissy Snow, on ABC's Three's Company in 1978-79.

Richman portrayed a state trooper seemingly stalked by giants on a memorable 1964 Twilight Zone episode, "The Fear," and he guest-starred on dozens of other series during his eight-decade career — from Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Ben Casey, The Outer Limits, The Fugitive, Bonanza and Mannix to Too Close for Comfort, Hotel, Murder, She Wrote, Fantasy Island and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The son of a painting and paper-hanging contractor, Richman was born in Philadelphia on April 16, 1927. After graduating from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science as a licensed pharmacist in two states, he joined the Actors Studio and in 1953 starred in Calder Willingham's End as a Man on Broadway.

In 1956, he stepped in for Ben Gazzara on Broadway in A Hatful of Rain and later portrayed Jerry in more than 400 performances of Edward Albee's The Zoo Story.

Director William Wyler brought him to Hollywood to portray a cavalry officer in Friendly Persuasion (1956), starring Gary Cooper and Dorothy McGuire, and he starred opposite Sophia Loren and Anthony Quinn in The Black Orchid (1958), helmed by Martin Ritt.

His big-screen résumé also included The Strange One (1967), Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear (1991), Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan and 4 Faces (1999), which he wrote based on his one-man play.

Richman wrote another play, A Medal for Murray, which ran for two years in Israel, plus novels, short stories and an autobiography — 2018's I Saw a Molten White Light — and was an accomplished painter, too.

In 1990, Richman received the Silver Medallion from the Motion Picture & Television Fund for outstanding humanitarian achievement. He was also honored with the Sybil Brand Humanitarian Award from the Jeffrey Foundation that year.

Survivors include his wife of 67 years, actress Helen Richman; children Howard (and his wife, Cherie), Kelly (Loren), Lucas (Debbie) — he's a Grammy-winning conductor — Orien (Alevé) and Roger; and grandchildren Jenny, Lily, Max, Julia, Oliver and Danica.

Memorial contributions in honor of Richman can be made to the Motion Picture & Television Fund.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 11:54 AM

Has his wife been reached for comment?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 1:06 AM

“He was like butter”, R1

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 1:13 AM

Great chin!

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 1:14 AM

Sexy man. Virile, but warm presence in “Friendly Persuasion.”

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 1:32 AM

He always looked stern and scary as hell to me as a kid but he was everywhere in the late 70s and early 80s. Didn't he do In Search of...?

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 1:43 AM

He was a terrible lawyer for Blake.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 1:45 AM

I marathoned the Friday films after I got the box set and he was the main reason I loved part 8 so much. At the time, I was surprised he was still alive but at least he lived a long life and remained active until the end.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 1:48 AM

He was hot when he was young, and a good actor, too

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 1:48 AM

Reminded me of Ricardo Montalban who was also in the Naked Gun series. Surprised to find out he's apparently Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 1:50 AM

He was the original CC Capwell on Santa Barbara when it debuted in summer 1984.

Lloyd Bochner was scheduled to play CC Captwell, but had to drop out when he had a heart attack shortly before taping on the new soap began. Peter Mark Richman stepped in to play CC in the first several months of the show.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 1:53 AM

Son Orien is an actor, used to be quite cute.

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 1:57 AM

Damn good actor. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 1:57 AM

Oh, Daddy. 😢

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 2:05 AM

Stories like this terrify me. I don’t want to die. Not even at 93, at home, of natural causes.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 2:48 AM

I get him mixed up with this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 2:49 AM

In the original 1960 off-broadway production of Edward Albee's THE ZOO STORY, he replaced George Maharis. Maharis performed for a week and then Richman took over as Jerry. Williams Daniels was Peter. I never knew this until today. Thanks internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote] Surprised to find out he's apparently Jewish.

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 4:32 AM

R10, Joan Collins REALLY wanted Bochner to play CC; when he had the heart attack, she freaked out and demanded he be okay

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 4:35 AM

I must have read in Soap Digest at least 10 times in the 80s and early 90s; 'My friend Betty and I have a bet; I say Jed Allan is the only actor to have played CC Capwell and she says a few different actors did. Can you answer this question? We have a steak dinner riding on this!' - Matilda, Buffalo, NY

Dear Matilda,

Get ready to take Betty out for that steak! Actors LLoyd Bochner, Peter Mark Richman, Paul Burke, and Charles Bateman all played CC prior to Allan being cast. (thought Bochner's episodes never aired!)

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 4:47 AM

In his television roles, he was always credited as 'Mark Richman.' A decade or so ago, I was reviewing IMDb episode entries on 'The Outer Limits,' and was startled to see that he'd changed his IMDb entry to include his first name, Peter.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2021 5:34 AM

Richman was actually my favorite CC. I really disliked the next two guys. Jed Allan was pretty great too, but there was something about Richman that I always missed.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2021 5:49 AM

[quote] Surprised to find out he's apparently Jewish.

Oy! Quite shocking I know.

Talk among yourselves, I’m a little verklempt.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2021 11:14 AM

Lol, R14. There was an entire stableful of 60s-80s actors who were kinda interchangeable, but were superb actors with the great voices one misses in today's actors.

Joseph Campanella, PM Richman, Lloyd Bochner, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr, Ben Gazzara (though he had more sexy charisma than the others), Monte Markham, Fritz Weaver, Arthur Hill, and half a dozen more I can't recall atm...

...Plus the black version, Hari Rhodes.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 11:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!